• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gary Sheffield: Hall of Famer?

The Brain

King Of The Ring
Next up in my HOF series is Gary Sheffield. Sheffield has already been out of the game for a few years so his numbers are final. He will be on the ballot in 2015. To me Gary Sheffield was always kind of an afterthought when discussing the top sluggers of the 90s and 00s. He had a great career and put up some big numbers but he was never one of the first names I thought about when thinking of the great players of that era.

If you look at Sheffield’s numbers you could easily argue that he should be in the HOF. He’s in the 500 home run club which used to be an automatic ticket to Cooperstown. That stat doesn’t mean quite as much as it used to but it is still impressive. Sheffield also has 1676 RBI which puts him at 26th all time. A career .292 average (he hit over .300 ten times) and 2689 hits aren’t overly impressive but they are certainly solid numbers to go along with the big power numbers. Some people are of the mindset that if you have to research someone’s numbers to determine if they’re a hall of famer they are likely not a hall of famer. You should just know a hall of famer when you hear his name. I’m not sure I agree with that (as is evident by this series I’m doing for which I have many more names in mind) but I understand that viewpoint.

I think Sheffield was somewhat of an afterthought to me because he never stayed in one place for very long. Most hall of famers are associated with a certain team even if they played for a few throughout their career. Sheffield had some great years with a few different teams but he was never the face of the franchise for anyone because he bounced around so much. The longest he ever spent with one franchise was when he was traded to the Marlins about halfway through the 1993 season before he was traded from them early in the 1998 season. I think if Sheffield put up the exact same career numbers but spent ten to fifteen years with one team it would be easier to picture him in Cooperstown.

I think if I had a vote I would probably vote Sheffield in but he’s not a lock despite those 500 plus home runs. What do you think?

My argument is that if you're going to put Dave Kingman in the HOF, then someone like Gary Sheffield should go, too.

Sheffield's been a winner mostly everywhere he's played, constantly knocking in runs and getting clutch hits when needed. His defense was great, too.

Put him in.

My argument is that if you're going to put Dave Kingman in the HOF, then someone like Gary Sheffield should go, too.

Sheffield's been a winner mostly everywhere he's played, constantly knocking in runs and getting clutch hits when needed. His defense was great, too.

Put him in.

You may be thinking of someone else. Dave Kingman is not in the Hall of Fame.

If Mike Piazza isn't in the Hall of Fame I don't see how Gary Sheffield can be. The state of the Baseball Hall of Fame is in is a sad one, and when someone who wasn't even accused of using PEDs can't get in the Hall of Fame, I don't see how someone who was named in the Mitchell Report (and wasn't as good as Mike Piazza anyway) can.

If Mike Piazza isn't in the Hall of Fame I don't see how Gary Sheffield can be. The state of the Baseball Hall of Fame is in is a sad one, and when someone who wasn't even accused of using PEDs can't get in the Hall of Fame, I don't see how someone who was named in the Mitchell Report (and wasn't as good as Mike Piazza anyway) can.

I'm confident Mike Piazza will be in the Hall of Fame some day. The sluggers of the 90s and 00s are unfortunately going to have to wait a while but I believe the best ones will eventually get in. I think Piazza will be in within the next two or three years. I would be shocked to see Sheffield get in on the first ballot but I could see him getting in after several years on the ballot.

You may be thinking of someone else. Dave Kingman is not in the Hall of Fame.

Well that does change everything. If Kingman's not in there, then I don't see folks like Sheffield and Piazza getting in. He's the barometer as far as the cut-line for HOF hitters. If you've hit more HR's than Kingman, you can go in. If you're stats are on par with his, then there's a good chance you're on the borderline unless said player was apart of a dynasty, something Sheffield or Piazza were not.

Well that does change everything. If Kingman's not in there, then I don't see folks like Sheffield and Piazza getting in. He's the barometer as far as the cut-line for HOF hitters. If you've hit more HR's than Kingman, you can go in. If you're stats are on par with his, then there's a good chance you're on the borderline unless said player was apart of a dynasty, something Sheffield or Piazza were not.

Sheffield's numbers are significantly better than Kingman's. Kingman had a career batting average of only .236. Sheffield was .292. Kingman had 442 home runs, 1210 RBI, and 1575 hits. Sheffield had 509 home runs, 1676 RBI, and 2689 hits. If you consider Kingman the cut-line I think Sheffield has to go in. Altough I wouldn't consider Kingman the cut-line. He only hit above .280 once. I didn't see him play but it appears outside the home runs Kingman wasn't much. The voters didn't think so. He fell off the ballot after one year when he received only 0.7% of the vote.

Sheffield's numbers are significantly better than Kingman's. Kingman had a career batting average of only .236. Sheffield was .292. Kingman had 442 home runs, 1210 RBI, and 1575 hits. Sheffield had 509 home runs, 1676 RBI, and 2689 hits. If you consider Kingman the cut-line I think Sheffield has to go in. Altough I wouldn't consider Kingman the cut-line. He only hit above .280 once. I didn't see him play but it appears outside the home runs Kingman wasn't much. The voters didn't think so. He fell off the ballot after one year when he received only 0.7% of the vote.

I just hear his name on Sportscenter when they mention homeruns in a week-long span or something. He's good in spurts, but his overall body of work lacked. What about Bobby Bonnila?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back