Has The Undertaker wrestled his final match?

TheOneAndOnlyGOAT

Championship Contender
The Undertaker will possibly go down in history as the greatest WWE superstar of all time.

Do you think Taker's match at WMXXX was his last?

I always was a huge fan of Taker but the last couple of years, I've been sick of The Streak.

Even as a Lesnar mark, I don't think Brock was the right guy to end it.

However, he did.

Taker got a concussion in his match with Lesnar, I'm not sure if I want to see him wrestle again but he deserves a better guy to end his career with than Brock.

Flair retired with Shawn, Austin retired with Rock, Shawn retired with Taker.

Taker deserves better.

Also, the match with Lesnar was terrible. This shouldn't be his last match but if he can't come back for one more match, I'm completely fine with it.

Do you think The Undertaker wrestled his last match? If not, how many matches do you think Undertaker has left? And who will he face in those matches? Also, will The Undertaker have one more farewell run leading up to his final retirement?

I'm sure he'll be back for one last match and I expect him to get inducted the year he retires as well. No way I think that this is the way Taker is going to go, he probably can't even remember the friggin match! Nah trust me, Taker will wrestle one more Mania

Nope, I think he comes back for next year's Wrestlemania to fight Brock Lesnar in a rematch. I think the Undertaker goes out on a win at Wrestlemania so he needed to lose his second to last match, which was this year obviously.

He'll be Hall of Fame bound either next year or in 2016 as well

Nope, I think he comes back for next year's Wrestlemania to fight Brock Lesnar in a rematch. I think the Undertaker goes out on a win at Wrestlemania so he needed to lose his second to last match, which was this year obviously.

He'll be Hall of Fame bound either next year or in 2016 as well

Makes no sense whatsoever, Taker benefits in no fashion from beating Brock and Brock suffers from losing to Taker. If anything, Taker should have beaten Brock this year, with Brock picking up the win next year.

I think Taker will be back, he wont leave the squared circle without the big fanfare. Flair got it, HBK got it and I am sure others like Rock and Triple H will.

I would have his retirement match at Survivor Series. Where it all started 23 years ago.

In the immortal words of Dean Ambrose, "Nope!"

He'll be back for WrestleMania 31 against Sting. The streak isn't needed for that match.

I sure hope so. The Undertaker is one of the most iconic superstars in the history of professional wrestling and it would be a shame for his carrer to end similar to how Brett Farve's ended; a shell of his former self.

If I was WWE, I would let 'Taker come out into this years Survivor Series, say his goodbyes to the fans, and ride out into the sunset.

I am 110% Against 'Taker V. Sting. While the pure sight of those two legends in the run together & the build to the match would be great, the match itself would be less than mediocre. The "reality" of the situation is they are both two 50-year old men who have no
business being in the ring at this point. (Sorry for going a little off topic)

Do I think Undertaker has wrested his last match? No. Do I hopes he has? YES.

In the immortal words of Dean Ambrose, "Nope!"
Wow. A word at once so magnificient, charming and grandiose as "Nope! " has become immortal!

He'll be back for WrestleMania 31 against Sting. The streak isn't needed for that match.
Agreed with this view. If at all The Undertaker must step foot in the squared circle, it's to face Sting, ELSE stay out. He has nothing left to prove , and no superstar to face at Wrestlemania. Funny thing is, Undertaker has never faced/defeated 3 biggest superstars at Wrestlemania- The Rock, Stone Cold, and John Cena, and in all likelihood he never will.

I don't think Cena and Taker will really tell any story with Undertaker's recent metamorphosis into Uncle Fester and the streak being broken. That being said, if the Undertaker must return, he should avoid doing Cena vs Taker, or Taker vs Brock II. I wouldn't mind Sting and him going at it, though. And yeah, the streak is not needed for these Icons to face each other, AT ALL.

Yes, I think he has.

I saw the video of him leaving his hotel Monday, and he just looked defeated, as if his body just couldn't go on anymore. I mean McCool had to help him get onto a bus.

I just don't think his body will let him go anymore. Which is how most legends tend to go out.

And to answer something the OP said "Taker deserved better". Taker hand picked Lesnar. If this was his last match on Sunday, he got to be put out by his hand picked guy. Not many get to say that. He deserved to go out by whoever he wanted even if it was Spike Dudley.

Every year i've said "He's done" following Mania since he retired Michaels. But i've never been more sure about it than this one.

Thank you Taker! :undertaker2:

I think he has one more match left.....I can't see him going out without some kind of retirement program like Ric Flair or Shawn Michaels....I would like to think I would be able to see him one more time knowing that it will be his last match.

No he shouldn't and I'm not saying that in a bad way but after that match I'm just worried about him. Taker can't take the bumps he used to. He can't do the things he used to and you can see how badly he wants to. That's a problem imo, I watched one of my favorites all time Misawa, pass away because he didn't know when to let go, and he loved the business too much. I'm not saying that would happen to Taker but what I am saying that is he could hurt himself badly at this point. He has nothing to add to his legacy, no huge feuds left that will change his spot. He should fade into the sunset and celebrate what he's done.

I think he is done. Every year it is down to the wire if he will be at Mania or not and he isn't getting younger. I think the loss was a way to leave. It isn't like Brock was going to argue about it and they could have had a rematch anyways like HBK/HHH did. I wouldn't be surprised if he came back but I don't think he will.

As for the Hall of Fame, he will end up there but I don't know how soon. Obvious thing would be to put him in soon but I could see them holding off 5 years so that when they do he can appear as Mark and talk, not as The Undertaker. He is old school and having Taker talk at the Hall of Fame doesn't really work. After a few years if being away, it allows that distance so he can speak out of character without it impacting the character.

Looking back I don't know which was scarier... Warrior on RAW or Taker after the match... when he tried and failed to stand 3 times I was sure something was wrong and that footage from Monday was shocking.

The problem WWE AND Mark Callaway have is what happened with Warrior will now lead to questions about EVERYONE. WWE will probably ramp up it's medical screening processes even further on cardiac issues and extend it to all on air talent (if not all staff) and if they do that, then it's going to be a harder sell for a doctor to medically clear Taker.

Realistically, they could have had Taker collapse in the ring... it could have been worse even still... that's two older talents who potentially could have died on live TV or at minimum have EMT's and stuff... WWE is going to minimise it's risk... it has to.

Where this leaves Taker is difficult, they have been ultra, ultra cautious with all concussions in recent years, Christians 3rd in a year WILL end his career... just as one more for Ziggler would they just can't risk it. Add the age factor and the other nagging issues with Taker like hip damage and you're realistically looking at him being "pensioned off" from matches...whether he likes it or not. The scariest part is this will not be Taker's first concussion... he will have had many in the years they were not even looking for them... that's what made Monday's video of him so bad to see.. this isn't his first one... there was a very creepy Muhammed Ali type look about Taker in that video...

Where this leaves Sting is even more interesting... If Taker IS off the table, then arguably some of the same arguments would apply to him... age certainly. For years there has been talk of an "upper age cap" 47-48 would be about right, but it would rule out Sting right away and severely limit guys like Triple H, Jericho and the like going forward.

As a compromise and I THINK what they will do if they can is have Taker in some kind of tag situation next year. Either teaming with Sting or Sting and Kane... something that limits his involvment to a safe level but still has the "iconic" feel to it... Imagine a 6 man between Taker, Sting, Kane and the Wyatts or the Shield for example... The Shield could take the loss and split thereafter and Sting gets his one win, The Brothers of Destruction ride one more time and get a final win while "passing the torch".

Honestly something like that is the ONLY thing anyone should be hoping for... he goes in with Brock again he will die far younger than he needs to.. that's not a guess... a simple leg takedown from Brock did this much damage remember... Pride will make Taker not want to go out that way but sadly it might have to be the case... for years everyone has wondered when one more was one too many and this was one too many...

I would prefer it to be that the match was Undertaker's last one. He got injured way too easily to keep doing this. Heck he's been getting easily injured for the last four or so years.

This would be a good time to hang it up. They have always talked about how the Streak is all he has left. Now that he does not have the Streak, there is nothing left...other than the Hall of Fame, of course.

Whatever they do, one undeniable thing must be so....

SOMETHING HAS TO CHANGE!

Be it Undertaker retiring, Brock Lesnar returning full time, both, or something else that can be logically tied to the result of the match, something must change.

Otherwise, WWE broke a much heralded almost mythological creation for no good reason other than a cheap temporary thrill.

I'd like it to be his last match but I don't think it will. I wouldn't be surprised if Taker is prideful enough to want a proper send off. And the WWE takes care of its foundation players like Taker and takes advantage of all promotion opportunities. I think they will want to promote one more match as The Undertaker's final match. It won't look good and yes he will be at high risk of injury. But I think he'd think its worth the risk and with the right opponent, I think the WWE would too.

To the people suggesting Taker isn't retiring because he didn't get a sendoff, I'd say that's more due to circumstances conspiring against him. I'm fairly sure that if it hadn't been for that concussion, he'd have said goodbye on Monday night and that would be the end of it. I thought it might end up being delayed a week until this upcoming Monday but the death of Warrior will put paid to that as well.
I really don't know when you'll see him again now, but I'm pretty sure you won't see him in the ring again. He deserved a sendoff but the timing is now very awkward.

He'll get his send off next year at the HOF. Rock was meant to headline but there is no reason that Taker can't either take that spot or Co-headline with he and Sting... as there was only Bearer on the "dead guy list" this year until 2 days after the show they can probably go with an "All Star" induction next year... Rock, Taker, Savage, Sting, Vince.

No it wasn't his last match, he will be at next years WM with it being in texas, id like to see him win his last match next year then be joined in the ring by stone cold, the rock, shawn and mick foley who all shake his hand and soak up the thanks from the crowd

Agreed with this view. If at all The Undertaker must step foot in the squared circle, it's to face Sting, ELSE stay out. He has nothing left to prove , and no superstar to face at Wrestlemania. Funny thing is, Undertaker has never faced/defeated 3 biggest superstars at Wrestlemania- The Rock, Stone Cold, and John Cena, and in all likelihood he never will.

This is something I have noticed as well. However, I think that was done to protect the status of both guys more than anything. That can be the only reason.

the Undertaker has always generally been the sideshow Main Event when not being part of the title scene, especially since the time of the Brand Extension till now.

Tbh, I still would have loved for the Rock to have taken a shot at the Streak next year, but with Sting perhaps coming for what could be a dream match, and with Taker on virtual 'borrowed' time, I guess Taker will never have a Mania match against any of the faces of WWE since he came in, namely, Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold, the Rock and John Cena.

Looking back I don't know which was scarier... Warrior on RAW or Taker after the match... when he tried and failed to stand 3 times I was sure something was wrong and that footage from Monday was shocking.

The problem WWE AND Mark Callaway have is what happened with Warrior will now lead to questions about EVERYONE. WWE will probably ramp up it's medical screening processes even further on cardiac issues and extend it to all on air talent (if not all staff) and if they do that, then it's going to be a harder sell for a doctor to medically clear Taker.

Realistically, they could have had Taker collapse in the ring... it could have been worse even still... that's two older talents who potentially could have died on live TV or at minimum have EMT's and stuff... WWE is going to minimise it's risk... it has to.

What? I mean...what?

Undertaker had a concussion. Ultimate Warrior had a heart attack. Undertaker wrestled a physically grueling 25 match. Ultimate Warrior was walking in a parking lot. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Why would they have to ramp up their medical screening on cardiac issue because a guy who wasn't wrestling, a guy who wasn't physically capable of wrestling, died of a heart attack? Why would that lead to questions about everyone, or anyone? What questions would that even lead to? And how would that have anything to do with clearing Undertaker, since his problem was a concussion, which obviously has nothing to do with his heart? Why would a doctor even consider Warrior's heart attack and death when clearing Undertaker from his concussion?

What risks is it going to minimize? Ultimate Warrior didn't wrestle, and he was never going to wrestle.. He didn't even run to the ring. So it's not like what he did had anything to do with his death, and they need to change something to stop it from happening again - he would have died even if he was never at the HOF, WM, or Raw. Not to mention, he was clearly at a much higher risk than anybody wrestling for them currently, so there's no risks they need to minimize for anybody else.

As for Undertaker, he had a concussion. Obviously that had nothing to do with his heart, so he was never in any danger of having a heart attack and dying like Warrior did. He had also wrestled a grueling 25 minute match, so it's to be expect that he wouldn't look very good the next day. I bet a lot of wrestlers looked pretty crappy when they were coming out of their hotel on Monday. I bet Undertaker has looked like that after his last five Mania matches, at the very least. Obviously WWE already takes concussions seriously, and they will continue to do so, but concussions have nothing to do with a guy's age so that doesn't change anything for older wrestlers either.

I'm not sure I've ever been this genuinely confused after reading a post. Just extremely weird all around.

As for the OP's question, I think it's clear that Undertaker is done. While you might not like his last match being against Lesnar, obviously Undertaker chose Lesnar to end the streak, just like Flair chose HBK and HBK chose Undertaker, so I don't know why he wouldn't choose him to end his career as well. Especially when you consider the fact that he would've retired at least four years ago if not for the streak. Why would he continue now that the streak is over? You might not want him to go out this way, but clearly that's the way he wanted to go out.

I guess anything is possible, but I'd be very surprised if we saw him again before he gets inducted into the HOF, probably next year.

I think he has, otherwise I can't really imagine why Taker would opt to end the streak otherwise. The streak has been the reason why Taker's been coming back and why he's been booked as a special attraction for WrestleMania, that and the fact that his body has been clearly breaking down from the wear & tear the business has taken on him.

According to Dave Meltzer, so take this for what it's worth, Taker & Vince McMahon talked about it earlier this week and alleges that Vince suggested it and Taker agreed. He wasn't talked into it or anything like that, he merely agreed that it was time for it to end. The report says that only Vince, Trips, Stephanie, Heyman & Lesnar knew, they didn't even tell the referee, Jack Doan, nor was the match ending written down in the script anywhere.

IF other reports over the past week are true, Taker wanted to end the streak several years ago to Brock Lesnar. Then again, it's difficult to say what's what because there were other reports that came out this year saying that Taker didn't have as much creative control this year as he'd had in the past and yet other reports saying he'd personally requested to work with Daniel Bryan.

Looking back over his match with Lesnar, you could clearly see that Taker was out of sorts. At first, I thought it was merely to do with him just not being in the kind of shape he used to be. He was moving much slower than usual, he was definitely lethargic and, at times, he genuinely did look as though he had this glazed over look in his eyes. Lesnar was also holding back during the match, he seemed hesitant at times too since it looked as though Taker wasn't getting back up or responding during times the script called for it. As a result, Lesnar improvised with the kicks & stomps, probably realizing that Taker might be hurt, so he kept the match going for a bit by using low impact shots.

Taker will be 50 by WrestleMania XXXI, so I think it's time. This was the first WrestleMania in which he genuinely came across as looking and moving like an old man. Now that the streak is gone, I'd say he'll be inducted into the HOF next year.

I doubt even Vince McMahon, or The Undertaker himself know what his in-ring future is at this point.

But as a fan I hope not. While the streak is over, he deserves to go out a higher note. The match with Brock was mediocre at best, but I'm figuring his concussion had a lot to do with that.

There's only one of two matches I could see him having at this point.

1. Against Sting.

2. He makes his yearly return next year determined to avenge this year's loss against Lesnar.

I suppose it's possible that he has a rematch against Lesnar next year, and then has his final match against Sting at WM32. But frankly I think it's next year or never for Sting Vs The Undertaker. By the time WM 31 roles around Taker will be 50 and I believe Sting will be 56. So it's probably one or the other.

I don't think we will know for sure if The Undertaker is done until Wrestlemaina season next year. If he doesn't make his yearly return that's when I'll believe he's done.

I think he is done. The guy has been mostly done for a long time. No reason for him that I know of to further damage his body or legacy. It wasn't the best or a storybook ending but it was a great run.

I think the bigger question is whether or not he will be in the wrestling world at all going forward (with the exception of an entrance in to the HOF) and will he maintain the character or just be a normal dude?

Sell your guyliner stock. I think UT is done.

taker is old school, and the old school way to retire is on your back with a loss. thats how austin hbk rock and many others went out, and the streak ending provided and unforgettable moment, no better way for taker to go out imo. if taker returns next year i wouldnt see the point

While the injury against Lesnar was obviously an accident, there is no point in Undertaker avenging his loss. Given Brock's physical style, it just isn't worth it. Taker's body had too many miles on it to work well with Lesnar at WMXXX, that will not change a year from now.

Have Taker retire in character by cutting a promo and referring to finally resting in peace. As he drops the microphone, druids surround the ring. Lights out, and when they come back on there is nothing. Biker Undertaker is a blip on the radar in Undertaker lore. Conversely, the Dead Man is on the Mount Rushmore of WWE.

Sadly, I think Taker has wrestled his last match. Even so, there are ways to book his character so that he can still exist without breaking his character. Unless he chooses to do so, of course.

Assuming Sting has signed and Taker can be healthy enough by next year for 1 more match, this is what I would do...

I would not discuss Sting in any way, shape or form until December at earliest. I would then show some cryptic promos to start building excitement. I'd have him appear at Royal Rumble in non wrestling role (i.e. lights go out, lights come back on and he is in the ring). The Monday after Royal Rumble he would appear to challenge the Taker. Taker could wait a couple of weeks to accept, during that time the Raw announcers can show Sting history to let the younger audience know why he is so important. Taker accepts, they cut a few promos without contact each indicating this is their final match. Have at it during WM31 so that both can end the night with a huge WrestleMania moment pop. By the way, if this is how it goes down, I don't care who the heavyweight champ is WM 31 would close with Sting/Taker as the final match. Given how bad Taker just looked and how bad Sting might be with time off and age, I'm not expecting a wrestling classic. But with a year to choreograph a match between slower older dudes, I'm sure it could still be something special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back