"Fatal 4-Way" Is No More.

Dr. Stinger A. Zoidberg

Stay in school and don't litter.
WWE Capitol Punishment is a forthcoming professional wrestling pay-per-view event that will be produced by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) on Sunday June 19, 2011 live at the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C..[1] Capitol Punishment will replace the Fatal 4-Way PPV event.

That's a much better name for a PPV. No word on a possible gimmick for it yet, but it seems that it could just be a regular PPV.

That's nice to know. I never liked the "say what you see" philosophy of naming PPVs. Capitol punishment gives it more character and having it possibly not be gimmick based is another big bonus.

This has been known for a while. I like the idea of themed names, hopefully they continue that.

Im not sure but the name may have just changed yet the stipulation remains. I for one hope its a completley new concept

I think this is just gonna be like the In Your House PPVs, where it's only going to have that name once. I mean think about it the PPV is in Washington DC and it's called Capital Punishment.

Great stuff, along with a great name(I wonder if it's going to be called that just this year, or keep it in DC only), but this has been known for a while now. At least 3-4 weeks.

Normal PPV's are making a return i guess like Over The Limit and then last year we had some matches without a gimmick at extreme rules and then a non title match at night of champions.

I hate some of the gimmick PPV's (Fatal Fourway, Money in the Bank, Hell in a Cell, and TLC). I like gimmick matches to be announced as a way to enhance, or end, a feud. When it's expected, it takes away from the angle, at least in my view.

Others serve a purpose. I don't like the Extreme Rules name, but it usually settles all problems from Mania, in some sort of brutal fashion. I would like all problems from Mania to be solved at Mania, but whatever. Night of Champions isn't really a gimmick, seeing it doesn't follow a Champion vs. Champion format (WHC vs. WWE champion, etc.). Elimination Chamber works, because it usually has quite the impact on the main events at WrestleMania. Bragging Rights, Team Raw vs. Team Smackdown, should probably just take place at Survivor Series.

However, I understand why they started the gimmick PPV's. Buyrates, plain and simple. They were hoping this would energize fans to purchase more off-brand PPV's (not Mania, Summerslam, etc.). Has it worked? I don't know, I haven't looked at the numbers. If it's working, they should keep them, no matter how I feel about it. If it's not increasing buyrates, or if they are falling, I would like to see them phased out.

I hate some of the gimmick PPV's (Fatal Fourway, Money in the Bank, Hell in a Cell, and TLC). I like gimmick matches to be announced as a way to enhance, or end, a feud. When it's expected, it takes away from the angle, at least in my view.

Others serve a purpose. I don't like the Extreme Rules name, but it usually settles all problems from Mania, in some sort of brutal fashion. I would like all problems from Mania to be solved at Mania, but whatever. Night of Champions isn't really a gimmick, seeing it doesn't follow a Champion vs. Champion format (WHC vs. WWE champion, etc.). Elimination Chamber works, because it usually has quite the impact on the main events at WrestleMania. Bragging Rights, Team Raw vs. Team Smackdown, should probably just take place at Survivor Series.

However, I understand why they started the gimmick PPV's. Buyrates, plain and simple. They were hoping this would energize fans to purchase more off-brand PPV's (not Mania, Summerslam, etc.). Has it worked? I don't know, I haven't looked at the numbers. If it's working, they should keep them, no matter how I feel about it. If it's not increasing buyrates, or if they are falling, I would like to see them phased out.

Kind of. It worked good in 2009 (Lots of jumps) then in 2010 most of them dropped quite alot in buys with Fatal 4 Way getting the 2nd worst PPV's buys ever with 143K.

What of heard of this PPV is that the name will change each year for whatever city it's in and that it has no gimmick.

Whatever the case, I look forward to it.

Seriously I would appreciate no more gimmick PPVs. It devalues almost every special gimmick match there is. If they want to leave one they should leave Extreme Rules. I for one miss Backlash, No Way Out, Vengeance and No Mercy

I think this is just gonna be like the In Your House PPVs, where it's only going to have that name once. I mean think about it the PPV is in Washington DC and it's called Capital Punishment.

That's true, but it's also just as likely a reference to the name the company had back in it's NWA days. In which case, I think it's an absolutely fabulous name, and a wonderful way to interject past history into the present, something the WWE always strives to do.

Oh, and the PPV is called "Capitol Punishment, not Capital Punishment. Which would lead one to believe my way of thinking is more correct than yours.

Think you might be stretching on the NWA one. That was a one off show that featured Robocop of all things. That one was spelled Capital instead of Capitol also.

Weren't you talking about Capital Combat, the NWA PPV that had Robocop on it when you talked about tying things back into the past?

Yeah I know of it. When I think of wrestling I first thing of Robocop though. I don't know what you've been watching, but if it doesn't involve Robocop saving Sting from the Horsemen it doesn't belong on my screen.

Yeah I know of it. When I think of wrestling I first thing of Robocop though. I don't know what you've been watching, but if it doesn't involve Robocop saving Sting from the Horsemen it doesn't belong on my screen.

....right......

Anyways....back to what I was saying, Capitol Punishment is kind of a nod of respect to where the company first started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back