Favorite Bass line in a song

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
[youtube]pw8PpYBiDsc[/youtube]
Weren't expecting this song were ya? I decided to hit one out to left field with this one.​

When i listen to a song I like to break it down and listen to everything by themsleves (vocals, drums, guitar & Bass) and I got to thinking about my favorite Bass line in a song and not only was this song the first to pop into my it was the next one to play on my iPOD as well.

What I look for in my bass is something simple. I've tried to play bass guitar and you can't do the same epic solos that the lead guitar can and if you try (Which my friend did) it sounds horrible. Noto nly should it be simple it should be catchy. The bass line in this song is simple and catchy so that shoots it up the list. Add the fact that Gorllaz is in my top 10 list of favorite bands is what outs this in the #! spot when it comes to bass

Red Hot Chili Peppers-Higher Ground

[YOUTUBE]686A5yPMWrs[/YOUTUBE]

Now credit has to be given to Stevie Wonder for writing the song, but Flea made that bass line a monster. For me I have to slightly concentrate to pick out the bass on a song, but this one I had to concentrate to hear the guitar. The bass is so prominent and dare I say the anchor of the song that its amazing.

This is appearntlly really hard to play on bass

I love this song it at first sounds like something to do with Stalkers But has to do with Jesus according to comments on some video this has a pretty long Bass line

[YOUTUBE]7d7QBl-yjn0[/YOUTUBE]

For some reason I cant have the video in m post so here is a link instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgOisCX5b7g

Anyway the song is "Pussy Liquor" by Rob Zombie. The bass line in the intro/chorus is the one I am talking about by the way. Seriously that is just awesome for me but I really can't place my finger on exactly why, it's got a really rocking grove to it, it just sounds great to me.

Fave Bass Lines:

The Way You Move- Big Boi from OutKast

I Love this song so much. It starts out with the immense thumping, and he already is beatboxing himself. I remember a dated a guy who bought that album specifically because he knew the bass lines on each side of the dual album would be magnificent to listen to with the bass output up to maximum. I still get a kick everytime I hear anything by OutKast, even though I listen to ALL genres of music.

Radioactive- Kings of Leon

I know its not THAT heavy on bass, but you do get a good riff of bass going at the beginning. They do have a great riff going thru-out the song. Its really made me change my tune about these guys. I find myself turning it up just for the hell of it. Great tune, and makes me want to go get their cd.

Lou Reed - Walk On The Wild Side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wNknGIKkoA

I still don't know how to embed youtube videos on here, so a link will have to do. This is just such a smooth bassline. I can't imagine ever being angry while I hear it. I'm pretty sure A Tribe Called Quest sampled it for a song of theirs, but I think the original uses it better. Anyway, it's great, so listen to it. I'll also give an honorable mention to Jenny Was a Friend of Mine by The Killers, as the bassline is what makes that song great.

Anyway the song is "Pussy Liquor" by Rob Zombie. The bass line in the intro/chorus is the one I am talking about by the way. Seriously that is just awesome for me but I really can't place my finger on exactly why, it's got a really rocking grove to it, it just sounds great to me.

[YOUTUBE]UgOisCX5b7g[/YOUTUBE]
There you go Mate you uust need to put everything after V= in the middle of the Youtube Tags so not V=UgOisCX5b7g but just plain UgOisCX5b7g
with it being in the middle of a Youtube tag .
Hope this helps

If you're a Shinedown fan, this is one of the most famous openings to one of their songs. The opening is played by a bass.

[YOUTUBE]ZbyldoksjAQ[/YOUTUBE]

Now it only lasts about 3 or 4 seconds, but whenever I hear the bass play the opening chords, I know that one of Shinedown's greatest songs is about to play. The song is called Heroes and it's off of their second record, "Us and Them." Theres just something about the bass playing in the beginning that makes the song so distinct from any other song by them. It's a great song if anyone is into Hard Rock. I encourage you all to listen to it.

The Clash - "The Magnificent Seven"

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMkpRtqJwbw&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

"For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Metallica
[YOUTUBE]XtoAj46L4Kg[/YOUTUBE]
Such an awesome bass intro. The affects used on it at the time were unheard of, and most people didn't even know it was bass. It's just a cool intro. And live here with Cliff Burton, he improvises a bass solo that's pretty cool.

how about the single most memorable bass riff of all time? This is a no-brainer for me, Another One Bites the Dust by Queen. I am going to go out on a limb and say that as soon as people read this, they will immediately have the song playing in their heads...that riff is simple, but oh so damned good.

how about the single most memorable bass riff of all time? This is a no-brainer for me, Another One Bites the Dust by Queen. I am going to go out on a limb and say that as soon as people read this, they will immediately have the song playing in their heads...that riff is simple, but oh so damned good.

Hit the nail on the head, man. This song has to be the only one that pops into my head. It's legendary, iconic, most people know the song instantly the second they hear a bit of the bassline. Think about it this way, take the bassline out of that song, it wouldn't be as good, simply put, the bassline made the song. I mean, it has been featured in movies, ads, everything. This song is one of the most famous songs ever, undoubtedly because of the bassline.

A couple of eighties classics and examples of basslines driving more chilled tunes...
[YOUTUBE]YIHMPc6ZCuI[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]XmSdTa9kaiQ[/YOUTUBE]​

I went with the "other great Queen bass line. Again so simple, but so great. Plus you know........David Bowie.

[YOUTUBE]a01QQZyl-_I [/YOUTUBE]

[youtube]hglVqACd1C8[/youtube]

One of my favorite Tool songs, and it just gets me hyped up. It's the song I'd like to hear as I eviscerate my worst enemy.

I also love:

• Tool- The Pot
  • Tool- The Grudge
  • Metallica: King Nothing

The White Stripes, 7 Nation Army

My first choice might have been Under Pressure by Queen, but I love this one. The White Stripes are kind of a throw back for me. This base line shapes the entire song and really get imbedded in my head sometimes. This is an example of a song I don't mind having stuck in my head all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back