Championship Region, Fifth Round: (3) Triple H vs. (4) Bruno Sammartino

Who Wins This Match?

• Triple H

• Bruno Sammartino

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a fifth round match in the Championship Region. It will be held at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Florida.

os-gators-canes-camping-world-stadium-citrus-bowl-20160426

Starting in this round, all matches are taking place in one night, meaning all damage from one match will carry over to the next match. This will be determined by the margin of the match and total votes. The wider a margin, the more dominant a victory. The more total votes, the longer a match lasted. I'll keep these updated as the last three rounds go along.

tripleh.png

#3. Triple H

Vs.

Bruno_Sammartino_PWI_bio.jpg

#4. Bruno Sammartino

Polls will be open for six days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster. Assume that the wrestlers are coming in fresh after their first round match.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I almost wish we could get this match at mania now. Bruno's still in great shape.

I have an opinion but I want to see others first.

This has to be Bruno.

Bruno just went over Austin, even HHH would have a very hard time going over a prime Austin clean, let alone in as dominant a manner in which Bruno won.

Bruno is a living legend, the longest reigning world champion in WWE history, sold out MSG more times than I care to count and HHH in his prime didn't draw anywhere near the amount of money that Bruno drew.

HHH was a great competitor (heck, he still is), but Bruno is one of the, if not the, greatest of all time and should go over here rather comfortably.

Vote Bruno

Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors.

And... that's why I'm voting for Bruno.

Bruno Sammartino is the most prominent icon of prowrestling in its history. He was born to wrestle, and he was ready to be a world champion since his debut. There was never a period where Bruno left people wondering if he deserved to be on top of the prowrestling world, and there was never a time where a booker felt that it would be difficult to make Bruno look worthy of being a world champion.

Triple H, with all his accomplishments, was one of those young men at one time who got pushed to the top well before he was ready for it. That might not diminish the juggernaut that he would become, but it stands as an example of why Bruno is greater than him.

This would be a dream match for anybody, to face the legendary Bruno Sammartino in his prime. For Bruno, this will be for the fans and the fans only. Bruno isn't going out there to build someone else into thinking they might be as great as him, he's going out there to prove anyone right if they believed that he's truly the greatest of all time.

Vote Bruno.

Would be an out and out fight, between two of the best.

I just cant see HHH getting the job done here, as great Trips is, Bruno is the much better, stronger and talented wrestler. Bruno was just that dam good. Dream match for any wrestling fan, but only one outcome for me.

Vote Bruno

Let's see now....A guy who got over due to politics, who spit on kayfabe, who married the boss' daughter, who was nowhere near the draw his opponent was.

VS.

A man who could sell out the Garden being advertised that he will be reading the paper while sitting on the bowl in the middle of the ring. A man who constantly fought Vince Sr. into making sure the boys got their fair cut of the gate, even if it meant getting less for himself. A man who had a great reverence for kayfabe, even to this very day. And, a man who held the WWWF Championship a combined 12 YEARS in two reigns.....and, he did not have to marry the Boss' daughter to do it.

Oh, come on. If VKM told Trips to beat the hell out of Bruno and pin him in the Main Event at WrestleMania, Trips would insist on jobbing to Bruno. It was Trips that brought Bruno home. No way on God's green Earth would Trips allow himself to be booked over Bruno. Sammartino for the win.

This has to be Bruno.

Bruno just went over Austin, even HHH would have a very hard time going over a prime Austin clean, let alone in as dominant a manner in which Bruno won.

Bruno is a living legend, the longest reigning world champion in WWE history, sold out MSG more times than I care to count and HHH in his prime didn't draw anywhere near the amount of money that Bruno drew.

HHH was a great competitor (heck, he still is), but Bruno is one of the, if not the, greatest of all time and should go over here rather comfortably.

Vote Bruno

Most of this is utter bullshit.

First of all, Bruno went over Austin because of the stipulation. It was an Iron Man match and the case was made that Bruno would do better across a 60 minute match than Austin would. That was the decisive factor in the match, whether you like it or not.

Second of all, comparing any sort of reign is just comparing apples to oranges. We all know that the WWE of yesteryear was far different from the WWE of today. Bruno might be the longest reigning Champion of all time but that is in an era when the idea was to keep a title on a guy for a long time. Bruno might have been the most successful aspect of that but it was still symptomatic of the times. Not ground breaking. Plus. You are comparing him to a guy who has 14 World Championship reigns, 5 Intercontinental Championship reigns, 2 European Championship reigns, 3 Tag Team Championship reigns, a King of the Ring victory and 2 Royal Rumble wins. He's also the second EVER Grand Slam Champion. He was also named Wrestler of The Decade during the 2000's and in his prime.

Money is another thing that bothers me about this tournament. Big fucking deal if you drew money or not. If that were the case, Bruno probably wouldn't have gotten past Austin in the last round. Money doesn't mean jack shit when it comes to this tournament and everyone knows it.

The point I am trying to make is that Championship and money are things that are passed from person to person, they genuinely don't mean shit when you compare two guys from different eras. So if you want to use that to make up your mind, then go right ahead. But you're wrong.

The folly of this match is trying to find any sort of weakness in the game of either superstar, quite frankly. Both of these guys stayed at the top of the company for a long, long time. And both of them have gone on to have celebrated and triumphant careers that have been lined with success and accomplishment. Bruno will forever go down as one of the greatest wrestlers in history but, make no mistake, Triple H should definitely be alongside him in that regard.

In fact, I would go as far to say that Triple H is probably the best modern-day heel in the wrestling world and he has been that way for well over a decade. And the reason that people hate him is because, at the core of it, they know how good he is. He has a reputation for burying the future but that's not true whatsoever. Triple H, simply put, is one of the best ever to step between the ropes. Does he have fantastic matches? Probably not as often as he would like. But he is a true student of the game and knows the business inside out – the same tactic that he is going to use to take down Bruno in this match.

Like I said, Bruno was a magnificent name in the world of professional wrestling and I am not goin to try and de-construct him to make a case for Triple H. Instead, I want to try and point out some of the strengths in the game of Triple H that will help him succeed in the match.

First of all, he is a smart son of a bitch. Triple H should not have had the career that he did, no one will argue that. I pointed out all of his accomplishments earlier on in the post for reference. But if you had asked people back in 1997 if Triple H was going to be one of the most successful wrestlers of all time, they would have probably laughed in your face. The fact remains that Triple H has accomplished that feat. People might not talk about his matches as being very entertaining but he has, undoubtedly, found a way of winning that suits him down to the ground. He has proven, time and time again, that he is a general inside of the ring. He adapts to wrestle a match a certain way and, a lot of the time, he takes his opponent out of their comfort zone and punishes them. His ring-knowledge is so good that he can find new and inventive ways of punishing you that you could never even dream of.

Second, Triple H is a superstar who will stop at nothing to pick up a win. You've seen the matches that I am talking about. Remember those matches against Mick Foley at Royal Rumble 2000 and No Way Out? You really would have thought that those matches would have been the undoing of Triple H. But, like I pointed out earlier, Triple H has an uncanny way of doing what you do best better than you ever could. In those matches, Triple H inflicted more punishment to Mick Foley than anyone would have guessed. Triple H has no hesitancy in getting his hands dirty in the name of the win, that's for sure.

Third, for all of the hate that he gets, there is no denying that Triple H is a good wrestler. I've seen him wrestle matches technically, physically or strategically. People don't like John Cena and Batista. The first thing they did was jump on their wrestling skills and brought them down to nothing. People don't like Triple H but they do not doubt just how good he cam be inside the ring. Throughout his career, Triple H has gone toe-to-toe with all manner of different wrestlers and, more often than not, he comes out on top.

Let's also not forget that Bruno was billed at 5'10” and 265 pounds. Whether that is true or not, Triple H has a massive size and power advantage over Bruno. And I know that Bruno has went face-to-face with others of Triple H's size and come out winner. But let me make this clear, he has never went toe-to-toe with The Game.

Love him or hate him, there is simply no denying that Triple H is a fantastic wrestler and a man who can get in the head of his opponent before the match has even started. Like I pointed out, he is probably the greatest heel wrestler in the business for my money. And with the history that Bruno has with the McMahon's, you can bet that Triple H would consider and make the most of that history before the match is even wrestled. Triple H is the master manipulator and I feel that he would play Bruno like a fiddle before the match is even wrestled.

So, like I said, I am not gonna take Bruno apart because, quite frankly, I don't know enough about him. There's no doubting he was good but that was in a by-gone era and there is no doubt that Triple H is one of the best too. This match is a contest, no doubt about it.

What I do know about Triple H, however, is his spirit and his determination to get to the top. If he can have the career he did, alongside the likes of The Rock, John Cena, Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker, then there is no doubt in my mind that he would stop at nothing to beat Bruno here.

Vote Triple H

Character wise, Bruno fed off heels like H in his run. Hunter at his peak was a heel and played that role extremely well. That early 2000s was a showcase of how a slick heel works and adding a stable was just Flairesque.

All that being said, Bruno beats these guys. His whole career was built beating the big, pushed heel. Is H the Superstar Billy Graham? Maybe, but I'm leaning Bruno.

All that being said, Bruno beats these guys. His whole career was built beating the big, pushed heel. Is H the Superstar Billy Graham? Maybe, but I'm leaning Bruno.

True, but you can also argue that HHH made a career out of beating the top faces of his era as well. H is one of the very few heels who routinely came out on top in blow-off matches against superstar caliber faces. He beat Austin in two of them, one at No Mercy in 99 and one at No Way Out in 01. He's beaten The Rock in a number of them. Foley, Taker, even Cena have all fallen to The Game at one time or another.

I don't know who I'm going with yet, but there's a case to be made for HHH here. Bruno may have been adept at eating top heels for breakfast, but HHH had a habit of beating top faces as well.

Hunter was the man to creep up on Flair's record before Cena was put on the title elevator. Hunter has been the man, beaten the top guys & became one of the best ever over the last 20 years. He is even the man to bring Bruno back home after a long absence. Hunter also brought back another man, long thought to never darken the WWE door. That was Sting, another Icon who HHH beat. On the biggest stage of the year, I might add.

Bruno became the man everyone wanted him to be & beat the best along the way because of it. Hunter became the man in spite of what others told him he could never be. He did it by being a beast in the gym, a king in the ring & a smart businessman. His legacy in wrestling goes farther than the ring ropes, extends to the board room & now even to help mold the future. Bruno was legit, but he never did what Hunter has managed to do in this business.

Some heated arguments here. In a broader view, I would lean towards Bruno due to the era he was dominant. I've read where (supposedly) if you couldn't beat him in a legit fight, there's no way he'd put you over kayfabe. That could be straight bullshit, so please don't quote me. But he still looks like he could go in his twilight years. I know more about Trips, and his familial affiliation notwithstanding, the dude is a talented wrestler that can change his style up to suit his opponent or match. I'm on the fence here.

Hunter was the man to creep up on Flair's record before Cena was put on the title elevator. Hunter has been the man, beaten the top guys & became one of the best ever over the last 20 years. He is even the man to bring Bruno back home after a long absence. Hunter also brought back another man, long thought to never darken the WWE door. That was Sting, another Icon who HHH beat. On the biggest stage of the year, I might add.

Bruno became the man everyone wanted him to be & beat the best along the way because of it. Hunter became the man in spite of what others told him he could never be. He did it by being a beast in the gym, a king in the ring & a smart businessman. His legacy in wrestling goes farther than the ring ropes, extends to the board room & now even to help mold the future. Bruno was legit, but he never did what Hunter has managed to do in this business.

Marry into it?

And hhh may be a good wrestler, but Bruno was a tank.
Sledgehammers, skills, and everything hhh has might just be enough to beat Bruno,

But he's not going to come out of it strong. Bruno will take him past the limit..

Even farther than Foley ever did.

This is a regular match. No added stipulations. No gimmicks. Lets run down the advantages that Bruno will have here...

- Bruno was bigger and physically stronger. In his prime Bruno was 5'10 and 285 pounds. He was all natural and didn't take steroids. He prided himself on that. He was one of the only men in history to slam the 630 pound Haystacks Calhoun. He was even touted as the "worlds strongest man" at one point. Triple H wasn't natural, and to my knowledge has never even lifted the Big Show.

- Bruno had more stamina. He was capable of wrestling 60 minute matches and even 90 minute matches. 30 minute matches were a rarity for Triple H.

- Bruno wasn't afraid to break the rules. Look, we all know Triple H was a notorious rule breaker. That was his shtick. And fans hated him for it. Bruno's shtick was delivering punishment by using a heel's tactics against them. That was his shtick. And fans loved him for it. Most heels were not expecting a consummate baby face like Bruno to play dirty, but he did.

- Bruno was a better brawler than Triple H and a better technician. He would have Trips begging for mercy within the first 5 minutes.

Bruno's appeal was that he was stronger than everybody else and more dominant. He routinely defeated monsters, strongmen, technicians, and brawlers of every kind. Goldberg, Brock Lesnar, Batista, and John Cena were all carbon copies of Bruno. Carbon copies that have all defeated Triple H. Harley Race, the man whom Triple H copied a large portion of his career after, couldn't defeat Bruno. Bruno wrestled Race while he was NWA champion, in the heart of his territory of St. Louis, to a 1 hour draw. If Harley Race couldn't defeat Bruno, even with the location advantage, then how is Harley Race Jr. going to defeat Bruno?

The biggest arguments against Bruno were that he was primarily a territorial star. When Bruno faced this criticism in the 60's, Vince Sr. had him wrestle the globe. Japan, Australia [which included 21 straight sellouts,] Puerto Rico, and 40,000 drawn to a bullfighting ring in Venezuela. Bruno was internationally known. He wrestled all over the United States when he wasn't WWWF champion during the 70's. The NWA wanted Bruno to be their world champion. That should tell you everything you need to know about his appeal.

The other is that Bruno didn't face the overexposure rates of modern wrestlers. This is true. Bruno wasn't on national TV every week like Triple H. But then again Trips didn't wrestle in MSG or the Boston Gardens every month, and repeatedly sold them out. I look at John Cena who has been a headliner in WWE in the modern era for over a decade. His drawing power and appeal have hardly waned. So I ask, why couldn't Triple H manage to do the same?

Trips only carried the WWE when there wasn't anyone else around to do so. In 03/04 Rock and Austin were gone and Cena wasn't a big star yet. Hogan was past his prime. Triple H was the best choice. Vince Sr. purposely sabotaged Bruno early in his career by double booking him when Bruno chose to wrestle in California to uphold a promise to another promoter. As a result he was back listed by the athletic commissions. Bruno continued to charge forward and made a name for himself in Canada. To the point where Vince Sr. couldn't ignore his popularity. He brought Bruno back and placed the title on him.

Bruno carried the WWE in a time where the promotion was first establishing its autonomy from the NWA. When Bruno dropped the WWE world title, the WWE rejoined the NWA. Bruno would win the title again in 1973 following the decline of Morales' popularity. Despite popular belief, houses were down when Hogan started his super run in the 80's. Vince Jr. brought Bruno back for another run during the 80's because the Hulkster couldn't pack MSG or the Boston Gardens like Bruno could. On three separate occasions across three separate decades, Bruno carried the WWE.

Triple H might be tasked with carrying the WWE into the future, but without Bruno, the E wouldn't have excelled like it did in the past. He created the foundation that the WWE stands upon today. Hogan, Austin, and Cena simply did renovations. Trips will too. Ultimately the WWE is Bruno's house.

For his supreme popularity and remarkable longevity, for his impact on the WWE, and for his legacy as one of the greatest champions of all time I have to vote Bruno. And so should you.

True, but you can also argue that HHH made a career out of beating the top faces of his era as well. H is one of the very few heels who routinely came out on top in blow-off matches against superstar caliber faces. He beat Austin in two of them, one at No Mercy in 99 and one at No Way Out in 01. He's beaten The Rock in a number of them. Foley, Taker, even Cena have all fallen to The Game at one time or another.

I don't know who I'm going with yet, but there's a case to be made for HHH here. Bruno may have been adept at eating top heels for breakfast, but HHH had a habit of beating top faces as well.

Here is where we get to the nitty gritties. That win over Austin in 01 is when they both knocked each other out and H fell on top of him. All the other wins where due to interference. Now which H are we taking here?

Corporate H
The H who lost the strap to Hogan at 55
Evolution H

He beat the top faces here and there for sure, and since this is a regular match I am guessing they will be ringside.

Still, Bruno is someone whose whole career is to take a pounding Bruno Up and then pummel the opponent and his cronies.

Still, Bruno is someone whose whole career is to take a pounding Bruno Up and then pummel the opponent and his cronies.

Actually it was to pummel his opponent. Not get pummeled. Bruno's shtick was that he was stronger and tougher than everyone else. And that only a real monster could beat him. Think Lesnar today, or Goldberg in 1998. That's Bruno. But he held that level of dominance for 8 years. Hogan was the one that invented the superhero-esque comeback.

Actually it was to pummel his opponent. Not get pummeled. Bruno's shtick was that he was stronger and tougher than everyone else. And that only a real monster could beat him. Think Lesnar today, or Goldberg in 1998. That's Bruno. But he held that level of dominance for 8 years. Hogan was the one that invented the superhero-esque comeback.

[YOUTUBE]sX7clUL_vZE[/YOUTUBE]

Go to 6:40.

He used to do that a lot.

Again, not saying he invented it or anything. But yeah that move for fire that wrestlers use to this day came from this.

Bruno was great. I never really watched any of his matches to be honest so I can't comment on his abilities.

I did grow up watching Triple H. From the Greenwich Snob, to a Degenerate, to the Game, all the way up to being the COO. Triple H has transcended the business. He was and is a great heel. He could also get way over as a face. He's one of the few who could do it ALL. He has put on many excellent matches. He has put talent over (Shelton Benjamin, Jeff Hardy, Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, Daniel Bryan, etc.) In his hayday, Triple H was THE man.

Triple H as a heel would do ANYTHING to win. He'd use a sledgehammer. He'd get someone to interfere (Flair, Batista, Orton, etc.) Triple H would stop at nothing to win this matchup. Especially being able to take out a legend like Bruno Sammartino.

I give it to Triple H just because there is no limit to what he'd to do win.

Look, if Bruno was in the locker room at the same time as the Kliq, he would have murdered them for trying to poison the locker room. Hunter Hearst Helmsley got to where he was and is because of POLITICS! It was not what he knew, but who he blew. Bruno spent a career fighting for guys that HHH would have shit on. How many guys would go up to VKM and ask the guys get their fair share of the gate? Ryback did, and it got him bounced. Bruno did, and you best better damn believe Vince Sr. pried open the wallet.

Bruno got ahead because of what he did in the RING, not the LOCKER ROOM. He sold out arenas wherever he went. People paid top dollar to see Bruno. How many would pay top dollar to see Trips. In the end, this is about wrestling, not the politics of. Again, I reiterate, Bruno wins.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley got to where he was and is because of POLITICS! It was not what he knew, but who he blew.

This is opinion, not fact, and it's a pretty played out argument at this point. Did HHH politic? Obviously. Did he get his spot because of it? No. In fact, it could be argued that his relationship with the Kliq actually hurt him. Who was the one who ate shit for the Curtain Call? HHH. Was the Kliq even around when HHH became a main event player in 99? No. You could say that HHH got his spot because he was banging the boss's daughter, but numbers don't lie. In 2000, HHH's year for all intents and purposes, the WWE had the highest ratings that they've ever had or will have. HHH got his spot because he was good. If he wasn't good, he never would have been trusted to carry the company after The Rock and Austin, and to say otherwise is just denying the facts because of a personal dislike.

Bruno spent a career fighting for guys that HHH would have shit on. How many guys would go up to VKM and ask the guys get their fair share of the gate? Ryback did, and it got him bounced. Bruno did, and you best better damn believe Vince Sr. pried open the wallet.

Ok. What does this have to do with anything? Bruno fought for the boys, good for him. The fact that you consider HHH a jackass doesn't change what he did in the ring or for the business. At the end of the day, HHH wasn't the one making the decisions, Vince McMahon was. If Vince truly did cater to HHH, it was because HHH earned that influence by becoming an indispensable part of the company. Just like McMahon Sr. catered to Bruno for the exact same reason.

Bruno got ahead because of what he did in the RING, not the LOCKER ROOM.

So did HHH.

He sold out arenas wherever he went. People paid top dollar to see Bruno.

As they did to see HHH.

How many would pay top dollar to see Trips.

HHH has headlined a shit ton of PPV's and Wrestlemanias. So... a lot of people evidently.

In the end, this is about wrestling, not the politics of. Again, I reiterate, Bruno wins.

Bruno probably does win, but not because of this crappy argument.

Look, if Bruno was in the locker room at the same time as the Kliq, he would have murdered them for trying to poison the locker room. Hunter Hearst Helmsley got to where he was and is because of POLITICS! It was not what he knew, but who he blew. Bruno spent a career fighting for guys that HHH would have shit on. How many guys would go up to VKM and ask the guys get their fair share of the gate? Ryback did, and it got him bounced. Bruno did, and you best better damn believe Vince Sr. pried open the wallet.

Bruno got ahead because of what he did in the RING, not the LOCKER ROOM. He sold out arenas wherever he went. People paid top dollar to see Bruno. How many would pay top dollar to see Trips. In the end, this is about wrestling, not the politics of. Again, I reiterate, Bruno wins.

Hunter gets shit on for falling in love with the bosses daughter, but you cannot honestly believe that is why he is where he is today. It clearly wasnt through soaking up the history, putting in hours at the gym, learning from legends and being a smart businessman. He got the brunt of the curtain call & still busted ass to become a key part of the company in many ways. Even if he didnt marry Steph, he would still be a multi time champ & heavily involved with the backstage aspects of it all.

Oh, and Ryback was a shit wrestler who never drew a dime on his own. Half of his rants are guaranteed sour grapes and the others are inflated ego. Even he makes more sense that the bullshit you just rambled on about, though.

In regards to the HHH only being successful because he married the boss' daughter:

HHH married Stephanie on October 25, 2003 when he was already a SEVEN time World Champion. If that's not good enough for you, they started dating in January 2000. HHH won his third title on January 3, 2000. Unless they started dating in the first two days of the month, HHH was already a three time champion when their relationship started. Couple that with a King of the Ring, two European Titles and two Intercontinental Titles and HHH was already a borderline Hall of Famer before he and Stephanie got together in the first place.

The idea that HHH's success is due to his relationship with Stephanie is nonsense and always has been.

While Trips was already established prior to even kayfabe hooking up with Stephanie, I tend to discount his runs after late '02. It might be unfair, but I feel it played a part. At the same time, I also know that there weren't really any big names aside from him that they could put the belt on to carry the company. Again, when he first won the belt in '99, he was still second fiddle to the Rock. But once both Rock and Austin left, and Taker was sporadic, who else was there? But back to the topic, I'm giving the vote to Bruno solely due to the era of his success. That's not saying Trips wouldn't push the limits.

Triple H is one of the greatest heels in professional wrestling and I respect him for this big accomplishment. On the other hand, Bruno Sammartino is one of the greatest wrestlers of all time. He regularly defeated the biggest heels at that time and Triple H would be suffering the same fate.

Saying that Bruno would be out powered by Triple H is wrong as well. He had lifted 550+ pounds in the bench press and that showcases his strength. In fact, he was first recruited due to his marketability as an ethnic strongman.

I would've voted Triple H if I hadn't gone through Bruno Sammartino's legendary career as I didn't know much about him. Everyone voting fir Triple H should first go through Bruno's career and then judge if Triple H could defeat Bruno.

Vote Bruno Sammartino.

The way I see it is to look at their later careers. When Bruno was brought back, it was always to boost the crowd numbers, boost the interest and get people talking. Triple H's returns have largely been to hold the fort. Triple H is excellent, and you need people like him to build a successful promotion, but he never really cut the mustard when he was given the chance to be the number one guy, and the business was in decline whilst he was on top. Not necessarily his fault, but Bruno showed he could reverse that kind of decline, which I think makes him better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back