How the Hell is AJ Styles Overrated?

AJ Styles is one of the best in ring performers out there. You could put him on par with Punk, Bryan, Jericho, Hart, and so on. BUT...... he is lacking in promo skills. Styles on a mic puts me to sleep. And this horrid storyline he's in now doesn't help matters.

I dont think Punk and Jericho are in AJ Styles league at this moment of time, he is too quick, he would embarrass them. I believe he is beyond Shawn Michaels in his prime aswell.

The only person that comes close to matching AJ abilities in the WWE is Bryan Danielson.

"Overrated" is a term which has to be applied from one person to another person, so saying "is this guy overrated" is necessarily a subjective term depending on who's talking. I think he's valued just about right by the movers and shakers in TNA/IW, and I think that depending on which forum member is talking, he can be over or underrated.

First, you have to understand what AJ Styles is not. He just isn't a tentpole guy that you build a company around. He's gotten the opportunity to prove himself. He received the single greatest microphone worker in the history of professional wrestling as a manager, and people didn't care. He's involved in a cringe-worthy storyline right now that is the definition of a time-killer; people just seem happy that AJ is featured in something, without looking at what this puts him into a position to do afterwards.

If you think AJ Styles should be a world champion carrying TNA/IW, yeah, you're overrating him. That's a job he's had an opportunity at, and he didn't fit the bill.

BIG BOLDFACED HOWEVER- There is a common misconception on these boards that if a guy isn't a WHC or moving in that direction, he's a nobody. Keep in mind that professional wrestling titles aren't prizes that are earned based on you being superior to others in your sport; it's a decision made by television producers in order to create money. There are two hours of Impact! to fill every week. You need supporting events; one match does not make a pay-per-view.

This is where AJ has his true value to TNA/IW. He's a reliable performer who can be counted on night after night. You don't hear about him on the dirt sheets being pulled over for a DUI. He's the Cal Ripken of TNA/IW; not the BEST hitter of his generation, not the BEST fielding shortstop, but pretty damned good at both and as reliable as a Swiss watch.

I'd expect to see him in a lot more of these #2 style storylines. Hopefully, next time the writers will think of something good.

"Overrated" is a term which has to be applied from one person to another person, so saying "is this guy overrated" is necessarily a subjective term depending on who's talking. I think he's valued just about right by the movers and shakers in TNA/IW, and I think that depending on which forum member is talking, he can be over or underrated.

While that is certainly one way of looking at it, I always have looked at the concept of overrated in general as a conglomeration of these individual opinions. Clearly, anyone or anything will have some people that accurately assess their merits, some that overly hate and others that excessively celebrate. To determine if something is overrated it requires guessing at the distribution of these groupings. For someone like AJ I would suggest his biggest grouping is the accurately rated one. Then again, such a system does require a universal truth to exist for the true talent ranking, when in practice this is usually just an individuals whim since some people might consider something like drawing important for example while others don't as much.

You could also argue that those that accurately rate someone should be ignored and just figure out if there are more that overrate or underrate someone. In that case I would probably argue that AJ is underrated, although this is less evident in the IWC. Those that underrate AJ tend to be WWE supremacists, while those that overrate AJ tend to be Indy marks. I reach my conclusion since the numbers game is heavily in the favor of the WWE supremacists.

Let's be real, Daniel Bryan is great on the mic but was awful at it a year ago. Just look at his babyface promos in wwe and his promos on NXT. He is good at it now bcuz of the WWE script's. Everything is written for them except for the veteran's who have been in the game for 20+ year's. AJ Styles is still young in the business and is getting better every year with his psychology and mic skills. HBK wasn't a great storyteller as he is now until after he came back from his hiatus, also Bret Hart was not that good on the mic only thing he had was a great catch-phrase (so does Daniel Bryan). If Styles had a catchy catchphrase then every1 would think he is great on the mic also, the guy at least show's great intensity on the mic like a babyface character should.

Remember Styles, Bryan & Punk come from the same generation of indy wrestler's (they have all wrestled each other in the indy's) & each one have different wrestling style's which is what you want in wrestling. You don't want every1 wrestling the same way. To me just from a WRESTLING standpoint AJ Styles is the best in the world bcuz he is the most well-rounded. The other 2 rely on their kicking too much, although remember the WWE limits the move-set's of their talent (look at the moves Punk use to pull off in ROH for example).

Honestly just like HBK, Jericho & Flair when you can make lesser talent look great then you are that damn good= AJ Style's

AJ Styles have been in tna for about 10 years and still haven't gotta any better all i hear AJ Styles fans say look at AJ Styles old matches he had in tna 10 years ago? ok he had some great matches back than but where did all that get him in tna?no where aj styles is not even a huge draw to tna tell you the truth i dont know why tna still have this guy around all i see is the same old AJ Styles i seen back 10 years ago in tna

AJ is one of the most athleticwrestlers out there!I dont see anyone else doing a 450 off the ropes (not turnbuckle) from halfway across the ring & nailing it! #PespectAJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back