Dewey Barnes & Norv Fernum: Should They Ever Have Been Signed?

MINISTRYrising

Championship Contender
Ever Since Norve Fernum and Dewey Barnes turned up a few months ago in a Squash match against EC3, Both guys just keep poping up and weather it be in a losing Effort against BroMan's or making up the Numbers in the recent Feast or Fired match, there appears to be no sign of these guys leaving anytime soon. After looking at the results for last nights TNA live event, I noticed that Dewey Barnes Picked up the win at the event and it got me thinking, Are TNA really considering making them part of the main roster.
I Personally hate the idea that we might end up seeing these guys every week, and would much prefer TNA to throw money at a couple of WWE rejects then these two. Both guys look as if a strong breeze would knock them over and neither guy looks to have very much in the way of personality. I know Norv Fernum has had a little success on the indy scene and has teamed with Adam Pearce and Austin Aries in the past, but I would not say that is enough to warrent a contract in TNA. What do you guys think, Should TNA keep these guys around and give them a chance or should they be let go so others can be given a chance on the roster.

Why?

They were basically there for squash and comedic foil and TNA have Eric Young and the Bromans for that sort of thing who also look the part and can wrestle.

Don't forget those guys also didn't really look like wrestlers. They looked like the nerds from high school who have to wrestle the jock in gym and get their asses handed to them. I mean they were both skinny fuckers with little to no muscle on them. I mean I'm skinny but I think I have more muscle than them.

At the end of the day they got a decent deal being on tv for a bit even if it was being jobbed out and also for comedic segments. But there's no way in hell they'd have any lasting power. Heck if it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have remembered who they were.

there great, good for getting squashed in matches plus the crowd loves them... and dewey works for tna anyway, i say keepem

They're both just doing what they're paid to do, and that's being jobbers. And I don't know about Dewey Barnes, but Norv Fernum is currently half of the tag champs over at Hollywood Wrestling as Pete Avalon. While that's on the Indy scene and doesn't carry weight over to TNA, the guy isn't bad in the ring. It makes me wonder though what his deal his considering he does have other obligations. At the same time I think if you bring in guys like Fernum and Barnes, maybe they could've held onto guys like Joey Ryan, Christian York, and utilize Kenny King.

When I watch the two of them, it harkens back to the way wrestling was when I was growing up when there were professional jobbers. I always enjoyed watching Mike Jackson, The Italian Stallion, Barry Horrowitz, Iron Mike Sharpe, Brad Armstrong, and a wrestler that was super skinny, and had an afro… I'm trying to remember his name and I hope someone here can help; but I think it might be Rocky King even though I can't find a picture of him with an afro. :-/

Anyways, to my original point. Back then, there were jobbers, and those jobbers had a hierarchy. Like Brad Armstrong was someone I really liked, and he could beat most lesser jobbers, but he would never beat a star. TNA doesn't have enough hours on TV to have a bunch of jobbers, but it is nice to see them use a couple of jobbers to lose, instead of having stars lose to EC3 from the jump. I think this has helped build the EC3 character, and that is the job of the jobber.

Would I want to see them get a "push"? Not really. Now if there was some kind of fluke like back when the dynamite kid beat razor ramon (remember that Sean was super skinny back then as well); then I might could buy into that.

I'm not wanting a huge renaissance in the jobbing culture, but to me it is nice to have a couple in there from time to time. And these two guys are probably cheaper to job than the wwe rejects someone mentioned.

The guy you were thinking about is Rocky King plus when I see Dewy and Norv I harken back to the likes of the Mulkeys and the Ding Dongs teams that were simply nothing more than warm up matches who occasionally got the win.

I actually love what TNA is doing with Norv and Dewey.

First, as was mentioned earlier, "Dewey Barnes" actually works for the company in a non-wrestling capacity, and is costing them nothing. Second, "Norv Fernum" is west coast indy wrestler Pretty Peter Avalon, and the guy is entertaining as hell, and has been very good on CWFH for three or four years now. I'd say the company is getting good value out of him, assuming he's working cheaply on a pay-per-appearance basis.

I could actually see TNA going in the direction of giving Fernum a "1-2-3 Kid" type of angle, where he gets a huge unexpected upset against a high card heel(Roode would be an amazing choice as his post-match whining would be perfect) and maybe even a small push if the crowd reacted to him the way I'd anticipate they would. And Fernum is a talented enough guy to make it work for a while.

But even as is, these guys are there to play a role that they are playing perfectly- that of much needed fodder to allow squashes for the young set of heels that the company is attempting to establish. As well as to provide some extra fun by drawing cheap but authentic pops from the crowd when they hit sporadic offense. They are also likely making next-to-nothing, and they surely aren't "taking anyone's spot". Any way you look at it these guys are harmless and deserve no one's ire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back