Hogan is coming back to Raw

Psykohurricane55

Staff member
So it's just being announce that Hogan will be on Raw this monday to pay tribute to the late ''Mean'' Gene okerlund.

Personally, i don'T see the harm in all of this since they were great friend through the years and if they're somebody that gene is most associate with it's Hulk Hogan as it was Hogan that brought gene in the WWE as they were friend when Hogan was in the AWA and then the same thing happened in the 90's when hogan left for WCW and Gene followed him. They even had a tag match together in the mid 80's. So who better to do a tribute to one of the greatest interviewers of all time then Hulk Hogan.

My only worry is that fans might want to do what they do best and take over the segment by booing Hogan out of the building which would be the worst thing i would have seen fans do. I really hope that for once, they will respect the memory of gene okerlund during the segment and keep whatever feeling they have toward hogan to themselves. Anyway, i'm glad that Hogan will be doing this as Gene truly considered him a friend

A lot of wrestlers that were close friends of Gene who worked with him and other people in the wrestling industry are still around. They had enough time to do interviews whether video/audio and build a segment to him. Figures Hogan has to come hog some of the limelight again like he did when they had him induct Savage. They are so over the place in their leanings/response on controversial people and subjects, depending on ratings/money/backlash. When Dynamite Kid and Larry Ax Hennig died they got no image or video on RAW/Smackdown. The report/rumor was they didn't give Hennig an image because they didn't put one for Dynamite because of Dynamite's 'controversial' past and there would have been complaints if they had put one tribute and not the either. So they decide to not honor either person.

A lot of wrestlers that were close friends of Gene who worked with him and other people in the wrestling industry are still around. They had enough time to do interviews whether video/audio and build a segment to him. Figures Hogan has to come hog some of the limelight again like he did when they had him induct Savage.

Hahaha, 2019 only just started and you’re already in the running for stupidest comment of the year. Hogan is the best fit for this, they fit like Howard Cosell and Muhammad Ali. Hogan is hogging no one’s spotlight, especially at this point, where WWE is under no obligation to bring Hogan in, even with Mean Gene’s passing. But since they are going all out, no one better than Hogan, to do the honors.

And Hogan’s 2015 induction of Savage was handled just fine, if you want to see a hatchet job of an induction, watch Flair induct Sting, all he could do was talk about his daughter Charlotte, and he came off drunk as a skunk.

Thanks fot the laugh-inducing shit post...

Interesting to see what kind of tea tion he gets from the live crowd. Many will be glad to see him, no doubt. But honestly, WWE fans are unforgiving and will give him a torrid time. The only saving grace, I reckon, is the reason why he's there. People respected Mean Gene more than most in wrestling. This really seems like the WWE making the most of a really shitty situation to get Hogan back on WWE TV. I'm not actually sure how to feel about this.

I'm guessing that he is recording a segment to say some nice short words and the live audience audio will be off. WWE is just leaving out these details because they want people to tune in to see what level of train wreck a Hogan appearance might cause.

I mean think about it, how much time are you going to give to Gene? No offense to him, but they don't exactly do live eulogies on Raw (yes, Owen was different). It would be kind of a crowd killer with or without Hogan. I'm not spending my money to sit in a large crowd for 20 minutes dedicated to a memorial service.

My prediction is that WWE is trying to make make more of this than it will be.

I'm guessing that he is recording a segment to say some nice short words and the live audience audio will be off. WWE is just leaving out these details because they want people to tune in to see what level of train wreck a Hogan appearance might cause.

I mean think about it, how much time are you going to give to Gene? No offense to him, but they don't exactly do live eulogies on Raw (yes, Owen was different). It would be kind of a crowd killer with or without Hogan. I'm not spending my money to sit in a large crowd for 20 minutes dedicated to a memorial service.

My prediction is that WWE is trying to make make more of this than it will be.

says you. Gene was HUGE part of the WWFs original ascension to the national stage; he was the interview guy for everybody and his voice is just as iconic as Heenan, Monsoon, Ventura, Hogan or Savage, people universally loved Gene in and out of the business so I think he will get time on RAW and I dont think the fans in the stands will be upset in the slightest about it

Raw is in Orlando. I believe he will be recieved well as he has a business here (Hogan's Beach Shop). It could be argued that Gene's career was aligned heavily with Hogan's. They both have AWA ties from early in each of their careers. Gene was there for all of the Immortal Hulk Hogan Run, he was there for the Run in WCW as Hollywood Hulk Hogan, providing some great interview moments. Go back and watch the heel turn at Bash at the Beach. Those two made for a great ending of the PPV. I hope that Hogan is recieved well and that it is legitimately a memorial to Gene who provided entertainment to several generations of fans and was instrumental to many wrestlers. I hope they dont use Hogan being out there to further anyones storyline i.e. Brock, Cena, Rollins who are all supposed to be there on Monday. Now Ric Flair is scheduled to be there also to help memorialize Mean Gene. Things are looking positive. I think they may be adding Flair to help counterbalance any negative reaction for Hogan.

Last edited:
Good thing they always bring in past stars to honor passing wrestling personalities otherwise this would reek of ulterior motives.

For me, there's still a whiff of ulterior motives to all this. Of course, I have a suspicious mind and there may genuinely be only good intentions here but, again, it's a wrestling company where Vince McMahon is in charge so I question everything, especially when it's supposed to be something altruistic.

While I'm sure the tribute will be heartfelt, I have trouble believing that Vince's motives are purely to pay tribute even to someone like Mean Gene. A situation like this, with someone so important and prominent to Hulk Hogan's career, with Hogan paying tribute to his old friend, may be the best way to guarantee that Hogan wouldn't get booed out of the building. Raw is taking place in Orlando, so I have a feeling Hogan will get a positive reaction from the crowd in the first place but being out there for the sake of the passing of a long time friend should all but guarantee it; otherwise, it'd be the fans who come off like complete dicks.. Honoring Mean Gene is genuinely good reason to have Hogan appear on Raw because he was highly important in the early days of Hulkamania and his interactions with Hogan helped establish Hogan as a strong babyface for fans to rally behind. Something like the passing of Gene Okerlund is an ideal scenario and it wouldn't surprise me at all if WWE was simply waiting for something like this to happen just so they could bring Hogan back on TV to help pop a rating.

says you.

Well yeah. You quoted me, it is kind of redundant to point out that I said something.

Gene was HUGE part of the WWFs original ascension to the national stage;

Ok.

he was the interview guy for everybody and his voice is just as iconic as Heenan, Monsoon, Ventura, Hogan or Savage,

Let's not get carried away.

people universally loved Gene in and out of the business so I think he will get time on RAW

Never said be wouldn't get time. I just don't think Hogan does a live segment.

and I dont think the fans in the stands will be upset in the slightest about it

They won't get upset with some scattered tributes. Put Hogan out there live then some might get upset but they will probably tone it down out of respect for the dead. They may also reconsider not going to the next Raw if WWE chooses to take too much out of the show for tribute time. People didn't spend their money for that.

Well yeah. You quoted me, it is kind of redundant to point out that I said something.

Ok.

Let's not get carried away.

Never said be wouldn't get time. I just don't think Hogan does a live segment.

They won't get upset with some scattered tributes. Put Hogan out there live then some might get upset but they will probably tone it down out of respect for the dead. They may also reconsider not going to the next Raw if WWE chooses to take too much out of the show for tribute time. People didn't spend their money for that.

lol clearly you weren't around when Gene was doing his thing so ill let the ignorance slide, as far as the crowd goes, why would they care if RAW swapped one long talking segment for another? its been a staple of the show ever since '97

Hahaha, 2019 only just started and you’re already in the running for stupidest comment of the year. Hogan is the best fit for this, they fit like Howard Cosell and Muhammad Ali. Hogan is hogging no one’s spotlight, especially at this point, where WWE is under no obligation to bring Hogan in, even with Mean Gene’s passing. But since they are going all out, no one better than Hogan, to do the honors.

And Hogan’s 2015 induction of Savage was handled just fine, if you want to see a hatchet job of an induction, watch Flair induct Sting, all he could do was talk about his daughter Charlotte, and he came off drunk as a skunk.

Thanks fot the laugh-inducing shit post...

Well for those crapping over my comments, it just been reported that Ric Flair will also be on RAW. I am guessing he is there for the same reason as Hogan. Seems they are probably going in the direction I forecasted and having more than just Hogan for the Gene tribute, and who knows who else whether prerecorded. There is more to just honoring Gene for bringing these legends back live with the way the ratings have been going. It's very easy for people to call other's 'butthurt' smarks. I never hated Hogan, I liked him as a fan. I just find him condescending and not genuine a lot of the time, even before all his problems of the last decade. The fact he has never publicly addressed or try to make amends for his derogatory comments or any negative/controversial things he does just adds to that. I would have been shocked/amused if Hogan had decided to not go to Saudi Arabia for the money and taken a position on something other than Hulk Hogan, brother.

lol clearly you weren't around when Gene was doing his thing so ill let the ignorance slide,

Please, I had itchy pubes and acne by the time Hogan slammed Andre. "Wrestlerock haut soldier" aside (or whatever it was), just pointing out that your statement that Gene's voice is as iconic as those other guys is just either really silly or you being extra nice to a guy who just died. Finkel's voice is more iconic to 80's wrestling than Gene.

as far as the crowd goes, why would they care if RAW swapped one long talking segment for another? its been a staple of the show ever since '97

Because no one is going to be sad. Angry, frustrated, hopeful, excited, aroused, yes. Depressed, no.

I watched the Hogan segment about "Mean" Gene.

Now, granted, I have always seen the anger towards Hogan about his comments as a storm in a teacup (but then, political correctness has made the world go crazy), so I could be accused to being bias in my analysis of it.

But I thought the segment went well.

When Hogan first came out, it was a bit quiet. I wonder if it was a mix of reverence for Mean Gene, and not knowing whether to cheer or boo Hogan.

I liked the video package on Mean Gene. Also, Hogan kept his friend in the spotlight, and spoke like someone giving a eulogy. He didn't hog the spotlight, and make it about him.

At the end, he did start to talk like his character, but that was fitting too, as he pretended to cut a promo where he name-checked some of greats of the industry who have passed, and said that Mean Gene would be up above with Macho Man, Warrior, Piper, Mr Perfect and Andre The Giant. He also seemed to well up emotionally, and put on his sunglasses to hide the tears.

Say what you want about Hogan, but he showed class and made the moment about his friend, not himself. This was one of his better promos, and a fitting tribute to Mean Gene Okerlund (but then, the trolls and haters will never admit that Hogan did a good job here).

say what you want but this was nothing more than vince doing what vince does uses anything he can. was Hulk the best person for this due to history no question what so ever, BUT this was not about gene this was about hulk want proof here you go.

tributes are nearly always done to open the show with every superstar on the ramp to pay respect during the ten bell ring then the video roles or it will go the other way round.

But oh no last night we have a brawl in the back then a promo then another attack then a match and then finally the big tribute with only hulk on thr screen for the 10 bell salute come on how stupid are some of you forget liking or not liking Hulk this was not about gene this was about getting hulk back on TV anyone that wants to try to argue that go ahead i will sit here and laugh at your stupidity but will not be baited in some childish arguemnt just a heads up

I will not argue that point that some of it was about bringing Hogan back on tv because it was. But to say that it had nothing to do with gene is probably the stupidest thing I've ever read. This had everything to do with gene has gene was a big part of WWE until he died last week. That's why they did the tribute the way they did and instead of the usual way, because gene deserved a big celebration and not just the typical, every wrestler on the stage, 10 bell salute, video package they usually do.

This was to celebrate gene as much as it was a way for them to test the water for a Hogan return and anybody that says otherwise is either a Hogan hater or just plain dumb..

I will not argue that point that some of it was about bringing Hogan back on tv because it was. But to say that it had nothing to do with gene is probably the stupidest thing I've ever read. This had everything to do with gene has gene was a big part of WWE until he died last week.

Make up your mind.

This was to celebrate gene as much as it was a way for them to test the water for a Hogan return and anybody that says otherwise is either a Hogan hater or just plain dumb..

Ignoring the fact that you've drifted away from who this segment was about for the second time in the same post... you don't see a problem with this? The segment was tasteful and well done, but that does not negate that Gene's death was exploited to help bring Hogan back under good graces. Completely tactless.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back