Does CM Punk have The Right To Be Upset About The Rock Main-Eventing Wrestlemania?

GI Cake

Thank God For Sodamy.
Note Mods: Although this is a thread about CM Punks Promo this touches on the main idea behind my thread. The Thread is about CM Punk and his disagreements with the WWE.

Last Monday the world was of wrestling was hit by a dozen truth missles that were fired from WWE Superstar CM Punk. In Punks shoot promo at the end of Raw he touched on a ton of things. He complained about how the WWE didn't give him the praise he thought he deserved. He spoke about how Vince could make more money.

But one thing that stood out to me was CM Punk's tone of voice when it came when he spoke about Dwayne Johnson. Or shall I say, The Rock. As most of us know The Rock, after vanishing from the face of professional wrestling for almost 7 years he came back to host last years Wrestlemania and now main-eventing next years Wrestlemania. CM Punk sounded really upset when he spoke about The Rocks return. In Punks words "The fact that Dwayne is in the Main Event at Wrestlemania and I am not makes me sick."

Now CM Punk has been with the WWE for at least 6 years now and has been a house hold name among wrestling fans. He was a three time world champion, a Intercontinental champion, ECW Champion(defunct) and tag team champion with Kofi Kingston. Needless to say up until this shoot the WWE has been very good to Punk. He really worked hard and it has shown in his mic work, and his ring work.

Now I ask you

1. If given the chance, should Punk Main-Event at next years Mania over The Rock?

2. Does CM Punk have the right to be upset over The Rock at Wrestlemania?

3. Do you think Punk will return to the WWE ? If so will he be billed as a Main-Eventer once again?

Yes, he has the right to be upset. I marked out on February 14th 2011, when The Rock returned to the WWE, and made some bullshit comments. He literally said "he is never going away"...4 months later....uhh...I don't care if he goes Hollywood, that's his own life, he can do what he wants. But when he comes onto a show with a dozen superstars in the back with much MORE talent (Punk, Del Rio, Ziggler, McIntyre, Miz) and plans a match for WM, one year in advance, that is BULLSHIT. He comes back for a Wrestlemania and opens the show with catchphrases that were funny 12 years ago? The WWE burns their own TV time on him for his birthday, the production team make a kick-ass tribute/birthday package, which is basically code for Vince saying "Rock, please stay"....but he leaves AGAIN. This past year I realized how great of a superstar Stone Coid is...

Stone Cold is the greatest because he worked Tough Enough, he appears in Wrestlemanias, he comes to Raw 2-4 times a year, and he barely gets a reaction when he enters. If people like SCSA barely get reactions, that means people are used to seeing him, which is a hell of a good thing. The Rock can't diss WWE in an interview, saying "I want to be known as Dwayne, not The Rock", and then be in a Wrestlemania "dream match". My respect for Randy, Cena, and Punk have tripled just because I love hearing people bashing the Rock.

No.

CM Punk is a great talent. He can talk, he can go in the ring, he has a very compelling character. He very well may be the best in the world today by some standards.

Then you have The Rock. His latest move, Fast Five, made 600 million dollars. Wrestlemania 27, with Rock headlining, was the second PPV ever to draw 1 million buys at let's say 50 dollars a buy. In other words, this year alone, Rock has drawn over half a billion dollars and he hasn't been in a single match. Rock is mainstream, a success, and someone people will pay to see. By the time Wrestlemania 28 rolls around, it will have been 8 years since Rock was in the ring. He'll be 39 years old and in his home town. Without him wrestling, the company had 1.1 million buys. With him against the biggest star in the world and in a match literally over a year in the making, how big do you think it'll be?

In short, a lot bigger than any match Punk has ever had. Punk has zero right to be jealous. When he draws money like Rock does, he can complain.

The Rock said it all in his tweet reply: "CM Punk: it's simple business - The Rock is the main event at Wrestlemania cause it draws more money in one night, then u will in lifetime."

You want to talk about truth missiles, that's a truth nuke right there. If CM Punk could get half the buys "Dwayne" would without even being on WWE full time, CM Punk would main event Wrestlemania. Don't get me wrong, I love CM Punk, he's my favorite wrestler in the WWE right now and one of my 5 favorites of all time. I'm not exaggerating when I say I will stop watching Raw if he leaves. But make no mistake. "Dwayne" drew more money for the WWE in the couple weeks he was back earlier this year than Punk has in his entire career.

So to answer your questions:

1.Of course not. Unless you want the buyrate to bomb.

2.Of course not. And I don't believe he really is. He gets that Dwayne is a bigger draw in his sleep than Punk will ever be.

3.I don't think he's leaving. But if he does, I would bet my house on him coming back and he absolutely will be billed as a main eventer.

in a way he does, because if you're a pro wrestler then your dream would most likely be to main event a WRESTLEMANIA, but he also isn't and never ever will be the talent that the Rock is, the Rock is more then just a Icon in the ring, he as a celebrity/person is one too, people that don't know wrestling know the rock, people care about the Rock, beside the Hardcore fans who want differentiate themselves to the rest of the public by saying Punk is the best in the world are the fans Vince will never care about, because those fans will never ever be happy, those same fans wanted orton to be the next stone cold, now that he's given the chance to excel he's boring, he's horrible in the ring/mic,

in the end the Rock will always be the biggest star ever produced by WWE whilst Punk will just be another guy who was really good at what he did,

The Rock's tweet basically is the point.

Cena v Rock is going to be a huge draw. tbh with you i can't ever imagine CM Punk maineventing wrestlemania in the future. The only ones i see being in the mainevent in the next 5 years at wrestlemania are

John Cena
The Miz
Randy Orton
John Morrison (Yeah that john morrrison. The guy is going to be a huge star when he wins that 1st world title)
The Rock
Triple H

I could see maybe Ziggler and Jackson. Jackson is the new batista imo. Ziggler has the right look.

I honestly believe at this point of the promo, CM Punk's working shoot was leaning towards the "work" aspect. I'm sure CM Punk understands why The Rock is headlining WM, even the biggest smarks in the world understands that.

If CM Punk is upset I would think its less to do with The Rock actually main eventing WM, rather than him not being used to the best of his capacity. I guess The Rock sample is just well a sample.

No, Punk should not be in the main event over Rock... or even Orton by the way

No, he has no right to be upset with another man for being successfull and a house hold name among EVERYONE... maybe if Punk does that he can main event 7 years after being a top grossing movie star.. hear that Punk, that all you gotta do, it's simple

The truth of the matter is that the WWE will be alright with or without him, he even said that.... hell, Austin stated that after his last match. The whole I'm just a gear thing.

I am not saying that CM Punk is not a man who can easily be main event caliber.. of course he is.... but guess what... most of the men in WWE have some of what it takes to headline a show and it that's the way that it has always been... that has pretty much been the makeup of that organization since the eighties... it's just that some people nowadays cant understand that they are a no longer a big fish in a small pond but a big fish in "the ocean"... back in the day we never heard Harley Race do a shoot interview about having more experience than Hogan, lol... look at this list of names --- Curt Hennig, Kerry Von Erich, Jerry Lawler, Harley Race, Arn Andeson, Dusty Rhodes, Rick Martel, Ron Simmons, Ricky Steamboat and many many more... these are guys that had the ability and the past experience to show that they were main event caliber... but once they got to WWE they knew where they were and understood that there were certain giants who had incredible drawing ability, or who were "whales in the ocean." Were they always happy, probably not... but they understood where they were... hell, even Ric Flair was more humble than a lot of these random guys nowadays, when he get his 1992 stint... and while Flair was given a rumble win and a "double" main event WM slot, he was not treated any better that Punk as far as title wins and tv time goes.

p.s. I would compare CM Punk talking an fueds to Jake the Snake... that is a great compliment too... but if Jake had have headlined WM every year would Punk be making the money he makes today... why doesn't he be like Macho Man and Ricky Steamboat and take advantage of the large draw by stealing the show

I think what we are seeing here is the makings of Punk stepping up. Going above and beyond the bounds that WWE has put on him over the years. To me this is something that MANY wrestlers have done in the past.

Look at Stone Cold. When he came to WWE he was in reality a nobody. Did work on ECW/WCW but never really took off. And once he started turning on the heat the people embraced him and he became LARGER than life.

The Rock: Remember the good ole days when Rock had a horrible Jerrycurl and came out looking like the color blue threw up on him? It was bad. And again The Rock went above and beyond to become the Hollywood Superstar that he is.

Now back to my point. CM Punk and others do have a right to be pissed. TThe Rock hasnt wrestled in over 7 years. And automatically he get the main event?? This is the equalivent of you having a huge President job for 7 years and then some ass clown comes back and demands his job back and you go back to pushing papers.

Does The Rock make money?? Yes he does. But saying that Fast 5 was a blockbuster because of him is very far fetched. It grossed because F&F Series has built that reputation. Just because The Rock is in it didnt mean that it was going to be a success. Rock hosting Wrestlemania this year was an absolute Joke. I was one of the Millions that ordered the PPV and was very disappointed. And the next night on Raw I was even more disappointed.

Rock vs Cena is (in my opinion) basically Hogan vs Sid from WM7. HORRIBLE!!! And you know the outcome of this match before it even happens.
1. Fans will choose there side. "Lets go Cena" "CENA SUCKS"
2. Rock will dominate the match
3. Children will cry
4. Cena comes back. (In typical Cena 5 move fashion)
5. Children Cheer
6. Rock kicks out lands Rock bottom, peoples elbow.
7. Big Pops
8. Cena kicks out and ends match with Rocks own move.

There is the Spoiler!!!!

So now back to my point about CM Punk. Should he be Main Eventing WM? HELL YES!!! And I know the perfect way to do it. CM PUNK vs The Streak!!!!!! EPIC!!! MAtch would be a hell of a lot better than Rock/Cena. Does this work??? Yes it does. In fact if WWE wants to put Punk in the drivers seat what better way than to do it by ENDING the Streak. 19-1 sounds great to me, Does it to anyone else????

i can totally understand why punk is upset and to be honest he has a right to be upset in a way. he's been busting his ass for 6 years only to get knocked over by the rock who all the attention goes to.

BUT the truth is, that CM Punk is not and never will be a fraction of a draw The Rock is. The Rock is the wun whos gonna be selling out wrestlemania, the rock is the wun who everywuns gonna be talking about and the rock is really gonna be the only wun who anywun outside wrestling fans is gonna care about. Not only is it a good business move to have The Rock over CM Punk, its also a much better wrestling storyline. You have a dream match that people have been dying to see for 7yrs and never thought would happen. And the fact that The Rock is still outperforming most if not all of the WWE locker room, of coarse the wrestlers (punk, orton) are gonna be a little salty. I can definately see where CM Punk is upset, but lets be real. The Rock is an ICON in the wrestling world, and can still go. Rock hit it right on the head. As good as Punk is, hes never gonna draw a crum of the amount Rock would.

And for those of you who talk about the rock using the same catch phrases he did 12yrs ago, doesnt it just kill you to know that he still shits on everywuns mic skills today? Rock is so repetitive in your eyes, but he still talks circles around anywun on the roster...isn't is just ...."AWSOME"?...(like thats such a great and creative catch phrase) lmaoo

No.
The Rock draws MONEY.
CM Punk doesn't have a history YET, but this promo may have launched him.

WWE went from declining WM buys in consecutive years to the ROCK bringing it back over a million.

Business wise WWE is smart to have ROCK in the Main Event.

The main reason CM Punk isn't main eventing the Wrestlemania is because he isn't at that level yet & he sure as hell isn't on the same level as The Rock.

Cena vs The Rock makes logical sense in passing the torch. Andre passed it to Hogan, Hogan to Rock & now Rock to Cena.

Being the best wrestler is nothing more than who brings in the most money. People can give Hogan, Rock, Cena shit for using 5 moves. But those moves people know.

Plus apparently Punk doesn't care enough to resign with the WWE. So he can take his ball & go home talking about how he's the best in the world while not being on t.v.

No he doesn't, and it should be a foregone conclusion. The WWE is a business with the sole purpose of making money. CM Punk vs John Cena is just not going to make as much money as John Cena vs The Rock. You can argue all you want how Punk hasn't been given the opportunity to draw yet but why should Vince and company feel obligated to give him the chance when they have a surefire cash cow sitting in their lap?

There are a lot of things that Punk said that were clearly from the heart, but unless he is the cockiest person to ever grace the ring, there were also a lot of things that he said that were still in full character. I have to believe this is one of them, as I'm sure Punk isn't a legit moron.

CM punk has the right to be upset not to be in the main event of wrestlemania, he is clearly that ambitious. But realistic speaking, I`m sure he is smart enough to understand why The Rock is in the main event and that tweet explained it all. As much as I love CM Punk, The Rock is a bigger draw that he`ll ever be...wrestling don`t make such big star anymore. WWE is a business at the end of the day, a lot of people are angry every year about who are the headliners..truth is they often don`t have a realistic point. Like someone pointed already, he probably said this in character.
The problem with CM Punk tho is not that he is not in the next year`s main event, he is constantly under-used and that has nothing to do with The Rock. Let`s hope that changes, he does stay and will be one of the headliners because he really is the best thing about wrestling today.

No.

CM Punk is a great talent. He can talk, he can go in the ring, he has a very compelling character. He very well may be the best in the world today by some standards.

Then you have The Rock. His latest move, Fast Five, made 600 million dollars. Wrestlemania 27, with Rock headlining, was the second PPV ever to draw 1 million buys at let's say 50 dollars a buy. In other words, this year alone, Rock has drawn over half a billion dollars and he hasn't been in a single match. Rock is mainstream, a success, and someone people will pay to see. By the time Wrestlemania 28 rolls around, it will have been 8 years since Rock was in the ring. He'll be 39 years old and in his home town. Without him wrestling, the company had 1.1 million buys. With him against the biggest star in the world and in a match literally over a year in the making, how big do you think it'll be?

In short, a lot bigger than any match Punk has ever had. Punk has zero right to be jealous. When he draws money like Rock does, he can complain.

Wow...literally perfect. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Although Punk is probably my favorite wrestler currently, he does not have a reason to be upset that Rock is main-eventing. I'd venture to say that 95% of wrestling fans want to see Cena vs. Rock over all other possible "dream matches" or run of the mill main-events, and 100% of non-wrestling fans would only be intrigued if that was the main-event. Still, I think Stone Cold has the Mania itch, and I think they're gonna start slowly building a Austin/Punk match. The seeds have already been planted.

No Punk doesn't have the right to be pissed because lets face it, Punk will never be The Rock and he will never draw like The Rock.

Rock vs Cena = main event at Wrestlemania
Punk vs Cena = main event on free TV.

Says it all really.

No, he doesn't. All this talk about Rock stealing the spotlight is ridiculous because he stayed out of the spotlight for seven years, and finally he's come back to give the fans exactly what they've wanted for those seven years. So nobody can get mad at him for that.

Number two, wrestlemania never has just one main event. Rock/Cena will be considered the main event, but if it's not for the title, you have two other main events, and Punk could easily be put into a WWE title match.

Number three, Punk can talk about how big he could be if the WWE marketed him, but until they do, he needs to stfu because Rock is still a huge draw and Punk is not, therefore Rock should be in the main event and not him. Unless he was on a rocket ship to the top and Rock main eventing would screw it up, he shouldn't complain.

I understand what Punk is saying. These current wrestlers are busting their ass all year long for the company. Then when WM comes along Rock shows up and is in the main event. I can see why he would be bitter.

But at the end of the day it comes down to money. The Rock is more like a big celebrity draw than he is a wrestler anymore. Same reason why they just had Snooki and Snoop at Wrestlemania and Sheamus vs Daniel Byran got bumped off WM.

does Punk have a right/point? Obviously. Working all the WWE dates just to have some guy come back whenever he wants and get the top spot on the top event of the year isn't exactly fair.

However I'm sure in real life Punk understands why The Rock gets the main event, he draws, its good business, and its also want fans want to see

Yes.

Cm Punk has every right in the world to be upset about The Rock main eventing wrestlemania. The Rock was gone for 7 years and all of a sudden he's allowed to just come back and headline wrestlemania? BULLCRAP!!!!! He never even gave us a retirement speech and told us he was leaving, all of a sudden he was just not there anymore. You have guys like Cm Punk, Dolph Ziggler, heck even Jack Swagger out on the road busting their butts 350 days out of the year and he's just allowed to walk in and main event for the wwe title when guys like ziggler and kingston haven't even had a legit shot at the title yet. The reason Rock was so offended is because he knows Cena and Orton were right about him. Cm Punk is one of the best if not the best wrestler in the world today but he gets pushed to the side for the pretty boy VKM butt kissers like Orton and Cena. Orton is where he is only because of his name, Cena is where he is because he kissed VKM's butt, and triple h, well that one is pretty self explanitory. If the wwe was truly based on talent Cm Punk would be wwe champion and Daniel Bryan would be main eventing. So I say yes, CM Punk has every right in the world to be upset because it's total bull.

Everyone keeps forgetting what the point of Wrestlemania is, from the WWE's perspective. The point is to get as many buys as possible and make as much money as possible. If CM Punk truly understood and appreciated the business he'd realize that The Rock headlining Wrestlemania IN HIS HOMETOWN, most likely after being inducted into the Hall of Fame the night before, will make more money than Punk could ever dream of.

Come on, Punk vs. Cena or Cena vs. The Rock? Cena vs. The Rock might be the biggest or at least most hyped Wrestlemania match of all time.

To answer your questions: No, No, yes,yes

The Rock is in the main event of WM28 because he can draw money. CM Punk can draw too, but Rock draws more. Millions of people want to see Cena vs Rock, but does that mean Punk shouldn't have been given a chance to try and make the main event? Of course not.

It's like when you have a job for the last six years and there's a huge promotion coming up. Through those six years you've been working your ass off every night and now you think you deserve the promotion so you work even harder. Then here comes a guy who used to do your job and he automatically gets the promotion just by walking into the door. It really isn't that fair, is it?

If Dwayne actually loved the business he would move the hell over and let some of the younger guys shine

Move over?! The guy has barely been on WWE tv in the last decade. He is coming back for ONE MATCH, thats all. And so what if he is headlining WM, his return to the ring is the biggest match in WWE for many years. It absolutely should be the main event, plus he is wrestling the biggest name in the business today. Another reason why it is main event. He isnt on TV every week is he? So how is this whole basically Rock-free decade stopping othersf rom becoming stars. What a bullshit comment. Wrestlers like Ric Flair, Jeff Jarrett and other veterans are the ones who should move over to let others shine, The Rock is not there enough for this comment to actually be in the slightest bit valid. His return is onyl a good thing for the WWE and the business. It generates interest in the WWE, more than there has been for years, lets young wrestlers a master at work on the mic, and gives them something to aspire to and learn from.

Let the younger guys shine?! They all have plenty of time to shine in the ring. The Rock has been on TV a few times this year, yeah he has taken a little of the spotlight whenever he has appeared but so what?! The guy is a fucking superstar and deserves every bit of TV time he gets in the business. The Rock is one of the main reasons why WWE is as big as it is, he was one of the key names during the companys biggest boom period, one of the most famous guys in the history of the business, and should be remembered as such.

All the "young" guys on the roster are not being affected by The Rock headlining WM, that PPV is where the BIGGEST matches are held. The Rock v John Cena is the biggest match, so it should headline. There is nothing in the WWE that could compete with that match, so its right this one-off contest should be the main event. At every WM one title match misses out on the main event, so for a one-off this year there is nothing wrong with Rock v Cena as the main event.

1. If given the chance, should Punk Main-Event at next years Mania over The Rock?

No. Rock v Cena is far bigger than anything Punk will be involved in. The biggest match should main event, the fans are paying to see Rock v Cena. That is the money match.

2. Does CM Punk have the right to be upset over The Rock at Wrestlemania?

I can see why guys in the back would be, as he IS coming in and taking the spot they have all worked for, but its a BUSINESS and Rock v Cena will make the most money. Wrestlers get their spots if they draw money. Cena and The Rock both do, better than anyone else. CM Punk is nowhere near that level, as good as he is.

3. Do you think Punk will return to the WWE ? If so will he be billed as a Main-Eventer once again?

I am doubting he is leaving, but if he does of course he will be a main eventer when he returns. Punk is one of the few genuine stars in the business right now, and the hottest wrestler on the planet due to that promo this week. If he leaves he will be the biggest-name free agent out there, and his return would be huge. He would be treated like a headliner as soon as he returned.

he has every right to be upset , The Rock's time is up and its times for other stars to rise , and how is John Cena even in the main event? as a adult wrestling fan i dont consider him the face of the company , i mean where is his face at? all over cups? along with randy orton , rey mysterio , etc.
as far as the rock it should be cm punk headlining wrestlemania , vince got his head so far up his ass he's going to lose one of his top wrestlers , and for what? to see the rock wrestle 1 more time? its dumb and we all know Cena is going to win.

Definitely.

CM Punk is one of the hardest working guys in the biz. He doesn't have any crosses against his name. Word is that he isn't well liked backstage but even his haters have a lot of respect for him. He is one of the best promo-cutters since, well, The Rock. He could promote the shit out of a 'Mania main event.

Then you have The Rock. Undoubtedly one of the best all round entertainers in the history of sports entertainment. The Great One. His name alone will draw for this.
But the guy hasn't had a match in like 8 years! And towards the end his matches were on a downhill slope. Although his name will draw, that doesn't mean the match will be great. I just can't see him putting in the necessary amount of time. IMO, this match has to go for a good 25 minutes and I just don't think he could keep up.

So really it's a matter of perspective:
If you want to see the WWE make even more money off hard working people, then Rock's the guy you need. WM27 sold well but the card sucked (IMO). But if you want a real classic match that, although it mightn't sell as well, could go down as one of the best WM matches ever I'd take Punk.

Either way, this will be good. But I believe Punk has a legitimate gripe. Especially if he re-signs with the company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back