Daniel Bryan and RVD comparison

AnthonyM4

Getting Noticed By Management
With the way wwe isn't putting Daniel Bryan in main events despite the fact that he is the most over guy on the roster, does it remind anyone else of RVD in the early 2000s? Just like today with Daniel Bryan, people chant his name throughout the show, he is the most over guy on the roster, but since that wasn't supposed to happen they put him in the mid card. It was like this when RVD came in 2001. The crowd got behind and always chanted his name because he was unique, but because wwe didn't want that, they made him slow down his moves and stuck him in the mid card. Yes I know RVD eventually did win the wwe title in 2006 and it was his fault that they took it away, but IMO he should have been main eventing in 2001 and 2002 when he was way over much like Daniel Bryan today. Though maybe Bryan is more over now than RVD was back then. Oh and much like the IWC is mad that Daniel Bryan didn't win the Royal Rumble, I remember them being really mad when RVD lost a world title match to HHH at a ppv in 2002. Anyone else see the comparison?

WWE isn't any satanic organization trying to go against what the Internet Wrestling Community wants. WWE isn't holding down Daniel Bryan, if anything they are still building him up. Are you aware of the number of people talking about Daniel Bryan today? Everyone is talking about him not being in the Rumble, comparing him with other past stars, complaining and complaining and people prefer to complain than to to compliment WWE. If Daniel Bryan had won, you would have one thread for instance with people saying: "Great! Finally WWE sees it." and that was it.

Now you have BBC talking about Bryan not being in the Rumble despite his overness. You have Yahoo, Bleacher, etc every major sports outlet talking about it one way or another. It's creating the feeling that WWE is indeed mistreating the guy and yet pushing him even further and giving reasons for people to get behind him. Who in here has never been screwed in real life? Who in here has never had a bad month or a bad year in general because of others? It's a very real story, it has it's valid points but as of this moment, I'm 100% sure Vince McMahon loves Daniel Bryan and sees tons of money in him in the FUTURE.

If people hijack a WrestleMania event for one star and one star only, what do you think the media will talk about? That's right... Daniel Bryan. This is brilliant and WWE keeps creating sparks to generate hate for the "system". Daniel Bryan is protected booking wise, maybe not more than Cena but that is understandable as Cena alone makes for 20% of the revenue of that company (a number that not even Austin/Hogan had). But he is getting a lot of television time for him or his opponents to create buzz for the event, he's been giving great performances for the fans and as much as kayfabe wise WWE puts him down, the more people will cheer for him. At this point it's already inevitable to see Daniel Bryan with a WWE Championship reign, even if it is for a month only - but this is also a proof that the chase is better than the reign. Daniel Bryan could very well win the title in one month period, or win it after WrestleMania.

I don't care and you shouldn't either. Keep supporting him and respect other people's work. John Cena and Randy Orton have been in the WWE for over 10 years, putting everything on the line every week with main event matches four times a week on house-shows and five if they have a PPV. It's not Cena and Orton who are putting down Bryan, nor is Batista... It's the "system" and that is what WWE wants you to believe and if you believe it, more quickly does WWE pull the trigger.

From memory I seem to remember RVD being regarded well with fans and the IWC. However I never remember it being on this scale.

I never remember there ever being a mass outrage about RVD not being champion or winning the Rumble. He was never so over that most people simply assumed it was a given.

Not to hate on RVD, I was always a fan, but he was never ever so over to get such a massive response from the IWC, fellow professional wrestlers and the Pro Wrestling community as a whole.

Fantastic post by the way Silverback.

WWE isn't any satanic organization trying to go against what the Internet Wrestling Community wants. WWE isn't holding down Daniel Bryan, if anything they are still building him up. Are you aware of the number of people talking about Daniel Bryan today? Everyone is talking about him not being in the Rumble, comparing him with other past stars, complaining and complaining and people prefer to complain than to to compliment WWE. If Daniel Bryan had won, you would have one thread for instance with people saying: "Great! Finally WWE sees it." and that was it.

Can we stop giving WWE so much damn credit? They've proven time and time again over the past decade that they just don't get it. So long as Vince doesn't have competition to force his hand, he's just going to keep force-feeding us his vision. It's only under the most dire circumstances that we even got Steve Austin and The Rock.

What you're suggesting here is that the WWE is refusing to give the fans what they want because they'd rather them talk about it than enjoy it. I guess it's the old adage that there's no such thing as bad press, but in going this route, the WWE is taking a very serious risk of alienating the few fans they have left. I've been a wrestling fan since I was 5 years old, and at this point, I'm admittedly only watching because I can't take my eyes off a good train wreck. I'm entertained to see how easily they fumble their opportunities and the crowd's reaction to it. I can't wait for Raw tonight. You know why? Because I want to see the crowd hi-jack the show. I want to see them get so loud in support of Daniel Bryan that no one with a mic can be heard and no one in the ring can concentrate.

You think that's really good for business? I don't. I don't think it's a good business plan when people are so distracted by one guy that everyone else on the roster is essentially ignored by extension. I don't think it's good for business when former fans might hear about Daniel Bryan, tune in to see what the buzz is about, and then be force-fed the same Cena/Orton and Batista/Orton programs that caused them to turn off the TV in the first place.

The WWE has a chance to grow their business by pulling the trigger on Daniel Bryan. They have an opportunity to take advantage of this word-of-mouth buzz that Bryan is receiving and to give returning former fans something different... something that will keep them watching. The only way to do that is to give him the title. It doesn't have to be a long run at all - maybe 3 months - but it has to give us the hope that our guy actually has a chance of overcoming the odds - both the real ones and the ones written into the story...

Think about this like a football game. Your team falls behind 28-0 in the first quarter. Some of the audience turns the game off at that point, but there are still a lot of people watching. This is the WWE in 2004-05.

By halftime, your team trails 35-0, and wouldn't you know it, only the diehards are still watching at this point.... This is the WWE around 2007.

Your team gets the ball to start the 2nd half, and they return the opening kick for a touchdown. It's 35-7. Then they recover an onside and score on the very next play. It's 35-14. Now people start to buzz. They call their friends who turned off the game and tell them they need to watch again - the game's getting good. So they do. And what's the first thing they see? The other team returning the ensuing kickoff for a touchdown. 42-14. And off goes the game again.

That's where WWE is right now ... people got tired of the same feuds over and over again, and they turned off the TV... then, when the WWE gave us the tiniest shred of hope to tune back in, they went right back to giving us the same shit that caused people to turn off the TVs in the first place. If this is the plan, then I don't see how the audience ever grows from it.

From memory I seem to remember RVD being regarded well with fans and the IWC. However I never remember it being on this scale.

I never remember there ever being a mass outrage about RVD not being champion or winning the Rumble. He was never so over that most people simply assumed it was a given.

Not to hate on RVD, I was always a fan, but he was never ever so over to get such a massive response from the IWC, fellow professional wrestlers and the Pro Wrestling community as a whole.

Fantastic post by the way Silverback.

It was unforgiven 2002. RVD vs Triple H was for the world title and it ended with HHH winning again, but most people wanted RVD to win because he was supper over at the time and he needed it more. I remember a lot of people on the internet bitching about it. After that RVD was in the midcard for a few years before he was given the title and by then it wasn't as special(well kind of since he won it in front of ecw fans).

I'm afraid wwe will give Daniel Bryan the title when it's too late and nobody will care. WWE doesn't strike when the iron is hot. That's been their problem for a long time. Pretty much after buying their main competition.

You may be right though when you say RVD wasn't as hot then as Daniel Bryan is now.

RVD was big with the fans but he pales in comparison when it comes to how over Bryan is right now. Bryan seems like he's a better all around wrestler that Rob was, so I think that's gonna play a huge roll in the end. Plus DB is a much bigger company guy, the WWE isn't gonna have to worry about him going out and getting busted for pot. I give the edge to Bryan on the mic, but that's not really saying anything as Bryan needs to work on his mic skills. It's a fair comparison I suppose.

On a side note, RVD only won that belt because if they didn't drop it to him at One Night Stand the fans would have literally rioted and hurt someone. Just look at the finish, they couldn't even let RVD win it clean. Very disappointing match. Very disappointing title run. Very disappointing talent.

I'm not really seeing the comparison between them. They both happen to be guys who don't fit the general mold for being "the face" of WWE, but that's about it. Based simply on the various reports I've read over the years behind the scenes, the two of them couldn't be more different. Bryan has a reputation of being very easy going, likeable, very hard working and near fanatically professional. RVD is someone that's had a history of being a major mark for himself, not putting in as much effort as he should sometimes and a documented history of drug use. When WWE finally did give RVD a run at the main event by being both ECW & WWE Champion simultaneously, he gets arrested for possession of drugs & drug paraphernalia while he's champion.

When it comes to Daniel Bryan, he's over in a way that RVD has never come close to outside of ECW. Like many others, I have a great deal of difficulty believing that WWE management is ignoring Daniel Bryan's popularity. I know that WWE does sometimes get accused of ignoring fan interest and, the vast majority of the time, I think it's just whining from those disappointed that their personal favorites aren't being used the way they feel they should be. However, this would be one of those very few instances in which there's a credible argument to be made if Bryan doesn't receive a huge push. I honestly can't recall the last time, or really ever, that anyone with popularity on the level Bryan is enjoying with fans hasn't gotten a major main event push.

I remember RVD being popular but it was no different when Jericho as a face feuded with HHH.

Bryan's popularity is a whole different level. I'm so amazed WWE hasn't took advantage of the main stream exposure Bryan's getting.

Kind of, but on a much larger scale (and forgive me as I'm going to also address some of the other things being said in the comments here that go beyond the RVD comparison, although I believe it's all linked). I think the current reaction to Daniel Bryan is partially the result of an accumulation of anger and frustration among fans that the RVD situation certainly would have helped contribute to. Like Daniel Bryan, he was another fan favorite seemingly held back for political reasons, and in that sense was a smaller scale symptom of the same problem. Basically, every time a star chosen by the fans was seemingly held back, it just added more fuel to the fire. And now, it's burning out of control. It's symptomatic of a much greater rift between the WWE and it's core audience. Daniel Bryan has become a symbol for what's essentially a captive audience of wrestling fans who are sick of the WWE's brand of entertainment, or at least certain aspects of it, who have been left with no viable alternatives to it.

The WWE has been taking it's diehard fans for granted for some time now, pushing both wrestlers and content down our throats that we obviously have no interest in seeing (like, for example, commercials on a 60 dollar pay per views. Instructions on how to download apps. Kiss cams. Guest general mangers. Twitter updates. Pizza ordering tutorials. Alberto Del Rio. The list goes on and on and on.... :banghead:). We've always been told that there's an audience for this content out there, somewhere, yet they certainly haven't been buying tickets to shows (or they aren't very vocal when they do). The WWE has been trying to attract this audience for some time now, and unfortunately what this new audience seems to like is considered garbage by the existing one. And what the current audience wants to see (in this case, Daniel Bryan main eventing Wrestlemania) is denied to them on the basic of what these other fans supposedly want to see. As a result of this conflict, the frustration of older fans has reached a boiling point, and the WWE is going to have to deal with it sooner or later. Particularly now that they are trying to gain subscriptions for the WWE network, and trying to attract advertisers to it with higher ratings.

Which is the main reason why I don't believe this is all just a part of some elaborate plan (in reference to Silverbacks post). It's a massive gamble at a time when the WWE is hoping to look favorable to advertisers and investors. Fans booing your shows out of the building isn't going to look all that attractive to companies considering advertising on the WWE network. It's not going to look all that attractive to fans considering subscribing to the WWE network either. I, for one, have no interest in giving money to see more from a company that usually disappoints me. And I am not bothering watching RAW tonight, as I have access to plenty of entertainment options that won't leave me annoyed and disgusted. I might tune in again for Wrestlemania, but it's not looking likely. I had actually given up watching WWE for some time, until I happened to catch the massive face reaction to Daniel Bryan/Bray Wyatt a few weeks ago (my wife still watched it, and she left the tv on). That made me decide to check out last weeks shows and the Rumble, and boy is that a decision I regret now.

The other reason I don't believe this is all an elaborate story to build up DB for Wrestlemania is because I have no confidence in the WWE to tell such a story. The WWE hasn't really done a thing in the past decade to convince me that it's:
A. in touch with what it's audience wants to see (example: assuming that the Total Divas would be cheered over AJ Lee),
B. Able to keep a secret worth a damn (example: We knew Cena would be feuding with Bray Wyatt by Wrestlemania months ago), or
C: Capable of creating such an elaborate story that so effectively draws the proper reaction from the crowd (the WWE tends to lean more towards stories about the Big Show's inability to get it up, and HHH buying his house).

If this is actually a part of a plan, it's quite frankly one of unprecedented complexity and sophistication for the WWE, and one that, again, carries tremendous (and seemingly unnecessary) risks. I'm not giving the WWE the benefit of the doubt on this one, because they haven't earned it. Even if DB ends up in the main event at Wrestlemania, at this point it's just damage control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back