Defend A Critically Panned Film

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
All of us have different tastes in movies, and sometimes, we will chose the unpopular choice. When it comes to trashing a single film, critics, movie buffs, and moviegoers will join forces, and the hate fest can become a popular trend. We've seen this happen to Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen, Troy (2004), Battle: Los Angeles would be a more recent example, and New Year's Eve is receiving a TON of hate from everyone. But a proud and favorable minority for these films will always exist, and these people will stand up and defend the film that has landed on the majority's shit list.

I actually enjoy a long list of critically panned films, but if I had to pick one to defend, I would chose Halloween 5: The Revenge Of Michael Myers:

51ZZJEQSR1L.jpg

Of course, this film doesn't measure up to the 1978 classic, and Halloween II (1981) does surpass this film in terms of overall quality, but Halloween 5 can still be an enjoyable film. Michael's relentless pursuit of Jamie can provide some decent suspense, and there a few spook moments here.

Also, this Halloween film features one of my favorite scenes ever. Towards the end of the film, Michael has Jamie cornered, and he is about to deliver the final blow, but Jamie wants to see her uncle's face, without the mask. Michael reluctantly agrees to remove his mask, a tear streams down his face, and Jamie shares a very brief "moment" with Michael, as she touches his face. Michael eventually snaps, and he tries to kill Jamie...again. But I've always LOVED this scene, because for a little while you get to see Michael Myers in a vulnerable state. Michael almost seems human for a moment, and this is a special scene, because Michael has the notorious reputation, as the coldhearted and evil killer, who will destroy everything in his path.

And the "Man In Black" does provide a good mystery in this film. Throughout the film, a creepy stranger dressed in all black roams Haddonfield, and this man eventually breaks Michael out of jail at the very end of the film. The Man In Black was a mysterious character, and he did raise some intriguing questions. Why does he want to help Michael Myers? Who is he? What are his intentions? The Man In Black's identity is something that will keep you guessing throughout the entire film, and his character was a nice addition to this Halloween film.

I've always thought Halloween 5 received an unfair label as one of the black sheeps in the Halloween franchise. This film might not pack the same powerful punch as the first two films in the series, but Halloween 5 can be an entertaining film. Of course, some Halloween die hards will pick this film apart, and they will criticize every detail imaginable. I've actually heard complaints about the size of Michael's house (Michael's house is bigger in this film), and this one does receive the "too many loopholes" criticism. But everything is explained in Halloween 6, and the lose ends are tied up.

Jamie is a character, who you can actually care about, Michael Myers is still dangerous and menacing in this film, and this character isn't stale at all. And Donald Pleasence still delivers as Dr. Loomis. The absence of Jamie Lee Curtis might bother some Halloween fans, but Jamie (Danielle Harris) is a suitable replacement, and I always enjoy this film.

So, with all that said, which critically panned film do you enjoy? Maybe you actually liked Waterworld? Or you could be one of the very few people, who enjoyed Battlefield Earth?

This is the place to defend your favorite unpopular and panned film, and everyone should provide some interesting choices.

Great thread. I agree with you on Halloween 5, though I prefer the Curse of Micheal Myers due to the ending which was laughably bad. (quick question Mitch have you ever seen the producer's cut where Micheal dies by laying in the middle of symbols made of rocks?)

My pick here is a cult classic, Killer Clowns from Outer Space

Killer_klowns_poster.jpg

There is a reason why this is a cult classic. On the exterior it seems like a cheap comedy that was meant to draw in gullible audiences just looking for a cheap laugh, and that is exactly what it was. It is very similar to Plan 9 from outer space and Robot Monster to where it is sucks so you enjoy it. You can't bash a film that was meant to suck, it defeats the purpose. The idea of an extra-terrestrial race that resembles a clown that is supposedly frighting, is so absurd that you know this was not aiming for Oscar awards. I love the ending with the pies falling on their face, it really just looks so corny. I really don't need to go too much into the plot since my paraphrase of it really just sums it up. Go watch this if you have nothing to do, and want to see a films that "is so bad, it's good".

Come to think of it I may have multiple post in this thread;).

For what it's worth here is the trailer.

[YOUTUBE]fHXy8DpF5k0[/YOUTUBE]

Great thread. I agree with you on Halloween 5, though I prefer the Curse of Micheal Myers due to the ending which was laughably bad. (quick question Mitch have you ever seen the producer's cut where Micheal dies by laying in the middle of symbols made of rocks?)

I've heard about this ending, and I've wanted to see it for years, but I can get lazy every now and then, and I haven't put forth a real effort to find the video. I'll have to find it one day, but is it really worth the trouble, Zrise? Does this ending really offer something new, or does this scene just feel like cheap and worthless bonus material?

As far as Halloween 6 goes, I will always enjoy Donald Pleasence as Dr. Loomis, but for me, he was one of the few highlights in this film (Michael Myers would be another one), and I do have a hard time getting into this one sometimes. Some Halloween fans will enjoy this, and this film does have its enjoyable moments, but for some odd reason, I've always expected more from this film. Also, I've always been a huge fan of Pleasence's version of Loomis, and I don't think he received the proper send-off here. The Loomis/Myers relationship was an important part of the Halloween film series. As far as Loomis' demise goes, I was expecting something big and shocking, when I first watched this film years ago. The ending was "laughably bad", because the end of Loomis always brings some "Are you serious?!?!" laughs out of me, but Pleasence's exit from the series felt so underwhelming and disappointing.

My pick here is a cult classic, Killer Clowns from Outer Space

Killer_klowns_poster.jpg

There is a reason why this is a cult classic. On the exterior it seems like a cheap comedy that was meant to draw in gullible audiences just looking for a cheap laugh, and that is exactly what it was. It is very similar to Plan 9 from outer space and Robot Monster to where it is sucks so you enjoy it. You can't bash a film that was meant to suck, it defeats the purpose. The idea of an extra-terrestrial race that resembles a clown that is supposedly frighting, is so absurd that you know this was not aiming for Oscar awards. I love the ending with the pies falling on their face, it really just looks so corny. I really don't need to go too much into the plot since my paraphrase of it really just sums it up. Go watch this if you have nothing to do, and want to see a films that "is so bad, it's good".

Come to think of it I may have multiple post in this thread;).

For what it's worth here is the trailer.

[YOUTUBE]fHXy8DpF5k0[/YOUTUBE]

Man I love Killer Klowns, I checked it out earlier this year and thought it was awesome, very underrated movie.

The movie I chose is The Hot Chick

5114kJeERBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

First off I think that Rob Schneider gets too much crap, he certainly isn't an amazing actor but I think that he's one of the funnier guys out there and between growing up with his supporting roles in just about every Adam Sandler movie and a few of his own movies here and there I would say I'm a pretty big fan. He's had a few funny movies on his own like Big Stan and The Animal but probably my favorite of his would be The Hot Chick.

The plot is a popular teenage girl wakes up one morning to find that she has the body of an older man and she spends the movie trying to figure out how to get back to normal with the help of her friends and has to deal with the stuggles of being stuck in a mans boby like trying to convince her boyfriend who she is.

This movie definitely isn't amazing but I think that it's really funny and Rob's comedic style really makes it. I also am a big fan of Anna Faris, I think shes funnier than she gets credit for, and this movie was the film debut of Rachel McAdams as the main girl. If you havent seen it and you have time on your hands go ahead and check it out, I think it gets more crap than it deserves and is one of my favorite comedies.

I've heard about this ending, and I've wanted to see it for years, but I can get lazy every now and then, and I haven't put forth a real effort to find the video. I'll have to find it one day, but is it really worth the trouble, Zrise? Does this ending really offer something new, or does this scene just feel like cheap and worthless bonus material?

The film itself (producer's cut) is only available in low quality bootleg versions. The thing about it is that is does have more of Dr.Loomis in it and less of Micheal Myers so it's kind of a trade off. If you are a collector it's worth getting for the sake of it. Donald Pleasence is much more present here that he is in the theatrical cut. Little things like the when Jamie dies are changed around as well. Anyway if you want to see the major differences explained than click on the link at the end of this post. In my opinion it is not TOO much different that the theatrical cut,and if you are looking for more than just scenes that were cut put back in, more Loomis, and an alternate ending than you could pass on this one.

Here is the link for the first half of the video the guy talks about the producer's cut and gets to the theatrical cut at the end:

http://cinemassacre.com/2011/10/28/halloween-6/

220px-Jaws_3d.jpg

Jaws 3 gets pooped on by a lot of people, but not by this guy right here. I'm a big fan of the entire franchise, except for the fourth film, no body can ever support that train wreck. As for Jaws 3, it's just a lot of fun and was a nice stab at something that would prove very effective in 2010. Creature features in 3D are amazing. There is nothing like having a shitty looking Great White or Piranha coming right at you. In addition, the cast was surprisingly good. Leah Thomson, Dennis Quaid and Louis Gossett Jr., are awesome in there own subtle, yet over the top ways. I'm not saying this film is good by any means, but it is certainly an entertaining film.

The film itself (producer's cut) is only available in low quality bootleg versions. The thing about it is that is does have more of Dr.Loomis in it and less of Micheal Myers so it's kind of a trade off. If you are a collector it's worth getting for the sake of it. Donald Pleasence is much more present here that he is in the theatrical cut. Little things like the when Jamie dies are changed around as well. Anyway if you want to see the major differences explained than click on the link at the end of this post. In my opinion it is not TOO much different that the theatrical cut,and if you are looking for more than just scenes that were cut put back in, more Loomis, and an alternate ending than you could pass on this one.

Here is the link for the first half of the video the guy talks about the producer's cut and gets to the theatrical cut at the end:

http://cinemassacre.com/2011/10/28/halloween-6/

This reason might push me to buy this version of Halloween 6. I am a fan of the franchise, and I always have the urge to collecting everything, so there's a chance I could buy this. Yeah, the picture quality looks absolutely terrible, but this version gives fans something new. Although, the alternate/cut parts of the storyline don't look too enticing. Michael was an indestructible force throughout the entire franchise, nothing could kill this man, but a set of stones and a weird séance ritual finally put a stop to him? It's incredibly lame, when you stop and think about it, and the detailed backstory they provide for Myers kills the mystique of this character. And the switch between Myers and Dr. Wynn did feel kind of silly.

Alright this time it's Howard the duck 1986

Howard_the_Duck_%281986%29.jpg

This is one of those movies to me that really is not "so bad that it's good" but rather a guilty pleasure. It's bad, oh it's shit, but I love watching this simply because the concept and execution makes me laugh out loud. Basically this Rich Duck gets sucked into our world (not after we get to see a pair of Female Duck Boobies), and has to try to find a way back and fit in while he is here. He helps a girl out through using "quack fu" to fend off the bad goons. Anyway a bunch of expected situations happen and eventually Howard has to fight a beast called dark overlord. As expected he opts to remain with his friend Beverly (I think there is a sex scene between them) and we get a happily ever after. One thing to mention here is that some of the parts of this movie are depressing, a lot of it features unfortunate (as well as not comical) events that happen to Howard. He is a jerk-off but you feel sorry for him, not to mention he has to fight "Dark Overlord" to get back home. Overall the concept is laughable as this tries to be an adult film at the start with the women jokes, but the theme itself is childish and comes of as a mediocre. For me I enjoy this films because it unintentionally makes me crack-up. We all have guilty pleasures and this is one of mine.

For all it's worth here is the trailer:

[YOUTUBE]SzI-ZbcK_sw[/YOUTUBE]

Oh do I have a crap film to defend or do I have a crap film to defend.

Uwe Boll is infamous for his terrible films that are often video game adaptations, but due to certain financial loopholes in the German film industry, despite the terrible returns his films get he still continues to churn out utter crap. Having said that...

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale may be one of the best 'bad' films I have ever seen. Not best as in direction, costumes, dialogue or anything like that, but enjoyment factor. Jason Statham as the hero of the piece who busies himself with the usual Stathe-y stuff; growling, staring, running and fighting. Yeh he talks a wee bit too, but mostly that's covered with the growling.
Burt f'ing Reynolds as the King of the piece, looking a tad embarassed but getting paid all the same. Matthew Lillard of Scream/Scooby Doo fame is the nephew of the king and I think experiments with an english accent which is pretty amusing in it's own right.
The villain of the piece is an over the top Ray Liotta in a long leather jacket who seems to have a blast cackling like a maddie, casting spells and even sword fighting with some witchy/wizard guy by using his mind only. It's frigging awesome.

Now, I've seen the LOTR films and enjoyed their battles the most, so having a wannabe LOTR film with crazy/stupid battles with a bit, well, LOT, of stupidity in between is the kind of film I can put on after a few drinks and just have an awesome time.

If I were to sit down and analyse it next to LOTR or even Willow, it wouldn't score well. On it's own, it gives me enjoyment and some laughs which is sometimes all you need :)

51DejZIMVNL.jpg

[YOUTUBE]ggWS4tTzs60[/YOUTUBE]​

A group of survivors are trapped inside a truck stop, as they try to survive the attacks from possessed trucks and other machines. Bill Robinson (Emilio Estevez) eventually becomes the leader of the group of survivors, and he encourages everyone to fight back. But the machines and trucks become more viscous and relentless as time passes, and the need for an escape becomes urgent, because the survivors are running out of time.

I LOVE Maximum Overdrive. I first saw this film earlier this year, and I actually had to buy this one on DVD, because I really did fall in love with this film. First of all, Maximum Overdrive is a VERY campy horror/comedy, and you really shouldn't take this one too seriously. Maximum Overdrive does provide plenty of laughs, the story feels unique, this film does feature a few spook moments, the AC/DC soundtrack used here is excellent, and the acting is very solid. Emilio Estevez does a good job with lead role, and he is very believable, as the brave and fearless leader of the group. Again, you really shouldn't take Maximum Overdrive too seriously. You have to go into this film with an open mind for anything, and you you have to step outside of any comfort zone you might have, but Maximum Overdrive can be a very fun film, and this one is on my list of all-time favorites.

Also, the critics love to bash Stephen King's directing for this film, but I really don't understand all of the hate. King's style of directing does feel kind of plain most of the time, but King's directing really doesn't hurt this film or drag it down at all. King didn't do anything memorable behind the camera here, but his directing isn't awful, and the criticisms King receives for his directing can just be another case of the critics overreacting in the worst way.

Last_action_hero_ver2.jpg

[YOUTUBE]WPOCk-MDwtk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]​

Last Action Hero has always been a HUGE favorite of mine, and I've loved this film for years. Last Action Hero has been trashed by many critics for years, and this film has landed on Schwarzenegger's list of embarrassments (although, I've always thought Kindergarten Cop and Twins deserve more credit). First of all, YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO TAKE THIS FILM SERIOUSLY. A lot of the critics and haters like to bash this film, because they think this film's identity is unclear. "Is this suppose to be an action film or a comedy?!?! I can't tell the difference!" I've seen these same type of criticisms for years, and a lot of people really don't get the point of this film. Last Action Hero is a satire of Hollywood style action films. This film pokes fun at all of the usual clichés and cheesy predictable moments you'll see in Hollywood action films, and this film really does provide some great humor.

Also, the cameo appearances in this film are very enjoyable. If you play close attention to the trailer, you'll see Sharon Stone and Robert Patrick (the T-1000 from Judgement Day). They appear around the 1:25 mark, and like the other celebrity appearances in this film, they do feel very surprising, and the cameos really were a nice touch here, because these appearances just add to the strong flashy Hollywood feeling in this film.

Last Action Hero features some excellent comedy, the action scenes are fun and entertaining, and the story for this film is pretty unique. And this film does feature a very solid cast. Schwarzenegger was a perfect choice for the lead role, because he is very believable as the tough and cocky action star, and Arnold is a legend in the action genre. Charles Dance was an enjoyable villain here, and I guess I'm one of the very few people, who actually liked the Benedict character. Danny Madigan was a character, who you could actually root for, and Austin O'Brien's performance was decent enough. Oh, and Bridgette Wilson (Schwarzenegger's daughter in this film) was still smoking hot in 1993, she did deliver as the eye candy here, and the Whitney character is one of the many highlights in this film.

I will always enjoy Last Action Hero, because I know this is one of those films you aren't suppose to take too seriously, so I really don't get the identity crisis complaint for this one. This film gives you a good mix of humor, fantasy, action, and this film is loaded with some very entertaining characters. Last Action Hero is a prime example of satire at its best, and I always enjoy the fun and wild adventure this film features.

The Cell (2000)
The-Cell-2000-Hollywood-Movie-Watch-Online.jpg

[YOUTUBE]5sC3LisvAfY[/YOUTUBE]

This movie, was always on my list of most underrated films of the past 15 years. Jennifer lopez gets most of the guff, and much like Daredevil and Ben affleck, the movie was panned strictly because people can't separate their opinion of a actor to the movie itself. Vincent D'Onofrio did an AMAZING job, and made you legit feel like he was a nutcase.

Needing to find out the whereabouts of a female captive, Lopez's character journeys into the mind of a killer, literally. The director and graphics designers use the most perverted and odd imagery to give the impression of what goes on in the mind, and especially a sick mind like the killers.

The movie itself, was well paced, amazing graphics, and very very unique. I would suggest this to anyone who wants a thought provoking film

The Cell (2000)
The-Cell-2000-Hollywood-Movie-Watch-Online.jpg

[YOUTUBE]5sC3LisvAfY[/YOUTUBE]

This movie, was always on my list of most underrated films of the past 15 years. Jennifer lopez gets most of the guff, and much like Daredevil and Ben affleck, the movie was panned strictly because people can't separate their opinion of a actor to the movie itself. Vincent D'Onofrio did an AMAZING job, and made you legit feel like he was a nutcase.

Needing to find out the whereabouts of a female captive, Lopez's character journeys into the mind of a killer, literally. The director and graphics designers use the most perverted and odd imagery to give the impression of what goes on in the mind, and especially a sick mind like the killers.

The movie itself, was well paced, amazing graphics, and very very unique. I would suggest this to anyone who wants a thought provoking film

This is true. Personally, I've never been a huge fan of Jennifer Lopez (the singer, or the actor), but she really wasn't bad in this film. Her performance wasn't Oscar worthy at all, but she isn't terrible, and the majority of the critics really do overreact here. Lopez's performance was decent enough, and she was pretty believable in this film. Lopez gets a lot of shit, because she's been labeled one of the Hollywood gold diggers over the years. She's seen her fair share of high profiled relationships (Ben Affleck, Diddy, or whatever the hell he calls himself now a days, and Marc Anthony), she's known as the woman, who used her good looks to get to the top, and a lot of people just can't stand her. But the Lopez bashing for this film shouldn't surprise anyone, because the critics usually trash all of her films (with the exception of Bordertown).

But yeah, I've always enjoyed The Cell. The Cell is an outstanding mystery/suspense thriller, and the this film is filled with some mesmerizing visuals. And I'm always impressed with how they balance the amount of horror and fantasy. The dream sequences can provide this unique and amazing beauty, but at the same time, the thoughts, memories, and feelings of the killer help provide the essential terrifying moments. The Cell can be a very disturbing film most of the time, and this one really doesn't deserve all the hate it gets. Also, you can see one of Vince Vaughn's more enjoyable non-comedy roles here.

My choice here is probably one of the most universally bashed films of all time: Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skulls

Kingdomofthecrystalskull.jpg

Notice how I didn't say critically bashed, since professional critics mostly were mixed on this movie, fan reaction is where the hate begins. Anyone can be a critic so fans count too, anyway let's get started.

Unlike the other I have defended I really don't think I need to go too much into the plot. Chances are most of you have already seen this film so let me just briefly explain the plot. It's Indiana Jones, and my simplification of the plot is this; he has to get the get the crystal skulls. Now there is a lot more too it than that including the aliens at the end, but I am sure most of you know it already. Anyway the fan reaction was the epitome of nit-picking. Moments like the nucking of the fridge survival, the jeep waterfall scene, and the aliens have all been subject criticism among many. Now from what I have seen most of them claim that it either doesn't belong in an Indiana Jones movie, or it's not realistic.

In terms of quality you know it was never going to be a classic, nor comparable to Raider of the lost ark or The last Crusade, these are timeless classics. I thought it was a very fun action film, basic for an action film really. Without Indiana it would just be your run-off-the mill action movie. A decent movie here overall for me, now let's get to the nitpicking. Scenes like the fridge one, and the waterfall with the jeep are in no way realistic at all, you would die from that. However last time I checked Indiana Jones wasn't the most realistic series, its fantasy. I mean look at the first 3 films, you had the leap of faith, a centuries old guard for the holy grail and a guy getting his heart ripped out. None of that is realistic so why should everything in THIS one be. Another claim is that since all of the other movies are based on religious artifacts that this one should be as well. However the crystal skulls ARE in a way a religious artifact. If you'd do your homework you would see that Alien's much like Allah's, Christ's, or God's existence are subject to controversy and debate, the skulls are artifacts to that belief. Now I know there is more to religion than belief but like Indy said before "it depends on who your god is".

It's a decent flick but it has been marred by fan reaction and claims, and un-fairly if you ask me.

[YOUTUBE]-J2fo5alMVI[/YOUTUBE]

Taken.

Now Taken, like Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, isn't universally panned, sitting at an average of 51% on the Rotten Tomatoes scale. Why? I have no idea.

The plot is about a divorced father (Liam Neeson) and his daughter (Maggie Grace). At the beginning of the film, Liam Neeson's daughter pleads with him to let her go on a trip to France with her friend. At first he denies her request but eventually caves in. Whilst in France, Maggie's character gets kidnapped whilst on the phone to her papi, leading to the rather famous quote: ''I will find you and I will kill you.'' A wild chase for his daughter ensues leading him to use his many resources from being an ex-marine to clever use to find the kidnapper.

Yes, the plot follows a simple formula. Man has something done to him. Man gets angry. Man goes to kill someone. Man kills that someone. But, Taken was not meant to me remembered for its captivating storyline, it was meant to be remembered for its nitty-gritty fight scenes, awesome stunts, clever use of gadgets, continuity, etc... It is plain and simple, one hell of a popcorn flick. It has you on the edge of your seat since the beginning. Sure, Maggie Grace's acting is awful, but she's not in it much, thankfully and that's the only real flaw I can think of. Great, great movie.

Road House(1989)- It stars Patrick Swayze, Sam Elliott and Ben Garzarra(Terry Funk is also in it.

I'm not for sure if it was slammed by critics but I'd imagine it was. It's basically your basic 80s action flick, it has a bunch of fighting, explosions, monster trucks and nudity(on the DVD version). The writing isn't great and it calls for alot of suspension of belief, but the bottom line is that I enjoy it and I've yet to find anybody that hasn't. And isn't that the sole purpose of a movie? I've seen it on almost every channel imaginable from AMC to Spike TV to HBO. I think the fact that it comes on all the time, on a bunch of different stations tells you how many people like it. So yeah it wasn't your typical "Oscar worthy" film but it was enjoyable and I'll watch it anytime it's on so that's good enough for me.

Another_forty_eight_hours.jpg

[YOUTUBE]M72MoPRAHTc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]​

A lot of critics like to bash this film, and Another 48 Hrs. has taken a lot of heat over the years, but I still love this film. Another 48 Hrs. takes a lot of grief, because the critics classify this film as a lazy and disappointing carbon copy sequel. Well, they might have a point, when it comes to the carbon copy stuff, because the story does feel similar to the original, and the similarities are very noticeable. In fact, the different timeline is one the few major changes in this film. Still, the similarities don't bother me. Why? Because Another 48 Hrs. is STILL an entertaining film.

The chemistry between Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy is still there, and these two do provide plenty of laughs as the odd couple. Another 48 Hrs. features more intense and thrilling action scenes, and the acting is very enjoyable. Murphy and Nolte still provide plenty of laughs, and this film does feature a nice set of solid performances. Another 48 Hrs. provides a good mix of action and comedy, this one is filled with a good amount of hilarious moments, and I can always watch this film over and over again.

Another 48 Hrs. might have that "same old, same old" feeling, and this film might not be able to top the original, but you can still have a good time with this one. Nolte and Murphy are still sharp as the argumentative odd couple, and overall, this can be a very entertaining film. It's one thing if you prefer 48 Hrs. over the sequel, but using the "it's not as a good as the original" stuff as a reason to bash this film just seems kind of ridiculous, when you stop and think about it.

51N99F2W3DL.jpg

[YOUTUBE]qnOw-Uvs6w0[/YOUTUBE]​

This film starts off with a cruel and heartless prank. Kenny Hampson (Derek MacKinnon) is the shy and nerdy guy, who doesn't know what's coming. Kenny thinks he's about to lose his virginity to Alana Maxwell (Jamie Lee Curtis), but his nerves might get the best of him. Eventually, Kenny calms down, but the "romantic" mood still doesn't feel right. Kenny quickly realizes he was set up, as he begins to kiss the corpse of an elderly woman. Kenny freaks out, and after the prank, he's sent to a mental institution. Three years later, Alana joins some friends at a costume party. This party takes place during a lengthy train ride, and Alana still has some bitter feelings towards Doc (Doc was the mastermind of the prank). Alana really didn't want to join the prank, she feels bad about what happened to Kenny, and Doc (Hart Bochner) can be a real jerk most of the time, so Alana's good mood quickly begins to fade. But Doc's shenanigans aren't the biggest problem. Kenny has returned, he hasn't forgotten the night of the prank, and he wants revenge in the worst way.

Terror Train receives a lot of hate, because this film has been labeled as "your typical 80'slasher." My response to this criticism would be....."so what!" Yes. Terror Train might feel like your standard 80's slasher, but this can still be an enjoyable horror film.

Terror Train does feature some nice suspense, and the gore in this film can be pretty graphic and gruesome. You won't see an overflow of bloody kills in this film, but the aftermath of the murders can feel shocking, because you will see some mangled and dismembered corpses here. Also, Terror Train does provide one of the more crafty and smart killers in a slasher film. Kenny is the killer. This becomes obvious early on, but Kenny is able to use costume changes to disguise his identity. Kenny knows when to strike at the right moment, and his knowledge of the victims does come in handy throughout this film, because Kenny does silently befriends some of the victims here. Kenny quietly moves through the train, killing everyone who was apart of the prank, and this character is always one step ahead of anyone, who might try to capture him. And Terror Train does manage to throw some nice curveballs at you. At first, Kenny is the ONLY suspect, but Ken The Magician (David Copperfield) begins to raise some doubts. Ken's illusions do cause some suspicions, and Copperfield's character does become a believable candidate for the murderer in this film. There is a nice shocking surprise at the end, and I really didn't see it coming, when I first watched this film years ago.

Jamie Lee Curtis does excellent job with the acting in this film, Ben Johnson provides an enjoyable performance, and the rest of the cast is solid enough. Terror Train might fit the mold of your typical 80's slasher, but you can still have a good time with this film. Curtis proves to be a perfect match for slasher films here, and this film does move at a nice pace. Terror Train is one of my favorites, I can't count the number of times I've seen this film, and I do pop this one into the DVD player every now and then.

Of course, Hollywood is planning a remake of this film in the near future. Hollywood LOVES to reach into the bag of past horror films, when they decide to do remakes, so this really doesn't surprise me. I'm not excited the upcoming remake at all. Who can match Jamie Lee Curtis' performance? I can't think of a rising young actress, who would want to accept a role in this type of film, and Curtis was outstanding in the original. Also, I'm sure this film will feature more blood and brutality, and I doubt they'll make a serious effort to capture the old school essence of the 1980 version. A lot of people probably haven't seen the original version, and the horror genre was flooded with slasher films in the 1980's, so this one does suffer from the "getting lost in the shuffle" problem. Still, more people should be aware of the 1980 version. You should give this one a try, if you're curious, because I'm sure the remake will be terrible.

51235PEHNAL.jpg

[YOUTUBE]TQqVyz2k-pw[/YOUTUBE]​

The Revenge Of Michael Myers was my first post in this thread, and I wanted to return to the Halloween franchise for my next post, so I decided to pick The Return Of Michael Myers.

Every other Halloween film (including the Rob Zombie remakes) after the classic 1978 original has been torn apart by critics. The Return Of Michael Myers has always received a lot of unjustified hate from critics, and this film does receive a ton of nitpicky criticisms from Halloween films. This film might not be as good as the original, but Halloween 4 is still a solid horror flick.

Micheal's endless pursuit for Laurie Strode is put on hold in this film, and Myers begins to stalk a new victim. Jamie Lloyd (Danielle Harris) is Micheal's niece, and once Michael learns of her existence, he sets out on a mission to finish her off once and for all.

Again, this isn't as great as the original, but Halloween 4 can still be an enjoyable slasher flick. The deaths in this film can provide some cringing moments, because the kills are very violent and brutal. Halloween 4 does provide a few spook moments, and this film does feature the return of Michael Myers and Dr. Samuel Loomis. Both of these characters didn't have an appearance in Season Of The Witch (Halloween III), and a Halloween film without Loomis and Myers doesn't feel right at all, so their return in this film did feel like a breath of fresh air.

Also, Jamie Lloyd was a nice addition to the cast. Danielle Harris couldn't fill Jamie Lee Curtis' shoes as the #1 victim, but still, this was a character, who you could feel for. You wanted Jamie to survive Micheal's reign of terror, and Harris did provide a believable performance in this film. And Ellie Cornell wasn't bad as Rachel here, and I'm actually glad she survived Micheal's rampage in this film. Her death in the fifth film was a real shame, because the Rachel character was Jamie's closet friend and protector. She was willing to risk her life for Jamie's safety, and she was a fearless character.

Halloween 4 is an enjoyable film, and I've always LOVED the cliffhanger at the end of this one. Everything feels so calm and peaceful at the very end of this film, because Myers is presumed dead, and Jamie is safe. But when Jamie attacks her step mother, things take a horrific turn for the worst. This was a genuinely shocking ending, and NOBODY could've expected something like this. Jamie is this sweet and innocent character throughout the entire film, but she unknowingly forms a connection with Michael, and Jamie inherits his bloodthirsty killer instincts. This ending was a complete mind fuck, and I'll never forget the image of Jamie standing at the top of the stairs, while holding a pair of scissors. This is a memorable scene in the Halloween film series, this image has been burned in memory forever, and the creepy emotionless look on Jamie's face is just priceless.

Halloween (1978) did set the bar high, but a lot of the other films in the Halloween franchise receive some unjustified hate, and Halloween 4 is near the top of my list of Halloween films that don't deserve the harsh bashing (Halloween II 1981 will always be #1 for me, and I've never been able to understand all of the hate for that film). Michael Myers and Dr. Loomis make their much anticipated return to the franchise, the kills in this film are pretty gruesome, Halloween 4 features characters, who you can care about, and there are a few scares here...what more could you ask for? Again, the original Halloween film did set the bar high, but you don't have to bash every other film in this series because of this. This Halloween film is different. You see a lot of changes here, and yeah, this film doesn't pack the same powerful punch as the original, but still, this is NOT a bad film.

Last_action_hero_ver2.jpg

[YOUTUBE]WPOCk-MDwtk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]​

Last Action Hero has always been a HUGE favorite of mine, and I've loved this film for years. Last Action Hero has been trashed by many critics for years, and this film has landed on Schwarzenegger's list of embarrassments (although, I've always thought Kindergarten Cop and Twins deserve more credit). First of all, YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO TAKE THIS FILM SERIOUSLY. A lot of the critics and haters like to bash this film, because they think this film's identity is unclear. "Is this suppose to be an action film or a comedy?!?! I can't tell the difference!" I've seen these same type of criticisms for years, and a lot of people really don't get the point of this film. Last Action Hero is a satire of Hollywood style action films. This film pokes fun at all of the usual clichés and cheesy predictable moments you'll see in Hollywood action films, and this film really does provide some great humor.

Also, the cameo appearances in this film are very enjoyable. If you play close attention to the trailer, you'll see Sharon Stone and Robert Patrick (the T-1000 from Judgement Day). They appear around the 1:25 mark, and like the other celebrity appearances in this film, they do feel very surprising, and the cameos really were a nice touch here, because these appearances just add to the strong flashy Hollywood feeling in this film.

Last Action Hero features some excellent comedy, the action scenes are fun and entertaining, and the story for this film is pretty unique. And this film does feature a very solid cast. Schwarzenegger was a perfect choice for the lead role, because he is very believable as the tough and cocky action star, and Arnold is a legend in the action genre. Charles Dance was an enjoyable villain here, and I guess I'm one of the very few people, who actually liked the Benedict character. Danny Madigan was a character, who you could actually root for, and Austin O'Brien's performance was decent enough. Oh, and Bridgette Wilson (Schwarzenegger's daughter in this film) was still smoking hot in 1993, she did deliver as the eye candy here, and the Whitney character is one of the many highlights in this film.

I will always enjoy Last Action Hero, because I know this is one of those films you aren't suppose to take too seriously, so I really don't get the identity crisis complaint for this one. This film gives you a good mix of humor, fantasy, action, and this film is loaded with some very entertaining characters. Last Action Hero is a prime example of satire at its best, and I always enjoy the fun and wild adventure this film features.

Yes, this one. This film is hilarious and I just cant understand how people dont get it. It's far superior to films like Hot Shots and Loaded weapon because not only is it funnier but it stands on its own two legs as it isnt relying on another film for a direct parody and even if it wasnt a comedy it'd still be a good film.

If you dont find it funny then fair enough (I guess, weirdo) but if you cant see what this is supposed to be then there is no helping you, which seems to be a lot of people.

Also Charles Dance is a fucking beast.

chana.jpg

One film that surprised me recently was the re-make of "The Karate Kid," with Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith.

The critics were unkind to it, as they are to most re-makes, but I was amazed at how much I enjoyed this film.

It essentially followed the original version, save that it takes place in China and might have been more aptly named "The Kung Fu Kid.":)

The best part was Jackie Chan. I've always been lukewarm to his screen persona as he fights and wisecracks his way through each role. In this movie, he acted. He took the "Mr. Migayi" part and made it his own, using a subtle, brooding personality instead of the wild man, often goofy roles we expect from him. He fought only once, at the beginning of the movie, and spent the rest of it becoming the wise father figure to his progeny. The interaction between the two was touching.

Jaden Smith was irresistible in the "Daniel-san" role. As Dre, he plays the sad, lonely kid who attaches himself to Mr. Han as he struggles to adapt to his new environment. I can't believe how this kid got to me; he's so adorable, he squeaks. He's got a terrific future as an actor, if he wants it.

You could follow events in this movie by connecting them to the first version. There were the same problems with the bullies, adventures with the girlfriend......and, of course, the fighting tournament at the end.

But the best part was Jackie Chan. I never thought I'd appreciate him because I didn't think he could genuinely act......and I was wrong.

51ZR2A91CGL.jpg

Rocky V has received a ton of hate for years, and most fans will remember this film as the black sheep of the entire franchise. The critics bash this one for being the weakest Rocky film in the entire series, but Rocky V does have a small group of supporters and fans, and I'm one of them!

Throughout the Rocky series, Stallone's character was always the underdog, or he faced insurmountable odds (Clubber Lang Ivan Drago). In Rocky (1976) Stallone was the ultimate underdog, but he managed to defeat Apollo Creed, and in Rocky II he was able to prove his doubters wrong, as he defeated Creed again. In Rocky III he faced the viscous and brutal Clubber Lang, but Rocky triumphed during the rematch. And in Rocky IV, Balboa avenged the death of a friend by defeating the powerful and unstoppable monster, Ivan Drago. But everything changed in Rocky V.

Balboa wasn't on top of the world anymore. He wasn't the World Champion, and making his way back to the #1 spot in the rankings wasn't a major concern for him. In Rocky V, you see a beaten and broken version of the Rocky Balboa character. He suffers from brain damage, he's lost most of his money, and his son Robert has become the typical out of control and rebellious teenager, who doesn't want to listen to his parents. Rocky gives most of his time and attention to the new and young prospect in the boxing world (Tommy Gunn), and Robert begins to feel neglected because of this. The entire atmosphere in Rocky V feels so different, and I've always enjoyed the changes.

This film features some nice drama, and Rocky V does have some genuine moving moments. Adrian's "Rocky, you're losing your family!" speech is just great, and as always, you can really feel the passion in Talia Shire's voice. Rocky isn't THE man anymore in this film. His character hit Rock bottom, he lost most of his money, and he had to reconnect with his son. Yeah, I know, some people probably grew tired of seeing Rocky dig himself out of another hole. After all, this was the fifth film in the series, so another Rocky comeback probably had that "same old, same old" feeling for a lot of fans. But I could still feel sympathy for the Rocky character in this film. As I said before, Balboa wasn't fighting for more world titles or a high spot in the rankings here. No. He dealt with family problems, he wasn't in good health, and Rocky had to find his self-confidence again.

Also, I enjoyed the final showdown between Rocky and Tommy Gunn. Ending this film with a street fight was a nice touch, because audiences had already seen so many boxing match finales in the other four films, but this wasn't a boxing match, and a world title wasn't on the line here. This was just a fight between two former best friends. Rocky still had something to prove, and Tommy's mind had been corrupted by the slimy and greedy boxing promoter, Duke. Rocky refused to quit, and he proved he still had plenty of fight left in him, as he delivered the final blow to the young and cocky prospect. Tommy turned into this flashy punk, who left Rocky behind. Rocky was the man, who helped him get to the top, but Tommy turned his back on his trainer, and he left Balboa for the rich and famous lifestyle of a star athlete. You wanted to see Rocky get revenge for Tommy's betrayal, and the street fight did deliver that great moment of redemption.

Sylvester Stallone has expressed his feelings of disappointment for this film before. In fact, this film is the main reason why Stallone decided to go ahead and make Rocky VI (or Rocky Balboa). Stallone wanted the Rocky series to end on an a "high and emotional" note, and Stallone feels Rocky V didn't accomplish this goal. Well, I can understand Stallone's frustrated feelings, but ending any film franchise on a perfect note can be a hard, and sometimes impossible task. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King would be one prime example of a film franchise that delivers a highly satisfying and emotional conclusion, but you can't expect everything to be so perfect.

Rocky V is NOT a bad film. The acting is still very good, this film still features characters who you can care about, and this film does feature some emotional and dramatic moments. The changes in Rocky V feel refreshing, and I can still feel for Rocky, as he struggled to accept his new life. Of course, this isn't the best film in the entire series, and this one isn't my favorite, but Rocky V can still be an enjoyable Rocky film, and I can always watch this film over and over again.

Oh, and Duke's knockout has to be one of my favorite movie moments ever. The Duke character was such a scumbag throughout this film, and Richard Grant really did nail this character, because he looked like a perfect clone of Don King. Towards the very end of the film, after Rocky defeats Tommy in the street fight, Duke tries to push Rocky's buttons. Duke issues the infamous "touch me and I'll sue" line. Rocky thinks about the repercussions of slugging Duke at first, but he quickly realizes he has nothing to lose, and he delivers a crushing blow to the slimy and money-driven boxing promoter. This was a great moment, because Duke was such an annoying character. He was someone, who you wanted to hate, and you just wanted someone to shut his mouth once and for all. Stallone and Richard Grant provided one of my favorite Rocky moments of all time, because Duke finally got what he deserved.

[YOUTUBE]goE0zHYx2r4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]​

I'm gonna go with:

Dontbeamenace.jpg

Don''t Be A Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood

Personally I think this movie is hilarious and I think spoofs the "In the hood" movies of the early 90's very well especially Boyz N Tha Hood and Menace II Society (both movies I'm a fan of).

The premise of the movie itself is basically a hybrid of both storylines with Shawn Wayans (Ash Tray) moving to the hood with his young dad (who is somehow younger than he is) and his cousin O-Dog played by Marlon Wayans.

My favorite character in the film was hands down Bernie Mac's version of the self hating cop talking about how he hate basically every person or thing that is black (like his gums and black pepper). I just think they did a great job poking fun of all the stereotypes these movies had from their friend who saw the light and has a thing for ugly white chicks and their friend Crazy Legs who was paralyzed from a drive by dreaming of being a dancer, everything just fit together well and watching Shawn Wayans hook up and start a relationship with the neighbourhood cum dumpster was all hilarious to watch and an interesting way to tie the whole movie together.

All in all its by no means a great movie but its a movie I enjoy watching pretty much anytime and is always a pleasure for me to watch.

My favorite movie of all time is The Garbage Pail Kids Movie.

I remember like it was yesterday when I first saw it. I was in 5th grade at the video store with my mom because I wanted to rent the animated GI Joe movie with Sgt.Slaughter and I saw The Garbage pail kids movie on the shelve and at first look I was like wow this looks like the weirdest movie I have to watch it and ever since then it has been my favorite movie ever. I liked the whole story to movie and everything it to tell you the truth I can't think of one bad scene. I know it may sound a little weird but I can almost quote that entire movie. I've had to watch it over 100 times by now. When I was younger I would watch it over and over again I try not to watch it as much as I use to now but even now when I watch it now it's just like the first time. I would have loved to have friends like the Garbage Pail Kids. Just about every single movie I like is hated by a critic that’s why I can never trust them. Every movie I watch was pretty much made from 1930-1999. I think that the best movies were made in the 80s. I wasn't even born when the garbage pail kids movie came out or didn't collect the cards I just saw the movie. Now I have a shirts buttons coffee mug pencil case and I have a few cards. Someday I hope to collect all the cards I plan on getting a Garbage Pail Kids tattoo soon. I'm either going to get Windy Winston or the GPK logo It's a real fun movie I mean how can you call this a bad movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uigHV-gOHxs

also I recommend you watch Gigil it's terrible for all the good reasons. I knew it was terrible but I was laughing the whole time Ben Affleck is so ridiculous in it. I felt the same way when I watched The Happening because that was a great comedy film. That was another movie that was awesomely bad. I could really go on forever with naming these types of movies

Like Troll 2 and It's Pat had anyone ever scene those two. I also consider those two on my all-time favorite movie list. And Troll 2 is considered one of the worst movies ever made. It has nothing to do with the first Troll and has goblins instead of trolls. This movie is about vegetarian goblins who turn people into plants and eat them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RV1JHn7hYY A scene from Troll 2

awesome this was my 69th post

Another_forty_eight_hours.jpg

[YOUTUBE]M72MoPRAHTc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]​

A lot of critics like to bash this film, and Another 48 Hrs. has taken a lot of heat over the years, but I still love this film. Another 48 Hrs. takes a lot of grief, because the critics classify this film as a lazy and disappointing carbon copy sequel. Well, they might have a point, when it comes to the carbon copy stuff, because the story does feel similar to the original, and the similarities are very noticeable. In fact, the different timeline is one the few major changes in this film. Still, the similarities don't bother me. Why? Because Another 48 Hrs. is STILL an entertaining film.

The chemistry between Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy is still there, and these two do provide plenty of laughs as the odd couple. Another 48 Hrs. features more intense and thrilling action scenes, and the acting is very enjoyable. Murphy and Nolte still provide plenty of laughs, and this film does feature a nice set of solid performances. Another 48 Hrs. provides a good mix of action and comedy, this one is filled with a good amount of hilarious moments, and I can always watch this film over and over again.

Another 48 Hrs. might have that "same old, same old" feeling, and this film might not be able to top the original, but you can still have a good time with this one. Nolte and Murphy are still sharp as the argumentative odd couple, and overall, this can be a very entertaining film. It's one thing if you prefer 48 Hrs. over the sequel, but using the "it's not as a good as the original" stuff as a reason to bash this film just seems kind of ridiculous, when you stop and think about it.

I f'n love this movie! Great call on this and I think it is better than the original. The Ice-Man storyline is much or intriguing than the original and Cherry is an absolute bad ass trying to kill Richie and Jack and well it's a Walter Hill film and he is a legend with 80's action. Great pick!

What about a more recent one....

l_1288403_49816c3e.jpg

this one I think is more realistic than the first, it does away with the humour from the first one, and brings in a really dark vision. Long story short, JCVD is a Universal Soldier a dead soldier from Vietnam reanimated to be an unbeatable weapon. In the first movie back in the late 90's he escaped being a midless zombie and went back to his normal life after fighting off Lundgren's character.

In this one, terroists kidnap the Russion President's children with the help of a Next Generation UNiSol (NGU) (the Pitbull MMA guy - Arvolski) take them to Chernobyl and threaten to detonate a bomb in the reactor again causing nuclear holocaust. JVCD's character who is doing rehab to once again become a normal person is brought in to take down the NGU and stop the terroists.

However Lundgren's character has been reborn and well you can guess the rest.

this movie is all the way scifi action and has a lot of MMA type fighting. It is pure popcorn and I love it! The sets look eerie, the costumes are killer, the action is amazing, and we get the two main characters back from the original doing battle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back