CM Punk vs. Steve Austin?

killerd105

Dark Match Winner
Ok, so there's no surprise that the speculation going around is that there will be a match between Stone Cold and CM Punk at Wrestlemania 28. But something that confuses me about having this match at the grandest stage of them all, is that CM Punk is entering a program at the moment as a face and he would obviously work better in a program with Stone Cold by playing a heel by the time Wrestlemania. But if rumors are true then this current program will lead up to Survivor Series. So from there, what happens? Does he stay a face until 'mania and have a face vs face such as The Rock and John Cena? Or does CM Punk go back to being a heel sometime before Wrestlemania to be heel vs face? So my question to the IWC is, how would you want to see a match between the two be booked at Wrestlemania 28 ?

I would keep it Face vs Face. Too me the best matches are the ones that make the fans pick a side. Also in a big name match like this, you don't really even need that big of a feud. Same thing with Rock and Cena. The match will draw regardless. They would certainly need to do something to create heat between the two to add to the match but they need to keep it simple.

Look at Undertaker vs HHH last year. Biggest match of the night but the feud wasn't anything over the top. It was about pride. That is all a CM Punk vs SCSA match has to be about too. Keep it simple.

I'm really looking forward to this years wrestlemania. With The Rock vs Cena booked and possible Austin vs Punk, I'd love to see these superstars back. It'll be similar to a one night stand ppv just on a bigger stage the biggest of them all. In addition to Punk vs Austin I'd love to see either HHH vs Taker 2, or Foley is rumored to be getting back into shape for one more match. Maybe Taker/Foley hell in the cell to cap things off on both of their careers. Maybe bring back Jericho and have HBK involved in some capacity (special ref or host). As for Austin vs Punk honestly I'd say let those two go out there and say whatever they want and see where the audience takes it. I don't think Punk would have to turn heel. Obviously its working with Rock/Cena and both of them are faces.

CM Punk should win in a two minute squash, Punk is a current main eventer. Current main eventers destroy retired guys. Anything else screams the old guys are better and the only reason Punk was even competitive is because Austin is old. The key is to build the current product not to show how the product ten years ago was so much better.

And Austin shouldn't give beer drink advice when he's touting that amateur piss water that is Bud Light, that's like recomending Totino's Pizza as the pizza you should be eating.

CM Punk should win in a two minute squash, Punk is a current main eventer. Current main eventers destroy retired guys. Anything else screams the old guys are better and the only reason Punk was even competitive is because Austin is old. The key is to build the current product not to show how the product ten years ago was so much better.

And Austin shouldn't give beer drink advice when he's touting that amateur piss water that is Bud Light, that's like recomending Totino's Pizza as the pizza you should be eating.

A squash match that is a great way to piss of your fan base and totally disrespect the biggest draw in WWE history in SCSA. I think Punk should go over but in a great match not some throw away that is reserved for the likes of Santino.

Actually there really is NO need to turn Punk heel. The fans at WM will boo Punk against Austin regardless of what they do. So if this match was to happen:

You have to keep Punk as a face, let him get mixed reactions during the fued and have him go OVER Austin cleanly and after Austin leaves again the rub that he gives a face Punk would be enormous.

So sure it will be a mess with fan reactions but its a perfect chance to make Punk look great because I know Austin will put him over.

I would love to see this match. That being said, it would better if they have this match after WM28 because you already have Rock-Cena and Undertaker's streak at WM. If you add this match, it would be impossible for any following PPV to follow such a card.

You mean like when Chris Jericho squashed Ricky Steamboat? Sure made Jericho looks like shit, eh?

Give your head a shake. If you actually think a squash would do anything but piss everyone off, then you're a buffoon. Saying a hard-fought match would make Punk look bad is ludicrous.

Punk-Austin at Mania would be awesome! As long as Austin can go (which I don't know if he can after hearing some comments by Edge), the match would be amazing.

A squash match that is a great way to piss of your fan base and totally disrespect the biggest draw in WWE history in SCSA. I think Punk should go over but in a great match not some throw away that is reserved for the likes of Santino.

No a great match shows that one of your current star struggles against a past his prime broken down guy from 10 years ago. Showing that the current guys aren't at the level of the past guys and can only beat them because they're old. The time for Austin to pass the torch in a competitve match was 6+ years ago, a squash does way more for Punk NOW and in the future.

You mean like when Chris Jericho squashed Ricky Steamboat? Sure made Jericho looks like shit, eh?

Give your head a shake. If you actually think a squash would do anything but piss everyone off, then you're a buffoon. Saying a hard-fought match would make Punk look bad is ludicrous.

Punk-Austin at Mania would be awesome! As long as Austin can go (which I don't know if he can after hearing some comments by Edge), the match would be amazing.

Jericho was sneaky, back paddling heal completely different dynamic. Punk squashing Austin makes Punk look strong, makes him look like the real deal, Austin being competitve makes Punk look like he can't handle an old guy and hurts him. Squashes never hurt the winner, why risk Punks's drawing ability to make Austin looks good? Austin isn't coming back full time, a squash doesn't hurt his legacy. And you guys aren't taking account Austin might only be able to go half paced, gasses in three minutes, and can't take shit for a bump, why take that risk , oh yeah because the one off guy is too good tto be squashed.

No a great match shows that one of your current star struggles against a past his prime broken down guy from 10 years ago. Showing that the current guys aren't at the level of the past guys and can only beat them because they're old. The time for Austin to pass the torch in a competitve match was 6+ years ago, a squash does way more for Punk NOW and in the future.

:suspic:

WrestleMania - the biggest show of the year.

CM Punk vs. Steve Austin (the second biggest WWF/E superstar of all time)

... in a three minute squash. Yeah, ok. Thank Christ smarks aren't booking this shit.

No one wants to see a two minute squash match on a show which costs upwards of $50. No one.

I want to see it, just like every other wrestling fan (minus the genius I quoted earlier). I would rather see these two go at it heel vs. face, but I'm sure they can make it work.

Is it going to happen? I don't know. The realistic part of me says no, but the idealist in me says yes :) For now, I'll continue to hope.

it will happen

and punk will go over austin

but i can gurantee it wont be no squash, it will probably be austins last match ever and he will do the best he can

Really? Really? A squash match? What the fuck is wrong with you?
This is not reality. Of course in real life CM Punk could destroy an old guy, but this is wrestling dude. Austin may be old, but he still looks like he is in a good shape, and a squash match would be pointless with that kind of star power.

As far as heel or face. I don't think these guys would fit any of those bills. Austin was basically a bad ass tweener who beat any one face or heel and CM Punk is a face, but still has some heel mannerisms. They should just give them bullet points and have them be gold on the mic as they always are. I think CM Punk should win of course, and I believe Austin would definitely put him over. Hopefully it happens. If not this year, then next.

Really? A squash match? I'm guessing you want the Rock to job to Cena in a 2 minute match too right? Let me ask you something, did Randy Orton's career suffer from losing to Hogan? I don't think so because he is WHC (all the time) and the face of Smackdown (probably forever). Saying that CM Punk needs to squash Austin in 2 minutes AT WRESTLEMANIA is just idiotic!! Your either the son of Vince Russo or you have never watched wrestling at all.

What should happen is a build up pretty much like Rock/Cena with both guys faces. As someone else said, let the fans choose who they want to cheer. As for the match, I say book it as a long back and forth match with Punk pulling out the close victory. This allows Austin to keep his legacy fully intact while putting Punk over. End it with a handshake and give Austin the ring to himself for one last ovation.

If Austin is not healthy, he should not have a match at wrestlemania. I just don't wanna book him into a physical brutal match, just for my entertainment. But, let me try to set up Austin vs Punk in a different way.

Austin has been compared to Punk umpteenth number of times. That must be very annoying for someone like Austin, since Punk's gimmick (straight-edge, messiah) is directly opposite to him. CM Punk has been taking a dig at Austin for his drinking habits and choices since March. Austin has been warning him of the outcome. On the other hand, non-kayfebe wise, Austin may want this match to improve his financial state, but Punk may want it just because it makes sense to him. So, it may occur to Punk that Austin may have stirred the pot intentionally, so that Punk will be just inclined to after him. For HHH, it may be good for the business wise to have Punk vs Austin at wrestlemania. All this may lead to something that Punk never saw coming.

Punk been a fan of Austin (he wore his t-shirt once in the ring), would have been talked into spitting the venom against Vince and WWE in general. He would have followed Austin's footsteps in doing so, since Austin has had lot of influence over his mind set. Vince removal was just an eyewash to give Punk a sense of victory. Punk overjoyed and over-confident of this success will take a dig at everyone that comes to his mind. Austin would be a natural choice, his childhood dream of a match together with a legend. He instigate Austin, and Austin is not gonna take it lying down. HHH and Vince has some unfinished business with Austin, and they have been looking for an opportunity for quite sometime. What a way to tell Austin that we can create another one like you within a matter of months! Austin, thanks to brain explosion after been provoked, comes to the ring only to realize that he shouldn't risk his body. But, he will fight just because he has to. Punk has realized this controversy, and he is now pissed at HHH.

HHH will tell WWE universe, that similar to Austin (when he stuck him down with car leading to his injury), Punk also never saw this coming. This will lead to Punk vs HHH at wrestlemania. After the match, when Punk has defeated HHH after a great (I meant a back and forth match :) ), Austin will come to the ring to settle score with Punk. He will get physical, but there will be a intense stare down.

Story i cooked up was quite similar to last Rocky Balboa movie :). Point here is, it will be a huge swerve to see Austin in the ring as tough, badass, legendary but unsure, vulnerable, and fading superstar. Real fantasy booking, isn't it? :)

Sorry but I have no interest in seeing this just for Austin to give the rub to CM Punk. We are talking about a huge legacy here and for him to come back for 'one last match' and lose doesn't sit well with me. At least his last loss was to The Rock.

Rock may lose, but he is in great shape and can step in the ring whenever he wants. He is already pencilled in for 3/4 PPV's in 2012 so before you compare the two - THINK.

Personally I would prefer to see CM Punk go up against Triple H. Chris Jericho would also be an interesting programme should he return.

If Austin was to return, let him have a go at the streak - that is money right there. Ok, another loss, but its a credible loss because Taker is the man and Punk isnt.

Actually there really is NO need to turn Punk heel. The fans at WM will boo Punk against Austin regardless of what they do. So if this match was to happen:

You have to keep Punk as a face, let him get mixed reactions during the fued and have him go OVER Austin cleanly and after Austin leaves again the rub that he gives a face Punk would be enormous.

So sure it will be a mess with fan reactions but its a perfect chance to make Punk look great because I know Austin will put him over.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Austin told the bookers he didn't want to lose to Punk. Austin and creative always had problems with match endings because Austin didn't want to lose.

Even though he doesn't wrestle anymore, I would be highly surprised to see him put Punk over on the biggest stage of them all. Austin's old, but he'll never lose his pride.

I would like to see that match at Mania 28 and face vs face. I have no doubt that Austin would put Punk over after a long match since Austin is a fan of Punk and he know he could help him reach the next level.

The problem is that The Rock is winning at Mania to set up a rematch at Summerslam (and let's that how I see it and want it), so if the Rock were to win, I doubt Austin would want to lose.

See, I think Austin would be willing to lose. It appears to me in the twitter wars that Austin entertains the idea of C.M. Punk and him going at it. I think the match shouldn't be a squash though because I think it would hurt Austin's legacy. Austin isn't Hulk Hogan, he's not even close to 100% yea, of course, but he's still a tough bastard.

If anything have it start out back and forth, a lot of brawling. Then have Punk dominate for a long time, but eventually Punk has a hard time putting Austin away, a lot of near falls. Have Austin hit a stunner out of nowhere, cover, Punk kicks out. Both seem tired, but Punk gets his second wind and eventually puts Austin away with a Stunner reversal into a GTS.

After the match, someone who Punk was feuding with or is lined up to feud with after Wmania comes out and attacks him and Austin makes the save, seeing Austin pass the torch to Punk and endorsing him as tough as hell. After the attacker is knocked out of the ring, have CM Punk slowly rise and Austin perched like he's going to stun him, like he's irritated that he lost, but then he extends his hand out of respect. Then have Austin do the beer bash deal and hand Punk a beer, Punk gives him a look like seriously, then Austin smiles, nods, get's the next beer thrown to him and it's a pepsi instead, then Punk nods and slams it back. (I think it would be comical given that these two could make something this simple seem funny.) Hell, even have Ryder come out with Bud Limes and get stunned by Austin...

The attacker should be someone relevant, preferably someone like Jericho who could have a great program with Punk and Y2J has also had beef with Austin in the past. Hell, even have Jericho bury the Austin/Punk match on twitter and such, to show he's bitter Austin got the spot he wanted. (Wasn't there a rumor Jericho wanted to face Punk at Wmania?)

By the way, to whoever questioned whether Austin can still go, it wasn't much, but I thought he did pretty good on tough enough when he gave that kid the experience of a lifetime by rolling around in the ring with him...

This way the fans get a good match, we can see that Austin still is tough as hell, and we lead right into Punk's next program. Hell, maybe even have Austin show up a bit here or there.

It should definitely NOT be a face vs heel match. Punks character is no longer a heel, but he is not a face either. He is "real". I believe they are trying, at least for some guys, to break out of this heel/face template, and have 2 guys wrestle who are at odds with each other, not because one is necessarily dirty and bad, but because they just plain don't like each other, or they have similar goals in mind (both want the championship). Punk has not resorted to dirty tactics vs john Cena, and there is no reason to believe he would against Austin. They can just have some epic verbal confrontations (like the recent twitter ones, just live) and go from there. There doesn't need to be a heel. Straight Edge vs Austin works pretty nice, and neither side is considered to be a "bad guy".

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Austin told the bookers he didn't want to lose to Punk. Austin and creative always had problems with match endings because Austin didn't want to lose.

Even though he doesn't wrestle anymore, I would be highly surprised to see him put Punk over on the biggest stage of them all. Austin's old, but he'll never lose his pride.

See while I agree that Austin has refused to put people over in the past, he also never wanted to put people over that he didn't like or someone that he thought wasn't ready to be put over by him(Lesnar) but all of this was when he was an active wrestler.

Austin's main goal here would be to give Punk a massive rub, kinda like when Foley came back and gave Orton a big rub.

Its clearly obvious that Austin likes Punk a lot and respects the hell out of him, so I don't think it would even be close to an issue. Austin would put Punk over.

As for it being a squash match. This is what I mean about people with "high reps" that are mods, everyone is afraid to disagree with them.

Not me, I am not impressed by Dudleys comment and he couldn't be more wrong.

1. Austin is the most popular wrestler of all time. NO ONE has grossed more sales than Austin in the history of wrestling.

2. Austin, with months of prep time, could easily put on a 4 star match with Punk putting on a 5 star match which would make it a 4.5 star match which would be worthy of WM28's second main event.

Haters will hate regardless, but the bottom line, Austins last match with the Rock, Austin was EXTREMELY hurt, which is why Rock had to carry the match. If Austin was to do this match with Punk, he would be relatively healthy. The only issue would be "game" shape, as athletes call it, which if Austin just did some light matches off camera to get in shape, wouldn't even be an issue.

Punk v. Austin has the potential to be a great match, psychologically. Both of there guys are experts at telling a story in the ring and getting the crowd emotionally envolved in the match. Of course, this all hinges on SCSA's ability to go one more time, especially with a smaller, faster Punk. If he had one more match against, say, The Undertaker, it definately wouldn't be as much of a problem. Punk, however has a very fast (for WWE) in ring style, and I'm not sure if Austin would be able to keep up. If he's healthy, though, Austin could put on one helluva farewell match with the Best In The World.

Austin shouldn't give beer drink advice when he's touting that amateur piss water that is Bud Light, that's like recomending Totino's Pizza as the pizza you should be eating.
I agree wholeheartedly, Have a Yuengling, Steve. That's what a real beer tastes like!!

yah this could turn bad real quick!! As many have said already squashing never helps the winner!!! If it were to happen pro ausin mixed cm punk most definitely!! I say have this match at WM its where it belongs.. Austin has stated many times he has a couple of matches left in him but punk has go over big time and maybe have the match hover around the 5 minute mark i say!! Anything longer than that it makes punk look weak and we cant have SCSA as much as i love him win this one at all!! But SCSA drinking bud light dude you gotta pick a better beer Bud light is nasty and gross!! Longboard or blue moon or newcastle there you go SCSA!!

Because the Rock totally looked like shit with his hard fought win over Hogan at Wrestlemania X8, right? Don't be a damned fool. This is professional wrestling, this isn't shoot fighting. A man can be 40 or 50 years older or even older and it doesn't mean he's no longer capable, because it's a f*cking work and involves suspension of disbelief, and in the world of pro wrestling, your overness is more indicative of your ability than your actual physical condition. Austin, Rock, Hogan, these men are ultra stars, and are not only able to compte well passed their prime, but are expected to do so.

If CM Punk gets a hard fought win over Austin, people aren't going to say "Punk could barely beat that washed up old cripple, what a joke!" They're going to say "Man, CM Punk went toe to toe with Stone Cold Steve Austin and won at Wrestlemania! He's a f*cking phenom!"

I don't exactly want this match to happen at Mania 28. I want Austin to go out against a huge star, someone on the level of Cena, and for that to happen, Punk needs some time. He has had a great couple of months but to be on the level of a Cena you need to be great month after month and year after year. I do not believe for a second that Punk does not have the ability to do so but he certainly needs the opportunity to shine.

I would book the match, considering that Austin is up for it, at WrestleMania 29. Stone Cold Steve Austin is a guy that deserves to go out at the main event of WrestleMania and I want Punk/ Austin to be the unquestionable main event on the card. For that to happen, Punk needs to grow in stature. If he is booked well throughout the next year, Punk might just reach that pedestal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back