Final Battle 2012 Preview/Predictions

Papa Pillman

I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan
This Sunday afternoon Ring of Honor presents Final Battle 2012 "Doomsday" from the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC.

Hopefully this card manages to capitolize on the momentum that was built with GBH XI, which was the best American wrestling PPV of 2012 so far. Either way it should be guarunteed to give us the best wrestling PPV of the weekend.

Here's a look at the final card with some predictions.

WGTT v. Rhett Titus/BJ Whitmer in an NYC street fight

This is my pick to open the card. I know it doesn't fit the typical opener formula for an ROH PPV, but I think given that it is sure to atleast deliver a good amount of brutality to get the crowd warmed up and also considering that I think they will want to leave as much time as possible between this and the main event which will will also be a violent and bloody offering, I see them running this out first. I think the "BJ Express" clearly gets the win here and we an hopefully get this feud over with and mybe see WGTT out of ROH altogether soon, as their act has grown stale and disinterested, with Shelton especially becoming the laziest and most pointless member of the roster.

Jay Lethal v. Rhino

This can't be booked as anything other than a dominant winning performance for Lethal, or a quick brutal DQ of lethal after a violent and crazed attack on Rhino. Those seem like the only logical scenarios to continue his current angle. Rhino is another guy who, like WGTT, should soon be finding his way following Cornette out the backdoor.

Prince Nana v. "Barrister" RD Evans

This is an awesome guilty pleasure affair as the storyline has been done very well and the comedy should be riotess. The other thing that helps sell this match is that both men are solid and experienced wrestlers, so this won't be your typical manager against manager match, it will at times have more of a real wrestling match element. Both guys are hillarious in their roles and this should help to break up the rest of the night's violent and intense feel quite nicely. I expect Marshall to get involved on Evans' behalf and steal a win, and hopefully a suprise Ciampa run-in to close things off as well(the guy has been rehabbing inhumanly quickly and looks like a beast in the videos he has posted of his progress).

Jerry Lynn v. "The Prodigy" Mike Bennett

This is Lynn's(a former ROH world champ) final match with the company, as we close in quickly on his retirement show. Ironically, if the rumors are true, it could also be a farewell match of sorts for Bennett. Hopefully Lynn can carry Bennett to a nice match here that lets both look strong on their way out. It would be travesty for Lynn to have put Bennett over in this one, seeing as ROH likley wouldn't benefit from the rub with Benett seemingly having one foot already toeing the NXT waters. ROH should give Jerry his successful swan song in this one, and I think that Delirious is smart enough to see it that way as well.

The American Wolves v. Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly

I dig the element of uncertainty in the booking here with Eddie not scheduled to return from his NOAH tour until Saturday and there being no kayfabe confirmation of his willingness to reform his brotherhood with Davey. Also the Davey/Kyle storyline finally starts to get payoff in the form of a sanctioned match. This will definitely not be for the haters(WAY too many of them around here) of the strike-heavy MMA influenced style, as this match will probably offer that in heavy doses. For my money, this one has show-stealing potential scribbled all over every aspect. I think that O'Reilly and Fish will manage to steal a victory to keep this program going, but I hope that is not accompanied by any swerve that sees Eddie turn on Davey, as the tag division desperately needs the Wolves, not to mention the O'Reilly/Fish pairing.

Roderick Strong v. "Unbreakable" Micheal Elgin

"The fall of the house of truth" as its being billed is an absolute monster of a match on paper. ROH could probably be criticized for stretching this out as long as they have, but overall the storytelling building to this one has been excellent. Truth Martini is a lock to be involved here somehow, and hopefully he takes a bump the likes of the one Rhino delivered at GBH. Either way I hope no swerve occurs that sees either man maintain his relationship with the HoT. I see Elgin capping off the true breakout year in all of pro wrestling by shutting up Roddy after a near classic showdown.

TV Champion Adam Cole v. Matt Hardy

Perhaps the biggest travesty on this card is that this match has to exist, and cause Cole's talent to be so wasted. This is the hopefully the final lingering holdover of awfullness from the Cornette era. I have no doubt that if Delirious saw anyway to get out of this situation we would never be seeing this match. As it is, he is backed into a corner and has no choice but to book this ridiculousness. Anything short of Cole going over cleanly and decisively in this encounter would be amongst the worst booking in the company's history(yes even worse than all of Cornette's decisions). I don't see how beating Hardy gets Cole any kind of real rub, but atleast people know Hardy's name, even if it is mostly for infamous reasons lately. As long as this is the only match that Hardy wrestles in his second stint with the company, then I suppose we can all grin and bare it. Having said all of that, Hardy did have a solid match with Roderick years ago in ROH, and his recent Indy work hasn't been too bad, so this could pleasantly suprise and end up as a watchable match atleast able to out-do the horribly low expectations of the fanbase.

World Tag Team Title Match
S.C.U.M. Steve Corino and Jimmy Jacobs v. The Briscoes v. Caprice Coleman and Cedric Alexander

This match will be competed under "sudden death" rules, meaning that if either member of SCUM can defeat any of the challengers they will retain their belts, while Dem Boys and C&C need to either pin Corino or Jacobs to end the match and take the straps. This could be a delightful little clusterfuck of an affair, and I anticipate alot of ringside brawling. This should also lead to a good story of SCUM at some point managing to get out of the way and let the challengers really turn their attentions on each other. The only thing I can't see happening here is the Briscoes regaining their gold. I think it is time for C&C to get a title run, and ultimately I think they may here, but this could also prove to be SCUM's night across the board.

World Championship Match - Ladder War IV
"Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen v. El Generico

This is the payoff match to the most well developed, well concieved, well booked and consistenty strong feud in all of professional wrestling in the last decade plus. If you don't know the backstory, feel ashamed and go catch up. As for the match I'm going to go out on a limb of hyperbole- I anticipate this will be the most violent Ladder War in ROH history and I also expect it will outshine their Final Battle 2010 encounter from and standpoint of both violence and quality. This may also surpass the Elgin/Davey and Elgin/Steen matches(the two REAL matches of the year in American wrestling in 2012) to become the best match this calendar year. Hell, If everything goes as planned, this may even put its hat in the ring as one of the top handful of matches in ROH history. I really waver on predicting a finish, as Generico winning seems to be the best payoff to the longterm story, but ultimately I struggle with picking him to go over here. I expect alot of SCUM interaction, I expect atleast one suprise person to throw their hat into the mix (maybe Nigel or even Cabana "out of leftfeild"), and I also expect Lethal will get involved. My one other thought with a Generico win is that it could lead to a threeway match with him, Lethal, and Steen headlining Supercard or the anniversary show, which would also be insane if competed with some sort of No-DQ stipulation. Honestly though, more of me thinks Steen finds a way to survive with the belt, I just don't know where they go with the SCUM storyline from there. But that may a good thing, I trust Delirious can pleasantly suprise me(a trust I definitely never had in Cornette).

Adressed specifically at the ROH fans... Feel free to tell me where I'm wrong and provide your final thoughts and predictions going into Final Battle??

WGTT v. Rhett Titus/BJ Whitmer in an NYC Street Fight

This seems like a logical choice for the opener and is one that I think will see Titus/Whitmer win. I've been enjoying WGTT in ROH so far and really hope they start pursuing singles work as well. In fact, I hope all four start making great strides in the singles division as well as continuing their work in the tag division.

Jay Lethal v. Rhino

Hopefully this is booked as an even, intense contest with Lethal and Rhino coming out at a draw. I don't feel very comfortable seeing either lose this match and I am intent on seeing a series with these two that leads to an eventual title match for Jay Lethal and Rhino at the appropriate times.

Prince Nana v. "Barrister" RD Evans

As long as this is kept short, then this match could be a great deal of fun. Nana could get solidification as a face manager from this if Evans is picked to be the heel at the match's end as Evans is quite adept at the mannerisms necessary to be a competent heel.

Jerry Lynn v. "The Prodigy" Mike Bennett

Jerry Lynn should get the clean victory here and I think that will certainly be met with approval by the spectators. Lynn may have not appealed to every wrestling fan, but his influence on the independent circuit is something to celebrate and his final ROH appearance should be a high point in that celebration. This will be a good match and one of the better of the night.

The American Wolves v. Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly

My prediction for match of the night as each man involved in this match can contribute to one overall theme for this match. This match will most likely be filled with all sorts of stiff hits and complex submission maneuvers, elements I'm looking forward to. I pick the Wolves to win and hopefully set up a great feud that may very well lead to Richards potential swan song for 2013. It will be sad to possibly see Davey possibly leave in 2013, but at least this match is something he will be excited to partake in and that enthusiasm should show through in the match itself.

Roderick Strong v. "Unbreakable" Micheal Elgin

This is another possible match of the night and is one that I think Elgin will win. This match could very well set up another series of matches for 2013 and I hope my prediction comes to pass.

TV Champion Adam Cole v. Matt Hardy

I believe Hardy will work hard to keep up with Cole, but will still lose to the TV Champion and rightfully so. Cole is on a role and deserves to be positioned for stardom come 2013.

S.C.U.M. Steve Corino and Jimmy Jacobs v. The Briscoes v. Caprice Coleman and Cedric Alexander

I think S.C.U.M will retain in a match that is going to be similar to TNA's three-way Tag Title Match from Bound For Glory, meaning that this match will be action-packed, but at the expense of strong psychology.

I've disappointed that Steen is still in abysmal shape, but he's carried himself as a champion and therefore still feels appropriate in his role. Generico isn't wrestling's best talent by any means, but he is one of its hardest workers and has my complete respect and fandom. This match will be nothing but spots, but spots that are well performed and keep people on the edge of their seats, so people will leave happy with this main event. I hope Steen doesn't get tired out before the matches end and is able to look as (surprisingly) intimidating as he will coming down to the ring as he will exiting it... with his ROH World Title, fully retained.

As a side note, I think Jay Lethal's angle with Steen will be the theme of the night and will close the show no matter who wins the World Title Match.

I've disappointed that Steen is still in abysmal shape, but he's carried himself as a champion and therefore still feels appropriate in his role.

To be fair to Steen, the condition of his knee makes it very difficult for him to do the kind of cardio and other training that would be needed for him to lose a significant amount of the weight he carries in his midsection at this point. If we go back and look at Steen before the injuries took such a negative toll on him he was definitely much lighter, always a little big mind you, but not like now.

As long as it doesn't effect the way he is able to deliver in the ring then I don't see how its an issue. The title match with Elgin at GBH is a perfect example. That match went just over thirty minutes and the pace was much more constant than you normally would see out of two wrestlers as large as Elgin and Steen. Also that match did a good job of dispelling the criticism that Steen can only work great matches in a hardcore setting at this point. That match was a "wrestling" match and Steen held up well. He also took all of Elgin's signature power offense, and was able to deliver all of his own signature offensive to Elgin for the whole half hour- no small feat given their size. I think the way that match was worked had to shut up alot of the people who criticize the current version of Kevin Steen. His PWG title defense against Willie Mack was another positive example from this year. Once again in that encounter Steen was able to work a long match with a large wrestler without the pace or type of offense being delivered suffering.

As long as we're not talking about Steen in the WWE where he would be forced to impress Vince Mcmahon with his physique, no one should have any reason to be concerned at all about his weight unless it starts to alter his in-ring performance. And since he's been able to put on high quality matches with larger foes, as well as keep up with the likes of Davey Richards and Adam Cole, not to mention still shine in his hardcore element against Jacobs and Generico, I think we can put to bed any doubts about him being in good enough shape to deliver when the time comes.

I am in total agreement with Papa Pillman when he says that as long as his weight dose not start to effect his in-ring performance it should not be a issue. Steen has been a fantastic ROH World Champion and has had some great title deffences over the last year and with Generico as the challenger, I don't expect this one to be any different.

As far as the rest of the card goes, I'm expecting the Roderick Strong vs Micheal Elgin match to be really good and while i'm expecting Elgin to dominate most of the match, I get the feeling that Strong will pick up the victory with a little bit of outside help. I think your going to see scum retain the tag titles in a match which i'm expecting to be quite violent. While I would love to see the titles back on the Briscoes. I just don't see it happening here. Also i'm expecting to see Leathal get the win over Rhino and I imagine this one will turn bloody.

To be fair to Steen, the condition of his knee makes it very difficult for him to do the kind of cardio and other training that would be needed for him to lose a significant amount of the weight he carries in his midsection at this point. If we go back and look at Steen before the injuries took such a negative toll on him he was definitely much lighter, always a little big mind you, but not like now.

As long as it doesn't effect the way he is able to deliver in the ring then I don't see how its an issue. The title match with Elgin at GBH is a perfect example. That match went just over thirty minutes and the pace was much more constant than you normally would see out of two wrestlers as large as Elgin and Steen. Also that match did a good job of dispelling the criticism that Steen can only work great matches in a hardcore setting at this point. That match was a "wrestling" match and Steen held up well. He also took all of Elgin's signature power offense, and was able to deliver all of his own signature offensive to Elgin for the whole half hour- no small feat given their size. I think the way that match was worked had to shut up alot of the people who criticize the current version of Kevin Steen. His PWG title defense against Willie Mack was another positive example from this year. Once again in that encounter Steen was able to work a long match with a large wrestler without the pace or type of offense being delivered suffering.

As long as we're not talking about Steen in the WWE where he would be forced to impress Vince Mcmahon with his physique, no one should have any reason to be concerned at all about his weight unless it starts to alter his in-ring performance. And since he's been able to put on high quality matches with larger foes, as well as keep up with the likes of Davey Richards and Adam Cole, not to mention still shine in his hardcore element against Jacobs and Generico, I think we can put to bed any doubts about him being in good enough shape to deliver when the time comes.
I really couldn't have put this any better myself. Despite his size, Steen still puts on solid matches with just about anyone and I would probably consider him within the top 5 indy talents I would sign if I were running either of the bigger companies. His weight kinda goes with the gimmick too, kinda. He's a crazy french bastard that just beats people up and does whatever the hell he wants, whenever the hell he wants and the majority of the audience are diggin' it I think. He was the ROH champion and the PWG champion at the same time and probably the most interesting character in each company, that's pretty impressive.

Anyways, just some random thoughts on each match.

WGTT v. Titus/Whitmer:

I think it would make sense to put over the homegrown talent and give them, and especially Titus, the rub going in to the new year. After a good match though, if they wanted things to keep going, having WGTT steal a win could probably work too.

Jay Lethal v. Rhino:

Lethal once dated AJ but I'm pretty sure they are no longer together. He's a hell of a wrestler, but he needs a smack upside the head for letting that relationship crumble. Maybe Rhino can GOOOOORRRRREEEE some sense in to him. In all seriousness though, Lethal should win this and I'm actually a fan of his. Rhino, not so much, to say his act's grown stale would be an understatement I think.

Prince Nana v. "Barrister" RD Evans:

This is what it is and the two of them are pretty entertaining so I'll give them that much. I don't really think it matters who wins.

Jerry Lynn v. "The Prodigy" Mike Bennett:

I'm really not a Bennett fan and I really wouldn't care if I never saw another Jerry Lynn pin scramble again in my life. I'm thinking Bennett should take this though.

The American Wolves v. Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly:

This should be pretty good and it's kind of cool to see the Wolves team up again. I've heard good things about Fish and I think it would be rad to see O'Reilly pin Davey.

Roderick Strong v. "Unbreakable" Micheal Elgin:

To point out the obvious, this one's probably gonna be stiff. Elgin's awesome and has been on a tear. He should get the win, capping off a hell of a year.

TV Champion Adam Cole v. Matt Hardy:

Ideally, I'd like to see Cole kick Hardy in the nuts, hit him upside the head with his title, pin his ass and chuck Hardy to the curb. This isn't sour grapes, I'd just like to see Cole bring what he's doing in PWG to ROH.

S.C.U.M. Steve Corino and Jimmy Jacobs v. The Briscoes v. Caprice Coleman and Cedric Alexander:

Even though SCUM haven't really accomplished much other than winning most of the gold, I think Cedric and Caprice could take this one. The Briscoes winning the titles again can be saved for a later date because when it does happen again it'll be cool regardless of what card it's on. Like I said though, SCUM's title reign would seem pretty lackluster if it were to end Sunday.

Anybody who plans on watching this and hasn't already seen their Steen Wolf match in PWG needs to watch that. Some of the spots in that were intense! I don't know how they are going to top that but I'm sure they will find a way. No doubt about it this is definitely what I am most pumped for as these two are two of my favorites and they deserve to be in the main event competing for the World title. Steen is awesome and him losing would kind of hurt SCUM I think, but it would make sense for Generico to win, and Generico is the man so here's hoping he wins. Generico has spent the past year since he has been away from ROH, traveling the world and making a name for himself as a well respected world class wrestler and I think having him as the face of the company would be a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back