Greatest WCW superstar of all time?

poppycock

Championship Contender
Greatest can mean many things in the world of pro wrestling.. in ring ability, biggest money maker, best gimmick and so on.. so the question, like the word, is vague.. but who in your opinion was the biggest, greatest most all round total package WCW superstar of all time?

For me it boils down to Sting or Flair (which is I guess was the real reason I ask the question, to see which one of these you put on top)... but then Goldberg and Hogan also have to be given a thought?

- If you can be arsed I would be interested in your own personal top 10 WCW superstars lists.

As a side note I am not including anything these wrestlers may have gone on to achieve after the demise of WCW or outside WCW during or before it's existance.

I think Sting is probably the greatest WCW superstar of all time and although I would not put him at the top of my own personal favourite greatest WCW superstars list I can't deny he probably deserves to be at number one... anyway my list goes as follows...

- DDP
- Sting
- Hollywood Hogan
- Cactus Jack
- Chris Jericho
- Scott Hall
- Vader
- Lord Steven Regal
- Kevin Nash
- Billy Kidman

(Again I left out Flair and Goldberg because I have never really been a fan of both but if I made a personal opinions aside WCW list I would put them both in the top four)

1:sting: he was there till the day the company folded
2:ric flair: only at number 2 cos he went to wwf in 92
3:hulk hogan: because his turn changed the industry forever
4:lex luger: two decent runs over the years
5:goldberg: majorly over in ashort period of time
6:booker t: 5 time champion plus multi time tag champ in harlem heat
7:scott steiner: major player in the early 90's in tag team scene then went onto singles glory
8:kevin nash: his run with n.w.o and as an outsider were great
9: ddp: made a name as a wrestler even though he started as a manager
10:tony schivone: had to mention him coshe was the voice of wcw

TOP WCW STARS EVER, TO PUT THEM IN 1,2,3 ORDER IS KIND OF TOUGH SPECIALLY WITHOUT AN EXTENSE ANALYSIS OF IT, BUT I CAN MENTION SOME TOP NAMES THOUGH.

RIC FLAIR: THE BEST WRESTLER OF ALL TIME, WAS THERE SINCE IT WAS MID ATLANTIC WRESTLING, THEN JIM CROCKETT PROMOTIONS, THEN WCW UNTIL THE FINAL MATCH ON NITRO. 'NUFF SAID.

STING: OF COURSE THE FACE OF WCW IN THE 90'S, THE MAJOR OPPONENT OF THE NWO, WHAT A WRESTLING SUPERSTAR! BEAT HOGAN FOR WCW TITLE AT STARRCADE '97 EVEN THOUGH HE SHOULD HAVE WON CLEAN. MULTI TIME WORLD CHAMP

KEVIN NASH: NWO ANGLE, CONTROVERSY, DRAW, MAIN EVENTER, EGO MANIAC TOO, BUT THAT'S ANOTHER TOPIC, SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEATEN GOLDBERG CLEAN AT STARRCADE BUT THAT'S ANOTHER TOPIC TOO.

HOGAN: WHAT CAN I SAY? MOST UNPREDICTABLE HEEL TURN EVER, FORMATION OF NWO BASH AT THE BEACH, TOP DRAW OF ALL TIME.

If this is based off personal opinion then I will give my list.

1. Sting, he is the sole reason I got interested in WCW and even know what it was.
2. DDP, Seen one Diamond Cutter and was hooked. Found out he only was wrestling for a short time and I thought he was doing it for 10+ years.
3. Rey Mysterio, as he made the Cursier Weights in WCW and he was insane and loved every match I have seen with him. With and with out the mask.
4. Dean Melanko, when I watched him wrestle Chris Beniot and his expression didn't change from the start of the match to the end I took notice. He is an amazing wrestler and I always liked the Texas Cloverleaf.
5. Chris Beniot, same reasons as I stated above. Except Beniots' facial experssions changed at times. Also these 2 guys were former Horsemen and I thought that was cool.
6. Kronic, they were my favorite tag team in WCW besides Harlem Heat. They were two huge guys and I loved their entrance music too.
7. Harlem Heat, awesome as a tag team and it eventually gave us Booker T. Dig that Suckkkaaa!!!.
8. Hogan, I know number 8 on my list only because he was the guy who helped WCW take off. His heel turn was really good too.
9. The Outsiders, with out them joining WCW the NWO would not of exsited. An if it did then it wouldn't of had the same effect.
10. Ric Flair, what more do I need to say, it Ric frakin Flair a wrestling god!!

So their is my list. It is based on my top favorite WCW guys. I miss me some WCW.

hard to put in any particular order so here's my top ten guys in no particular order

1. Sting- unquestionable top 10
2. Flair- same as Sting, carried the company
3. Road Warriors- one of my favorite tag teams growing up
4. Steiner Brothers- still remember when the frankensteiner was only used by Scott
5. Brian Pillman- had some awesome matches with Jushin Liger
6. Vader- dominating big man who also had a pretty moonsault
7. Ron Simmons- world champ and tag champ in Doom
8. Outsiders- Hall and Nash changed the game
9. Hogan- I hate him but have to acknowledge what he meant to the sport
10. Luger- many awesome feuds with sting, flair & the horsemen

hard to leave off talented guys like the cruiserweights (jericho, malenko, benoit, guerrero) and an over the hill Randy Savage but these guys are my top 10

Well I'm gonna go a bit more old school on my top ten list but, here it is, in no particular order:

a - Vader - A true main event level monster heel. Had the best feud (and matches) of Stings career.
b - Sting - WCW's home grown hero. Never became the draw everyone thought he would be but, had some great matches and was a top dude alone the way
c - Steiner Brothers - The second greatest tag team of all time (behind LOD) to me. Sucked towards the end though.
d - Rick Rude - Always loved the "Ravishing One" and he seemed even better in WCW then WWE.
e - Goldberg - 2 minutes of Bam! KAPOW! SPLAT! High action and perfect for Monday Nights
f - Hollywood Blondes - Most under-appreciated tag team of all time. They were pure genius.
g - Lex Luger - In 1990 I really thought Luger was a top dude and was gonna be "The Man" for WCW. Did some good heel work that year too.
h - Cactus Jack - Had some crazy matches but, as a young 'un, always remember this nutter in WCW.
i - Paul Heyman and his Dangerous Alliance - WWE wasn't doing gangs in 1992, WCW did and the gang they had was a top one. Heyman was a great mouth piece.
j - Sid Vicious - When he first arrived he was just a monster and looked great. Shame he never kept it up really.

Of course there's the Hogan's/Flair's/Savages/The Giant/DDP etc but, to me, these are the guys that were involved in the most stuff in WCW that I enjoyed outside of the nWo (and that whole gimmick gets enough love as it is)

It begins and ends with Sting, he was Mr. WCW, and unlike his comrades he hasn't sold out to Vince, WCW meant something to him

1. Raven
This dude was the original CM Punk. His "flock" and charisma should have propelled him to the upper card.

2. Ric Flair
Mr. consistent. Whenever anything went wrong they turned to him.

3. The Outsiders
In my mind, they are one of the most dominant tag teams ever.

Honorable mention to Chris Jericho and Rufus, Arn Anderson, and Wrath (but he never talked, he was just dominant and one of my favorite wrestlers)

1. Sting - When I think of WCW I think of sting first and foremost. He was always plugging away near or at the top of the card

2. Flair - I first saw him at the RR in 92 and was hooked with him ever since he was just the perfect package but he was always an NWA guy in my mind first

3. DDP - Like some one said earlier I was hooked on the first diamond cutter. The music, the explosive finisher outta nowhere and the BANG!. Love me some DDP and to this day is a personal favorite of mine.

Sting hands down, like the guy above said - he is the guy that always pops into my head when WCW is mentioned. And to top it off, he's also the most iconic wrestler to have never stepped into a WWE ring - which helps :p

Goldberg is another guy that ranks up there for me too - mainly because I followed his story arcs to no end when I was a kid.

What do you guys consider "WCW" - really WCW starts in 1990 or so, when they had totaly broken away from Jim Crockett Jr and the NWA - they don't even re name the company or the titles until 1991 after Flair beats Sting in New York for the title and he is officially referred to as "WCW World Champion" -

If you guys include the legacy of the NWA, then stars like The Road Warriors,The Rock & Roll EXpress, Midnight Express w/ Jim Cornette, Dusty Rhodes, Harley Race, Ricky Steamboat, Tully Blanchard, et all would be considered. If you just go with post Jan 1991 when they finally made the name change (or 1990 when they for all intents had become a different company) then you have to exclude Road Warriors, Dusty, etc because the played so little role, if any.

Post 1990 I'd say 1.) Flair - biggest draw, at the center of virtually all biggest angles, matches, 1990 vs Sting, 1993 vs Vader, recruited and helped sign Hogan & Savage, big matches and feuds with both 1994-96, was champ for most of the early Monday Nitro days 1995-spring 96, heavily involved in early NWO angle, more big matches vs Hogan in 96 & 99, helped carry the usually low rated Jan Souled Out PPV to a buy rate almost equal the marque WWE Royal Rumble with his match vs Brett Hart in 1998 (despite no Hogan, Goldberg, or Sting on the PPV). Win or lose he carried the ball anytime they gave it to him.

2.) Sting - You could argue that like Flair, he was a holdover from the glory days of the NWA who continued to be sucessful after the company switched, but Sting was very popular and remarkably consistent for the entire 1990-2001 run. Sting first became big in 1988, before the switch, but hit his heights in the official WCW days, his first disastrous reign as champion notwithstanding. When Flair & Luger headed to WWE Sting carried the load vs Vader & Rick Rude, he was also at the epicenter of much of the most successful NWO stuff 1996-early 98. His Starrcade 97 match vs Hogan was one of the most anticipated matches in pro wrestling period. One of the only guys who never left the company.

3.) Hogan - Also made big before WCW, like it or not, Hogan was at the center of two of the most popular and money making fueds/stories in WCW history, vs Flair and creating NWO. Some will argue that Hogan didn't draw so well as a fan favorite except when he faced Flair but his 1996 heel turn was perhaps the most shocking thing ever in pro wrestling, more than The Montreal Screw Job or Flair's big gold belt being paraded all over WWE TV in 1991. The NWO could have been big without him, and no matter what you think of his "Creative Control" and how he may have abused it, no doubt the NWO was bigger because of him.

4.) Savage - Similair to Hogan although he seemed to draw against other WCW stars besides Flair better than Hulk, having pretty good feud with Lex Luger before the NWO thing caught on.

5). Luger - Another guy made in the 80's before WCW, Luger had a really good run vs Flair, and one of his best ever matches at SuperBrawl in 1990, also was the guy (not Sting) originally chosen to replace Flair as champion and top star when Ric went WWE in 1991. Luger's return to WCW on the debut Monday Nitro was one of the most shocking moments in The Monday Night Wars, his 100'th episode clean win over NWO Hogan for the World Title one of the true feel good moments, and again shocking, in wrestling TV. Had a good fued with Sting in 1992 (before he went to WWE) and good run vs Savage in 95-96.

6) Goldberg: May have been at his height a bigger draw than anyone in the company, I didn't put him higher because he really was around for a short time (starts around 97, catches steam early 98, stays fairly hot despite some lousy booking through most of 99.) The other guys above were around longer and had more big moments, making bigger contributions. His undefeated streak, the Georgia Dome Title win vs Hogan, and Starrcade 98 were some of the wrestling's most memorable moments in the 90's.

7.) Kevin Nash: One of the most creative wrestlers in modern time, Nash had a great character to go with great look and knew (when healthy) how to maximize his performances in the ring, hiding his limitations. Nash was central the NWO success, Hogan and is heel turn helped get them over, but the story was already buzzing and stayed hot due to Nash. Remember Hogan only wrestled a part time schedule his whole time in WCW, Nash was the top guy doing Nitro and PPV all year from 96-early 99 when the faction essentially disbanded. Starrcade 98 was a major success, nearly equaling the previous year's success, and beating the buyrates for virtually all the WWE events that year outside WrestleMania. There was no Sting, Luger, Savage, Hart, or Hogan on that card, it was built on the two pronged sucess of Flair returning to the ring after being banned by Bischoff and Nash facing Goldberg for the World Title. Say what you will about some of his decissions during his tenure as booker but that show's success had a lot to do with him. He was around more than Hogan and much more reliable than Hall, a bigger name in the NWO faction than anyone other than Hulk.

7.) DDP: Along with Goldberg, the first actual guys who didn't start main eventing somewhere else before WCW. Not a big fan of his personally but he was a consistent player on the mid card in the mid 90's, took full advantage of the his push vs NWO in 96. Had memorable fueds with Savage and Chris Benoit, won big Starrcade matches vs Big Show & Curt Henning, main evented vs Goldberg (most watched televised match of the year in wrestling Oct 98), Flair & Nash - even had a World Title run.

9.) Booker T - More talented of the two Harlem Heat brothers, had excellent tag matches in the early-mid 90's, parlayed a singles career at WCW end into a solid WWE run.

10) Steiners: Rick was already well known before WCW, Scott really didn't hit his stride till after, also left for a few years for a less than stellar WWE run, his whole persona make over into "Big Poppa Pump" was way over with audences in 98-01. Was a big part of some of the better NWO stuff 98-99. Main evented at company's end.

1: Ric Flair to me was always Mr. WCW. At least until he sold out and went to the WWF with WCW's NWA Heavyweight Title, after that he was Mr. Scumbag.

2: Sting is the best modern wrestler to have never worked for the McMahon family.

3: Kevin Nash IS the New World Order. He was a founding member and the leader despite Hollywood Hogan's star power, and more importantly the only guy to always be in the nWo, even if sometimes he was injured. Not even Scott Hall can make that claim.

4: The Steiner Brothers were incredible amateur wrestlers in their prime. Probably the most under rated wrestlers these days for what they did in their prime. They were easily as good as the Hart Brothers or Kurt Angle, but they faded as they got older and by the time they split up and big llama dump hit his prime they neither one could go any more.

5: Bill Goldberg was the phenom of WCW. He was the biggest draw at WCW's height, and he's still good personal friends with some of pro-wrestling's biggest legends in Steve Austin, The Rock, J.R., & Paul Heyman.

6: Diamond Dallas Page, before he got injured looked like he was on such a meteoric rise to fame I really thought he was going to become the face of pro-wrestling in the 2000's. After Savage worked with him to perfect his gimmick DDP became HUGE, and then, just as he began to hit his stride, he's out. Truly sad.

7: Big Van Vader, 3 time WCW heavyweight champion, 1993's PWI #2 Wrestler of the Year (Behind Bret Hart), and a 400 pounder that would perform a moonsault to put down wrestlers like Sting, Lex Lugar, Ric Flair, & Ron Simmons.

8: Raven had the most un-tapped potential of any WCW star. Raven's Flock was like Fight Club meets grunge rock. If you ever watched Fight Club, and remember how it all started, then the Flock was the fight club and Raven was Tyler Durden.

9: Lex Luger was never really my thing, but he was a huge name in the early days of WCW. Back in the 80's WCW's big 3 was Sting, Luger, & Flair.

10: Rey Mysterio Jr., if you were EVER a fan of Rey, his WCW was the time to watch him. He was THE guy to watch in the luchadore division, and very few ever compared.

First, I consider the NWA as part of WCW up until the split. With that being said, the Greatest WCW Superstar ever was the Nature Boy, Ric Flair. Hulk Hogan was great for WCW, but if it wasn’t for his run in the WWF, I don’t think the “Hollywood” turn and the N.W.O. would have been as good down South. It doesn’t even matter who is in third place. Anyone else mentioned is just not in the same league as these two.

The greatest WCW superstar has to the Stinger. You called Sting the Franchise of WCW for many reasons, you know. Sting is the only wrestler that has been in WCW since its inception. When other wrestlers like Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Lex Luger, and others left WCW for the WWF, he stayed with the company. He was a big draw in WCW. He was the now-WWE version of John Cena, except Sting is a better wrestler. Ric Flair was the greatest superstar in the NWA, while Sting was the greatest in WCW.

My 10 favorite WCW guys, in no particular order:

1. Sting- Growing up he was my favorite. Once the nWo started, I wasnt as much of a fan tho
2. Scott Hall- He was the first on the scene for the nWo, and one of my all time faves.
3. Kevin Nash- Nash basically ran the nWo and WCW
4. the Great Muta- His matchs with Sting were classic, and when he joined the nWo I marked out.
5. Cactus Jack- the king of Hardcore. I remember when he went missing and he was found in an alley with a bunch of bums. Funny stuff
6. Scott Steiner- Great tag team wrestler who went on to a successful singles carreer as Big Poppa Pump
7. Buff Bagwell- I hated the American Males, but after changing to Buff he was one of my favorites. I loved Vicious & Delicious as a team too.
8. Hollywood Hogan- When Hulk Hogan went to WCW in 94 I couldnt stand him. Joining the nWo, and bringing out Hollywood was a much needed breath of fresh air.
9. Ric Flair- One of the greatest. Had many classics with Sting, Hogan, Savage and others.
10. Kevin Sullivan- I was really into the Dungeon Of Doom. The fued with Benoit was great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back