Flair Region, Atlanta Subregion, First Round: (7) Goldberg vs. (26) Sgt. Slaughter

Who Wins This Match?

• Goldberg

• Sgt. Slaughter

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK-aholic

Shawn Michaels ❤
This is a first round match in the Flair Region, Atlanta Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Phillips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia.

phillips-arena2.jpg

Goldberg%2B7.png

#7. Goldberg

Vs.

17F86C5D94224E689965A51E85E153C9.ashx

#26. Sgt Slaughter

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Goldberg here.

Sgt Slaughter was at his best while he was playing a massive heel betraying America. Goldberg ate massive heels for breakfast and then had leftovers of massive heels for lunch and dinner. A few punches, maybe a body slam or suplex, spear, and Jackhammer.

Vote Goldberg

Atlanta? Sorry Sgt. but Goldberg wins this one. Spear. Jack-hammer. 1-2-3.

Goldberg would beat Slaughter any day of the week and the fact that this is in Atlanta makes this match a no-contest.

Please. Goldberg is, if anything, a far lesser version of Nemesis Enforcer. I think we all know how that played out. Go Joe!

I think this would just be one of those Nitro streak matches that lasted about 60 seconds. Sorry Slaughter, you dont have anything going for you here. Goldberg is too much of a runaway truck for you to stop.

I think Slaughter is underrated for how awesome the character was, but looking back, that's all there was to him. Goldberg wins this pretty easily, and begins his road to his first tournament championship.

Goldberg was a flash in the pan, but his ceiling was always higher than Slaughter, who was simply a transitional champion at his best. Goldberg takes this with relative ease.

I liked Sgt. Slaughter but I loved Goldberg.

His undefeated streak was awesome enough to go over Slaughter in terms of accomplishments.

Plus I think that Goldberg is better than Sgt. Slaughter so it goes like this: Some punches, exploder suplex, kick , spear and jackhammer for the win.

Sgt Slaughter is one of my favorite wrestlers, I grew up watching him on GI Joe and I think I legit cried when he allied himself with Saddam Hussein.

But yeah, even my warped imagination can't create a scenario where the Sarge takes this one. Goldberg is one of those rare golden children who actually worked, it probably helped that he had a whole slew of nWo members to jackhammer along the way. Goldberg really did make me want to see what was happening on Nitro during the Monday Night Wars, and even though the match was ill-timed I still marked out when he beat Hogan.

I imagine Randy Savage hitting Goldberg with a scepter, the Iron Sheik hitting Goldberg with a chair and Sheik Adnan hitting Goldberg with a bus. Goldberg still toughs through everything and hits the jackhammer for a solid win.

Vote Goldberg.

Just on athletic prowess alone Goldberg should win this one easily. Slaughter was like a giant sloth in the ring, the pace of his matches made me want to gouge my eyes out. There's no way he finds a way around Goldberg's Spear. Slaughter's greatest moment in wrestling is losing to Hulk Hogan in the main event of a Wrestlemania that was supposed to draw over 100,000. They drew around 18,000 and had to move venues to hide their shame. THAT was Slaughter's most memorable moment.

Goldberg beat Hogan in the same night he beat Scott Hall. He beat two legends, both of whom were much better than Sarge, pretty damn easily in the same night. Spear-Jackhammer-BALLGAME.

I think Goldberg will shake Sgt.'s hand after creaming him with that spear.

I can feel it.

Meh, Slaughter would have some sort of chance, a slight one, if the match lasted longer than 5 minutes as Goldberg's abilities beyond that limit weren't exactly the stuff that dreams are made of. However, if this match went 2 minutes, I'd be surprised. Slaughter gets slaughtered with little to no trouble.

Goldberg was a phenom, a white-hot supernova that quickly became the best thing WCW had going for it. He was big, he was dominant, he was marketable, and he became the World Champion, beating Hogan in a memorable match. This should have been the beginning of a long run of success at the top of the card for Goldberg. But it wasn't. He never really did much other than that.

Goldberg had a pretty good title reign, holding the title for about four months. He also had a strong US run, in addition to a another US reign of one day. Later, there was a forgettable WWF Championship run. And....that was it. The guy who had so much hype and potential just didn't have the longevity or legacy of Sgt. Slaughter.

As over with the fans and public as Goldberg was, he had nothing on Slaughter. For a period, Slaughter was the most famous wrestler in the world not named Hogan. He starred in a popular cartoon and his action figure was the highest selling GI Joe figure. People were crazy for him, his popularity was incredible.

Slaughter is himself a former World Heavyweight Champion. To win it, he beat the Ultimate Warrior, a wrestler very similar to Goldberg. Most of the posts here seem to focus on his time as the WWF champion, but as a wrestler he was much better when younger. Slaughter won numerous regional titles and had multiple US title reigns. He was never considered a technical marvel, but Goldberg certainly wasn't either-the Sarge has the clear advantage here.

Goldberg had a really good feud with Hogan, some pretty good ones with Hall, Nash, etc. Nothing on the level of Slaughter's rivalries with Backlund, Iron Sheik, Hogan, Steamboat/Youngblood, or anything near the violence of his feud with Pat Patterson. Patterson and Slaughter took part in what was at the time an incredibly violent brawl, now known as one of the first truly legendary "hardcore"-type matches. At the time, Vince McMahon called it, "perhaps the most brutal match in professional wrestling history".

Goldberg had one World Tag title reign, with Bret Hart. Slaughter had one as well, a much stronger run with Don Kernodle. Slaughter was the better tag wrestler, the more accomplished singles star, headlined Wrestlemania, had more legendary feuds, was more popular and mainstream, was a better worker, was smarter, tougher and more violent than Goldberg was. He's experienced success in tournament formats, winning one for the US title after beating Johnny Weaver, Jay Youngblood, and Ricky Steamboat. He has been a huge part of wrestling, both inside the ring and behind the scenes, for nearly forty years. Goldberg didn't have the passion and quit early.

Goldberg most certainly has the strength advantage, but it isn't the physical mismatch many people seem to be thinking. Slaughter was a naturally big guy, over six feet and near three hundred pounds. His toughness was well known and he could be incredibly violent when called for. The advantage in power and slight advantage in size is all Goldberg has going for him here. Slaughter is the better, smarter, more experienced wrestler and his cunning is too much for Goldberg. Sarge gets the pin after luring Goldberg into a surprise lariat.

Vote Sergeant Slaughter!

Slaughter at his peak could genuinely stand up to Goldberg more so than your Mongo or Glacier, and as a previous poster has pointed out, he survived for quite a while against Warrior, a wrestler that draws a lot of parallels with Goldberg.

With that said, at his peak, it took a freaking taser to bring down Goldberg, and this was after he had plowed through pretty much all of WCW's finest. Even after this loss, Goldberg continued to be extremely dominant, and was booked continuously strongly. After Summerslam '91, Slaughter went back to his mid-card face self.

Goldberg wins, and somewhere distant, Cobra Commander laughs himself hoarse.

Someone had a go at me last year for downselling Slaughter, and they were probably right to do so. A big name in the territories and a very brave man to accept and perform the Iraqi sympathiser gimmick during the Gulf War. However, has anyone ever achieved such an organic and meteoric rise to the top as Bill Goldberg. Slaughter was renown for being a tough guy brawler and they are not the kind of people who ultimately did well against Goldberg. Goldberg wins this.

I've never been a fan of Sarge, never enjoyed his in ring work and his voice grates on me badly.

Goldberg was a revelation, he was unstoppable. Spear and Jackhammer for the easy win for da man in this one. Goldberg moves on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back