General (Non-ROH) Indie Spam thread

When are we going to see the return of this man?

134490643814.jpg

Remember Steen Wolf?

[YOUTUBE]bGr_y8NxcAo[/YOUTUBE]

That was the show that got me hooked on PWG. What a moment.

Now that would be an UPSET, maybe the biggest ever in this tourney's first round. Ryan is included for nostalgia reasons, while Younger has to be looked at as the favorite to win the whole thing. If Drake jobbed this quick Reseda would riot.

I don't think any former world champion and former winner of the tournament winning their first round match can ever be looked at as an upset. But you pay more attention to PWG than me.

Cage is probably in the same limbo that Mack is in, while Ciampa brings a fresh dynamic into the tournament. He could be a hit with Reseda and will probably get a second round shot before bowing out.

No he's not. Cage hasn't missed a show since his debut. He might have dropped down the card, but he's still regularly on it. Mack's been struggling for bookings all year.

I don't think any former world champion and former winner of the tournament winning their first round match can ever be looked at as an upset. But you pay more attention to PWG than me.

Ryan's been a jobber to the stars in PWG for years.

No he's not. Cage hasn't missed a show since his debut. He might have dropped down the card, but he's still regularly on it. Mack's been struggling for bookings all year.

That's only because he's been teaming with Elgin, who is one of the hottest things in indy wrestling right now. I'd take Mack over Cage any day.

Ryan's been a jobber to the stars in PWG for years.

I've watched 3 shows. I cede the point.

That's only because he's been teaming with Elgin, who is one of the hottest things in indy wrestling right now. I'd take Mack over Cage any day.

So to confirm, Brian Cage is/was teaming with one of the hottest guys in indie wrestling, while Willie Mack is barely being booked at all? Yeah, sounds like they're in the same boat :rolleyes:

If PWG wasn't high on Cage they wouldn't be booking him to team with Elgin. Elgin would be being booked in singles or teaming with someone they do think is worth a damn. Whether or not Cage is better than Mack doesn't really matter because it's clear who the company is higher on. Also, Elgin doesn't explain why Cage was originally scheduled to face Davey Richards at Ten before he pulled out (because booking a match between one of the biggest names in indie wrestling and a guy you're not high on makes perfect sense, right?)

So to confirm, Brian Cage is/was teaming with one of the hottest guys in indie wrestling, while Willie Mack is barely being booked at all? Yeah, sounds like they're in the same boat :rolleyes:

If PWG wasn't high on Cage they wouldn't be booking him to team with Elgin. Elgin would be being booked in singles or teaming with someone they do think is worth a damn. Whether or not Cage is better than Mack doesn't really matter because it's clear who the company is higher on. Also, Elgin doesn't explain why Cage was originally scheduled to face Davey Richards at Ten before he pulled out (because booking a match between one of the biggest names in indie wrestling and a guy you're not high on makes perfect sense, right?)

They team together because they are both really strong and can do spots like passing a guy between them in a suplex. I'm not saying he's terrible, because PWG wouldn't book him if he was. I just greatly prefer Willie Mack.

Also, I know Willie is originally from St. Louis. If he still lives there (he might have moved to LA, but I'm not sure), travel could be a big reason why he isn't there that often.

They team together because they are both really strong and can do spots like passing a guy between them in a suplex. I'm not saying he's terrible, because PWG wouldn't book him if he was. I just greatly prefer Willie Mack.

I get that their shtick is being big guys in a company filled with little guys, which makes for some fun spots. However, it's untrue to claim that Cage and Mack are in similar spots. As for thinking Mack > Cage, that's fair enough. Cage is frustrating performer even as someone who's a fan of him. He's barely got enough psychology to tie his matches together and seems to lack a higher gear for big matches. Also, total dumbass.

Also, I know Willie is originally from St. Louis. If he still lives there (he might have moved to LA, but I'm not sure), travel could be a big reason why he isn't there that often.

He's moved to LA. Cage is based in Sacramento, which is a couple of hundred miles further away.

What I meant was that both are company mainstays who moved to the top of the card for a title shot last year, failed to win the belt, and have slid back down into the lower-mid card without much indication that they are going to improve that status anytime soon.

So O'Reilly won BOLA as a lot of us predicted. Well deserved and can't wait till I get my hands on BOLA Night 1 & 2. The bigger story is the angle coming out of Night 2. If you haven't heard, basically Cole, Steen & The Young Bucks beat down O'Reilly and a few others at the end of the show to form a new stable; Mount Rushmore of Wrestling. This is exciting and a rarity in that angles in PWG are hard to come by, but when they do happen I think they are brilliant (see Bucks vs Rick Knox). About to watch TEN, PWG PWG PWG.

Awesome fucking promo here by Steen.

Also if anyone has extra time and want to watch them, many of the pre-BOLA promos were outstanding as well, especially Drake Younger's which was a goddamn masterpiece.

Still waiting on Ten in the mail. I hate Holiday weekends.

Well if you're gonna show that promo then you may as well post the clip of the aftermath of BOLA 13.

[youtube]hREcvcvtQng[/youtube]

It makes me pissed the way people talk about indy wrestling... Can't we call good promo to a good promo, instead of a masterpiece and overrate the shit out of it?

It makes me pissed the way people talk about indy wrestling... Can't we call good promo to a good promo, instead of a masterpiece and overrate the shit out of it?

Did you see the promo in question? I'm not prone to ridiculous levels of hyperbole. I didn't call O'Reilly's promo a "masterpiece" and it was really entertaining. I didn't over-hype Ciampa's pre-BOLA promo, as some on the webs have. I said what I did about Younger's promo because it's sure as shit the truth...

Lots of wrestlers overuse inflection, and put on fake over-the-top emotion to try and make a promo feel more real. I don't get any of that façade from Younger's promo here. It is either as real as can be or the guy should win a goddamn Emmy, because that soliloquy was fucking fantastic. If a WWE wrestler were allowed to deliver a promo like that before a big event, he would single-handedly add an extra 50,000 buys easy on the strength of the promo alone.

I didn't overstate it "because it's indy wrestling". Heyman's promo on SmackDown last week, Bryan and Cena's MizTV promo before SummerSlam, they were also masterpieces. But I also don't have downplay the quality of the promo just because it was delivered by Drake Younger to sell DVD's and not by a "WWE Superstar" to sell PPVs. I call a spade a spade and Younger's promo I referred to was a Nut-Flush in spades. Fuck off if you have a problem with it :).

This was not fantastic nor a masterpiece and Drake Younger should not get an Emmy for that. It was a cool promo, but it didn't sell any DVD's for me, specially when it comes to PWG. Stop overrating that shit please. There are probably five promos in the history of wrestling that one can call a masterpiece, and this is not one of them. Sure the content was kinda on spot, but Younger wasn't even serious, his facial expressions showed how he was doing his best not to laugh. Anytime an indy darling tells me that "watch this match, is brilliant and the best I've seen" I just tell him to fuck off, because when I watch it later, it's a complete shit from "the best someone could have seen".

Right now I was kinda expecting a over the top promo, something that could help me overshadow the CM Punk promo back in 2011, but what the fuck? I'm not even sure if that one is better than Punk's promo at last Monday's Raw, and that one wasn't a masterpiece so, that can't surely be one.

Right now I was kinda expecting a over the top promo, something that could help me overshadow the CM Punk promo back in 2011, but what the fuck? I'm not even sure if that one is better than Punk's promo at last Monday's Raw, and that one wasn't a masterpiece so, that can't surely be one.

I think we have different criteria on the level of a promo being a "masterpiece". I was meaning that it is an excellently delivered promo that can get an event over on its own merit. The kind of promo that does everything its intended to do and that could be shown to a young wrestler as an example of what to aspire to if they want to see the "right way" to deliver a convincing promo.

What you're comparing it to is a historic promo. One of the greatest and most memorable addresses ever. Obviously a random youtube promo is not on that level. But any given year could provide a handful of masterpiece promos, just as any medium of art has hundreds of masterpieces while only really having a small amount of truly elite, memorable, and all time historic works. This isn't to that degree clearly, but it is and will likely remain either the strongest or second strongest(after Jay Brisco's "Don't do this to me Nigel" promo about the ROH title tournament) promo delivered to sell an event on the Indies all year. It's a top five or ten promo in wrestling in 2013 in my eyes.

I hope that gives better perspective, so you don't think every superior promo that is recorded in wrestling has to be immediately contrasted to Punk's famed worked shoot.

PWG held their Sold our Soul for Rock'n'Roll event last week(5/23) and the results(specifically the main event) have me marking out big time for the DVD, hell, I can't even wait to see the fucking hype video.

I'll put it in spoiler tags in case there is anyone who actually waits for PWG shows to be released before checking the results...

courtesy of PWInsider
http://www.pwinsider.com/article/85...or-rock-n-roll-report-from-reseda-ca.html?p=1

I attended the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla "Sold Our Soul for Rock N' Roll" show on 5/23 at the American Legion Hall in Reseda, CA. The show was sold out as usual and was a lot of fun. Here are the results:
*Roderick Strong pinned Brian Cage with a leg lariat in a stiff back and forth opener.

*Rich Swann defeated AR Fox with a 450 splash. Tons of highspots here.

*The Worlds Cutest Tag Team (Candice LaRae & Joey Ryan) defeated The Best Friends (Trent? & Chuck Taylor) when Joey helped Candace nail a reverse hurancanrana on Trent?

*Rocky Romero defeated Alex Koslov in a battle of the Forever Hooliganz.

*Ricochet def ACH via top rope 630

*Kevin Steen & The Young Bucks defeated Johnny Gargano & Cedric Alexander & Trevor Lee via package piledriver and the Bucks' spike tombstone on Lee. Lee was a sub for Andrew Everett who has a knee issue.

*Kyle O Reilly choked out Adam Cole with a triangle choke to become the new PWG champion in an excellent match. This is one of the best matches I've seen all year.

O'Reilly is FINALLY a world champ, and in PWG to boot. So well deserved. The guy has been on fire in PWG for a couple years now, producing matches in the four star range on basically every show. I couldn't be happier as a fan of his, and I can't wait to see the match.

A little bit further down the pecking order than PWG, I went to see the first of Preston City Wrestling's three shows of the weekend. They get a bit of criticism from other UK fed workers (inside line!) for their over-reliance on international talent. Then again...international talent! In my mind this show found the perfect balance between the two. Going to run through the crowd, stay with me people.

4-Way: Dean Allmark v Danny Hope v Martin Kirby v Juvi Guerrera
Guerrera was pretty fun even though he's not in the same shape as when I last saw him on TV. Hope was the star, playing a different gimmick to when I last saw him: now he's a flamboyant throwback 80s style pretty boy who struts around a lot. Fun opener, Juvi botched once but it was pretty quick.

Mad Man Manson v Noam Dar
MMM goes to McGuinness's school; his thing is he looks like a shooter, down to bare feet, but he's actually really unpredictable and funny. Dar, who you might have seen in ICW, is really talented and has bulked up since I last saw him. Comedy match with some fun spots. Two solid openers.

PCW Tag Championships: reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly) v Team Single (T-Bone & Rampage Jones)
reDRagon played heel to TS's brooding bruiser face work, this one built and built and got better and better and would have been a worthy main event to pretty much any show with all four guys going out and killing it. T-Bone & Jones are worth a look if they're in your town.

Kris Travis v Mark Andrews
Travis, who had a lot of female fans in the house, usually gets the plum job on indy shows with only one major star on. It's easy to see why: he looks great, has charisma, wrestles great and is over with all types of fan. Mark Andrews, a young smaller cruiser, was unknown to the house but both guys went all out to follow the stellar match before and if I'm honest, they possibly did.

Shane 'Hurricane' Helms v Dave Rayne
Y'all know Helms. He can't move as well but he's still really fun to watch. Dave Rayne's shtick is that he has a self-created title that only he has access to the rules for. Helms took the fall and Rayne consulted his book to find that masked wrestlers are forbidden to win. They restarted with Helms' Crimefighter Championship on the line, with Rayne winning. Helms then consulted his rulebook and found that non-crimefighters were allowed to win. A third fall for no title occurred, with Helms going over. He then posed for photos at £10 a pop and had a good sized line.

interval: saw the Superman from that Raw, in his cape.

Al Snow v Bubblegum
Snow did his Head shtick, was way over. Bubblegum plays heel and face all over the country to great effect and went heel in a funny 'who can out-cheat' match that eased us into the second half and...

Low-Ki v El Ligero.
MEIN GOTT THOSE CHOPS! Great bruising one-on-one with Low Ki going over but putting Ligero's toughness right over. Low Ki in a middle gear is still astounding to watch and Ligero always works hard for a good match (look up his PCW match v Dragon Gate's Akira Tozawa!).

4-Way: Chris Masters v Uhaa Nation v Cyanide v Dave Mastiff
MEIN GOTT Uhaa is OVER. Masters is over in Preston, he goes there a lot and works his ass off. Cyanide is inexperienced but was covered well here and got his good-looking stuff in. Mastiff is brilliant and brutish and should get a walk-on in Game of Thrones as some kind of Wildling murderer. Uhaa Fucking Nation though! The pop for his win was unreal, the guy looked like he couldn't believe what was happening, HE IS THE FUTURE. Good match.

Main event was announced by Jeremy Borash!

MVP & Joey Hayes v Kris Travis & Danny Hope
Had to bolt halfway through but MVP was fun, did a lot of heelish stuff, you can see that he's a star for a reason. Hayes plays a pretty boy face in GPW, here he's a dick heel. Good guy.

9/10 show, really fun, value for money at £15 ($22 at a guess) considering the array of talent and the production effort that had gone into it. Got to see some guys who thrilled me as a kid and some dudes who I love right now at the height of their relevancy. Awesome!

AJ Styles has just been announced for PWG's three night Battle of Los Angeles tournament. The line-up for this tournament is sick!

Matt Sydal (Evan Bourne)
Drew Gulak
Trevor Lee
Chris Sabin
Johnny Gargano
Brian Myers (Curt Hawkins)
ROH World Champion, Michael Elgin
CZW Heavyweight Champion, Biff Busick
Brian Cage
PWG World Champion, Kyle O'Reilly
ACH
England's Zak Sabre Jr.
Rich Swann
Trent? (Baretta)
Cedric Alexander
IWGP Heavyweight Champion, AJ Styles

And there are still eight entrants to be announced, two of which will probably be Kazarian and Daniels, another Roderick Strong and the expected final entrant will be Kevin Steen making his last PWG appearance. Awesome shit.

Is this an IPPV or DVD only?

PWG is all DVD's, they can't do iPPV because if they did ROH would pull their roster from it and Gabe would probably pull Gargano, Chuck Taylor, AR Fox and others. They do the events, they release a preview a couple weeks later and then they start selling a DVD a month later.

So I just got done watching PWG ELEVEN, which everyone who attended was saying was amazing, especially the main event - PWG's hardcore fans are like hardcore WWE fans, they think everything is amazing, even if it's not. But the main event, the main event is actually sickly awesome.

Candice Larae and Joey Ryan vs. The Young Bucks. Say what you want about The Bucks, Ryan or even Candice if you know her, they told an excellent story, got some comedy in there and got some seriousness in there too. Even Kevin Steen on commentary pretty much broke "character" and was telling The Bucks to stop their attack on Candice...

The Bucks took out a shoe from under the ring that had thumbtacks embedded in it, as in pointing outward and they kicked and connected with Candice's head. It's not easy to watch, not because it's just a girl who was already bleeding at this point, but also because it's just very violent.

It's an insane main event. Nobody can exaggerate that.

iodmie.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back