Hogan, Bischoff & Jarrett Frustrated with Russo

I agree with the poster who said that a creative mind needs to come from a different prospect than someone who the WWE has let go. I agree that maybe a different approach is needed. If it does not work out then they can go back to the safe formula that they have had in place for years. If they do not take a risk then nothing is gained, taking the road less traveled will probably help them in the long run. I do not know who would be good for this position but what about a fellow wrestler? Who would know more about helping other wrestlers get over than someone who has been doing it for years. Either way I hope that they get things together so TNA/IW gets better.

Everybody's so quick to shit on Bischoff, Hogan and Russo, and you all forget who has the final say.

Dixie.

Isn't it her job to approve what goes on air? It's her duty to decide what's trashed and what's not, and it's also her duty to apply the finishing touches so the idea becomes better, or is molded into something that will work. To me Dixie seems like she doesn't take her own decisions. She listens to what she's told and advised. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but it sure feels like it. Why did the company change so much since Hogan and Bischoff came on board if Dixie is adamant in doing her own thing?

Maybe their ideas would work much better if the filter they all go through wasn't Dixie Carter. To me that filter has to be Eric Bischoff. We can all say "well they can bring someone who [insert perfect traits here]", but that's just dreaming, there are no facts. The only fact is that as of right now the only person qualified to replace Dixie (if it ever happens) is Eric Bischoff. Heyman's not coming, Cornette's not coming, Shane McMahon's not coming. Personally, I'd rather trust TNA with a person like Bischoff than Dixie Carter or Hulk Hogan. That's speaking realistically. La-La Land facts do not count.

I wouldn't like to see Russo go as I've always enjoyed his programming. The attitude era was one of the best periods of wrestling I've witnessed. Someone can make up some crap about how he wasn't responsible for what went on then but the facts are he had exactly the same job then as he does now. So if you're not going to give him credit for the attitude era then don't criticise him for anything you may not like in TNA. I've also never missed an episode of iMPACT! since I started watching. And Russo has written most if not all of those episodes.

I don't think TNA need to change anything or blame anyone, as the show seems to be getting better each week. And is Spikes most successful show so they are clearly delighted with TNA. There's people on here who think TNA can't get any worse yet they continue to watch? And never actually mention what makes it so bad. And why the hell would you continue to watch something you don't like. I find it really hard to understand this mentality. It's pretty damn ******ed if you ask me.

Everybody's so quick to shit on Bischoff, Hogan and Russo, and you all forget who has the final say.

Dixie..

Unfortunatetly, we all know the sad reality of the matter is, Dixie is absolutely clueless to what makes a "good" product in professional wrestling. It's almost akin to Ted Turner's hand in WCW; what you'd be asking for here is that, a decade ago, Ted Turner would have been responsible for the demise of WCW, and would have been responsible for the product's turn to shit years earlier. Dixie's has final say in the same way that the letter Y is a vowel; she does, but at the same time, you know that's utter horseshit. Yes, Dixie has final say on letting Vince's product get out there, but because she doesn't know what makes a good wrestling product, her opinion is just kind of there, and doesn't hold any real authority.

In all fairness, though, Russo's inability to develop long, developed storylines isn't just a weakness that is A. New, or B. Unique to him. The truth is, even at the height of his writing ability, Russo rarely was able to develop a succesful long term storyline. Yes, yes, Austin and McMahon, but if you look at it, that program was built on simple concept, and would just really recycle itself month after month after month. McMahon puts unlikely odds, Austin is in trouble, Austin can't win, Austin finds a way to win. I suppose one could say Taker-Kane is proof of his ability to develop "long storylines". That said, the actual interaction between Kane and Taker lastedjust about three months before the storyline got old. When one of the members of the feud wasn't around, the other character received plenty of development, and the feud could last. When Russo was forced to develop both characters on screen towards their feud, it got old and played out. By June of that year, Taker needed to work with Mankind, to get him away from Kane. The point is, this isn't exactly new for Russo. This is his work, and it's always been based on the instant gratification.

Which, by the way, is exactly how the WWE has been set up, as well. WWE has become a monthly take of recycled storylines, with different faces thrown in, to spice it up. That has been, since the beginning of time, the nature of 95% of wrestling "writing". Wrestling isn't meant to be a long, developed story played out over months anymore. It may have been before, but it isn't now, at all. In that way, Russo's writing gets too much blame. Russo's writing is indicitive of the times, rather than an indictment on his own creation.

That said, change seems to be inevitable at this point. If we're to believe the sheets, there's been too much unrest backstage for anything else to happen. If it means Russo is to go, it's a natural evolution for a company that, internally, seems to need it. That said, if you bring him out of TNA, who are you putting in? Recycling an older name won't work, and most the other good candidates are signed to the WWE. Really, where else can you go but Russo?

I wouldn't like to see Russo go as I've always enjoyed his programming. The attitude era was one of the best periods of wrestling I've witnessed. Someone can make up some crap about how he wasn't responsible for what went on then but the facts are he had exactly the same job then as he does now. So if you're not going to give him credit for the attitude era then don't criticise him for anything you may not like in TNA. I've also never missed an episode of iMPACT! since I started watching. And Russo has written most if not all of those episodes.

The fact is that when Russo worked for the WWF in the Attitude Era, he had to work through a filter. A filter by the name of Vince McMahon. It's common knowledge in wrestling: Jim Ross has said it, Kevin Nash has said it, Shawn Michaels has said it, Triple H has said it and many others have as well that anything that Vince Russo did had to have the approval of Vince McMahon. Every idea, every angle, every storyline all had to be approved by Vince. That doesn't mean that some of the stuff that Vince agreed with were all good ideas, because they weren't. In WWF, Russo's ideas were filtered by Vince and the result was some of the most talked about moments in wrestling, in a good way. In WCW, Russo didn't have to filter his ideas and what we saw was some of the worst wrestling programming to ever make it onto television. Russo didn't kill WCW, I want to make that clear, but he sure as shit didn't do it any favors.

I don't think TNA need to change anything or blame anyone, as the show seems to be getting better each week. And is Spikes most successful show so they are clearly delighted with TNA.

Actually, just about anything to do with the UFC outdraws TNA. Doesn't really have much bearing on the topic at hand, but let's stick with the facts.

There's people on here who think TNA can't get any worse yet they continue to watch?

Many, like me, have continued to watch in the hopes that things will improve. That something will take place on the show that's work watching. Every so often it does happen. There'll be a fun promo segment in which someone gets to shine on the mic usually. Also, last week's match between Kazarian & Brian Kendrick was easily the best match shown on TNA television in 2011. It was a very fun tv match, not an all time classic, but it's been far better than any other match that I've it's way onto iMPACT!/Impact Wrestling.

And never actually mention what makes it so bad.

Yeah, sorry but I call bullshit on this one. PLENTY of people that have criticisms on something that TNA puts out actually come out and say what they don't like and why they don't like it. These forums are filled with posts & threads in which people state what they don't like about TNA. Sure, some of the posts aren't exactly the most articulate or even remotely intelligent, but that's nothing new and you see those sorts of posts in every section of this or any other forum for that matter. As to what I think makes TNA bad:

* Doing the same, repetitive big factioin power struggle/takeover angle time and time again. Vince Russo has been bankrupt creatively for a long time and I guess it's all he's really got.

* Putting so much focus on wrestling personalities that can't contribute physically such as Eric Bischoff & Hulk Hogan.

* Having Hulk Hogan as the general centerpiece of TNA despite the fact that he's not, and is probably physically incapable of being, an active wrestler. It's not uncommon for Hogan to pop up in every other segment on the show.

* Having a locker room full of young, talented wrestlers often used to put over older & already well established names rather than the other way around.

* Signing virtually any wrestler they can if he's been part of WWE, WCW or ECW regardless of age, physical condition and ability just because they're well known.

* Angles, feuds, titles & wrestlers that are rendered virtually irrelevant if they're not part of the big primary angle, namely the faction wars/power struggle.

* Irrelevant & consistently weak wrestling matches. It's impossible for me to sneer at the "Wrestling Matters" mantra when almost every single match on Impact Wrestling lasts 3-4 minutes. Especially if said matches are title and/or gimmick matches. The longest match of the night this past Thursday, for instance, was between Velvet Sky & ODB that lasted just over 5 minutes.

* Drawn out promo segments. We've seen, especially over the past several months, iMPACT!/Impact Wrestling have at least one promo segment that lasts 25 minutes or longer. They're usually extremely repetitive, usually involve Immortal doing & saying the same things each time, being interrupted by someone, a brawl breaking out, etc.

I could probably go on but these are generally the biggest things that just leap out at me and are just so plainly obvious.

* Having a locker room full of young, talented wrestlers often used to put over older & already well established names rather than the other way around.

I completely disagree with you on that one, good sir. If there's anything that TNA has done in the past several months, it's been the fact that the young up and comers are being pushed.

Fortune are being pushed as the top babyfaces in the company excluding Sting. Speaking of Sting, some people may say "Well TNA doesn't care about the young guys, they have a 52 year old as champ." Well, a 52 year old is champion, but only because Hardy got too high at Victory Road so they have had to keep the strap on Stinger for a while now, but Anderson is currently being pushed as the top heel in the company and is being groomed for the belt, and love him or hate him, he is still technically "one of the young guys" in the locker room.

Going on here, Crimson is currently on an undefeated streak in TNA, so I'd call that a pretty damn big push. Matt Morgan is being pushed through the upper midcard into the main event, and that's evident with this current feud with Scott Steiner. And last but not least Brian Kendrick is currently the most pushed guy in the X Division excluding the current champ, Abyss.

Those are just off the top of my head, so others can come in and add on that list, but I just had to completely disagree with you on that Jack. Because if there is one thing that TNA is really focusing on now, it is pushing the young guys.

I don't think Russo is the problem in TNA. As much as people shit on him as a creative leader for any company, when he books well, it's usually very captivating. Russo knows how to create and develop characters, it's just that the time for and quality of wrestling often suffers for the sake of it.

I'm not sure if this is a popular opinion or not, but I feel like Hogan and Bischoff are the problem. I was beginning to practically fall in love with this company before they came in, and since then, I don't think I can say there's one single time when I really, truly enjoyed it again. I mean, as a whole. There will always be great segments and performers I support, but the overall program has been lackluster for over a year now. I've even contemplated whether I should even keep watching, but I always do, for the hope that things might get better. I don't like Hogan and Bischoff. I don't like how they handle talent, I don't like who they chose to push, I just don't like the general feel of the company since they came in. I can't say how much power they have, but it's enough to turn me off as a viewer. But I'll keep watching, because I still have hope. If they get rid of Russo, who knows, maybe things will get better, but I don't think he's the only one they should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back