Film Revisionism: Your Top 10 For the Past 13 Years

1. Let The Right One In- I saw the movie before reading the book, and Let The Right The Right One In is truly a great vampire film. Beautiful cinematography, outstanding performances, and a genuine heartfelt story about two kids (one is an outcast, who's bullied and picked on a lot, and the girl is the vampire), who are struggling to find themselves. Now a days, the VAST majority of vampire films are loaded with so much over the top blood and gore, but the Let The Right One In takes a more subtle and restrained approach to the nasty stuff. It's not a stretch to award Let The Right One In with the title of "best modern vampire movie," and this film is truly a work of art and an all-time great.

2. Forgetting Sarah Marshall- I'm always torn between Jeff, Who Lives At Home and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I constantly go back and forth in my head trying to decide the best Jason Segel film between the two, but Forgetting Sarah Marshall is still a great, great romantic comedy. Just think about all the shitty, forgettable, and formulaic romantic comedies Hollywood churns out each year. FSM isn't one of those turds. FSM has the perfect balance of romance and raunchy humor, and if you haven't seen this film, you're missing out on something special.

3. The Dark Knight- I'm of the belief if Heath Ledger was still alive, The Dark Knight wouldn't receive so much godly praise. We're always wondering about the what ifs for Ledger's career, because The Joker was one of his last performances (I'm not 100% sure, but Ledger had a part in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus in there somewhere). Plus, when it comes to Nolan's trilogy, it's a three way toss up between Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises for the best film in the franchise. You can make legit arguments for each film, so The Dark Knight isn't a clear cut #1 choice.

4. Iron Man- Easily the best of the Iron Man films, and Robert Downey, Jr. is just outstanding. Iron Man deserves a spot on the list of all-time great superhero films, and the action sequences are amazing.

5. The Curious Case Of Benjamin- Not my favorite David Fincher film, but Brad and Blanchett deliver a pair of great performances here. An emotional and magical fairy tale, and I'm happy they went with the heartbreaking ending instead of your usual corny happy ending. Also, I think Brad had his best chance to win the Best Actor award here. I honestly believe he'll never see another perfect opportunity again.

6. Pineapple Express- Pineapple Express is one the very few comedies I can laugh at over and over again without getting tired of it. I can't count the number of times I've seen Pineapple Express, and till this day, the movie is still capable of cracking me up. Franco and Rogen should've collaborated again for a sequel. Instead, they teamed up again in that overrated piece of shit This Is The End. If you haven't seen Pineapple Express, you need to give it a try at least once.

7. Gran Torino- Eastwood is outstanding, but I thought the finale with Eastwood sacrificing himself to put a stop to the gangs, so he can help the two kids was kind of corny. IMO, with a different ending, Gran Torino could've been a much better film.

8. The Wrestler- An honest and heartbreaking look into the life a veteran pro wrestler, who's down on his luck, and looking for a second chance to fix the broken relationship with his daughter. The Wrestler benefits from a strong sense of realism, and a great performance from Mickey Rourke (Tomei and Evan Rachel Wood are pretty good also).

9. The Strangers- I know a lot of people hate The Strangers, but I love this film. It's a spooky home invasion thriller with a few good jump scares, and the tension is unreal. Also, I have fond memories of The Strangers, because I went to see it on opening night at the theaters, and everyone (including adults) freaked out (screaming, jumping, etc.) during the entire movie. Hilarious stuff.

10. Cloverfield- It took a while, but Clovefield eventually grew on me. Now, it's one of my favorite found-footage films ever. It's like you're watching Godzilla attack New York from the POV of a frightened New Yorker. Lizzy Caplan and TJ Miller are hilarious, and Cloverfield is one of the more unique found-footage films you'll ever see. My only real complaint about the movie is the main character (Rob), because he's a selfish and irresponsible ********.

1. In Bruges
My family and I went on holiday to Bruges primarily because of how great it looked in this film. This is a wonderful dark comedy about Irish hitmen hiding out in Bruges (duh) after one of them accidentally killing an innocent child on a hit, and the guilt that he tries to come to terms with.

2. Gran Torino
It's already been mentioned and I can't add anything to what's been said. I'm a big fan of Eastwood...

3. Changeling
...which is why this is here too. To be honest, I don't know if Angelina Jolie deserves all the plaudits she got for this. She was good but I certainly don't think she was great. It was just a different role to what she normally plays. The direction is excellent though especially the tension later on in the film following the police investigation.

4. The Dark Knight
Before The Dark Knight, Batman was just something that I knew about through pop culture osmosis because, it's Batman, and everyone knows who he is. I hadn't read a comic, I hadn't seen the Burton films, I hadn't yet seen Batman Begins either. The Dark Knight showed me just what can be done with the superhero genre which is a genre I've never really been a big fan of. While I'm not a superhero fan now, I'm definitely a Batman fan. Big credit obviously to Heath Ledger for his portrayal of The Joker but also to Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent.

5. Burn After Reading
The Coens go back to a comedy after No Country for Old Men. Burn After Reading is actually really dark in places but seems like a pailful of kittens compared to how bleak and desolate No Country was. It isn't as good as NCfOM but it's hilarious in places. Brad Pitt in particular is completely against type as a dumb, vacant but enthusiastic gym trainer.

6. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
This reminded me of Forrest Gump a bit in terms of the structure. I like the short story and this expands it nicely. The sets and period pieces all look great.

7. The Wrestler
Rourke is excellent. We're all wrestling fans here and this shows a side of the business that we don't perhaps appreciate. We're all too quick to complain sometimes but these guys go out and put their physical, emotional and mental well-being at risk. My family liked it too and they aren't wrestling fans. They said that it showed a part of the business they had no idea about, the side of guys on the indie circuit barely scraping by.

8. Synedoche, New York
I'll be honest, I can't quite say that I've entirely worked out what Synedoche, New York but it is a unique film as Kaufman films usually are. This is the first one he's directed, I think. I'll have to give it another watch to fully understand it but on a surface level it has a great performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman as a theater director struggling in his personal life who builds a life-size replica of New York City in a warehouse for his new play.

9. Slumdog Millionaire
I liked the narrative technique of showing us how he knew the answers to the questions by giving us snippets of his life. It's a feelgood film that borrows heavily from Bollywood. I don't think it should have won the Oscar, though.

10. Che: Part One
Benicio Del Toro is excellent as Che in the first part of two films dealing with his life. I haven't seen Part Two so I'm judging this purely on Part One. I've heard that Part Two is the better of the two. Guevara is a polarising figure whose revolution is seen as either heroic and just or brutal and unwavering. Today he has ultimately been boiled down to an image on a printed t-shirt for college students to wear. Che does a great job of actually showing us what the man was like as well as chronicling the historical events.

1. In Bruges - This is the best dark comedy I have ever watched. Even after multiple viewings, it still cracks me up. The cast is superb with Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes being hilarious throughout. One of my favourite quotes of the movie is Fieness shouting at his wife; "You're a inanimate fucking object." Fantastic movie.

2. The Dark Knight - My favourite sequel of all time. Although the movie isn't as good as it's predecessor, it's still an amazing movie. The Joker is antagonist to Bale's Batman and it features a ton of memorable scenes. The ending could've been better but I still have a lot of love for this movie.

3. Wanted - Based on the graphic novel, the movie stars James McAvoy as Wesley Gibson who is a stressed account manager that finds out that he is a son of a deadly assassin and becomes embroiled in the "Fraternity". It features a ton of ridiculous action sequences which entertains me to no end. Plus, it made me a big fan of McAvoy.

4. Iron Man
- Like what the others said, the best out of the 3. Robert Downey Jr. is just terrific as Tony Stark and it's as if the role was made for him. The only thing I like more from the other movies is Don Cheadle taking over the role of Roadie/War Machine.

5. Changeling - Clint Eastwood directs this film based on true events about a woman who loses her child only to be reunited with him, yet not everything seems to be as it seems. Angelina Jolie is terrific as the mother and the film had me gripped throughout.

6. The Wrestler - How could you not have this on your list if you're on a wrestling forum? Mickey Rourke has a fantastic come back (which was shortlived, I might add.) as Randy "The Ram" Robinson. Marisa Tomei also shocked me with her performance as the stripper Cassidy; it also helped that she had her tits out for a portion of it.

7. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Another sweet collaboration between David Fincher and Brad Pitt. The premise is really interesting with a guy ageing backwards and the love story aspect was really quite heartbreaking if you think about it.

8. Gran Torino - Not as great as people have made it out to me, but still another good film by Clint Eastwood which is slightly below such Million Dollar Baby and Unforgiven. I can't really add much more than what the 3 posters have already mentioned.

9. Role Models - An absurd comedy about two colleagues who must take part in community service by working a "role model" programme with children. The films two leads are Paul Rudd and Seann William Scott. The chemistry between the pair is sublime and if any other two actors played their roles then I can't imagine the film being as funny as it is. The supporting cast also have their hilarious moments.

10. Sex Drive - Not an amazing comedy, but it gets a spot on my list for the outstanding performance from James Marsden as the ******** brother. The story follows Josh Zuckerman as this loser kid who goes on a road trip to hook up with this girl he's found online. Clark Duke and Amanda Crew play his two friends. Like I said, you won't find anything unique about this flick, but James Marsden makes the movie for me.

1) Love Exposure - I've mentioned Sion Sono's name a few times already since compiling these top 10 lists, but Love Exposure is his true masterpiece. It's one of the oddest yet brilliant films ever made by my estimation. To even describe what it's about is damn near impossible. You just have to watch it for yourself. You won't regret it.

2) The Dark Knight - Reasons are obvious. This is perhaps the most hyped film of all time and for me it totally lived up to all the high expectations everyone, including myself, had for it. I can't say anything else about it that hasn't already been said a million times over.

3) The Wrestler - As a big time pro wrestling fan since I was 3, I've waited my whole life for a good film about the business. And in 2008 I finally got one with The Wrestler. I remember when it first went into production with Nicolas Cage to star in the lead role that I immediately thought it was going to be awful. Then when Mickey Rourke replaced him in the lead, my expectations went down even lower for it. But when early reviews started scattering in and the trailer was released, my opinion already did a complete 180 and when I finally saw the film I simply blown away.

4) Let the Right One In - Very different kind of vampire flick that came out right at the perfect time with the Twilight craze and all that garbage. This film showed that vampires can still be an interesting subject matter for film if done right.

5) Forgetting Sarah Marshall - Easily the best comedy of the year. Jason Segel was absolutely brilliant as a man who goes on vacation to fix his broken heart, only to be roomed next door to his ex-girlfriend. Segel gave one of the funniest and guttiest performances in any comedy ever in this if you ask me. I loved it.

6) The Good, the Bad, the Weird - I'm not a huge fan of Westerns, but this one really pulled me in and blew me away. It's funny, charming, action-packed, and simply a ton of fun to sit through.

7) Iron Man - Awesome comic book movie that really surpassed my low expectations going in. I've always been a Robert Downey Jr. fan, but I never cared for Iron Man in the comics or cartoons, and I just couldn't picture RDJ playing a super hero. But man, he pulled it off to perfection in one of the greatest comic book movies ever made.

8) Revolutionary Road - The story in this one isn't too strong, but the acting from Kate Winslet, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Michael Shannon is so superb that I have to put it in my top 10 regardless. Watch this film and I dare you to name another one that has 3 equally great performances all in one movie as Revolutionary Road does.

9) Mesrine: Killer Instinct - My main man Vincent Cassel in a biopic of one of the most notorious criminals in France and Canada history. The 2nd film didn't live up to the first, but the first was awesome and definitely deserves a spot on my list. Intense, fascinating, and with a brilliant leading man who more than deserved the Cesar he received for his performance, this film is a must see for any fans of crime movies.

10) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - A bit too long and didn't quite live up to the very high expectations I had for it, but still... it's a beautiful film with a stellar performance from the impeccable Brad Pitt and also from the GOAT herself Cate Blanchett.

2009 In Review
Linked: Top 100 Grossing Films*
*Don't count re-releases.

Linked:Films Receiving BAFTA Nominations

Linked: Films Receiving Academy Award Nominations

Linked: National Board of Review Nominations

Films Shown At the 2008 Cannes Film Festival

Roger Ebert's Ten Best Films of 2009
(Alphabetically, not ranked)
Mainstream
Bad Lieutenant
Crazy Heart
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglorious Bastards
Knowing
Precious
A Serious Man
Up In The Air
The White Ribbon

Independant
Departures
Disgrace
Everlasting Moments
Goodbye Solo
Julia
Silent Light
Sin Nombre
Skin
Trucker
You, The Living

1. Up In The Air: Unlike previous years, there was little debate for me as to my #1 film. While The Hurt Locker received most of the love from the Academy, awards wise, Up In The Air was simply the better film. George Clooney works as an executive with no real ties whose home is essentially a motel and the air, and his goal in life is to reach 10 million flier miles. He fires people for a living, doing what their bosses are unwilling to do. He finds connections finally on the ground, including a great turn by Vera Farmiga. There are a few nice surprises here, and Anna Kendrick is great as a young executive who believes handling the firings from a computer can save money and decrease incidents, until her boyfriend ends things with her in an unconventional way. The idea of technology replacing human interaction is prevalent here, and it resonates through each of the lives of the main characters. The ending is unconventional, but what movie ties up every loose end, is humorous, and compelling in its message at the same time? Jason Reitman and co. were robbed of best picture here, and Vera Farmiga and George Clooney were deserving of their nominations, at least.

2. The Messenger: I've liked Ben Foster since Alpha Dogs, and felt he was excellent here as a war hero who is assigned, along with Woody Harrelson, as a casualty notification officer. He finds himself falling for the wife of one of the women he has to notify of her husbands's death. Woody Harrelson was brilliant here as a fellow ex-army captain and alcoholic. Ethical dilemnas galore explode in this one as Foster ponders the possible exploitation of a woman in a state of grief and vulnerability, the central themes of the movie. There's little sentiment in the movie and the ending is far from "feel good", but it's captivating(and moving) nonetheless. Samantha Morton as the grieving widow is excellent as well.

3. Inglorious Bastards: Quentin Tarentino's re-telling, if you will, of World War 2 and its end. It's a dramatic re-write, with a Jewish female heroine, and Christophe Waltz brilliantly playing a German Jew Hunter who switches sides and helps Brad Pitt locate and kill Hitler. It took multiple viewings for me to appreciate this one, and as is the theme in many of Tarantino's films, vengeance at rediculous levels takes center stage. The overabundance of violence makes the Jews look like the Nazis. It's a fun movie in the Tarantino vein, one that people undoubtably love......or hate. Count me in the former.

4. The Hurt Locker: While I didn't find it worthy of all the praise heaped upon it, The Hurt Locker undoubtably was a great movie. It was a breakout performance for Jeremy Renner, and Kathryn Bigelow was near-flawless in her direction of the film. Well defined characters with sustainable narratives are fluent throughout the film, and there's no challenging or doubting the motives of said characters. It's somewhat disturbing that the beginning 'prophecy' of "War Is A Drug" essentially being proven true, as Renners character grows essentially tired of civilian life and re-enlists to do the one thing he loves most, which, sadly, isn't being with his wife and son. It's a great war movie, although slightly overrated, I felt. Still good, however.

5. Angels and Demons:I'm undoubtably far over-ranking this, and much of that is undeniably due to the Dan Brown book being the best mystery/theology/history novel I've ever read. The movie does the part of incorporating the best parts of the novel onto the screen, and the book was actually the prequel to the Da Vinci Code. The real star here was Ewan McGregor, who was exactly the character I imagined for the Carmelengo when I read the book. There was a great twist at the end, the scenery was beautiful, and Tom Hanks was once again at his best. Many Catholics were angered by this, but my wife, a devout one, saw it as the misgivings of one rather then the church. I agree, and liked it almost as much as the book.

6. The Lovely Bones: This is a different type of film then what you would expect from Peter Jackson, but it's an excellent one. It explores many of the themes a movie about a family losing their young daughter does, including grief, despair, obsession with justice, and isolation, but the film is shown from the point of view from the young girl who was murdered. She refuses to enter heaven until her family finds peace, which they finally do when her killer, played brilliantly by Stanley Tucci, is killed, albeit accidentally. It's not the type of role one would expect from Mark Wahlberg, but he's excellent here as the grieving father.

7. Drag Me To Hell: A horror film with legitimate shock and horror, and an ending that left me sitting there, mouth open wide. Alison Lohman wasn't always a sympathetic character, but she becomes one as the film progresses. Her attempts to rid herself of a curse left upon her by an old woman, who died shortly after a confrontation with Lohman, engulfs the movie. Justin Long is brilliant as the understanding and long-suffering boyfriend. The tension in the movie is palpable throughout, and is not predictable in its 'direction' the way most horror movies tend to be. It's a credit to Sam Raimi to fit enough legitimate scares, laughs and chills into a PG-13 movie.

8. The Hangover: You've seen it, you've laughed, there's not a whole lot more to say. By far the best of a the trilogy, with an especially funny cameo by Mike Tyson. I wasn't and still am not a fan of Zach Galifynakis, but he had his moments here. There's really little I can say here other than it was the best 'outright' comedy of the year.

9. In The Loop: A funny satirical comedy that sees the Minister of Defense for Great Britain make comments on a national show about a war with the middle East being unavoidable. His comments are used by U.S. officials to bring him in and use him has a pawn in a political game. It's so over the top that it feels almost realistic on some level, which is just one part of the film's brilliance. There are numerous one-liners here that are hilarious in nature, yet all ring true on some level. It satirizes both what British and U.S. intelligence was doing leading up to the Iraqi War, and does so with intelligence.

10. Up: Adult and child alike, I don't know anyone who doesn't like this film. I actually found myself downplaying the movie the last time I discussed it, on a date with my wife and two other late 20's people, as they discussed its brilliance and charm, in detail. And it has both, along with being a very funny film at times. It's predictable, of course, but that makes it lose none of its charm. It's hard to argue most of the accolades heaped on it, because it's a fun movie for people of all ages.

1. Drag Me To Hell- I was blown away by this. Raimi returned to his Evil Dead roots here by providing the perfect mix of spooky horror, humor, and LOTS of blood. This film also holds a special place in my heart, because I hated Spider-Man 3 so much, so in a lot of ways, I looked at Drag Me To Hell as a redemption film with Raimi returning to top form. And the ending? It's just perfect. The look of shock and devastation on Justin Long's face is priceless.

2. Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans- To be honest, I had no interest whatsoever in this film, but a friend of mine told me I had to see it, so I gave it a try. Nicolas Cage is amazing, as this unhinged and borderline psychotic monster. Bad Lieutenant is a fearless crime drama that refuses to hold anything back, and if you're a Nicolas Cage fan, you have to see this film to witness his great performance.

3. Inglorious Basterds- Not my favorite Tarantino film, but Basterds is still a lot of fun. Christoph Waltz is outstanding as Hans Landa. Waltz's portrayal of this cold and calculating gentleman is the highlight of Basterds for me, but Eli Roth's Bear Jew character annoyed the shit out of me, and till this day, the Bear Jew character is still my least favorite character in a Tarantino film ever. Tarantino's witty style of dialogue is sharp as usual, but the scene with Bridget von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger) in the tavern drove me nuts. It goes on and on forever, and it's a prime example of Tarantino becoming too obsessed with his greatest strength. The tavern scene is reminiscent of that boring and dull scene with all the women talking about random bullshit at a diner from DeathProof.

And something bothers me about Brad Pitt here. I dunno. Pitt's not bad or anything like that, but I had high hopes for a Tarantino/Pitt collaboration, and the pairing didn't live up to expectations for me. I have similar feelings for Pitt teaming up with Coens in Burn After Reading.

4. Adventureland- A wonderful coming-of-age comedy with the right nostalgic touch, and a ton of good laughs. I know most will pick The Social Network, but Adventureland is my favorite Jesse Eisenberg film by far. Ryan Reynolds is hilarious also. I'm tempted to rank Adventureland higher, but as usual, Kristen Stewart is awful.

5. The Hurt Locker- An intense and raw war epic with some suspenseful action sequences. Personally, Near Dark is still my favorite Kathryn Bigelow film, but it's hard to argue against Bigelow deserving her Best Director Oscar for her work on this one. And I wonder what ever happened to Jeremy Renner after this film. Renner showed so much promise in Dahmer and The Hurt Locker, but he's stuck in this mediocre phase, and it's been that way for the past couple of years now.

6. Notorious- Most will dismiss Notorious as a another generic from rags to riches bipopic, but Notorious did a good job of paying tribute to Biggie in my eyes. Jamal Woolard's performance was spot on, and Derek Luke's imitation of Diddy was fun to watch.

7. Friday The 13th- One of he best horror remakes I've seen in YEARS. It's even more surprising, when you consider the fact this remake came from Michael Bay's crap factory (i.e. The Hitcher remake) Platinum Dunes. If you love Jason and Friday The 13th, you need to see this film. It's that simple. But I'm uneasy about news for the new Friday The 13th film. I don't like the rumors for the possibility of a found-footage Friday The 13th. Jason in a found-footage film? That's a cringeworthy thought. In fact, I would prefer a sequel to Jason X instead.

8. The Descent 2- A lot of people bitch about the "It's not as good as the original!" stuff, but if you're a fan of The Descent, you should enjoy the sequel. Yeah, they stuck to the same formula used in the first film, but I'm willing to give 2 a if it ain't broke don't fix it pass. Plus, the ending is so heartbreaking with Sarah realizing her mistakes, and making the ultimate sacrifice to save Elen.

9. The Blind Side- The Blind Side feels really generic at times, but Sandra Bullock is superb in the leading role. She earned that Best Actress Oscar with a commanding performance, and without Bullock in the starring role, The Blind Side is dumped into the pot with other generic sports biopics.

10. Jennifer's Body- The only time I'll ever defend a Megan Fox performance. She was the ideal choice for the bitchy and narcissistic high school girl with a massive ego, and Fox nailed the Jennifer character. And Amanda Seyfried is hilarious as Needy, the nerdy and loyal best friend. Jennifer's Body is a hilarious horror comedy with a good amount of nasty and bloody gore.

1) A Prophet - Tdigs forced this film down my throat and it's one of the many reasons why he's my boy. This movie is fucking awesome. I was expecting some artsy-fartsy crap going into this one, but it's one of the greatest, most compelling mafia movies I've ever seen. The main character's rise up through the ranks is every bit as believable and fun as Walter White's in Breaking Bad. The difference? Breaking Bad had pretty much 62 hours of television time to show you Walt's story, while this only had 2 and a half and it was just as good. That says it all.

2) (500) Days of Summer - The greatest, most realistic "romantic comedy" ever made in my opinion. There aren't many films with a more satisfying ending than this one. They make you think they're going one direction with a very cliche route, and instead go into completely another while still somehow managing to give you such a feel-good closure to the film.

3) Mr. Nobody - Impossible to describe, this is a heartwarming and very thought provoking flick that simply flies by despite its 2 hour and 30 minute length. This film is for anyone who is into movies that explore the wonders of life and how every decision we make could end up changing our or someone we don't even know lives forever.

4) Inglourious Basterds - Quentin Tarantino's best work since Kill Bill and remains so after that shitty Django movie. This movie not only has your typical, balls-to-the-wall Tarantino twist and turns, but it also has the best dialogue he's written since Pulp Fiction. This movie was also loaded from top-to-bottom with brilliant acting from pretty much everyone in it. It's rare where you see an ensemble cast deliver in every aspect.

5) I Love You, Man - Paul Rudd and Jason Segel are brilliant, comedic gold together in this wonderful film. This is the rare comedy where every time you watch it, you pick up little things you missed before, mostly from Rudd. His character plays an engaged man who goes on the lookout to find a best man for his wedding since he's never had that "male best friend" most guys have growing up. Rudd is able to pull off being awkward in this film without making you feel awkward, which is damn near impossible to do. I HATE awkward comedy, but this film is the one exception and it's because of Rudd and Segel's performances and chemistry together.

6) Mother - Very disturbing and sad South Korean film about a mentally handicapped young man who gets falsely charged for murder and his mother goes on the hunt to prove his innocence. The story and action isn't as good as the other great South Korean films to come out since the 00's, but the acting is perhaps the best I've ever seen from a South Korean film to date.

7) World's Greatest Dad - Contains Robin Williams 2nd best performance of his entire, glorious career. I don't want to give the plot away since if you watch it, you'll enjoy it better if you know nothing about it going in. Just know it's Robin Williams at both his dramatic and comedic best, and is one of those "dark comedies" that makes you feel guilty for laughing, but still has a beautiful sweetness about it.

8) Adventureland - Very fun and sweet flick set in the late eighties about a young man out of college who decides to take a summer job at an amusement park. Filled with great and relatable characters, this film is able to capture the eighties to a T and remind us why we love the 80's in the first place.

9) Observe and Report - Absolutely CRAZY comedy starring Seth Rogen as a bi-polar mall security guard who's dream is to become a real police officer. It's not the best comedy Rogen has starred in, but in my opinion it's definitely the best comedic performance he's delivered to date. Unfortunately, the film got overshadowed by the shitty, mainstream catering to Paul Blart: Mall Cop film, but it still has a pretty good following that I think will only grow for years to come.

10) Blood and Bone - Finally I found a place to list a B-rated American Martial Arts film. I fucking love them, and Blood and Bone is easily the best one to come out in the 00's. Michael Jai White is awesome as a man out for vengeance, fighting in underground fights until he seeks it. The final fight is mind-blowingly good and one of the best one-on-one fight scenes I've ever seen.

Reactions: TLC
1. Up - The best animated film I have ever watched. Yes, even better than The Lion King, Toy Story etc. The first 10 minutes may be the best 10 minutes of any film, it's so emotional and had me hooked from the start.

2. The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans - One of the funniest films I have ever watched. Nicolas Cage puts on probably his best performance of the past 10 years as the crazy, drug fuelled Police Officer. Val Kilmer and Xzibit are also hilarious.

3. I Love You, Man - On paper this could look like another crappy comedy and I could agree with you if it wasn't for the chemistry between Paul Rudd and Jason Segel. Both actors are constantly funny and prove to be two of the most likeable and funniest actors in Hollywood. Rashida Jones is also good in the film as Rudd's soon to be wife. It also gave us the "slappin da bass" scene, so points for that.

4. Inglorious Basterds - While the movie isn't on the same level as some of his other work (Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill Vol. 1), Basterds is still a fantastic film with some amazing dialogue and scenes. It was the first time I noticed Michael Fassbender who is now one of my favourite actors. The scene where Brad Pitt is trying speak Italian is one of my all time favourites, it's too funny. I agree that some scenes drag, but I still love the movie.

5. The Hurt Locker
- An epic, war drama directed by Katheryn Bigelow and starring Jeremy Renner. The film is as powerful as it gets with some of the most exhilarating and gripping scenes I have ever witnessed. It may be overrated by some, but that doesn't matter to me as it hasn't made the film any less watchable or any less memorable.

6. Zombieland A hilarious zombie movie featuring Jesse Eisenberg and Woody Harrelson as two survivors who join forces on a road trip across America. Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin also star. The film is filled with some great humour and great comedic timing and has one of the best cameo's I can remember.

7. Crazy Heart - Jeff Bridges stars as Otis Blake, a 50 something has been country singer who attempts to turn his life around. The film could've been cliche but Bridge's performance is simply stunning and completely deserved the Oscar he recieved.

8. Moon - A fantastic sci fi directed by Duncan Jones which features a stellar performance from Sam Rockwell. I love the Big Brother themes and the sharp dialogue and it's a shame that the film didn't receive more love than it got.

9. District 9 - Neill Blomkamp's directorial debut and what a start to his career. Blomkamp's movie is stylish and original and Sharlto Copley's performance is great and the entire film is exciting and very fun to watch.

10. Adventureland - I watched this movie about 10 times in the space of a week for some strange reason and I had no idea why. For some reason I found is flat out entertaining and engaged me throughout. One of the only flaw's with the movie is Kristen Stewart who is fucking dreadful. Without her, the movie may have had a higher place in my list.

2010 In Review

Films Shown At the 2009 Cannes Film Festival

Roger Ebert's Ten Best Films of 2010
(Ebert went back to a ranking system this year.)
1. The Social Network
2. The King's Speech
3. Black Swan
4. I Am Love
5. Winter's Bone
6. Inception
7. The Secret In Their Eyes
8. The American(I will red rep anyone who includes this piece of crap in their list;))
9. The Kids Are All Right
10. The Ghost Writer

1. Black Swan: With past years I've counted down 10-1, but there was no need here. Black Swan was easily my top choice here, and nothing was going to sway that. As general film buffs, I'd bet my house there isn't one among us who hasn't seen this film, and won't rate it highly. Truly, the only debate here for me is whether this or The Wrestler is Darren Aronofsky's best film to date, and my leaning is here. Natalie Portman was bloody brilliant as Nina, the dancer whose obsession with playing the dual roles of the White and Black Swan draw her past the lines of sanity, and the movie goes above and beyond to blur the lines of real and fake. Props to both Vincent Cassel and Mila Kunis both as well, as their fantastic contribution helped make this into a true psychological thriller to the very end. Despite this being snubbed in favor of the Social Network, Natalie Portman got her freaking due with a much deserved Best Actress win.

2. Winter's Bone: In another year, perhaps, Winter's Bone would be quite worthy to top my list, but it simply couldn't compete with Black Swan. For my money, the best performance of the film may well go to the severely underrated John Hawkes, who plays the meth-head brother of Jennifer's Lawrence's father, her uncle. Despite his own issues, his warnings to Lawrence's Ree Dolly to avoid trouble with the fellow townspeople ring true, as the Ozarks are an area where the people fight both abject poverty and one another. Lawrence ignores said warnings in her quest to provide for her family, with her mother severely disabled and her father missing. Her plight to remove the family out from under the troubles left from her father's disappearance are painstaking, as is her search for him. Themes of family allegiance despite utter failings are shown in the lengths Lawrence's Dolly goes to in protecting her family, done so in the search for her father. She's as sympathetic a character that's come along in some time. It's an intriguing thriller and a captivating drama, perhaps Lawrence's best work. And yes, I've seen SLP, and liked it quite a bit.

3. A Prophet: It's hard for me to argue with JMT's assessment of this one, simply the year itself. ;) I always saw it as a 2010 release, so I'm including it here. The tale of an Arabic man who enters prison knowing nothing but forced into a life he doesn't understand is incredibly poignant, as is his shocking rise and transformation. Malik cannot read or write as the film begins, but learns to do so through a Muslim friend he meets in prison. By film's end, Malik is able to manipulate others into doing his every bidding due to his rapid understanding of multiple cultures, allowing him to foresee things others cannot, leading to his nickname being that of the 'Prophet.' Despite his rise, he remains loyal to the friend who helped him in the first place, especially with regards to his wife and child. I've heard the movie compared to the Godfather, and it's not a poor comparison. Excellent movie, and it does indeed(as JMT noted) rival Walter White of Breaking Bad fame in Malik's rise to power. A hard call bumping this to #3, and extremely recommended for those yet to see it.

4. The Fighter: Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale and Amy Adams are all shockingly wonderful in this drama/sports picture about a struggling fighter(Wahlberg) trying to make it into the big-time while dealing with his cocaine addicted brother(Bale and his opinionated and sometimes volatile girlfriend.(Adams) The movie explores family dynamics and the effects of addiction on a family and its ability to maintain itself throughout. Wahlberg's triumph is all-the-more moving because of what he's endured with his family dynamics. Bale and mother Melissa Leo both received(and won) Best Supporting Roles, and deservingly so. Wahlberg may be the star, but Bale's performance was mind-blowingly brilliant. A great story of redemption on several levels.

5. Inception: While Leonardo DiCaprio is the star of this futuristic thriller, the best performances here come from Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Ellen Page. The movie follows DiCaprio and JGL as they perform espionage on a corporate level in order to extract information from rivals by hacking their dreams. Christopher Nolan's psychological thriller succeeds because it's a scary prospect in and of itself: Intelligent individuals not only extracting information from rivals, but planting thoughts as well. Problems arise when DiCaprio and co. fail to realize the far-reaching consequences of their actions, and agree to even further unethical behavior so DiCaprio' Cobb can be cleared of a murder charge, allowing him to once again see his wife and children again. However, the movie allows the viewer to see the complications of juggling dreams and reality with poignancy. There is layer upon layer for the viewer to sift through, but the film gives the viewer the benefit of the doubt of being intelligent enough to do so. The complaints of the ending are utterly unfounded to me, as it left room for a possible sequel, I felt. In a world where there is little fresh material in movies these days, Inception provides exactly that.

6. Let Me In: Normally, Let Me In isn't my cup of tea, but it's leads in Kodi Smit-McPhee, a bullied 12 year old, and Chloë Grace Moretz, a young vampire who both befriends and protects McPhee are so likable despite Moretz's obvious misgivings and confliction that I couldn't help but like it greatly. It's bloody and gruesome at times, but those scenes are offset beautifully between the burgeoning relationship between Moretz and McPhee, which is much more important than any bloody scene Matt Reeves could dream up. It's a vampire/love story done right, with just the right balance of both. A true credit to Reeves as director, and young stars Moretz and McPhee as well. I'm sure Mitch can do this far better justice than I, but as an outsider who typically is not a fan of vampire films, this one surprised me wonderfully.

7. True Grit: An excellent remake of the John Wayne classic, Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon are perfectly cast here. Bridges plays Rooster Cogburn with a snarl, a washed up, drunken Marshall. Damon is equally good as his inept but somewhat heroic partner. But what drives this movie, making it work? The performance of 14 year old Hailee Stanfield, a young girl driven and obsessed with going after her father's murderer, ruthlessly played by Josh Brolin. Stanfield's insistence on joining the pursuit adds a more human aspect to the chase, and really enhances the film. The inclusion of religious and Biblical perspectives add even more depth to the movie, and it's a credit to the Coen brothers for moving outside their typical comfort zone to make this excellent film.

8. Despicable Me: Anything with the incredibly likeable Steve Carell is must-see for me, and his turn as supervillian Gru in this animated caper is both funny and heart-warming. Gru's adoption of three young girls in order to fulfill his plan of taking over the world is thwarted as Gru finds himself truly loving the girls, which conflicts him as a super-villian. Jason Segal has an excellent turn as Vector, the villian who attempts to both take Gru's place as the world's top villian, but also to eliminate Gru himself. The movie is surprisingly thoughtful and just plain smart, and quite funny as well. I wasn't sold on the sequel, but the original was heart-warming gold.

9. Shutter Island: As a rule, there's generally one film a year that truly shocks me at the end, and Shutter Island was that film in 2010. The movie follows two U.S. Marshals who arrive at the mysterious Ashecliffe Hospital for the criminally insane in order to investigate the disappearance of a patient, and the movie centers around Marshall Leonardo DiCaprio's Teddy, and his investigation into Shutter Island and the hospital itself. Martin Scorcese's true triumph here is creating a character and an atmosphere alike that arouses fear into what is real and what is not. Poignantly so, the film asks a difficult question in the end, answers it, but still leaves it up to the audience to answer. The twist at the end got me, which doesn't happen much. Underrated, I felt.

10.Easy A: Emma Stone absolutely breaks out here in this coming of age comedy as a high school girl determined to change her image, so much so that she allows guys to pay her to 'say' they had sex with her, rather then actually doing so. An indirect modern day adaption of the magnificent book The Scarlet Letter, Stone clashes hilariously with the over-the-top Christian group that decries her losing her virginity, lead by the incredibly pious Amanda Bynes, who's also quite good here. Stone's Olive goes as far as to wear an 'A' on her clothing, also a throwback to The Scarlet Letter. Olive learns the error of her behavior not through the pious religious group, but when Bynes' boyfriend contracts clymedia from the school guidance counselor, an excellent Lisa Kudrow. Olive is the easy scapegoat, as Kudrow is desperate to protect both her job and her marriage. Olive confesses her scheme in an entertaining song and dance number, and this movie truly belongs to Stone. She's believable, eccentric, and quite funny in a movie that smartly take the middle ground on high school sex.

1) Confessions - Not only the best film of 2010, but perhaps the best film of the decade thus far. It very well could also be the greatest revenge film ever made. It's fucking awesome. Without giving too much away, it's about a middle school teacher who's young daughter died and she believes it was caused by a couple of her students, so she goes her way about getting back at them. This movie will take your breath away and leave you sitting there with your jaw dropped to the floor the entire duration of it.

2) The Fighter - Best boxing movie made since the 80's. I was a fan of Mickey Ward before this (Ward/Gatti trilogy FTW), but I still didn't know very much about Ward's background. This film really opened my eyes to it and both Walhberg and Christian Bale were great in this movie, especially Bale as Mickey's troubled, heroin addicted brother Dickie (he definitely deserved the Oscar he received for his portrayal).

3) Black Swan - Surreal/brilliant Darren Aronofsky film about a ballerina who starts to lose her mind during the production of her first leading role in the theater production of Swan Lake. Natalie Portman gives the performance of the year as a very disturbed and sexually repressed young woman whose mother has simply pushed her too hard throughout her life.

4) Blue Valentine - One of the most realistic films I've seen cover the ups and downs of young love. This film explores relationships in the modern era and how most end up in the end. It's sad, but it's how it is and I applaud this film for having the balls to show reality rather than what the audience probably wanted, which was of course for Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams (both brilliant in this film) to end up happily ever after. But that's not how it is and this film doesn't sacrifice it's integrity to show you a false inclination to make you feel happy about it.

5) The Social Network - Look, I know this film is mostly horseshit, but man is it entertaining regardless of all the liberties it took with the "real" story. Jesse Eisenberg is simply awesome as the fast-talking inventor of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg. David Fincher did a great job too with the pacing and feel of the film over all. It's just a fascinating and fun movie to sit through.

6) The Man from Nowhere - Awesome South Korean flick about one of the most common plot points to revolve a film around: Ex-gangster wants to move on from his past and live a nice quiet life, but gets sucked back in. What separates this from all the others is the sweet relationship between the main character and the little girl for who he tries to save. You really find yourselves rooting for them, which just leads to an awesome thrill ride of an experience throughout the whole movie.

7) I'm Still Here - One of the greatest troll jobs ever done. The reason this film doesn't get more love is because people are still butthurt that they were fooled. But they absolutely were in this brilliant mockumentary about a famous actor trying to make the transition to become a rapper. The media and internet fell for it hook, line, and sinker, and refuse to acknowledge what a little masterpiece this is. At least, for the time being they do. I'm sure down the line it'll become more appreciated like Andy Kaufman did.

8) Winter's Bone - The lovely Jennifer Lawrence's breakout role as a young woman in the rural Ozarks who has the responsibility of the World of her shoulders since she's responsible for looking out for her mentally disabled mother, and her young brother and sister. The movie is very depressing, but it really gives you insight on how depressing the Ozarks can be for most people in that area. The general population love to shit on "white trash" while giving nothing but sympathy to blacks who grow up in poverty situations, but man... the people living in places like the Ozarks and fucking West Virginia have it very hard as well. Yeah, they're not offing each other in rapid numbers, but it's still a very sad and depressing existence. Anyway, this movie explores much more than that (LSN did a great job running it down), but ultimately it's setting is what makes it as powerful as it is.

9) I Saw the Devil - Really fucked-up South Korean film that was a bit over-the-top but had good reason to be. It's your typical revenge story... pregnant wife gets mindlessly murdered, distraught husband seeks revenge. The difference is this movie really makes you question the husband's actions since they're so violent and unforgiving. Normally in these movies you root for the husband no problem, but this guy goes so far for his vengeance that you find yourself questioning his vigilantly quest, something I never do in movies like this.

10) The Town - Ben Affleck's great follow-up to Gone Baby Gone about a couple of Charlestown (such a great setting for a film like this) thieves and one guy's journey to leave the crew. The movie would have been better with Casey Affleck in the lead role instead of Ben, lol, but Ben still a did a good job acting wise and he did a great job directing wise.

1. Black Swan- I was (and nothing has changed now) a big, BIG fan of Natalie Portman, and I was so happy to see her win an Oscar. I can't really add to anything Jmt's post, but Black Swan is an unforgettable Psychological thriller for me, because during certain parts it was hard to tell the difference between "reality" and the "it's all in her head" parts.

2. The Social Network- The biased David Fincher fan inside of me will always love The Game, but The Social Network is a top contender for Fincher's best film. Jesse Eisenberg is amazing, and I'm glad he was able to show off his range here by stepping out of the nerdy, shy, and uptight loser comfort zone. He was a dick here, and his performance finally put a stop to all the Michael Cera comparisons (I actually like Cera, but Esienberg is more talented, by far).

3. The Fighter- Christan Bale's performance is just superb. Wahlberg is good also, but he's upstaged by Bale, and it's not even close. Although, Amy Adams receiving so much praise for her performance kind of pissed me off, because Melissa Leo delivered the better performance by far. I know Leo eventually won the Oscar, but before that, with all praise Adams received, you would've thought she was the second coming of Meryl Streep or Cate Blanchett.

4. [Rec] 2- Other REC fans might disagree, but I still believe 2 is the best in the series so far (4 is shaping up to be a better film than that piece of shit REC 3). The terror, the gore,the suspense, the blood. Everything is A LOT more intense in the sequel, and the cliffhanger with Angela is just perfect. REC 2 is much, much better than most horror #2's (see Insidious Chapter 2 for a recent example), and that's saying something.

5. Blue Valentine- I can't add anything to Jmt's post.

6. Toy Story 3- I would give it a higher spot, but I've always felt picking the #1 Toy Story film isn't so easy. I believe the original, 2, and 3 are all legit contenders for the best film in the franchise, and it's more difficult to choose if watch all three films back to back.

7. Let Me In- 99.9% of the time, the remake is better than the original (especially for horror films), and nothing changes here. Still, Let Me In is one the rare remakes, where you watch the film without getting the feeling Hollywood is deliberately ripping of the original by producing a watered down version for a quick profit. No. Matt Reeves took his time to craft a respectable and satisfying remake, and Let Me In features one of the best (if not the best) performances you'll ever see from Chloe Grace Moretz.

8. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World- Amazing visuals, and SPVTW is just a whole lot of fun with some great laughs along the way. SPVTW is on a short list of films I can watch over and over again without getting tried of it, and for what it's worth, Mary Elizabeth Winstead is pretty damn good here, but you'll see her best career performance in Smashed.

9. Kick-Ass- Looking at the trailers, I was worried Nicolas Cage would ruin Kick-Ass. I was wrong, because Cage stole the show with the best performance here as Big Daddy/Damon Macready. Of course, Hit-Girl did wonders for Chloe Grace Moretz's career, but without Cage, I could easily picture Kick-Ass being much worse (especially when they put most of the focus on Mintz-Plasse's Red Mist). Kick-Ass is twisted fun with some good laughs, and lots of bloody and brutal action sequences. Plus, Mark Strong was a solid villain.

10. Piranha 3D- Piranha 3D promised a lot of over the top violence, gore, silliness, mayhem, nudity, and Piranha 3D didn't disappoint at all. Christopher Llyod and Ving Rhames are hilarious, and Piranha 3D is a great guilty pleasure.

I'll never forget watching Piranha 3D in theaters. The theater was PACKED, and a lot of parents brought their kids. Well, I guess the parents didn't do their research or watch the red band trailers online, because they obviously didn't expect a movie with so much female nudity and graphic, bloody gore. Throughout the entire movie, angry parents left with their kids, and by the time the finale rolled around, you could see so many empty seats in the theater. Something I'll never forget.

1. Blue Valentine - Probably the best film I have ever watched that is based on love. Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams star as Doug and Cindy and it shows them falling in love and then out of love. It's very realistic and an ending which is both heartbreaking and something you need you want to happen since it's best for the pair. Outstanding film.

2. The Town - Ben Affleck's second film as a director and another fantastic movie. Affleck creates a fantastic cast featuring the likes of Affleck himself, Rebecca Hall, Chris Cooper, Jon Hamm, Blake Lively and Jeremy Renner. It's one of my all time crime drama and features some thrilling action sequences. Renner proves once again how talented he actually is as the ass hole member of the group. Blake Lively is also pretty great too.

3. The Fighter - A superb boxing flick with some great performances all around. Wahlberg may be the lead, but Christian Bale is the star of the show and definitely deserves the Oscar for his portrayal of Dicky Ecklund. Melissa Leo and Amy Adams were both excellent.

4. The Social Network - If it wasn't for Seven, this would probably be my most watched David Fincher movie. Like jmt said, it may not be the best but it's entertaining as hell. Jesse Eisenberg was able to break out of his usual roles and is so entertaining as Mark Zuckerberg. Justin Timberlake wasn't total shit either. The cinematography is simply stunning.

5. Black Swan - A total mind fuck and the film that made me a huge fan of Daren Aronofsky. I can't really add more than what the other posters have put.

6. Inception - I LOVE the premise of this movie. Some people say it's hard to understand, but in reality it isn't. It's a great heist movie with a great ensemble cast featuring the likes of Leo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy, etc. It's packed with exciting actions sequences.

7. Shutter Island - Another fantastic collaboration between Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio. The film is tense and chilling throughout and had me on toes all throughout the duration of the film. I loved the twists and turns and the ending was truly sad.

8. Toy Story 3 - Like Mitch mentioned earlier, it's hard for me to decide which is the best Toy Story. For my money it is probably Toy Story 2 due to nostalgic reasons but I wouldn't argue if someone tried saying this one. The ending is one of the most humanized moments I've ever witnessed and is just flat out entertaining.

9. 127 Hours - The film where I realised that James Franco was actually pretty talented. The film is essentially focused on him throughout the course of the movie and if his performances was shit then it would've ruined the film. Thankfully Franco knocked it out the park and gave the performance of his career.

10. Buried A superb psychological thriller starring Ryan Reynolds. Reynolds plays a truck driver who is kidnapped and put into a coffin with only a handful of items to help him get out. Reynolds is actually pretty good in the movie and a bit like 127 Hours, it could've been ruined if he turned in a crappy performance. It features some nice twists and will keep you guessing until the end.

2011 In Review

Films Shown At the 2010 Cannes Film Festival

1. Drive: The humanization of Gosling's unnamed 'Driver' is the central theme of this excellent crime noire film. Gosling gives the best performance of his career as a stuntman and getaway driver with no attachments in the world, until he becomes close to his neighbor(Carey Mulligan), and her son. He then assists her husband recently released from prison in a heist, which backfires as he the husband ends up dead. Gosling's transformation as a loner to a protector is a beautiful one, as he selflessly stands up to impossible odds. Albert Brooks and Bryan Cranston are also good in supporting roles.

2. Midnight In Paris: As someone who is generally not a fan of Owen Wilson, I was blown away here. This was a JGlass recommendation,and one we discussed for days following. Wilson excels here in this Woody Allen film as a struggling writer who goes to France with his fiancee(Rachel McAdams) and her family, and ends up discovering a portal to the 1920's at midnight, where he meets literary greats such as F. Scott Fitzgerald and Gertrude Stein. It's a triumph in that it encourages viewers to enjoy the present and look to the future, acknowledging the flaws of the past. Rachel McAdams excels here as Wilson's nasty fiancee.

3. Take Shelter: Michael Shannon is excellent here as a man whose psyche unravels bit by bit, and goes to great lengths to protect his family. What makes this film work as a thriller/horror film is that the terror is not in what you can see, but in what you cannot, and Shannon is brilliant at portraying that sense of terror and foreboding. Jeff Nichols as director does a terrific job of a gradual build towards terror, and Jessica Chastain's nomination for Best Supporting Actress was well earned. A terrific thriller with a legit surprise to end the film. Excellent performances all around.

4. Moneyball: I'm sure I'll get some disagreement here, but I see this as the best baseball movie ever made. Brad Pitt and Jonah HIll are terrific in this movie based on a true story that looks at the 2002 Oakland A's, who broke the American League record for wins in a row by winning 20 consecutive. The film examines the unusual approach Pitt's Billy Beane took to assembling his team using Sabermetrics, and how despite a low payroll and the loss of several stars the team still found great success. Beane's relationship with his daughter is a nice sub-plot in the movie, and shows cracks in Beane's otherwise emotionless demeanor.

5. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: Daniel Craig may have gotten top billing, but this film belongs to Rooney Mara. She's fantastic as the emotionally and sexually damaged hacker who teams up with Craig to solve a cold case. The investigation and the unknown identity of the killer makes for a fascination thriller, but where this movie truly succeeds is in its interaction between Mara and Craig, whose chemistry is fantastic. David Fincher's direction of this remake is near flawless.

6. The Ledge:This independant, select release only film stars Charlie Hunnam of SOA fame, along with Liv Tyler, Terrance Howard and Patrick Wilson. Hunnam is an athiest who hires neighbor Tyler to clean at his hotel, but a relationship develops, despite Tyler's faith and marriage to devout Christian Patrick Wilson. The movie is told in flashback form as Hunnam is on the ledge of a 20 story building, set to jump at noon, with Terrance Howard trying to negotiate him down. The film reveals that Wilson had discovered the affair, and had instructed Hunnam to jump at noon, or Tyler dies. Tyler is utterly listless here for most of the movie and the only real drawback here, as the film explores the lengths of faith and love, and what people are willing to do in the name, or guise, of both. Both Howard and Hunnam are excellent here, and the ending will leave you both in disbelief, and talking about for some time.

7. Harry Potter and The Deathly Hollows: Part 2 The final installment of the Harry Potter series is the best one, one with a satisfying conclusion. As a rule, I tend to avoid such films, but the charm of Part 1 actually lead me to see this movie on opening night. The movie explores what we as people are capable of given the circumstance, but that choice is always there. It's a satisfying conclusion with Voldemort and Harry's final conversation, and Harry vanquishing Voldemort once and for all.

8. The Lincoln Lawyer: Matthew McConaghey is extremely charismatic here as a lawyer who practices mostly from his Lincoln Town Car. He receives the case of a lifetime when he's hired by Ryan Philippe to defend him against accusations that he beat up a prostitute. The closer he gets to the truth, the more danger it causes for he and his loved ones, as his daughter and ex-wife are threatened, and his P.I. is murdered. The twist at the end is a good one, and the movie concludes on a satisfying and hopeful note.

9. Bad Teacher: Cameron Diaz, Jason Segal and Justin Timberlake all deliver in this movie about a self-centered, alcoholic, pill popping teacher who is dumped by her rich fiancee and devises a scheme to improve her students grades in order to win a bonus that will pay for a breast enlargement for her. The premise is absolutely ridiculous, but it works because of the performances by Diaz, Segal, and Timberlake. It's a raunchy movie that is also funny, one that makes someone not in the know wonder if there are high school teacher's that are like Diaz. Diaz going from teaching to guidance counselor at the film's end is hilarious, as is her relationship with puritanical Timberlake and later, sarcastic gym teacher Segal. Far from perfect, but genuinely funny.

10. Insidious: James Wan and Leigh Wannell of the Saw films team up once again to make a genuinely frightening film. A family of 3 moves into a house only for the youngest son to fall into a coma with no explanation. The family investigates the past of the house and makes a genuinely terrifying discovery, and hires a psychic to help rid them of the presence in the house. It doesn't answer all the questions it asks, but it's genuinely scary and the look of horror on Rose Byrne's face as the movie closes is perfect.

I just want to start off by saying I think 2011 is the worst year in the history of film.

1) Drive - I can't add anything to LSN's description. Considering how poorly I think film was during the year 2011, we at least got this masterpiece from it.

2) 50/50 - I saw this when it first came out and loved it. I saw it again a couple of months ago and loved it even more. The passed year or so my mom has been going through cancer and in February had very scary surgery done so I can relate to the material now than I could before. Anyway, JGL knocks it out of the park as usual and Rogen gave one of the finest performances thus far in his career. Great movie.

3) Moneyball - Every baseball purist I know who I brought this film up to all bitched about it's authenticity, but I couldn't care less about that. This film is extremely entertaining and easily the best sports film there's been since the 90's.

4) The Descendents - George Clooney being George Clooney. He gave the performance of the year in this gem of a dramady about a man who finds out his coma-induced wife was having an affair before her accident. Shailene Woodley was also wonderful in this as Clooney's teenaged daughter.

5) The Flowers of War - Brutal flick set during Japan's rape of Nanking in 1937. Christian Bale stars as a drunk American in China during this time and poses as a priest to try and help save children (and prostitutes) who are stuck at their school/church. It can be very intense and disturbing at times, but also heartfelt and sweet at others.

6) Win Win - Paul Giamatti stars as a struggling lawyer and high school wrestling coach who takes in a troubled kid who turns out was a wrestling stud at his old school. It's a sweet and very realistic family film that was a joy to sit through.

7) Take Shelter - LSN nailed it.

8) J. Edgar - This is where the mediocre movies start rolling in. Leonardo DiCaprio gave an awesome performance here as J. Edgar and if I'm being honest his performance is the only reason I'm putting this on my list, since the film is otherwise pretty dull and a chore to sit through at nearly 3 hours long.

9) In Time - I'm just running out of options just like Timberlake was running out of time in this film. This movie is actually very smart at first,, but the third act was atrocious and the film basically just turned into your typical thriller. Still though, the first hour or so fucking rocked. This movie deserved a better ending.

10) Paul - Again, the options are very limited. I laughed out loud a few times during this so it makes the list for that reason alone.

1. Drive- I was ready to put Take Shelter at #1, but I completely forgot about Drive and a few other movies. Can't add anything to LSN's post.

2. Midnight In Paris- A great, great romantic comedy, and Midnight In Paris was a worthy candidate for winning a Best Picture Oscar. One of Woody Allen's best, and if you haven't seen it, you're missing something special.

3. 50/50- Honestly, I was shocked JGL did not receive an Oscar nomination for his performance here. The scene where JGL panics before the surgery, while pleading with his mother to wake him up is one of the most heartbreaking moments I've ever seen on film. And the scene where JGL completely loses it by locking himself inside the car, while screaming after he realizes Seth's character is just using him to pick up women is another great moment here.

4. Insidious- The sleeper hit of 2011, IMO. I EASILY dismissed Insidious as another generic haunting PG-13 horror film after the trailers. I was 100% wrong. Insidious features some of the most chilling moments you'll ever see, and the clever jump scares are just wonderful. There's a genuinely creepy feel behind Insidious, and as an example, there's one moment that sticks out in my mind. Rose Byrne is alone in the house, and through the baby monitor, she hears an unclear whisper. After a while, the whispers become louder with each passing second: "I want it", "I want it", "I want it!". Rose Byrne did a fantastic of freaking out, and the cast is rock solid here. Unfortunately, Insidious really falls apart in "The Further" at the end, because the other worldly bullshit kills the momentum here. But to make up for the garbage in The Further, Insidious 2 delivers the PERFECT cliffhanger.

A shame Chapter 2 had to be such a disappointment. Caught a grainy version of it a little while ago, and I came to the conclusion I was being too generous with my 5/10 rating.

5. Take Shelter- I can't add anything to LSN's post.

6. Moneyball- Jonah Hill's best performance to date, and I still believe Moneyball is one of the best sports films ever made.

7. Source Code- A slick and unique sci-fi thriller with Jake Gyllenhaal in top form, and Michelle Mongahan isn't bad either. Source Code is like Groundhog Day's day with time travel, and yeah, you'll notice the preposterous plot holes, but it's still a fun film. Although, my big gripe with Source Code is the corny and cliched love story between Gyllenhaal and Mongahan they stuck in here halfway through the film. You can see it coming from a mile away as it develops, but it still pissed me off regardless.

8. In Time- Seyfried and Timberlake shared some good chemistry as a Bonnie and Clyde duo. Although, In Time could've been (and to be frank, SHOULD'VE) been a better film. An intriguing premise is squandered, and the "We're running out of time!" dilemma towards the end didn't make any sense at all. Stupid stuff.

9. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2- I wasn't the biggest fan of Part 1, but Part 2 provided one of the most satisfying finales for any film series I've ever seen. The final shot with Harry, Ron, and Hermione standing together at the train station is just perfect. It's a simplistic but powerful image, because you remember the hell they went through as friends, refusing to give up on each other. The fight to survive, deaths, close-calls. To see Harry, Ron, and Hermione standing together as matured adults is an image that's burnt in my memory, and I'll never forget it.

10. The Adjustment Bureau- Another disappointing film that squandered an intriguing premise. Strange, but in a lot of ways, The Adjustment Bureau reminds me of Dark City, with more focus on the love story. But I can't ignore the superb chemistry between Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. The Adjustment Bureau is loaded with problems, but I was hooked in until the very end during Damon's fight to be with Elise (Blunt).

1. Shame - Steve McQueen's masterpiece starring Michael Fassbender as Brandon, a successful middle aged guy who is harbouring a deep sexual addiction. The film focuses on his life spiralling out of control due to his hypersexuality and his relationship with his sister played by the fantastic Carey Mulligan. The film is extremely tough to watch and honestly, I doubt that I will ever be able to watch it again, but I'm glad I was able to watch this outstanding movie at least once. Michael Fassbender deserved an Oscar nomination for his performance.

2. Drive - LSN nailed it, it's superb.

3. Midnight in Paris - A superb Rom Com with one of the most original premises I can remember. I stumbled upon this randomly whilst flicking through the movie channels and since Owen Wilson was in it I thought I would watch it all. I am so glad I did. The film is delightfully charming and one of Woody Allen's best.

4. Moneyball - A fantastic sports movie with some great performances from both Jonah Hill and Brad Pitt. Both guys deserved their Oscar nominations and the film is a joy to watch.

5. The Descendants - Another highly entertaining film with George Clooney's best performance to date and probably his second best movie. The film follows all of Clooney's characters troubles and I became invested in not only him, but also his family.

6. Take Shelter - LSN said it better than I ever could.

7. Young Adult - My favourite Jason Reitman picture starring Charlize Theron as the lead. Theron plays Mavis a once successful ghost writer who after receiving an email from an old flame, goes back to her home town. After watching this the first time, I wasn't sure what to think, but I've developed an appreciation for how wonderful it is. The film is very dark especially for a comedy and there are plenty of laughs, although they are quite awkward. Theron is great in it and Reitman provides a wonderful character study with this film.

8. X-Men: First Class - My favourite X-Men movie and a great way to rejuvenate the franchise. McAvoy and Fassbender were fantastic choices for Xavier and Magneto and the entire movie is very, very enjoyable. The film has it's flaws but it's an awesome prequel to the previous entries with some highly entertaining action sequences and a stellar cast.

9. Crazy, Stupid, Love - If it wasn't for Midnight In Paris, this may be have been my favourite romantic comedy. Steve Carell stars as Carl Weaver who's marriage ends abruptly after finding out his wife (Julianne Moore) has cheated on him. After moving out he attends a bar night after night in hope that he'll forget his troubles. Here he finds Jacob, played by the magnificent Ryan Gosling. Jacob teaches Carell how to pick up women which changes Carl's life forever. The chemistry between Carell and Gosling is unbelievably good and lends itself to some very funny scenes; The garden scene is one of the funniest things I have ever watched. Emma Stone, Julianne Moore, Kevin Bacon and Marissa Tomei round out this stellar cast.

10. Warrior - A sports film based around MMA starring Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton as two brothers who end up in a mixed martial arts tournament together. The films fight scenes are where the film truly shines and the end fight is simply phenomenal with the film managing to somehow conflict me with who I wanted to win.

2012 In Review

Films Shown At the 2011 Cannes Film Festival

Roger Ebert's Ten Best Films of 2012
1. Argo
2. Life of Pi
3. Lincoln
4. End of Watch
5. Arbitrage
6. Flight
7. The Sessions
8. Beasts of The Southern Wild
9. Oslo, August 31
10. A Simple Life

1.Silver Linings Playbook: I mentioned Jennifer Lawrence's work in Winter's Bone as the best of her career, and I stand behind that. However, her turn here as Tiffany, a young, emotionally damaged widow was deserving of her Oscar as Best Actress. Bradley Cooper was just as good as bi-polar Pat, a teacher recently released from a mental institution who is determined to win back his estranged wife, despite her previous infidelity. The growth and maturity of both Pat and Tiffany as they rely on the other, despite deep flaws, is a fascinating watch. It's a volatile fick in the best way possible, both dark comedy and romantic at the same time. It was a risky endeavor, especially with the exploration of mental illness, but SLP pulls it of in a near flawless fashion. Pat's dysfunctional family, lead by the extremely superstitious Robert DeNiro, only adds to the films engaging volatility. A success in every way.

2.Looper: 2012 was the year Joseph-Gordon Levitt truly broke out as a leading man(more on this later), and his performance as Joe, a drug addicted mob cleaner showed exactly why. The biggest praise I can heap on Looper, however, is it's originality. In a current day world where most futuristic films share many of the same themes, Looper breaks that pattern. For me, it's the best sci-fi thriller since Twelve Monkeys, and Emily Blunt shines here as well. The 'closing the loop' theme was well done, and the ultimate sacrifice of a previously self-indulgent individual in Joe shows his growth, and, thanks to Emily Blunt and her son, his ability to care about someone more than himself. A great sci-fi/drama/thriller.

3.The Avengers: Yeah, it's one of the most heavily hyped and widely seen movies of all-time, but it does a fair job of justifying the hype. Loki was a great choice as the original villian, formidable, but not one that can't be topped in future installments. The clash of egos between Iron-Man and Thor showed that the movie didn't take itself too seriously, and showed some genuine humor in the Iron-Man vein. And when the Avengers truly united as one force, it was a spectacle to behold. The bar has been set highly for the upcoming sequels.

4.The Dark Knight Rises: As with The Avengers, this one is almost as successful at living up to its immense hype. Bane isn't Ledger's Joker, but he does a fantastic job of playing a formidable villian to Bale's Batman. It's a satisfying ending to the trilogy, and opens the door, should Christopher Nolan choose to explore it, for a future film with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Robin. Anne Hathaway is easily the best Catwoman, an excellent anti-hero, and the film provided a satisfying and legitimately shocking twist that smartly ties in elements from the first film. Fun and engaging throughout.

5. Argo: The previously much maligned Ben Affleck has shown himself to be one of the best directors of today, and Argo again shows why. It's a shame he wasn't even nominated here as Best Director, but I suppose the Academy made up for it with that best picture nod. It's as funny at times as it is tense, but where the movie truly triumphs is that it allowed for me to invest in the rescue of each hostage, as they were portrayed as unique individuals, and not simply part of a group. Best film of the year? Nah. Still darn good.

6. Zero Dark Thirty:Kathryn Bigelow delivers again in a war movie in a similar vein as The Hurt Locker, in that its central character is obsessed with her mission. In this film, it's a CIA officer played by Jessica Chastain, who has spent her entire career trying to pinpoint the location of Osama Bin Laden. After complications, interrogations, and disputes, Chastain essentially risks her career by saying with 100% certainty that she has found Bin Laden's location. As she is proven correct and Bin Laden is found and killed, Chastain confirms that the body is indeed Bin Laden. As she leaves the site by helicopter she begins to weep, which indicated to me that the focal point of her life is now over. This again brings back memories of The Hurt Locker, where Jeremy Renner's character was discontent at home with wife and son, and only found peace at war. Here, Chastain's driving force in life is now over, and she finds herself aimless. Rightfully so, this earned Chastain a nomination for Best Actress.

7. Jeff, Who Lives at Home: Jason Segal isn't as good here as he is in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but its his quirky charm that drives this movie. Jeff is a slacker who, well, lives at home, and lacking ambition, he looks to the "Universe" instead for clues to his future. Mark Duplass the actor is the backbone of my favorite TV comedy The League,and he shows his diversity here as co-director with his brother. Ed Helms is perhaps the films brightest spot, as he plays Jeff's equally screwed up brother, who is on the surface successful but mired in a miserable marriage(with a solid as usual Judy Greer). The two play off each other in great fashion, and Susan Sarandon is equally good as their depressed, widowed mother. Each finds something good in different ways by films end, and it does so in a surprisingly realistic and personal fashion.

8. Ted:I've always been ambivalent to Seth McFarlane, and certainly not a fan. However, I enjoyed the heck out of Ted. It's as raunchy a film as I saw in 2012, but it was equally funny as well. Mark Wahlberg shows consistent comedy chops that, for me, were few and far between in previous endeavor The Other Guys. Mila Kunis is perfectly cast as Mark's fiancee who is fed up with Ted seemingly being more important to Mark than her. I laughed consistently throughout, and while the film breaks no new ground, it has a surprising heart at times beyond its raunchy elements.

9. Premium Rush:As I said earlier, a breakout year for Joseph Gordon-Levitt, he with three films on my list, two in leading roles. I didn't have much expectation heading into this film, I simply went to see it with my dad. An avid biker whom I bike with at times, my dad wanted to see it badly, simply because it was a "bike movie." It was much more than that, and I enjoyed the way the movie unfolded with its flashbacks and flashing ahead. The plot breaks no new ground, but it's thicker than I expected it to be. Michael Shannon, who broke out in 2011's Take Shelter, delivers a strong performance as well as the film's antagonist.

10. Les Miserables: Attempts to avoid this were thwarted by my wife, but I can say she was right on this one. It's an impressive story of obsession, guilt, and redemption, and while I'd be usually remiss of an Oscar going to an actress with such a shortened role, Anne Hathaway was outstanding here. Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe alike blew me away here with their vocal abilities, and the often opposing vantage points of legal and moral obligations drive both the pursued Valjean and pursuer Javert throughout. It has its flaws, as it's far too long, but those are few and far between. It's a deviation from the norm for me, and an enjoyable one at that.

I had a blast with this, and thank TDigle for allowing me to continue what he started, and to JMT, Mitch, and TLC for making this worth it with their consistent contributions and, as expected, their excellent observations. 2013 is almost over, so I'll revive this at the appropriate time. :)

1. The Cabin In The Woods- A total mind-fuck from beginning to end, and the puzzling story is loaded with shocking curveballs. Tons of nasty bloody gore, excellent cast, and the over the top and ridiculous finale is just perfect. The Cabin In The Woods is horror satire gold, and if you haven't seen this film, you're missing something special.

2. Silver Linings Playbook- I'll admit, I didn't see the big deal with SLP at first, but it really grew on me after two or three more viewings. Can't add anything to LSN's post

3. End Of Watch- End Of Watch is an exciting and brutal action/crime drama. The violence is pretty graphic and bloody, and the suspenseful and pulse-pounding finale packs a powerful punch. It’s definitely one of the better mainstream cop dramas I’ve seen over the years. A strong cast combined with David Ayer’s directing and writing help End Of Watch standout, and the shocking surprise at the end was a nice touch, because the “tragic deaths” stuff would’ve been too melodramatic and corny. Plus, the leading performances from Gyllenhal and Pena are just fantastic, and Anna Kendrick is pretty good as Gyllenhal's girlfriend/fiance.

4. Looper- The trailers killed this film. Looper should've had a bigger run at the box office, but the trailers were just terrible. A sleek, thought-provoking, smart, and suspenseful sci-fi thriller/drama, Looper is a truly a unique film with a damn good performance form JGL in the leading role. Willis isn't half bad, and Emily Blunt delivers one of her better performances here.

5. The Avengers- It's not easy to live up to the hype, and The Avengers had an enormous hype train behind it. Hard to add anything to LSN's post.

6. Argo- I still can't believe Ben didn't receive an Oscar nomination for Best Director, but Ang Lee's work on Life Of Pi gave Ben some tough, tough competition. And Steven Spielberg is....well Steven Spielberg. I didn't mind the Best Picture award, because I was afraid the Academy would go with Lincoln (Daniel Day Lewis is great, but Lincoln is excruciatingly boring). I'll remember Argo for providing one of the most tense and suspenseful finales I've ever seen, and the cast is excellent.

7. The Dark Knight Rises- The giant plot holes still annoy me (how, HOW did Bruce find his way back to Gotham after Bane dropped him in the underground prison? Batman escaping the blast from the bomb at the end was impossible, but Bruce shows up again without a scratch?), but TDKR was a satisfying conclusion to Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. Hardy was a good villain with a commanding presence, but Anne Hathaway stole the show with a smooth, sexy, and mischievous performance as Catwoman/Selena Kyle.

8. Jeff, Who Lives At Home- LSN nailed it.

9. Sinister- Ethan Hawke plays a struggling and desperate true-crime novelist, who's looking for his next hit book. For inspiration, Ellison (Hawke), unbeknownst to his family, moves into a house, where a series of brutal murders occurred. Here, Ellison unknowingly unleashes an evil entity known as Bagul (Or Mr. Boogie).

With the exception of the bloody finale, director Scott Derrickson takes a restrained approach to the gory stuff here. The restrained approach creates more terror and shock, because instead of seeing endless piles of blood and guts, Derrickson gives the audience the idea of gruesomeness, and he pulls the plug at the right moment. For example, Ellison watches a murder that involves a lawnmower. The killer quietly pushes the lawnmower across the yard, and then BAM! He or she ploughs the lawnmower across a helpless victim’s face. But Derrickson just shows the initial contact, not the bloody aftermath. This approach leaves you with that “holy shit that must’ve been brutal!” feeling.

Sinister isn't an original horror film (and some will hate the ending), but it's got enough chills and demonic twists to hold your attention.

10. Underworld: Awakening- Beckinsale returns to top form as Selene, and I still believe Awakening is the best film in the franchise. Lots of thrilling, hardcore bloody action, the 3D effects were superb, and introducing Eve (Selene & Michael's hybrid daughter) was a good move, because if Beckinsale doesn't return for another Underworld film, there's someone else to take her place as the primary protagonist.

1) The Avengers - Blew me away. I love Joss Whedon, but never did I think I'd love The Avengers as much as I ended up doing so. I loved the first Iron Man, but I thought Iron Man 2 was a disappointment, and that Thor and Captain America were both overrated. However, The Avengers was perfect. The chemistry between the characters was spectacular, and the action itself had some of the most fun, creative, and thrilling sequences I've ever seen in any action flick. This is right up there with The Dark Knight as the greatest comic book movie ever made.

2) Silver Linings Playbook - Very sweet and engaging flick that reminded me of Jerry McGuire in the rare way that both men and women should equally love it. Jennifer Lawrence gave the performance of the year as a blunt, potty mouth, tell-it-like-it-is young woman who's still grieving over the sudden loss of her husband. Bradley Cooper also shows what he's made of in giving by far the best performance of his career. And Robert De Niro delivers his best performance since Heat. The acting all around is awesome and makes the film as special as it is, but the story is also great and you simply feel good after watching this.

3) 21 Jump Street - This surprised me as much as The Avengers. Like I said about Joss Whedon... I love Jonah Hill, but never in a million years did I think a modern-day 21 Jump Street film would ever actually work. But Hill nailed it and it's fucking hilarious and a blast to sit through, no matter how many times you see it. Channing Tatum was also terrific and I still can't believe he gave such a flawless comedic performance.

4) The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Another surprise. I'd go as far as to say The Perks of Being a Wallflower is the best teen drama film since the 90's. Of course, it being set in the 90's is a huge reason why, since any teenage movie set in the last 10 years forces their ******ed characters to keep their heads buried in their fucking cellphones all throughout the movie to equal real life. But yeah... great, touching movie where Emma Watson definitely showed she's quite the talent.

5) Looper - This was the year of surprises because I FOR SURE thought I was going to despise this. In fact, if it weren't for Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I would have never given the film a shot to begin with. I don't like Bruce Willis and I thought the premise was silly as hell (especially since it's impossible to imagine JGL growing up to be Bruce fucking Willis), but man... this movie had CRAZY twists and turns, and turned out to be nothing like the trailers suggested. I really, really dug it.

6) Jeff, Who Lives at Home - Easily the best film shot and set in my city since Sex, Lives and Videotape. And it starred none other than my favorite comedic actor working today, Jason Segel, who knocked yet another one out of the fucking park as a stoner who refuses to get his life together and grow up. This film is American Indy filmmaking at its finest.

7) The Cabin in the Woods - Can a movie be more creative and imaginative? I don't really think so. And the ending? Holy shit, that took some balls to pull off, but what do you expect from a Joss Whedon production?

8) Argo - No need to really get into it; this film won the Oscar for Best Picture so everyone knows about it and how good it is. I do think it's a tad overrated, but it's still undoubtedly one of the year's best.

9) Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - Beautiful film about two strangers (played wonderfully by both Steve Carrell and Keira Knightley) who decide to spend their last days on Earth together. This film is incredibly sweet, funny, and heartbreaking. You can't help but love the two main characters and root for them to come at peace with their situation.

10) The Dark Knight Rises/The Master - Both these movies honestly ended up disappointing the shit out of me, only adding to 2012 being the year of surprises for me, but I still liked them enough to throw them a bone and include them here. The Dark Knight Rises is riddled with plot holes and sillyness, while The Master can be incredibly dull at times. But The Dark Knight Rises is still a fun cinematic experience the first time you sit through it, and The Master had Joaquin Phoenix giving one of the year's best performances.

1. Argo - Ben Affleck's third film as director and once again he hit a home run. The film is one of the most thrilling films I've seen this year and managed to do it without shoot outs or car chases. The film is made exciting through the excelled dialogue and superb performances. A wonderful film with a great cast, easily my number 1.

2. End of Watch - The best cop film I've seen for a long, long time. Jake Gyllenhall and Michael Pena playing two cops who are the best of friends. The film is filled with humour, emotion and has one of the most brutal, heart breaking endings I've seen for a long time. A brilliant film.

3. Flight - Denzel Washington is back in top form, playing an alcoholic pilot. Not only does it have one of the most terrifying plane crashes ever produced, but it's filled with drama and Denzel Washing is absolutely fantastic.

4. Silver Linings Playbook - I can't really add more to what the others have said. The film is very likeable and it is filled with superb performances from the entire cast.

5. Django Unchained - Though Django is no where near as good as some of Quentin's previous works, I still really enjoyed Django. Leonardo DiCaprio and Sam Jackson completely own the film with their performances and some of the scenes are both hilarious and memorable. Foxx and Waltz were both good, but I disagreed with Waltz's Oscar win since Leo was better than him.

6. Zero Dark Thirty - LSN completely nailed it with his post. Chastain was wonderful and in my opinion she edged out Lawrence for the best performance of the year.

7. The Avengers - A highly entertaining film which was worth the wait. With Iron Man being the exception, the rest of Marvel Phase 1 films were either shit or lackluster so Whedon needed to make this one a hit and my God he knocked this out the park. It's filled with fantastic action, some genuine humour, solid performances and unbelievable chemistry between the cast.

8. 21 Jump Street - A film that I didn't despise Channing Tatum in; that's how good it was. The film is filled with some great humour, fun action and is all around a fun film to watch. The part where they're tripping is the highlight of the film.

9. Skyfall - The best Bond film ever made. I loved the darker tone they used for the film and Javier Bardem's performance as the sinister antagonist was mesmerizing.

10. Chronicle - Putting a new spin on the found footage genre, this film felt very fresh and I had a good time with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back