Chris Jericho proved a point

Chicago1989

Ain't it sleep first then eat?
I remember a tweet earlier this week about Chris Jericho responding to Eric Bischoff talking about how he doesn't see Jericho as a "main eventer". Jericho responded by saying IN HIS words: "Bischoffs right I can't headline in TNA...cos I'm not in my 50s."

Well after watching this week's iMPACT!, he proved a point. Instead of having the World Champ AJ Styles Vs. D'Angelo Dinero as the main event, we were given Kevin Nash Vs. Mick Foley in a No DQ Match that lasted around 4 minutes and on top of that, you got these hasbeens "The Band" coming out in the end. TNA has had a reputation for using old goats like Scott Steiner and Kevin Nash to the max more than WWE. We also had the Main Event Mafia...remember that? What does that tell you?

My question is do you agree with Jericho saying that you can be a main eventer in TNA only if you're in your 50's or do you disagree?

The Foley/Bischoff angle may be the best thing going right now besides AJ's heel turn, and it was ok by me that it closed the show. Plus, the fact that match closed the show doesn't mean that Styles isn't a main eventer. If you include Big Rob, I don't think any of the current champs are even 40, much less 50 (AJ, Morgan, Hernandez, Young/Terry, Williams). Jericho is exaggerating the situation. Hogan and Bischoff may be front and center, but the company is built on the younger talent.

the main cliffhangers are usually the main events on TNA, they did this to leave us all hanging for next weeks episode. who are hall and waltman really working for? is it Bischoff? if so why did he have them attack Nash?

compelling storylines! thats why I'm loving the new TNA!

it beats the shit out of the final segment of this weeks RAW imho

No I don't agree. Jericho simply said it as a comeback to Eric who has been known to be involved with companies that do emply some older wrestlers. It's simply a war of words. While I agree that Pope/Styles should have headlined I didn't mind Foley/Nash as at least those two can sell their moves. SImply a war of words between the two. I like Chris but honestly in this situation he comes off like a middle school girl. He's headlined WrestleMania, he's been a multiple time world champ, and is a recognizable figure around the world in two mediums. He doesn't have to answer to anyone anymore and he came off as defensive and childish. Might as well added a photo of him sticking his tongue out while he was at it.

You have to understand, TNA is in a different position than WWE. They want to secure ratings and get people to watch their product. What better way then to have 2 known names have a match to close out the show? WWE doesn't have to do this because they already have the ratings and the following. TNA doesn't and they're trying to build upon what they have so they use names as a strategy to try to draw that in.

As for Y2J's comments, AJ Styles, Kurt Angle, and Samoa Joe are the current headliners in TNA. None of those guys are 50, so I don't know what he's talking about. The champion of his brand on Smackdown, The Undertaker is about 44 years old though, so he might want to becareful when talking about age because the same argument can be used for the WWE always relying on middle-aged men. HBK-Taker is 1 of the big points heading into Mania. Those guys are 2 middle aged men so it's like the pot calling the Kettle black.

Simply put, Chris Jericho has a sense of humor. He was taking a jab at Bischoff in a sarcastically funny way. There is some truth to it in that the older workers in TNA can barely work and they do tend to take up a lot of TV time, but he meant it as a funny jab. This is the same guy that tweeted that he was going to "take a Miz", inferring that he was dropping a deuce because he and Miz were joking with each other back and forth on twitter. All this is and was is a joke that is sprinkled with truth. I don't want to say anything definitive, but at this moment in time, there are a lot of older workers in TNA and that's where the truth comes in.

Merely just a war of words as the above posters pointed out. Jericho was taking a smart jab at Bischoff because Bischoff was attempting the same sort of jab at him. Jericho's merely making fun of the fact that the majority of all the names they are bringing in are broken down old wrestlers from days of yore that should have by all rights retired by now or just faded into obscurity.

I don't think Jericho took that personally, he knows he's secure at his job, does a fantastic job in what he does, and doesn't really care about what TNA does or doesn't do. Merely just a "sit back and laugh" moment, because it really was hilarious.

I doubt like a lot of you that is was anything serious.

But I mean AJ's spot on the card wasn't anything intentional or rude and the World Champ does not have to be in the last segment every single show. How boring is that.

This Foley/EB angle is interesting and im enjoying the Band's work so bring on more TNA!

I understand your point, but remember, this was taped a few weeks ago. If you think about it, the AJ / Pope match could have easily been placed in the main event spot. For whatever reason, they decided to edit the show to finish with Nash / Foley.

I personally didn't like the match and pretty much knew it would suck when I realize that the match started with about 5 minutes left in the show. At first, I was interested in seeing the nWo back together, but I've quickly lost interest. Waltman can still go, but watching Hall make his way through the crowd to the ring is just sad and painful to watch.

lol, yea jericho was just poking fun, to take it serious and litteral, jericho is kinda wrong, dating back to god knows when, TNA ppvs have an average age of well below 50, especially after bound for glory with guys like daniels and joe as well as aj, also EB never sed jericho cant headline in tna, he just doesnt feel like jericho is a credible headliner in any company, i disagree with EB, and Jericho, Sting is the only 50 year old ppv main eventer lol

besides i am enjoying the hell out of the storyline with foley and nash, i was shocked when nash was attack to end impact

Jericho is right in my opinion. And that shot he took at bischoff was hilarious. How can bischoff say Jericho can't headline. Lets review some of the stuff he has in his impressive record. Debuted against the rock, wwe had that confidence in him. 1st undisputed champion in history of wwe. Holds a record for intercontinental title reigns. Made the intercontinental title prestigious after it was barely nothing , brought credibility along with with mysterio and that took off. Brought prestige to the tag team titles along with big show. Has headlined wrestlemania with hhh. Had an awesome match at wrestlemania 19 against hbk. My point is, that y2j can headline. He could within the 1st quater of his debut in wwe. Bischoff sucks, plain and simple. Him and hogan are ruining tna, its a fact. Its watered down people with wannabees most of the time. the good people, they dont use. tna sucks atm. sort your self out hasbeens

im gonna be one of the few that agree with you, i usually dont even watch TNA cuz it fuckin sucks, but i caught it this week cuz i was switching between it and the cavs game, and i gotta say that i thought the whole show besides (aj and the pope) sucked complete ass and that may be because i dont watch and am not a fan, but still what i saw sucked

I think he was just using a generality in the same way one might say the only way to main event in the WWE is to be roided up and only know 5 moves, or one might say all ROH wrestlers are pale skinny guys mutilating each other with weapons in front of 7 people. There is only the slightest element of truth in each accusation as they are mostly untrue.

Nash vs Foley is far from a typical main event in TNA. Their main event scene consists of Kurt Angle, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Matt Morgan, Hernandez, Daniels, Desmond Wolfe, The Pope, Abyss, Mr. Anderson, Jeff Jarrett and Sting. You can debate about a few of those guys being their main event talent, but that's the rough rotation of top singles guys.

Now you can argue Jarrett and Sting are special attractions because they only wrestle every so often. Likewise whilst Scott Steiner has typically main-evented he has been AWOL from TNA for a couple of months now. Kevin Nash got a very brief run near the top but these days he kind of just picks his spots on the upper-mid card. Foley has only wrestled a handful of matches. If you take all of these men as exceptions then I'd say the average age of the initial mainstay of the TNA main event is actually younger than the WWE's (but of course older than ROH's).

Chris Jericho himself is older than everyone except that little exceptions club I referred to, so whilst what he said was funny, I don't think there's any truth to it. The problem is people remember Mick Foley vs Sting and forget about the months of PPV main events that DIDN'T include them. It's easy to point to isolated bad points and ignore consistent good ones. Just my take.

You have to love Jericho's wittiness. He may have been responding in a playful way, but he makes a good point. TNA is providing a bigger push for the older talent. There are smaller pushes going on in the company, but the big ones are going to Foley, Hall & Waltman, Nash, Hogan, Angle. The exceptions are Pope, Wolf, Anderson, AJ, Hernandez, and Morgan.

A performer like Jericho would be wasted in TNA. He would be burried in a bunch of storylines that go NOWHERE! Jericho couldn't main event TNA because he is calculated. He understands the necessary development of storylines and the work that goes into carrying them out. TNA has no idea how to set a good plot in motion and then see it through.

Last night Foley and Nash stunk up the "main event." The haven't had contact for quite some time. If TNA wanted people to be hyped up for their match they should have built it up. This story should have been progressing for the past 1-2 months. It makes no sense to have Bishoff come out and say, "Oh yeah, you (Foley) and Nash have unfinished business...you're gonna settle it tonight." Just piss poor. I didn't even remember what Bishoff was talking about when he referenced Foley attacking Nash in the empty arena.
It was that unmemorable.

The real main event last night was wasted. The Pope is growing on me, as is AJ's new persona. It was a good match. It should have been the last match of the night. They should have built it up with a few backstage segments featuring separate interviews with The Pope and AJ w/ Flair.

Jericho's statement goes much deeper than a playful jab. It speaks to the cluster F that is TNA right now.

TNA is all about instant gratification...they want to bust with out any fore play or build up...IMO that's just a wet dream.

My take would be that he was insulting Eric Bischoff's approach to wrestling promotion, not taking a shot at TNA.

Remember that Eric Bischoff made WCW the biggest company for 2 years straight, by coercing established talent to up and jump ship in some of the most dirty, controversial ways imaginable, instead of hiring his own select roster and trying to make the best he could with them.

This is also the man who wouldn't use guys like Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Steve Austin, Brian Pillman, Bret Hart, Mike Awesome, Raven, Shane Douglas and a slew of other talent, to their full potential, because he preferred to use the old boys from the WWF constantly.

Guys who were the heart and soul of their promotions, and all round the best performers of those promotions, went to WCW and were made to look like jokes. Guys who started in WCW, went to WWF and became superstars/legends through their individual talents alone.

I bet since 2001, Eric Bischoff has woken up every night, all sweaty and covered in piss due to having the same nightmare over and over. And that nightmare consists of Vince McMahon and Steve Austin sitting on top of a big pile of money, both wearing nothing but black trunks and black boots, and laughing maniacly at him as he cries in the gutter.

Jericho's statement was a shot at Eric Bischoff's work ethic and methodology, as opposed to slagging off all of TNA. He's been in TNA a month, and what's happened? He's opened the floodgates for all the same guys he relied on before, to give them a new lease on life in the wrestling world, regardless of what happens to TNA.

Here's a good comparison. Napoleon tried to conquer Europe, came ridiculously close, but failed and was then exiled from France. He then came back, tried again, and was beaten at Waterloo, and Emperor Napoleon was no more.

Eric Bischoff tried to conquer professional wrestling, came ridiculously close, but failed and found himself unemployed. He came and went for a while, is now trying to conquer professional wrestling again, and..........

.... well based on what he's done so far, do you think Eric has learnt from his mistakes? Doesn't look that way from where i'm sat.

It's almost depressing how On Jericho is.

You all take it as a playful jab, but after reading Chris's book...I'm not so sure. He doesn't have the loathing for Bischoff that Foley has, but he does hold a degree of contempt for him, or so i've ascertained. It's not always black and white...and this is one of those scathing comments that rides the grey line perfectly.

Don't get me wrong-I love what TNA is doing with Styles, Dinero,Anderson, and Joe (When TNA isn't forgetten that they have him).

However, absent from last night's show were:

The Machine Guns
TNA X Division Champ the Amazing Red
Suicide
Homicide
World Elite (minus EY's 2 minute tv time)
Lethal
Creed
Daniels
Beer Money
Most of the X Division.

This has been the way of things since January 4th- the o.W.o (old World order) taking over TV time, in the form of Bisch, Hulk, Nash, Hall, Pac, and the Nasties. In the past month, i blinked and miss the x division. The last time i saw/remember ANY X Division was that atrocious cage match (which may have something to do with the hiatus). Oh and the Young Bucks and Machine Guns...which was a fairly good match.

Daniels had a mini-feud with Morley, but now he is gone again.

I'm worried that TNA is focusing too much on WWE rejects. I mean, christ, Samoa Freakin Joe didn't have a match at the last PPV, and Abyss hasn't been used meaningfully since before Bischoff and Hogan took over. Again-I'm a huge Angle, Anderson, and Burke mark...but still...with the exception of Styles (and sometimes Joe-like a Vowel) the original TNA talent seems to be on the cutting room floor.

I used to like TNA as an alternative to WWE-good crusiers, good women, and great wrestling. Since Hogan and Bisch have taken over the overall quality of all three of those things have decreased significantly. To say that i am worried about TNA is an Understatement-especially considering that Hogan's goal was to blow the "ratings ceiling" apart, and all he has done is keep is slightly above average.

It was just a jab, but there is truth in it.

Kevin Nash can barely walk. Mick Foley gets winded walking down to the ring. Scott Hall is so out of shape that Syxx-Pac (or whatever) had to take his place at the PPV.

The Undertaker is old (and quite boring), but to say that Shawn Michaels can't bring it anymore is hilarious. Both of these guys are miles above Nash/Foley/Hall.

That's not even mentioning Flair and Hogan, who hopefully will never wrestle.

Impact was pretty good last night, but would've been better with Styles/Pope ending the show instead of Nash/Foley.

First off I don't even think we will see or hear from Hall or Six Pac after the PPV. They only signed for a few appearances. I can understand Jericho's play on words and where he is coming from since he was never a headliner in WCW. He really isn't a headliner in WWE either.

Nash and Foley had a 4 minute match at the end of the show to continue the Bischoff/Foley feud. AJ Styles and Samoa Joe are still the main focus though. I don't blame Jericho for taking a jab at Bischoff. However, it's not like Bret Hart, Vince, HBK, Triple H, Batista, and Undertaker are spring chickens either.

He really isn't a headliner in WWE either.
You can't be serious. You just can't be.

Nash and Foley had a 4 minute match at the end of the show to continue the Bischoff/Foley feud. AJ Styles and Samoa Joe are still the main focus though. I don't blame Jericho for taking a jab at Bischoff. However, it's not like Bret Hart, Vince, HBK, Triple H, Batista, and Undertaker are spring chickens either.

Bret Hart and Vince aren't having a match. If you're going to use them, you might as well use Flair and Hogan as well.

HBK, Triple H, Batista, and Undertaker can walk and don't get winded walking to the ring. Yes, their best days are behind them, but they've still got it. HBK/HHH more than the other two, but all 4 are miles above Nash/Foley/Hall/NastyBoys/Flair/Hogan.

I 100% agree with Jericho. C'mon, TNA was built on the backs of new stars trying to make a name for themselves without having to go to the WWE, and really, the only legit star (if you want to call him that) name wise was Jeff Jarrett. THEN came the influx of WWE castaways who treated TNA like WCW. It started to become apparent that those castaways were given main event pushes and tite runs due, in large part, to them being exactly that, WWE castaways. The TNA train foresaked the reason why it was even started, the younger talent, in order to (a) Stick it to Vince and say, "look at me, I'm SOMEBODY'S World Champion and (b) they didn't REALLY believe in their younger talent. Prime example: Hulk Hogan. Hogan's using his backstage politics to influence the outcome of matches as WELL as getting his friends and pals over while foresaking the company and what it stood for. So Chris Jericho is absouletly right. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to see what's going on. You can main event at TNA IF you're over the age of 45 OR you've once, twice or three times been let go from the WWE.

Not sure what point he proved given that Mick Foley is NOT over 50 (shawn michaels is older than foley albeit barely and he is clearly superior in the ring at this point proving age is not everything).

Let us compare the ending segments of Raw and TNA. Raw has a 52 year old that cannot even take a back bump chatting up a 64 year old for a really long time. They throw "punches" with jackets pulled over there heads because one of them cannot even be touched there. Random run in and we go off air. TNA has a short hardcore match between a 44 year old and a 60 year old. Followed by a swerve run in. Maybe Jericho cannot headline Raw because he is still an active wrestler.

Why do people always say the Stone cold situation is why Bischoff is stupid and Vince a genius. They might want to study wrestling history a little more. Vince is at least equally stupid because after Bischoff got rid of him Vince had no interest. Austin went to ECW with Heyman and got his mic skills up before a couple of people including kevin nash convinced vince to get him.

I think Jericho did not mean Champions when he was stating this, but for fun I did up the avg ages of all champions

WWE - 34.8
TNA - 33.1

So it looks to me the champions are at least in age are close, I keep hearing TNA is going to push the younger guys but all I keep seeing is Old stars, dont get me wrong some of them can still go, but Jericho is right, WWE is pushing young talent on each of their shows, while TNA is trying to get ratings with old stars, with 2 or 3 young guys sprinkled in. Tna is pleading with older talent to come there(Example - RVD) They have young guys they could be pushing, but they seem to think only the older guys can get ratings. Jericho is exaggerating just a lil, but not much. Seems the older guys are getting more time. And believe me if Jericho was to turn to a free agent today, Hogan, Bichoff, and Dixie would be begging him to "cross the line" Bichoff is a big mouth, who I like as a talent, but not running the show, his head is too big, He opens his mouth and inserts his foot way to much(Example - Austin/Foley/Vince/Jericho)

You can't be serious. You just can't be.

Bret Hart and Vince aren't having a match. If you're going to use them, you might as well use Flair and Hogan as well.

HBK, Triple H, Batista, and Undertaker can walk and don't get winded walking to the ring. Yes, their best days are behind them, but they've still got it. HBK/HHH more than the other two, but all 4 are miles above Nash/Foley/Hall/NastyBoys/Flair/Hogan.

I'm not serious, it's just wrestling. Jericho has been in the tag division in WWE and really isn't doing anything now. Undertaker is just as beat up as Hogan, Flair, Nash, and Foley. The difference is that Taker is the World Heavyweight champion and Hogan and Flair don't wrestle in TNA. Nash and Foley wrestle sparingly and are nowhere near the main event.

The Nasty Boys are in a program with Team 3D and are probably done with after that. Its not like they are 50 or main eventing just because they have a random tag match. Hall doesn't wrestle and doesn't even have a contract in TNA. We won't even see him that much longer there any way.

Jericho was talking mainly about the old guys in WCW. I would agree with him if he were talking about TNA BEFORE Bischoff came there when Sting and Foley were champions. I'm sorry but your arguments are pointless since the WWE has had the same veterans in the main event for the past 5 and 10 years. Taker, Big Show, Triple H, HBK, Jericho, Batista. They have young talent too, but saying TNA is only about 50 year old guys in the main event is ridiculous.

You can main event at TNA IF you're over the age of 45 OR you've once, twice or three times been let go from the WWE.

TNA has AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Daniels, and Wolfe. None of those were let go form WWE. At least the ones that were are making a name for themselves such as Morgan, Pope, and Anderson. So its OK for Vince McMahon and Bret to be the focus of a show or even have a match, but if someone like Foley or Nash does a 4 minute match they are main eventers?

Get out of that WWE Universe, it's clouding your thinking.

Not sure what point he proved given that Mick Foley is NOT over 50 (shawn michaels is older than foley albeit barely and he is clearly superior in the ring at this point proving age is not everything).

Let us compare the ending segments of Raw and TNA. Raw has a 52 year old that cannot even take a back bump chatting up a 64 year old for a really long time. They throw "punches" with jackets pulled over there heads because one of them cannot even be touched there. Random run in and we go off air. TNA has a short hardcore match between a 44 year old and a 60 year old. Followed by a swerve run in. Maybe Jericho cannot headline Raw because he is still an active wrestler.

Why do people always say the Stone cold situation is why Bischoff is stupid and Vince a genius. They might want to study wrestling history a little more. Vince is at least equally stupid because after Bischoff got rid of him Vince had no interest. Austin went to ECW with Heyman and got his mic skills up before a couple of people including kevin nash convinced vince to get him.

Bichoff said Austin with his Black boots, and Black trunks could not be marketed, Vince marketed it BIG TIME, and its not that he had no interest in Austin, he was still injured while in ECW. JR always had interest in Austin, and was in charge of signing talent, hes the main one who got Vince to sign Austin. They both have big ego's but in no way are comparable, Vince built WWE from the ground up, Bichoff ran WCW into the ground when the money started drying up. he was only good at what he did cause of the paychecks he was cutting.

I'm not serious, it's just wrestling. Jericho has been in the tag division in WWE and really isn't doing anything now.

Wrestler of the year 2 years in a row voted on by wrestling observer, and 2nd runner up the past year voted on by PWI, I think hes doing enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back