Daniel Bryan does not deserve a WM main event

James Greiga

Pre-Show Stalwart
There was an article a few days ago about HHH letting the internet get to him. I think now I believe it. I know a lot of you IWC dicks and Daniel Bryan marks out there will disagree with me on this but I have to say it. DANIEL BRYAN IS NOT AN ALL TIME GREAT

Why give him the main event at Wrestlemania? Because crowds chant YES!? Crowds just want something to chant, they like interacting. How many times have they chanted along with the "Feed Me More" chants for Ryback, a jobber? Plus most of them only cheer because they think that's what they're supposed to do. A perfect example is Batista. Nobody booed him until Pittsburg booed him. Now they only do it because they think that's what they're supposed to do. When you have kids booing Batista before his heel turn, what does that tell you? What the hell does a kid know about wrestling ability or taking spots from younger guys? They only go along with everyone else just like most of WWE's fickle fans.

Just because he gets loud cheers that means something? What about Zack Ryder and Hurricane? Both sold far more merch than Daniel Bryan did at their peaks and were more popular than he is now because they were able to prove it with profit. Daniel Bryan deserves a Wrestlemania main event and those guys don't? There was a reason they didn't and the same goes for Daniel Bryan. Not every guy who can get some crowds to cheer for him deserves the belt.

Daniel Bryan gets fairly low ratings too. If a John Cena/Randy Orton match on RAW can get higher ratings than Daniel Bryan/Randy Orton the week before, what does that mean? A match we have literally seen over 15 times can draw more than this guy that is supposedly the next big thing? Then for some of you to go as far as saying he's the new Steve Austin is ridiculous. Stone Cold sold merch, he was a major crowd draw, he brought in ratings, he was a mainstream star during his time. For those crowds we saw chanting YES! at those games, again they just went along with everyone else. I bet if you surveyed each person in the stands, over 60% wouldn't even know who Daniel Bryan is.

In 10 years, people will see Daniel Bryan just like they see Hurricane and Zack Ryder. Memories that didn't last very long. By next years Wrestlemania he will be GONE from the title picture and WWE knows it. You IWC marks think you've won but you haven't won anything. WWE is just letting you think you have by giving Daniel Bryan that WM dream. To quote a certain batman villain, you're like dogs chasing cars you wouldn't know what to do with one if you caught it. What will you do when Daniel Bryan is champion? You won't pay to see the shows, you won't buy his merch, and being the fickle fans that you are you will lose interest by late-2014 and WWE knows it. They just want to appease you to get it over with and move on. They've done it with Benoit, they did it with Dolph Ziggler, and they'll do it with Daniel Bryan. Trust me, WWE wants to invest about as much in Daniel Bryan as they want us to remember the XFL

There was an article a few days ago about HHH letting the internet get to him. I think now I believe it. I know a lot of you IWC dicks and Daniel Bryan marks out there will disagree with me on this but I have to say it. DANIEL BRYAN IS NOT AN ALL TIME GREAT

But that's not relevant to WrestleMania exactly. Once upon a time Austin and Rock weren't all time greats. In fact, if you go into the Old School Wrestling forum, you'll see that most people panned WrestleMania 11 though 16 which happened to see the rise of Shawn Michaels, Kevin Nash, Steve Austin, Triple H and The Rock. They weren't great WrestleManias...not by a long shot. Yet those guys got the chance to lead, and over time earned their places as all time greats. That's how it works. Right now, Bryan is the most over guy on the roster. Why should he not get that shot given his current status, regardless of whether or not he goes down as an "all time great".

Why give him the main event at Wrestlemania? Because crowds chant YES!? Crowds just want something to chant, they like interacting. How many times have they chanted along with the "Feed Me More" chants for Ryback, a jobber? Plus most of them only cheer because they think that's what they're supposed to do. A perfect example is Batista. Nobody booed him until Pittsburg booed him. Now they only do it because they think that's what they're supposed to do. When you have kids booing Batista before his heel turn, what does that tell you? What the hell does a kid know about wrestling ability or taking spots from younger guys? They only go along with everyone else just like most of WWE's fickle fans.

Pittsburgh was his first big return match, and that first match put him in the Main Event of WrestleMania. Are you saying that Pittsburgh was an isolated incident and that wouldn't have happened elsewhere? Is it just something in the water in PA?

Just because he gets loud cheers that means something? What about Zack Ryder and Hurricane? Both sold far more merch than Daniel Bryan did at their peaks and were more popular than he is now because they were able to prove it with profit. Daniel Bryan deserves a Wrestlemania main event and those guys don't? There was a reason they didn't and the same goes for Daniel Bryan. Not every guy who can get some crowds to cheer for you deserves the belt.

Who says Ryder and Hurricane sold more merchandise? Cite your source for that. At the moment, I'm calling BS.

Daniel Bryan gets fairly low ratings too. If a John Cena/Randy Orton match on RAW can get higher ratings than Daniel Bryan/Randy Orton the night before, what does that mean? A match we have literally seen over 15 times can draw more than this guy that is supposedly the next big thing?

If we've learned one thing in the past year, it's that it doesn't matter who is in the main event on RAW right now...the draw is pretty much the draw. The week to week numbers have been relatively static.

Then for some of you to go as far as saying he's the new Steve Austin is ridiculous. Stone Cold sold merch, he was a major crowd draw, he brought in ratings, he was a mainstream star during his time. For those crowds we saw chanting YES! at those games, again they just went along with everyone else. I bet if you surveyed each person in the stands, over 60% wouldn't even know who Daniel Bryan is.

This is true, Bryan is nowhere near the level Austin was. But the WWE is nowhere near the level they were 15 years ago either. So what's your point?

In 10 years, people will see Daniel Bryan just like they see Hurricane and Zack Ryder. Memories that didn't last very long. By next years Wrestlemania he will be GONE from the title picture and WWE knows it. You IWC marks think you've won but you haven't won anything. WWE is just letting you think you have by giving Daniel Bryan that WM dream. To quote a certain batman villain, you're like dogs chasing cars you wouldn't know what to do with one if you caught it. What will you do when Daniel Bryan is champion? You won't pay to see the shows, you won't buy his merch, and being the fickle fans that you are you will lose interest by mid-2013 and WWE knows it. They just want to appease you to get it over with and move on. They've done it with Benoit, they did it with Dolph Ziggler, and they'll do it with Daniel Bryan. Trust me, WWE wants to invest about as much in Daniel Bryan as they want to the XFL

<The Dude> That's just, like, your opinion, man </The Dude>

Not sure that I understand what you are saying. Who are you talking to? Are you sure that you are on the right forum? HHH is obsessed with the internet? Hurricane sold a lot of merchandise? This is a lot of information to take in. Why should I care about any of it?

Do you like Daniel Bryan? Who do you like? Who should be in the main event? Are you trying to start your own network? Just because fans can be fickle and may lose interest in a guy does that mean a wrestling promoter shouldn't take advantage of the guy while he is hot?

Anyway, good talking to you.

I honestly don't think you understand the whole concept of getting over.

"Getting over" is the term in wrestling is getting fans on your side or "jumping on the bandwagon." This translates into number of fans, pops, crowd reactions during matches, merch, and ratings, etc. There is no possible way a guy can just show up and be over. It takes time and he has to be put in the right positions. Steve Austin didn't just show up and be in the main event and start winning titles, it was a process and it took time. In fact, WCW beat WWF in ratings for the longest while Austin was on top, meaning that a star cannot be made overnight and that it takes time.

I don't understand the out of the blue Bryan hate. I have saw on here people say "he doesn't help ratings, or doesn't sell out arenas" and you are right to an extent. BUT he is massively over with the live audience and the WWE these past 3 months is really starting to get behind him, like they did with austin, rock, punk, lesnar, cena, batista, and almost every major star they've pushed. It's all about position on card and NOBODY IN HISTORY ever sold out arenas or helped ratings without WWE getting behind them and pushing them. That's What fans wanted for Bryan; for them to get completely behind him and give them the payoff to the story that started at summerslam. I'm sure you were the one of those few guys years ago during the summer of punk saying that punk sucked and that he doesn't even help ratings and is know clamoring for punk to come back.

By the way, Hurricane and Zack Ryder will never go down as a multiple time WWE champion like Daniel Bryan already is.

No, he's not... but he's the best WWE's got right now. He IS over, despite what you think, and is one of the most entertaining stars on the roster at the moment. I've never seen someone who basically just kicks people, flies through the ropes, and lock in a submission get so much love from a crowd. He's not great, but he's a breath of fresh air.

Ryback was one of the cases of WWE dropping the ball. It also doesn't help that Ryback's reportedly a mental case backstage. And nobody booed Batista until he won the Royal Rumble without Daniel Bryan not even being in the match. If Bryan had at least been IN the Rumble, this wouldn't he half as big as it is now.

Just because he gets loud cheers that means something? What about Zack Ryder and Hurricane? Both sold far more merch than Daniel Bryan did at their peaks and were more popular than he is now because they were able to prove it with profit. Daniel Bryan deserves a Wrestlemania main event and those guys don't? There was a reason they didn't and the same goes for Daniel Bryan. Not every guy who can get some crowds to cheer for him deserves the belt.

WWE's tried to catch lightning in a bottle for a while. From Zack Ryder to Fandango, they've tried to get something going that can change the way we look at WWE. They caught it with CM Punk and his promo, but he eventually proved to be about as reliable as Dwayne Johnson. Daniel Bryan is the actual Lightning In a Bottle that WWE needed. He gets the whole crowd going, he sales phenomenally well, and he's got a LOT of Mainstream buzz that WWE didn't even have to pay for.

Daniel Bryan gets fairly low ratings too. If a John Cena/Randy Orton match on RAW can get higher ratings than Daniel Bryan/Randy Orton the week before, what does that mean? A match we have literally seen over 15 times can draw more than this guy that is supposedly the next big thing? Then for some of you to go as far as saying he's the new Steve Austin is ridiculous. Stone Cold sold merch, he was a major crowd draw, he brought in ratings, he was a mainstream star during his time. For those crowds we saw chanting YES! at those games, again they just went along with everyone else. I bet if you surveyed each person in the stands, over 60% wouldn't even know who Daniel Bryan is.

It means Cena & Orton are better than Bryan, but that doesn't mean Daniel Bryan's terrible. HHH never drew Dwayne, Foley, or Austin numbers alone but he still drew numbers. People still love Daniel Bryan the same way they love Cena & Orton. Also, your stats are becoming annoying.

In 10 years, people will see Daniel Bryan just like they see Hurricane and Zack Ryder. Memories that didn't last very long. By next years Wrestlemania he will be GONE from the title picture and WWE knows it. You IWC marks think you've won but you haven't won anything. WWE is just letting you think you have by giving Daniel Bryan that WM dream. To quote a certain batman villain, you're like dogs chasing cars you wouldn't know what to do with one if you caught it. What will you do when Daniel Bryan is champion? You won't pay to see the shows, you won't buy his merch, and being the fickle fans that you are you will lose interest by late-2014 and WWE knows it. They just want to appease you to get it over with and move on. They've done it with Benoit, they did it with Dolph Ziggler, and they'll do it with Daniel Bryan. Trust me, WWE wants to invest about as much in Daniel Bryan as they want us to remember the XFL

Daniel Bryan has managed to stay popular ever since debuting on NXT. IWC went into an outrage when he was "fired" over the tie incident, they went ape shit when he won the MitB contract for the WHC, even crazier when he beat Show for the title, raged when he lost the title in 18 seconds after Mania, laughed when he became a member of Team Hell No, gave off the most legitimate pop since HHH's MSG return when he won the title at SS and an even louder boo when he was robbed of the title, and even demanded refunds when he didn't get the title back at the next three PPVs. You can pretend that Daniel Bryan is another Hurricane or Zack Ryder, but the fact that the fans are constantly behind him shows otherwise. Fans don't care for Ryder, and honestly never did as far as in-ring abilities go... at least not without Hawkins beside him. And Hurricane was a dropped ball after they never let him ascend higher than the CW title on Smackdown.

You're challenging fans of Daniel Bryan, like myself, to disagree with you. I don't disagree that you have the foresight of a fucking lemming and would thus draw the conclusion that Daniel Bryan is not an all time great. I think he's an all time great, I'm also a fan of his, kudos for drawing the obvious conclusion that I would make that kind of association.

Oh good fucking grief, we have another one. In your rambling non-sequitur series of fucking stupid conclusions, you suggest that the WWE only put Daniel Bryan in the main event for having an infectious chant, that only people from Pittsburgh are critical of Batista's abilities in the ring, that only children are critical of Batista and finally that ignorant children are the reason why the WWE decided to give Daniel Bryan a main event push.

It's not just a popular idea to like Daniel Bryan, his matches have fresh spots and he's a high energy performer. Those might be petty indulgences to a jack-off like you, for some of us he's a refreshing change to the usual redundancy of the card.

Pittsburgh has notoriously been a harsh crowd, but watch that PPV. John Cena and Randy Orton weren't exactly wrestling their hearts out in there, and for better or worse the crowd was red hot for Daniel Bryan. The Royal Rumble is a toss up and the majority of the crowd thought they bought a ticket to at least see Daniel Bryan in the Royal Rumble. They booed Batista because they felt that his star power wasn't good enough to replace Daniel Bryan's star power. People from other cities watched the PPV and felt gipped as well.

Now you're picking on children. Fucking lovely, one of the most immature sacks on this forum is questioning the maturity of a Daniel Bryan fan. Children are easy to influence, that is true. It's not just children who boo Batista or flaunt the #bootista hash-tag.

If you have a point to make on why exactly Daniel Bryan's fanbase is made up of immature fans who don't know what decent pro-wrestling is, fucking share it. Your word isn't worth shit until you back it up with a valid explanation.

Now you're supposing that loud cheers mean absolutely nothing because Zack Ryder was never the WWE Champion? Umm, have you ever been to a fucking live event before? I'm starting to believe that you're a hopeless sack who's only here because the Babylon 5 message board banned you. Daniel Bryan deserves the main event because he's the most over face the WWE has, and traditionally the Wrestlemania main event involves their most over face. CM Punk was the most over face during Zack Ryder's push, HHH and Stone Cold and The Rock were the most over faces during Hurricane's peak.

Following your logic of not giving someone the push because in your ass interpretation you imagine that Daniel Bryan is comparable to past faces who couldn't hang would be fucking stupid.

And I bet you've never backed up any of your points with an actual fucking citation. You're ranting now for the sole purpose of doing so, not because you feel genuinely offended that Daniel Bryan might be in the Wrestlemania main event.

You think that the cheering is a charade and that the true facts lie in your bullshit assumption that the fans tune out when Daniel Bryan is on tv. This might be a reason to speculate on the merits of Daniel Bryan's popularity, this isn't a reason to dump on an entire fan-base for not living up to your backward standards of common sense.

Don't lump everyone who disagrees with you together in one asinine argument. Your only argument against anyone who would say that Daniel Bryan is the next Stone Cold is that assuming as much doesn't impress you. Your fucking stupid rant wasn't a direct reply to anyone who's proposed as much, it's your desperate attempt to type up some random bullshit as an excuse to take yourself seriously.

Oh FOR FUCKS SAKE!! YOU ARE AN IWC MARK!! You're using the internet as your forum for airing your contrarian bullshit regarding what's popular, without this website you'd have to go back to having your ever present status in society as a hopeless underachiever shoved in your face.

You're quoting Joker to relate the desire of the fans to see Daniel Bryan at the top of the card to a madman's lust for chaos. I can't think of a more perfect way to recognize how fucking stupid you are, thanks for making it easy for me. We won't know what to do with the car, which you relate to Daniel Bryan's success, when we catch one. We will cheer for him, it's that simple. I realize that it would completely validate you to see all of your rambling bullshit turn out to be valid, but while fucking stupid interpretations of the future might fly with guests on Montel, on here you're just a fucking loser.

I've been buying tickets to see Bryan Danielson since he started in ROH, and I've been buying his merchandise since then as well. If he falls off the main card for any reason, I'll still be a fan of his. Hypothesize all fucking day about what the WWE might do with him, that's fine by me. Don't use grade school grammar to dictate to fans of his that you know better than we do in regard to how fleeting our whims are. Fucking Christ, this is what happens when abortion clinics get shut down.

Well, in any case, this whole Daniel Bryan initiative will be an interesting litmus test as to whether WWE responds to what the people want, or not.

In my opinion, WWE's creative efforts have developed a hugely successful program by making an underdog out of someone who looks the part. They want Daniel to be "Joe Everyman"....and they've gotten it done. Daniel even identifies with us; his "hijack" effort the other day had him standing in the ring with a group of his peers, imploring us to "root for him because he's exactly like us!"

In the original planning for the Daniel Bryan "phenomenon," I doubt he was scheduled to win a world championship, except possibly for a very short period of time. Management's plan was to cast Daniel as the eternal underdog, always coming close to the top but never quite getting there.

Now, they're faced with a dilemma; they almost have to give him the title to keep the fans happy. Personally, I think a great deal of his popularity comes strictly from the chant ("Yes!") that the fans love doing numerous times a night......but it still flies in the face of management originally wanting to keep Daniel striving for a championship, but not winning one. Once he takes the belt, he's no longer an underdog.

So, it will be interesting to see what they do at WM30. If WWE truly wants to give the fans what they want, Daniel gets to celebrate with the belt at the close of WM30. The crowd in attendance will be happy, all will be right with the world......and he'll lose the title a few weeks later so he can go back to being the scrappy overachiever.

Does Daniel Bryan deserve a main event? By what he's done with the choice program he was handed, I would say yes. As a personality, he's no better than he was a couple years ago when he was jobbing to people like Sin Cara.....but he's riding the wave of a creative effort that has worked like a charm.....and they ought to let him cash in while it all lasts.

Bryan has a lot of talent. He is great in the ring and is ridiculously popular. Even if you are not a massive Bryan fan, denying he is over is moronic. Bryan is going to close the show which is a tremendous honour and ultimately he does deserve this.

There are worse superstars to main-event Wrestlemania. There are definitely wrestlers that are less popular. However, they generally did it when there was less talent on the roster. I think Cena, Brock, Taker and Punk are all better than Bryan but he is so damn popular. Circumstance dictates he is the main-event and the others will be able to put on top quality matches ensuring this is a top quality card.

Bryan is going to be the focus of Wrestlemaina. He is a younger superstar and is popular. Moreover, his popularity all came because of Bryan. The "yes" chants began because of Bryan and the crowd love him. He deserves to be in the main-event because of that. His wrestling ability is what pushes him over the edge. That is what separates him from Zack Ryder.

Wow! What are you talking about man? I'm not such a huge fan of Daniel Bryan, but he sure as hell deserves to main event this year.

HBK took on Diesel, Stone Cold took on Bret Hart, Cena took on JBL, Batista took on Triple H, Rey Mysterio took on Kurt Angle and Randy Orton, back when none of these guys were "all time greats"

I'm not sure if they would do the same with Bryan like how they did with Benoit and Ziggler, but there is no way people would see him like Zack Ryder and Hurricane in 10 years. My man you are one BIG hater!!
No one ever wanted Hurricane and Ryder to main event WM lol. Daniel Bryan has been over since WM28, and the crowd reaction kept getting better and better. He gets the biggest pop in WWE now and is absolutely good in the ring, 101% better than Hurricane and Ryder lool. Not so great on the mic, but the crowd helps his promos. You can't really say he would go back to mid card in a few years time. You're just looking at those guys who failed. What about guys like Cena and Batista? Those guys made it big and didn't really have to go back to mid card after their big push. Bryan gets a bigger pop than what those guys used to get back then!

Besides, people pay to watch the superstars they wanna see. No way in hell would anyone want to see Orton vs Cena in the main event of WM this year. Everyone wants Bryan, and the WWE is finally giving him the opportunity. It's a great thing they aren't putting Cena in the world championship match. As long as he doesn't go over Bray, it's the best booking WWE has done with Cena in quite some time. Even the ones who boo Cena will start liking him again if he doesn't get involved much in the world championship for the next few months, and if he doesn't win the title from now on until his last run. He can put over stars and win some matches like how HBK did in the second half of his career. Everyone will start to like Cena again, but of course, haters like you are gonna hate whatever WWE does lol

I cannot understand why anyone would suggest that Daniel Bryan doesn't deserve a main event matchup at Wrestlemania. If anyone is over in the WWE at the moment, it's him. Look at the whole segment from RAW last week when they occupied the ring and forced the matchup with Triple H and the potential shot which could arise from it. Very entertaining stuff. It set up the Triple H versus Daniel Bryan match up that many of us want to see (more so than Triple H versus Punk in my opinion). I have no doubt that Bryan wins this match, because as much as people love to criticize Triple H and degrade him for never putting guys over, he does the job at Wrestlemania frequently.

The triple threat match involving two heels (who just happen to have history together as well as with Triple H) and Daniel Bryan has the potential to be the feel good moment of the year. After months of being the little engine that could, but never quite getting there, after weeks and weeks of beat downs and shenanigans, Daniel Bryan potentially ends the evening with the biggest prize in the business, with the "yes" movement going fully ballistic.

Bryan may not be everyone's favorite, but the guy is very talented in the ring, is far better on the mic than he gets credit for, and has a connection with the audience that most guys can only dream of having. Plus he's a breath of fresh air in the often stagnant WWE main event scene. If WWE does this properly, this could truly be an epic moment for everyone.

That's not to say that every superstar in the company should occupy the ring and throw a tantrum every time they don't get their own way, forcing the hand of management in the process. But in the kayfabe world of WWE, this whole occurrence was logical and provided a moment that we will be thinking back on for years.

I'm not naive enough to think that this was the plan all along from the perspective of WWE (although who's to say for sure that it wasn't). But even if this was all improvisation, what a masterful example of taking lemons and making lemonade. As much as some typically negative people have been criticizing the build toward WM30 and the event itself, I think it is shaping up really nicely. And Daniel Bryan taking out Triple H, Batista, and Randy Orton, all in the same evening to the utter delight of the fans, I think we are going to witness a truly epic moment in WWE history.

I disagree with so many points in here that it would take me all day to reply to them so I'll just put it like this, whatever you believe is the reason for his popularity or what will happen post-Mania the fact remains that there is no one out there right now that garners more reaction than Bryan does and that is why they are going with him in the main event, especially when their first choice gets more heat than the actual heel champion he is facing.

And Daniel Bryan taking out Triple H, Batista, and Randy Orton, all in the same evening to the utter delight of the fans, I think we are going to witness a truly epic moment in WWE history.

This.

I mean, does anybody realize that the main event of WrestleMania 30 is basically one guy -- a total underdog type, against Evolution?

Everyone loves an underdog story, and to cap off WM 30, it's perfect.

Over the past few weeks, a handful of haters have been coming out of the woodwork and slamming Daniel Bryan over everything from his height, his weight, his beard, etc. and that's all well and good. It's sort of become a right of passage for guys heading into the main event to be targeted for criticism by internet fans, so maybe this means Bryan has really made it.

As far as Bryan being an "all time great", of course he's not an all time great. He's 32 friggin' years old. Honestly, how many 32 year olds in professional wrestling can genuinely lay claim to being one of the "all time greats?" Randy Orton's only 33 and is a 12 time World Champion, yet there are still people debating as to whether or not he'll be viewed as an "all time great." To my knowledge, I've never heard anyone refer to Bryan as one of the "all time greats" in the business. He hasn't, I haven't heard fans call him that, the locker room doesn't. In 10 or 15 years down the road, MAYBE it'll be another story, but that's then.

Right now, Daniel Bryan is the most over wrestler on the WWE roster. Like it or not, that's just the way it is. Fans like him, they're interested in his feuds & storylines, they like watching him wrestle and he makes money for the company. As a result, from a purely realistic business point of view, Daniel Bryan does deserve a WrestleMania main event. I don't know if Bryan will be as over a year from now, but WWE striking while the iron's hot in order to get the most out of it they can is the logical thing to do.

Bryan's not a mega draw, nobody's laying claim that he is. Neither is John Cena, Batista, Randy Orton or anyone else in WWE right now. But to say that his segments don't draw for WWE television or that he doesn't sell tickets is not only inaccurate, it's a flat out lie. Last year during this same time period, Raw's average rating for the first 10 shows of the year was a 3.325. So far this year, the average rating is a 3.204. Considering that The Rock was the center of things last year and a brand new face is smack in the center of things this year, that's not too shabby. The numbers aren't out of this world but, then again, they weren't last year and The Rock is an "all time great", so what's the excuse for that?

Hate on Bryan all you like, but it doesn't change what the FACTS are as of right here and right now.

Over the past few weeks, a handful of haters have been coming out of the woodwork and slamming Daniel Bryan over everything from his height, his weight, his beard, etc. and that's all well and good. It's sort of become a right of passage for guys heading into the main event to be targeted for criticism by internet fans, so maybe this means Bryan has really made it.

As far as Bryan being an "all time great", of course he's not an all time great. He's 32 friggin' years old. Honestly, how many 32 year olds in professional wrestling can genuinely lay claim to being one of the "all time greats?" Randy Orton's only 33 and is a 12 time World Champion, yet there are still people debating as to whether or not he'll be viewed as an "all time great." To my knowledge, I've never heard anyone refer to Bryan as one of the "all time greats" in the business. He hasn't, I haven't heard fans call him that, the locker room doesn't. In 10 or 15 years down the road, MAYBE it'll be another story, but that's then.

Right now, Daniel Bryan is the most over wrestler on the WWE roster. Like it or not, that's just the way it is. Fans like him, they're interested in his feuds & storylines, they like watching him wrestle and he makes money for the company. As a result, from a purely realistic business point of view, Daniel Bryan does deserve a WrestleMania main event. I don't know if Bryan will be as over a year from now, but WWE striking while the iron's hot in order to get the most out of it they can is the logical thing to do.

Bryan's not a mega draw, nobody's laying claim that he is. Neither is John Cena, Batista, Randy Orton or anyone else in WWE right now. But to say that his segments don't draw for WWE television or that he doesn't sell tickets is not only inaccurate, it's a flat out lie. Last year during this same time period, Raw's average rating for the first 10 shows of the year was a 3.325. So far this year, the average rating is a 3.204. Considering that The Rock was the center of things last year and a brand new face is smack in the center of things this year, that's not too shabby. The numbers aren't out of this world but, then again, they weren't last year and The Rock is an "all time great", so what's the excuse for that?

Hate on Bryan all you like, but it doesn't change what the FACTS are as of right here and right now.

Randy Orton is big friends with HHH and the McMahon family, hence he got pushed to the moon from day 1 and is the current WWE World Heavyweight Champ until he loses it to either Batista or Daniel Bryan 3 weeks from this Sunday.

Dude, he's been over for 2 years. He gets a huge reaction. He's the most over guy on the roster. If he doesn't main event the crowd will shit on it. His chant has transcended wrestling and is now in other sports. If you think he's just a chant, then the Rock is just a bunch of catchphrases, Austin was only over because he drank beer and flipped the bird, and Hogan was only over because he won all the time. Daniel Bryan is the most over guy and the crowd wants him in the title match so much they will ruin the show by shitting on a title match not involving him. That's all you need to know. Oh, and he's really good in the ring.

And PLEASE stop looking at ratings. They don't measure at all as large of a piece of the pie as it once did. Also, ratings don't even mean the same thing. A 3.2 in today's world is pretty good given how many more options there are.

I agree DB doesn't deserve to be in the title match at Mania. In my opinion the Mania title match should be one on one, World Champ vs RR winner. Adding DB devalues the whole concept. DB is way over, no doubt about that and I'm ok with him wrestling HHH. He deserves and earned that right. It will be an awesome Mania match. However, he didn't win the RR so he doesn't have a right to be in the title match. Batista earned that right. I know a lot of people don't want to see that match but that's the way it is. I mean not everybody's favorite team goes to the Super Bowl or World Series. The teams that go earned the right. A losing team just can't advance because hey feel they were screwed by an official's decision. To me DB just looks like a whiner that didn't get his way so he forced the stipulation. If DB had won the RR then I would of been all for him going for the title at Mania, but since that didn't happen they should of stuck with Orton/Batista. Orton and Batista are capable of putting on a classic regardless of the crowd's reaction. Again, I'm not anti DB but I just don't like the way he's trying to get into the world title match. HHH should of agreed to the match but not the added stipulation.

I agree DB doesn't deserve to be in the title match at Mania. In my opinion the Mania title match should be one on one, World Champ vs RR winner. Adding DB devalues the whole concept. DB is way over, no doubt about that and I'm ok with him wrestling HHH. He deserves and earned that right. It will be an awesome Mania match. However, he didn't win the RR so he doesn't have a right to be in the title match. Batista earned that right. I know a lot of people don't want to see that match but that's the way it is. I mean not everybody's favorite team goes to the Super Bowl or World Series. The teams that go earned the right. A losing team just can't advance because hey feel they were screwed by an official's decision. To me DB just looks like a whiner that didn't get his way so he forced the stipulation. If DB had won the RR then I would of been all for him going for the title at Mania, but since that didn't happen they should of stuck with Orton/Batista. Orton and Batista are capable of putting on a classic regardless of the crowd's reaction. Again, I'm not anti DB but I just don't like the way he's trying to get into the world title match. HHH should of agreed to the match but not the added stipulation.
Actually no, they're not . Your job as a pro wrestler is to work the live crowd. If the live crowd shits on your match, it is NOT a classic. Plus, subjectively, Orton/Batista would be the drizzling shits regardless of crowd.

Also, don't compare this to the Super Bowl, this isn't a legit sport. Daniel Bryan could have been booked to win the Rumble but they did something less predictable. You don't earn your spot by winning the Rumble. You earn your spot by getting over and then the office books you in the title match. The longer this goes on, the longer it looks like this was the plan all along.

Wrestling is more like TV shows or a movie. Complaining that Daniel Bryan doesn't deserve it because he didn't win the Rumble is like complaining about a cop on a cop drama not using proper procedure.

What a completely ridiclous notion. "Hey he's not an all time great, he can't main event WM!"? How exactly did you have people main event WM in the past then? How do you think people become all time greats? By having big matches and feuds, and there is no bigger match than the main event of WM.

Also, you're delusional if you are still pulling that "it's the chant that's over not Bryan" card two years after he first hit it big with crowds. Ryback was the height of a chant being over ,as they would all chant FEED ME MORE with him, but they didn't pop for his entrance or cheer him, the wrestler, during the matches or pop for a finisher or anything. They didn't really have a connection to Ryback. Bryan, they very blatantly love the guy himself, the chant is a good gateway but they cheer everything he does and chant his name.

Also, Orton is devoid of heat, and while he is a gifted wrestler, he can't carry lesser workers. Batista was a below average wrestler during his prime, he's an awful wrestler now. A one on one match with them would not only be a terrible match, but would be despised by the crowd.

He's the best wrestler and most popular wrestler they have right now. That's who gets the mania main event! The best and most popular wrestlers at that given time! "Not an alltime great"? Who cares? Should they bring back Ric Flair and give him the main event because he's an "all time great"?

Bryan's going to win the title, and it will be great. Either get onboard, or you'll just stay mad!

This post is woefully misguided. Batista blows. He absolutely sucks at everything, has gotten lukewarm receptions since he came back, and is not an alltime great. He should be the one you have an issue with, being in the main event!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back