Buffy The Vampire Slayer, with Phoenix

Phoenix

WZCW's First Triple Crown Champion
I had been aiming to do this for a while, then Becca's Friends thread finally pushed me to doing it.

I've been recently been re-watching Buffy The Vampire Slayer, currently I'm halfway through Season 5, so there's plenty of space and time to do this. I'm not going to do episde by episode but rather a full season review and look at the opening and ending episodes and give what I feel is the best episode and what is the worst.

Spoiler Alert I will warn that endings to the seasons and episodes I give will be given away for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Season One​

moviecovers-24944-24944-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-1.jpg

Now this is the season that sets everything up and despite it only being 12 episodes as opposed to the usual 22/23, Joss Whedon made the right decision in giving this a half season run. This was his first ever TV series and he wanted to test the waters with his product, because this was his made or break season. And it really does hit off well, he manages to create new plots and ideals and has them all keying up to the main event straight away. One interesting part about this series is how it plays on a virtual pattern that one week, it focuses on the Master as the villain, the next it will be a one off unique villain, this does provide something to give to show that Buffy is not just a one trick pony when it comes to facing the dark forces of nature.

Interesting facts to note, aside from the generic vampire fight, whenever the villain of the week is about vampires, it always links to the Master, just showing how a big a key role he really is and that despite him being stuck here, he has control over the underworld and he is as bad as they come.

While this might be slowed paced when you look at the later seasons, this is a good start up to Buffy, providing unique characters and giving all of them a good story to back them, showing them with a weakness but giving them a strength by the end. There isn’t as much selfishness and focusing on just Buffy, they all have key elements in the series and this is a good place to start.

The one thing they didn’t perfect until the second season was the teaser opening, these lasted about ten minutes and the titles come in, which does throw the episode off a bit as they could have put them in about 6 minutes earlier, but nothing’s perfect right on the first go at times.

First Episode
Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest​

As much as the first episodes always have, they have the task of setting up the series and getting it into motion, this one does that, but instead of playing the introduction as if this is the very beginning, we’re treated to an opening of being involved in a world already in motion. This gives quite a special feel to opener of Buffy, straight from the go, they’re not going to tease it, they already show a vampire (Darla) within 30 seconds of opening.

We already set up ground, Buffy’s moved into Sunnydale after having to move from LA due to her Slaying antics getting caught up with her school life, we know Whedon is on to great comic moments from where the Principal rips up her record, only to realise he didn’t pay attention to all the details and tapes it back together. We also establish all the characters defined by their school codes of skaters, preps, popular girls and nerds through the character of Xander, Cordelia and Willow, but the mystery evolves around Buffy and it gets even deeper the moment we’re introduced to Giles. It’s where he comes in it shows that Buffy is not like original heroes, she’s reluctant to take on her destiny but yet everyone else pushes her to.

Another establishment we get early on is the ‘Big Bad’, which is The Master, normally the villain doesn’t find their feet until midseason, but with this only being half the amount of episodes, the timing is good and excitement is established that the finale will be Buffy vs. The Master, a 500 year old (at least) Vampire who follows the way of tradition.

By the time WTTH ends, we’re on a cliff-hanger and it’s this cliff-hanger that leads to Buffy accepting her destiny and we have the formation of the Scoobies who will be our regular features over the next 7 years. Already we’re thrown into the mix and already the main threat of The Master is thrown out there too with his return to the surface being part of it.

In short, a great two-parter to start us all off into Buffy and it stands out, not just being a different tale for vampires and slaying, but how introductions are given. It gives energy and excitement early on in two parts, setting up 10 more to go, as Giles said “It’s not just vampires we’re dealing with”

Rating​
I’d give this a 7/10. It’s not the most memorable of episodes but sets up ground for the whole series and gives a friendly feel so people don’t get lost in it.

Best line: Giles: “The World is doomed!”

Finale
Prophecy Girl​
After the excitement of the season with vampires, witches and living dummies, we come down to this, the showdown between the Master and Buffy. Giles finds out that The Master will rise at the expense of Buffy’s life, while he tries to protect her from knowing this, she eventually finds out and accepts her fate that she will die, despite not wanting to.

She follows the Anointed One to meet The Master and they have a “show down”, which is show Buffy facing her fear of death and the Master. It’s great for suspension and we see The Master becoming the first of three vampires to bite Buffy. But he also leaves her to drown. After being brought back to life, she re-engages him no the surface while the Hellmouth opens. The fight is short but sweet with one of the best villain deaths, with The Master getting thrown through a glass window onto a big chip of wood to kill him. The gang rejoice and Buffy stands over the fallen skeleton of The Master.

Now as we’ve been expecting this ending from the start, it’s quite an interesting ending to the season, given they were not expecting a renewal, but it tells about accepting death as a destiny and the best scene shows this (Master/Buffy’s first showdown), after Buffy’s revival, she’s accepted that she died and she isn’t afraid of her destiny given that she’s died and come back to life. But it does feel like that the plan was to kill Buffy right there and then, to which they chose to keep her alive in case of a renewal. But it does weaken The Master as a villain, given he’s been hyped up as quite a terrifying villain, he achieves his role and goal, but it’s once he’s done those, he’s left without a purpose and we just accept his death from the go.

Rating​
I’d give this a 7/10. It delivers and gives a great metaphor message about death, but a lot of it is rush and this could have been easily a two-parter to explain things. But it managed Buffy gets renewed for Season Two.

Best line:
[an earthquake has hit the town]
The Master: Yes! Yes! Shake, earth! This is a sign. We are in the final days. My time is come. Glory! Glory!
[the quake stops]
The Master: What'd'ya think, 5.1?

Best episode
Episode Ten - Nightmares​
While I favour the episode prior to this (The Puppet Show), I had to give the best episode to Nightmares, purely because it was such an original and brilliant concept. A kid in a coma is able to make everyone’s nightmares come true and it wreaks havoc on Sunnydale. From tarantulas in book to scary clowns and being buried alive, this really breaks the mode because it’s so chaotic but tells about facing fear, even right before the episode breaks under way. I love this episode because it tells a lot from different perspectives such as how children see adults when they’re violent towards them and how fear can be so powerful that it becomes the thing that controls us and stops us from doing certain things. A great episode and showed that even the mode they already made so far in this series can still be broken.

Rating: 8.5/10

Best line:
Xander: [confronting his nightmare clown] Your balloon animals were *pathetic*. Everyone can make a giraffe.

Worst Episode
Episode 4 - Teacher's Pet
Simply put, Giant Preying Mantis! While there were some good focuses on Xander in this episode, this is just one of the bad ones because of the ridiculous factor, even when the paranormal is going on.

Overall

In short, for anyone new to Buffy, Season One is a good start and gives us something new and exciting to start us off. While alot is held back, this was intended by Joss Whedon and Co. simply because he could give more, so he gave just something that is just right to keep our interests, but holds back so not all the resources are used up in the early going, but a solid start from the Slayer.

Final Season Rating: 7/10

Season Two coming soon.

Fan-fuckin'-tastic!!!! Another Buffy fan on the forums. Let me just say, BtVS is my favorite show.....EVER!!!! Now on to discussion:

While I agree with most of your asessment, I'll have to disagree with your "Worst Episode". While it was,by far, the most outlandish, and pretty bad, my worst episode was "Puppet Show". The idea that Buffy needed a puppets help to assist with catching a human, is just too unbelievable for me. Outside of that, your review is spot on. Can't wait for your season Two review, as that's one of my three favorite seasons. Also looking forward to the whole discussion process.

Fan-fuckin'-tastic!!!! Another Buffy fan on the forums. Let me just say, BtVS is my favorite show.....EVER!!!! Now on to discussion:

While I agree with most of your asessment, I'll have to disagree with your "Worst Episode". While it was,by far, the most outlandish, and pretty bad, my worst episode was "Puppet Show". The idea that Buffy needed a puppets help to assist with catching a human, is just too unbelievable for me. Outside of that, your review is spot on. Can't wait for your season Two review, as that's one of my three favorite seasons. Also looking forward to the whole discussion process.

Funny thing is, I really enjoyed Sid as a character. I thought the idea of the living dummy was nice, granted it's been done in Goosebumps, etc. But I found Sid enjoyable, it was rather more not Buffy needing Sid to catch him, but Sid needing Buffy, she was aiding him as opposed to the other way around. Plus it introduced Snyder to the mix who I think should have been there from the start, but glad he was in.

But like everyone, you are rightly entitled to hate what I like and vice-versa :).

PS - I made the Buffy avatars ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back