Here Comes Samoa Joe?

OYDK

King Of The Ring
News on the Samoa Joe front had been quiet up until a couple of weeks ago, when it was reported that Joe was scheduled to make his WWE debut in June. Since then, some new developments have arisen. Joe was reported to have been at the NXT tapings a few nights ago to meet with HHH to "discuss" a WWE contract, and just very recently, WWE released 5 of their little known NXT talents, seemingly to open up some room financially for Joe.

It seems as if Joe is going to be headed to NXT very soon, and this leaves me with a boatload of questions (which I'll refrain from asking) as to how he is going to be used. I'm rather shocked that WWE actually invested a good amount of their time to scout and *possibly sign Joe, given his age and physical stature, but I can't say I'm upset. The matches between a more in shape Joe and Zayn, Owens, Balor, etc. should be worth the price of his contract alone.

I do wonder what the "bigger picture" for Samoa Joe is in all of this. Is he going to be basic fodder for Owens similar to Rhino and Balor? Or will he have a chance to move up the card and possibly make an impact on the main roster? For the sake of this thread, LET'S ASSUME THAT JOE HAS SIGNED... try and refrain from the "you're making assumptions" comments.

So what do you think? What's the bigger picture for Joe in the WWE?

I've been hearing a number of different things, like he'll be used to help the guys down there that are coming up. Wasn't 100% sure if he'll be actually wrestling competitively. If he is, he won't last long there, he has more experience than some of the guys on the main roster, and should be debuting there quicker than we think. I like Samoa Joe and am excited to see what he can bring to the table.

.... like he'll be used to help the guys down there that are coming up.

That's what I've been reading too, and admit to wondering about the spectacle of an established wrestler entering a new company as an enhancement talent. Usually, that's something a performer becomes after a long, distinguished career with the company.....but if this is what they're doing with Joe, I presume they'll actually be mentioning his time with TNA as a way of establishing his credentials to viewers.

Of course, there's also the oddity of viewing a performer coming in, not only as a talent enhancer......but on NXT, which isn't to be confused with the main roster.

If Joe is perfectly happy with this, let him go for it.....and if his goal is to sock away money toward retirement, he knew he'd eventually have to join WWE to do it (a la Rob Van Dam) and he might be perfectly happy helping to establish the stars of tomorrow.

If WWE wants to stay on the safe side though, it would probably be best to give Joe a successful run through the federation first, to establish him as a star in the eyes of the folks who never watched him in TNA and wouldn't understand why a virtual unknown is being used to further the reputations of tomorrow's stars.

I'm presuming he's going to be on NXT as an active wrestler, not a ringside personality who sometimes steps in the ring. Whether he has hopes of eventually moving to Raw/Smackdown remain to be seen; it depends on what he's looking to accomplish by joining WWE in the first place.

I'm really happy for Joe and very anxious to see him compete with the highly-talented NXT wrestlers! Come on, as a fan I wouldn't want him to just stay backstage ala Sara Del Rey... Joe is a veteran of the sport and will easily be able to blend in with the style of his fellow performers. Age won't be an issue. And just like Sting, I think he too will work harder and cut the excess fat, so that his looks complement his hype. From the Muscle Buster and the Coqina Clutch, to the Enzuigiri to an opponent seated on the turnbuckle. Then there's this funny act he does where he simply walks away when the opponent tries a flying cross-body... Overall he will bring a lot of new tricks to the table. I just wonder if they will change his name... and if they do, what will it be? I'm pretty sure they'll keep the "Joe" part. Maybe just Joe?

I think he too will work harder and cut the excess fat, so that his looks complement his hype.

But aren't most of the Samoan wrestlers really, really big guys. Look at Umaga, Rikishi, Yokozuma and the Wild Samoan's, none of them where small men at all. As a matter of fact a couple were bordering on obese. So I think looking at Samoa Joe, he fits right in with what the rest looked like.

I like what joe brings to table in a veteran sense or as a guy to push either way he can help. He was a leader in ROH and in TNA so he will step up and be one on NXT. Plus theres not a whole lot of submission wrestlers on the roster especially with Bryan out. I would love to see him get aTaz like gimmick from ECW and choke/tap people out.

I'm really happy for Joe and very anxious to see him compete with the highly-talented NXT wrestlers! Come on, as a fan I wouldn't want him to just stay backstage ala Sara Del Rey... Joe is a veteran of the sport and will easily be able to blend in with the style of his fellow performers. Age won't be an issue. And just like Sting, I think he too will work harder and cut the excess fat, so that his looks complement his hype. From the Muscle Buster and the Coqina Clutch, to the Enzuigiri to an opponent seated on the turnbuckle. Then there's this funny act he does where he simply walks away when the opponent tries a flying cross-body... Overall he will bring a lot of new tricks to the table. I just wonder if they will change his name... and if they do, what will it be? I'm pretty sure they'll keep the "Joe" part. Maybe just Joe?

I agree with ya on this...Joe should be taken seriously and presented as such by the WWE..I hope that he does keep his character traits(though I know he's probably going to get new, most likely generic sounding theme music and a new name, maybe Joe, From Samoa or something to that equivalent).

Though nonetheless, I look forward to seeing Joe on Raw (even if he IS called Joe, From Samoa). Maybe Joe might team with Steen/Owens at some point..I'd love to see them as a long-term tag team.

Remember they are looking for a permanent head of NXT and that Matt Bloom is only an interim choice. I actually see Joe going in as that head trainer, perhaps working alongside Regal as the day to day manager of NXT Talent Relations.

Joe is someone the NXT trainees will be familiar with and look up to, while he doesn't "know the WWF Style" he gets it enough for Trips to be going after him. Bloom has a great background but he hasn't had that real success in America to justify being the head coach of the team. Joe only hasn't had WWE success, everywhere else he has been a top name and traditionally the head trainers like Steve Keirn, Danny Davis etc have not been guys who actually had major WWE/F success, but who had respect first.

Of course he could "just be a talent" or a trainer, but I can see that head trainer role being what would tempt him to come to WWE over a lucrative Indy career that would no doubt include Japan as well.

Regal is clearly gonna be "groomed" by Trips to be his number 2, and I can see him taking control of NXT completely once Vince is gone and Trips steps up... and then Joe could be set up as his successor. Terry Taylor and Duthy have that role right now but they are very much Vince guys, in the future guys like Billy Gunn, Bloom, Regal and potentially Hall and Nash will no doubt come into the set-up more.

I just don't see Joe wanting to do what Kendrick and Rhino are doing and just "put guys over" or work with them, but if he thinks or can make a legit difference to the future talents by guiding the training there, he's valuable to them and WWE.

For me, I want to see Joe in a WWE ring. Not an NXT ring, but a WWE ring. I don't want him pulling a Sara Del Rey and training talent right now. As far as I am concerned , TNA has been the only "near" competition in the past 10 years. Every one needed to see Sting in a WWE ring, due to the WWE/WCW wars. I know the TNA war isn't even a war but seeing a Samoa Joe or AJ Styles in a WWE ring (and no I'm not talking Shotgun Saturday Night 1998) vs Rusev or Daniel Bryan would be a welcome sight, and acknowledgement that TNA exists, not that in WWE's opinion TNA is the equivalent of NXT

WWE is in an interesting position. NXT is getting some buzz and seemingly keeping subscribers paying for the WWE Network.

However, the main roster landscape is confusing right now. Outside of Orton and Reigns, who is there to challenge Rollins? The roster is so thin on main event ready baby faces that it appears they are going to turn Kane for the ten billionth time to take on Rollins (yes, I am ignoring the rumor that Kane is going to feud with Roman Reigns).

If Kane turns to challenge Rollins, you will be hard pressed to find a lot of excitement.

Point being, now is the perfect time for a group of NXT guys to jump and make a big impact.

Imagine if WWE had waited to do NEXUS with a more talented bunch. Owens, Balor, Sami Zayn, Itami, Breeze and Joe. The hardcore fans would obviously dig it, and the casuals would buy in if booked properly. Hell, the NEXUS was a main event level threat for a time, and only a handful of the original members have gone on to be truly successful.

I think Joe has the ability. I like the guy, I don't think he's this earth shattering phenom that he's been made out to be, but I do think he could be a valuable asset to WWE.

If he goes to NXT to wrestle, I don't think he'll be there for long. However, then comes the potential problem of being on the main roster with Vince's whacky creative decisions we've seen quite a bit of since just after SummerSlam last year. When it comes to having the sort of cosmetic look Vince prefers, Joe ain't got it. He has a lot of ability in the ring's, he's decent on the mic and can be the badass tough guy well, but he's also a chubby, 280 pound Samoan with little to no muscle tone. Depending on whether or not a guy has the "right look", as far as Vince is concerned, it's something of a crap shoot. If Joe has a great work rate, delivers when he's given an opportunity and is able to really connect with fans early on, he has a good shot of being used well. I'd personally feel a LOT more secure if Trips was running things as he's not nearly as hung up on "the look" as Vince is, but maybe Vince'll surprise me; I'd like to see Joe do well as he's a 16 year veteran that's been around just about every other block in town except WWE.

But aren't most of the Samoan wrestlers really, really big guys. Look at Umaga, Rikishi, Yokozuma and the Wild Samoan's, none of them where small men at all. As a matter of fact a couple were bordering on obese. So I think looking at Samoa Joe, he fits right in with what the rest looked like.

Yeah, but the last time I saw Joe in an episode of TNA, he had these man-boobs bouncing around as well as a very loose/fatty abdomen... I am not wishing for him to get as lean as Cena or Triple-H, but at least a tight chest and abdomen even with a wide frame, like Rusev.
I have seen the Wild Samoans only in photos, so unfortunately I'm not qualified to comment on them... But Yokozuna was almost a Japanese sumo wrestler, while Rikishi was a comedy act, giving stink-faces while wearing a thong. Umaga relied on brute force and brawling tactics. I wouldn't want to see Joe in any of these roles. Joe is different from them; in addition to being an expert at submissions, suplexes and carrying the match in general, he is someone that moved really fast for someone of his mass and had gone head-to-head with X-Division guys in their own game. THAT is the Joe I want to see. And for that to happen, as well to look good doing it, I feel he will have to cut down the flab. Otherwise, he will soon become another Tensai.

this is how i (want to) see it:
Owens beat Zayn again at next Takeover, celebrating, Joe's music hits, Joe comes in, they look each other in the eyes, brawl, Joe hits the muscle buster, take NXT title and hold it up in his hand. Takeover going off air.
Done.

Then, after Owens he can move on to other talents to work with, staying relevant, until the moment Owens called up to the main roster, then Joe will be the best option to become heel NXT champ.

If he goes to NXT to wrestle, I don't think he'll be there for long. However, then comes the potential problem of being on the main roster with Vince's whacky creative decisions we've seen quite a bit of since just after SummerSlam last year. When it comes to having the sort of cosmetic look Vince prefers, Joe ain't got it. He has a lot of ability in the ring's, he's decent on the mic and can be the badass tough guy well, but he's also a chubby, 280 pound Samoan with little to no muscle tone. Depending on whether or not a guy has the "right look", as far as Vince is concerned, it's something of a crap shoot. If Joe has a great work rate, delivers when he's given an opportunity and is able to really connect with fans early on, he has a good shot of being used well. I'd personally feel a LOT more secure if Trips was running things as he's not nearly as hung up on "the look" as Vince is, but maybe Vince'll surprise me; I'd like to see Joe do well as he's a 16 year veteran that's been around just about every other block in town except WWE.

I definitely agree with you on this JH, but I'm also leaning towards the opinion that Vince may have already stepped down as "the man" in the WWE at this point. Sounds crazy, but almost everything that I've been hearing over the past year has implied that HHH is the one dealing with new talent, making day to day decisions, and basically running the show. The plain fact that WWE went after Samoa Joe as hard as they did, tells me that HHH has a lot more influence than some believe, because like you, I don't believe Vince would even look twice at Joe.

I also think that while Vince probably has a say in everything, he seems to trust HHH enough to just let him do his thing. I can just see HHH pitching Joe to Vince and Vince responding with something along the lines of, "If you're high on this guy than go get him, but if he loses me money it's on you..."

At least I would hope that Vince has taken a lesser role at this point.

Remember they are looking for a permanent head of NXT and that Matt Bloom is only an interim choice. I actually see Joe going in as that head trainer, perhaps working alongside Regal as the day to day manager of NXT Talent Relations.

This in a nutshell. Let's be real here, Joe will never be anything in the ring for WWE. He is on the wrong side of 35, he is overweight, he has zilch to offer the main roster. But, as a trainer, he has been through the wars. Been through the pitfalls. Hell, I would not be surprised if he was one of the Tough Enough trainers. But, a wrestler? They do not know what to do with him.

This interests me, but not because I want to see Samoa Joe wrestle. I want to see him teach young guys how to wrestle. Joe hasn't really been interesting as a wrestler since probably 2007. The difference between him and Sting is that Sting FOUGHT the WWE for 10 or 11 years before the collapse of WCW and Sting's eventual return to wrestling in TNA. There's no nostalgia for Samoa Joe to be an in-ring talent in the WWE.

But training guys on how to hold themselves in a ring, how to conduct their matches, that's something that Samoa Joe could bring to the table. Give me Joe as a part time NXT talent for a year or two, have him retire from in-ring, and move into full time training at the Performance Center.

I don't want to see Joe being hired as JUST a trainer (if that turns out to be the plan), he's still got a lot to offer as an in-ring talent in my opinion. I woudn't want to see him reduced to just working in the performance centre (like Sara Del Rey).

However, I don't see Joe becoming a dominant force on the main roster due to his age (late 30s) and body shape, but I'd like him to appear on Raw or Smackdown at some point, even for a short run. He's still excellent in the ring when motivated and could have some really good matches with the likes of Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Cesaro, Dolph Ziggler and others.

I know his physique has always held him back, but Kevin Owens isn't exactly rocking abs of steel is he?? Get Joe in a tank top if it bothers Vince so much! However, if Joe DOES sign for WWE, I think we would see him get into better shape- I mean, if he's given the opportunity to ply his craft on the biggest stage in the world- WWE and still doesn't at least try and get back into some kind of moderately decent shape, then he doesn't deserve the opportunity and he'd have no-one to blame but himself.

But training guys on how to hold themselves in a ring, how to conduct their matches, that's something that Samoa Joe could bring to the table. Give me Joe as a part time NXT talent for a year or two, have him retire from in-ring, and move into full time training at the Performance Center.

I can't really follow this line of thinking to be honest. Why would WWE bring in Samoa Joe, who was first an indy guy and than a TNA guy, to teach their indy wrestlers how to wrestle a WWE style? Does Joe know how to wrestle a "WWE style"? I would assume that William Regal, Brian Duncan, or even Billy Gunn would be a much more formidable head trainer than Samoa Joe, but perhaps you guys are right. Still, this may be their end goal, but I can't see Joe coming in strictly as a trainer... I'm sure he'll have a few years as an active competitor before transitioning if that's what WWE wants.

I can't really follow this line of thinking to be honest. Why would WWE bring in Samoa Joe, who was first an indy guy and than a TNA guy, to teach their indy wrestlers how to wrestle a WWE style? Does Joe know how to wrestle a "WWE style"? I would assume that William Regal, Brian Duncan, or even Billy Gunn would be a much more formidable head trainer than Samoa Joe, but perhaps you guys are right. Still, this may be their end goal, but I can't see Joe coming in strictly as a trainer... I'm sure he'll have a few years as an active competitor before transitioning if that's what WWE wants.

No, what he can do is bridge the Indy/TNA style AND the WWE style. He's a smart mind for the business, he's just not very good anymore.

Samoa Joe really should have made this call years ago. It's hard for me to imagine him being placed in a prominent role at this point in time and I don't know if he is ready shape wise to start a big NXT program. The time for him to have left is after the great matches he was having with AJ Styles and before AJ styles left and Joe wasted some of his prime years sticking around TNA and got out of shape. I can't fault the man. The WWE Network didn't exist and NXT wasn't a hot property that was taking in older guys. TNA was paying him and guaranteed him a top spot on the card. Triple H knows what he's doing - but if they are basically using Brian Kendrick as a trainer and part time in-ring talent I can see them doing the same with Joe... unless they play up the Samoan gimmick and use him in some comedy fashion in WWE. Adam Rose is 37 or 38 and went from Leo Kreuger to the Adam Rose character to suit what WWE could use him for.

I may be wrong about this. I know Kevin Steen is only 30, but a lot of people (myself included to an extent) thought that he would never be utilized in WWE because of his appearance and look what he did in a short span of time. Kevin Steen looked terrible towards the end of his run with ROH as far as how big his gut had gotten. Now he's NXT champion, booked like a mini-Brock Lesnar and made the transition seamlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back