General ROH Spam Thread

I don't have time to watch multiple 60 minute draws and I hate things being spoiled for me. Definitive ending please.

I know the Michaels-Hart Iron Matches are well-loved, but if you can't tell me a singles match's story in twenty minutes or less, then I have no time to see the story you're trying to tell. I watched the Michaels-Cena match on Raw a couple of months back, I just shifted to doing other things while it was on. If you've got more than two guys you can stretch it out just fine, but goddamn I don't know how ROH fans can sit their for an hour and watch a fight like this.

It's the suspense of the match during it that gets people into it. If Lethal was a few months into his reign maybe people would be more into it because realistically Roddy might beat him, but Lethal just won the title, Roddy wasn't even under contract in Baltimore and even though he is now I still don't think they'd take the title off Lethal so fast to put it on Roddy solely because it's Roddy.

I love Roddy as a wrestler, and he's playing a great heel in PWG, but that isn't coming across in ROH. Hes found a niche now where hes Mr. ROH, a role Bryan and Steen had before him and I do think he'll be ROH World Champion again, but not right now. Roddy winning the title again against Lethal would be 10x more shocking than Jay Briscoe beating Elgin and that was pretty fucking shocking.

Not ROH but sort of related:

Do the American Wolves have heat in Japan? Specifically, with NJPW and NOAH?

Davey has heat with both, Eddie, nope.

Davey claimed NOAH owed him money from when his grandfather died. Under its last management it wasn't easy to be a gaijin in NOAH because you were usually used as a jobber, especially if you are a light heavyweight like Davey is. Davey got pissed and jumped to NJPW which annoyed NOAH and then he trashed NOAH and said they owed him money from unpaid travel expenses. He was going to return to NOAH in late 2013 but then Davey canceled last minute.

As for NJPW, he claims they told him they were going to make him Junior Heavyweight Champion by beating Devitt/Balor but then changed their minds. Davey got angry again and missed a tour saying that he was in a car crash on his way to the airport to get his flight to Japan even though there has never been any evidence presented of said car crash. So NJPW black balled him.

As for Eddie, he's fine everywhere, in fact he was one of the few gaijins to consistently work for NOAH for the better part of six years.

Is that why The Wolves basically only have TNA? Eddie is good but lacks any real personality and Davey has just forced the team to stay with a sinking ship.

Is that why The Wolves basically only have TNA? Eddie is good but lacks any real personality and Davey has just forced the team to stay with a sinking ship.

Pretty much. They'd be fine on the indies if that was all they were doing but Eddie Edwards would wind up back in ROH. And after Aries got back into ROH I won't say Davey will never return, time heals wounds, but I don't see the Wolves ever working for WWE, New Japan or NOAH.

Okay so the 8/21 Philly show already had Strong/Lethal for the big belt, Sydal/KUSHIDA, and Nakamura/Cole, and now...

Chaos(represented by Okada and Roppongi Vice) vs. The Briscoes and Hirooki Goto(making his ROH debut)

What a fucking card so far. Goto in ROH should be nothing short of truly awesome. I'm jealous of all of you assholes who are able to attend.

Speaking of the Philly taping:

082115castlevscedric.jpg

Once again... I LOVE IT.

Interaction between Veda and the "boys" should be a great bonus to this as well.

Dalton Castle vs. Alexander has potential to be a very good match.

Again, this is turning into a very strong TV taping. Arguably the strongest of the year.

Just reading Chuck Taylor's AMA on Reddit and damn, this dude is too talented to not be working for ROH or some other televised company. I mean, he literally says that nobody wants him and that is why he's retiring. He even contacted Delirious and I know from Kevin Steen's interview with Taylor that Steen went to bat for him to get him into ROH for the SCUM angle. Yet, nothing. ROH doesn't want him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/3fwzw8/hey_im_chuck_taylor_ask_me_anything/ctsvwcp

There's no options for me right now. None of the bigger promotions want me. Not ROH or TNA or Lucha Underground or WWE. How long until it just becomes *********ory to keep wrestling? It's time to grow up. I don't want to be the sad old dude who has nothing else.

2klrbl.jpg

11218153_10155980903200473_9112800665247521876_n.jpg

Both cards are absolutely ridiculous.

Had it not been for NXT running against ROH on the Saturday that show would have been a sure fire attendance record breaker. Still get a very good crowd though.

Listened to this at the gym this morning. All I wanted was a couple of boys with feathers to be standing at the changing room door.

"I'M A FIRESTARTER BABY!"

Delirious is at the G1 climax finals and just announced a show in Japan next year, I assume it is in conjunction with New Japan, but that is pretty fucking big

Delirious is at the G1 climax finals and just announced a show in Japan next year, I assume it is in conjunction with New Japan, but that is pretty fucking big

First Japan tour in nine years. That is pretty fucking big. ROH were on TV in Japan when they were on HDNet too so they could open some doors over there with their brand of American wrestling. But Delirious speaking English was fucking weird. You could see he was amazed by being in a New Japan ring though.

Non-spoiler notes from Field of Honor, Alex Shelley had his two front teeth knocked out a couple of minutes into his match with The Briscoes. He continued the match and finished it but hes been tweeting today that he doesn't remember anything. Hes thanked ROH who will be covering the cost of fixing his teeth which I think is pretty cool because they don't really have to do that because hes not contracted, but obviously they'd want to because they'll want to bring him back I assume.

Shelley has the worst luck of any wrestler I know right now. That was his first match in three months and he was immediately injured. He was coming back from his knee injury too. Every time he gets some momentum the dude gets injured. It sucks.

Chris Sabin is also tweeting that he'll be returning soon and thanked ROH for using him while he was out injured as a manager of sorts.

Essentially, ROH is funding the MCMG right now.

That was cool. I'd love if ROH sent Jericho a t-shirt and he posted a picture with it on.

In the Observer, Meltzer says Sinclair are trying to buy an unidentified cable channel and that they want to push ROH on it if they can purchase it. He says its a national cable channel, but nobody but Dish network and the FCC knows who it is. So Destination America has no issue with keeping ROH on the air - mostly because DA/Discovery and SBG are friends in a way, so ROH being on their channel is kind of a favor - but if they get the cable channel, ROH will be pulled and put on said channel.

Interesting to know what channel it is.

Analysis on ROH's year thus far from Dave Meltzer:

ROH had a strong growth year, having by far its best year ever when it came to live attendance, doing sellout business in 1,000 seat buildings all over the country. When the Sinclair deal was put together, the business model was that they would be a success if they could draw 750 per show, with the idea they were doing 300 to 500 and television would be able to bring that figure up. At first, that didn’t happen. It is likely expenses are higher now, as there are wrestlers on better paid contracts, and using outside talent like A.J. Styles and The Young Bucks, not to mention the New Japan stars, isn’t cheap. Right now with ROH, there are no signs of great aggressive expansion, but it is the one promotion where attendance is up across the board and it is the one promotion actually making money.

Whether you say it’s more by default, they are the clear No. 2. Yet on Wednesday night, TNA blows them away when it comes to ratings. ROH can sell tickets because hardcore fans know they are getting great matches. But the lack of names casual fans would know, and even more, the production values of the television show, have limited any ratings growth, and ultimately, the key to the business is television. Sinclair has never been aggressive with its wrestling product, and the production values of the show are the prime example, as a company owned by a major network looking the way it does is almost baffling. Except, Sinclair clearly picked this up to be cheap original programming with the idea as a company it could be self sufficient, or close to it, running live events. They're on a slow growth pattern, but they are also clearly not a big priority to their network, so are always in danger of the wrong executive who doesn’t like wrestling getting into power.

ROH was talking TV deals with major cable companies all year, including some talks with Spike that, if they included better production as part of the package, would have been a game changer. But they ended up with the same Destination America that TNA was on, but it was a deal for exposure as it doesn’t appear Destination America was paying anything for ROH. And they did no advertising for ROH, while continuing to advertise TNA, since they were paying for that one.

But on the same night, TNA’s viewership dwarfed that of ROH, and ROH quickly lost its 8 p.m. time slot and is now only at 11 p.m. Its contract with Destination America runs out in early December. They’ve seemingly solidified their relationship with New Japan, which is a key deal because their top talent can work with the world’s No. 2 group, and the top stars of New Japan worked more regularly for ROH, and the joint shows were huge successes.

1440758857-sotf13novforum.png

AJ Styles is only missing two shows from now until the end of the year and the reason for missing those shows is because of New Japan bookings, hes booked on everything else.

I'm 90% certain Lethal vs. Styles will main event Final Battle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back