Dana: Friends Will Have To Fight Each Other If They Want A Title Shot

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
Last night at the press conference, Jon Fitch and Dana White sort of got into it.

[YOUTUBE]SLxT-pXz_MY[/YOUTUBE]

To sum up: Fitch said he was 4-0 in his last four fights, and 12-1 overall in the UFC, with his only loss coming to GSP. He said he thinks he's a better fighter than he was from the last time he fought GSP and he wants another title shot.

Dana then asked Fitch how he'd feel about going through Koscheck in order to get that title shot. Fitch was clearly uncomfortable with that. Dana remarked that Fitch didn't want the title shot THAT badly. Fitch then said that if that fight were to happen, it would take place behind closed doors at their gym. Dana then sarcastically said, "Yeah, that would make a lot of money."

Following the press conference, Dana gave an interview where he basically said that the winner of Koscheck vs. Daley would fight Fitch, and the winner of that would get a title shot against GSP. Dana said that if Koscheck won, he'd have to fight Fitch.

Dana then said that the whole "We don't want to fight each other because we're friends thing is over." He also basically said that something has to give when two top guys in a division won't fight each other due to friendship.

I 100% agree with Dana. The goal of every fighter should be to work their way to winning the title. A fighter should take on all comers in order to work towards their goal, even if it's a friend. Fitch/Koscheck is a fight I would love to see, and they should have to fight each other when they're two of the top five Welterweights.

The same thing goes with Ed Soares saying that Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida, despite being two of the best fighters on the planet, would never fight each other due to friendship. The UFC has a lot of fights they can tap into that they can't do because people who train in the same camp won't fight each other. What's going to happen if/when Jon Jones becomes Light Heavyweight Champion? Is Rashad really going to patiently wait for his turn? I doubt it.

Most of the fighters in the UFC seem to have a mutual respect for each other. I'm sure they're all friendly acquaintances, but when it comes time to fight, when you're trying to jockey for position to be the best in the world, you have to put your friendship behind you and try to win. After the fight, they go back to being on the same terms they were on before. Why can't there be friendly competition between two fighters?

I'm glad that Dana is trying to put an end to this. If a guy wants a title shot, he needs to separate himself from everyone and really prove that he deserves to be champion. If you have to go through a friend, then so be it. There's nothing that says people can't be friends once the fight is over. If Koscheck does beat Daley, and Fitch and Koscheck refuse to fight to determine the #1 contender, then Dana should just skip over them both. Hopefully he becomes more proactive in getting fights set up regardless if people train with each other or not.

I read about this argument and can honestly see both sides of the issue. On one hand why the fuck would you want to fight your teammate and friend? That could end very badly for all involved including the AKA team. But on the flip side if you truly want to be a champion then you should have no problem fighting your own teammate. I am positive Koscheck would take the fight but Jon Fitch is a stand up guy who doesn't want to make any waves within his camp.

I don't think anything will come of this unless either Kos or Fitch leaves AKA. If that happens then this fight might take place but until then there is no way this fight goes down. There are enough guys in the WW division that there is no need for them to fight each other unless it is for a belt. I also think this may just be Dana trying to start shit within the AKA team, a team that he is not very friendly with. He got shitty with the entire team last year when Fitch wouldn't give up the license to his name for the UFC game. Dana pretty much said he was going to black ball the entire camp until Fitch and Dana resolved the issue and I really think this is Dana just trying to start shit up again.

I too understand both sides, but at the same time... you take these up-and-comers who don't get paid jackshit, it doesn't matter how close they are... they will fight each other for either a paycheck or a shot to make it to the big time. But, it's like when these fighters get a little bit of a name for themselves, they lose that fire, and I can see why that bothers Dana and the UFC.

The fact of the matter is that it's Dana White's job is to give the UFC fans the best fights imaginable, and if you don't want to fight your friends, then simply leave the UFC and go to a company where none of your friends or teammates fight. Simple as that. Otherwise, fight who's offered to you, because you're getting paid more than 90% of the fighters not in the UFC, and you should want to grant the fans the fights they want to see.

Also, as far as Fitch's claim that he deserves a title shot... I call bullshit on that one. Since defeating GSP he's 4-0, with all four of those win being lay 'n pray victories, and only one of them against an elite fighter (Paulo Thiago). To me, that is not deserving of a title shot. He does need another win against a top fighter, and the fact is... that top fighter just might be Josh Koscheck. If Fitch would be able to lay 'n pray Koscheck, then and only then would I say he deserves a title shot. Daley, I wouldn't be too impressed by... but Kos? That wouldn't be no easy task, and I think besides the "friend" deal, that's another reason why Fitch might be avoiding a fight with Koscheck.

I too understand both sides, but at the same time... you take these up-and-comers who don't get paid jackshit, it doesn't matter how close they are... they will fight each other for either a paycheck or a shot to make it to the big time. But, it's like when these fighters get a little bit of a name for themselves, they lose that fire, and I can see why that bothers Dana and the UFC.

The fact of the matter is that it's Dana White's job is to give the UFC fans the best fights imaginable, and if you don't want to fight your friends, then simply leave the UFC and go to a company where none of your friends or teammates fight. Simple as that. Otherwise, fight who's offered to you, because you're getting paid more than 90% of the fighters not in the UFC, and you should want to grant the fans the fights they want to see.

Also, as far as Fitch's claim that he deserves a title shot... I call bullshit on that one. Since defeating GSP he's 4-0, with all four of those win being lay 'n pray victories, and only one of them against an elite fighter (Paulo Thiago). To me, that is not deserving of a title shot. He does need another win against a top fighter, and the fact is... that top fighter just might be Josh Koscheck. If Fitch would be able to lay 'n pray Koscheck, then and only then would I say he deserves a title shot. Daley, I wouldn't be too impressed by... but Kos? That wouldn't be no easy task, and I think besides the "friend" deal, that's another reason why Fitch might be avoiding a fight with Koscheck.

I don't know man, I think your being a little critical and making it seem as though Fitch is scarred of fighting Kos. I don't think he is scarred of Kos in the least, I just think he is very devoted to his team. Would you say Anderson Silva is avoiding a fight with Lyoto Machida because he is worried about losing? I would be a little shocked if you did. I don't think Fitch would have any problem fighting Kos if either of them left AKA, but I do think he is concerned with keeping the peace within that camp.

I completely agree with the rest of your comments though. These fighters reach the UFC and suddenly they don't have that killer attitude that they had on the smaller circuits. They don't want to fight their teammates anymore even though when they were up and coming they would fight anyone including their mother. I think Dana is right about friends fighting friends because honestly some of the most interesting fights yet to happen are between friends. Silva/Machida anyone?

Now I get that these two train together and are good friends, but I have too agree with Dana. In a sport like MMA, sometimes the road to the top includes you to go through your friends. If you want a title shot that bad, you have to take the fight. I'm sure Koscheck would...

I really don't think Dana is trying to start shit in AKA. Both Kos and Fitch are top welterweights in the game. Either one of them are just one more victory to a title shot with GSP. They just need one more chance to prove they deserve it and that has to be against eachother.

The main problem I see with it, is that you would kind of have to divide your camp up in half and make everyone take sides. Plus their could be lingering resentment after the fight was over, especially if there is an accidental eyepoke or lowblow. This kind of thing can mess up the unity of the whole team.

All that being said, I still think that when the situation warrants it, the member of the same team should fight. It will draw more money, and shows who really is the best inside your team, and who most deserves the title shot. After the fight is over with hopefully mutual respect will make things work out again.

Plus, I think it's hard to market Fitch because he never finishes anyone. People might pay to see him fight his teammate.

I read about this argument and can honestly see both sides of the issue. On one hand why the fuck would you want to fight your teammate and friend? That could end very badly for all involved including the AKA team. But on the flip side if you truly want to be a champion then you should have no problem fighting your own teammate. I am positive Koscheck would take the fight but Jon Fitch is a stand up guy who doesn't want to make any waves within his camp.

I don't think anything will come of this unless either Kos or Fitch leaves AKA. If that happens then this fight might take place but until then there is no way this fight goes down. There are enough guys in the WW division that there is no need for them to fight each other unless it is for a belt. I also think this may just be Dana trying to start shit within the AKA team, a team that he is not very friendly with. He got shitty with the entire team last year when Fitch wouldn't give up the license to his name for the UFC game. Dana pretty much said he was going to black ball the entire camp until Fitch and Dana resolved the issue and I really think this is Dana just trying to start shit up again.

I personally think the whole not fighting a friend is bullshit i mean how many great fights are we missing because friends won't fight each other it's just bad for business and Dana is sick of it and i agree. I mean if you want to be the champion you are gonna have to get your hands dirty and if your not willing to fight a friend to get a championship then you don't really want it that bad and if losing a fight to a friend makes it so you guys aren't friends anymore then you weren't that good of friends to begin with. I think if you aren't willing to fight a friend for the championship then you lose your shot and you have to earn your way back. I mean me and IndyJon are friends but if it was for the welterweight championship then i would fight him it doesn't mean we aren't friends but it's just business it's not like it's personal so i think that not fighting a friend should be over.

I am not disagreeing with anyone on the fact that friends should fight friends. We saw Rashad Evans and Keith Jardine do it. The fact of the matter is if you want to be the best then you should have absolutely no problem fighting your buddy to do so.

My problem is that it seems as though people are coming to the conclusion that Jon Fitch is afraid to fight Josh Koscheck because he is a good fight as well. I don't believe this to be the case at all. Like I said I think he is just trying to be nice. Just look at how Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida refuse to fight each other. Is Silva dodging Machida? No, I am positive Anderson Silva could give Machida a great fight just like Kos and Fitch could be a great fight. In no way is Fitch dodging Kos because he is worried about him being a better fighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back