Criticizing the Best: John Cena

#hamler

That's all folks.
PART FIVE of my "Criticizing the Best" series. No matter how perfect the said Superstar is, criticize him. Now's your chance. Feel free to rip posts apart piece by piece.I want a dicussion here. Please, explain your answer and don't Spam. This thread, you have a chance to criticize a superstar you people love to criticize and hate on...

john_cena.jpg

John Cena

John Cena has had numerous accomplishments already in his short time in the WWE. PWI awarded him PWI Feud of the Year in 2006, Match of the Year 2007, Wrestling of the Year 2006 and 2007, and most popular of the Year 2004, 2005, 2007. John Cena has held the WWE Championship 7 times, World Championship 2 times and won the Royal Rumble in 2008. The Wrestling Observer News letter awarded him the Most Charismatic Wrestler of the Decade. John Cena has had numerous accomplishments in his wrestling career.

John Cena is one of the greatest wrestlers of the current era. Some people, including me, go so far as to saying he could quite possibly be the total package when it comes to wrestling. His mic skills are ellite and some of the best baby face mic skills currently in the WWE. John Cena puts in work. He's very loyal and that alone shows how much respect he shows to us and the WWE. John Cena has a fantastic build and great look. John Cena also has a lot of drawing power. No matter if he's drawing in little girls and boys, or women, he has the power to draw in huge doses of fans.

John has participated in numerous Wrestlemania main events. Main Events that include Wrestlemania 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 and probably 27. If John Cena isn't controlling the main event or holding a WWE Championship, he spends his time doing charitable work and helping others. We, as fans, have no choice but to respect the hell out of Cena. He's certainly a good role model. Can Cena really be seen a the total package? I've yet to find a major flaw in Cena but no one is flawless, even Superman. Which leads me to the discussion questions;

What is one flaw you see in John Cena?

Would fixing this flaw make John Cena any better than he already is?

If you see no flaw in John Cena, state why. And please don't fuck up my thread with spam. Explain. Feel free to rip posts apart piece by piece, I want a discussion here.

Discuss this shit.

----------------------------------
If anyone has any ideas for a thread like this, PM me.

I am a big fan of John Cena. The man is a hard worker and has dedication to the business. He has a positive attitude about things and doesn't let success get to him. The flaw I see in John Cena is still being face. He should've turned face since him being in Nexus. He is starting to fade a little bit as a face and TBH, the whole SuperCena gimmick is a joke. He used to be a rebel but now he's a hall monitor! This flaw could change him to make him even better by giving Cena that edge he had to him when he was heel. Thats all I can say about Cena I guess.

John Cena is the hulk hogan of this age but i love to rip on him alot so here we go. For one HE NEEDS TO TURN HEEL! hes been the same bland super hero guy in the wwe and has had numerous chances to go heel ( ala. bret vs vince , nexus ). He also needs to use more move 5 moves mainly 1. Flying shoulder block, 2. Sitout hip toss or multiple clotheslines, 3. Side release spinout slam, 4. Five Knuckle Shuffle, 5 Attitude adjustment or STF. And finally what has recently bugged me is the free or fired story HE GOT FIRED HE SHOULDNT COME BACK THE NEXT NIGHT AND THEN 2 WEEKS LATER HES HIRED AGAIN honestly the wwe screwed the story up he should have taken at least a month or 2 off then come back for revenge.

let me start off by saying i cant stand cena but im not here to rip him completely apart. i agree he is a good role model and he does respect the buisness and he is a good worker. the thing is he's a a crappy wrestler. it might not be completey his fault but still. when he first came to the wwe and had that ruthless aggression gimick was when i really liked cena. his debut match against kurt angle is probably his best looking match. he also had a bigger reputar. although i do think its tme for cena to change who he is. hes been the same guy for 6 or 7 years. i think wwe should fianlly turn cena heel and just roll with it.

I stopped reading after i read 'Match of the year'. :lmao:

The guy is completely lame and obviously geared towards kids and *****es. But apart from that i dont have anything against him.

How could you hate a guy that takes time out to meet disabled children.

And oh yeah, he couldnt wrestle to save his life.

The problem I have with Cena is his superhero comebacks. I know every superface does the impossible and wins from out nowhere (The Rock, Stonecold, Bret Hart, HBK, Orton ect have all done it) But my problem is Cena never even looks tired after, it's like he's just started the match when he comes back with the AA or the FU get the win, and starts to celebrate - he doesn't look at all beaten down, tired or hurt. I don't mind the amazing win, i know it has to happen, but at least sell it that he's been beaten up for 25 minutes and just managed to win!

John Cena is a good story teller. His gimmick is of an average wrestler who despite of all odds stacked against him doesn't give up, wrestles as per his strengths, and tries his best to earn everyone's respect with whatever he is capable of doing. In short, his gimmick is of a role model, somebody who with all his limitations battles the odds and even with the last gasp of energy fights back. And i guess, it is this gimmick which doesn't allows him to turn his back on audience and become a bad guy. His mike skills, intensity in the ring, and ability to produce the drama that sucks you in his matches are second to none in WWE as of now. His chemistry with most superstars has been good.

However, i feel that he can work on evolving into a character who is perceived to have good amount of respect among his peers. Since he is one of the more experienced superstar in the rooster now, its important that he should be perceived as somebody who has the locker room respect, which can propel him into another level of stardom. I miss his freestyle raps, and believe that making a rap promo every now and then won't hurt either:).

I am sort of a fan of John Cena. I enjoy watching him on television. I enjoy his mic skills and watching his facial expressions when someone is "threatening" him...watching him laugh at whoever says they are gonna beat him down is hilarious. I also respect the hell out of John Cena...How can anybody not respect a man that spends his spare time giving to charities?
If I had to pick a flaw with Cena...I'd have to go with what several others have said....Turn Cena heel. He's been "supercena" for so long...it is getting kinda boring...I'd like to see Cena the one giving others drama instead of the other way around.

I've got to admit the only flaws I see in Cena aren't due to him, they are usually due McMahon and co. Such as we all hate the fact he got fired and showed up every week thereafter. Some of us also hate the fact that he's still a face, not down to him though is it? Some of us hate his moveset, but the Creative limit it to add effect on every move he does... eventhough we know he can wrestle atleast 100x better if allowed to do anything he wants?

None of his main faults are down to him, they are down to the way WWE pushed him into our over-zealous wrestling faces...

His wrestling skills are limited and his Superman stint at SS 2010 pissed me off but overall hes a good person,amazing entertainer,and he works to be better in the ring and in life.One of the best superstars to ever step in that ring

I don't know. i think he is actually good in the ring, or at least above-average. He really doesn't have that limited a repertoire as a superstar of his caliber usually does have. He is insanely charismatic, a good performer, has good psychology and storytelling. I think my main problem with him is he sometimes is awfully corny and generic with his promos. He also needs to sell better. The first night nexus beat him down he was carried out on a stretcher, but he came to raw next week anyway and only had a slight limp. but i guess that isn't his fault since creative made him do that...but apart from that I think he's very talented and is one of the best, ever.

What's wrong with Cena is.. he's Cena. This generations Hogan. I'd give the same response on what's wrong with hogan. Protip: He's hogan.

His matches, his character/gimmick, mic skills, etc., nothing of it appeals to me. At all. His previous character of a "rapper" when he was in the mid-card sucked. His current top face of WWE sucks. Him going heel would suck.

:)

I'm not a massive Cena fan because I find it hard to relate to his character and the 'do the right thing' or hustle, loyalty, respect is definitely aimed at naive kids. I think some adults do struggle with that because they're more clued up about the world and goody-two shoes characters don't seem genuine to them. That being said, I accept that not every character is going to be aimed at my demographic and Cena has worked his ass off to get to the spot where he's at, clearly loves his job and clearly has respect for the fans so all credit to him. And that's what he's been given from creative too so even if I don't like it, I can't really criticise HIM for it.

So, while I'm not going to go '5 moves of doom' or 'he can't wrestle' like I think some people might post here I'm going to take a little thing that annoys me. He uses humour at inappropriate times. Mostly bad humour at that. Sometimes he needs to tone that down and keep a more serious tone. The most recent example would be him saying "Heyyyyyyyyyyy" like he was on a broadway show before attacking David Otunga. Situations like that call for a more serious tone to sell the moment and it's not like Cena's unable to do that because some of his more serious promos are good.

He does his best, he's good on the mic and can be entertaining at times. But that's where it stops.

He can't wrestle, I'm a firm believer that if you can't wrestle you shouldn't be a multiple time world champion.

He's corny, the five knuckle shuffle is by far the worst move in history. The Boom Drop, Ballin', People's Elbow, they all are gimmicky, but he doesn't even do a fist drop.........watch ted dibiase Sr or Jr, that's how you execute.

His move arsenal is a combination of the worst in history.......fameasser (Billy Gunn), shoulder blocks (Ult. Warrior), pimp drop (The Godfather), spinebuster, and the worst fisherman's suplex in history.

He has the worst in-ring timing I've ever seen. He's essentially the Ultimate Warrior without face paint.

And his theme song is so annoying, it needs to be changed. I think R-Truths Get Crunk (or whatever) was better and that sucked.

And he's worn out his face welcome, he was a good heel, sucks as a face.

Yes it is true that Cena has the charisma,the look and perhaps the connection with the fans that make you the top guy,like Ted Dibiase said at the HOF it's not always the best worker in the ring but the most reliable that sets you apart imo he was referring to Cena.I'm not a Cena fanatic but i do under stand why he is the face of the company.No one is perfect,like someone mentioned Cena is the Hogan of this generation and eventually the kids will grow and the gimmick will become stale.

For starters all the pepole that say Cena cant wrestle I say Bull Shit. Watch his earlier matches especally his first one with Kurt Angle. Granted I dont know where those moves has gone but they were there at one point. Then all the talk to turn Cena heel might sound good in theroy but when you turn him all the $ Vince will loose from endorcements would hurt so you go turn cena face again and you are taking a chance that he might not be over as well as he was. Also turn him heel everyone will bitch that he is a bad heel so you turn him back to face and pepole bitch that he sucks as a face. The man is hated on constinly he cant win for loosing. Cena is by far not the best and defeinately has flaws but put him on a mic there are very few pepole who can be better on a mic especally in the shitty pg era. It is ok to hate on cena but in my personal opion they hate him for the wrong reasons. IDK it was just something i needed to get off my chest I know probibly alot of pepole disagree with me but oh well.

The only, and I mean only criticism I have of John Cena is that he's not a great athlete. He may be built like a tank, tell a great story in the ring, and pace a match as well as anyone there is, but graceful he is not. His execution of the dropkick is something that should be put away, and never, ever be seen again. He just doesn't have the athletic prowess and physical tools to pull moves like that off the way a Randy Orton, Edge, or a Christian does. It's not his fault, he just wasn't born with the physical gifts.

But its hard for me to criticize anything else about the man. He's the best face the company has ever had, I would argue. Whether serious or comical, his promos seem real and second to none. His in-ring work is the definition of "great psychology" and "storytelling." He's had the same music since 2005, but it works for him. Every time his music hits, something big is about to go down. He makes a top of the first hour match on Raw feel like a PPV main event match. And his contributions outside of the WWE go without mentioning.

So Cena may not be the most gifted athlete in the world, but he gets by with what he has. And the combination of hard work, charisma, mic skills, and understanding of ring psychology have made him the best performer in WWE, despite his lack of physical tools.

His character has never struck a chord with me to be honest. All that talk of facing insurmountable challenges rings hollow in my ears because the only guy who faces insurmountable challenges is his opponent. He has just won too many matches and I cannot sympathise with him. Right now tell me why should I feel for him and not Barrett going into their match at TLC. He got his job back and really was never facing any difficulty when he had lost it either. He could walk into the building at will and even got his entrance music when he entered. He won two awards at the Slammy awards last night and has so far proved to be a guy who can single handedly take a stable down. He has been making Nexus' life hell, all alone. So there is no threat that Barrett will actually win the match. The way Cena is booked is the reason why I am not emotionally invested in him.

Really the only way to rectify this flaw would be to book him in a more human manner.

PART FIVE of my "Criticizing the Best" series. No matter how perfect the said Superstar is, criticize him. Now's your chance. Feel free to rip posts apart piece by piece.I want a dicussion here. Please, explain your answer and don't Spam. This thread, you have a chance to criticize a superstar you people love to criticize and hate on...

john_cena.jpg

John Cena

John Cena has had numerous accomplishments already in his short time in the WWE. PWI awarded him PWI Feud of the Year in 2006, Match of the Year 2007, Wrestling of the Year 2006 and 2007, and most popular of the Year 2004, 2005, 2007. John Cena has held the WWE Championship 7 times, World Championship 2 times and won the Royal Rumble in 2008. The Wrestling Observer News letter awarded him the Most Charismatic Wrestler of the Decade. John Cena has had numerous accomplishments in his wrestling career.

John Cena is one of the greatest wrestlers of the current era. Some people, including me, go so far as to saying he could quite possibly be the total package when it comes to wrestling. His mic skills are ellite and some of the best baby face mic skills currently in the WWE. John Cena puts in work. He's very loyal and that alone shows how much respect he shows to us and the WWE. John Cena has a fantastic build and great look. John Cena also has a lot of drawing power. No matter if he's drawing in little girls and boys, or women, he has the power to draw in huge doses of fans.

John has participated in numerous Wrestlemania main events. Main Events that include Wrestlemania 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 and probably 27. If John Cena isn't controlling the main event or holding a WWE Championship, he spends his time doing charitable work and helping others. We, as fans, have no choice but to respect the hell out of Cena. He's certainly a good role model. Can Cena really be seen a the total package? I've yet to find a major flaw in Cena but no one is flawless, even Superman. Which leads me to the discussion questions;

If you see no flaw in John Cena, state why. And please don't fuck up my thread with spam. Explain. Feel free to rip posts apart piece by piece, I want a discussion here.

Discuss this shit.

----------------------------------
If anyone has any ideas for a thread like this, PM me.
Cena is the luckiest dumbshit there ever was...he must had laid an egg in vince mcmahon's earlobe because he is the furthest from a contributing member to any good storyline. he is not innovative, not charismatic, hes fugly, no realism, no believability, not mic skills, and is a terrible actor on top of that...

based on the the latest ppv, he proved that cena + props do not go together...oh nevermind...we learned that in the last man standing match with batista...

I think tht he is a little bit boring to watch at moment because he continues to do all of the same stuff over and over again. The storyline of him getting fired was absolutley ridicoulous. Seeing him in every main event is also very stale.

I think it would. I would also like to see cena do something evil to.

To stay on topic, I would simply say his repetitiveness. But, that works in his favor also. While to a lot of people, his repetitiveness makes them hate Cena and criticize his moves and what not. But it actually works in his favor to the kids. Because it is something they can identify with, when he hits the 5 Knuckle Shuffle, or Attitude Adjustment, kids love it and have been waiting for it the whole time.

Though there are arguments to be made on both sides of the coin, on this question. I will say that is my problem or "criticism" with him, is his repetitiveness. I think it would make him better, or at least easier for him to be liked by a guy like me.

I've never met him personally, but from his interviews I've seen, with all the charity work he dose, and because he is very loyal, I respect the guy very much so. They are the only things I like about him.

His character dose not appeal to me in the least, and I don't like his promos(not so much his promo telling, but what he is scripted to say) also his t-shirts could blind a man. These 3 things are not at all the man's fault, but they annoy me. Cena personally can not change these things, it's up to Vince. Not saying he should because he draws with his curent charater.

The only thing Cena can change about himself to improve himself IMO, is expanding his move set, learning to sell, and by adding pressure to his STFs they look awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back