Game Genres You Just Can't Play Anymore

DarksideEric

Call me "Hadouken." I'm ↓→ fierce.
Being honest here, I just can't stand to play FPS games any longer.

I was a giant fan during the end of the 90s with games like Counter Strike, Starsiege TRIBES, Unreal and GoldenEye 007.

I moved into Halo like many people and stuck with it to Halo 3 then dropped the Halo series shortly after its release, skipped ODST, played Reach for about a month because friends had it and then have played all of 10 minutes of Halo 4.

Loved the hell out of Team Fortress 2 for about 6 months while working in the game industry.

Never got into Call of Duty.

Loved Bad Company 2 for like 6 months, as well as the Vietnam expansion came out... Battlefield 3 I dropped after 3 days.

The problem with FPS games for me is that there doesn't seem to be the same shifting/expanding/evolving meta game in them like with other games I have dived into and been a part of, especially competitively.

I really got bored of FPS games being easily boiled down into "these collection of guns are the best in the game" and being linked to the same basic strategy. If that makes any sense. Like, with Halo, once people found out the DMR/BR were the best guns, pretty much every other gun gets pushed aside. Unlike say, Street Fighter (which I used to play in tournaments) where a player can create a new way to use a lower tiered character to be more effective than people originally thought them to be.

Dunno, just can't play FPS games anymore unless they start rolling out games in the Shadowrun/TRIBES style.

Agree? Disagree? What genres can you no longer play?

I'd have to agree with what you said about the First Person Shooter genre, I have had to take a major step back from those. Always so similar, although I had a blast with Duke Nukem Forever. I haven't laughed in a long time at video games, but that game had me rolling, it was actually fun! Slapping wall-boobs, picking up feces and hitting people, good times. (Spent my entire time in elementary school playing Goldeneye007, the remake was shit though, just a cash in.)

It seems that everybody tries to huddle around the same basic idea of what made it big in 2007. Slight nuances and flashy graphics are the only way you can tell things apart now, but I was more burnt out dealing with people. Total fucking rubes most of the time, make me want to shove their dog in a microwave or something, but I digress. :)

The Wrestling Genre for me has been stale for a long time, definitely needs a facelift.

The last true Wrestling game I got into hardcore was Fire Pro Wrestlig Returns on the PS2. Horribly underrated and unappreciated. Many people stayed away from the game because they soon learned they needed to use more than 2 buttons to win a match and couldn't spam the controls.

My problem is that they should not be yearly release, because most of the time the roster reflects what has happened in the beginning of the year due to production, and sometimes wrestlers aren't even there anymore. The Advent of DLC should have fixed this. Tri-Monthly Wrestler packs, and additional Storyline,Moves, and CAW items once a month as well. AND PLEASE CHANGE THAT GOD DAMN WEAPON WHEEL!!! IT HAS BEEN THE SAME FOR YEARS!!

See I take an opposing viewpoint granteded a lot of FPS is shovelware, or lame, but there are FPS games that push the evelope. Games like Half Life 2(the entire Ravenholm section) and Bioshock Infinite rocked my world, and the first Bioshock had a twist that rocked my world hard. So there are some FPS games that do push the limits.

Speaking of game types I can't stand:

SANDBOX games. They get so old. Yes I get it GTA III was a groundbreaking game, but the Sandbox thing is SO overdone. In fact that is one of the reasons I have to really play Skyrim. Because it is so overdone of a game type.

See I take an opposing viewpoint granteded a lot of FPS is shovelware, or lame, but there are FPS games that push the evelope. Games like Half Life 2(the entire Ravenholm section) and Bioshock Infinite rocked my world, and the first Bioshock had a twist that rocked my world hard. So there are some FPS games that do push the limits.

Unfortunately, Half Life 2 is not of this current generation.

I've heard Bioshock Infinite was good, can't remember if it had multiplayer or not, but to me there's very few FPS games than feel like they have a shifting meta anymore which gets boring as hell.

I'm with you on FPS. Only one I really play anymore is Fallout, and that's mostly for the story it tells.

You know those puzzle games that you have to swipe shit around to make a combo? I used to play some Pokemon Puzzle League, and various Tetris games like Tetris Attack. Loved those games. But then I started playing Bedazzled and it just wasn't as fun anymore. And Candy Crush Saga comes along, played it, and couldn't stand it.

I think there is only so many ways you can play a game with that specific mechanic until it just isn't worth your time anymore.

I'm with you on FPS. Only one I really play anymore is Fallout, and that's mostly for the story it tells.

You know those puzzle games that you have to swipe shit around to make a combo? I used to play some Pokemon Puzzle League, and various Tetris games like Tetris Attack. Loved those games. But then I started playing Bedazzled and it just wasn't as fun anymore. And Candy Crush Saga comes along, played it, and couldn't stand it.

I think there is only so many ways you can play a game with that specific mechanic until it just isn't worth your time anymore.

Yeah, the only "match three" game I can really keep up with and still have fun is Marvel Puzzle Quest.

I'm extremely displeased with just how many Candy Crush/Bejeweled clones there are.

I rarely play FPS for multiplayer, I like a good immersive story. Bioschock Infinite had a multipayer but.

Multiplayer in FPS only works well in games that are specific for it (i.e. Quake).

Quake has a balanced set of weapons that everyone can get. You don't have to earn the weapon it's an equal playing field.

With these military shooters it's all about grinding out to unlock the big best bad ass gun.

Plus the storylines are laughable in these military shooters.(Battlefield 3 I am looking at you!)

I really am tired of games that are trying to be hybrid games (1 part shooter 1 part RPG, 1 part puzzle, 1 part social). Pick a game style and stick with it.

I also am tired of clear cut morality choices in games(thanok you Fable!)

I rarely play FPS for multiplayer, I like a good immersive story. Bioschock Infinite had a multipayer but.

Multiplayer in FPS only works well in games that are specific for it (i.e. Quake).

Quake has a balanced set of weapons that everyone can get. You don't have to earn the weapon it's an equal playing field.

With these military shooters it's all about grinding out to unlock the big best bad ass gun.

Plus the storylines are laughable in these military shooters.(Battlefield 3 I am looking at you!)

I really am tired of games that are trying to be hybrid games (1 part shooter 1 part RPG, 1 part puzzle, 1 part social). Pick a game style and stick with it.

I also am tired of clear cut morality choices in games(thanok you Fable!)

Yeah, aside from Halo CE and Halo 2, I think the best FPS multiplayer games were always the ones built specifically for multiplayer, like TRIBES.

I've no problems with FPS games that have RPG elements, such as actual classes (especially if you don't need to grind them out).

I'm alos very, very tired of the very tired limit morality in games touches on... "kill him or don't kill him," there's no real "why" involved as it usually just revolves around pushing the story along or getting red powers instead of blue ones.

I'm alos very, very tired of the very tired limit morality in games touches on... "kill him or don't kill him," there's no real "why" involved as it usually just revolves around pushing the story along or getting red powers instead of blue ones.

Couldn't agree with you more. I remember playing Knights Of The Old Republic and playing as a good guy, I finished the game. They try and push the whole play as a bad guy this go around, but really, how much will it effect the end of the game. I have yet to see a game with morality choices done in a way that has a true impact on the game and change the entire direction of game.

Speaking of game types. Military "near future" FPS. Yes it is part of the FPS, but this story is so bad.

The whole your squad can't do anything trope: Why is the player character forced to do evertyhing? If I am supposed to be part of some elite black ops kick ass unit why am I forced to snipe, use the rocket launcher and fly the helicopter? Alittle help please

The your squad are morons: This really has to do with poor game design and mechanics, NPC's who get lost in a level, they glitch themselves into a locked room forcing you to restart the level. Etc. Etc.

BAD STORY LINES: The Battlefield 3 storyline makes no sense. Seriously your being interviewed by people who have no clue what you did? Wouldn't there be after action reports that they could read?

Over the top set pieces: All of Call of Duty: Ghosts

Couldn't agree with you more. I remember playing Knights Of The Old Republic and playing as a good guy, I finished the game. They try and push the whole play as a bad guy this go around, but really, how much will it effect the end of the game. I have yet to see a game with morality choices done in a way that has a true impact on the game and change the entire direction of game.

I'm a designer, I've got the large desire to make a game where you're making morality choices when you don't even know it (or at least, have no idea what the "good, bad and neutral" choices are.

I want to make (or at least play) a game with morality in it where I actually have to stop and really think on what'd I'd actually do instead of just basing it on what powers I'd have or who I might be able to sleep with.

I'm a designer, I've got the large desire to make a game where you're making morality choices when you don't even know it (or at least, have no idea what the "good, bad and neutral" choices are.

I want to make (or at least play) a game with morality in it where I actually have to stop and really think on what'd I'd actually do instead of just basing it on what powers I'd have or who I might be able to sleep with.

Spec Ops: The Line fits this idea perfectly.

It seems like a rather generic military shooter at first glance but I urge you to give it a shot. One of the most remarkable experiences in gaming I have ever had. Genuinelly made me feel awful for some of the choices I made, the last game that stuck with me like this one did was Silent Hill 2. I won't say anything more about it as its something you just have to experience.

I've found as I'm getting older my attention span for games are getting shorter. I don't seem to be able to enjoy huge open ended games like Skyrim or Fallout anymore. All respect to them, but I just don't have the hours to dedicated to games like that anymore.

Just cannot stand FPS and I'm not entirely sure why, because I love 3rd person. I think it's something to do with the disconnect of not being so fully aware of your surroundings, precise movements etc. The last FPS I properly played was Quake, everything since then has just been the same old shit.
I also have a deep dislike of modern beat-em-ups. They've simply become too complicated to be enjoyable with all the combo nonsense.

Almost every game genre/type is now tired and over-used - FPS, survivalist, open world, post-apocalyptic etc. - and have been for the last decade. It was part of the reason why the Wii was so successful - a new approach to gaming, which I still think has yet to be fully realised.

The problem is that gaming is more popular than ever now, going through a sort of Attitude Era type boom where all those who were brought up on games are now in a position to buy games for themselves and their kids, so there is very little financial need to be overly creative or adventurous in following up on the advances of the Wii, Kinect and even the Wii U.

Just stick to the same tired old crap, pump more power into your consoles and use it solely for graphics. To hell with gameplay and plot. Aliens/monsters/armies shooting at you will do.

The genre I cannot play anymore and haven't been able to for about a decade now is FPS. I find them to be boring nowadays, and the controls just haven't been tolerable since before Halo. I am unable to play the games that force you to use both control sticks. One to aim and the other to move. Goldeneye had a format that worked, it didn't need fixing. If I can find an FPS game with that kind of control scheme, where only one control stick has to be used, maybe I'd enjoy it more. Or maybe I'll just stick to Final Fantasy, Mario, Zelda, etc. Those were always more of my cup of tea.

I have a hard time playing anything outside sports games anymore.

That's one reason I still haven't gotten around to buying GTA V. When I bought Saints Row The Third I played very little of it. For some reason I can't sit down and play any games that are shooting or story based. A friend let me borrow The Last Of Us which I played maybe 20 minutes into and he let me borrow Beyond Two Souls and I haven't even started it. I've had both games for two or three months.

Even wrestling games don't get my full attention. I have the last two games set up with in my Universe mode with all the rosters and stuff but I'm about two weeks into each game's Universe mode.

I play a couple Skylanders games with my nephew and LEGO Batman but I usually dread playing them when those are the games he asks to play.

I do every once in a while go to a friend's house and play Golden Eye and No Mercy on his N64 but playing those games in a group isn't too bad.

The only racing game I currently play is Nascar: Inside Line but I'm horrible at it so it isn't really fun. I really only enjoy it when my nephew wants to play it and we turn all the flags off and just run over people.

I can't really get into MLB games anymore either. It's probably my dwindling interest in baseball in general but I honestly can't remember the last baseball game I bought and in the last three years that I've been in this house I've only played whatever game it is once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back