Championship Region, Fifth Round: (2) Bret Hart vs. (5) Chris Jericho

Who Wins This Match?

• Bret Hart

• Chris Jericho

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a fifth round match in the Championship Region. It will be held at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Florida.

os-gators-canes-camping-world-stadium-citrus-bowl-20160426

Starting in this round, all matches are taking place in one night, meaning all damage from one match will carry over to the next match. This will be determined by the margin of the match and total votes. The wider a margin, the more dominant a victory. The more total votes, the longer a match lasted. I'll keep these updated as the last three rounds go along.

1414330df8brethart.jpg

#2. Bret Hart

Vs.

jerichoundisputed.jpg

#3. Chris Jericho

Polls will be open for six days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster. Assume that the wrestlers are coming in fresh after their first round match.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Jericho was never the man, Bret was.

Bret is the better wrestler (not by much) and the bigger draw, he didn't lose clean too often in his prime whilst Jericho was a guy who'd more often than not, take the L against the real superstars (And Fandango).

Also, no way Vince Books a prime Hart to lose in the 1st round of an eight man round robin tournament, let alone to Jericho.

Vote Bret, because he's the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be (But will probably lose in the next round against any one else).

Two of my favorites... I think this would be an great match.

With both guys in their prime i just can not see Hart losing this one. Jericho has no problem putting over others and will be no different here. Bret is the better wrestler, Jericho kicks his ass with his promos(not that hard to do i know), but Bret never needed the mic, he did his talking in the ring. I know I would be very excited for this match and i just cant see Hart being booked to lose this one.

Vote Bret

No way Bret doesn't win this one. Aside from holding more midcard titles, there's basically nothing I can think of which would give Jericho an advantage over Hart. Jericho has better mic work, but Hart was no slouch either. And while Jericho has always been an upper level talent, Hart was, for many years, the main-event.

Hart wins this. Better in the ring and more valuable to the company.

Not much to say here.

Chris Jericho is awesome, but there's too much going against him here. I'd make a case for him if he was going up against anyone else as a means of promoting the idea that Chris' style deserves to be respected more than anyone else's, but he's going up against someone who made that style famous. Mixing traits of puroresu, technical grappling and epic submissions was how Bret Hart made a large group of people respect prowrestling.

Chris is coming off of an epic win over Goldberg, which for my money is almost as good as winning the whole tournament. You can imagine how relieved everyone else in the brackets would have been to see that a shooter like Goldberg is no longer a threat.

Bret is coming into this match ready to take Chris back to school. Bret wins, and Chris leaves this match better for it.

Vote Bret.

Jericho. Better resume, better mic skill. Still rocking out great matches and funny moments, where as Bret has taken a shit more times than not since leaving for WCW's "greener pastures" and coming back. Jericho has only gone up since his departure for his land of opportunity.

Jericho beat The Rock and Austin in one night.

And there were shenanigans involved. I knew that this would get brought up. This is an even matchup, but I'd still put my money on Bret. Isn't Jericho a Hart dungeon alumni? I feel that almost anything Jericho can and will do, Bret can counter.

Hart vs Y2J. A very good match and I wouldn't scoff at Jericho's technical abilities as he can counter with the best of them. I'd give the edge to Hitman though, a Walls of Jericho countered into The Sharpshooter for the win.

Jericho got lucky with the gimmick last round. Very lucky. But there's no gimmicks here. It's just a straight match. And his luck is bound to run out.

Jericho is known for defeating Rock and Austin in a single night. That's his career accomplishment. And despite becoming the first undisputed world champion, his reign was lackluster. He was basically a glorified stepping stone for Triple H. And that basically sums up his career. Jericho was a placeholder champion. He's a good transitional champion, but was never good enough to have an extended title program built around him. In fact I recall him jobbing often to the guys that did.

Bret Hart was one of those types of guys. He had an extended world title program built around him. He proved that he was good enough to carry the company, and at least kept it afloat through years of financial struggle. Chris Jericho was the guy you kept the belt on short term until you could find a Bret Hart to replace him.

This is a no-brainer. Bret wins.

Bret is a bitter old man.

The guy loves to get on his high horse about Shawn Michaels refusing to put him over and how he was screwed by the WWF. He had his fake belt taken away from him and decided to go expose the business afterwards when he was going to make millions elsewhere. The best WWE comedy is the Hart vs. Michaels DVD where Shawn barely remembers any events in the 90s and has moved on. Bret recalls every single detail and is still just as angry about things that happened in 1997. I've never laughed so much through a WWE production.

Bret is the same guy who refused to let Kevin Nash hit his finisher in some cage match. Ya know, cause Bret didn't wanna look weak.

Bret wins. He takes things way too seriously and Jericho can't overcome that. I doubt he even hits a finisher.

Both men are great. I vote Jericho just because Bret's career took a nosedive after the Montreal Screw Job.

Jericho is a great heel. He's also a great face. Bret has the in ring ability but Jericho would be carrying the promos for this potential match.

Jericho also beat two of the all time greats in one night. With help or without. Jericho would get help against Bret if he needed it to.

If Bret hadn't come back to WWE and wrestled Vince, The Miz etc, I'd vote Bret. His return to WWE I felt tarnished his career because he couldn't go like he used to. Not even close. His WCW ruined him too. Had Goldberg not kicked him in the head for real, Bret's career would have ended better than it did. Unfortunately, his career had a major decline, where Jericho finds new ways to keep himself fresh. He left WCW and became "Y2J" in WWE. He went with that for a while and left. He came back as the Savior to WWE. He became a heel with no theatrics and a monotone promo style that was still great. He left and came back and didn't speak for weeks. He came back again and became Kevin Owens' best friend and created the List of Jericho.

He's the Gift of Jericho. Drink it in maaaaaan.

What was the point of having Y2J go over Goldberg? Goldberg arguments in the final 8 would have been much more exciting.

I'm voting for Bret Hart, he was the better technical wrestler and delivered 5 star matches regularly while being the face of the company, which no one other than HBK has done in the WWE. I genuinely enjoyed watching Bret Hart matches over Y2Js.

Vote: Hitman.

If you look at the entire body of work, the man who was more entertaining for a longer period, and in my opinion the better overall performer the score goes to Jericho.

But if you are looking at their primes, who I think would actually win, Hart in a heartbeat.

Vote Hart.

Jericho's better on the mic, and that's it. At no point in his career do I believe Jericho could beat a prime Bret Hart. I love Jericho, but Hart is just better and wouldn't lose here.

When Bret Hart moved as the most recent WWF Champion to a company full of has beens, he never managed to break through into being a convincing top name. He had a couple of runs, but there was something lacking. When Jericho moved to the WWF having been off for six months and treading cruiserweight water before that, he managed to convincingly break into a main event scene that included Rock, Austin, Triple H, Undertaker and later Kurt Angle all at their absolute peaks. That shows that he is a superior wrestler to Bret Hart. Bret Hart was the main guy when there were no alternatives, whereas Jericho may never have been the main guy, but he forced himself into the top tier with his talent.

I voted Hart.

Didn't put much thought because maybe nostalgia, not being a big fan of Jericho till 7 months ago and just the fact that when I see the words: Bret Hart Vs Jericho... I just feel it's all Bret.

Yeah.

I understand the love for Bret Hart. I really really do, but are we sure that a lot of his support isn't nostalgia based? Let me explain why I say that...

Hart was undoubtedly the primary draw of the WWF from around 92-96. Some would say it was from 92-95 because Diesel was Champion for most of 95 and then after that, Shawn took the reigns. Anyways, though, for a period of time, Hart was undoubtedly the man. His time on top, though, was not very successful. Sure, they were still beating WCW at that time, but they were no where near the numbers that they were generating from the mid 80's to early 90's. Then he would leave and go to WCW and again, he really wasn't that successful there either. The Wrestlemania's that took place during Hart's time on top are considered some of the worst ever. Was Hart a draw; sure. Was he a good draw; not really.

Let's look at Jericho. We all know that in ECW and WCW he never even reached upper mid card status. Hell, in WCW he was a damn cruiserweight. What happended though? He goes to the WWE in 99 and forces himself into the picture with the likes of Austin, the Rock, HHH, 'Taker, Kane, and later Angle. Then there's the oh so famous event where he beat Austin and the Rock in the same night to become the first ever Undisputed Champion. Jericho's career really picked up though when he made his return to wrestling in 07 and since then he's been a constant main event player and has won several world titles as well.

They're both great in the ring and while Jericho would be considered better on the mic; Bret was no slouch on the mic. I guess where many people are going is the fact that Jericho was never THE GUY and Hart was, but again, Hart wasn't very successful as THE GUY. Jericho, on the other hand, was a huge part of the most successful period in wrestling history and has continued to be a huge part of the success of the WWE. My point is, Hart is great but it's arguable that he's better than Jericho. It's just not that cut and dry to me.

I'm going with Jericho.

Does anyone seriously expect either man to beat Andre , Brock or Bruno?

The only chance Bret has in the next round is if its angle.

Y2j in his wwe prime was everything Bret was, plus charismatic.. Which Bret wasn't.

I understand the love for Bret Hart. I really really do, but are we sure that a lot of his support isn't nostalgia based? Let me explain why I say that...

Hart was undoubtedly the primary draw of the WWF from around 92-96. Some would say it was from 92-95 because Diesel was Champion for most of 95 and then after that, Shawn took the reigns. Anyways, though, for a period of time, Hart was undoubtedly the man. His time on top, though, was not very successful. Sure, they were still beating WCW at that time, but they were no where near the numbers that they were generating from the mid 80's to early 90's. Then he would leave and go to WCW and again, he really wasn't that successful there either. The Wrestlemania's that took place during Hart's time on top are considered some of the worst ever. Was Hart a draw; sure. Was he a good draw; not really.

Let's look at Jericho. We all know that in ECW and WCW he never even reached upper mid card status. Hell, in WCW he was a damn cruiserweight. What happended though? He goes to the WWE in 99 and forces himself into the picture with the likes of Austin, the Rock, HHH, 'Taker, Kane, and later Angle. Then there's the oh so famous event where he beat Austin and the Rock in the same night to become the first ever Undisputed Champion. Jericho's career really picked up though when he made his return to wrestling in 07 and since then he's been a constant main event player and has won several world titles as well.

They're both great in the ring and while Jericho would be considered better on the mic; Bret was no slouch on the mic. I guess where many people are going is the fact that Jericho was never THE GUY and Hart was, but again, Hart wasn't very successful as THE GUY. Jericho, on the other hand, was a huge part of the most successful period in wrestling history and has continued to be a huge part of the success of the WWE. My point is, Hart is great but it's arguable that he's better than Jericho. It's just not that cut and dry to me.

I'm going with Jericho.

Jericho was never a big draw and he wasn't a big assistance in the war between WWE and WCW. He only entered the main-event scene after the war was over with cheap wins over Rock & Austin. Despite all that his main-event run was still considered a flop for the most part and ended with the lackluster main-event of WrestleMania x8.

Jericho did not really establish himself as a top dog until 2008 and even that title reign was unimpressive compared to Bret Hart's time at the top.

Bret has had classic matches with HBK and Steve Austin that were both iconic and relevant. Y2J for the most part has had somewhat memorable matches that were good but were never considered on the same level as Bret's best matches.

Vote: Bret Hart a much greater superstar.

Jericho was never a big draw and he wasn't a big assistance in the war between WWE and WCW. He only entered the main-event scene after the war was over with cheap wins over Rock & Austin. Despite all that his main-event run was still considered a flop for the most part and ended with the lackluster main-event of WrestleMania x8.

Jericho did not really establish himself as a top dog until 2008 and even that title reign was unimpressive compared to Bret Hart's time at the top.

Bret has had classic matches with HBK and Steve Austin that were both iconic and relevant. Y2J for the most part has had somewhat memorable matches that were good but were never considered on the same level as Bret's best matches.

I voted Bret. But I really wouldn't use drawing power as an argument. Yeah Jericho was in the lower part of the main event scene, and even as champ didn't feel like the main event.

But Bret was a main eventer (and correct me if I am wrong) during the WWEs lowest ebb. Jericho probably saw more butts in seats in his position on the card than Brett did.

Or do I have my eras wrong?

Sure Jericho helped WWE win the Monday Night Wars after he made the jump from WCW to WWE. Do you know what was a huge part of the success of WCW when they were beating WWE? Sure the nWo was a great and entertaining story, but it was the matches and things that were going on between the nWo and other main event segments. Same goes for the WWE when they started turning a corner and beating the WCW. Sure Austin, the Rock and others were entertaining stories, but it was what was going on between the main event segments that kept WWE ahead and Jericho and a lot to do with that. So yes, he helped a lot.

Unimpressive compared to Bret's reign on top? Really? Because Bret's reign on top was pretty unimpressive itself.

So you're saying that Y2J has never had classic matches? vs HBK at Mania 19? The series of matches he had with Mysterio a few years back? The program that he had with HBK a few years back? None of that was classic? If you like Bret's matches then I don't see how you couldn't like Jericho's matches. They work a very similar style.

I can completely understand a vote for Bret Hart, but he is not head and shoulders better than Jericho like you and others want people to believe. I'd rather watch Jericho any day of the week.

I voted Bret. But I really wouldn't use drawing power as an argument. Yeah Jericho was in the lower part of the main event scene, and even as champ didn't feel like the main event.

But Bret was a main eventer (and correct me if I am wrong) during the WWEs lowest ebb. Jericho probably saw more butts in seats in his position on the card than Brett did.

Or do I have my eras wrong?

No you don't.

Jericho saw more butts in the seats... but most of them would have been there if he was on the show or not.

Hitman was champ during the down period, but he's also the one that kept the company going until they could recover. He was putting what butts were there in the seats, and especially overseas. Some promoters wouldn't do WWF tours overseas unless they were guaranteed to get Hart. The guy was an incredible International draw.

Besides, no one was doing nothing about the down period in North America. Wrestling stopped being cool. It had burnt hot for a long time. To the point it became passe. The business actually needed the down time to give people time to get perspective again and learn to both miss and appreciate it all over.

People shouldn't blame Bret Hart for being the top guy during the down period of the 90's. No one else was going to do better until people were ready for it again. Just look at Nash. As WWF Champ, he was one of the worst draws ever. A year or so later, he's one of the catalyst's of the next wrestling boom.

Sure Jericho helped WWE win the Monday Night Wars after he made the jump from WCW to WWE. Do you know what was a huge part of the success of WCW when they were beating WWE? Sure the nWo was a great and entertaining story, but it was the matches and things that were going on between the nWo and other main event segments. Same goes for the WWE when they started turning a corner and beating the WCW. Sure Austin, the Rock and others were entertaining stories, but it was what was going on between the main event segments that kept WWE ahead and Jericho and a lot to do with that. So yes, he helped a lot.

Jericho had little to do with it actually he wasn't a main-eventer until the war was over. Don't know what you're saying in this post. It was mainly WWE having consistently great main-event story lines & WCW failing to establish new stars is what ultimately led to WWE winning the war. I mean people were getting frustrated with the bad booking on WCW's part with moments like Goldberg losing his streak and the finger poke of doom being among the worst.

Unimpressive compared to Bret's reign on top? Really? Because Bret's reign on top was pretty unimpressive itself.

Bret Hart's reign at the top was impressive as hell, he showcased some of the best matches in WWE history. Sure his era was a low drawing era but Bret Hart himself was one of the greatest champions of all time based on match quality alone,

So you're saying that Y2J has never had classic matches? vs HBK at Mania 19? The series of matches he had with Mysterio a few years back? The program that he had with HBK a few years back? None of that was classic? If you like Bret's matches then I don't see how you couldn't like Jericho's matches. They work a very similar style.

No I'm not saying I dislike Y2J's matches or saying he never had classic matches. What I am saying is not a single Y2J match is as iconic or relevant as the Iron Man match between Bret/HBK or the WM 13 match between Bret/Austin. Bret has had much more iconic, spectacle type matches than Y2J that were not only great technical matches but also really memorable. You barely see Y2J when it comes to WrestleMania highlights or highlights in general.

I can completely understand a vote for Bret Hart, but he is not head and shoulders better than Jericho like you and others want people to believe. I'd rather watch Jericho any day of the week.

He is much greater than Y2J in my opinion, Bret Hart was top player while Y2J was a top player sometimes. A win over Bret Hart would be much more meaningful than a win over Y2J, which says a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back