Comebacks- Which have been successful?

Blade

"Original Blade"
Over the last 3-4 years, bands from 20+ years ago have started making comebacks. The motives for each band vary, despite everyone claiming that these 'has-been' rock starts are just returning for the money. I personally am not that cynical. Some bands have returned for their love of music and wanting to perform again. So how have the major comebacks been so far?

The Smashing Pumpkins.
This was one of the most anticipated comebacks in recent years. The Pumpkins are one of those bands whose fanbase has grown since they've split up so alot of fans didn't have a chance to see them during their prime.
On the day Billy Corgan's solo album was released, he took out a full page in a Chicago newspaper announcing the reunion of his old band. Many were skeptical at first, seeing the ad as a marketing technique so that Cogan's album would sell more records. But it turned out to be true, Corgan was in face reuniting the Pumpkins. Or at least, it's a reuinion in his mind, since he and Jimmy Chamberlain were the only original members to return.
But since the comeback, it has been a very mixed bag for the Pumpkins. Zeitgeist received negative reviews from many sources, and the live crowds didn't respond well to the new material. But the superb european tour and the excellent American Gothic EP almost made the Pumpkins relevant again. Almost. But now Chamberlain has left, leaving Corgan alone. This has made the fans wish Corgan would just let it die.

The Pixies
The Pixies were the original 80's/90's comeback band, reuniting in 2004. There had been rumours flying around for months regarding a Pixies reunion, which Frank Black continuously dismissed. But whether he gave in or was just lying, the Pixies finally reunited in the summer of 2004 to a very positive reception. They headlined many festivals across the world, including a superb set and the Reading and Leeds festival in 2005.
But despite the tours and the first new single in 13, Bam Thwok, being released, fans were getting frustrated. Seeing all the old hits being played was great, but there's only so much they could hear them before craving new material. At first The Pixies were reluctant to record new material, since other comeback bands hadn't been very successful in that area. After a few failed attempts to make a new album, the reunion seemed to be coming to and end. But Frank Black still spoke out on his desire to record some new material, and it was finally announced that a new Pixies album would be released in 2010.

Rage Against the Machine
Despite popular belief, the members of RATM did not break up on bad terms back in 2000. For years, rumours of the reunion had been circling around in the music world and on the internet. In 2007, the rumours and buzzing were at an all time high, with fans and critics alike predicting that the time was right for a reunion. Finally, it was announced that RATM would be playing their first gig in 7 years at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. The comeback was a way for the members of the band to remind the people of what they stood for in a time where the USA was in "right-wing purgatory", caused by George Bush.
The comeback gig was met with rave reviews, and the band decided to prolong the tour, taking offers from major European festivals such as Oxegen, Rock am Ring and Reading and Leeds.
While the reunion has not been consistent in terms of touring due to the various projects of the respective band mates, Zack de la Rocha has said there will be more Rage gigs in the future.
On the subject of new material, the band has been very dismissive, saying that if they do end up recording new songs, it won't happen any time soon.

So what about other bands who have made a comeback in recent years? Bands like Blur, The Verve and *cough* Motley Crue? Do you think they have been succesful or not?

The Pixies
The Pixies were the original 80's/90's comeback band, reuniting in 2004. There had been rumours flying around for months regarding a Pixies reunion, which Frank Black continuously dismissed. But whether he gave in or was just lying, the Pixies finally reunited in the summer of 2004 to a very positive reception. They headlined many festivals across the world, including a superb set and the Reading and Leeds festival in 2005.

Glad to see some Pixies love on here, without a doubt the greatest alternative rock band, ever. I had the honor to see them play at the Newport Folk Festival in the summer of 2005, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. They rocked all acoustic insruments, and it still rocked me to pieces. I NEVER EVER thought I'd get the chance to see the Pixies live, and when I did, it was like checking off one of my life goals. Amazing show, amazing band.

But despite the tours and the first new single in 13, Bam Thwok, being released, fans were getting frustrated. Seeing all the old hits being played was great, but there's only so much they could hear them before craving new material. At first The Pixies were reluctant to record new material, since other comeback bands hadn't been very successful in that area. After a few failed attempts to make a new album, the reunion seemed to be coming to and end. But Frank Black still spoke out on his desire to record some new material, and it was finally announced that a new Pixies album would be released in 2010.

Bam Thwok was a good, fun song. Doesn't really compare to their early work (but what the fuck DOES?) but it showed they've still got it. I cannot wait until they release a new album, it's probably going to be one of the first albums I've actually bought a physical copy of in years. I'd gladly pay for a new Pixies album.

If people don't know who the Pixies are...well kill yourself. Especially if you consider yourself a fan of alternative rock, grunge, punk, or really any form of guitar-based music at all.

Pixies > You, basically.

As for other comebacks, I can't believe you didn't mention two of the biggest bands in the history of rock and roll, Led Zeppelin and The Who! How'd you forget those two man?

I really enjoyed The Who's first new album in 25 years, 2006's Endless Wire. Townshend still has it after all these years, and Daltrey has still got the pipes to back him up. They'll never be the same band without Moon and Entwistle, but they're still making quality music. Successful comeback in my book.

Zeppelin on the other hand, I'm not sure about. It was only a reunion tour, but it just seems totally weird without Bonzo. I'm sure their shows were great, but I can't imagine a new album being very good if they ever did decide to make one. Apparently I'm in the minority of people who cannot stand the work that Robert Plant has done with Allison Krauss. The only person in the band who I'd trust to write great new material would be Page, but with Plant seemingly done with ever having another reunion tour, it's not going to happen. I'm glad to be honest, Zeppelin's legacy is so huge and great that I wouldn't want subpar material to tarnish it.

Good thread idea Blade.

Creed

Potentially. They are rejoining, apparently. I didn't like their shit before the lead singer got drunk and pissed the band away, and I doubt I will now. But I'll give them a roll when they throw a song or two out. Because I'm good like that. And if they pull off the comeback, they'll have earned it.

Britney Spears

Fuck me. While I don't consider myself a fan, you can't argue that this isn't a comeback. She goes through years of personal strife and hellacious mental episodes, only to come back and get back on the ball. She's back in stride. One could argue that it isn't near the success she had before, but it's still better than she had when her children were under special protection and she was bald, waving an umbrella against a car.

AC/DC

I have really quite mixed feelings about this. While they didn't break up as such, it had been 8 years since their last album, Stiff Upper Lip. Now everyone probably knows a few AC/DC songs, Highway to Hell, Back in Black. However these were all done early in the bands career, and in most cases with the original lead singer Bon Scott. This may be ancient history for most of you, but its just for those who don't know.

Their early hits are classics, especially to the Australian audience who adore a homegrown band. However after the success of albums such as Highway to Hell and Back in Black, with posthumous credits to Bon Scott, the band's albums became consistently more and more mediocre. Not to say that there weren't some bright spots in these later albums, because there were, however it was in general a pretty poor few years unless you were a serious AC/DC afficionado.

It is not to say that the songs on albums such as Fly On the Wall were bad, but they all had the same feel and sound to them, which was good of course, but grew a bit tiresome decades into their career. Then we had 2008, and the new album Black Ice. now I'm not quite sure about overseas markets, but this album was hyped to shithouse. It was supposed to be the second coming of christ, Kennedys projected career and an orgasm all rolled into one. And when it came out it was played tirelessly on the music TV stations and the radio. Maybe you heard songs like "Rock and Roll Train" or "Rock N Roll Dream". Actually 4 songs have the words "Rock" in them.

Anyways I didnt like it. it wasnt that it was a bad album. But it was more of the same stuff they had been releasing over the past 10-15 years. Solid sounding rock and roll. Which was so much more of a dissapointment than having a shit album. if they changed the sound a tad and did an absolutely crap job, I wouldnt have minded. But the Young Brother showed little evolution. But the fans lapped it up Maybe the hype is what did it, but their supposed comeback into the spotlight didnt hit it for me. Sorry to AC/DC fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back