• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Good Wrestler: Bad Gimmick

I'd also have to add Aldo Montoya. ECW got it right when he became Justin Credible.

Agreed, Credible was excellent in ECW, the gimmick fitted the promotions style very well. I always enjoyed Peter Polaco as a performer. Montoya as a gimmick was horrible, it was clearly never going to go anywhere. I wonder what these young wrestlers think when they are told to wear a costume like that. They must know they are doomed to fail

Deacon Batista, anyone? Although D-Von was pretty spot on and amusing. So I won't include him. But Deacon? It took me a long time to take him seriously at all, even after his world title run.....for this reason alone. He went from guarding a collection plate/box to winning the Royal Rumble and beating HHH.

Great shout on this one. When you saw the role Batista was playing in OVW as Leviathan, the guardian of the gates of hell, and looking like a monster, it was awesome. Then they brought him up in this role? Very strange. I personally think Leviathan would have worked well in WWE, in a feud with Kane...but maybe thats just me. Luckily for Big Dave, it all worked out for him.

Mr. Ass - That had to be the one of the worst gimmicks of all-time. That and Rock-A-Billy...........for someone who was already an established star and had all the tools. It was mind boggling how they could screw that up

I didnt particularly hate Mr Ass as a gimmick, I think it worked well for the Attitude Era and DX at that time. Any other time though and the gimmick would have completely bombed though...

Another pick for me is Tommy Dreamer being stuck with that stupid gimmick in WWE where he would do disgusting things. How demoralising for a man who gave his blood, sweat and tears for ECW being made to look a fool on TV week after week. Dreamer may not be the most talented man ever to lace up a pair of boots, but he deserved better I think

A few of my picks have been mentioned, Terry Taylor and 2 Cold Scorpio along with Shane Douglas, but here's a few more:

Dusty Rhodes- The polka dot gimmick for a legend like Dusty was beyond horrible ! Vince must have been trying to punish Dusty for all of those years he competed against him.

Chainsaw Charlie- Again, another stupiid gimmick for a legend like Terry Funk who everyone knew it was !

The Widow Maker- Barry Whindam, one of the best workers at that time and this horrible gimmick was the best Vince could come up with ?

Chainsaw Charlie- Again, another stupiid gimmick for a legend like Terry Funk who everyone knew it was !

Absolutely stupid wasn't it. Why would you try and rename Terry Funk as something completely different, it was an insult to our intelligence. It is understandable to rename a low/mid card talent who is failing in their current gimmick, but a legend? A former world champion who is instantly recognisable?

Awful decision Vinny

Colt Cobana as Scotty Goldman

Really not a bad gimmick(Funny Jew) but just wasn't done to its potential. Cobana should have just stuck with fun babyface for the character, or actyally a stand-up comedian gimmick(which he is a legit Stand-Up)

Dustin Rhodes- Black Reign
Ok we get it, he can play a bizarre character very well....but this was just fucking stupid. Sure give the guy a weird gimmick but actually try to make it unique or at least not stupid, I will go on record Dustin Rhodes should never be the cowboy either.

Dr. Death Steve Williams-JR's Son?
It may not have been his gimmick, but it was entirely too prolific. He was a monster and thats all they should have kept him. They hurt JR and ruined Dr. Death's WWE run.

The Sheepherder as the Bushwhackers ! Just so stupid beyond belief ! These guys were world wide stars and killers in every territory that they worked and Vince turned them into a PG joke comedy act !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back