Detractors of Reigns are the reason why WWE doesn't push fan favorites

Just Zay'n

Occasional Pre-Show
FIRST OFF - Don't get me wrong. You're allowed to dislike Roman Reigns, and you're allowed to boo him.

But come on, at least have a reason. A valid reason. Pack mentality is not a reason.

I'll try and cover some invalid reasons, so people don't go typing them out a hundred times in the replies.

1) He's not great on the mic - but Bryan was never really all that great on the mic either. Neither is Undertaker. I think those two proved that it takes much more than just talking well to become a star.

2) He's getting pushed too early - that's not actually his fault. Would you turn down being given the opportunity to main event WrestleMania and win the WWE title? That's a trick question. He doesn't have a choice.

Besides, Rollins got the title before him, and others have gotten it earlier. Time isn't the issue.

3) He's not great in the ring - hey, he's put on great matches before. The 'Mania 31 main event turned out pretty good. He's not Cesaro good, but only Cesaro is Cesaro good. For what it's worth, I think he's miles better in the ring than Ambrose, who always gets very strong positive reactions.

4) He's the new John Cena - I call bullshit, he's perfectly visible.

I could see why people were disgruntled when he wasn't really ready - but they're booing him as though he's still not ready, when he's actually gone and done things that wrestlers who are 'ready' haven't done before. WWE sees this hypocrisy, and chooses to ignore the boos.

I am allowed to dislike Roman Reigns, and I am allowed to boo him.

I have reasons. He sucks on the mic. He got pushed WAY too early. He's not great in the ring. He's the next Cena.

Ambrose is a LOT better on the mic and in the ring. His character is a LOT more interesting, and he's actually over.

I am allowed to dislike Roman Reigns, and I am allowed to boo him.

I have reasons. He sucks on the mic. He got pushed WAY too early. He's not great in the ring. He's the next Cena.

Ambrose is a LOT better on the mic and in the ring. His character is a LOT more interesting, and he's actually over.
There are guys better than Reigns, no doubt, and you're allowed to think Ambrose is better. But my point was that that's not the reason people are booing him. They're booing him because of the backstage politics; the crowd has decided to reject him solely because WWE chose to push him. That's really the instigator in all of this. WWE pushing him, not his in ring ability itself.

But that was in the past, and he's done a decent job with his push. When people are blatantly saying he's not ready, and then he goes and does a main event WM match that was actually not shit, then said people were wrong about him, by definition of 'being ready'.

There are valid reasons not to like Reigns, but to try and boo him out of the building is absurd. I don't think him getting booed has anything to do with his average mic skills or perceived lack of wrestling skill or getting pushed too soon. Rather it comes down to he's not a guy who got started in a smaller organization. He's not Punk, or Bryan or Rollins or Ambrose or countless other guys who the fans love because they came up to the WWE.

Do people boo Reigns because they don't like him or because they don't like what he represents? If Ambrose had got the same push i'd expect to hear a similar reaction.

The problem is simple and one WWE don't want to acknowledge... EVERY time they have "anointed" someone since Savage, it has ultimately failed... Some were in time, able to turn it round to respect from fans... But the guys who have gone biggest are the ones the fans anointed... Austin, Foley, Bryan, Punk and to an extent Bret... People have had WWEs choices rammed down their throats and not one has truly satisfied fans... Nash was two years too soon, so they had to go back to Bret...and people did not want Shawn at all...

The best guys have gotten over organically, even Cena right at the start... Just as Reigns did... But once the machine gets behind them, at the expense of others...then whoever it is is gonna fail with the fans... Even if they do sell merch... Attitude was so important cos so many guys organically got over in a short timeframe... Austin, Rock, Foley, Trips, Angle and Jericho all got organic pushes to the top and 5 legit main eventers were created... up until Brock in 2002... Austin had only 4 months with the belt, then Rock had it, then Foley and Trips in 99, Angle and Jericho in 2000/2001... neither needed the belt for long, they just needed it to make that leap, and that way they didn't need one guy to be the guy, they had 5 at least who could be...

But they're back to the bad old days and its all about Roman... Injury might be to blame but the writing was on the wall for Rollins already, the fans right now want Ambrose...and Rollins when he is back ahead of Roman...

WWE won't get away with not listening... That Dean is in a headline match helps, but its not what the fans would have preferred... Reality is we'll know very soon... Seth will be back... And if they start building to a triple threat for the title next year with the 3 of them...not letting Bray have it for a short time was another mistake.

It's not "hot potato" if the stories are good. Think back how good Foley's relatively short runs were, cos the angles with The Rock and Hunter were so good...

Do people boo Reigns because they don't like him or because they don't like what he represents? If Ambrose had got the same push i'd expect to hear a similar reaction.

We boo Reigns because of his position and how he's booked.

The man can't talk, WWE keeps giving him a stick
He can wrestle well, WWE keeps giving him underdog "Comebacks" Sleep Roman Sleep has been his gimmick since Survivor Series. WWE has him just laying around then doing a superman punch + spear for a 1-2-3.

Roman Reigns biggest problem is that WWE keeps booking to his weaknesses, rather than strengths. The "Cram down our throat" is a thing too, but people would be a ton more accepting to Reigns is he was a silent badass, He just shouldn't be playing an underdog face. He could of gotten cheers had they kept him short and sweet. Everytime the guy gets a stick we get Taters Tots, Succoring Succatash.

Also, Roman Reigns is one of the biggest dicks in real life that I've ever seen. He snubs fans and will only do the minimum for PR. This is losing him what fans he still has, but it spreads like wildfire when people do this.

The problem is simple and one WWE don't want to acknowledge... EVERY time they have "anointed" someone since Savage, it has ultimately failed... Some were in time, able to turn it round to respect from fans... But the guys who have gone biggest are the ones the fans anointed... Austin, Foley, Bryan, Punk and to an extent Bret... People have had WWEs choices rammed down their throats and not one has truly satisfied fans... Nash was two years too soon, so they had to go back to Bret...and people did not want Shawn at all...

The best guys have gotten over organically, even Cena right at the start... Just as Reigns did... But once the machine gets behind them, at the expense of others...then whoever it is is gonna fail with the fans... Even if they do sell merch... Attitude was so important cos so many guys organically got over in a short timeframe... Austin, Rock, Foley, Trips, Angle and Jericho all got organic pushes to the top and 5 legit main eventers were created... up until Brock in 2002... Austin had only 4 months with the belt, then Rock had it, then Foley and Trips in 99, Angle and Jericho in 2000/2001... neither needed the belt for long, they just needed it to make that leap, and that way they didn't need one guy to be the guy, they had 5 at least who could be...

But they're back to the bad old days and its all about Roman... Injury might be to blame but the writing was on the wall for Rollins already, the fans right now want Ambrose...and Rollins when he is back ahead of Roman...

WWE won't get away with not listening... That Dean is in a headline match helps, but its not what the fans would have preferred... Reality is we'll know very soon... Seth will be back... And if they start building to a triple threat for the title next year with the 3 of them...not letting Bray have it for a short time was another mistake.

It's not "hot potato" if the stories are good. Think back how good Foley's relatively short runs were, cos the angles with The Rock and Hunter were so good...

You hit the nail on the head with this one. The IWC doesn't like to be told who to cheer for and who to boo. Reigns and Cena are perfect examples of this. The WWE WANTS fans to get behind them, and some do. Typically it's the casual fan or the kids or anyone who doesn't think they know what's best for WWE. Reigns won't come out to boos like other top heels have. He won't come out to thunderous applause like top faces have. He's going to continue to get that mixed reaction until the WWE does something about it.

Fans don't want to see someone like Reigns or Cena be the underdog. They aren't built to be the underdog. Not many of their opponents tower over them or make them look inferior. Daniel Bryan was someone the fans got over. The fans CHOSE Daniel Bryan. It's not something WWE has done before and who knows if they will ever again. If they don't though, it'll be a bad business move because they need to remember that without the fans there is no WWE.

Reigns is here, and here to stay. Whether they turn him heel for keep forcing him down our throats is something we'll have to wait and see.

Undersized guys like Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose and CM Punk. Why because they are more believable. Hard workers because they are undersized. With the exception of Ambrose, great ring technicians, and with the exception of Bryan pretty good on the mic.

That's what it boils down to. What can you as a fan identify the most with, the average guy who has talent. Or the Super Athletic guy, who looks like he can lift the whole gym and beat the living crap out of you?

Vince looks for the IT factor. The powerhouse lifter, who has freaky athleticism and IF he can hold the crowd in the palm of his hands with a catch phrase, Vince IS SOLD.

The Rock had to bulk up to become a super hero! The catch phrases, the look was great, but the bulking up sold! It sold for Austin, Batista, HHH, Lesnar, etc. Reigns is just the next guy in line, only because Rollins is hurt.

Reigns gives you a great effort in the ring. He tries to have multi set moves. But let's face it the days of the hip toss, belly to back suplex into a cradle and a pin are over!

Vince wants Raw Power and Athleticism to sell his product. You have the right to boo, but he has the right to pick what he thinks will sell. Sure Reigns needs more volume and passion in his promos.

But we can boo all we want. Vince sold us Cena. He sold us Batista. And now he's selling us Reigns. We can boo all we want, but the only way it changes is if we stop buying and stop watching.

Heck Vince is even selling us an unbelievable story in Shane vs Taker!

My one issue is the improvement factor with Reigns.

I think over the last year he's improved in several aspects.

His mic work still isn't great but much better than 1 year ago. Same goes for his in-ring work and skill.

I think he works hard to give the fans the best product he can. I don't think he slacks off, the hard work to get better is clearly evident.

So, I guess my question would be 2 fold:

Why can't we appreciate the hard work he puts in and at what point could boo's turn to cheers if he gets good on the mic and great in the ring? Or once boo'd, that's it, never again cheered?

I feel Azane hit the nail on the head, at least for the most part.

Generally speaking, WWE doesn't seem to book Reigns to his strengths, rather, he's booked to the strengths that they want him to have or hope he develops. Reigns isn't going to be a dynamo of charisma or personality, it's just not there and he's not forging a connection with fans by trying to book him as some sort of underdog. Some guys are able to connect with fans via promos because of their confidence, their ability to just string everything together in an entertaining way. Some forge that connection through a type of realism, a sort of honesty that clicks despite the lack of one liners. Underdog roles don't work for guys who're booked along a similar route as John Cena for much of his career and when said wrestler has such a strong cosmetic look that is a well known commodity that Vince McMahon prizes. You can't simultaneously portray Reigns as some 250+ pound, muscular dreamboat that makes the girls cream themselves and as some struggling underdog that has to overcome so much adversity to accomplish his goals.

Many fans see Roman Reigns as the corporate pick and Vince believes that THE guys need to look like superheroes. They've seen him try to use, at least for a good portion of time, the same sort of formula he used for Cena and the taste of a number of fans have changes. They may have cheered for Batista 10 years ago, but not only can a lot change in 10 years, a lot has changed in 10 years; there have been wrestlers come along who don't look like superheroes, guys who don't look like they eat about 1,000 grams of protein a day and live in the weight room, who're more interesting to them, more entertaining to watch inside the ring.

Also, Roman Reigns is one of the biggest dicks in real life that I've ever seen. He snubs fans and will only do the minimum for PR. This is losing him what fans he still has, but it spreads like wildfire when people do this.

I had heard that from others but thought they were bullshitting because they weren't fans of his? So is it true?

Undersized guys like Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose and CM Punk. Why because they are more believable. Hard workers because they are undersized. With the exception of Ambrose, great ring technicians, and with the exception of Bryan pretty good on the mic.

How is it people think Ambrose is undersized, the guy is taller than Reigns.

Anyway as for the reason Reigns gets booed, who knows really. Maybe it's the fact that others who fans feel that are more deserving have been passed over. Could be his promo skills which have come a long way, his booking, could be any number of reasons.

The end result though is fans don't want to see him as champion again. But I say give him the title, get it over with until everyone comes back, someone can take if off him and then this train wreck will be finally over. Two years is long enough.

Women love him but that's because of his looks and not anything he does in the ring, they don't give a shit about that. Kids are meh, I still see way more kids wearing Cena shirts. Actually I've never seen a kid with a Reigns shirt on, only women. Men at the shows I've been at are wearing Wyatt or Owens gear you don't see a lot of support for Reigns. He gets cheered but other's get bigger pops, I just have the feeling that the WWE doesn't give a shit anymore.

it'S kinda funny when you talk about fans today and how the feel in title to voice their opinion and how they think that they know more then the peoples that actually booked the show. Roman reigns doesn'T really deserve this type of reaction, the guys as been in the WWE for 3 years now. He's been in the most over faction since dx. Former tag team champions. Compare to other guys that got big push over the year, reigns is more then ready.

Remember your history, back in 2002, a guy by the name of brock lesnar debuted in april of that year, he won the king of the ring tournament 2 months later, then beats the immortal hulk hogan on smackdown and finally beat the rock for the championship at summerslam, he did all that in the spend of five month. talk about beeing shove down your throat. the guy wasn'T ready and it when they turn him babyface it's shows that he wasn't ready because he was one of the worst on the mic, yet they still continued with his huge push even if he wasn't over. The difference between back then and today is that the fans had respect for the product and the peoples working backstage, they didn'T care to get their opinions over and in the end it help lesnar become the star he is today.

the biggest problem that reigns got, isn't the fact that he's not great on the mic because that'S not true, he's became way better on the mic compare to what he was last year. Is not that he's not a great wrestler because again, he might not be a great technical wrestler but for his style of wrestling, he's really good and he had some great matches with some of the biggest name in the company and his match with HHH will be his best match to date.

No the problem with reigns is that vince and HHH pick him as the next face of the company and the IWC is rejecting that and being vocal because their guy isn'T getting book. And the rest of the fans are don'T really know why the boo him but it'S like when everybody was booing john cena, it'S a cool thing to do. So i feel bad for Reigns because he deserve to be in this spot but because the fact we live in a different era we're the fans want to be hear more instead of enjoying the stories being told in the ring, reigns is getting booed for no reason outside of the fact that it's the guy that'S getting the push instead of the internet darling.

Roman's problem is of course the fact that behind the scenes management is behind him. Nothing to do with his talent. For some people that's where the fun is in 2016. Forcing WWE to elevate someone against their will. I don't see how that makes the show any better. To me it makes the show substantially worse, but it is what it is.

People seem to be INCREDIBLY short fucking sighted these days. I guess that's what you get when you start watching WWE last year and think you know everything because you repeat what others say. First of all, Roman Reigns isn't the first guy to be terrible on the mic and terrible in the ring. In fact, there happens to be one guy who's been known as terrible since before he came back and became a part-timer in Brock Lesnar. In 2002, Lesnar was downright horrible. He couldn't really go in the ring, and the only good matches he had were brought out of him by the work horses Kurt Angle and Eddie Guerrero. Paul Heyman has been speaking either for Lesnar or to get Lesnar angles over ever since he debuted on Raw YEARS ago. And yet, just because he went to UFC and then beat John Cena, he's all of a sudden this amazing worker that everyone loves.

Roman Reigns is growing, and unlike the meat head previously mentioned, he actually has the decency to continue to learn instead of running off to fail at football. He's got the ring psychology down to an art form, he actually can speak on the microphone and anyone who doesn't think so is ******ed, and the fact remains that he was the most over and the most ready guy in The Shield to be champion immediately following the split. Just listen to his reactions all the way until his TLC return. Reigns was loved, by many people. He made ONE slip up on camera and people have dogged him since. Meanwhile, Daniel Bryan couldn't talk his way out of being jumped by a group of toddlers.

There are guys better than Reigns, no doubt, and you're allowed to think Ambrose is better. But my point was that that's not the reason people are booing him. They're booing him because of the backstage politics; the crowd has decided to reject him solely because WWE chose to push him. That's really the instigator in all of this. WWE pushing him, not his in ring ability itself.

But that was in the past, and he's done a decent job with his push. When people are blatantly saying he's not ready, and then he goes and does a main event WM match that was actually not shit, then said people were wrong about him, by definition of 'being ready'.

What if WWE got behind Ambrose like they did Reigns? People would cheer and accept Ambrose and get behind him.

Why? Because Ambrose is much better in the ring and on the mic. His character is better.

Why wasn't Daniel Bryan booed like Reigns? Not because WWE got behind Reigns and they didn't Bryan. Because Bryan is better in the ring and on the mic. His character was much better. He knows how to tell a story in the ring. He's just better.

The bottom line about Reigns - what hurts him the most - is that the fans don't believe he earned his spot. It's that simple. We're talking about a guy who decided to get into wrestling back in 2010, used his family's connections to secure a deal with the WWE, and then debuted on the main roster a little more than two years after wrestling his first match.

...exactly why are the fans supposed to respect a trajectory that's based on family connections and Vince McMahon's body type preferences? Really take a look at the guys that the WWE audience has backed over the past couple years. You'll see a trend. Here's how long the following guys wrestled before signing their first WWE contract.

Seth Rollins: 5 years
CM Punk: 5 years
Dean Ambrose: 7 years
Daniel Bryan: 10 years
Cesaro: 11 years
Kevin Owens: 14 years

There's clearly a respect factor that goes into this. The fans relate to the guys that climbed the ladder, the guys that had to work their asses off to even be given a shot with the company because they didn't fit the Vince McMahon mold.

Now look - there are guys over the years that have gotten over despite not having a history of struggles. There are guys that have gotten over despite being brought into the WWE with no experience or who have gotten into the business solely based on connections and/or 'look.' But those guys brought something else to the table...

The Rock: Initially booed out the building as Rocky Maivia. The fans rejected WWE's initial attempt to make this guy a vanilla babyface champion. So D'wayne Johnson changed it up. He gave us The Rock and was so thoroughly entertaining that people didn't care that he had only gotten his chance based on family history and looks.

Brock Lesnar: This is a legitimate bad ass. I struggle to think of any WWE superstar in history with his combination of strength and athleticism. The guy is a freak of nature, an attraction so special that he gets to dictate when he wants to work. In fairness, much of that is during his second run. But what about his first? Well, it's mostly lost because the majority of it took place on a secondary show that was seen by half the WWE audience (yes, SmackDown was the better show during the period; but I'm talking about ratings.)

Now please tell me what Reigns brings to the table. He's not entertaining. He's awful on the mic. He has made zero character choices that separate him from anyone else on the roster. Literally, the only thing he has going for him is his size - and while the guy is considerably bigger than the average human being, he's not nearly as big as the average WWE monster (eg. Lesnar, Kane, Big Show, etc)

Honestly, look at Reigns and tell me what it is about him that appeals to you. If it's the size, then great! But then tell me what you have against Kane, Show, or even Luke Harper. If it's the character, then please tell me what that character is - and for the love of God, tell me how it has evolved since he debuted in late 2012...

Because honestly, that's another huge issue with Roman Reigns. He's either lazy as hell or he has no concept of what makes a character compelling. Either way, it's a huge black mark. Look at the Shield debut in late 2012. They were a pack of wolves, coming through the audience in riot gear to attack helpless victims. They were badasses, plain and simple. And Reigns was the muscle.

Fast forward to early 2016. Look at Ambrose. He has new entrance music. He has new wrestling attire. His character went from being the spokesperson of a group of wolves to being a guy that's not quite all there - a guy who would be cool getting hit by a car if it caused the airbag to deploy and slightly injure the driver. Look at Rollins. He has new entrance music. He has new wrestling attire. His character went from being the workhorse of The Shield to being the cocky, arrogant figurehead of The Authority. Both these guys evolved over time.

But Reigns? Same entrance music. Same wrestling attire. Hell, he was still coming out from the audience until two weeks ago. Nothing has changed with this guy in three and a half years. He has the same move set, the same finisher, the same mannerisms. Three and a half years after debuting as the muscle of a pack of wolves - he's still just the muscle, only now he's without the pack of wolves.

And don't tell us that he can only do what's given to him. This guy was tabbed two years ago to be the poster boy of the company moving forward. You're naive if you think that distinction doesn't come with a significant amount of pull backstage. If he doesn't like an idea, he can nix it. I'm not suggesting that he nix a potential title run or a WrestleMania main event slot - but I am saying that this guy should nix awful angles that see him take off the 2-3 weeks prior to WrestleMania. I am saying that he should nix bookings that see him taken out of the Royal Rumble for 25 minutes - especially given how hard he was criticized for basically sleep-walking through the Royal Rumble a year prior. And I am saying that this guy should realize he's the one responsible for his own success. He has the power to create a character, and he needs to stop waiting around for someone else to add nuance to his persona.

Think about how long it took Steve Austin to pitch his character before someone finally OK'd it. He had no pull in WCW. He had no pull when he got to the WWF. But finally, creative caved to his ideas because they conceded that his ideas were better. The same story can be said for Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Chris Jericho, The Rock... Really, when you look at the guys that get over, it's because they're playing characters they created or characters that they built into full-fledged personas. Fans see that - and they respect the hell out of it. With Reigns, it's a character that was handed to him - and it's a character that hasn't been further nuanced over the years because Reigns either doesn't know how to add depth to the character or he doesn't think it's his job. Either way, fans see that, too. And really, it's just very difficult to respect a guy that was handed a job, then handed a top spot, and is now seemingly just waiting around for someone to hand him a character. Fucking do something for yourself already!

I liked Roman Reigns better when Jason Momoa played him.

People have different reasons for not enjoying Roman and/or his current and recent programs. I would not assume that that many people are doing it to be cool. There really is nothing cool to being a wrestling fan in the first place.

The problems have been spelled out in this thread already (did anyone mention the fact that he wrestles in a veast?). It just hasn't worked. If things continue at this trajectory it is probably never going to work. Maybe that is ok. Boos don't cost the WWE a penny. However if he is hurting their bottom line a change needs to be made. Heel turn seems like the most obvious but who knows?

In a week he'll have two Mania main events in his pocket. It bothers me that the guy who is not in my top ten (if I actually had a top ten) holds that honor. I'd be happy to root for him if he was on his second year with a midcard title but the spots he is getting are too much.

FIRST OFF - Don't get me wrong. You're allowed to dislike Roman Reigns, and you're allowed to boo him.

Cool, thanks for the permission.

But come on, at least have a reason. A valid reason. Pack mentality is not a reason.

Please, allow me to give you several.

I'll try and cover some invalid reasons, so people don't go typing them out a hundred times in the replies.

1) He's not great on the mic - but Bryan was never really all that great on the mic either. Neither is Undertaker. I think those two proved that it takes much more than just talking well to become a star.

Bryan could do laps around Roman Reigns on the mic and so could the Undertaker. Being good on the mic isn't about how well you can repeat your lines and say a lot of big words fast - it's about whether what you can say can connect you emotionally to the audience. Roman Reigns has quite literally never once done that. Roman has never delivered a promo of his own that made the fans give a shit about what he was doing. The WWE is so aware of this fact that they've turned the build to WrestleMania into a silent film as far as Roman Reigns is concerned, because every time he opens his mouth it puts the audience to sleep. You're right - it isn't everything, but you have to at least be capable of saying something that gets the audience to care about you, at some point. You can mask it for a feud as they've done here, but Roman has to say something sometime or else undergo a massive characters shift to having a manager or something (doesn't quite jive with the One versus All gimmick, does it?). The current incarnation of Roman Reigns, as a single, face character against "everyone" so to speak, can't cut it because he'll never deliver a promo that gets anyone to care.

2) He's getting pushed too early - that's not actually his fault. Would you turn down being given the opportunity to main event WrestleMania and win the WWE title? That's a trick question. He doesn't have a choice.

Besides, Rollins got the title before him, and others have gotten it earlier. Time isn't the issue.

Rollins had also been been wrestling for five years longer than Reigns had, and had done so much more of it in front of a live audience (as a champion in Ring of Honor) than Reigns had, who was a pure FCW/Performance Center product. It's clearly been borne out in terms of main event level success in the WWE over the last few years that ROH experience beats FCW experience by a long shot. Furthermore, even putting aside the duration of the experience or its quality, it seems recklessly silly to think that Rollins winning the title earlier than Reigns is an indication he was "less ready". Just evaluate the guy straight up. Entering the main event of Mania 31, Reigns had not successfully sold the feud at all or convinced the audience he should hold it.

Sure, no one can blame Reigns for taking the shots he's been given, but why in the world should it do anything but make me dislike him? He's been gifted with athleticism and looks and the perfect family name to get Vince McMahon 3/4 erect, and he's done the absolute minimum required to convince Vince to keep giving it to him instead of busting his ass and earning it.
3) He's not great in the ring - hey, he's put on great matches before. The 'Mania 31 main event turned out pretty good. He's not Cesaro good, but only Cesaro is Cesaro good. For what it's worth, I think he's miles better in the ring than Ambrose, who always gets very strong positive reactions.

Reigns' list of good matches coincides almost one for one with some of the best wrestlers in the world - Randy Orton, Daniel Bryan, Cesaro, Brock Lesnar, and Dean Ambrose are the ones that come to mind. That's very telling to me about how good Reigns actually is. Roman's ability to tell a compelling story in the ring is almost directly tied to his opponent's ability to do so at this point, which is why on Monday morning we'll talk about how objectively good the main event was despite how shitty the booking is, because Triple H will do everything he can as one of the greatest of all time to make Roman look good. But Roman - much like Cena for a good chunk of his career - if he's going to be the big face they want him to be, is going to have to go up against a lot of people who are not absolute world class, just as he already has, and it's going to be nothing but mediocrity when it happens.

4) He's the new John Cena - I call bullshit, he's perfectly visible.

Roman's not the new John Cena - he's so much worse in every way. There's one thing it was always impossible to take away from Cena as he got deep into his time as the face of the WWE - he was excellent on the mic and on the ring. There are classical examples of his failures on both ends, but for the most part, the consistent body of work John delivered was at least compelling, and the WWE parlayed the mixed response to the booking into some world class stuff - his feud with CM Punk being the best example, probably. So far, Roman lags behind John massively on the mic and in the ring, and his response isn't polarizing - it's nothing but massive heat. They could never have the nuanced Punk vs Cena type feud with Roman, because literally anyone he goes up against will get a massive face response.

I could see why people were disgruntled when he wasn't really ready - but they're booing him as though he's still not ready, when he's actually gone and done things that wrestlers who are 'ready' haven't done before. WWE sees this hypocrisy, and chooses to ignore the boos.

In the most objective sense, Reigns is in some ways at the level of a WWE Champion. He can be at least a competent wrestler, though he can't carry anyone, and he has a good look. His promo work is desperately lacking, but that could be fixed by the booking, probably - Reigns has been severely hamstrung by having material that no one cares about.

Here's the most fundamental problem with Roman Reigns - he's so overwhelmingly miscast in his current role, in much the same way Cena was for years (Cena salvaged it thanks to a number of factors, but that's another thread) and it relies on this simple problem - you cannot be 6'3", 265, a bonafide heavyweight - these, literally, were Brock Lesnar's dimensions when he won the NCAA heavyweight title - and try to sell a guy as an underdog. It's the reason Cena split the audience in two and it's the reason Reigns will never, ever get over with this character. They almost fixed it with their efforts in December, making Reigns into the dominant one for a change, beating HHH and Sheamus with great physicality and making it look easy for a change, because that's who Reigns should be. The fans might have cheered the massive asskicker as they cheer Brock Lesnar right now, and they were so close to it. But as soon as they snuck the title onto Roman, they reversed course and tried to sell him as the world's biggest underdog, and now any hope of Roman Reigns the face is lost. The last three weeks of booking has actually been excellent for Roman - no underdog bullshit, no terrible promos, just beating people up. And it's failing because the die was cast months ago. The only hope for Reigns now is a full fledged heel turn to erase all memory of the Goliath-sized David and maybe someday they can bring him back around to being the babyface of the company, as they once did with the Rock and Steve Austin back in the day.

The short version of it is that Reigns's major shortcomings in ring and on mic have not only not been covered up by the booking, but have been massively exposed by it, and the systematic and prolonged refusal to adapt him to something that better suits him has created a critical mass of at best disinterest and at worst total hatred that there is no way to fix short of a major heel turn that I doubt they have the guts to pull off. So, enjoy the new era of Reigns getting boo'd at every show from WrestleMania 32 to WrestleMania 42 and beyond.

People seem to be INCREDIBLY short fucking sighted these days. I guess that's what you get when you start watching WWE last year and think you know everything because you repeat what others say. First of all, Roman Reigns isn't the first guy to be terrible on the mic and terrible in the ring. In fact, there happens to be one guy who's been known as terrible since before he came back and became a part-timer in Brock Lesnar. In 2002, Lesnar was downright horrible. He couldn't really go in the ring, and the only good matches he had were brought out of him by the work horses Kurt Angle and Eddie Guerrero. Paul Heyman has been speaking either for Lesnar or to get Lesnar angles over ever since he debuted on Raw YEARS ago. And yet, just because he went to UFC and then beat John Cena, he's all of a sudden this amazing worker that everyone loves.

...you were 10 years old during Lesnar's initial WWE run. You really remember it that well? Here are a few reasons Lesnar's deficiencies were hidden during his first run...

1) Believability. The guy was, and is, just built differently than everyone else on the roster. He's not cut. He doesn't have a ton of definition. He's just thick. And to add to that, he has unmatched speed and athleticism for his size.

Reigns, meanwhile, looks like a dozen other guys that came before him. Sure, he's bigger than your average human, but he looks straight of central casting when it comes to guys that Vince McMahon wants to push as his top guy.

2) Lesnar was pushed alongside other top talent like Triple H, Kurt Angle, The Undertaker, and The Rock. He was billed as The Next Big Thing, and he certainly was going to be handed that torch, but he never actually had it...

Reigns, meanwhile, is being pushed alongside who - John Cena? Lesnar certainly isn't going to be the focal point of Raw for the next 10 years. Neither is Cena. So who? There's literally no one else being pushed alongside this guy that will be a full-time active wrestler in 5 years. His push seems to be coming at the expense of a lot of other guys while Lesnar's did not.

3) Lesnar's time on top came exclusively on SmackDown. While that was actually the better show during the time, Raw was the higher rated show. Guess what was happening on Raw? One wrestler was being shoved down everyone's throat causing interest in the product to wane. Sound familiar?

4) Lesnar got lucky. The WWE paired him with Heyman and it got over immediately. Reigns hasn't been as lucky. But you know what? Neither was The Rock. Neither was Mankind. Neither was Steve Austin or even Triple H. But those guys scratched and clawed backstage to be listened to, to get their ideas out there. They didn't have have half the pull at that time as Reigns does now, but they managed to redefine their characters, to make necessary tweaks along the way, and they got over. Hell, even The Undertaker has had to work at his character over the past 25 years to keep it fresh. Reigns, though? His character is the exact same right now as it was three years ago when the WWE handed it to him. If the fans don't like what you're doing, here's an idea - do something different! It's not rocket science.

Roman Reigns is growing, and unlike the meat head previously mentioned, he actually has the decency to continue to learn instead of running off to fail at football. He's got the ring psychology down to an art form, he actually can speak on the microphone and anyone who doesn't think so is ******ed, and the fact remains that he was the most over and the most ready guy in The Shield to be champion immediately following the split. Just listen to his reactions all the way until his TLC return. Reigns was loved, by many people. He made ONE slip up on camera and people have dogged him since. Meanwhile, Daniel Bryan couldn't talk his way out of being jumped by a group of toddlers.

I'm a paid sketch comedy writer and I started doing improv when you were about 8 years old. But I must be ******ed, though, because I can't for the life of me find anything interesting about this guy's character choices.. which essentially ruins him every time he picks up a microphone.

Ask yourself what he wants, and why he wants it --- You'll realize that he just wants to be the champion. Why does he want that? He wants it simply because he wants it. There's really no justification past that point. This is kiddy pool type depth here. In terms of character, Reigns is really swimming in the shallow end.

Does he have any flaw that might prevent him from attaining this goal? Nope. The guy is billed as super human... Hell, half his moves are inspired from fucking superheroes.

So basically, you have a shallow character who has no justification for wanting what he wants and no real obstacle standing in his way of obtaining it. This is some brilliant story telling we got going on here...

And see, it's these little nuances that are up to the wrestler to figure out. It's the wrestler's job to explore the character, to find little things that are interesting, and to latch on to them. He doesn't do that. He literally has one game plan, and he executes the same plan every week regardless of reaction. I'm sorry - but that's fucking terrible.

Honestly, the fact that this guy is playing the exact same character he played while in the Shield while the other guys have evolved should tell you that he was not at all prepared to be thrust into his current role. The WWE has weekly programming, 13 pay-per-view type shows each year. You have to constantly evolve and grow as a character or else you get left behind. Reigns hasn't evolved in 3 1/2 years. The only reason he hasn't been left behind is because Vince McMahon is obsessed with guys that look like Roman Reigns. His failure to be pushed despite not evolving is why fans hate him.

There are valid reasons not to like Reigns, but to try and boo him out of the building is absurd. I don't think him getting booed has anything to do with his average mic skills or perceived lack of wrestling skill or getting pushed too soon. Rather it comes down to he's not a guy who got started in a smaller organization. He's not Punk, or Bryan or Rollins or Ambrose or countless other guys who the fans love because they came up to the WWE.

So I always here a line from folks defending boo'd superstars that these "internet" fans only like these Indy guys and boo the others. They state that while that is the case that the "casual" fan who buys a ticket to enjoy a show doesn't care and will cheer guys like Cena and even Reigns. That's an opinion and that's fine. What boggles my mind is when he is boo'd out of LIVE arenas week after week, now the argument is turning to all live fans boo the guy because he isn't an Indy guy?

There is no need for excuses. Reigns has been rejected so far. Happens all the time. Emma was rejected at first, now she actually is returning and is getting more over with a new gimmick. Fans told the Rock to go kill himself when he first debuted. David Flair was pushed and failed. The shockmaster failed. It happens all the time, has happened in the past, and will happen again to even wrestlers who later could turn to be one of the best in the business as the Rock demonstrated.

So I always here a line from folks defending boo'd superstars that these "internet" fans only like these Indy guys and boo the others. They state that while that is the case that the "casual" fan who buys a ticket to enjoy a show doesn't care and will cheer guys like Cena and even Reigns. That's an opinion and that's fine. What boggles my mind is when he is boo'd out of LIVE arenas week after week, now the argument is turning to all live fans boo the guy because he isn't an Indy guy?

There is no need for excuses. Reigns has been rejected so far. Happens all the time. Emma was rejected at first, now she actually is returning and is getting more over with a new gimmick. Fans told the Rock to go kill himself when he first debuted. David Flair was pushed and failed. The shockmaster failed. It happens all the time, has happened in the past, and will happen again to even wrestlers who later could turn to be one of the best in the business as the Rock demonstrated.

But the problem is that this only happen at tv tapings, in front of a house show crowd, roman reigns is the most popular guy on the card at almost every event. So either it's not the same crowd that goes to tv tapings or their just something that going on when the camera are running that make the people would love roman reigns at house show start hated him at tv tapings.

But the problem is that this only happen at tv tapings, in front of a house show crowd, roman reigns is the most popular guy on the card at almost every event. So either it's not the same crowd that goes to tv tapings or their just something that going on when the camera are running that make the people would love roman reigns at house show start hated him at tv tapings.

Other the Roadblock a couple of weeks ago all we get here in Toronto is house shows now. He is booed, but mostly by the males, as I said before the females love him, and the kids are firmly in Cena's corner.

I don't think it's the same crowd. It costs a lot more money to go to the Air Canada Centre for a RAW taping, you can get into the Ricoh for $20.00, so you see a lot of families there. Don't see that at a RAW where tickets are about $200.00 a shot.

Other the Roadblock a couple of weeks ago all we get here in Toronto is house shows now. He is booed, but mostly by the males, as I said before the females love him, and the kids are firmly in Cena's corner.

I don't think it's the same crowd. It costs a lot more money to go to the Air Canada Centre for a RAW taping, you can get into the Ricoh for $20.00, so you see a lot of families there. Don't see that at a RAW where tickets are about $200.00 a shot.

But at the same time, in other town they don't run different building for the different show, I live in montreal and they do house show and tv taping at the bell centre and the ticket arecthe same price for both but I get your point since it seem that more hardcore fans would come to a raw taping in montreal compare to a house show so I guess we know with what demo, roman reigns is over with based on what kind of crowd you have.

But at the same time, in other town they don't run different building for the different show, I live in montreal and they do house show and tv taping at the bell centre and the ticket arecthe same price for both but I get your point since it seem that more hardcore fans would come to a raw taping in montreal compare to a house show so I guess we know with what demo, roman reigns is over with based on what kind of crowd you have.

Seriously, the Air Canada Centre changes an arm and a leg to get in. If you want a good ticket that isn't in the nose bleeds, you're paying upwards of 200 bucks a pop. Very expensive for a family to attend, that's why the house shows get more of them. Last time Reigns was here he was booed by mostly men, for some reason they're not fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back