ECW Region, Indianapolis Subregion, First Round: (9) Terry Funk vs. (24)William Regal

Who wins this match?

• Terry Funk

• William Regal

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the ECW Region, Indianapolis Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under ECW Rules, meaning anything goes. It will be held at the Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Indiana.

bankers-life-fieldhouse-front-view-copyright2011.jpg

terryfunk.jpg

#9. Terry Funk

Vs.

william-regal_4296.jpg

#24. William Regal

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

William is a good wrestler and should be better remembered but Terry Funk is a legend. A true hardcore icon here has a huge advantage in an ECW match. The man's career is eternal and he comes out of retirement just about every week. Terry wrestling Sabu in barbed wire is a memory I'll never forget.

Terry funk wins by pinfall. There's blood everywhere.

A lot of shite "it's ECW so Funk wins" comments will be imminent, I'm sure. Lets look at the less cop out approach, and it is this, Funk made it to be world champion, whereas Regal has been a lower midcarder throughout his career. The politics of the NWA at the time where ridiculous, with promoters looking out for "their guy". There was a lot of diplomacy, but despite the fact his brother had been a long serving champion, he was still selected as the best man for the job.

Also it's in ECW, and Funk liked weapons.

This, my friends, is pure deduction;

Point the first. Terry Funk famously once said to not trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders. He refers to these men as "satchel ass". This is forever immortalized by this graph;

SATCHELGRAPH.jpg

Point 2. William Regal has a wide ass. A very, very wide ass, and and not very broad shoulders. But since we don't have a picture of his ass, allow me to show you a picture of him kissing an ass.

William_Regal_Kiss_My_Ass_Club.jpg

Point 3. We can deduce, because of William Regal's wide ass, that Terry Funk knows better than to trust him. This neutralizes the brass knucks, which were Regal's only shot at victory.

And because his only shot of victory is gone, we can conclude that Terry Funk wins here. It's the laws of satchel ass

While I definitely prefer William Regal, in every imaginable way, he hasn't won against the type of competition Funk has. And this is an ECW match, and we all know Terry Funk loves this environment. Regal should've been a bigger deal than he was, but... he wasn't. Funk's proven, Regal's only half way there.

Funk wins, unfortunately.

This is a matchup between two superstars where one has made it to the pinnacle of their respective promotion while the other struggled in the midcard throughout his career, not making any truly significant accomplishments. Sure, Regal held some midcard titles but aside from his run as Television champion in WCW, we barely remember the reigns.

Terry Funk is one of the toughest and most experienced wrestlers in this tournament. His accomplishments trump Regal's. Therefore Funk wins this.

I am going with Funk on this one and the fact that this is being contested under extreme rules makes it a even easyier decision. the guy helped revolutionize Hardcore wrestling and while Regal is a great wrestler, I don't think it would take Terry long to put Regal Away in this anything goes environment.

In a purely technical battle this could get interesting, in ECW Funk's brawling style would rule the day.

Despite Regal's technical mastery, he never did ascend to the top of the mountain, and in fact was never a consistently strongly booked midcarder in any major promotion. Funk was a world champion and defeated a legend in Jack Brisco to do it. And then went on to wrestle for a couple of more decades, usually just to make other guys look good, killing his body for the sport without playing political games and instead forging strong relationships.

Both deserve to be highly respected, and probably should be more decorated, but Funk is the clear choice here especially in light of the environment. Not to mention nothing should stand in the way of our Funk/Funk second round match-up.

ECW & Terry Funk? I am nowhere near a wrestling genius, but I think Funk will always go over a bag full of names in the hardcore environment. He wins this match every time, forever......

This will be the stiffest, toughest, and overall most brutal match on the card. Two chain wrestlers and two brawlers. Funk takes this because he's just more sadistic than Regal. Regal kissed McMahon's ass, Funk told BOTH Vince Sr. and Jr. to kiss HIS ass...

Also, NWA world title reigns during the 70's meant you were the best in the world, and Funk was just that for a good while. Name a popular wrestler, and Funk's either beaten them to a pulp or pinned them clean.

Regal taps to the spinning toe hold.

FOREVER...and ever...FOREVER...forever...

Regal is in my top 10 of all time. I'm starting to wonder how many I will say that about during this tournament - so far I've definitely said it for Steamboat, Blanchard and Michaels.

Personal preference aside, as said over and over again already, he never really achieved all that much. Other than being hugely entertaining, one of the best EVER in the ring and being able to carry Nick Dinsmore to entertaining segments.

Terry Funk is just amazing and one of my picks to win this tournament. His longevity is uncanny, he can do it all. An oldschool technician, a death match brawler, a WWE worker. Put him in any federation at any time and he would rise to the top of the card (he never quite made it in the WWE but was well received and positively booked while there). There is only a handful of people you could say that about.

Yeah, without a shadow of a doubt this is the match I'd most like to see in this tournament. I actually don't think weapons will become involved - I see it going down mostly like this, especially since prime Terry Funk was the technician and not the hardcore master. I fully expect him to be in some hardcore wars during his trip through the ECW region, but this is roughly how I see the start of his journey.

[youtube]K_qE21nmfCA[/youtube]

Vicious striking, chain wrestling, finally gets the toe hold and the instant submission. Yh, this match with more headbutts and blading the hardway, Regal covered with the crimson mask when he taps out in a 15 minute classic

This would be fun as hell to sit through froma physical stand point as we watch these two utterly rip into one-another. Regal hits hard, just as Terry Funk does, but in the enviroment of ECW, and because he was, is and always will be a bigger star, Terry Funk wins. I love William Regal, but he cannot win against Funk. Not in WWE, not in WCW and certainly not in ECW.

Absolutely love Regal and he could roll with the punches a lot in this match but listen, drawing Terry Funk in an ECW hardcore environment is going to stop most guys. No shame in Regal losing to the biggest legend here.

Regal has always been one of my favourites and I believe that it's just hard luck and bad timing that stopped his career from reaching further heights (that, and the booze).

I've a lot of admiration for Funk too for the sheer longevity of his wrestling career and the fact that he comes across as a down-to-earth, no-nonsense, straight-shooter.

This would be a brutal match, and Regal could hold his own against Funk for longer if this were a standard singles match, but it's ECW rules here so I'm expecting Funk to pull out the barbed wire and the tacks to inflict the maximum amount of damage.

Regal taps after 15 minutes.

This is a matchup between two superstars where one has made it to the pinnacle of their respective promotion while the other struggled in the midcard throughout his career, not making any truly significant accomplishments. Sure, Regal held some midcard titles but aside from his run as Television champion in WCW, we barely remember the reigns.

Terry Funk is one of the toughest and most experienced wrestlers in this tournament. His accomplishments trump Regal's. Therefore Funk wins this.

Nailed it. Funk was able to make himself a significant player in several promotions over a few decades by adapting to whatever style was needed at the time. We all like Regal for his technical ability but his TV title reign and brief IC title reign don't even come close to matching Funk's resume.

This is ECW. This is violence...and good old Terry loves a bit of bloodshed.

There is nothing, literally nothing that William Regal could do to Funk that he hasn't already been through. He has been wrapped in barbed wire, blown up in death matches, been burned and lost more blood than pretty much anyone in wrestling history...and he still keeps coming back.

ECW is Terry's backyard. He helped build the promotion and William Regal has never really been involved in hardcore environments like this. He's a very good technical wrestler, but Funk is more than just a guy who likes hitting people in the face with chairs, he had a world title level career before he started doing that.

There ain't no way Regal goes over on Funk in the first round.

Winner: Terrrrrry Fuuuuuuuuunk with a Piledriver on a chair, both men bloody as fuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back