Can you Dig that colour commentary Sucka??!!

Capitan Gringo

The Ayatolah of Rock 'n' Rolla
Hey all, after watching the Elimination Chamber and living the emotional rollercoaster that is WWE PPV's (Really?) I though I'd dedicate a thread to Booker T and the breath of fresh air he brings to the announce table for this, and hopefully future, PPV event.

Booker proved last night that he can call a great match and add much needed insight for the audience, particularly his quirks and jibes towards the wrestlers he likes and dislikes.

Essentially I would like to know your thoughts on Booker T's role in the WWE from last night's performance. Do you feel he should be a recurring commentator for PPV's? Will he be calling matched as WM with the King likely to live his dream and perform on the grandest stage?

I think Booker T would has a future at being a great heel commentator. I am talking a Jessie Ventura type commentator. He has a tone of work to do. He needs to speak less and calm down. To be honest, at times last night he sounded ridiculous. He sounded slow with his kick outs and kept using the same lines. He has potential and should be given more time to grow into this.

However to answer your question, he is NOT ready for Wrestle Mania 27 but needs more time.

I think he is good on commentary but I wish he would stop saying a move is the hardest or highest he has ever seen. He did that multiple times last night and it got old fast.

"HE'S GONNA DO IT!! HE GONNA DO IT!!!"

"THAT'S THE MOST PAINFUL MOVE I'VE EVER SEEN!!"

Man this guy needs to switch it up... every time somebody goes for a pin he says "He's got it!" instead of something more non-committal like "He might have it". How am I supposed to take him seriously if he thinks a quick DDT and a pin is gonna win a match in the first 2 minutes?

I will say, however, that in the short time he's been announcing he already is growing on me. He seems to be getting more comfortable with the position and his style is much different than the mathews/grishim/striker's, who all share the exact same style.

I like Booker, but last night he was like a contradiction machine haha.

examples:

SD chamber match :"it's a young man's game" Lawler/Miz: can't remember exact quote, but basically said Miz was gonna get taken to school.

SD chamber: "Rey has more heart than anyone" Lawler/Miz: "Lawler has more heart than anyone in this building"

Raw chamber: "He hit that plexiglass!" (all night Cole and Mathews were making a point to say it was Lexan)

I think with time though, as he gets more comfortable he could be good on commentary. If you think about it, he went from being in TNA, to being at Rumble, to commenting a WWE PPV all in the span of about a month, so I give him a little slack. He needs some time to get his bearings.

He is growing on me but has aways to go. Imo, he and Mathews could end up being the voices of Smackdown. Josh has come a long way and provides insight into the matches he calls. Cole can leave Friday Night and be just Book and Mathews. For now, Book is okay.

Think folk need to give Book a bit of a chance. He's a few weeks in to doing something that, to the best of my knowledge, he hasn't done before. Big difference between cutting a promo and talking for two hours straight.

Book has some potential. At the moment he's obviously still pretty green but give him a year and I can see him becoming a good commentator. Think he has more of a future being heel to be honest. Not Cole heel a more traditional Ventura heel as someone already said.

Yeah, he's still new to commentary. He brings a very fresh breath of air to the table. I noticed last night he kept saying the same things over and over again, but with Michael Cole yelling the whole time and Josh Matthews there just to talk back to Cole, Booker doesn't really have much to add on to. He has to bring things up on his own and he's not really used to that, only being on color commentary a few weeks. Usually when there's a guest, they just get asked questions and answer with their gimmicky answers to build up feuds. Booker is new though so I'm going to give him a chance, being a huge Booker T fan. I think he's doing great so far though, hopefully he can expand his one liners a bit more, that would be nice, lol. He even used a few Jim Ross bits last night, and Cole commented on it too.

I'm liking the comments so far, but I'd like to raise another question with regards to Booker's commentary.

Do you think that if he was WM 27 commentator for the majority of the show it would degrade this years WM at all? I understand the guy has some work to do, but he's improved quickly, and with another 6 weeks behind the desk do you feel he would be a hinderance or a positive for Wrestlemania 27?

I'm liking the comments so far, but I'd like to raise another question with regards to Booker's commentary.

Do you think that if he was WM 27 commentator for the majority of the show it would degrade this years WM at all? I understand the guy has some work to do, but he's improved quickly, and with another 6 weeks behind the desk do you feel he would be a hinderance or a positive for Wrestlemania 27?

Not at all, it wouldn't hurt Wrestlemania any more then the other stuff that can happen, like Big Show vs Akibono. Plus Booker T isn't that bad on commentary. Just needs some work. Him as a commentator won't effect the overall show. It might actually make it better depending on the circumstances, and who else is on commentary. It's obvious people are taking a liking to him, he just needs to expand a bit more.

Book's great with the commentating. He was great last night during the EC PPV, and on Smackdown. He's got quite a bright future with the WWE Commentating Staff, so yeah, I think he's fine there.

Wrestling fans are so nit picky now days like many said here he's been a pro wrestler his entire career where a 15 min promo was a piece of cake.
But now he has to talk for 2 hours straight and he's only been doing it for like a month or so tbh i like Booker on commentary he brings a sense realism.

Like he's actually having a normal conversation not too mention his constant attacks on Michael cole is hilarious. I swear last week on SD he completely ignored Cole so lol worthy. I'm glad Booker is on commentary i have a feeling he'll be a part time in ring performer i would love to see him scissor kick Cole :worship:.

I'll probably have the unpopular vote here, but Booker T may be my least favorite announcer right now.

Now, I agree he is new. I agree a 15 minute promo is much easier then 2 hours of commentary. I even agree he's making improvement, but the Book man has miles to go. He's definitely starting to get into the rhythm of things, but he hasn't brought anything to the table save for a few cliches, contradictions and anecdotes on boxing.

I want him to do well. I'm rooting for Booker, and I give him my patience, but right now, he's not that good.

I remember when Booker did colour commentary a few years before he left and I hated it.
I was interested but not too excited when I found out he was going to announcing. He's works been alright and much better than I thought. It's not amazing and he's been caught in quite a few awkward silences but he's getting much better. I'd be okay with him being a permanent part of PPV broadcast team.

My biggest problem with Booker is that he sounds as if he has some saliva in his mouth he's unwilling to part with.

The commentary is cool. He is fun to listen to. I wish he was wrestling instead. I was at the Royal Rumble and marked out big time when his music hit. The place went bananas and it looked like he hadn't lost a step. Hopefull he gets back in the ring soon.

Crikey his repetition and lack of variety was painful, he said "did you see that" about 30 times in the smackdown chamber alone as well as declaring that nearly all the superstars were his pick to win. Don't get me wrong I love Booker and im happy to see him back but he needs to pick it up a bit on the commentary, im pretty sure that he will pick it up as time goes on.

As far as him being a heel commentator i would HATE for that to happen. Mainly because I really don't like heel commentators as i feel they sour my viewing. Also if both Booker and Cole are heel then Josh Matthews will struggle on commentary. I think that Josh is a decent commentator with good potential and is certainly better than Grisham

I don't mind Booker on color, but I do have two major problems hiterto not mentioned that he needs to adress before I'll actually start liking him (quite apart from being repetitive and slurring/refusing to spit/not articulating well enough).

1) The volume. This is not 1998 and Booker does not need to shout at the top of his voice EVERY DAMN TIME SOMEONE GOES FOR THE PIN! Really, he's going back into shout-promo mode and it shows, making me cringe and crank down the volume on the speakers, 'cause he's waking the damn neighbours.

2) The Scottsteinerisms. Booker trips himself up with his sometimes long-winded and rambling arguments, starting a sentence one way and ending it completely differently than it logically should have gone. "Rey is a veteran of the game and Edge needs to get back on that bicycle and ride it into the sunset" and such (not an actual quote, just an illustration of what I mean). At least he's not cursing left and right ("GIVE ME A FUCKIN' MIC!" - Scott Steiner's first words in the WWF), but he needs to learn how to think and speak at the same time, without planning ahead, making it feel more natural.

But, at least he is a thousand times better in the WWE than he ever was in TNA when he did commentary spots and sounded like an idiot from bell to bell. I'll give him some time and wait for him to improve, and if he doesn't :shrug: ... he could always go backstage and roadie for the guys 'n' gals.

I think Booker T is doing a great job on commentary and at the moment it's quite a refreshing change seeing Booker back in WWE, on the commentary table chatting away.

The only thing I have a problem with his is his thick accent and raspy voice. When I was watching Elimination Chamber it was the first time I heard his commentary work and a couple of times I had a hard time understanding what he said but other than that I think the commentary desk is definately his place as he knows what he's talking about and plays a great part in commentary.

I just hope the novelty of him being back doesn't wear off on me whenever I watch SmackDown or the PPVs.

I, personally prefer Josh Mathews as a colour commentor! Maybe its because I'm scottish but sometimes I really struggle to understand what he's saying when he shouts. Its really annoying, but of what i can make out he is quite good and has potential!

I like Booker on commentary, and I agree with a previous post about how Smack Down doesn't need Cole anymore, but to supplement that they'd have to have a JR or someone like that to fully complement Booker, as I would turn him heel on commentary.

Boooker T is a great . . wrestler!!
I hate Booker T colour commentator... I Miss MATT STRIKER!!
VKMc DIE PLEASE!! Triple H go assume the fckg business!!

C'mon we are less expecting he will bring who? The Boogeyman to commentate a match?

The comments are the most important to WWE, since that is "fake" wrestling, and we only buy PPV, to see the culminate of great storylines, the least they can do is getting us a hell of a team to talk about the match!!

I know everybody hates Cole, but HE IS THE BEST COLOU COMMENTATOR EVEEER!! EVEEEER!! J.R could have been great, but he has something that to me never clicked, he NEVER GETS SURPRISED!! He cant act!! Sorry, I love J.R and what he represents, but not the best commentator!!

Booker has alot of things to work on but he is really cool. I am always excited to see smackdown more than ever just to see and hear Booker. This may sound weird but when Booker is on my tv screen i just get a big smile on my face. It is funny to see him sittng next to Michael Cole and the other commentator (i think it might be Matt Striker). I always like to try to guess what Booker is thinking because he has not been in WWE for a while. I always wonder how he feels about WWE programming and how it is going. Anyway, Booker is really cool and I hope he stays for a long time.

Boooker T is a great . . wrestler!!
I hate Booker T colour commentator... I Miss MATT STRIKER!!
VKMc DIE PLEASE!! Triple H go assume the fckg business!!

C'mon we are less expecting he will bring who? The Boogeyman to commentate a match?

The comments are the most important to WWE, since that is "fake" wrestling, and we only buy PPV, to see the culminate of great storylines, the least they can do is getting us a hell of a team to talk about the match!!

I know everybody hates Cole, but HE IS THE BEST COLOU COMMENTATOR EVEEER!! EVEEEER!! J.R could have been great, but he has something that to me never clicked, he NEVER GETS SURPRISED!! He cant act!! Sorry, I love J.R and what he represents, but not the best commentator!!

[YOUTUBE]gkjhMLh1MFQ[/YOUTUBE]

Jim Ross can't act? Clown. He's had some of the best mark out moments in the business, and theoretically he already knows about them before they happen. J.R was good at what he did, but his health won't allow it anymore. He's also a great talent scout, so he always has a place in WWE. Booker T is a totally awesome commentator, and I enjoy seein him Smackdown every week. I feel like I can relate to him, no joke. His vocal style makes me feel like he's one of my friends, and Josh is the token white boy. I don't care much for Cole anymore. I understand he's playing a part but damn, he goes waaaaaaaay over the top.

I'd give Booker a chance to do it. I feel as if he could grow into the role. Matt Striker was better then him but his stuff just seems either forced or just repitive alot.

Does anyone remember the in ring promo with Trish? He seemed so not into it bothered me. Especially when he said "Tell Me You Didn't Just Say That?" there was no emotion in it at all.

Really? a thread dedicated to Bokkers 'awesome' commentary? REALLY?

The guy is absolutely pathetic on the desk and its a shame that he has replaced the greatness of Matt Striker. His commentary doesnt make any sense half the time plus he doesnt really have the kind of voice one would want to hear continuously for an hour and a half. He keeps fumbling ,repeating sentences.....lets Cole get the better of him most of the time , something Striker never let happen. Bokker T needs to go back to the ring and leave commentary for Striker. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back