Does WWE Finally Think Fans Are Somewhat Intelligent?

prosenfi

Dark Match Winner
In the past, unless a superstar re-debuted with the same name/gimmick, WWE would never link the multiple gimmicks together. A few examples would be K-kwik/R-Truth & Viscera/Big Daddy V. It truly annoyed me when WWE treated the fans like they were stupid by acting like these superstars had never once stepped foot inside a WWE ring before.

However, recently, WWE has been stopping that. The two examples I can think of are Albert/Lord Tensai & Skip Sheffield/Ryback.

My question to you is...do you agree? Do you think WWE is finally treating fans with more respect, or is this just a coincidence?

Coincidence..... but no, don't think it's meant to be disrespectful. Some of those guys needed some repackaging, and a good chunk of WWE fans are kids who may have missed these wrestlers first stints.... why revisit a gimmick that didn't work in the past or alienate the younger viewers by rehashing them.

I don't necessarily think they were ever thinking the fans were dumb. I think that it was likely a tradition based on a time back when people thought it was real and one day Vince said "WTF? Everyone knows he's Albert, let's point it out".

When Kane came out they didn't say "HE USED TO BE A DENTIST".

Also, I think storyline-wise, a lot of guys back in the day were different characters with different "biographies".

I don't think it'll become the norm, I think the miami crowd chanting "Albert" all through Tensai's debut kinda forced their hand on that one, plus his gimmick is he was a WWE guy, went and made it big in Japan and is now coming back to clean house, it's kind of necissary to the gimmick to mention he was Albert/A-train...we'll have to see how it plays out but one of the more interesting gimmicks of late imo.

As other's have said, when the previous gimmick was wildly different to the new one linking the two persona's on air would be more confusing for the audience (young kids especially) than it would be benifitial.

As someone said about Kane being Issac. Every once in awhile, King or as we saw Cena make a reference to his old gimmicks (Hell Cena went beyond that to the Christmas Monster gimmick Kane used to have)

I Like how TNA does their backstage segments, they are sneaky about it, they peep through the crack of the door or around a corner.. WWE sneaky way about it is put a big ass camera in their face.

Take the eve heel turn.. She was saying it to friends in private, but how did she not see that big ass camera with a bright red light on it 4ft away from her and how did she not see cena?

TNA backstage segments is 100x better than the WWE, because at least TNA is believable.

I don't think this really ties into being an insult, more likely just they want to give that star a brand new identity and build them in their own image. Most all stars change names at some point in their career no matter where they go. When and only when they become established main event stars is the name really left alone. Guys like Tensai(A-Train) or Big Daddy V(Vicera) were never big stars so it didn't really matter if they got a change in character or not. Its Not the same thing as if say AJ Styles were to come to WWE and they changed his name and made no mention of his past success under that name.

No. WWE knows how obvious it is that we as wrestling fans are not intelligent whatsoever. They know that they can do whatever they want with character re-debuts, or match outcomes, or storylines, but we as the pathetic sheep that we are will continue to soak up the product like it's the only thing on television.

Look at this garbage Wrestle-Not-So-Mania for example. Was WWE treating fans as intelligent when they tricked us into shelling out major currency for an 18-second match? And don't get me started on the Rock winning. How is it intelligent, or make any sense WHATSOEVER, that a guy who hasn't wrestled but one match in 8 YEARS could hang with the top guy in his prime? Logically he would get crushed. It's like saying David Robinson or Karl Malone could come back to the NBA and be able to guard LeBron James. Just not gonna happen. NOT LOGICAL WHATSOEVER.

So in closing, no, WWE does not think, and should not think, that fans are intelligent. Because it's obvious that we aren't. And we don't deserve to be treated intelligently. I mean we can't even cheer for faces and heels properly to help build up stars and enhance the product. Fans are stupid.

p.s. Before you flame me, yes I consider myself amongst this group. So there.

I think it's hilarious that some fans want to be acknowledged so much by the puppet masters. Part of WWE's business is to inflate their main events with perceived importance (like "The Rock" returning to do a nostalgia act), not "simulate" a competitive sport "season" complete with logical turns of events. WWE is exactly what it's always said it was: sports entertainment. The shows have more in common with a concert than a sporting show, and so do most indy American shows due to WWE's huge influence. To acknowlege every player in the ensemble cast with a logical timeline is incredibly detail oriented and really does nothing for the business. Did Brodus Clay need a logical transition to play out on screen to set up his Funkasaurus gimmick? Hell no, it works on day one and still does. Some superstars have had a storybook career play out in front of the fans eyes: guys like Bret Hart, Chris Jericho, Shawn Michaels or Edge. not every guy gets that, or needs it.

Vince Mcmahon changed the road warriors to LOD because he thought fans would be confused as wwf already had the Ultimate warrior.

Thats how much they respect fans intelligence.

I think it's more a case of coincidence. In both examples the OP presented of WWE "acknowledging" those guys former gimmicks, WWE never stated who they were previously(not naming A-Train or Skip Sheffield). My guess would be a slip up more than WWE leveling with the fans. Acknowledging a superstar being repacked would also be admitting the creative team and or the superstar failed to get over properly. I can't see WWE ever willingly admitting they failed in any way, shape or form.

So as to the original question posed, I definately gotta go with no. While it would make sense to acknowledge a superstar's past, WWE seems to be stuck in the same confined mode of thinking. Apparently, they don't realize or care that 99% of fans will remember a guy's past if he made any noticable impact.

In the past, unless a superstar re-debuted with the same name/gimmick, WWE would never link the multiple gimmicks together. A few examples would be K-kwik/R-Truth & Viscera/Big Daddy V. It truly annoyed me when WWE treated the fans like they were stupid by acting like these superstars had never once stepped foot inside a WWE ring before.

However, recently, WWE has been stopping that. The two examples I can think of are Albert/Lord Tensai & Skip Sheffield/Ryback.

My question to you is...do you agree? Do you think WWE is finally treating fans with more respect, or is this just a coincidence?

Vicera is not the best example, since they were clear about his past as Mabel.
They did refer to Tensai as a former WWE champion but never gave the name.
There are a few others they have done this way, going both for and against revealing past names. It all comes down to what could be good for exposure for the wrestler. Remember Al Snow and his various incarnations that lead to his time as leader of JOB Squad. They often referred to his past as Aldo Montoya and others. It all depends on what they want to do for the role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back