2016 In Film

Here are the current highest grossing films so far for 2016....

1. Deadpool
$745,974,060

2. Zootopia
$696,747,409

3. The Mermaid
$539,284,483

4. Kung Fu Panda 3
$432,141,773

5. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
$424,100,000

6. The Monkey King 2
$193,761,864

7. From Vegas to Macau III
$182,581,250

8. Gods of Egypt
$132,582,369

9. Ride Along 2
$121,451,811

10. The Divergent Series: Allegiant
$118,405,496

Zootopia is catching up to Deadpool and might even pass it. Batman V Superman should also see a big increase by next week. I'm surprised it isn't already in the #1 spot, but I predict it is in one week and that it would hold the #1 spot at least until Captain America: Civil War is released in May . Three new films are coming this week.

Upcoming releases:
3/30: Everybody Wants Some!!
4/1: God's Not Dead 2
4/1: Meet the Blacks

The Divergent Series: Allegiant- 5/10

With the way things are going, an apathetic reaction is the best I can do for the Divergent films. Allegiant isn’t a terrible film. It’s passable at best, but we’re three films into the series now, and it’s almost impossible to ignore the monotony. After Allegiant, I just have the feeling of watching the same film over and over again, and if we’re talking about overall quality and picking the best film in the series so far, I’ll go with Insurgent, but it’s not a definitive choice.

Allegiant doesn’t feature one memorable moment, fight scene, or action sequence, and the grand finale is underwhelming. Jeff Daniels doesn’t add anything to the film as the new antagonist. The Divergent Series is developing a bad habit of turning good or reliable actresses (i.e. Kate Winslet) and actors into dull and boring antagonists, and unfortunately Jeff Daniels continues the trend as David.

Three films into the series, and it’s safe to say The Divergent Series peaked after Insurgent. Again, Allegiant isn’t an atrocious film, and Miles Teller’s cocky jerk routine is still entertaining. But Allegiant is just there, and the third entry is nothing to write home about. Hopefully, Shailene Woodley (one of the more consistent and positive attributes in the series) moves on to something else after the final film. The series is at a standstill with no real momentum, and barring some miraculous surprise for the big finale, there’s a good chance The Divergent Series will be remembered as another so-so or just average YA adaptation series.

I Saw The Light- 3/10

I’m not a country music expert by any means, and I’m only familiar with a handful of songs, but I wanted to take a chance on I Saw The Light after I caught the trailer during another movie at the theater.

I Saw The Light shows signs of promise during Tom Hiddleston and Elizabeth Olsen’s scenes together, but overall, the excellent chemistry between the two and a pair of good performances from Hiddleston and Olsen aren’t enough to save this one. At some point, you know the inevitable “rise and fall” stages in the film are coming, but I Saw The Light falls into a slump, and the film never recovers, as alcohol, cigarettes, and other vices consume Hank Williams. Hiddleston’s charisma is undeniable, and he has a strong screen presence, but I Saw The Light slowly devolves into a bland and paint-by-numbers biopic.

The Upcoming Weekend

Batman VS Superman: Dawn Of Justice is a lock to repeat at #1 in the week to week charts, and the movie currently sits at $538,172,793 for the worldwide total. As Jack-Hammer pointed out, Warner Bros. is probably disappointed, if they we’re counting on Dawn Of Justice to crush major box office records, but when it’s all said and done, Dawn Of Justice will have a successful run at the box office.

Also, I know Captain America: Civil War’s release is right around the corner, but Dawn Of Justice should have a realistic shot at grabbing the #1 spot in the top ten for 2016’s worldwide rankings. Personally, I was genuinely surprised by the wave of negative reviews for Dawn Of Justice. I was sure Dawn Of Justice would start out in the 75%-80% range on Rotten Tomatoes, but DOJ currently holds a 29%.

Meet The Blacks could be an OKAY spoof comedy, but going by the trailers and all the promotional material, it looks like the movie will rely on one long running joke. I have no interest in God’s Not Dead 2, and I never took the time to watch the original film. The trailer for the first film was one of the worst trailers I’ve ever seen, so I immediately dismissed the movie as a piece of shit. And I'm a big fan of nostalgic coming-of-age 80's films, so Everybody Wants Some!! is definitely on my must-see list.

Eye In The Sky- 8/10

A tense and suspenseful thriller, the calculated pacing really works, and Eye In The Sky is loaded with a number of believable close calls. Eye In The Sky did a good job of hooking me in and holding my attention during the lengthy back and forth debates about morality, ethics, and winning the PR battle throughout the movie, and the cast delivers from top to bottom with a good set of solid performances from Helen Mirren, Aaron Paul, Alan Rickman, Iain Glen, and others.

Meet The Blacks-4/10

Eh, Meet The Blacks deserves some credit for doing a good job of parodying the original Purge film for the most part, and the spoofs for certain scenes from the original film are spot on. Still, the humor and the jokes for Meet The Blacks are really hit and miss, and you can only pull so many laughs out of the irony, irregularities, or the rare occurrences for a "black family living in the suburbs" formula.

Yeah, I know Meet The Blacks is supposed to be a stupid and over the top comedy, but it’s hard to laugh, when they repeat the same formula from start to finish. With all that said, I’ll give the movie a bonus point for poking fun at the cliches in horror films, and the little kid playing Mike Epps’ son trying to provide a step by step survival guide after explaining what happened to Laurie Strode in Halloween and other protagonists in other slasher or horror films.

The Upcoming Weekend

The current worldwide total for Batman VS Superman: Dawn Of Justice sits at $720,829,382. The Boss starring Melissa McCarthy is the only new release with a somewhat realistic chance of giving Dawn Of Justice some real competition in the week to week charts, but when it’s all said and done, Dawn Of Justice should repeat at #1.

The trailers for The Boss are decent enough, and if we’re talking about films starring McCarthy, it’s almost impossible for anything to be as bad as Tammy, but The Boss looks like another disposable and forgettable comedy. The Boss should turn a respectable profit during its theatrical run, and it’ll be interesting to see if McCarthy’s drawing power is enough to overcome an early wave of negative reviews and negative feedback (The Boss currently holds and 18% on Rotten Tomatoes).

And Hardcore Henry is finally here! I’ve been waiting on Hardcore Henry for a while now, and HH holds a 49% on RT, but I’ll keep my fingers crossed for a fun action flick. Demolition? I dunno. I’m a fan of Jake Gyllenhaal as an actor, but the trailers for Demolition are really boring. Nothing in the trailers for Demolition grabs my attention to the point, where I’m convinced I NEED to see this movie. Not for the story, the possibility of a good or great performance from Gyllenhaal, Naomi Watts, or Chris Cooper. Nothing. I might give it a chance sooner or later before it’s gone, but I’m not 100% sold right now.

Upcoming releases:

4/8: The Boss
4/8: Hardcore Henry
4/8: Demolition (limited)
4/8: The Invitation (limited)

Here are the current highest grossing films of 2016....

1. Zootopia
$852,512,482

2. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
$783,485,542

3. Deadpool
$755,750,859

4. The Mermaid
$552,518,020

5. Kung Fu Panda 3
$483,702,765

6. The Monkey King 2
$194,058,503

7. From Vegas to Macau III
$182,581,250

8. London Has Fallen
$153,165,774

9. The Divergent Series: Allegiant
$141,414,041

10. Gods of Egypt
$134,942,400

Zootopia made it to the top as the #1 film of the year so far, with Batman v Superman and Deadpool not far behind it. Four new films will be released this week. One of which is a remake of The Jungle Book. Seems like far too many films are getting remade, although that one might be good.

Upcoming releases:
4/15: Barbershop: The Next Cut
4/15: Criminal
4/15: Criminal
4/15: The Jungle Book (2016)

The current highest grossing films for 2016 are....

1. Zootopia
$882,278,756

2. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
$827,311,730

3. Deadpool
$758,591,423

4. The Mermaid
$552,518,020

5. Kung Fu Panda 3
$496,676,872

6. The Jungle Book
$290,967,000

7. The Monkey King 2
$193,677,158

8. From Vegas to Macau III
$182,581,250

9. London Has Fallen
$160,338,681

$148,155,723

Not much changed this week other than The Jungle Book joining the top ten. Zootopia's on its way to 900,000,000. It's currently the 9th highest grossing animated film ever. Two new films will be released this week. "The Huntsman: Winter's War" looks like it should be pretty good. The previous film in that series "Snow White and the Huntsman" was good so it may be worth a look. I predict it makes it to #6 or so.

Upcoming releases:
4/22: Elvis & Nixon
4/22: The Huntsman: Winter's War

Hello, My Name Is Doris-5/10

Hello, My Name Is Doris is an acceptable romantic comedy/drama film, featuring some feel-good moments and scenes (towards the end, when Doris decides to turn her life around and change), but Sally Field’s performance is the driving force behind HMNID. Doris is this eccentric old lady, who’s desperately looking for a spark in her life before it‘s too late, and Field really delivers with believable vulnerability and she does a good job with the “sweet and innocent old lady” act.

The majority of the reviews for HMNID are favorable and positive, and this is just a conspiracy theory on my part, but there’s a chance HMNID’s status as a low budget indie film is playing a part in the complimentary reviews from critics (Hello, My Name Is Doris holds an 82% on Rotten Tomatoes). Sorry, but I’m not going to rule out the possibility of more critics completely trashing HMNID with complaints about a cliched, formulaic, and predictable rom-com, If HMNID was a more high profiled Hollywood film with a bigger budget and a few more big name stars.

I don’t have any real complaints about HMNID, because I enjoyed it. But when you strip the movie down to its core, HMNID is just an average rom-com about an elderly main character, who’s going through a mid-life crisis, with a good performance from Sally Field. And you can easily predict all the ups and downs and the moments, where Doris realizes she needs to change during her “it’s now or never” journey.

Midnight Special-4/10

A lot of mixed feelings for this one. Midnight Special should be a 10/10 or a five star worthy film, but I can’t go with a perfect score. Midnight Special presents an intriguing and thought-provoking mystery, but when it’s all said and done, I just can’t ignore the laundry list of unanswered questions.

What is the event supposed to be about? What’s so special about the time and place, where the event is supposed to happen? Is Alton (the little boy) is a savior? A guardian? Why is the religious cult obsessed with capturing Alton? During Sam Shepard’s (playing the leader of the religious cult) interview with the FBI, he said something along the lines of “Alton will keep us safe, when it happens,” but that’s it. They don’t reveal any real details, and as the story progresses, the cult’s motivations and their reasons for wanting Alton are low on Midnight Special‘s list of priorities, and to take it a step further, Jeff Nichols (the writer and director) completely drops or seemingly forgets about the sub-plot involving the cult.

If I’m drawing comparisons to another Nichols/Michael Shannon collaboration, Take Shelter actually answers questions. Throughout the film, Shannon’s character has visions of an approaching apocalyptic storm, and he’s falling apart, because he’s not sure if there’s some truth to his visions, or if he’s losing his mind. Well, guess what happens during the final moments of the movie? You actually see the storm, as Shannon, Jessica Chastain, and the little girl playing his daughter are on the beach. Midnight Special? Well, if you’re looking for definitive answers, you’ll have to settle for vague “maybe or maybe not” confirmations.

Midnight Special’s thrills are limited to a repetitive hide, drive, and chase “on the run” formula, but the movie features a good amount of awe-inspiring visuals, and Midnight Special has a strong sense of wonder. On top of that, Michael Shannon, Kirsten Dunst, Joel Edgerton, Jaeden Lieberher (Alton), Adam Driver, and others all deliver solid and strong performances. Midnight Special is an entertaining and engrossing sci-fi drama. Although, throughout the movie, you get the feeling they’re building towards some big, earth-shattering revelation (or revelations), so the ambiguous ending was a big letdown for me.

Batman VS Superman: Dawn Of Justice (in 3D!)-6/10

After all the unjustified and whiny complaints about the casting choices before the first set of trailers or any footage was released, I’m glad the main cast delivered to erase any doubts for the future. Ben Affleck has to be a top choice for the best version of Bruce Wayne/Batman, and Jesse Eisenberg played an entertaining villain. He really nailed the unhinged and zany megalomaniac persona, and Eisenberg’s crazed speech before Doomsday’s release is easily one of the highpoints in the movie.

“Gal Gadot from the Fast & Furious films? She’s a model, and her looks go against everything Wonder Woman is supposed to represent and stand for! Bullshit! She’s a terrible choice!” Gadot has a magnetic presence during Diana’s brief screen time, and if the final battle is a sign of things to come, Wonder Woman has a bright future under Gadot. Also, it’s a shame Jeremy Iron’s screen time is limited to sporadic appearances, but for obvious reasons, a lack of Alfred throughout Dawn Of Justice is no real surprise.

Overall, Dawn Of Justice was kind of hit-and-miss for me. I understand every superhero film doesn’t have to follow the Marvel blueprint, but Dawn Of Justice’s scenes of brooding melodrama at certain points in the film were too much for me. Still, it’s easy to think of a few reasons to be optimistic with the solo Wonder Woman film, the solo Batman film, and Batman’s role in Suicide Squad coming up. It’s true Dawn Of Justice took a noticeable dive at the Box Office after the first week, but the current total sits at $834,481,486, and that’s nothing to be ashamed of.

If we’re talking about the overwhelming negative reviews, Dawn Of Justice is nowhere near as bad as some reviews are making it out to be. Yeah, it’s safe to say the bad reviews and word of mouth played a part in Dawn Of Justice’s box office numbers taking a hit, but Dawn Of Justice living up to all the hype or the full enormity of Batman and Superman squaring off in the same film would’ve been damn near impossible. Looking at all the promotional material, including the trailers, it’s obvious the powers that be were hoping for a historic box office run and a hefty amount of broken records, with the novelty of Superman and Batman in the same film for the first time, but you have to believe the lack of real teasing, any momentum, and no set up film to build on hurt any chances of an unprecedented box office run.

Hardcore Henry-5/10

I guess I’ll drop this one into the guilty pleasure bin…….for now. Honestly, when the time comes, Hardcore Henry is one of those films I’m uneasy about watching for a second time, because the current rating could drop to a 3/10 or a 2/10.

The characters in Hardcore Henry are one-dimensional and bland (for the most part), and Danila Kozlovsky’s Akan (the main villain) is too kooky and corny, so it's hard to take him seriously as this lethal and sadistic badass. To add to that, the first-person POV loses its wow-factor after the first twenty minutes or so. Also, Henry doesn’t speak throughout the film. There’s an explanation for Henry not having any spoken dialogue (the baddies break into the laboratory before the scientists have a chance to configure and build Henry’s voice system), but come on now, he could’ve said something as a kid during the flashbacks.

Yes, you could say Hardcore Henry is too gimmicky, the big reveals for two twists during the finale are kind of underwhelming, and the movie eventually devolves into a repetitive “run, chase, fight, kill, repeat” formula, but it‘s a fun ride to the end. I’m a sucker for bloody violence and graphic gore, and Hardcore Henry is LOADED with bloody mayhem, as heads and other body parts explode, and as Henry literally rips off limbs, breaks limbs, and as he rips out various organs.

Hardcore Henry is an over the top action film. The story has some continuity issues and headshaking logical fallacies (i.e. Henry‘s miraculous comeback during the big final battle), but at the same time, it’s hard to not laugh at the absurdity. To give a few examples, Henry fights his way out of a crowded brothel, he escapes a man with a flamethrower on a bus, he single-handedly survives an attack from a tank in the woods, and somehow he nearly destroys a helicopter loaded with mercenaries without any help. Also, Sharlto Copley really carries the film on the acting side of things as the livewire in the cast. The hilarity for Copley’s multitasking deserves recognition, as he constantly reappears as different characters, including a stoner/hippie, an assassin type, a bum, a solider, and the madman/cocaine addict at the brothel.

Without giving away too much, there’s a slight tease for a sequel, when the credits start rolling, but I’m not so sure it’ll happen. Apparently, writer/director Ilya Naishuller has an outline and plans for a sequel, and Hardcore Henry turned a respectable profit ($10,703,064, and that’s off of a reported production budget of $2,000,000) at the box office, but the movie received an overall lukewarm reception with mixed reviews. On top of that, you’re running into a one-trick pony problem, if the sequel relies on the first-person POV gimmick too much.

The Upcoming Weekend

Dawn Of Justice continues to drop a few spots in the week to week charts. Last week, The Boss debuted at #1 in the week to week charts, knocking Batman VS Superman down to the #2 spot, and The Jungle Book recently debuted in the #1 spot, while Barbershop: The Next Cut debuted at #2, dropping Dawn Of Justice in the #4 spot.

According to Box Office Mojo.com’s predictions, The Jungle Book should easily repeat to hold on to the #1 spot in the week to week charts with no real competition from The Huntsman: Winter’s War. The critics are tearing The Huntsman: Winter’s War apart, and the movie currently holds a 17% on Rotten Tomatoes. The original was decent at best, with no real need for a sequel, and Winter’s War looks like another case of Hollywood producing another unnecessary sequel to lay the first set of bricks for a bland cash cow franchise.

A Hologram For The King and Elvis & Nixon are the only two new releases I’m truly looking forward to. Tom Hanks is usually worth the price of admission, and Michael Shannon and Kevin Spacey sharing screen time together is too tempting to resist.

The current highest grossing films for 2016 are....

1. Zootopia
$907,135,606

2. Batman v Superman: Dawn
$851,601,603

3. Deadpool
$760,234,949

4. The Mermaid
$552,521,248

5. The Jungle Book
$528,477,426

6. Kung Fu Panda 3
$503,866,076

7. The Monkey King 2
$194,058,503

8. From Vegas to Macau III
$182,581,250

9. London Has Fallen
$182,478,196

$152,823,511

The Jungle Book moved up to #5 and Zootopia passed the 900,000,000 mark, it is currently the 8th highest grossing animated film of all time. No other major changes. Three new films will be released this week. None of which I expect to make it into the top ten. One of which is based on a video game, I never played the game though so I have no plans of watching the film. Next week, however, has a massive release in "Captain America: Civil War" but more on that next week.

Upcoming releases:
4/29: Keanu
4/29: Mother's Day
4/29: Ratchet & Clank

Criminal-5/10

Usually, I can't stand Kevin Costner in leading roles, because he's a boring and uninteresting leading man more often than not, but Costner delivers an enjoyable performance in Criminal. He's this mean old bastard with a growly, rough voice, and Jericho's (Costner) habit of going around and picking fights with and beating up people half his age is good for some laughs. You can always count on Gary Oldman for a solid performance, and nothing changes here, but Gal Gadot's performance is limited to crying and a lot of questions during the struggle to comprehend the bizarre dilemmas after Bill's (Ryan Reynolds) death.

The story is preposterous, but Criminal features a few entertaining action sequences. Overall, Criminal is nothing to write home about, but it's a decent enough action/thriller. Also, don't get your hopes up for anything resembling a significant impact from Ryan Reynolds, because his total screen time might add up to ten minutes, and after that, Reynolds only appears during Costner's "home movies" flashbacks.

April 22-24 & The Upcoming Weekend

The Jungle Book is #1 in the week to week charts after a repeat, and the current worldwide total sits at $533,513,24. Meanwhile, The Huntsman: Winter's War opened in the #2 spot with $19,445,035 for the domestic total ($98,581,697 for the worldwide total). Winter's War will make enough to surpass the reported production budget ($115,000,000), but Universal obviously had big plans for this sequel and a potential series, so the weak domestic opening has to be a big disappointment.

I honestly don't know what to think about Keanu. Keegan-Michael Key did a good job of selling the movie as the total package on First Take earlier today, but the trailers and the commercials are very underwhelming. I'll pass on Ratchet & Clank, and Mother's Day looks like a formulaic and bland holiday film with an ensemble cast, but I'm really looking forward to Green Room. Good reviews, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for another sleeper hit.

Miles Ahead-4/10

It’s an unconventional biopic, and to add to that, Miles Ahead is more of a gangster/drama film featuring Miles Davis the man. If you go into this film with expectations for an in-depth and thorough inside look at Miles Davis’ life and his career, and a rise and fall/ups and downs style of storytelling, you’ll be disappointed. The majority of the biopic side of the film takes place during extended and brief flashbacks, but the storyline with Don Cheadle and Ewan McGregor doing whatever it takes to retrieve and protect Davis’ unreleased recordings is the main priority here.

Miles Ahead is Don Cheadle’s film. He’s the director, the star, he co-wrote the screenplay, he’s an executive producer, and he delivers a top notch performance, but unfortunately Cheadle’s performance is on a short, short list of redeemable qualities in Miles Ahead. It’s always nice to see an effort to break free from the typical and conventional biopic formula, but Miles Ahead was a bit too scattershot for my taste, with the story constantly jumping back and forth between the main storyline and the flashbacks. Cheadle puts on one hell of a show here, but you’re really not missing anything special, if you decide to skip Miles Ahead.

The Boss-5/10

She’s playing a different character, but for the most part, Melissa McCarthy sticks to her usual routine here. If we’re talking about quality, Spy is the gold standard for McCarthy’s starring roles, but The Boss joins the ranks of Identity Thief and The Heat for McCarthy’s interchangeable films. The Boss is average at best, with hit-and-miss laughs, but the sight of McCarthy and Peter Dinklage swinging samurai swords at each other in a fight to the death was more than enough to put a smile on my face.

A Hologram For The King-5/10

After Dirty Grandpa, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, and Hello, My Name Is Doris, maybe I’m just burnt out on films about an elderly main character going through a mid-life crisis, and said character realizing they need to go on a soul searching journey before it’s too late, but I had hard time getting into this one. I guess you really have to buy into or immerse yourself in Alan’s (Tom Hanks) story about “losing direction” in life, and his journey to find happiness again. Of course, Tom Hanks delivers in the leading role, and he shares believable chemistry with Sarita Choudhury. But A Hologram For The King drags through one too many tedious and dull slumps, and AHFTK never delivered the resounding moments of triumph I was looking for.

The Upcoming Weekend

I don’t have any real interest in the upcoming limited releases, but Captain America: Civil War’s domestic release is this week’s big story. Captain America: Civil War currently holds a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, and the current international total sits at $241,500,000. According to numerous predictions, there’s a good chance Civil War could surpass the $200,000,000 mark for the domestic opening weekend, and if we’re looking further down the road, The Angry Birds Movie and X-Men: Apocalypse are the only two films that are capable of giving Civil War some real competition in the charts.

Upcoming releases:

5/6: Captain America: Civil War
5/4: A Bigger Splash (limited)
5/6: The Family Fang (limited)
5/6: Dheepan (limited)
5/6: Dark Horse (limited)

Upcoming releases:

5/6: Captain America: Civil War
5/4: A Bigger Splash (limited)
5/6: The Family Fang (limited)
5/6: Dheepan (limited)
5/6: Dark Horse (limited)

Clearly no one was stupid enough to go up against one of Marvel's most anticipated films in their story on opening weekend.

I am seeing it tomorrow and can't wait. Winter Soldier is probably my favorite movie of the entire Marvel franchise, so Civil War has a lot to live up to. So far the reviews are great.

Well, Batman VS Superman's first release date change was moved to May 6th, but that was pushed back to the March 25th date. A Warner Bros. insider denied the possibility of any flinching, but it's easy to call bullshit, because around this time Guardians Of The Galaxy had a strong opening weekend with a lot of positive reviews.

I have Winter Soldier in my top three for the best in Marvel's Cinematic Universe, and it's one of the few Marvel films I can watch over and over again without getting tired of it. Great storytelling, a lot of tense and thrilling action sequences, and a few good surprises. I'll take the solo Captain America films over The Incredible Hulk, the solo Iron Man and Thor films and Age Of Ultron, so yeah, setting the bar high with a lot of big expectations for Civil War.

Civil War was awesome, but I think I still put Winter Soldier on top of it. I'll have to see it again to truly make that official though. Definitely better than Age of Ultron though.

The fight scenes are good. The big fight with both teams is highlighted by Ant-Man and Spider-Man. I wonder if they did that on purpose to get people more invested in the characters. People already love Spider-Man, but being that this is his 2nd reboot, they're probably trying to get people interested in his coming films. Add on to that the last Spider-Man movie managed to kill one of the main characters and still not be very good.

As I think about it, the scenes with Ant-Man and/or Spider-Man are the most memorable parts of the movie for comedy.

Definitely worth a second trip to the theater for me. Though I am biased as a big Captain America fan.

Green Room- 7/10

Maybe it’s a case of me being too nitpicky, but I had a hard time buying into the miraculous comeback for the remaining survivors during the big last stand. So let me get this straight, Darcy (Patrick Stewart) is supposed to be this master strategist, Darcy and his goons devise the perfect plan to kill the band members, they have strength in numbers, a vicious dog, and enough firepower to successfully takeover a small town, but somehow the remaining survivors stand a fighting chance after taking a page out of the “How To Trap & Catch A Monster” Scooby-Doo playbook (with dead bodies, a box cutter, a fire extinguisher, a machete, and guns)?

Yeah, I understand Darcy’s plan: everything needs to look like a freak accident, or they need to give the impression of self defense being the last option after trespassing, so they need to take careful steps along the way to stage the crime scene. It’s kind of hard to ignore the eye-rolling moments and the stupid mistakes from the antagonists during the finale. But if I’m looking at things from a different point of view, I guess it’s easy to look the other the way, when you’re rooting for the innocent survivors to escape and fight back against the scummy neo-Nazis and their callous leader.

With all that said, I still enjoyed Green Room. The finale irritates me for a number of reasons, but Green Room is a tense, gritty, and bloody horror thriller, and GR is loaded with graphic gore and some truly nasty images (i.e. Anton Yelchin’s mutilated arm) that are more than capable of pulling a reaction out of you. It’s a nail-biter after each different wave of attacks, as the strategies, plans, and motivations for both sides change, and a few bonus points for a solid cast and a good performance from Patrick Stewart.

May 6-8 & The Upcoming Weekend

Captain America: Civil War had a strong opening weekend with $179,139,142 to bring the current worldwide total to $705,231,108. According to a number of box office predictions, it’ll be an easy repeat for CACW to hold on to the #1 spot in the week to week charts, while Money Monster debuts in the #2 spot.

The Lobster is the only new release I’m truly looking forward to. Collin Farrell’s starring roles are really hit and miss, but the 92% on Rotten Tomatoes and the strong reviews are reassuring. Going by the trailers, Money Monster looks like it’ll be The George Clooney Show, and that’s not a bad thing at all. The Darkness? There’s always a chance you MIGHT run across a surprise in the crowded pack of generic and formulaic mainstream PG-13 horror films, but I don‘t have high hopes for The Darkness. Maybe it’ll be a decent enough supernatural horror film, and Kevin Bacon’s presence gives me some hope, but I just get the feeling they’ll follow the familiar pattern with one too many jump scares, stupid characters making stupid mistakes, and an underwhelming cliffhanger.

Upcoming releases:

5/13: Money Monster
5/13: The Darkness
5/13: The Lobster (limited)
5/13: High-Rise (limited)
5/13: Last Days In The Desert (limited)

Money Monster-8/10

I’ll probably poke more holes than I’m supposed to in Money Monster’s screenplay on a second watch, but I had a lot of fun with this one.

It’s true, you’ll reach a point where you’ll have a hard time believing George Clooney, Julia Roberts, and others are in any real danger, as Kyle (Jack O’Connell) threatens to shoot, and push the button on the trigger to detonate the bomb. But Money Monster is loaded with a good amount of surprising twists and turns, revelations, and just when you think you know where the story is going, or when the movie feels too predictable, Money Monster does a complete 180 (i.e. what happens, when things don’t go as planned during the last hope pep talk with Kyle’s girlfriend) to keep the momentum going.

Money Monster’s obligatory shaming and finger pointing for the greedy and cold-hearted suits (or as Julia Roberts' character puts it, "a pig in a prom dress"), who stand on the shoulders of blue-collar Americans is predictable, the movie is preposterous more often than not, and the tension dissipates towards the end. But when it’s all said and done, George Clooney’s entertaining performance, the cat-and-mouse game between Lee (Clooney) and Jack, some good humor, and Money Monster’s successful attempts to pull the rug out from underneath you are more than enough for me to overlook any real flaws.

Also, when Jack finally confronts Walt (Dominic West, or the guy Clooney punches in the trailers), Walt tries turn to the tables during the heated argument. He pushes Jack to accept responsibility for his actions, because in his words (well, I’m paraphrasing), the average Joe doesn’t have a problem counting the money and padding their bank accounts, and they want to brag about how smart they are, when the money is rolling in. But when something goes wrong, or when a mistake is made, they’re quick to point fingers, blame others, and complain. The blue-collar Americans VS the fat cats side of Money Monster is lopsided, because throughout the movie Clooney and others are portrayed as jerk off sadists, but giving the other side a small window to push back with some reasonable ammunition tips the scales for a brief moment.

The Upcoming Weekend

According to numerous box office predictions, The Angry Birds Movie is expected to debut in the #1 spot in the week to week charts, ending Captain America: Civil War’s run in the top spot. The Angry Birds Movie looks like the type of film that’ll have a strong opening weekend, and slowly fade away after a couple of weeks in theaters. BUT it’s not a sure thing, because X-Men: Apocalypse (next week’s big release) is currently receiving a lot a of mixed and lukewarm reviews.

Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising? I’m a fan of Seth Rogen, and I really enjoyed the original film, but I’m uneasy about this one. In the trailers and the commercials, Neighbors 2 looks like another mediocre sequel, and Chloe Grace Moretz is currently stuck in a bad slump after a series of mediocre and terrible films. HBO’s First Look for Sorority Rising gave me some hope, but at the same time, you can’t put too much stock into behind the scenes specials, because the actors, actresses, producers, the writers, and the director are doing their best to sell and push the movie. The Nice Guys holds a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, but the movie has to compete against The Angry Birds and Captain America, and according to Box Office Mojo.com’s predictions, The Nice Guys will open in the #4 spot behind Neighbors 2 in the week to week charts.

Upcoming releases:

5/20: The Nice Guys
5/20: Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising
5/20: The Angry Birds Movie
5/20: Maggie’s Plan (limited)
5/20: Weiner (limited)

The Jungle Book-5/10

Just about what I expected. A decent and enjoyable remake, featuring impressive CGI, but outside of Shere Khan and Idris Elba's voice work as Khan, I honestly can't think of anything else that deserves more praise or recognition.

The Huntsman: Winter's War-3/10

After watching the HBO: First Look for Winter's War, I had the impression the powers that be prioritized creating impressive set pieces and extravagant costumes for Emily Blunt and Charlize Theron, flooding the movie with CGi, and showcasing Freya's powers over creating a worthwhile sequel, and after watching the movie, I had a feeling that's exactly what happened.

Chastain and Hemsworth share believable chemistry, and the banter between the dwarves is good for a few laughs, but the action sequences are monotonous, and overall, Winter's War is a bland and dull sequel. And to make matters worse, Theron completely disappears after the early stages of the movie, and she doesn't reappear until the tail end of the movie.

It's a real shame. Winter's War had some promise with the additions of Chastain and Blunt, but you can throw this one in the scarp-heap with all the other failed follow-up Hollywood sequels (well, technically it's a prequel/sequel hybrid film) that were supposed to lay the next set of bricks for a potential series.

Updates & The Upcoming Weekend

Captain America: Civil War officially crossed the $1,000,000,000 mark a little while ago, and the current worldwide total sits at $1,071,699,099. Civil War is the new #1 film on the list of top worldwide grosses for 2016, knocking Zootopia down to the #2 spot. There's a chance Rogue One could overtake Civil War for the #1 spot, but it's not a sure thing.

Suicide Squad and the Independence Day sequel are on a short list of remaining noteworthy films for 2016, but both films making a real impact or cracking the top three in the top ten is a real longshot. And Batman VS Superman is too far behind now with no momentum, so it's safe to say Civil War will finish in the #1 spot to close out 2016, when the time comes.

Of course, X-Men: Apocalypse is the big release for the Memorial Day weekend. According to Box Office Mojo.com's predictions, Apocalypse will easily debut as the new #1 film in the week to week charts, while Alice Through The Looking Glass debuts in the #2 spot.

As far X-Men: Apocalypse goes, I can't say I'm all that excited for it. The trailers and the commercials are underwhelming and boring, and Oscar Isaac is one hell of an actor, but I have a hard time buying into him as Apocalypse. To add to that, the reviews for Apocalypse are mixed, lukewarm, and discouraging (Apocalypse currently holds a 47% on Rotten Tomatoes), and I haven't seen the movie yet, but there's a good chance the First Class series peaked after Days Of Future Past.

Alice Through The Looking Glass? Honestly, I had no idea the movie had a release date that was right around the corner until I checked Rotten Tomatoes a few days ago. I've seen the trailers at theaters, but I had no idea the release date was so close. Maybe it's just me, but I never noticed a strong push for the marketing campaign.

ATTLG is going up against Apocalypse, and The Conjuring 2, the Ninja Turtles sequel, and Now You See Me 2 are set to be released in the upcoming weeks, so it's only a matter of time before ATTLG fades away into obscurity. ATTLG currently holds a 28% on RT, but I'll give it a shot, because from what I remember, I never had any real problems (I guess I need to watch it again) with Alice In Wonderland.

Upcoming releases:

5/27: X-Men: Apocalypse
5/27: Alice Through The Looking Glass
5/27: The Ones Below (limited)
5/27: Australia's Lost Gold (Lasseter's Bones) (limited)
5/27: Chevalier (limited)

The current highest grossing films of 2016 include....

1. Captain America: Civil War
$1,107,893,948

2. Zootopia
$991,777,645

3. The Jungle Book
$879,846,909

4. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
$871,075,948

5. Deadpool
$763,177,218

6. The Mermaid
$553,810,228

7. Kung Fu Panda 3
$517,405,834

8. X-Men: Apocalypse
$265,831,017

9. The Angry Birds Movie
$229,453,309

10. London Has Fallen
$195,706,140

It's been a while since we last took a look at the top ten listing. "Captain America: Civil War" has taken the #1 spot and could quite possibly remain there for the rest of the year. It is also currently the 15th highest grossing film of all time. Other 2016 films on the top 50 of all time listing include Zootopia at 26th, The Jungle Book at 43rd, and "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" at 47th. Zootopia is on its way toward breaking the 1,000,000,000 mark and has become the 4th highest grossing animated film of all time. Three new films will be released this week.

Upcoming releases:
6/3: Me Before You
6/3: Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
6/3: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows

Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising-5/10

For the most part, Neighbors 2 is basically a retread of the original film, just replace a fraternity with a sorority. Sure, the story has a few tweaks, noticeable differences, and surprises, when you compare it to the original, but when both sides decide to fight back for different reasons, it’s the same old routine all over again. The back and forth prank wars, the goofy shenanigans, Rogen and Byrne sabotaging the sorority’s parties. After all that, it’s time to patch things up between Chloe Grace Moretz, her friends, Rogen, and Byrne, because Moretz and her friends have to face the reality of growing up and becoming adults, the fear of making the transition into adulthood, and they realize the carefree moments they’re currently living in won’t last forever.

All in all, it’s just about what I’ve come to expect from the usual Evan Goldberg/Seth Rogen production: a barrage of dick and weed jokes, and Seth Rogen’s over the top hysterics. They reuse the gag with the airbags from the first film, and a lot of the jokes and the humor revolves around Rogen and others constantly hurting themselves after a series of mishaps, and a small child and an infant playing with sex toys. Neighbors 2 is a decent enough sequel, but it’s nothing to write home about, and you’re not missing anything special, if you decide to skip it.

Captain America: Civil War (in 3D!)- 8/10

A lot of thrilling and inventive action sequences, and RDJ is at his best here. Chadwick Boseman and Tom Holland showed a lot of promise as the newcomers, and Holland has the potential to be one of the best incarnations of Peter Parker/Spider-Man since Tobey Maguire. For now, The Winter Soldier is still my pick for the best Captain America film, but I might squeeze Civil War into my top three for the MCU somewhere down the line.

The Darkness-5/10

Low expectations for this, but The Darkness surprised me. A pair of solid performances from Kevin Bacon and Radha Mitchell, and The Darkness does a good job of interweaving the family drama with the supernatural/haunting side of the film. Peter’s (Bacon) infidelity and the temptations to cheat again, Bronny (Mitchell) fighting urges to slip into her past as an alcoholic, Stephanie’s (the teenage girl) eating disorder, and Michael’s (the little boy) autism.

As the viewer, you know outside evil forces are causing all the trouble in the household, but I appreciate the noticeable effort to convince the audience to buy into the Taylor family’s troubles. Are they victims of an attack from ancient evil forces? Or, is the family collapsing and falling apart under the weight of a laundry list of serious issues and problems?

With all that said, I’ll be clear and say this is a “not as bad as I thought it would be” rating, because you’ll notice a number of familiar horror movie tropes, and The Darkness is loaded with predictable jump scares.

The Nice Guys- 7/10

Good chemistry between Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling, and they’re a hilarious odd couple, with Crowe playing the no-nonsense enforcer, and Gosling filling the role of a bumbling and irresponsible nitwit. Still, I expected more from The Nice Guys. Maybe I set the bar too high, but the murder mystery was average at best. And I’ll give credit where credit is due for some crafty twists and turns towards the end, but I had an indifferent reaction to the big reveals.

June 3-5

It’s no real surprise, but Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows debuted at #1 in the week to week charts, and the current worldwide total sits at $69,250,000. The Turtles debuting at #1 was a surefire guarantee, because Out Of The Shadows was going up against an X-Men film with mixed reviews and overall lukewarm reception, so the movie didn’t have to worry about any real competition.

Plans for a third TMNT film are in place, but I’m not sure how long the renovated TMNT series will last. Poor reviews for both films, and going forward, you can’t rely on the curiosity for new TMNT films anymore, because every knows what to expect now.

Alice Through The Looking Glass- 4/10

A lazy and uninspired sequel with a screwy time travel plot, but I have soft spot for Helena Bonham Carter, so yeah.

X-Men: Apocalypse (in 3D!)- 6/10

It's definitely not as bad as some critics are making it out to be. Also, I'm not going to call it the weakest film in the First Class series. Apocalypse is not as good as First Class or Days Of Future Past, but it's not a "weak" film. It took me a while to warm up to Oscar Isaac as Apocalypse, but overall he was a solid villain. In the end, X-Men: Apocalypse delivers its fair share of thrills and entertaining action sequences, the big final battle has its moments, and a bonus point for some tongue-in-cheek/breaking the fourth wall humor.

The Upcoming Weekend

According to numerous reports, Warcraft has surpassed the $200,000,000 mark, and that's off of a reported production budget of $160,000,000. That's after Warcraft's international debut, and the movie pulled in a reported $46,000,000 on opening day in China. If we're talking about the US debut, Box Office Mojo.com predicts Warcraft will open with a little over $20,000,000 during the weekend.

Personally, I'm not all that excited about Warcraft (Warcraft currently holds a 25% on Rotten Tomatoes). I might watch it out of curiosity at some point, but the trailers are awful.

Now You See Me 2? Eh, the original film was decent at best, and I'm hoping Lizzy Caplan will bring something to the table as one of the new characters. But going by the trailers, it looks like more of the same routine with Now You See Me 2.

The Conjuring 2 is the only movie I'm truly looking forward to. Usually, I'm uneasy about mainstream horror sequels, but James Wan is back as the director, and the returns of Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson are reassuring. The majority of them are underwhelming or terrible films, but every now and then, you'll get a surprise (i.e. Sinister 2) with horror sequels, or the second film in the series.

According to Box Office Mojo.com's report, The Conjuring 2 is the widest horror release in 2016 so far, and the movie is expected to pass the $36,000,000 mark, and that's off of a reported production budget of $40,000,000. The Conjuring 2 currently holds a 75% on RT, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for a worthwhile sequel. Although, if they plan on making more Conjuring films, I hope they'll stop at 3. I know it's Hollywood, and I know it's wishful thinking, but more often than not, horror franchises usually devolve into a mess of mediocre and shitty sequels after two or three movies.

Upcoming releases:

6/10: Warcraft
6/10: The Conjuring 2
6/10: Now You See Me 2
6/10: Careful What You Wish For (limited)
6/10: Last Cab To Darwin (limited)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows (in 3D!)-5/10

It's harmless and passable as a mindless fun action comedy, and I laughed a few times, so I don't have any real complaints.

The Lobster-9/10

I'll try to tip-toe around any major details for the spoilers, but the ending is the only reason why I'm not going with a 10/10 for this. The ending leaves a few unanswered questions, because you don't know what happens after Colin Farrell prepares himself in the bathroom after making his decision, and truth be told, it's a TOUGH decision to make, so you can understand why he hesitated more than once.

But after everything that happened in the movie, and everything leading up to the final moments of the movie, the ending was too anticlimactic and apathetic for me. And more often than not, depending on the style of storytelling and the events leading up to it, I'm not a fan of ambiguous "maybe it happened, or maybe it didn't" finales.

With all that said, The Lobster is still one of my favorite films in 2016. The Lobster is thought-provoking, eccentric, and quirky, and it's definitely one of the more unique dark rom-coms I've seen over the years. A solid cast overall, but the chemistry between Rachel Weisz and Farrell is questionable at times. Although, I guess you could say the strained chemistry between Weisz and Farrell has a lot to do with their characters, because Short Sighted Woman and David are timid, uptight, nervous, and emotionally fragile for different reasons.

June 10-12 & The Upcoming Weekend

The Conjuring 2 had a successful opening weekend with $40,406,314 to bring the current worldwide total to $91,906,314, Now You See Me 2 opened with $22,383,146 to bring the current worldwide total to $46,329,851, and Warcraft's current worldwide total sits at $304,666,110.

Finding Dory and Central Intelligence are the two big releases for Friday. According to reports, Finding Dory is expected to pass the $100,000,000 mark for its debut. Central Intelligence should have a decent opening weekend, and hopefully it'll be a worthwhile action comedy.

I've seen a few trailers for Clown, and nothing grabs my attention. I'm on the fence with expectations for Clown, because there's a chance it could be a nice little surprise, but I'm leaning towards Clown being a run-of-the-mill gore fest.

Upcoming releases:

6/17: Finding Dory
6/17: Central Intelligence
6/17: Clown (limited)
6/17: Tickled (limited)
6/17: The Keeper of Lost Causes (Kvinden I Buret) (limited)

The current highest grossing films of 2016 are....

$1,144,877,176

2. Zootopia
$1,011,961,275

3. The Jungle Book
$922,415,511

$872,662,631

5. Deadpool
$780,479,231

6. The Mermaid
$553,810,228

7. Kung Fu Panda 3
$518,496,297

$510,145,478

9. Warcraft
$377,611,525

10. The Angry Birds Movie
$327,690,847

Civil War and Zootopia have both passed the $1,000,000,000 mark. They are currently the 12th and 25th highest grossing films of all time. The latter is on its way to becoming the 3rd highest grossing animated film of all time. Warcraft also made the top ten, the list itself has not changed much in the past couple of weeks. Three films will be released this week. The sequel to Independence Day is one I expect should do well and make the top ten.

Upcoming releases:
6/24: Free State of Jones
6/24: Independence Day: Resurgence
6/24: The Shallows

Me Before You-7/10

Me Before You is loaded with predictable cliches, but the chemistry between Emilia Clarke and Sam Clafin is believable, and Clarke's solid performance, as this endearing and positive woman with a big heart is enough for me to overlook some noticeable flaws.

Central Intelligence-5/10

The Rock is good for some laughs, as this hulking bad ass with a soft side and a goofy sense of humor, but Central Intelligence is just an average action/comedy at best. The story is underwhelming, and the guessing game for "Who is The Black Badger?" as Hart is forced to pick sides between the CIA and Rock is tedious (did they really expect ANYONE to buy into the possibility of Rock as the main antagonist? Seriously?) and repetitive. Although, on a semi-related note, after Bad Words, The Gift, and now Central Intelligence, hopefully Jason Bateman chooses more roles as an asshole and a condescending bully.

Central Intelligence's current worldwide total sits at $58,120,362, and that's off a reported production budget of $50,000,000. The ending clearly teases a sequel, and the chemistry is there, but I don't see a lot of potential with Rock and Hart as a muscle and brains (well, Rock has both throughout the movie, but still) duo to lay the foundation for a series. Although, you could say Central Intelligence had a tough hill to climb at the box office with some strong competition, and it's safe to say going up against Finding Dory and Independence Day: Resurgence in back to back weeks played a part in hurting a more successful run.

The Upcoming Weekend

According to numerous reports, Finding Dory is expected to hold on to the #1 spot in the week to week charts for an easy repeat, while Independence Day: Resurgence debuts in the #2 spot. I can't say I'm all that excited about Resurgence. I loved the original Independence Day film as a kid, and I still watch it every now and then, but the trailers and the TV spots are kind of dull. They're really trying to push the "20 years later" tagline, and they used Bill Pullman's "Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!" speech in the first set of trailers, but the nostalgia hook feels forced. I honestly don't remember too many people clamoring for an Independence Day sequel, and you can throw ID 1996 in the interchangeable and nostalgic 90's action blockbusters bin.

Swiss Army Man and The Neon Demon are the only two films I'm truly looking forward to. I'll get to Free State Of Jones at some point, and I know The Shallow has its fair share of positive reviews (a surprising 75% on Rotten Tomatoes), but I'm still setting the bar low for expectations. If we're talking about sharks and horror/thrillers, there's only one film that stands head and shoulders above everything else as a great film.

Sure, you might have some passable guilty pleasure films (Bait 3D for a recent-ish off the top of my head pick) here and there, and some shark horror/thrillers are decent enough (Shark Night, Deep Blue Sea), but the VAST majority of shark horror/thrillers are boring (Open Water is a real chore to sit through), disposable, repetitive, and of course you have a handful of truly awful films. Maybe I'm wrong about The Shallows, and I'm just going by the trailers for now, but it looks like the movie will stick to a reoccurring pattern with a series of doubtful close calls and close up shots of Blake Lively in a tight swimsuit before Lively's miraculous escape during the finale.

Here are the current top ten highest grossing films of 2016....

$1,147,559,253

2. Zootopia
$1,016,574,809

3. The Jungle Book
$929,491,249

$872,662,631

5. Deadpool
$778,617,348

6. The Mermaid
$553,810,228

7. X-Men: Apocalypse
$523,811,663

8. Kung Fu Panda 3
$518,636,496

9. Warcraft
$412,186,470

10. Finding Dory
$396,852,649

Only a couple of changes this week. X-Men climbed up a spot and a newcomer to the top ten listing is Finding Dory. Expect that one to climb even further shortly. Three new films will be released this week. None look likely to make it into the top ten.

Upcoming releases:
7/1: The BFG
7/1: The Legend of Tarzan
7/1: The Purge: Election Year

Now You See Me 2- 6/10

Something is just off with the Now You See films. Solid casts with believable chemistry, and they actually went the extra mile to give more depth to the story and the rivalry between Morgan Freeman and Mark Ruffalo here, but the end result is another barely above average film. Also, pulling back the curtain too much kills a lot the mystique and the mysterious aura for the Now You See films. Exposition is a real problem, because there's no real need to go back and show how The Horsemen executed or pulled off each magic trick, performance, or caper step by step. They're supposed to be crafty and slick experts, but revealing EVERY little detail to the audience weakens the wow-factor throughout the movie.

Still, Now You See Me 2 is a fun and harmless film, with some decent laughs, a lot of surprising twists and turns, and the guessing game with Morgan Freeman playing all three sides really works, because you're not sure, who he's really working for, or what his intentions are until the final moments. If we're talking about new additions, Lizzy Caplan is definitely an upgrade over Isla Fisher, but Daniel Radcliffe is really underwhelming, as one of the main antagonists.

The Neon Demon- 5/10

The Neon Demon is visually impressive. There's no denying that, but the story? Eh, that's another problem. The Neon Demon had some good material to work with, but in the end, I just had the impression of watching a trippy horror film about a bunch of narcissistic and catty bitches, who are willing to do anything and stoop to the lowest of lows to make it in the world of modeling. TND takes an unexpected turn towards the end, when Jesse (Elle Fanning) is consumed by her own vanity, but the stupid, stupid ending (WHY did Jesse stay in the house after the awkward ordeal with Jenna Malone?) and everything following the gruesome finale almost killed the movie for me.

With all that said, I'll give TND a passing score for a handful of gory, brutal, and nasty images that are more than capable of pulling a reaction out of you. As far as the acting goes, Fanning is not bad in the leading role, but Jenna Malone and Keanu Reeves (playing the sleazy motel manager) are the real standouts in this cast. TND is a very bloody (different characters literally showering in and bathing in another character's blood) horror film, featuring cannibalism, brutality, and Jenna Malone's intimate encounter with a corpse is really creepy.

The Upcoming Weekend

According to Box Office Mojo.com's predictions, Finding Dory will successfully complete a threepeat in the week to week charts, while The Purge: Election Year debuts in the #2 spot, and The Legend Of Tarzan should debut in the #3 spot.

I'm beyond pumped for Election Year, because The Purge is easily one of my favorite horror series. The return of Frank Grillo is a good call, and I'm glad they're finally taking a step towards the chaos and the anarchy surrounding the possibility of The Purge coming to an end. The Legend Of Tarzan could be okay, but going by the trailers and commercials, it looks like another forgettable and generic Hollywood adaptation, and I have little to no interest in The BFG.

The current highest grossing films of 2016 are....

$1,149,233,261

2. Zootopia
$1,019,474,225

3. The Jungle Book
$934,577,614

$872,662,631

5. Deadpool
$783,764,011

6. The Mermaid
$553,810,228

7. Finding Dory
$548,345,558

$529,129,059

9. Kung Fu Panda 3
$518,769,247

10. Warcraft
$422,095,150

Finding Dory climbed up a few spots, other than that the list has stayed about the same. It should climb at least one more spot this week. Two new films will be released this week. The Secret Life of Pets looks hilarious and it might make in into the top ten.

Upcoming releases:
7/8: Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
7/8: The Secret Life of Pets

Here are the highest grossing films of 2016 so far....

$1,150,643,164

2. Zootopia
$1,021,487,247

3. The Jungle Book
$935,975,883

$872,662,631

5. Deadpool
$781,575,627

6. Finding Dory
$642,780,243

7. The Mermaid
$553,810,228

$528,183,350

9. Kung Fu Panda 3
$518,928,111

10. Warcraft
$430,010,135

Finding Dory moved up a spot. No other major changes. Two new films will be released this week, The Infiltrator and the new Ghostbusters.

Upcoming releases:
7/13: The Infiltrator
7/15: Ghostbusters

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back