Dave's All Scottish Music Thread

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi and welcome to “Dave’s All Scottish Music Thread”.

My main aim with this thread is to prove to people around the world that Scotland has one of the best music scenes in the world. I realise that the majority of the people on this forum are not from Scotland and I hope that this thread will help you realise, that Scotland, albeit a small country, has some pretty good musical talent. I would like to hear from you guys too though. What do you think of the bands coming from Scotland? Are you open to hearing them? Who are your favourites?

Right now I would like to say that this thread will not be about traditional Scottish music with bagpipes and the like. People who thought that it would be are sorely mistaken. No, in this thread it will probably be mostly alternative rock etc. I may also post up some pop stuff but I seriously doubt it. My favourite types of music are rock and alternative so that’s probably what I will be covering more than anything.

So on with the show. I thought that I would just go ahead and list to you what my favourite Scottish bands are. Then, every week, I will try and compile my thoughts on each band. So, for the first five weeks, I have picked out my 5 favourite Scottish bands and cover them first and foremost.

1) Biffy Clyro
2) Franz Ferdinand
3) The View
4) The Fratellis
5) Glasvegas

So my first review is going to be on Biffy Clyro.

Biffy Clyro are a band who formed in 2002, in Ayrshire, Scotland. Biffy Clyro have not been particularly successful abroad yet but in the United Kingdom, they are quickly becoming a force to be reckoned with. Since the release of the album “Puzzle”, Biffy Clyro have become more mainstream and recognisable. Until 2007, however, Biffy Clyro had been unsuccessful in breaking into the mainstream with 3 albums falling out of recognition almost immediately. Those albums are “Blackened Sky”, “The Vertigo of Bliss” and “Infinity Land”. All three of which charted poorly and subsequently did not help Biffy Clyro break the mainstream.

However, with the release of “Puzzle”, the band quickly achieved cult status and have sky rocketed to success in the UK. With songs from the album including “Living is a problem because everything dies”, “Saturday Superhouse”, “Who’s Got A Match” and “Get Fucked Stud”, Biffy Clyro have quickly become one of Scotland’s favourite bands. After “Puzzle however, it became clear that Biffy Clyro are going from strength to strength, releasing the single “Mountains” shortly after. “Mountains” is the bands most successful single to date and is not currently listed on any album. It is with this song that the band has truly become a headline act for Scotland. The song finally ended up at number 5 in the mainstream chart, this may not sound like much but it is a great achievement, especially when a rock song hasn’t top the single chart in a long time in the United Kingdom. In fact, the last one to do so was “Welcome To The Black Parade” by My Chemical Romance all the way back in October 2006. All I am trying to prove is that, in Scotland, there is not an awful lot of opportunities to become successful in the mainstream if you are a rock group.

Biffy Clyro has grown in stature though and ahs become one the best names in Scottish music at the moment. Not bad for a band named after a silly sounding football player eh? “Big Imagination For Feeling Young 'Cos Life Yearns Real Optimism” is another way that they may have found their name apparently. Anyway, the band has found good success at live events too, headlining many festivals including T In The Park, probably the best festival in the UK, although that is debatable.

So, Biffy Clyro have become one of the sparks in Scotland’s bright flame in the music scene. I would urge you to youtube, download or buy some of the songs in their library. I promise you, you won’t be disappointed in what you get. This band will be big.

“Mon The Biffy!”

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back