CM PUNK DEBUTING IN THE UFC

Magical inside information they have? You dont need magically inside info. Anyone that is either a huge ufc fan or trains in mma can pretty much see what is going to happen. Punk is not good at MMA and I would bet my bank on that. His kicks look like a kick my 2 year old son would throw. Go look at a DB kick compared to Punks and tell me if you see the difference. Punk is not athletic at all. His vert is damn near non existent and most wrestlers his size are WAY faster and more agile than he is. He is freaking OLD! He isnt flexible, watch how he struggles with simple high kicks. Sure he could maybe beat some Joe off the street that has fought once or twice but any experienced fighter amateur or ufc would kick his ass. He is being cocky and will pay for it...should have stayed in his lane.

So again, you have no real knowledge of what he can or can't do in MMA.

Forget the "anyone who is a UFC fan" bullshit...you haven't seen him compete in a fight where he wasn't ACTING, and yes, I'm going to call wrestling exactly that because the comparison is valid. You have not seen him in an situation where he had to kick someone with intent to injure.

This is simple bitterness being reflected in your viewpoint, and a desire to see him fail. Wish people would be honest about that.

Chael Sonnen is getting a little attention since, as usual, he's putting his two cents worth in on the whole thing. According to an interview he gave to MMAMania.com, Sonnen expects that Punk will be in the main event or the co-main event spot on his debut due to a hefty price tag and adds that he has "a pretty good idea who his opponent is."

Sonnen went further and said:

"I'm going to keep that close to the vest. It would not make sense to give him a bottom-tier guy.... he is not a bottom-tier guy, I can tell you that. You will know who he is and he'll be a pretty heavy favorite to win. Punk's not going to come in as the favorite."

So, Sonnen claims to have a good idea as to who the opponent will be but, of course, he isn't spilling. I'd say he's right about Punk being in the main event or co-main event spot; I wonder if Punk will gripe if he doesn't get to close the show. :p

At any rate, IF Punk's opponent is pretty well known and isn't some scrub, has been, never-was or never-will-be, then I agree that he'll probably go into the fight a pretty heavy underdog.

So again, you have no real knowledge of what he can or can't do in MMA.

Forget the "anyone who is a UFC fan" bullshit...you haven't seen him compete in a fight where he wasn't ACTING, and yes, I'm going to call wrestling exactly that because the comparison is valid. You have not seen him in an situation where he had to kick someone with intent to injure.

This is simple bitterness being reflected in your viewpoint, and a desire to see him fail. Wish people would be honest about that.
Would Big Show win the 100 meter dash in the olympics? Can Brie Bella dunk a basketball? Could Mark Henry compete in a swimming race in the olympics?

You don't need to see someone do a specific sport to be able to see huge disadvantages that they would have in another sport. If I was short and an extremely slow runner that was uncoordinated and you SAW me play basketball and suck at it, than it would be obvious that I would also not be any good at football either.

Acting or not, wouldn't make your striking form go from being terrible to amazing. If your form is terrible when throwing a slow kick not meant to harm your opponent than it will be even worse when you throw a real one. This is not bitterness...its called common sense. I dont want to see him fight at all. I hope by some miracle that he doesn't get knocked out in the first round. Punk is an all time favorite of mine but I have trained mma, and Punk's striking is terrible, he isn't athletic, not very coordinated, and at a retirement age. None of these signs point to success. All of those traits will carry over to the ufc because that is who Punk is.

Cracks me up that Punk did his crying act, but has now signed on yet again to be an independent contractor for a company where you are expected to put your health on the line for a payoff. Also pretty hilarious that UFC has recently struck a uniform deal with Reebok and the days of guys having fight trunks with sponsors plastered all over in order to get paid money is coming to an end. The Reebok thing goes into effect in July and Punk probably won't debut until that time or later. So Punk still isn't going to get the fight trunks he was dreaming of. The only thing that sounds different is that UFC is slightly more proactive about health insurance for the fighters, but there are people who have spoken out to say that type of thing in UFC isn't great either. There is no union to defend the fighters in UFC just like there is no union for professional wrestlers.

Punk did an awful lot of complaining about things like this just to go to a company where it's all the same, except you're now standing across the mat from someone who's main priority is to hurt you rather than to execute wrestling moves while keeping you safe.

It would be a more impactful statement if the message was "I'm going over here to UFC, where the guys have good insurance, there's a union, I can have my own sponsors, and I'm an employee instead of a contractor". But instead it just looks like hypocrisy, he tried to make Vince and WWE out to be the devil, but decides that it's okay to work for Dana under many of the same circumstances.

Will he eventually cut a 2 hour shoot on Dana and the "bipolar nature of the MMA business" where they can't decide if it's about fighting or entertainment?

Would Big Show win the 100 meter dash in the olympics? Can Brie Bella dunk a basketball? Could Mark Henry compete in a swimming race in the olympics?

Punk isn't 7 foot, 400 pounds. He isn't trying to dunk a basketball and he's not a 350 pounder being asked to swim in an Olympic event.

You don't need to see someone do a specific sport to be able to see huge disadvantages that they would have in another sport. If I was short and an extremely slow runner that was uncoordinated and you SAW me play basketball and suck at it, than it would be obvious that I would also not be any good at football either.

In some cases, yes. None of them apply here.

Punk is an all time favorite of mine but I have trained mma, and Punk's striking is terrible, he isn't athletic, not very coordinated, and at a retirement age. None of these signs point to success. All of those traits will carry over to the ufc because that is who Punk is.

At various points, you have claimed to be a professional wrestler. Now you claim to have trained MMA. All I really think you've done is talk a lot of shit while claiming to have some grand knowledge about, now, multiple sports/businesses. :rolleyes:

Magical inside information they have? You dont need magically inside info. Anyone that is either a huge ufc fan or trains in mma can pretty much see what is going to happen. Punk is not good at MMA and I would bet my bank on that. His kicks look like a kick my 2 year old son would throw. Go look at a DB kick compared to Punks and tell me if you see the difference. Punk is not athletic at all. His vert is damn near non existent and most wrestlers his size are WAY faster and more agile than he is. He is freaking OLD! He isnt flexible, watch how he struggles with simple high kicks. Sure he could maybe beat some Joe off the street that has fought once or twice but any experienced fighter amateur or ufc would kick his ass. He is being cocky and will pay for it...should have stayed in his lane.

For someone "being cocky and paying for it"... You seem to have an awful lot of knowledge as a "wrestler" and being "trained in MMA" on a forum and now know Punk for fact is not good in MMA. You are talking about comparisons of worked kicks in a wrestling match. You went in on me on my last thread and talked about how you taped your arms for wrestling matches, now you are talking about how your 2 year old throws better kicks than CM Punk and about MMA training. Let's see your wrestling matches or vert.

I'm totally interested in this and will watch. I'm sure he will be pretty good too! Of course they will serve him up a few easy fights at first but I would not be surprised if he became really good...once he dedicates himself and trains.

For someone "being cocky and paying for it"... You seem to have an awful lot of knowledge as a "wrestler" and being "trained in MMA" on a forum and now know Punk for fact is not good in MMA. You are talking about comparisons of worked kicks in a wrestling match. You went in on me on my last thread and talked about how you taped your arms for wrestling matches, now you are talking about how your 2 year old throws better kicks than CM Punk and about MMA training. Let's see your wrestling matches or vert.
I am not going to show who I am on a forum where I talk bad about the major pro wrestling companies for obvious reasons. I trained mma for a year to help get in shape and now I wrestle. I do not fight mma. Why does everyone think it is impossible for someone to actually get off of their ass and do something. I also go to the gym 4 times a week, do you need a pic of that? My two year old throws terrible kicks and I was kind of joking with that comparison. Last time I checked which was like 6 years ago lol I had a 34 inch vert which looks amazing considering the fact that I am 5'6. If I wanted to lie, I would say I was a wwe, roh, or tna wrestler, not a guy that wrestles in front of 50 people. Find a school, give them 200 dollars a month for about 6 months and you could do what I do as well. Its not like I did anything extraordinary. I pretty sure I'm not the only wrestler on here.

Punk isn't 7 foot, 400 pounds. He isn't trying to dunk a basketball and he's not a 350 pounder being asked to swim in an Olympic event.

In some cases, yes. None of them apply here.

At various points, you have claimed to be a professional wrestler. Now you claim to have trained MMA. All I really think you've done is talk a lot of shit while claiming to have some grand knowledge about, now, multiple sports/businesses. :rolleyes:
Umm...so not being athletic doesn't affect fighting in mma?

I wrestle and have trained in mma...so has hundreds of guys on the indys. Just because you sit on your ass doesn't mean everyone else does. I have never to do anything that I haven't done before. I was also in the military, do I need to prove that?

What grand knowledge have I claimed to have? Punks striking looks terrible, their is no need for any type of grand knowledge. Just watch one freaking ufc fight.

While at first I didnt care at all, now I still dont care as much but I have a hope.
With Lesnar thinking about UFC. How great would it be to see the former WWE & WHC vs WWE WHC in the UFC ring really fighting.
If anything, I just want to see Punk vs Brock in real life. If Punk can beat Lesnar in the UFC then he is the best in the world. But that is a match on a PPV that I think will sell more PPVs for the UFC. I would buy it. But other then that, I cant really see Punk beating anyone like GSP. I just cant imagine that he complained about Ryback and being injured, to going into a ring where he will get beat on immensely for a long time. But good luck to him, and I hope he fights Brock as his first road block.

While at first I didnt care at all, now I still dont care as much but I have a hope.
With Lesnar thinking about UFC. How great would it be to see the former WWE & WHC vs WWE WHC in the UFC ring really fighting.
If anything, I just want to see Punk vs Brock in real life. If Punk can beat Lesnar in the UFC then he is the best in the world. But that is a match on a PPV that I think will sell more PPVs for the UFC. I would buy it. But other then that, I cant really see Punk beating anyone like GSP. I just cant imagine that he complained about Ryback and being injured, to going into a ring where he will get beat on immensely for a long time. But good luck to him, and I hope he fights Brock as his first road block.

:wtf: It's 2014 man go watch re-runs of Pride if you wanna see heavyweights vs middleweights.

Everybody wants a piece of punk.
Of course they will be giving him easy matches to begin with. They're not going to make him look bad...but sooner or later he's going to have to fight the lyota machidas and such..
Looking forward to his debut.

Everybody wants a piece of punk.
Of course they will be giving him easy matches to begin with. They're not going to make him look bad...but sooner or later he's going to have to fight the lyota machidas and such..
Looking forward to his debut.
An "easy" UFC level fighter still destroys Punk. Sorry man, you can't just wake up one day (when you've been doing MMA as, let's face it, a hobby) and suddenly try to compete with one of the best 100-200 fighters in the world at your weight class. Especially when you're a mediocre athlete. Punk had to work very damn hard to be as "athletic" as he is, which isn't very athletic. Being great in the ring doesn't always require you to be a great athlete. It requires more of a knowledge of psychology, pacing, and toughness (Harley Race, Dusty Rhodes, Jerry Lawler, etc). Punk isn't fluid. Punk isn't cut. Punk isn't explosive. Combine that with him not having trained 8 hours a day in strictly MMA for the last 10 years, with him being in his mid 30s, that's a recipe to get the shit kicked out of you.

Maybe Dana will put him against the Green Ranger.

I am not going to show who I am on a forum where I talk bad about the major pro wrestling companies for obvious reasons. I trained mma for a year to help get in shape and now I wrestle. I do not fight mma. Why does everyone think it is impossible for someone to actually get off of their ass and do something. I also go to the gym 4 times a week, do you need a pic of that? My two year old throws terrible kicks and I was kind of joking with that comparison. Last time I checked which was like 6 years ago lol I had a 34 inch vert which looks amazing considering the fact that I am 5'6. If I wanted to lie, I would say I was a wwe, roh, or tna wrestler, not a guy that wrestles in front of 50 people. Find a school, give them 200 dollars a month for about 6 months and you could do what I do as well. Its not like I did anything extraordinary. I pretty sure I'm not the only wrestler on here.

It doesn't matter who you are or if you talk bad about pro wrestling companies. Look at Punk. He was one of the highest on the roster, not the highest, but up there, and he didn't have a lot of nice things to say about the WWE.

I'm sure if you really dug deep down inside that WWE locker room, he wouldn't be the only one with complaints. The only reason most of them stay silent, is because if they open their mouths their job's are at risk.

It doesn't matter where you work, everyone has a complaint of some sort about their job or someone they work with, it's a natural thing.

It doesn't matter who you are or if you talk bad about pro wrestling companies. Look at Punk. He was one of the highest on the roster, not the highest, but up there, and he didn't have a lot of nice things to say about the WWE.

I'm sure if you really dug deep down inside that WWE locker room, he wouldn't be the only one with complaints. The only reason most of them stay silent, is because if they open their mouths their job's are at risk.

It doesn't matter where you work, everyone has a complaint of some sort about their job or someone they work with, it's a natural thing.
If you are already in WWE than yea you can say what you want. If Devitt was known for bashing WWE than I bet he wouldn't have ever got a chance on nxt. I'm being smart about my future. I'm pretty sure WWE is out of the question but I would love to go to Japan at some point. Either way this is about Punk and who I am or what I do doesn't change the fact that Punk is going to go to ufc with probably the most disadvantages a fighter has ever had in the octagon.

Sorry man, you can't just wake up one day (when you've been doing MMA as, let's face it, a hobby) and suddenly try to compete with one of the best 100-200 fighters in the world at your weight class. Especially when you're a mediocre athlete.

True. In addition, it would have to be very hard to transition from a form of competition in which your opponent is instructed to lie down for you (pro wrestling) to one where you're fighting for real. Even if he was as great a wrestler as he believes, this is an entirely different thing.

Remember Meadowlark Lemon of the Harlem Globetrotters? I once read that, as effective as he looked when playing against teams that were ordered to make him look like a great basketball player (The Washington Generals!), Lemon came off as foolish in the few games he played against real competition; finding that exaggerating his fakes and dribbling high didn't play well when the opponent wasn't instructed to make him look good.

So yes, while many of you argue that Punk has the right to do whatever he wants, I'll claim my own right to hope that Punk in UFC comes off looking like Meadowlark Lemon against NBA players. :disappointed:

True. In addition, it would have to be very hard to transition from a form of competition in which your opponent is instructed to lie down for you (pro wrestling) to one where you're fighting for real. Even if he was as great a wrestler as he believes, this is an entirely different thing.

Remember Meadowlark Lemon of the Harlem Globetrotters? I once read that, as effective as he looked when playing against teams that were ordered to make him look like a great basketball player (The Washington Generals!), Lemon came off as foolish in the few games he played against real competition; finding that exaggerating his fakes and dribbling high didn't play well when the opponent wasn't instructed to make him look good.

So yes, while many of you argue that Punk has the right to do whatever he wants, I'll claim my own right to hope that Punk in UFC comes off looking like Meadowlark Lemon against NBA players. :disappointed:
The funny thing is that, even with guys feeding him for strikes and holds, Punk's strikes looked like shit. Very unbalanced and sloppy with his footwork.

I don't get how people think Punk is going to compete at all. Your Globetrotter analogy was perfect. He's going to get beaten badly. It's going to be so bad, and he's going to look so awful, that he's going to discredit wrestlers (because MMA fans are douchebags anyways when it comes to "TEH FAKEZ"), he's going to lose his drawing ability in MMA, possibly hurt his drawing ability in pro wrestling because of how bad he's going to get beat, and Dana isn't going to be able to sell a second Punk fight because people are going to see it as a side show circus.

If he does another MMA fight after his first UFC, it'll be on like Bellator vs the Green Ranger in a glorified celebrity fight.

This is NOT a good move for Punk. If you do MMA, start from the bottom like everyone else. Don't do to deserving guys in MMA what Lesnar/Rock/Batista/Undertaker did to you in the WWE.

I couldn't go through all the posts as there are a lot, and I am not sure if someone has brought this up yet. There is a distinct possibility that Punk might be deemed unqualified for a UFC fight depending on who they pit him against. According to this report, Athletic Commissions from Nevada and NJ are already showing their concerns and reservations over granting a license to fight to CM Punk. They are advising him to first gain some amateur experience before they think about doing so.

Also, a recent interview shows that CM Punk doesn't really have much training in Jiu Jitsu (he's a white belt and never got his blue belt because he used to train infrequently), neither has he had any proper sparring (he's sparred with only some inexperienced guys as I gather). He still doesn't know which weight class he'll fight or where he'll train.

Money or no money, as of now, Punk doesn't belong in Octagon. With the kind of health record he's said to have, I am not sure he'll be even qualified to go through, especially with the number of injuries and concussions he has had in the past.

You cant state that punk was the one attributed for the "poor" buy-rates of the ppv. Thats the equivalent to saying miz/rtruth were to blame for poor SS buyrates. Rock didnt even moved the needle much for the surivivor series and the rumble. Does that mean rocks not a draw? of course not.

The creative, booking, star power, lack of midcard division and the product as a whole have been medicore for years. Besides the big 3 or 4 including SS, the quality of the ppv declines annually.

Punk is now stepping into a different platform and theres going to be that curiosity and interest to see a former top wwe guy to fight in the octagon.

Punk will bring that hardcore wrestling fanbase, for the very least, to watch his first ufc fight.

Compared to the Royal Rumble the year before Rock moved the needle. Miz and Truth is never going to sell PPV's.

It remains to be seen but I stick by to what I say when I say that Punk is not going to help UFC sell PPV's. Outside of wrestling no one knows him and the hardcore wrestling fans stay hardcore wrestling fans by staying with wrestling. If anything the casual fan is the one who would help sell PPV's and caual fans don't give a crap about Punk.

Simply put, there is nothing wrong with cm punk training for an mma fight but he certainly doesn't deserve to be in the UFC. In fact I believe it's disresectful to the other fighters who have put plenty more effort into sculpting their craft. As far as a first opponent goes, there is no perfect first opponent for him. The reason why is because you want to pair fighters with equal experience and CM Punk doesn't have any experience fighting people in an octagon. No other UFC fighter is 0-0 because you actually have to be good to have a shot there...unless you're CM Punk. I remember when Brock signed with UFC my friends laughed at the idea but I didn't because Brock had a fight in Japan and won. Brock had experience as a wrestler prior to that and Brock overall had the fundamentals to be a competitor, however Punk lacks those fundamentals. Good luck, Punk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back