CM Punk wants to keep the rights to his name.

The Max Attack

Analytical Dreamer
From the WZ main page:

In an update to an earlier report concerning CM Punk's future with the WWE, I have learned that a major issue in the negotiations of CM Punk re-signing with the company is the trademark of his name.

As of now, Vince McMahon and the WWE don't own the name CM Punk. They would like him to sign over the rights to the name which appears to be a hold up in a quick agreement between both sides to continue working together long term.

It appears that CM Punk would like to remain with the WWE but wants to be sure he looks out for himself. As one source told me, "Punk knows that WWE is the secure place for him to be at this point in his career but is a smart business man."

CM Punk is one of the few wrestlers who was well established on the independent circuit and kept his ring name when being signed by the WWE. It is common the WWE gives the performer a name change so they do have ownership and rights to their WWE identity. Bryan Danielson's name being changed to Daniel Bryan is a recent example.

What are your thoughts on this being the main reason why CM Punk won't sign a new contract with the WWE?

I think that's perfectly fair of CM Punk. Why should he have to sign away his character? It's security so that should he ever goes to another company, he won't end up as another "Mr. Anderson" or "Team 3-D". It's fairly ridiculous that this is what's keeping him from re-signing with the company. I understand WWE's trying to keep control of their stars, but Punk shouldn't have to sign over the name he created. I hope they draw up a new contract soon that doesn't involve him signing his name over. It just seems like a slimy power-play on WWE's part.

He's completely in the right not to sign rights to his character over. He came up with it, he created it, now Vince wants to tell him that he has no right to it? I wouldn't sign the rights over to Vince either if i was him.

Smart guy. With a legacy such as Punks, his name is the most valuable thing he has. To "sell" it to WWE would cause a massive loss in recognition if he left. Of course, most wrestling fans would know who he was if he went to TNA under a different name, but a name change would tarnish his career. Good for CM Punk to think about securing his future in an unpredictable business.
I hope he remains with WWE.

Have I read this right, WWe will not consent to renewing his contract unless he signs over the name that he has worked his ass off to establish? Punk is one of their most over stars, whether they like it or not, and his tenure means he can make a very hansom living all across the world at independent bookings, in the Orient, hell - he might even fancy the easy life in TNA. I'd tell them to stick it - they're not exactly blessed with bankable stars if WM is anything to go by and he's been misused most of his tenure there anyway.

He could become Punk MC like Bryan Danielson became Daniel Byran....

He came in with the name CM Punk, he should be able to continue to own the rights to his name, the name that he established and made famous.

He has every riight not to sell his naming rights to WWE. If he did and god forbid went to TNA he would be given a name such as Baba zooloow. Now that would be fu#"ked up...

Let's get this straight, CM Punk came to the WWE with this name and virtually used the same gimmick as he did prior to his WWE days and now they want full control of it. He's right, we all know what the WWE is like with names and should Punk want to move on in future would require him to give up his life work. I can understand why WWE want to do this but its quite frankly a spit in the face.

Punk should pull a Hogan/Warrior, legally change his name to CM Punk meaning the WWE can't claim on it in the future anyways.

Have I read this right, WWe will not consent to renewing his contract unless he signs over the name that he has worked his ass off to establish?

I very much doubt they will refuse to allow him to re-sign if he didn't surrender his name. It's most likely a situtation where one side will buckle. It depends on how persistant WWE are being. CM Punk shouldn't (and won't) allow WWE to pressure him into anything. WWE have a lot more to lose whereas there are other jobs for Punk, in and outside the ring.

From the WZ main page:

In an update to an earlier report concerning CM Punk's future with the WWE, I have learned that a major issue in the negotiations of CM Punk re-signing with the company is the trademark of his name.

As of now, Vince McMahon and the WWE don't own the name CM Punk. They would like him to sign over the rights to the name which appears to be a hold up in a quick agreement between both sides to continue working together long term.

It appears that CM Punk would like to remain with the WWE but wants to be sure he looks out for himself. As one source told me, "Punk knows that WWE is the secure place for him to be at this point in his career but is a smart business man."

CM Punk is one of the few wrestlers who was well established on the independent circuit and kept his ring name when being signed by the WWE. It is common the WWE gives the performer a name change so they do have ownership and rights to their WWE identity. Bryan Danielson's name being changed to Daniel Bryan is a recent example.

What are your thoughts on this being the main reason why CM Punk won't sign a new contract with the WWE?

Smart move by Punk. In the end if he's adamant about it, they will work something out, WWE isn't gonna let him walk off that easily. And Punk isn't gonna sign his future away on the chance that he is future endeavored, and having to build a new name up. By doing this WWE is saying that if we do release you we don't want you to draw squat afterwards.

WWE's right to sign who and how they want.
Punk needs WWE more than WWE needs him.
I'm a fan of his, but if he's this adamant about keeping a name of a career, he's going to find himself back in the indies sooner rather than later.

You have to respect a man for wanting to keep his name, because in the end; that's all we have right? *nods at John Proctor* I'm afraid though that CM Punk won't win this, regardless of how much he has done for the WWE. If the WWE really cared that much about Punk's involvement in the future of their company then they would not be making him loose three times to Randy Orton, who is already over as a man can be in the WWE. This will end in two ways; the WWE will not agree and CM Punk will leave, or the latter where CM Punk gets beaten down by the "wrestling" giant that is the WWE>

I think he will ultimately get his wish. WWE is too strapped for talent as it is. It will be interesting if they cave to him or try and play hardball to set an example for their policy. I could actually see them changing his name over this as a workaround though. He keeps rights to CM Punk but on air they tweak his name some and own that one. The whole thing is stupid but a reality of the modern wrestling business model.

This sounds like a power move by the WWE. They want to know that CM Punk will be a name they can sell and profit off of, even if Punk decides down the road to go to TNA. Unfortunately, CM Punk is a not only a smart leader, smart wrestler but he is also a smart business man. Im sure he wont succumb to the pressure of the E and sign over his name. I also believe that the WWE will eventually give in and just sign him, knowing TNA doesnt need any more help getting star power.

I'm a fan of his, but if he's this adamant about keeping a name of a career, he's going to find himself back in the indies sooner rather than later.

So they have the right to steal his name? You'd be surprised how much WWe need him, you were watching WrestleMania? Austin, Rock, Stratus, Trips, Taker, Edge? Drawing stars are something more than slightly lacking in McMahonland at the moment.

Punk, with his name can ask what he wants from indies (within reason, of course), he can ask more from the Orient and TNA - he can also work as often or as little as he wants. I'd say they need him much more than he needs them.

I completely get Punks point of view. CM Punk is a character he created not the WWE therefore they have no rights to the name or any other aspect of it. Punks being smart and if the WWE are smart they'll drop it and sign him on.

I agree with Punk and I admire him sticking to his guns. That said, you guys who say it's "power move" by WWE are bit a biased. Remember, WWE is simply looking out for their own best interest as well. They invested a lot into a name that doesn't belong to them and that same name could potentially go somewhere else and make money for the competition, using the value that WWE put into it.
While I still agree with Punk, this certainly isn't the "evil, slimey egotistical corporation" type move that everyone is making it out to be. Punk is looking out for Punk, WWE is looking out for WWE. That is all.

Chad Johnson legally changed his name to Chad Ochocinco so the NFL couldn't make money off his creation without him getting a cut. Same with " Marvelous " Marvin Hagler and World B Free. It's they're creation why should other people get exclusive rights to it that had no input in the creation of a name or character. Vince knew this the second he signed Punk. Now it's a different story because it's all about money and seeing if the talent is stupid enough to let that happen. I hope Punk is as smart as he looks and sounds

Punk should pull a Hogan/Warrior, legally change his name to CM Punk meaning the WWE can't claim on it in the future anyways.

You're half-right. Although Jim Halladay did legally change his name to "Warrior", Hogan didn't. His legal name is still Terry Bollea. What happened with Hogan is Vince Sr., who created the original "Hulk Hogan" character back in 1980 when Hogan first joined then-WWWF, didn't trademark names at that time. In 1984, Hogan licensed the "Hulk Hogan" name and character to Marvel Comics for the Saturday morning cartoon that aired at that time. Once the cartoon fizzled-out and his contract with Marvel expired, Hogan regained all legal rights and incorporated the name and character. Today, "Hulk Hogan" is a licensed corporate entity owned by Bollea, just as Microsoft is owned by Bill Gates. Legally, they are completely identical.

The main reason WWE trademarks their character names has little to do with the characters or names themselves. It's not about that to WWE. What WWE is concerned with is the airing of their content. To explain further, when an individual owns the rights to a character name, they also own all rights to that name, including royalties from any DVD in which their character appears in. Also, as legal rights owner to a character name, that individual also holds legal rights to shared ownership of any performances in which their character appears, meaning that they could legally broadcast, publish, or even sell any performances in which their character appears. That's what WWE protects itself from occurring by trademarking names. The characters mean very little to them otherwise.

I smell a jobbing streak occurring if punk doesn't comply, It definly could happen as a way to punish him.

It seems to me that WWE is being stupid in trying to own the CM Punk name and character. That is something Phil Brooks created long before he joined WWE and should be able to keep and use well after he leaves WWE. I also think WWE needs Punk more than Punk needs WWE, granted that WWE lacks the starpower it once had.

Not really surprising news. I'm surprised Punk got his hands on the belt as many times as he has without this having come up earlier, I guess WWE were waiting for when a new contract needed to be written and now that they finally see there is value in his name, they want it.

In terms of the back and forth discussion going on in this thread about who needs who more, I'm leaning towards the WWE needs Punk more than he needs them, and they better not be too stubborn about this. So many top stars have left. Now you have guys like Christian getting the belt for a few days and then losing it and the dirt sheets report that nobody has faith even in someone like Christian to be a top guy. Punk can be a top guy, he can fall back into the mid card and be in a stable or elevate other people, he is and always will be one of the best on the mic which is severely lacking these days, they would be dumb to let that walk away. The previous report in this story was that Punk was offended by the amount of money he was offered. That's probably what it will come down to, not necessarily both sides being stubborn until he leaves, but without handing over his name, they will give him lower offers. If he wants the amount of money that he feels he deserves, they are going to want him to be WWE property.Two valid sides to this argument really. Why would the WWE want to build him up any more, put more world titles on him, make him a bigger star, and risk that some day he can walk off and still use his same name. Yes "Phil" created CM Punk and maintained it all this time, but a few years back, previous to the WWE, what was his name really worth? He was a common name for anyone who knew a handful of independent wrestlers, but nothing more. So yeah it's his creation, but the WWE machine still got behind him and made him much more well known. We're always so quick to act like Vince and the WWE are the big bad evil corporation, but really, despite CM Punk not being their creation, they still helped him get where he is today, and let him stand in their spotlight and be on their programming, so why would they wanna risk him going somewhere else and being able to draw under the same name. The only other thing to be said is that they should have just renamed him in the first place then, because to already have an established star and now be going through this bickering is a dumb move.

If I were Punk, I'd be willing to sign over my name for a WWE career, but I would make sure they offer a loooong contract to make sure that I never will need to go somewhere else and try drawing under a different name. Give Punk the security that he'll never need to regret signing away his name or have to create a new character, and he'll have no reason not to do it, except pride.

:wtf: Are you serious? Yes WWE has the right to sign who they want, but hell if the guy created his character before coming to WWE he has a right to keep it when or if he leaves the company. By the way, WWE needs him more than he needs WWE. Having a straight-edge wrestler in WWE is great publicity for them, because if someone says that all wrestlers are steriod freaks they(WWE) can point to him and say "C.M. Punk is straight-edge, so he doesn't take steroids."

:wtf: Are you serious? Yes WWE has the right to sign who they want, but hell if the guy created his character before coming to WWE he has a right to keep it when or if he leaves the company. By the way, WWE needs him more than he needs WWE. Having a straight-edge wrestler in WWE is great publicity for them, because if someone says that all wrestlers are steriod freaks they(WWE) can point to him and say "C.M. Punk is straight-edge, so he doesn't take steroids."

You can tell from the looks of the wrestlers that most of them aren't on steroids (with exception of a couple). But Punk's lifestyle probably enabled him to put a few bucks in the bank. Hopefully he's financially secure enough that worst comes he could walk away from the business and be fine. And I think financial security will play a big role in whether or not he would sign away the rights to that name.

Right now though, the WWE is in desperate need of stars. Punk is without a doubt the best heel they've had in the company in years. If the WWE isn't too full of themselves, they'd understand you cannot create stars like that out of their ass. So they really aren't in a sound position to throw away stars, when they need more of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back