Championship Scramble Match

Would you like to see the Championship Scramble Match return?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

DDelaware2009

Occasional Pre-Show
To my knowledge, this match was only utilized once - at Unforgiven 2008, where the WWE, World, and ECW titles were all defended in this type of match.

If it has been used since, please respond below and let me know.

I know the match as a WWE/World Title match was met with mixed reviews. Some loved it, some hated it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what you liked or didn't like about this style of match.

I enjoyed the match as a twist on your traditional multi-man match (triple threat, fatal-four way, six-pack challenge) as there can be *multiple* pinfalls and there is an advantage but also DISadvantage to entering the match later with the 20 minute time limit.

Personally, I would love to see this match return but instead of being used with the World or WWE Titles, it could be used to put some heat on the currently stagnant IC and US title divisions.

Your thoughts?

There was a hardcore championship scramble at wrestlemania 16 but not sure about any others.

I personally like these matches but I understand that any match that involves a timer for the finish can be tricky to book and execute so I understand why they stay clear usually.

I'm always in favor of new and interesting match types. When you tink about it the actual match itself is a great way to give a championship to a dark horse without making the former champion look weak. I'm surprised that the WWE hasn't made it into it's own PPV yet.

Yeah. Championship Scramble matches are one of my favorite matches. Very Unique.

3 of these matches took place at Unforgiven 2008. One for the ECW Championship which Matt Hardy won, One for the WWE Championship which HHH won and one for the World Heavyweight Championship which Chris Jericho won.

Pretty good and innovative concept by the WWE. Should have made a PPV on it and it would have been much better than Money in the Bank, TLC or Hell in a Cell.

I would love to see this match return.

there was a forth one at some point for the ECW championship hwere tommy dreamer retained and was pretty dang good.

there was a forth one at some point for the ECW championship hwere tommy dreamer retained and was pretty dang good.

Yeah. There was a forth Championship Scramble match for the ECW Championship at The Bash 2009. Jack Swagger Vs Tommy Dreamer vs Christian vs Mark Henry vs Finlay.

And agreed, that match was pretty good.

the match was exciting and innovative and it would b awesome to see it return and yes there was another scramble match at the bash for the ECW title which tommy dreamer won.

I think the dream scramble match of today would be CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Christian Vs. Dolph Ziggler

It's a good idea, but given say a 30 minutes scramble match between 6 guys, realistically how many pin falls would there be. Just the 1 or 4 or 5 different ones?

Back in '99 there was a six pack challenge at Unforgiven for the WWE Title featuring:
The Rock vs Triple H vs Big Show vs British Bulldog vs Mankind vs Kane.

IF that was made into a Scramble match, how many pinfalls would there of been?

Don't get me wrong I like the idea but too many pinfalls takes something away from the match.

I would rather this match not return. It was an absolute mess as far as booking is concerned, plus it was incredibly complicated. I always felt the rules were so strange. Someone could become Champion during the match, but if they did not remain Champion once the match ended, their reign was never truly recognized. Multi-man matches are always a mess to book anyhow and the scrambles came off as a disaster. It WAS better than the generic PPV no one cared about that it replaced the one year we did have it, but I think it is better off fading into obscurity as a match type.

If it DID come back, I would want to see it become a PPV theme so we can get rid of that revolving door of horrible PPV's that see one year editions never to return. With the rest of the year more or less set up now on their calendar, there is still a spot open. We have Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, Wrestlemania, Extreme Rules (which I want to see GONE), Over the Limit, Money In the Bank, Summerslam, Night of Champions, Hell In a Cell, Survivor Series, and TLC. That last spot has seen trash like No Way Out and Capitol Punishment in recent years, as much as I disliked the scramble matches that would have been a much better event to place there instead. With that being said, I retain my opinion that I do not want to see that type of match return due to being far too complicated.

While this was not the original theme of the post, I do want to say I dont agree with you on the idea of the Scramble as a PPV theme. In fact, while I like the traditional shows Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, SummerSlam, and Survivor Series, I think the "themed" PPVs like Elimination Chamber, HIAC, and TLC ruin booking possibilities big time and take away from the "specialness" of these types of matches.

I was a big fan of the Scramble match. It gives us something different than a traditional singles match or even the odd triple threat. The WWE need to vary what match-types they put on.

I would love to see it return. It can make a match much more interesting. You can have bigger spots earlier and bigger moves earlier because it doesn't matter if a finisher is hit in the first 5 minutes and there is a pin fall, it just makes the match more interesting seeing a new champion so fast.

I'm in favour of ANYTHING that breaks away from the traditional singles and tag matches. I don't care if these 'special' matches are mostly or only at PPVs but at least do something.

That's why MITB is, in principle, a more interesting PPV than most because of how many Superstars are involved in each match.

In WWE '12 I like to make use of multi-person matches for titles as much as possible. It makes things more interesting.

Someone said the reason they may not do them in WWE in real life as much is because they are hard to book, well, boo hoo, figure it out and put on a good match OR if they are so worried about it have a Six Pack Elimination Match at least something different. It won't make it so the championship changes hands during the match but at least it can make for some good action and exciting finisher with no definite time limit.

I loved this match it truly was unpredictable, back in 2008 i certainly did not see Matt Hardy winning thew WWE version of the ECW championship that was the biggest surprise of the night in my opinion. The WWE claims its unpredictable and exciting well lately, with the exception of AJ I'd say that is false. However if they wanted to they could bring this match back and make it unpredictable once again if only for a moment.

Yeah I love the match, I remember The Brian Kendrick being the unofficial champion for a couple minutes and was excited as hell. I think fans probably didn't react to it like they do the elimination chamber or the MITB because the usual's walked out with the belts with HHH and Y2J winning, or there was no huge shiny chamber of metal to wow our ADD minds. That being said though I would like to see another match or have it take over the limits spot as a PPV or even night of champions(IMO every title should be on the line at every ppv)

I liked the idea of this match, and I would be happy if they had a scramble match for the World and WWE title once a year. It is an unpredictable match where a dark horse can win the title without making the champion at the time look week. Was a cool concept and surprised we haven't seen it again.

i love the idea of having it for the US or IC titles but that means it wont happen because that would involve actually defending them ..especially the US title

I've always been a fan of the scramble concept. My issue with it is the same issue I have with the elimination chamber and other multi-person gimmick matches: the fact that it is FOR the title. I've always felt that these type of matches should be used to determine the number one contender for the title then you have the title match at the next PPV. Make every title match a one on one title match.

I've always felt that these type of matches should be used to determine the number one contender for the title then you have the title match at the next PPV.

You might be onto something here. The Championship Scramble matches were a mess, but if it's just for a contendership in an upcoming one on one (perhaps triple threat or fatal fourway as well) then that completely changes everything. Part of the problem is how guys like Kendrick were actually WWE/World Champion during the match but the reign never gets recognized due to the strange rules. It could be part of the Extreme Rules lineup so we get something other than Wrestlemania rematches with the title matches coming at Over the Limit, or as part of a Scramble PPV event that takes the place of trash like No Way Out or Capitol Punishment; the title matches then follow at the Money in The Bank event in that case. I'd support #1 Contendership Scrambles since it would eliminate part of the confusion, making it simpler to book and more enjoyable for the fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back