Do Low Ratings Spell Doomsday For Daniel Bryan?

Bryan's Push? Are Its Days Numbered?

• Yes - It's a matter of time before Bryan slips back to mid-card status

• No - Bryan will be able to prove himself in the long run as CM Punk has

• Undecided - It's too soon to tell and MIGHT depend on the numbers for television & ppvs

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
This past Monday on Raw, the show drew a 2.68 Nielsen rating with an average audience of 3.58 million viewers, making it the lowest rated Raw of 2013. As a result, a lot of dirtsheet writers are now predicting doom for Daniel Bryan since he's been elevated into the top babyface spot in WWE with John Cena out injured. It's a lousy rating, no two ways about it. There's a pretty good number of fans, at least internet fans if no one else, that've had some trepidation in terms of Bryan's push. Many have been expecting WWE to pull the rug out from under him since the moment this big push towards the WWE Championship was announced. As I alluded to earlier, some dirtsheet writers are expecting it to happen as well due to ratings or ppv buys not being what WWE wants or expects. At this point, however, is that really the way it is?

It's a bad rating and there's still a lot of time left in the year for even worse numbers to show. That being said, it's a stronger number than Raw pulled for the 10-1-12 episode, which drew a 2.54 and it's still far higher than the show lows of 2.2 and 2.32 during the last week of December. I also seem to recall a lot of people predicting disaster for CM Punk during this same time last year. After all, WWE had all hands on deck with CM Punk, John Cena, Sheamus and Randy Orton all over the place, yet Raw's ratings still tanked. Comparing the ratings from the same time period last year to now, WWE's numbers are actually a little better now than in 2012, according to gerweck.net, so far:

Raw Rating against MNF 2012 - Week 1: 2.89
Raw Rating against MNF 2012 - Week 2: 2.86
Raw Rating against MNF 2012 - Week 3: 2.72
Raw Rating against MNF 2012 - Week 4: 2.54
Raw Rating average against MNF 2013 - Month 1: 2.75

Raw Rating against MNF 2013 - Week 1: 2.9
Raw Rating against MNF 2013 - Week 2: 2.96
Raw Rating against MNF 2013 - Week 3: 2.81
Raw Rating against MNF 2013 - Week 4. 2.68
Raw Rating average against MNF 2013 - Month 1: 2.84

While the ratings aren't exactly stellar, as I said, they're still better than they were during the exact same period of time last year, nor are they the ratings after DVR viewership is calculated. I'd say that the lowest rating of Raw this year will be the episode that airs on December 25th, Christmas Day.

As far as ppv buys go, it's been reported that SummerSlam 2013 drew right at about 300,000 buys. This show was headlined by Cena vs. Bryan whereas 2012 was headlined by Triple H vs. Lesnar. Punk vs. Cena vs. Big Show was also on the card but the genuine main event was Trips vs. Lesnar. SummerSlam 2011, however, which was headlined by Punk vs. Cena in their return match from Money in the Bank, drew 296,000. Still, unlike some predicted, WWE didn't pull the plug on Punk's push. Now I've never expected Bryan to be the "face" of WWE and I don't expect it when Cena returns. However, I don't think he's going to be shuffled back down the card as he's too talented and popular.

While it could happen to Daniel Bryan, I don't expect it too. New wrestlers elevated into the main event spot don't become mega draws overnight, at least the vast majority of them don't. As I pointed out, Raw's numbers weren't exactly stellar during the same time last year and this was with more firmly established main eventers headlining the show.

Do you think WWE will ultimately kill Bryan's push?

No, at the end of the day they have ballsed up the story. The refund requests after Summerslam showed that in the main, people like and want to watch D-Bry as the top guy. But he's been sidelined almost, it's all about HHH, Steph, Big Show the Rhodes... he's not getting the shot people expected and people aren't buying in like they did with Punk.

I can see them pulling the plug but the backlash would hurt them more... DB wins at Battleground and then if they're crap after Survivor Series then he has a problem.

Punk didn't exactly draw big either in ratings. The numbers that will harm Bryan more than the ratings however is the PPV buys, the huge drop in Summerslam sales this year is not a good sign and if this continues for Night of Champions and beyond then it will be bad for Bryan.

I knew this would happen. The Summerslam finish was awful. I haven't been able to watch a full RAW since. It's all about Triple H, Stephanie, The Family, and the unwatchable crying Big Show.

What any of those people have to do with Daniel Bryan is beyond me.

Why Justin Labar and the WWE marks are loving it so much is also beyond my comprehension.

Bryan should have won the belt and that was that. Now he's a 2 time champion, yet neither reign really counts or will be remembered. They've f*cked this up just like they did Punk in 2011.

Bryan's a wrestler. Fans wanted to see him wrestle. Not talk business with the family. Bryan's whole momentum was based on how he pumped energy into the building with the YES chants. Talking segments with the family kill that energy. It's not what Bryan's good at. It's what Triple H is good at. The reason the storyline is a failure is because it's showcasing The McMahon family's strengths, not Bryan's.

No one wanted this. But they gave it to us anyway. Bryan will eventually get a legitimate run as champ but by that time I won't care. A joke's not funny the 5th time you hear it. And by the time Bryan wins the title for real it will probably be his 5th reign in less than a few months. People won't pop as loudly as they should when it happens after so many false finishes these past few months. That's BAD BOOKING.

I said this all from the start and received nothing but hate and disagreement from everyone who marked out when Orton cashed in. Nice to see I was right all along.

It's not Bryan that's bad for ratings. It's TRIPLE H. It's the MCMAHONS. It's CRYING BIG SHOW. No one asked for this. Their presence in Daniel Bryan's push is an answer to a question NO ONE asked.

like i said before many many times i know everyone is sick of hearing me say this, but when d bryan won the belt last ppv, i lost all interest in the whole angle. it was like storyline suicide, terrible for business! wwe really needs to work this out, we're sick of seeing the build up to bryan. i hope that wwe will point the blame on bryan other than the rhodes family. this needs to be over orton/bryan needs to end this sunday. i want big show to knock out d bryan. and let orton win it back. leading to show/bryan and rhodes/orton for the wwe championship lets be honest d bryan aint is good as people makes d bryan out to be. after awhile any wwe superstar will be worn out if put into horrible storylines.

Since about Summerslam I've lost interest in WWE. I didn't care for the ppv itself and pretty much every Raw since has been lame. Im a fan of DB, but I really don't care for the angle. Stephanie is annoying as fuck. Big Show is involved for some reason and can't go a week without crying. Orton is still just as boring as before. The Shield have gone from the hounds of justice to the neutered puppies of HHH and Stephanie. Not to mention this stale CM Punk/Paul Heyman angle.

I had high hopes and once again WWE disappoints. Fuck me, right?

I knew this would happen. The Summerslam finish was awful. I haven't been able to watch a full RAW since. It's all about Triple H, Stephanie, The Family, and the unwatchable crying Big Show.

What any of those people have to do with Daniel Bryan is beyond me.

Why Justin Labar and the WWE marks are loving it so much is also beyond my comprehension.

Bryan should have won the belt and that was that. Now he's a 2 time champion, yet neither reign really counts or will be remembered. They've f*cked this up just like they did Punk in 2011.

Bryan's a wrestler. Fans wanted to see him wrestle. Not talk business with the family. Bryan's whole momentum was based on how he pumped energy into the building with the YES chants. Talking segments with the family kill that energy. It's not what Bryan's good at. It's what Triple H is good at. The reason the storyline is a failure is because it's showcasing The McMahon family's strengths, not Bryan's.

No one wanted this. But they gave it to us anyway. Bryan will eventually get a legitimate run as champ but by that time I won't care. A joke's not funny the 5th time you hear it. And by the time Bryan wins the title for real it will probably be his 5th reign in less than a few months. People won't pop as loudly as they should when it happens after so many false finishes these past few months. That's BAD BOOKING.

I said this all from the start and received nothing but hate and disagreement from everyone who marked out when Orton cashed in. Nice to see I was right all along.

It's not Bryan that's bad for ratings. It's TRIPLE H. It's the MCMAHONS. It's CRYING BIG SHOW. No one asked for this. Their presence in Daniel Bryan's push is an answer to a question NO ONE asked.

If DB can't cut a promo, then he doesn't belong in the main event. Period. That's why they have to have him talk in the ring against HHH, Orton, etc. You call him a wrestler. Well even good wrestlers can still wrestle well at the bottom of the card. DB needs to be able to tell a story. He's great at doing that in the ring, but if he can't do it on the mic he's going to fail. Look at guys like Rock, Austin, Cena, Punk. Their skills in the ring vary, but the one thing they have in common? Mic skills. That's why they're main eventers. If you want DB to succeed, he needs to talk.

As for his push being halted for ratings, I don't think so. At least not so soon. Ratings are always down during football season. Especially during a week where two 3-0 teams played. However, I will say that the story they're trying to tell is too convoluted. We know HHH/Stephanie are supposed to be the heels, but they don't always act that way. We know Orton is supposed to be the Corporate champion, yet they took the belt away from him and didn't give it back. Big Show crying too much is annoying. They haven't established a set group of who's going against the Shield until this (likely temporary) feud with the Rhodes'.

They've taken what should be a simple story and made it overly complicated. Frankly, I've begun to tune it out. The best parts of Raw are easily Punk/Heyman/Ryback and the Rhodes family. They've screwed up the main storyline so much, I wouldn't be surprised if that's one reason people are tuning out.

Anyone for John Cena?

So many of you "hate" him or are "bored" with him, but it sure seems possible the reason for the low ratings might be the fact he's not there. Daniel Bryan is doing fine as top babyface, but he's not John Cena.....and I wouldn't be surprised if, as weeks go by, more fans start to realize he's not there and isn't expected back soon.....and tune out. (I still maintain that most people who watch WWE programming aren't true wrestling fans who get the news from the Internet, as we do. They only know that Cena isn't there when they turn on Raw. If the announcers mention he's out for a long time, casual viewers come to know it after a time).

The love/hate inspired by Cena reminds me of a poll I read of that was done in the 1970's. People were invited to vote for their "most loved" sportscaster and their "most hated." Howard Cosell won both categories.

That's John Cena. WWE management doesn't care if he's loved or hated; that he gets things stirred up is what makes him #1......so don't get discouraged with Daniel Bryan or CM Punk for not drawing like Cena.....because no one does.

It is disheartening to see how quick people are jumping off the bandwagon. I trust that WWE has a bigger picture in mind. Orton and Bryan are having a great rivalry and now with the plugging in of Bryan's fiance it will get even more personal. Orton is becoming the viper of old. I wouldnt be surprised if he does another act like he did to Stephanie and Trips before WM25. Big Show's story will pay off. He is a giant about to explode. The Rhodes family story is being used to set up Cody's rise to the WHC. The people who are behind Bryan will become more evident before SS. I still believe this is leading to a huge payoff at WM30 with a match of Orton vs. Bryan.

I love the direction they are going. The funny thing is the boards have been full of people upset at WWE for not having long term stories anymore. Now that they are building one everyone is upset. Choose a side! If you dont know where this is going, well thats the point. How many times has WWE been ahead of the IWC? This is some of the best material I have seen in WWE in a while. Its different, its changing, and its interesting.

So the ratings are up from last year without John Cena and any of the big name part-timers. Surely that is a good thing. I'm not saying this is because of Daniel Bryan, because I doubt it is, but that shows more people are watching Raw.

What Vince McMahon thinks is completely different. Now, I imagine Vince standing next to a graph which depict the ratings and thinking:
1) Get Cena back on TV
2) Why the fuck did I let my big-nosed son-in-law put this indie guy at the forefront of my company.

I really doubt that Bryan has failed the WWE but in the same way a higher rating than last year is not purely down to Bryan; the lowest of the year isn't his fault either. There are a number of factors that influence ratings, both direct and indirect, and I can't fault Bryan. What Vince and the WWE think is different and they may pull the plug - I doubt it - but still a possibility.

If the end result of Bryan being in such an important role is an increase in PPV buys and the highest number of any Wrestlemania then it will all be worth it. That is what McMahon and the WWE hold paramount and the Bryan v Regime feud may help that.

the ratings should never be blamed on a single wrestler. thats just stupid and ignorant. bryan is not the only person on the show. hes not even alone it the current ME storyline. orton and HHH are right there with him. hell the ratings are actually better than they were a yr ago, as you showed.

Daniel Bryan is super over with the IWC and the hardcore smarky fans. But the casual fans are not going to tune in to see this hobbit of a man are they? His diehard fans can deny it all they want but Bryan isn't a draw and never will be.

The casuals will come back for Lesnar, Rock, Taker, Austin, Hogan etc BUT Daniel Bryan will hold no interest whatsoever, just like CM Punk.

Daniel Bryan is super over with the IWC and the hardcore smarky fans. But the casual fans are not going to tune in to see this hobbit of a man are they? His diehard fans can deny it all they want but Bryan isn't a draw and never will be.

The casuals will come back for Lesnar, Rock, Taker, Austin, Hogan etc BUT Daniel Bryan will hold no interest whatsoever, just like CM Punk.

Ahh, the usual bullshit argument of past indy darlings still having the same core audience. Are you trying to tell me that 2,000 to 20,000 cheering his name on a daily basis (including house shows) constitutes the IWC? That would make the IWC 100% of WWE's audience currently, which obviously isn't true. I can't stand fans like you that just won't let Bryan or any other steroid-free not-WWE made wrestler have their moment. If you think that gaining ratings is the only thing that makes up a draw then you are clueless. Bryan is absolutely a draw factoring in everything. You know what a draw really is? Pleasing your fan base so that they spread the word to other people to watch the product, which I know first-hand has happened whilst Bryan has been on top. In fact, my friend asked me the other day 'What's the golden age of wrestling i've been hearing about recently?' Yeahhh.....

Bryan isn't overrated, you know what is? Ratings. The Nielsen's don't mean shit and they haven't for years. Up until this season Breaking Bad was only gaining ratings in the 1.0's, but was still the most talked about show on TV. That is because you have to factor in the many, many international fans that watch on the internet or Netflix or DVD. Many American fans don't understand this, there are more people watching around the world than in your country, obviously. I would take word of mouth/people talking/buzz over Nielsen ratings in this day and age any day, because, longevity wise, that will work better. Just like it did for Breaking Bad.

You are trolling arent you? You realize Lesnar headlined WMXIX with Austin, Hogan, and Rock were in the 2nd and 3rd top matches in the card and had the lower buy rate compared to WM17, 18, and 20. I am not knocking WMXIX since it's my favorite WM, but your argument doesn't hold.

I wouldn't worry about this much, I think many naysayers last two years ago (i.e. Vince McMahon anti-Indy apologists) were saying the same think with CM Punk. Fast forward to now he's still the 2nd/3rd face of the Company. So I think Bryan will be fine in the long run.

Afterall at this point besides Cena who else would the WWE trust as their top guys aside from Daniel Bryan and CM Punk? WWE Trield with Del Rio as a face (failed), Ziggler (To be determined), and Sheamus (did ok but nothing spectacular) and the results were no better.

I don't see them halting the push because I feel like they've gotten too far into it to stop it without everybody being "wtf happened". I think the ratings were down because of the football game like they always are. A football game I should have been watching because this was really the first raw since SumerSlam I didn't enjoy. But in the end I say they don't pull the plug on Bryan's push because it's clear that he's over and they've invested too much time into this story to go back now.

I think the fact the ratings are up from last year answers the question, WWE wont halt Bryan's push, in fact I read that the 3rd hours has been the strongest the last few weeks and that's where most of his stuff features, for instance just last week the 11 on 3 tag that main evented Raw saw a great increase.

In fairness to Punk and Cena last year, they were stuck in a more difficult situation. Punk had made an out of the blue heel turn that most fans didn't like, Cena wasn't able to continue their feud at HIAC so Ryback was shoehorned in, and in truth everyone knew WWE were just in a holding pattern in January where Punk would give Rock the belt so he could pass it to Cena at Mania.

I mean I've been a fan for 25 years but between September and January I didn't watch any WWE I was so bored, before that I'd not missed a Raw since February 1997 when I first got cable in.

While this current storyline has hit some bumps in the road it's still way more interesting because there is an uncertainty over what is going to happen. I think the big problem is that the title has been messed about with and in truth Orton isn't the top heel, Triple H is and his feud is with Big Show, is anyone really excited about that pay-off match?

Bottom line for me is I'm a big fan of Bryan so I hope this angle finds it footing in the next few weeks, but I can't help but feel this is the angle they should have done between Triple H and Punk in 2011 as it really needs a great mic worker to take on The Game in an overall storyline, and the type of face that Punk is playing right now is what he should have been in 2011.

We seem to go through this every Fall and I agree with who said Ratings don't mean as much today as they did back during the MNW Era. MNF has been a huge factor in taking away from RAW's Ratings and we shouldn't be surprised by it. Daniel Bryan's push is not going anywhere and he will get his ultimate payoff.

For the people complaining about this angle and saying Summerslam was huge letdown. Your kidding me right? You must have been one of the ones wanting a refund for NOC too right?

These threads make me hate the IWC. The IWC isn't a bunch of Daniel Bryan or CM Punk fans. It's a bunch of dick riding monkeys who think they can read ratings and think talking in front of a crowd is a god given talent rather than a skill that is built up with practice.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it does it still make a sound?

Assuming this isn't all about the NFL, and I think it is, Daniel Bryan is screwed either way.

He's not the face of the company. He never was. That's John Cena's spot. Cena's injured. When he returns, he's right back in that spot. The plan was never to replace Cena. If that's what you thought was happening, that's your fault.

Bryan's a bad fit for this storyline which makes for bad television. Not his fault, it's just not for him. Are people tuning out because this storyline (which looked promising at one time) has gone south? Who knows. I'm still sticking with the idea of the NFL becoming more popular every year, and in the process, it beats Raw down worse and worse each year.

There's a report from PWInsider.com that states, as of right now, there's a lot of talk of him winning the 2014 Royal Rumble match. The report also states that there are plans currently in place through Survivor Series some main event plans for the Rumble. So, it's all kinda up in the air at this point really.

Earlier this year, several months ago at least, there were reports of WWE officials having Punk win the Royal Rumble match. Of course, plans can always change over time. Whether there's any rock solid truth to either of these stories is anybody's guess. IF, IF, IF they're positioning Bryan for a WWE Championship match for WrestleMania XXX, with him being the challenger, then that's a pretty strong sign that he's got a lot of support among the WWE brass.

1.Wrestling will never ever beat MNF.
2.2012:You have Cena,Punk,Shemaus,Orton and a up and rising massively over Ryback.Still ratings tanked,and they tanked bad.
2013:Cena's on shelf,You have McMahons vs the world crap storyline,a crying giant,Punk vs Heyman,still the ratings are better than last year.Yeah,Bryan Sucks.
3.Only thing that can halt Bryan's push are NOC & BG buyrates.If the are bad,I won't be surprised with Punk replacing Bryan.

It is disheartening to see how quick people are jumping off the bandwagon. I trust that WWE has a bigger picture in mind. Orton and Bryan are having a great rivalry and now with the plugging in of Bryan's fiance it will get even more personal. Orton is becoming the viper of old. I wouldnt be surprised if he does another act like he did to Stephanie and Trips before WM25. Big Show's story will pay off. He is a giant about to explode. The Rhodes family story is being used to set up Cody's rise to the WHC. The people who are behind Bryan will become more evident before SS. I still believe this is leading to a huge payoff at WM30 with a match of Orton vs. Bryan.

I love the direction they are going. The funny thing is the boards have been full of people upset at WWE for not having long term stories anymore. Now that they are building one everyone is upset. Choose a side! If you dont know where this is going, well thats the point. How many times has WWE been ahead of the IWC? This is some of the best material I have seen in WWE in a while. Its different, its changing, and its interesting.

Yeah, sames. The IWC make me :headscratch: sometimes.

Personally, I'm of the view that Randy should regain the belt at Battleground and get back on side with the McMahon's, and he needs to hold it till Wrestle Mania. At which point, Daniel Bryan (who will have won the royal rumble) needs to get his moment in the sun. Solidifying himself as main even material.

As for the CM punk story line, at some point Brock Lesnar is going to return, and personally I think he also needs to win the WHC at the Royal Rumble (or before) setting up Punk's shot at revenge from his loss to Lesnar at Summer Slam &, unlike HHH and Cena's respective rematches at WM29, this redemption we will actually give a shit about.

Leaving John Cena to face the Undertaker.

As many others have previously said, there is likely some correlation between the return of MNF and the corresponding decline in ratings. I wouldn't be too quick to use this as a major excuse, mind you, as Monday Night RAW has had to compete with MNF pretty much from day one. I'm never a big proponent of using extraneous excuses to justify a less than stellar ratings display.

I think part of the problem as well is that we are somewhat in storyline limbo. I understand the current storyline progression and the building of the Daniel Bryan character, which I think is working well and is definitely necessary to ultimately put him over huge. I think the payoff will be worth it when the time comes and hopefully ratings will indicate that. In the meantime, though, the story has become a little repetitive, a little predictable, and I think some people (myself included) are not drawn into this particular phase of the progression. I'm getting a little tired of super underdog Daniel Bryan versus the world, and I for one have been tuning it out. When it gets to where it's headed, I think fans will be invested and the ratings will show it. Meanwhile it's a little bit meh, and so are the ratings.

And if anyone think Daniel Bryan is going to be the face of the company after Cena returns, they're dreaming. Bryan is simply keeping Cena's seat warm until he returns in early 2014 and while I think he is elevating himself in the process, he's certainly not elevating himself to a point of replacing Cena. Frankly that's delusional.

It has nothing to do with Daniel Bryan, but in the end, I don't think it will matter. Why? Because WWE tries to tell us exactly that, every chance they get, that he and Punk are the problem. Does anyone watch Raw and hear HHH and Stephanie call Bryan a B+, or have Randy Orton present himself to Brie Bella as to what a "real man" looks like, and wonder if they truly believe it? They say it with conviction, don't they? As John Laurinitis said regarding CM Punk in the past, he supposedly 'looked more like a gas station attendant then WWE Champion'. Their biggest flaws, accentuated by the company itself, has been how they look.

Competition coming from the start of new fall programming, Monday Night Football, the World Series playoffs and the beginning of hockey season doesn't help either. Essentially its not competition from one place, it's from four. As different as the four are from one another, they have one important thing in common: They're beautiful, athletic people that are also the 'Best In The World' at what they do. Except in sports and in prime-time television, the strengths of the athletes are accentuated by announcers. As for most successful TV shows? By and large, they play to the strengths of the actors.

But within WWE, performers are inexplicably set up to fail, it seems, as the real-life bosses(HHH, Stephanie) appear on TV to highlight the flaws. Like sports and TV, it's entertainment, but unlike those programs, the modus operandi seems to be that talent doesn't truly matter, it's what you look like that counts most of all. The negative thinking with no reinforcement otherwise seems to indicate that WWE isn't serious about the performers on top, they're as appealing as a Jaguars/Browns Monday Night game.

I don't want to watch the Jaguars play the Browns, I want to see the Packers play the Broncos. Sadly, WWE is seemingly force-feeding the notion that what we're getting is Jags/Browns, while they should be trying to convince us we're getting Packers/Broncos.

Finally, and there's no way around it, but it's the 3rd time in 7 years that John Cena will miss the fall. Neither Punk or Daniel Bryan will ever be the draw John Cena is, but that is more a testament to Cena's incredible drawing ability, rather then disparaging with regards to the other two. But its important that WWE tells its audience that they're draws, and presents them in the best possible light.

No one can make up for the loss of Cena, as the three autumns that he's missed can attest to. But Cena not being there is a bigger factor than who they present as the top man in his absence. Unfortunately, in the case of Daniel Bryan, the man who fills his shoes will take the hit for the poor ratings.

It's similar to the coach who gets fired despite his team losing their QB for the year in Week 1, and their star RB in Week 5. He'll be blamed for not being able to hold the pieces in place despite injuries to his best players. Similar to how Bryan will be blamed for not being able to sustain ratings, in spite of Cena's absence, fall programming, and three sports, 1 entering its playoffs, and its too much for anyone to overcome.

Even a talent as exceptional as Daniel Bryan.

I think it has more to do with the same things happing every week no changes no surprise no twist nothing u see the same matches the same beat downs we need something new and a lot less of the Shield and the bullying of the big show

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back