Classic Sports Moments

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.J.

SmackDown! is MY Show
This thread is for all those classic sports moments whether they be regular season or playoff. You can post a video of a classic moment or tell everyone about one about why it was a classic moment and why you like it so much and it can be from any sport. I'll start...

Since I am such a Jordan fan I will say a classic sports moment was when Michael hit the game winning shot against the Utah Jazz in the 1998 NBA Finals. Just they way it was set up from the strip of Malone to Jordan breaking Russell's ankles with a slight push to the nothing but net shot. I just enjoy it so much do to at the time it was the classic storybook ending and really cap off MJ's greatness.

[youtube]J0rRG_GRRJg[/youtube]

This is perhaps one of the greatest Rugby Trys of all time, this was in the 1995 world cup in South Africa. This came in a match between England and the All Blacks. Jonah Lomu runs over Mike Catt on his way to the Try line. It is just one of my favourite Trys of all time. there are others but this is the first one I could think of.
[youtube]xoHL0nYlPbI[/youtube]

Great Moments guys. I remember both of them and they are both amazing. Especially Lomu's try. The fact he was stumbling and struggling to keep his feet as he got to that last guy, and still bulldozred over him as if he were nothing, amazing.

Mines not really a great Sporting memory, but this something I can always remember, even though I was young when it happened. I couldnt find any footage on Youtube or DailyMotion... so allow me to describe.

The scene is the 1989 VFL (now AFL) Grand Final. The two teams are Hawthorn and Geelong. Hawhthorn had one the premiership the year before and were going for their 4th flag in the 80's and were playing in their 7th straight Grand Final.

Hawthorn had great players like Jason Dunstall, John Platten, Robert DiPierdomenico, Chris Langford & Gary Ayers to name a few. But one tailsman of their club at the time was there Centre Half Forward Dermott Brereton. He was a flamboyant star capable of taking a game by the scruff of the neck, he was also one of the hard men of the club dishing out punishment to oppositon players and never taking a backward step when he was on the receiving end and together with Dunstall helped to form a lethal forward combination.

So with the scene set comes the first bounce of the Grand Final, a big occassion always met with a huge crowd roar. So the ball goes up and the play gets underway and Brereton runs into the centre square. At the sametime Geelong hardman ,Mark Yeates, came racing in off the square 'linin' Brereton up and ran through him with a vicious hip and shoulder flooring Brereton. In obvious pain when he got back to his feet Brereton proceeded to vomit on the field and whince in pain as trainers tried to get him too come from the field (great footage of this on the 100 years of AFL video). Brereton refused to come off and instead, still in visible pain and a bit more of a spew, marched down to the Forward Pocket where he played the rest of the game out. Not long after being collected he took a big pack mark and kicked one of his three goals for the game. After the game it was found that he had some broken ribs, a bruised kidney and had suffered internal bleeding as a result of the bump but he still played thew entier game. To me the footage of him after the bump and his refusal to backdown and come off will be something that I will always remember.

The fun for that game didnt stop there though. Geelong's Gary Ableet Snr booted 9 goals in an amazing performance, which one him the medal for best on ground, but despitew this Hawthorn still won by 6 points. In what I still think is the greatest Grand Final I have ever seen. Including the last 2 and including the fact I am a West Coast Supporter.

But Breretons show of courage wasnt alone as something like 9 players were admitted to hospital after the game. Including Robert DiPierdomenico who played the majority of the match with a couple of broken ribs and a punctured lung, John Platten was knocked out and I think a couple of the Geelong players had broken bones too but played on.

Sorry for the long story but its a game I still remember to this day.

Ok to continue on with my AFL viewpoint. This one with youtube video (if I can get it to work) This is from the 2006 AFL Grand Final, an amazing game that West Coast won by a point. This may not be flashy or showy like a high mark or an amazing goal. But I love this moment as it showed the 'one percenters' and team things that happen in the game of Australian Rules and showed just how important they are to a teams success.

Again a little bit of a scene. Two teams involved are Sydney and West Coast. Its the second year in a row they have contested the Grand Final. Sydney had won the 2005 version by 3 points. There rivarly was (and still is immense) at this point, with Sydney having beaten West Coast in Perth 3 weeks earlier by one point.

In the Grand Final West Coast had started strong and built a healthy lead by halftime. In a mirror image of the year before, but with the roles reversed, Sydney got back into the game in the 3rd quarter closing the gap. Then when duel brownlow medalist Adam Goodes goaled within 20 seconds of the start of the last quarter it was game on. Sydney kept clawing back and West Coast had to stand strong.

[youtube]jaXaywZ17j0[/youtube]

just a great bit of play while not flasy had a big say in West Coast grand final win. The smother was amazing but to follow up and keep the ball in front of him, then have the awareness to handball to Adam Hunter and then to lay the bump to put Hunter in the clear. Great play.

There is another piece from Daniel Chick later on in the last quarter of this match that I cant find footage of on youtube. That is a desperate tackle on Ted Richards as Sydney again went forward. Chick made a great tackle that forced Richards to kick the ball out on the full (freekick to West Coast) and also sent Richards into ga ga land.

Not bad from a guy who had a finger chopped off so he could continue playing.

Another classic moment for was in 2004 when the Yankess blew a 3-0 lead in the ALCS against the Boston Red Sox and allowed the Sox to win the next four games in a row to win the series 4-3.

For anyone that knows baseball knows the history between the Soxs and Yanks and this just added to it. To be down 0-3 and to win the next four is amazing as that hardly ever happens in any professional sport when a series is a best out of seven.

Great series so seeing the Soxs win game 7 in New York as a great moment as later on the Soxs went on to win the world championship. Plus you cant even forget game 6 with Schilling and his bloddy sock!

Nice call there AJ, I'm sure I would've brought it up eventually as I'm a diehard Sox fan and that playoff season was like a constant orgasm of awesomeness.

One of the big moments that always stood out for me was the classic game football game between Boston College and Miami for one of the championships in which Doug Flutie threw that classic Hail Mary pass from one end of the field to the other for the win. Classic.
[youtube]q3ykWbu2Gl0[/youtube]

And heres a classic sports moment thats negative, as we all know there is plenty of those. I'm telling you right now, my father was on the verge of committing suicide after watching this play, and me being all of a few years old at the time, I probably would've followed suit. It still hurts and takes your breath away as a Sox fan to watch this, even after all these years. For those that don't know the story(you Europeans probly) the Red Sox were in Game 6 of the World Series, ahead 3 games to 2. The game had been tied and went into extra innings, with the Red Sox going up by 2 runs in the top of the tenth coming into the bottom of the tenth inning. Two outs. Mookie Wilson steps up to the plate and hits a soft grounder to Bill Buckner, the first basemen for the Red Sox. It's one of the most simple plays, one that you practice endlessly before making it to the bigs, one of the most basic plays a fielder can do. What happens? Ball goes through Buckner's legs and into the outfield, letting two runs score and giving the Mets the win and fouling the Sox dreams for another 18 years.

The Infamous Bill Buckner Error
[youtube]sVXuwCFYiwI[/youtube]

What more classic than this??

BARRY BONDS BREAKS THE 755 of AARON, and with his 756 he is the new King of Homers.....!

While the Bonds moment was huge and very important....it just didn't have that big time feel to it. It didn't feel like you were watching something amazing, I mean you were, but it just didn't feel that way really.

True, all the "Bonds Circus" Killed off the moment, and obviously, the whole steroid scandal. Still a classic though!! Has someone heard of who catched the 756 ball?? that person should be still partying!!!

For me apart from the final of course has to be this goal by steven gerrard against olympiakos in the final match of the group stages. If they scored in this match then we needed to win by 2 goals and right in the dyeing moments of the match trying to get the last goal we needed to go through out from nowhere comes this amazing shot by steven gerrard, and as the commentator says we'd take a tap in if it came, and we got this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1haEKF86Z0

There is also his 40 yard strike against west ham in the fa cup final to take it into extra time in stoppage time...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h5er4piAfI

even though this is way before my time i remember hearing the pirate fans talk about it. anyways i am a pirate fan. don't laugh at me. haha but anyways one of the most memorable moment takes place in the 1969 world series. the pirates were bascally dominated in the games they lost. 16-3 10-0 and 12-0 and every game the pirates won the score was fairly close 6-4 3-2 and 5-2 and the last game 10-9. with the pirates scoring a total of twenty four runs to the yankees 47. the pirates were out muscled in every aspect and werent suppose to stand a chance. anyways its memorable because probably in my life time i wint see a pirates world series win. but anyways the series came down to game 7. the pirates took a 9-7 lead going into the 9th but blew a two run lead. the yankees decided to keep the same pitcher in who recorded the last out in the bottom of the 8th. his first batter was bill mazeroski and on a 1-1 count who would of thought that it could be one of the most defining moments in pirate history.

the video didnt want to work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_al6s9BpmE

That was a unique classic moment i must say. That is one of those moments that you go wow! did that just that happen? Its a great moment and one that mant Pirates fans will always remember though most wish it was the early 90's again ;) But hey great moment and I like how you went back in time for that. At Pittsburgh University they that outfiled wall at the old stadium where he hit the homer at.

That was a unique classic moment i must say. That is one of those moments that you go wow! did that just that happen? Its a great moment and one that mant Pirates fans will always remember though most wish it was the early 90's again ;) But hey great moment and I like how you went back in time for that. At Pittsburgh University they that outfiled wall at the old stadium where he hit the homer at.

yeah i wish it was more of the late 90's but yeah i cant do nothing about that. anyways being from pittsburgh and seeing the wall where Maz hit that and honestly when you walk down there it is a tremendous sight. but another great moment was watching my first good thing happen to pittsburgh. sure there was the stanley cup in 91 and 92 but i was way to young. i remember when the steelers won superbowl XL and you see all the fans and the fans that saw all superbowls said the fifth one is just as sweet as the first. I remember sitting down that day seeing the Willie Parker run and the pass thrown by randle El. but i remember where they basically had to there final four games after a 7-5 start. having the whole city behind the team where we once lost faith in. Except the loyal steeler fans. they had to defeat the top three teams in CInci denver and Indi in the playoffs and after we accomplished that feat we knew something was truly special. being the six team or the last team in the playoffs to win all there games on the road is actually a truly remarkable feeling because some cities and towns have never went through that feeling. But that year was truly remarkable because everything they accomplished thats why it is something important to me because as a young fan thats my first time ever experiencing happiness in sports.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FRyeuRojLqY

Holy Jebus, there are actual Pirates fans?!?! I thought they all gave up hope...

Just kidding.

Being a New Englander my whole life, and sticking with the theme of football...how can you not include the Patriots?

Seriously, has there ever been a sports team with so many ridiculiously classic moments as this team has had in the last few years? It seems they win every big game in the last 4 seconds on the clock with like a 60 yard field goal. Heres some for you all to enjoy (and get used to it suckers its happening again this year :D)

First there was the Snow Ball game, the last game ever played at the old Patriots Foxboro Stadium. The year was 2001 and the Raiders were 15 minutes away from eliminating the Pats in the 4th Quarter.

Enter Tom Brady.

[youtube]lpEbWb8bXyQ&NR=1[/youtube]

Next game a game with the Steelers in which the Pats won despite what I still consider to be the absolutely worst called game in the history of football. Me and my mother were literally on the verge of flying to Pittsburgh and murdering the refs with how terrible of calls they were making.

And then the Superbowl. No one expected the Pats to win, nobody,especially with the then unknown nobody Tom Brady against the MVP Kurt Warner and his amazing Rams with stars like Marshall Faulk and Torry Holt.

And it all came down to literally 4 seconds left in the game. The score was tied at 17 each. John Madden who was calling his last Super Bowl said that Brady definately should just run out the clock and go for overtime. But no way, not for this team. Brady started at like the 10 yard line and drove the ball all the way to the redzone to set up the 50 yard field goal attempt by Adam Vinatieri. And he made it. Unfortunately this is the only video I can find of that magical moment in time.

[youtube]D4dWFWUaNwU[/youtube]

And that ladies and gentleman (along with the other Super Bowl in which Vinatieri had a last minute game winning field goal 2 years later) is why Adam Vinatieri is the greatest kicker of all time, and why he will undoubtedly be one of the only kickers to ever make it to the Hall of Fame. If you're a Colts fan, be happy you've got such a legend on your team. Oh and that Peyton guy is okay too I guess ;)

just happened couple days ago, michigan vs. appalachian state in college football. That whole game was a classic moment showing that app state could actually hang AND beat the michigan wolverines, the number 5 team at the time in college football. Everyone knows the only reason michigan scheduled app st. was to get an easy win and get back into the swing of things, but it backfired on them and now their BCS title hopes are shattered

another being a nebraska fan was back when tommie frazier broke about 7 tackles in an amazing run towards the endzone

and if i knew how to post vids i would

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back