• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Final Fantasy Series

Favorite Final Fantasy Game

• Final Fantasy 1 - Regular Nintendo

• Final Fantasy 2 - Regular Nintendo

• Final Fantasy 3 - Super N.E.S.

• Final Fantasy VII (7) - Playstation

• Final Fantasy VIII (8) - Playstation

• Final Fantasy IX (9) - Playstation

• Final Fantasy X (10) - PS2

• Final Fantasy X-2 (sequel to 10) PS2

• Final Fantasy XII (12) PS2

• OTHER:

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
Which was your favorite Final Fantasy game, & why? I'd like to discuss what everyone thought of the Final Fantasy franchise, & their thoughts on each game they've played.

What did you like the most from each, what did you hate? Which game was your all-time favorite, which game did you hate more than anything? Please explain your details, that way we can start some heavy debates!

I'll start with the debate. I'd have to say first off that I voted for Final Fantasy VII, because it was the game that brought me back into this franchise. I previously played 3, got stuck & the game went into the closest, never to be seen again.

I rented Final Fantasy VII for 3 straight monthes, before a friend saved over my game progress & I never played it/finished the game, until I got it for Christmas later that same year. This is my overall take on why I loved Final Fantasy VII so much.

Final Fantasy VII: The game had a storyline that sucked you in. As much as it sounds stupid, because I named all my characters with the names of my actual friends, people I loved.. when Aeris (sp?) died, whom I aptly named after the love of my life, at that time.. I literally wanted to cry. I wanted revenge on Sephiroth for what he'd done. At the same time, I was completely sucked into the music, the animation clips, & everything.

This title, in my opinion, brought life back into this franchise. They made a fricken movie out of it, that I love too, by the way. They also involved several of the characters in fighting type games. So to say this title DIDN'T do something huge, for its franchise, would be greatly misunderstood.

Personally, the graphics (in my opinion) could've been better, but the overall game play was great. The controls were easy to figure out, & it wasn't complex to get a person ready for battle. It took time, regarding the materia adding process, but thats it.

Overall, this thread could basically be what you loved & hated from the Final Fantasy VII game itself, & it may still hit huge with everyone.

Now, while I loved VII.. my passion grew for that of VIII (8) & then died off with IX a little bit, why?! In my mind, VII & VIII had similar graphics, then IX ALMOST went back to the Super N.E.S. FF3 style graphics?! I didn't get it. IX was almost a step backwards, dispite that it was more they were trying to get in back into the fantasy realm, I think, then have it focused on what VII & VIII did.. which was similar real-life, type, things. I mean.. 7 was about a band of rebels, while 8 was about a group of kids from a school.

IX however, is NOT my worst game. I came to love IX for what it was, especially with the ability to name all your cast members. I hated 8 for that reason, that you couldn't name anyone except the main guy & girl. (And your aeons, or whatever they were then)

Final Fantasy X-2: I bought a PS2 solely to buy Final Fantasy X. I LOVED FFX, was never disappointed & when I heard they were making a sequel, first ever in its class.. (no FF game had ever had a sequel based on a previous game) I was way beyond excited for the release of this game. THEN, it was released & I swear..

I played it for a month straight, attempting to find anything good in it.. the control-system was completely complex & way past screwed up. The fact that the characters were ONLY that of the 3 girls, one of which wasn't even IN FFX.. it was horrible. It almost made me turn away. In fact, it did make me think twice before buying 12, which I JUST bought & have yet to play. (so here's hoping the bad taste of X-2 doesn't carry over)

So, thats my opinion on two of the titles.. who's next? Whats your favorite & worst game from the series? Do you have any stories regarding the storyline from any of the games? Anything funny that you remember, based off naming your characters & having their storyline interact with that of the real-life counterpart?

I voted for FFXII. I know many people will disagree with me, but I practically had no other choice since it is the only Final Fantasy I own lol. I played the first one around 13 years ago at my friend's house, but I never really got into it because I was young at the time and those games didn't appeal to me along with the SNES ones(I regret not getting one for the SNES because I heard some of them are great). I didn't own a Playstation 2 until last year(I needed a new wrestling game and GC gave up making them lol) so I couldn't really play 7-11, but I did get FFXII for my PS2 along with SvR 2007. I don't have a whole lot of experience with the FF games, but I thought this one was excellent, it kept me busy for three months straight, I had beaten three playthoughs so it had great replay value because not many games can pull me in for that long lol. I noticed a lot of people hated the story, but I thought it was fine, I am sure it was not the best in the FF franchise, but it was good IMO. Whenever I get a chance to stop into a gaming store, I might try to get FF10 since a lot of people said that game is very good, I think FF7 is the other one that people say is great as well, but I might have a harder time finding that one.

I was never as into FF as most of my friends were, but man I did love a couple of those games to death.

Final Fantasy VII was probably the first video game I ever really just got obsessed with and couldn't stop playing. The story was fantastic, and the game was great in every sense. Especially the world you were able to explore.

But my all time favorite was Final Fantasy X. Maybe not the best story ever (though I thought it was rather good for a video game) but this game just sucked me into it. I loved the battle system in this game, it was awesome, not to mention the graphics were revolutionary on the PS2. I still remember watching those cutscenes they had made specially and thinking "Am I watching a movie?"...thats how real it looked.

So I went with FFX, though 7 comes in very close to me.

Oh and who remembers the first Final Fantasy on Gameboy?! That game was so hard it was ridiculious!

Final Fantasy X-2: I bought a PS2 solely to buy Final Fantasy X. I LOVED FFX, was never disappointed & when I heard they were making a sequel, first ever in its class.. (no FF game had ever had a sequel based on a previous game) I was way beyond excited for the release of this game. THEN, it was released & I swear..

I played it for a month straight, attempting to find anything good in it.. the control-system was completely complex & way past screwed up. The fact that the characters were ONLY that of the 3 girls, one of which wasn't even IN FFX.. it was horrible. It almost made me turn away. In fact, it did make me think twice before buying 12, which I JUST bought & have yet to play. (so here's hoping the bad taste of X-2 doesn't carry over)

So, thats my opinion on two of the titles.. who's next? Whats your favorite & worst game from the series? Do you have any stories regarding the storyline from any of the games? Anything funny that you remember, based off naming your characters & having their storyline interact with that of the real-life counterpart?

Sir, you HAVE to play FFXII. X-2 is nothing like it, and the battle system is so smooth and catchy, you'll wonder why you haven't played it sooner. Excellent storyline (as only FF games can deliver,) new abilities and real time action...I won't ruin it. But FFXII is right there with VII for my favorites. I highly recommend you start playing ASAP. I can give ya tips when you start...but you have to start =)

Sir, you HAVE to play FFXII. X-2 is nothing like it, and the battle system is so smooth and catchy, you'll wonder why you haven't played it sooner. Excellent storyline (as only FF games can deliver,) new abilities and real time action...I won't ruin it. But FFXII is right there with VII for my favorites. I highly recommend you start playing ASAP. I can give ya tips when you start...but you have to start =)

One of the things I promised to do, that I'm actually gonna break the promise of. I always said I'd only play the next in line Final Fantasy game, once I beat the previous. Out of my friends, I was the very first to beat Final Fantasy VII. Then I moved onto VIII which took a bit longer than expected.

I never had IX until I got with my (now) Wife. So I had skipped it, & beaten FFX. (By the way, anyone who asks.. FFX was the EASIEST to beat, in my opinion - the last boss wasn't nearly as hard as some of the bosses before it)

So then I turned my sights to FFX-2, which I played (as I stated) for a solid month or so, & finally gave up. I couldn't take attempting to understand it, as it was horrible. Maybe someday I'll attempt giving it another chance.. but until then, it'll sit collecting dust.

Final Fantasy 12: As I said, I JUST bought the game. But I don't think I'll need help, as I normally buy the "cheat/guide" with all of them, but only use them if I get stuck, or once I beat them - then I go back through them & get everything I missed. FF12's book is HUGE, so I think it'll take me a lot longer than any previous game, to beat it. (Its amazing how big this game seems, & only on one disc. - Remember VII, VIII & even IX?! 3-4 discs!)

everything about final fantasy VII was perfect at the time it was made the cgi movies the character development the music the story everythin.

Although I did just accidentally vote for FFX2, FFX is my fave of all time. I own FFX and FFXII, as well as FFVII:DOC (great game, just not for Final Fantasy) I loved Final Fantasy X, i don't know why. My first one was 4, but I never played it, I just watched a friend play it for a week strait. I didn't know it was even a Finasl Fantasy game for almost 7 years.

Anyways, I played 8, and I loved it. Shortly after that, I played 7, but I only got just passed the first disk. Same with 9, just past the first disk. X was the first one that I beat, and I personally loved the story in it. All the stories in it, actually.

And for anyone that wants to play XII and hasn't yet, I reconemd it. It's quite different than the other ones in ALOT of ways, but it still has that Final Fantasy feel to it, as well as amazing graphics.

Finally, it your looking for somthing different, try FFVII: Durge of Cerberus. It's supposed to be a sequel to "Advent Children", but I see nothing in Common. You control Vincent Valentine in a First Person Shooter. Good story, all the charecters are mentioned, great game to try.

This is the easiest poll answer i have answered

The answer for me is

Final Fantasy VII

This was one of the first ones i got on the PSX and only bought it because the official magazine gave it a ten. I had never played an RPG before and the whole experience was almost life changing. This game had me hooked for 70+ hours on the first play through and i finished it at least 3 more times before i moved out of home and lost it. :-( The storyline was and still is the greatest story i have ever experienced, you had no choice but to get totally engrossed into the characters and their lives.

TheBigOneWill you said you literally wanted to cry when Aeris died well I actually did, I mean you spend over 30 hours developing the character and finding out her story, watching the romance bloom between her and Cloud and then you enter the forgotten city and see her praying and well you know the rest. Simply a friggin curveball i never saw coming and left you wanting brutal bloody revenge on Sephiroth. Biggest moment of the game and it is my choice for greatest videogame i have ever played.

FFVIII was also extremely well done, fan-bloody-tastic story, a loner who has to come to learn to depend on others and eventually open his heart to others. IMO at its very core it is a love story and the lengths one will go to help the one they love. Best ending of the series, it ties up all threads and leaves the player feeling like that the characters will survive and grow and continue to have this amazing adventure

I didnt really enjoy IX though, i just didnt get into it at all i didnt like the graphics, the setting, the characters, the story. My characters were all so weak, to me the story was confusing and very choppy. There was no 'real' bad guy i just didnt enjoy it at all.

I enjoyed X, X2 and XII and just getting back into X, trying to level up and beat the dark aeons.
BEST - WORST
VII, VIII, X2, X, XII, IX

(Never had a NES or SNES so cant rank the first ones)

It has to be Final Fantasy 7. That one game revolutionised the gaming industry. Great cut scenes, brilliant soundtrack, hour after hour of "fluff", such as Chocobo racing/breeding, materia hunting, ultimate weapon searching, the funpark, I could go on and on.

The storyline was brilliant, although can be confusing at times. The ultimate bad guy, Sephiroth, who became more popular than Cloud. The comedy of Red XII and the cat/fatman combo(cant remember the name)

Finally fantays 10 has come the cloest to meeting the brilliance of 7, it just lacked serious playtime, I had it completed in a few days :(

Final Fantasy 8 was also a good title. Different way of doing things the Final Fantasy way(such as drawing magic from your enemy) and a good storyline made this very enjoyable for me. The gaurdian aeons were a good addition, though there ability to be your "tank" kinda made the game easy. The card minigame was addicted as hell too

Final Fantasy 7 and 9 were two of my fav FF games. FFX i never really liked because the characters were so gay. So i gave it a try and really got into the characters and it was amazing. Edging in to be my favourtie FF game of all time.

FFX also managed to be my favourite game of all time. Which was a great expericene for me.

I love X. I love the extra stuff you can do once you reach 'the end' The extra aeons and the CW Weapons plus the monster arena and farming monsters for spheres.

Also i love the story. The voiceacting is a bit meh, but the graphics are truly amazing.

Seperoth was a pretty good bad guy, the story/plot was excellent, moves were good the only whole it had was that near the end of disk one Cloud's "love" gets slashed like she was XFL stock......so much for the perfect ending.

Final Fantasy VII is easily the best of the series. When I bought my Playstation back in 1997, Final Fantasy VII was the game I bought with it. Everything is prefect in this game. The graphics were good at the time (not anymore, but technology has advanced by leaps and bounds since then), the storyline was excellent, and the characters were fun. I have to say that FFVII is my favorite game of all time. I've beaten it AT LEAST 30 times, and still play it. And I have the whole game memorized. I'm pretty much a walking FFVII Walkthrough.

I also loved VIII, X, and XII. IX was okay, but I couldn't really get into it with the cheesy animation and the Meg Ryan looking main character (Zidane I think it was). And X-2 is a heaping pile of shit. All in all, VII is my favorite, and will always be my favorite.

God damn I am so sick and tired about hearing about that ******ed %^$#ing game. Final Fantasy 7 sucked. It god damn sucked. NOBODY LIKES MILHOUSE! This has to be, beyond the shadow of any doubt, the single most over-rated video game in the history of EVER. Yes, ever. For lots of reasons. This game spit on, pissed all over, and then threw away just about everything that made Final Fantasy a good series.

The game didn't improve anything. Not one thing. There is not one solid feature of Final Fantasy 7 that was an improvement over the previous 6. Its innovation was shit. And the stone cold truth is that well over half of the Final Fantasy 7 fanboy player base is from people that never played anything before it. Is 7 better than 8 through 10-2? Probably. But there were 6 that came before it, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM WAS BETTER.

Jesus, where do I start? The androgynous stereotypical villain, who exemplars everything you've come to accept from limp haired pasty white Asian antagonists? Sephiroth is not cool. He's a whiny bitch with a Mommy complex, thinly covered by overpowered spellcasting ability and a sword that looks like an absurd katana.

Cloud? A spikey haired hero in a Japanese setting. Thrilling. Do these come off an assembly line? Barret... the token black guy so we can look trendy?

Not to mention the game had the absolute worst magic system ever. EVER! Who came up with the idea of having hunks of fucking ugly rocks that learn magic. But wait, they aren't the remains of fallen spirits that teach you Magic. No, that would be Espers from FF 3 (6). And those were cool and integral to the plot. No, its a fucking rock. That you can trade. Your characters never learn one god damned spell. Its just pass the joint - with rocks.

This game was Final Fantasy goes Anime, and it has a huge following of people that call themselves FF fans that are really just Anime fans. I'll dust off the original Final Fantasy on my NES long before I play this peice of garbage ever again.

Well my inability with roman numerals has caused me to vote for Seven when I should have clicked other to represent the only gem in the series... Final Fantasy Six.

With regards to the series; you could genetically fuse Osama Bin Laden, Michael Winner and The Grand Wizard of the KKK; then bring your monstrous creation over to England and have it rape and murder my mother... and I still probably wouldn't hold it in as much contempt as I do the Final Fantasy series.

In fairness; some of the earlier games were not bad , 1-3 were nothing worth getting excited about, but generally inoffensive. FF5 had potential, but was rather killed by poor translation of already weak dialogue. 6 was a masterpiece, and I'll expand on that later.

7 and each game after it was were the series began to die. You see, 7 achieved such recognition that the console RPG market became inexorably linked with the final fantasy series. Other developers see the success of the Final Fantasy games (which have no requirement to be good any more, people buy them just because of the name), assume that that is what people want, and begin to tailor their own games around those lines. Just look at how many otherwise inoffensive RPGs (DDS for an example off the top of my head) have stated implementing sphere grid rip offs since FF10, despite the fact that anyone with any sense could tell that the sphere grid was a waste of time.

Now other console RPG companies structuring their work around Final Fantasy would not inherently be bad, were it not for the crux of my Final Fantasy loathing. Square, or more specify SquareEnix, ever since 6, have been tailoring there games more and more towards stupid people. One of the symptoms of this is a difficulty curve which would be unlikely to trouble a 94 year old grandmother in a hand powered wheelchair. Another is a plot with about as much room to introspection, and as many twists and turns, and one would find in... say... The Winnie the Pooh novels.

Unlike the Winnie the Pooh novels however; another way in which the modern Final Fantasy series endeavors to appeal to captain thicko is by cheapening the writing to a quality fit only for Christmas cracker jokes. The dialogue is the primary suffer of this, all of the characters sound ridicules and contrived, and the convocations sound like they were written by someone who's spend there entire life locked in a basement in Austria (that’s the third time this week I've made off color jokes about that, I'm starting to worry myself) and has never had the benefit of human contact.

Now; when I come out on the internet, the biggest hot haven of Final Fantasy love and adoration, I tend to triggered a great deal of ballistic shit in my direction; so I'll swiftly throw out my metaphorical bile umbrella and say that there are some things the series does quite well. Admittedly with each passing iteration the number of these things gets smaller and smaller and Enix seeks to reduce the RPG market to the level where games can be based out by the average hobo and still make the cut, but there are some small gemstones in the crackerjack box of monotony left, and I'll be sure to mention them as I run the games down to try and convince you people than I'm not some kind of intellectually snobbish (true) Final Fantasy fascist (false).

Final Fantasy VI.

Final Fantasy 6 is a sad but clear example (almost as good a one as FF10, but for different reasons) that the vast majority of the games buying population care about style about a million times more than they do about quality. 6 was the last final fantasy which managed to retain some sense of difficulty; it was the only final fantasy to offer legitimate open ended game play. It was the only final fantasy that managed to create multiple characters which I gave a shit about. It was also longer, better balanced, better written and had had a much bigger world with far more side quests that any of the games to come after it. Last but defiantly not least, it was the only Final Fantasy game EVER to introduce some semblance of character customization.

Yet, despite out performing the "RPG of RPGs" is virtually every area, Final Fantasy 6 is generally overlooked even by fans of the series and everyone seems to be under the foolhardy illusion that the franchise began with 7. The reason for this... the only reason, is that Final Fantasy 7 has attractive 3D graphics with explosions and cut scenes, which 6 was built what is essentially the RM2K3 engine. Fundamental proof that gamers value style over quality, information which Square had firmly in mind when they released,

Final Fantasy VII

Commonly awarded title such as "Greatest game of all time" FF7 is one that I content myself with titling "Most overrated RPG ever (I would have said game in general, but then God of War came out)" and leave it at that. Most of my distain for it stems from it being the first step in the destruction of the franchise (and console RPG market with it). Hatred put aside for a few minuets FF7 is by no means bad, it's just not as good as people (Most of whom I would expect have little RPG experience outside of the Final Fantasy series) seem to think it is.

The Plot: OK
The Game play: OK
The Writing: OK
The Difficulty: Near non existent, attempts to produce challenging boss fights fail (1 character Proud Clod is the only legitimately difficult fight.)
The Depth: Good.

So what is gains in length is looses in total lack of challenge. I personally didn't like the way they peppered it with mini games, but that’s a minor matter of preference. 7 was everything an RPG should be and nothing more, but because of a convenient release time and an ability to middle out on such areas as 'intelligent story' or 'empatatic characters' to appeal to a large audience it somehow found its self with the reputation of being the kind of game Jesus would produce if he had taken game design as his major instead of woodwork. And square's next foray into the RPG market can best be descried to the causal player as "let’s be like FF7 but with better graphics". Incidentally this was the entire logic which brought 7 into being, and much like in the creation of FF7, the logic fails entirely, leading to the creation of the abomination that was,

Final Fantasy VIII

Oh gods, the horror. Right, as far as difficulty goes, if you died once in final fantasy 8 in a battle that wasn't to those giant dinosaurs at the beginning, to one of the option 'luck bosses' at the end, or during that stupid section where you have to suddenly edge yourself across a beam with no warning than you are a fucking moron. ... (No offence).

The miserable excuse for a materia engine meant that, by the half way point of disk one, Squall should be hitting 100% death on every non boss enemy he faces (an advantage which doesn't begin to fade until 2 disks later), and by the time that stops working you should have the bulk of your parties stats comprising of nothing by 9's. (Oh, and 255 for accuracy). Final Fantasy 8 is so mind numbingly easy that I think I can say with absolute certainty that the card game (which I will admit to enjoying, although less so that the one in 9) is the most challenging aspect. FF8 seemed to think that the ideal length for a boss fight was about 2 rounds (one if you pulled Squall, Selphie or Zell's limit break. And once you work out the finer points of the junction system (which will take an able minded body about 20 minuets) the game turns into nothing more than an interactive story... which would be fine if the story was good, but it isn't. All of the characters are completely unbelievable and seem to undergo personality transplants from scene to scene, and there style of speech and way of reacting to one another never stays constant for 20 minuets at a time. Finally, add a complete removal of puzzles and side quests and you've got an RPG so bad that it actually manages to make its next edition look good. The next edition of course being the similarly bad (but less so and for different reasons),

Final Fantasy IX

Even if I plunder the very depths of my benevolent soul, the nicest thing I can find to say about Final Fantasy 9 is that it is, overall, better than 8. It was the first game since 6 to seriously distinguish between characters in battle, which I liked even if it did mean automatically using Zidane, Garnet and Vivi and Queena if you wanted the best out of your party (Balance if important Square; giving Salamander “Throw” does not put him on a par with Garnet’s Eidons or Queena’s ‘Big Guard’ and ‘Frog Drop’) Overall the difficulty and depth of the game have been wound up, mostly at the expense of the plot which contains more holes than a block of Swiss cheese which has been attacked with a Gatling gun, and of the characters, who, Garnet excluded (Best Final Fantasy female ever; including Terra), are all totally one dimensional, frequently lacking in motivation and… in the grand scheme of things, possessing a depth roughly equivocal to that of an empty bathtub.
9 was an improvement on 8, but only in the same way that having your throat cut is an improvement on being flayed alive. Overall, a non consequential blip on the radar of the franchise, and interestly enough, the last Final Fantasy game not I was able to play though to the finish, since the next installment was an international atrocity which made Final Fantasy 8 look like indisputable game of the year.

Final Fantasy X

I thin before I physically rip the entrails out of FFX I would e well served to give a little bit of back-story regarding myself, and my distaste for the series.
I am an intellectual snob. I’m also a writer (as a side note I’ll add that I force myself to write a few thousand words every day, which is the only reason this review is so bloody long). Any story driven game which fails to measure up to the level of… pulp teen literature, I will almost instantly write off as deliberately trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator, classify as a game for stupid people and dislike on principle. Therefore, the massive bashing I’ve done of Final Fantasy’s 7 through to 9 is not, strictly speaking, very objective. There are a lot of people who enjoy those games a great deal, and in my kinder moments I will happily admit tat this enjoyment is a matter of preference and perfectly valid.

What I will not admit however is that anybody with at least a dozen fully functioning brain cells can possibly classify Final Fantasy 10 as being anything more that a colossal (Actually not colossal since the game is criminally short) pile of putrid elephant shit.

I compared 8 to an interactive story to emphasize its lack of difficulty, and given that I’ve already used that metaphor once, I’m forced to dig the very depths of the games market to convey exactly how challenging Final Fantasy 10 isn’t.

Disney, in their infinite wisdom, once released a game involving Mickey Mouse and a broken mirror, and one of the interesting featured of the game was that, if you left the controller dormant for a few minuets, Mickey would actually start automatically completing the game on his own initiative. Final Fantasy 10 is one, very small, step above that game.

Basically I can summaries the game is one paragraph. Walk down a corridor; fight a battle, watch a poorly written and voiced cut scene, repeat. That it. Seriously, look at that map (which conveniently tells you exactly where to go next the entire time so the poor players don’t have to risk using their brain) every single area, be it a town, a forest or a mountain range, is basically a twisting corridor that you run down. This, coupled with the fact that the game offers no challenge, about 4 puzzles, next to no sub quests leave you with a game that is literally nothing more than a sequence of cut scenes. To get an experience of what playing FF10 is like, go and buy that truly terrible Final Fantasy movie that got made (There’s going to be some idiot on here who thought advent children was good, so I’ll limit my example to the first terribly Final Fantasy movie). Put the DVD in; and every time the scene changes, hit the pause button, sit starting at the TV for half an hour fiddling with the remote and possibly punch yourself in the face a couple of times.

Congratulations, you’ve just played Final Fantasy 10.

The story is just about the most clinically ******ed game plotline I’ve ever come across, including Mario Sunshine. The charisma absorbing twat you are forced to play with gets randomly sucked into an alternate universe, panics for about 15 seconds and then starts acting as everything is totally normal and this is a daily occurrence. No grief for the thousands lost, no introspection or questioning his own sanity, just a shrug of the shoulders and a miraculous ability to wield a sword which he never questions. This is just one minor aspect of the plot which gets classified as “fucking stupid”, if you want to see a much bigger example I suggest you look at… … … every since aspect of the plat that I haven’t already mentioned. The entire thing manages to make the average TNA broadcast look like a Shakespearian thesis on the glory of plot continuity. Every character but Lulu made be want to reach through the screen and snap there necks for being so obnoxiously one dimensional, and the entirety of the dialogue is roughly equivocal to a convocation with the ALICE artificial engine (google it, it’s fun).

I could probably go on all day with this, but I’m already over 10,000 characters and have probably managed to make an enemy for life of every Final Fantasy fan out there (I don’t really think you’re all fucking stupid, just misguided :p) and I think it’s best to draw this tirade to a close.

I didn’t play enough of the games which came after 10 to give an informed opinion, I played enough to confirm to myself that they were equally as bad, if not worse, than 10, and gave up on them then and there.

Thanks for reading; hope I managed to draw a couple of smiles whilst I was attacking all you your intelligence as human beings.

Literary criticism of a game that was written for the Japanese Audience by someone with a deffinate English language bias. Direct Translations are always going to be a Bitch. I Like 7 the story flows well it intrigues and brings you in. I like it, the games system is good, while there isn't that much in terms of differentiation between the characters and the traditional classes, it works for the story better than having individual classes. It is amazing looking at the criticism of Sephiroth, who gives a flying fuck if he is Androgynous looking, has a fucking huge Katana and has mummy-Issues, he is trying to bring about the end of the world, it fits in with the overall history of Japanese sci-fi culture, there is a post-apocalyptic vibe about it that works, similar to how Akira works in terms of Anime. There is nothing wrong with Advent Children it is a movie set after FF7. It is also strongly based on traditional Japanese values, so going in with Gaijin theories on Good Writing is stupid, I will give that the movie Final fantasy sucked ass.

As for 10 I get the feeling that for the most part they were using it to test out the emotion system in the PS2 rather than to come out with a great game. they won't have to worry about that system anymore with PS3 so eh.

No What I said was you are looking at it from a truely biased form. I never said anything about the other games I just find what was said overly harsh, and overly biased against a good game based on the translations effectively.

No What I said was you are looking at it from a truely biased form. I never said anything about the other games I just find what was said overly harsh, and overly biased against a good game based on the translations effectively.

It was harsh. It was meant to be harsh. Because that game was a harsh insult to people that grew up enjoying a video game series that followed a series of very enjoyable trends and themes.

7 came along and utterly destroyed the entire series. Every single thing good about Final Fantasy 1-6 was removed in 7. And almost everything it was replaced with was garbage. Almost everything people claim to enjoy about 7 is directly related to anime based themes, and it is often compared to anime, as you yourself did. Which means that a lot of people who are huge fans of 7 are being drawn on from an anime fanbase, not a Final Fantasy fanbase. Most people who love 7 can cite names of at least 3 anime films or series', some that never even got translated into English. They are welcome to watch what they want, but 7 isn't a great addition to a great legacy. It was the death of a great legacy and it started a new one. A new succesful one, but you cannot even begin to compare 7-12 to the first 6. And many, MANY people haven't even played the first game. 1-6 spanned over 10 years of gaming that many of us have not forgotten. I've heard a lot of personal experiences saying something along the lines of "I love Final Fantasy 7! It was the first game I ever played!". Some of us were video gamers long before anyone even thought of the first Playstation.

Oh good; it's back on over here.

Personally, as; if not the king, then certainly a prominent earl in the court of 'being angry about final fantasy 7', I could give half a flying hoot about them bringing in themes from Japanese culture; or anima; or whatever. Personally I'd rather not see androgynous males talking to women who look better suited for soliciting sex than for combat (And don't tell me the later is part of Japanese culture; it's part of 11 year old boy culture, which is the demographic square now aims its games for), but I'm not going to make a big thing about it.

My objections stem from the fact that, in comparison to earlier editions, final fantasy 7 is shamelessly dumbed down to appeal to less intelligent gamers. I'll concede that translation from Japanese to English isn't easy, but it's never stopped JRPGs such as... oh... 'Persona 3' or 'The World Ends With You' (And that’s just two from this year) from having some of the most impressive dialogue and thought evoking plots ever to grace the western market. Possibly using a Shin Megami Tensi game as an argument against Final Fantasy is a bit counter productive; since they're another company that's bulldozed the difficulty curve in recent years, but at least they weren’t desecrating a pre existing franchise.

Overall, although I'm more long winded about it, I don't think I share ESW's passion regarding the series. Final Fantasy 7 through to whateverthehell are rubbish; but they're rubbish and successful. If God of War has taught us anything it is that dumbing you game down to a level that appeals to the average washcloth produces record sales; and judging by the marketing trends in recent years it's beginning to become apparent that the bulk of gamers don't want quality storytelling or games that my unborn little sister couldn’t complete; people simply want shiny graphics and to feel like they're good at something, which is essentially what final fantasy is all about.

Really I only get cross when ignorant people start throwing phrases like “best RPG ever” around without taking the time to sample the market. Liking the games is fine (apart from 10, if you like 10 then you need sectioning), just like it’s perfectly OK to enjoy watching James Bond movies. Just don’t try to tell people that your preference is better than a higher art form such as… French Cinema; because it’s not.

Of course you can't compare Final Fantasy 7 -12 to 1-6, 7-12 are a part of modern pop culture and sell out because of changing the gaming system. Seven is the most popular of the series because it is the best of the series.

People want to throw in the anime argument, personally, I hate anime. Anime is garbage in my opinion. Dune is more of an influence on Final Fantasy 7 then anything I have ever seen.

How was the game dumb downed? In what way was it dumbed down. The only thing they did was not make the game ridiculously hard to beat, a trend that made RPG's almost unplayable except to the guys that fit the stereotype of sitting in the basement all weekend playing Dungeon's and Dragons.

It's just bashing for the sake of bashing in my opinion. Somethings popular, therefore it can't be good. Final Fantasy 7 came out and changed RPG's for the better. It brought RPG's into the mainstream, and obviously it did something right, because it's the best selling game of the series. I figured it wouldn't be too long before the "Real" Final Fantasy fans came in here to set everyone "straight" about how terrible a game seven was. The old addage in sports is, Score Board, and 9 Million people can't be wrong.

I rather think I've covered why I think the game is dumbed down; but to reiterate; for a start, all the strategy has been removed from the combat. There is a difference between making a game "ridiculously hard to beat", and simply preventing your game turning into an interactive movie.

I'll use 7 as an example since it's the game I'm the most familiar with. How many boss battle,s or battles in general, retain a semblance of strategy. With the exception of Emerald Weapon (Which is ruined be the outcome being totally dependent on luck), Ruby Weapon and Battle Arena Proud Clod; not one fight in the entire game require the player to think about, or modify their strategy in the slightest. Every monster it beaten by tapping attack; pausing occasionally to heal yourself. If you have a high enough level you will win; if you don't, you'll loose. Actually, I'll retract that; hop-car and heli-gunner are a good fight; infact, most of the game up until the world map is solid; it just goes to pot once you run into your first chocobo.

Other ways the game has been dumbed down are (and I know I parrot on about this) a reduction in writing quality which bring the game close to cereal box levels. I don't want to give 7 too much flak for this because at least it tries (and as I keep saying; 7's not horrible, it's just all the trends which annoy me begin with 7), but the rest of the games actually make me cringe at times with there atrocious dialogue.

I object to the claim that it's bashing for the sake of bashing. Attacks on something simply because it's popular don't generally come supplied with logical reasoning, and I like to feel I've provided that. The game does get some heat from the 'cool alternative crowd' for being mass market-whatever; which is just people being difficult; but my opinion aligning with theirs doesn't make me one of them any more than your liking for the game makes you a screaming fanboy.

Something being popular doesn't serve as an inherent reason to attack it; but I will say this. Mainstream appeal only means that something is successful, not that it's good.
This year Katie Price (a page three newspaper model who makes a living appearing in gossip magazines) recently wrote (or paid someone else to write) a book. In terms of sale figures, her book outsold the entire Booker Prize list (probably the biggest literary prize in the world) put together by quite a considerable margin. If we remove Ian McEwen’s Atonement from the list; the former porn stars journey into the world of words outsold what are arguably the five best novels of the year by something like 1000%.

Does this mean that her novel is superior? Did it take literature to a new and better place?
No. It was a pile of dross which sold on name value alone. Hell; every cheep Disney cash in sells a distressing number of copies; but you wouldn't plaster them up as changing the plat forming genera for the better just because they appeal to a younger, more easily manipulated audience.

Essentially though; our objections all stem from having lost out genera. I didn't want to throw words like "intellectuals" around because it makes me sound like a dick and will piss everybody off; but RPG's used to be a category of games for people who required a challenge beyond "push X to win" (another God of War dig there; man I'm bitter about that getting game of the year) for those who appreciated storytelling ahead of graphics. Those who are generally regarded as being stuck up these days because we don't get enjoyment out of 16 player Halo. These days 90% of the genera offers a lot of style and no substance (leaving me with my TBS's and occasional adventure game), and this change in values is best represented by...

Final Fantasy 7 (see, I wasn't just rambling)

Of course you can't compare Final Fantasy 7 -12 to 1-6, 7-12 are a part of modern pop culture and sell out because of changing the gaming system. Seven is the most popular of the series because it is the best of the series.

No, no, no. A thousand times no. I have still yet to hear a single argument in favor of 7 producing anything new and enjoyable to the series that could make such an outrageous claim other than sales and graphics. As for sales, it sold well because video games themselves become more popular with that generation of video game platforms, including the Playstation and the N64. Aa for graphics, how could it not be better? You were leaving 8 and 16 bit platforms. Improved graphics are a GIVEN.

People want to throw in the anime argument, personally, I hate anime. Anime is garbage in my opinion. Dune is more of an influence on Final Fantasy 7 then anything I have ever seen.

:headscratch:

How was the game dumb downed? In what way was it dumbed down. The only thing they did was not make the game ridiculously hard to beat

Leveling up beyond the difficulty level of a boss does not require skill. Its mindless grinding that anyone can do. I can take you back to Chrono Trigger and show you 10 times more strategy than Final Fantasy 7.

a trend that made RPG's almost unplayable except to the guys that fit the stereotype of sitting in the basement all weekend playing Dungeon's and Dragons.

This is a redundant statement. You do realize that Dungeons and Dragons IS an RPG, and is in fact the first RPG that did not come out in a prepackaged box set. It paved the way for future games to exist. Linking them together is natural and obvious. Do the Knights Of The Old Republic fanboys not realize that the entire game is a modified variant of the D&D 3.5 rules?

It's just bashing for the sake of bashing in my opinion. Somethings popular, therefore it can't be good. Final Fantasy 7 came out and changed RPG's for the better.

How?

It brought RPG's into the mainstream, and obviously it did something right, because it's the best selling game of the series.

It didn't bring RPG's into mainstream anymore than any other game. It was just a primary title for the Playstation. If you look back, Final Fantasy games have been major forerunners on every platform they touched previously. Stores sold out of copies of Final Fantasy 1 even after the NES was discontinued.

I figured it wouldn't be too long before the "Real" Final Fantasy fans came in here to set everyone "straight" about how terrible a game seven was.

Yup.

The old addage in sports is, Score Board, and 9 Million people can't be wrong.

Oh yes they can. Unless you think that getting more people together makes you more right. Spanish Inquisition? Holocaust advocates? Mongol Hordes? It just means you are capable of creating a moving nexus of stupidity and/or ignorance.

No, no, no. A thousand times no. I have still yet to hear a single argument in favor of 7 producing anything new and enjoyable to the series that could make such an outrageous claim other than sales and graphics. As for sales, it sold well because video games themselves become more popular with that generation of video game platforms, including the Playstation and the N64. Aa for graphics, how could it not be better? You were leaving 8 and 16 bit platforms. Improved graphics are a GIVEN.

This game took the series out of an archaic, boring and repetitive type of game and story. Characters with pre assigned classes, usually in a semi-middle age time period with some quasi modern technology thrown in. Instead of following that mold, it broke the mold, modernized the genre and said, hey, you can make a pretty damn good rpg game that doesn't fit the mold of the stereotypical high fantasy end of the spectrum, we can make it a modern story, and get in touch with a bigger fan base that the story can relate too.

There is only one true spell caster in the game, so therefore, you can pretty much use the materia to grow and use for that character whatever way you want. So what if the Materia is what held the magical power. I have no problem with the rock being able to learn abilities then an actual human being using fire from his hand. It was different, and it worked. The linking of Materia is one of the funnest systems I have played.

As for total sales, sure that generation game sales began to sky rocket, but your also forgetting that outside of Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy 7 was the #2 selling playstation game ever. That encompasses a ton of games. Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, all games of that generation, that are looking up a million place unit solds to Final Fantasy 7. No game on either of the XBox consoles have come close since, and only the Grand Theft Auto and Gran Turismo games for the PS2 have sold more units since Final Fantasy 7. That speaks volumes, considering the amount of games taht have come out since then.

As far as Dune, if you haven't read it, I won't go into it because I won't do it justice. Pretty much the Mako/Lifestream is a dead ringer for the Spice, and spice addiction, which is controlled by one conglomerate, but the universe runs on it. If you've read Dune, you'll see the influence. Plus that's just one influence. Aerith is a semi-Christ like figure as well, a young innocent giving up her life for the betterment of the world.

Leveling up beyond the difficulty level of a boss does not require skill. Its mindless grinding that anyone can do. I can take you back to Chrono Trigger and show you 10 times more strategy than Final Fantasy 7.

But you're talking as a seasoned RPG'er. Most people aren't going to have the patience to do that. Final Fantasy 7 wanting to expand to a bigger audience instead of the typical hardcore rpg'er, and it worked, to the tune of 9.8 million unit solds. Sure, it's a cake walk for a veteran, but it was a perfect game for an average player that wanted to spend 25-35 hours invested in a game. Hey, if you're willing to play the game for 75 hours to level up to 99, that's your choice.

This is a redundant statement. You do realize that Dungeons and Dragons IS an RPG, and is in fact the first RPG that did not come out in a prepackaged box set. It paved the way for future games to exist. Linking them together is natural and obvious. Do the Knights Of The Old Republic fanboys not realize that the entire game is a modified variant of the D&D 3.5 rules?

I think you missed my point. It was that RPGers before FF7 came out were seen as the nerds that sat in their parents basement while the cool kids were getting drunk and arrested on the weekends. D&D is important like you've said to the overall genre. I'm not a fan, but appreciate the ground work that was laid.

It didn't bring RPG's into mainstream anymore than any other game. It was just a primary title for the Playstation. If you look back, Final Fantasy games have been major forerunners on every platform they touched previously. Stores sold out of copies of Final Fantasy 1 even after the NES was discontinued.

True, but not to the tune of what has happened for the genre since FF7 hit the shelves. I think the best selling final fantasy before 7 was FF6 with 2.5 million sold (probably more then that when all the versions are accounted for). That is impressive, but nearly 7.5 million less then what Final Fantasy 7 sold.

The residual effect of what Final Fantasy 7 did for the franchise is phenomenal. Since it's release, the weakest selling semi main franchise game was X-2, with 3 million copies, but actual main games, the lowest selling has been 5.4 million with X2. The name Final Fantasy sells because Final Fantasy 7 kicked down the door for the franchise. Was it popular before, yes, but no where near as popular as it is now. Final Fantasy 7 has helped make the Final Fantasy Franchise one of the best selling in history.

Oh yes they can. Unless you think that getting more people together makes you more right. Spanish Inquisition? Holocaust advocates? Mongol Hordes? It just means you are capable of creating a moving nexus of stupidity and/or ignorance.

Now now, no need to compare video gamers to mass murderers. So all of a sudden the kids that demand Nintendogs for christmas are on the same level as Adolf Hitler? It's a choice, and people have a choice. A bunch of people a long time ago decided that hey, I'm going to throw down 50 bucks for a 3 disc game that's going to suck up the next month of my life. The game obviously spoke to a lot of people, and it still is talked about to this day. It is the best of the series, and it is one of the best games of all time. Enough people think that they still vote Sephiroth as one of the best villians of all times, they suck up anything and everything related to the game, and they are waiting for a remake of it. That's powerful stuff, if you choose to not go along with it, that's fine, but you can't deny the impact of the game.

After reading this argument, i deicded to crack open my copy of ff7 for the first time in years. It STILL grabs you in, even though I have completed it several times before.

It has just so much to do within the game, from chocobo racing/breeding to the addictive games at the Golden Saucer. Sepiroth is still the badd ass boss from any game, period. The soundtrack and visual effects are slightly dated now, they still look impressive if you forget that it is almost 12 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back