'Cowboy' James Storm: What About Him?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
My thread I started about discussing Robert Roode and his potential to be a main eventer in TNA got me thinking a little about his partner James Storm.

Like Roode, Storm's success in TNA has revolved entirely around being a tag team wrestler. First, he was part of America's Most Wanted with Wildcat Chris Harris. From September 18, 2002 through October 11, 2005, AMA won the NWA World Tag Team Championship 6 times. During the same time frame, Storm won the titles once while teaming with Christopher Daniels. Roughly 3 years later, Storm & Roode form Beer Money, Inc. becoming 4 time & current TNA World Tag Team Champions.

Beer Money has been one of the few factors over the course of the past few years that I've really enjoyed in TNA. But, in my view, Beer Money is starting to get a little stale. There's nothing else for them to do and no one left for them to beat so where does that leave James Storm?

If you look back over the course of Storm's 13-14 year career, all of his major accomplishments whether it be in TNA or wherever have revolved around tag team wrestling. While I do like Storm, I don't think he's as good as Roode in any respect. Roode's got the better look, he's the better athlete, I think he's better on the mic and he's better inside the ring.

However, that's not to say that Storm's not a good wrestler but is he someone that you think can make it as a singles wrestler? Is he a tag team wrestler for life? Could he be the Marty Jannetty of Beer Money?

Ah, man, not this Marty Jannetty crap again... Come on, Jack-Hammer, you're better than that. Your threads are generally detailed enough that they don't need that kind of cheap ploy to generate responses.

As for Storm, he's a duality type star — he spent a ton of time as a singles competitor (with Jacqueline as his manager) when AMW initially split and was very successful in his endeavors there IMO, but his strength has always been as a tag-team wrestler simply because of how well he can develop chemistry with his partner to make the team truly look like a team.

He's a throwback style heel who plays that Cowboy role very, very well. He's got a certifiable trademark catch phrase ("Sorry 'bout your damn luck") and his 'look' is identifiable to him (customized cowboy hats, sunglasses, beer, etc.).

At some point or another Beer Money, Inc. will split, and when they do he and Roode will put on one helluva show, and while Roode IMO is still the "better" of the two in terms of main-event material, I don't doubt Storm will go on to produce another great mid-card to upper-mid-card singles feuds before they eventually pair up again.

I think he has everything to be as good as Roode. I would pay to see these two main event TNA. I know Roode has a better look but I think Storm is more charismatic. When they feud, which will happen, it's inevitable, it will be awesome. When AMW split, they put on a great series and their Texas Death Match was incredible. These two will surpass it.

When I've seen these two together, I see them as a Rock & Austin or HHH & HBK. They can be as successful as each other. I am absolutely certain of it.

James Storm could do anything. He could team up with someone new or rise up to the main event along with Robert Roode. He's that good of a complete package. :shrug:

I think for the best of TNA's tag-team division they should bring back Chris Harris, but if they want to keep him going on a serious singles run, then I'd be all for it.

I've liked James Storms as a singles wrestler since the first singles match I saw him in. It just seemed to click and I have been a fan of his ever since. He is a great tag team wrestler, but he is just as talented as a singles guy. Storm seems like he is very marketable. Just think about all the merchandise they can put his name, face, catchphrase, etc on. I mean, you got t-shirts, cowboy hats, koozies (for your beers), hell, even coolers. You could market this guy and make tons of money.

Storm is an easy guy to cheer for. He's a rowdy redneck who loves to fight. Who doesn't like watching that? But he is also very good at getting people to hate him. I personally think he is the stronger part of Beer Money, but they are both very good. I'm just going to say, however, that I cared about Storm before this team formed, and I can't say the same about Roode (although I love him now).

Gosh, it's so hard to tell. James Storm is undoubtedly a very entertaining guy with a good gimmick which works both ways - as a face and as a heel. However, I have to doubt his ring work. I really don't think that he has the intensity that Robert Roode brings. As far as ring work goes, Storm is average. No signature moves other than that Superkick he does. To me Storm is a perfect guy for a tag-team, I don't know about a singles career. Something's missing.

Great thread. I am of the opinion that James Storm could not only make it as a singles wrestler after a split from Beer Money, but that he could be the top heel in TNA. As was already mentioned, his throwback style, trademark look, speaking style (and catchphrase) and other identifying factors help thrust him into that role.

The one moment that sold me completely on Storm was when he blew a fireball in Jeff Hardy's face on iMPACT. I mean, look at it moment by moment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKURT3X2i-c

The buildup, the cold and calculated look in Storms eyes before it happens, the complete disgust for Hardy after the matter as if to say "drop and burn you piece of garbage!." Storm looks like he's the meanest, cruelest guy in the world right there. The fact that this was edited on iMPACT was a great disservice not only to that episode in general, but any kind of "heat" (no pun intended) Storm could've obtained in running the segment uncensored.

If Storm can pull out performances like that every night (the approach and execution, not spitting fireballs), he can be the number 1 heel in the company. Much to my disappointment, Storm has continually found himself more and more in the background since then.

Roode is just so good, that when they do break up, it will be hard for Storm to shine more than Roode...

I would assume Roode would be the face and Storm would be the heel... Like IDR, I enjoyed Storm as a singles guy and I thought his feud with Rhyno was entertaining... He can be good on the mic and is a great heel... But, not sure if he would ever be a major player in the main event scene... Unless something seriously changes with TNA's booking, Storm will be nowhere near the main event for a long time, if ever... He may win the TV Title and i imagine he could add some credibility to a belt that desperately needs it...

Roode, I am excited about... When Fourtune turn on Immortal and the next Impact Fourtune came out to confront Flair after he turned on them (TNA Booking lol) When Roode got on the mic, I seriously questioned rather he would be a stronger leader than AJ... Roode said the right things with the right intensity and he looked like a major star...

I have always thought of James Storm as a modern day Arn Anderson. A solid in ring worker, that is tough as a two dollar steak. You could team him up with anyone and they instantly become a main event tag team. Much like Arn though I don't think James works well on his own. He needs to be a better of a team or a stable, like Arn did with The Horsemen, The Brainbusters, or the Dangerous Alliance. Taking nothing away from either mans abilities because I think they both are excellent and definitely stand out in the world of pro wrestling, I just think that solo, they get lost, and as part of a team/faction is when they really shine.

All I got to say is James Storm has worked well on his own, as a matter of fact I believe some wrestling publication voted him best heel one year. James Storm did well as a singles star and was actually one of my favorite guys in TNA (or any promotion for that matter) as a singles star.

I'm not going to compare him with Roode because frankly Roode is a world champion waiting to happen but James Storm would automatically be a solid mid-card single star in either TNA or WWE. He's got a good character, he's actually pretty good on the mic, he can get people to love or hate him and he can actually wrestle. In some ways he does have "Billy Gunn" syndrome where his best work does happen as a tag wrestler but I also felt he hasn't been given the chance to really shine as a singles wrestler. He did well by himself but really he had his feud with Harris, then some sort of drinking contest with Eric Young, then he did nothing until they put him with Roode.

When Roode was a singles star he was on the same level as James Storm, I see Roode as a main eventer but I think Storm would do just fine in a singles position, he's got all the tools and definitely has potential to become a main eventer. If Storm was given a good 6 month run as a singles star where he was in some good programs then I think Storm could be just as good as Roode if not better, he's not there yet but I have no doubt he can get there.

I have always thought of James Storm as a modern day Arn Anderson. A solid in ring worker, that is tough as a two dollar steak. You could team him up with anyone and they instantly become a main event tag team. Much like Arn though I don't think James works well on his own. He needs to be a better of a team or a stable, like Arn did with The Horsemen, The Brainbusters, or the Dangerous Alliance. Taking nothing away from either mans abilities because I think they both are excellent and definitely stand out in the world of pro wrestling, I just think that solo, they get lost, and as part of a team/faction is when they really shine.

That is exactly what I was gonna post, a comparison to AA one of the best tag wrestlers in the buisness as well as a good singles wrestler. Both Roode and Storm have what it takes to be good singles wrestlers, maybe one more than the other but not by much, I like Storms in ring ability, I think he needs a better finisher though something with more power involved in it, the super kick would be a good set up to for it, and I love his promos he can be intense, serious, funny and believable.

Now at some point I know the breakup is gonna happen and it will be a good fued elevating them both to the main event or mid card title pictures, but I will be sad cause they are my favorite tagteam right now and dont want to see them split up, but they deserve to be pushed more in their singles career and its bound to happen.

Storm has every bit of the potential Roode has IMO. He might not be as good in the ring, but he has a great gimmick and plays it very well. "Sorry Bout Your Damn Luck" is the best catchphrase in wrestling today and he's great on the mic. If the past has shown anything it's that a good talker that drinks beer dosen't have to be brilliant in the ring to become a star. I hope to see Storm and Roode become main eventers for TNA sooner than later.

I think he has everything to be as good as Roode. I would pay to see these two main event TNA. I know Roode has a better look but I think Storm is more charismatic. When they feud, which will happen, it's inevitable, it will be awesome. When AMW split, they put on a great series and their Texas Death Match was incredible. These two will surpass it.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I've enjoyed Storm's singles work more than Roode's so far (which is not a knock on Roode). I really have no idea why Storm should be pigeonholed as a tag guy. His feud with Harris, his feud with Rhino, even his "beer championship" feud with EY were all entertaining. He's good in the ring, great on the mic, and just has "it." I really think Storm can do anything that TNA permits him to do. As IDR said, he has a very identifiable and unique look, a great catchphrase; he's truly an original (a classic gimmick, yes, but an original take on it).

The only obstacles to Storm and Roode both being top guys in TNA are the people they are working for.

I definitely do not see James Storm as a Jannetty type. Janetty? Huh, 2 words...Chris Harris.

As many said before, he had a very successful singles run when Jacqueline was his manager. I'm not sure if he is going to be held back because of his physique. Personally, he could tone up, but come on, he's not in Samoa Joe territory.

The superkick is a nice finisher for James. If I remember correctly, he also used the backstabber.

TNA would be wise to split up Beer Money and let them pursure singles careers. Most of us agree that it is just a matter of time before Robert Rude is in the World Title scene. Why not have James Storm start of a little lower in the card? Maybe TV title. If anyone in TNA has the ability to bring some value and legitmacy to the TV title it is James Storm. Storn could have a hell of a run as TV champ and eventually make the leap to the main event.

I'm pretty loyal to TNA because of the guys that have been there, busting their asses to build a company. What I want to see are variations of feuds and storylines with AJ, Anderson, Angle, Roode, & Storm.

There is so much potential...

We've seen many articles that state people are high on Roode however we havent seen any saying anything about Storm. I personally like his mic work and think he can succeed as a singles competitor. However the question will TNA want him to succeed? Do the bosses find him as a marketable guy?

Robert Roode is brilliant but James Storm deserves credit for this. His last singles run as a JBL/ Michael Wallstreet character wasn't overly well received while the Tennessee Cowboy character was over despite some dodgy storylines. IMO Storm deserves great kudos that Roode now wrestles and speaks to such a level that a singles career is looking likely and rosey (I'd probably advocate avoiding WSe though {we can't say Wrestling anymore}, remember the name Braden Walker?).

Both guys can easily be main eventers in TNA, Bobby has developed to that level and I've always felt that Storm just needs the correct push. People may criticise his shape but Stone Cold didn't exactly have any Health & Fitness covers and like Steve, he has the charisma and the gimmick to make looking like the Blueprint unnecessary. On his finishers, on top of the Superkick - he also has the Eye Of The Storm and (as mentioned elsewhere in the thread) the Backstabber.

In these days of comparisons (eg Cena = Hogan; Swagger = Angle), I've read several posters comparing Randy Orton and Anderson [ANDERSON!] to Stone Cold... if you really want a ready made comparison, I know a career hell raising, beer swigging redneck. He mightn't want a hell, yeah from ya but he'll ALWAYS be sorry about your damn luck!

man i dont usually post im mainly a reader and i hate wwe cause they all look the same cept for the vets but james storm is better than roode cept fer maybe on the mic so no marty jenetty shit for him. i think he'll do just fine on his own. (taking moves is what makes a wrestler in my opinion and storm is one of the best at doing that)

James Storm had his opportunity going single 2007-2008. His feuds with Chris Harris and Rhino were good but TNA killed his singles career when they put him in a feud with Eric Young. After the Young feud he tagged with Sting and been a tag wrestler ever since, and all this happened before Hogan and Bischoff. To be honest Cowboy James Storm will finish his career as a tag wrestler, maybe TNA should bring back Chris Harris and reform AMW, thats if Roode goes solo. At 35 yrs old and he seems a bit pudgy and seems like he limps a lot lately, Storm may not have much left in the tank to start a solo career.

I love comparing Beer Money to people cause I have the perfect comparison.

Let's start with AWM.. America's Most Wanted...

James Storm is the Shawn Michaels
Chris Harris is the Marty Janetty

James Storm was the better performer, he even looks a little bit like HBK, got the cowboy hat going on. James Storm is one hell of a talent.

So the Chris Harris comparison obviously is that he's the partner that got cast aside.

In comes Robert Roode... who I say is like Triple H... similar look.. similar wrestling style... except Robert Roode is a lot more intense.

Thus, James Storm and Robert Roode... remind me of Triple H and Shawn Michaels, each as individuals and their chemistry together is somewhat similar.

I love comparing Beer Money to people cause I have the perfect comparison.

Let's start with AWM.. America's Most Wanted...

James Storm is the Shawn Michaels
Chris Harris is the Marty Janetty

James Storm was the better performer, he even looks a little bit like HBK, got the cowboy hat going on. James Storm is one hell of a talent.

So the Chris Harris comparison obviously is that he's the partner that got cast aside.

In comes Robert Roode... who I say is like Triple H... similar look.. similar wrestling style... except Robert Roode is a lot more intense.

Thus, James Storm and Robert Roode... remind me of Triple H and Shawn Michaels, each as individuals and their chemistry together is somewhat similar.

Everything about this is spot on correct. The Beer Money/DX dynamic is very evident. Coincidentally I really like the fact that Storm and HBK share a finisher. James's superkick is one of the best in the business.

I second the general consensus of this post... I think we all can see that Roode and Storm will ultimately be successful in whatever role TNA decides to go with them. It also helps that both men have the ability to be over as both a Face and a Heel.

I like Storm, I think he is more than capable of holding his own as a Singles wrestler, but I do not think he is as good as Roode.

As Jack Hammer said in his initial post, Roode is the better overall package. He has a better look, mic skills, and in-ring ability, but Storm is not too far behind him.

If Beer Money break up, I would like to see The Cowboy be given a decent run at a singles career without being thrown into another tag team quickly. While he is one of the best tag team wrestlers in the world, I think he dseserves a shot to get over by himself and I think he would be successful at doing so.

Storm should go for the TV title after Beer Money break up, I think he would be perfect for that belt. He could be a really good TV champion for TNA and help to bring some actual crediblity to the belt with a long term reign, rather than the couple-of-week long reigns TNA seem to be into right now. That would have 2 benefits, it would benefit Storm's reputation as a singles wrestler, and also help to build the prestige of the TV title.

Roode needs to go straight to World title contention if Beer Money break up, and Storm could eventually join him, but I think a TV title reign would be perfect for The Cowboy after the team eventually ends.

I really like James Storm and think he could be a more then capable singles wrestler like upper middle card, gets a few shots at the world title but always just comes up short. i mean he's got a great catchphrase "Sorry, about your damn luck" and i mean i think the only wrestler i've seen hit the superkick better is shawn micheals. so i think he will be just fine

i think if beer money breaks up, he should form another tag team with an up and comer and help someone new get over. he's one of the only people i can think of who has established more than 1 really good tag team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back