• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hire Eric Bishoff

Jeff Deliverer of Mail

Money for nothin, chicks for free
How can this man not have a job in wrestling right now? When Ted Turner was in his office and wanted to put the screws to Vince McMahon and the WWE it was Eric Bishoff who started the ball rolling. He was Vince's greatest enemy and brought WCW to such a level that it hasn't seen in it's history by signing former WWE stars like Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall. Then, he came up with turning Hulk Hogan heel and forming the NWO. Brilliant. I don't want to cast a dark shadow on the other side of Bishoff, mistakes he may have made and whatnot ( hiring Russo ) ....

..but I think whatever WWE decides to put him, it would benefit everyone. He could helm creative, be on commentary, play the G.M , manage a stable, the guy just needs to be in WWE. Period.

He had some good ideas. The initial start of the cruiserweight division, the initial start of Goldberg, and the initial start of the Outsiders/NWO. He wasn't able to develop talent, he wasn't able to manage egos, he had unlimited funds and he could still not beat Vince, and he already did the GM role. There's no room for Eric in WWE.

I do not post often and when I do its normally positive stuff...
I was a huge fan of E back in the day.... huge part of this is that I "WAS".
The ship has sailed on him and with everyone saying they need new fresh ideas fresh players etc.... hiring Eric would do the complete opposite.
Look at his time in TNA he tried recreating so many rehashed stories.... and they didn't work!

Bischoff does great with competition, but when he's not fighting something, he doesn't have the ingenuity, Best example was in WCW once the nWo carried WCW above WWF, Bischoff just kept pushing nWo harder and harder until nWo was a bigger brand than WCW, and it got super stale, when he NEEDs to create, he does better than anyone in the business (The only Wrestling promoter who can say he was beating Vince).

That being said, he's still a good head to have in the meetings, having him on the payroll can be nothing but good for the long run.

When I listen to him in interviews, he sounds content. He has a small brewing company and I believe he does some TV production as well. I think he could have a job with any wrestling company in the world, probably on a Legends contract in WWE, if he asked for it. I just don't think he wants it. If an indy promotion could hire him at a decent price that would be instant publicity for it. Every website would talk about Bischoff working for them.

He would be a good consultant. Despite WCW's demise Nitro was a very much watchable product for it to be a 3 hour program. Lucha Dragons would've been a success in WCWs mid card with other Cruiserweight tag division wrestlers. But as far as bringing him on TV, that isn't a proper direction to go in especially for people already complaining about the current product.

I'd be happy to see Easy E back in WWE in any capacity. Whether it's having some kind of involvement in creative, as a commentator, manager or returning as a GM.

I think he's a great character for a wrestling show, very easy to hate and has always been excellent on the microphone. There's a lot Bischoff could teach younger performers about how to connect with the audience via a promo. It wouldn't even bother me if he returned as GM, he was great in the role and would be a welcome change to the never-ending garbage we are seeing at the moment.

The problem I have with Eric Bischoff in an on-air authority role is it has been done for 20 years now. Rather it was WCW, WWE or TNA. I just feel he's better off behind scenes.

In Bischoff's autobiography, he's honest about a lot of the stuff that went wrong during his tenure in WCW, and actually did take the blame for a lot of it and discussed it openly.

Still, he chiefly blamed the changing corporate structure of the company and their lack of support for him as the reasons the company went under. Also, he makes only brief mention of being criticized for the monumental contracts and production costs he incurred while stealing top wrestlers from WWE ......and that's where I part ways with folks who want him hired by Vince McMahon.

Were the forming of NWO and turning Hulk Hogan bad great ideas? Sure they were, but two successful concepts in all the time he was with WCW with seemingly unlimited power doesn't make him a great CEO (or whatever his title was).

Just because he had the financial ability to buy people away from his biggest competitor shouldn't qualify him a creative success. He spent so much more than was necessary to procure the services of some of them, it was a crying shame. Plus, he saddled Turner with 'personal service' contracts for people like Kevin Nash, who didn't even have to wrestle for WCW if he didn't feel like it on any given week, and continued to get paid long after WCW folded.

When Bischoff wanted to strengthen his roster and weaken WWE, his tactic was: Hire Hogan, hire Nash & Hall, hire Savage, try to hire Triple H & HBK.......strictly on the basis of outspending Vince McMahon.......and if you call Bischoff a great mind for sports entertainment on the basis of all this, I'll have to disagree.

In Bischoff's autobiography, he's honest about a lot of the stuff that went wrong during his tenure in WCW, and actually did take the blame for a lot of it and discussed it openly.

Still, he chiefly blamed the changing corporate structure of the company and their lack of support for him as the reasons the company went under. Also, he makes only brief mention of being criticized for the monumental contracts and production costs he incurred while stealing top wrestlers from WWE ......and that's where I part ways with folks who want him hired by Vince McMahon.

Were the forming of NWO and turning Hulk Hogan bad great ideas? Sure they were, but two successful concepts in all the time he was with WCW with seemingly unlimited power doesn't make him a great CEO (or whatever his title was).

Just because he had the financial ability to buy people away from his biggest competitor shouldn't qualify him a creative success. He spent so much more than was necessary to procure the services of some of them, it was a crying shame. Plus, he saddled Turner with 'personal service' contracts for people like Kevin Nash, who didn't even have to wrestle for WCW if he didn't feel like it on any given week, and continued to get paid long after WCW folded.

When Bischoff wanted to strengthen his roster and weaken WWE, his tactic was: Hire Hogan, hire Nash & Hall, hire Savage, try to hire Triple H & HBK.......strictly on the basis of outspending Vince McMahon.......and if you call Bischoff a great mind for sports entertainment on the basis of all this, I'll have to disagree.

I agree and respectfully disagree with that. He'll be greatly remembered for NWO and turning Hogan but I still feel the Cruiserweight division was a major success. ECW could've ran with that Lucha libre style but didn't. WCW did and that is a major part of what separated WCW from WWE during that time. They allowed the Cruiserweights to stick to their style and he brought in not just wrestlers from Mexico but Japan as well and didn't try to alter their style(like WWE did with the original Sin Cara). WWE wouldn't even do that today. Plus it was great for PG TV. Introduced a whole new style on to the U.S. national level.

Granted he threw money at these guys he found success by luring Jericho, Saturn, Malenko, Raven, Benoit, Guerrero to name a few from ECW. Many of which had wrestled international and were familiar with all styles of pro wrestling at the time and could go against some of the territorial vets in the company.

There was a great emphasis on quality matches where as WWE had started gearing towards shorter matches and more promos. That alone separated WCW in terms of quality programming.

While him(Bischoff), Hogan and Nash ultimately played their parts in killing WCW I cannot take away what Bischoff did do to build it up as its own brand and by reinventing Hogan in a way that cut away anything WWE-esque about him. It's those reasons listed above that makes me believe he would be a great consultant.

How can this man not have a job in wrestling right now? When Ted Turner was in his office and wanted to put the screws to Vince McMahon and the WWE it was Eric Bishoff who started the ball rolling. He was Vince's greatest enemy and brought WCW to such a level that it hasn't seen in it's history by signing former WWE stars like Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall. Then, he came up with turning Hulk Hogan heel and forming the NWO. Brilliant. I don't want to cast a dark shadow on the other side of Bishoff, mistakes he may have made and whatnot ( hiring Russo ) ....

..but I think whatever WWE decides to put him, it would benefit everyone. He could helm creative, be on commentary, play the G.M , manage a stable, the guy just needs to be in WWE. Period.

When did Bischoff hire Russo ???? Didn't he & Hogan force Russo out when they came to TNA ? Certainly in WCW Biscoff never hired Russo, Bischoff had been fired and was completely gone when Turner execs hired Russo

I agree and respectfully disagree with that. He'll be greatly remembered for NWO and turning Hogan but I still feel the Cruiserweight division was a major success. ECW could've ran with that Lucha libre style but didn't. WCW did and that is a major part of what separated WCW from WWE during that time. They allowed the Cruiserweights to stick to their style and he brought in not just wrestlers from Mexico but Japan as well and didn't try to alter their style(like WWE did with the original Sin Cara). WWE wouldn't even do that today. Plus it was great for PG TV. Introduced a whole new style on to the U.S. national level.

Granted he threw money at these guys he found success by luring Jericho, Saturn, Malenko, Raven, Benoit, Guerrero to name a few from ECW. Many of which had wrestled international and were familiar with all styles of pro wrestling at the time and could go against some of the territorial vets in the company.

There was a great emphasis on quality matches where as WWE had started gearing towards shorter matches and more promos. That alone separated WCW in terms of quality programming.

While him(Bischoff), Hogan and Nash ultimately played their parts in killing WCW I cannot take away what Bischoff did do to build it up as its own brand and by reinventing Hogan in a way that cut away anything WWE-esque about him. It's those reasons listed above that makes me believe he would be a great consultant.

WCW ALWAYS promoted better matches than WWE, when WWE vs NWA the NWA matches blew away the WWE product in terms of match quality. WCW was always about a more adult oriented product in terms of promos and presentation too, remember WWE was basing its product on Disney and Sat Morning Cartoons more than anything else. This wasn't a great revolution of Eric Bischoff, he just continued the trend on WCW's part that had existed since the Jim Crockett/NWA days a decade earlier.

WCW ALWAYS promoted better matches than WWE, when WWE vs NWA the NWA matches blew away the WWE product in terms of match quality. WCW was always about a more adult oriented product in terms of promos and presentation too, remember WWE was basing its product on Disney and Sat Morning Cartoons more than anything else. This wasn't a great revolution of Eric Bischoff, he just continued the trend on WCW's part that had existed since the Jim Crockett/NWA days a decade earlier.

You're correct to an extent. If you remember their match quality had declined and Bill Watts came in before Bischoff and tried to make WCW how the territories were 20 years before that. If you remember before Bischoff first came in Ole Anderson was trying to pull off that stupid Black Scorpion gimmick and virtually by the time he(Bischoff) came in - they were trying to have those silly characters much like WWE. I think Dusty was there with Ole - can't remember. Bischoff restored order after a year or two and the great quality matches returned as well as the better quality programming once Nitro got on TV

Bischoff and VKM would be a toxic mix. Both have HUGE ego's. They are going to clash the minute VKM opens his package of Double-Stuf Oreo's over which flavor is better. You want THAT running around when the ship is floundering? They will clash over what toilet paper is used in the Executive Head. His TNA run basically cemented his fate in the business, as his name has become toxic with many fans. Bischoff is better off doing what he is doing now.

When did Bischoff hire Russo ???? Didn't he & Hogan force Russo out when they came to TNA ? Certainly in WCW Biscoff never hired Russo, Bischoff had been fired and was completely gone when Turner execs hired Russo

Bischoff was removed from his position from within the company - he was never replaced internally and ended up returning around Spring of 2000. Remember the infamous Bash at the Beach promo that year with Russo?

I like the idea of bringing him back behind the scenes, maybe as a writer for Smackdown attempting to revitalize it and make the occasional appearance on screen.

Have him report to HHH, I think it could be a success.

Bischoff and VKM would be a toxic mix. Both have HUGE ego's. They are going to clash the minute VKM opens his package of Double-Stuf Oreo's over which flavor is better. You want THAT running around when the ship is floundering? They will clash over what toilet paper is used in the Executive Head. His TNA run basically cemented his fate in the business, as his name has become toxic with many fans. Bischoff is better off doing what he is doing now.

This. Also the solution to WWE's slipping ratings isn't rehashing old shit from nearly 2 decades ago or bringing back old has beens. It's bringing in new blood and fresh ideas. Eric Bischoff is not new blood and he has no fresh ideas. Anything Eric Bischoff could bring to the table WWE has already beaten it into the ground for the past 20 years. The Monday Night Wars was fun, but it's time to move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back