Bleacher Report is the drizzling shits

You mean the girl deadspin found in their "tabloid" piece? The same girl that allowed them to much more clearly define the perpetrator? Sounds like much better journalism than you are giving them credit for. ESPN ran pieces with "suggestive" parts the next day. Why aren't you mad at them? ESPN hates ND :confused: sounds like a rational statement :lmao:

Give me a fucking break Te'o isn't breaking the story until he has an agent, that agent is essentially negotiating with ESPN on the story. I am sure no money changes hands :rolleyes: Believe the nothing but a victim thing all you want.

One could argue that the Deadspin article was a great piece of journalism. Deadspin broke what was undoubtedly the biggest story of the 2012-2013 college football season and got themselves a huge amount of publicity in the process.

Of course, that would be a very pessimistic and profiteering view of journalism. It's pretty clear that Deadspin exploited the story and went for the sexy "gotcha moment" instead of going for the truth. From the stance of publicity you can't really blame them, after all what sounds more scandalous: a college football player getting duped in an online prank or a college football player making up an imaginary girlfriend then killing off said imaginary girlfriend for attention and Heisman sympathy votes? From the stance of decency, however, what they did was pretty despicable.
I'm not sure if I've ever agreed with you more.

To say ESPN strongly dislikes Notre Dame is a stretch. I agree with pretty much everything you have said Sly, but that is a biased remark of a Notre Dame fan. How can you say they dislike ND?
It's just something I've noticed for a long time. My guess is that it has a lot to do with the fact Notre Dame has the exclusive contract with NBC for home games.

It's just in the way they present Notre Dame. While they simultaneously spent years average multiple articles per year talking about how "Notre Dame isn't relevant", they never seemed to mind making money off that supposed irrelevance. The way they went after Notre Dame for firing Willingham, who was obviously an inept coach. The way they constantly downplay Notre Dame...outside of Mike and Mike and Lou Holtz, I rarely heard very many complimentary things about Notre Dame. Heck, before the championship game, I watched a "Best of" episode of PTI, where they went back and reviewed several segments in which they discussed Notre Dame, almost all of which were negative, or at best, neutral.

It's just something I've noticed for a long time, as have other Notre Dame fans. I suppose you could say I'm overly sensitve because I'm a Notre Dame fan, but I'm also a Mizzou (football and basketball) and Duke (basketball) fan, and I've never felt ESPN enjoys tearing them down as I've felt about the way they discuss Notre Dame.

One could argue that the Deadspin article was a great piece of journalism. Deadspin broke what was undoubtedly the biggest story of the 2012-2013 college football season and got themselves a huge amount of publicity in the process.

Of course, that would be a very pessimistic and profiteering view of journalism. It's pretty clear that Deadspin exploited the story and went for the sexy "gotcha moment" instead of going for the truth. From the stance of publicity you can't really blame them, after all what sounds more scandalous: a college football player getting duped in an online prank or a college football player making up an imaginary girlfriend then killing off said imaginary girlfriend for attention and Heisman sympathy votes? From the stance of decency, however, what they did was pretty despicable.

Have you read the original article? Or did you just get the Internet reaction digest version?

You mean the girl deadspin found in their "tabloid" piece?
Yes, that girl. The girl who said the hoaxer confessed.

Again I ask you, because I can't help but notice how you tried to deflect the question. What reasons do those people have to spin in favor of Te'o?

ESPN ran pieces with "suggestive" parts the next day. Why aren't you mad at them?
I am. :shrug:

But this thread is in response to a letter to Deadspin, not ESPN. See what I mean about you being prone to bouts of irrationality?

ESPN hates ND :confused: sounds like a rational statement :lmao:
ESPN strongly dislikes Notre Dame.

Does it ever bother you with how dishonest you are? Does it ever occur to you just how obsessed with me you are?

As for ESPN disliking ND, I've given my reasons.

Give me a fucking break Te'o isn't breaking the story until
The Monday following the Wednesday the story broke, at least according to the plans which have been released.

he has an agent, that agent is essentially
Looking out for the best interests of his client.

I am sure no money changes hands
So ESPN should just get to make all of that money to expose Te'o's humiliation and give nothing back to the person giving the interview? And you'd call that being a good agent?

Believe the nothing but a victim thing all you want.
So...Te'o isn't solely a victim because...his agent wanted to make his client money, and thus, earn money himself? Because he told his dad a lie about the girl he was dating? Because he didn't reveal his personal embarrassment to the world in a timely manner?

It's just something I've noticed for a long time. My guess is that it has a lot to do with the fact Notre Dame has the exclusive contract with NBC for home games.

It's just in the way they present Notre Dame. While they simultaneously spent years average multiple articles per year talking about how "Notre Dame isn't relevant", they never seemed to mind making money off that supposed irrelevance. The way they went after Notre Dame for firing Willingham, who was obviously an inept coach. The way they constantly downplay Notre Dame...outside of Mike and Mike and Lou Holtz, I rarely heard very many complimentary things about Notre Dame. Heck, before the championship game, I watched a "Best of" episode of PTI, where they went back and reviewed several segments in which they discussed Notre Dame, almost all of which were negative, or at best, neutral.

It's just something I've noticed for a long time, as have other Notre Dame fans. I suppose you could say I'm overly sensitve because I'm a Notre Dame fan, but I'm also a Mizzou (football and basketball) and Duke (basketball) fan, and I've never felt ESPN enjoys tearing them down as I've felt about the way they discuss Notre Dame.

I think the NBC contract does play into it, I will give you that one. Back when the XFL existed ESPN treated them lowly due to exclusive broadcast rights with other networks...and the ties to pro wrestling.

I think a bigger factor is Notre Dame is one of the more hated college programs, and ESPN likes to cater to the masses. I'm a IU basketball fan, and before last year ESPN enjoyed showing them getting blown out by superior teams and talking about how a once mighty program had fallen from grace. I think people would rather watch a team they hate lose than watch a team they like win, and until Brian Kelly came in, they had been struggling to find consistency, and I think people liked that. As someone who isn't a fan, I will say that it does get old having the school be in the college football spotlight even in down years. I get that they are arguably the most storied program in history, but when a team is getting coverage and they are 3-9 or 4-8, it gets old fast.

In the end though ESPN is all about money, so if people are going to pay to see anti Notre Dame articles, they will write them. Going forward they look to be on the upswing so maybe it will change.

I used to hate Bleacher Report until I started writing for them. They're system is incredibly helpful to nurturing the skills of hopeful sports writers such as myself. It's a good way to get your name out there and start building a fanbase while getting experience.

That being said, there is a lot of garbage on the site, too. I dislike the amount of slideshows that pollute the site, but I am in the featured writers program and most of my assignments have been for slide shows.

After reading the rest of the thread, I realize it's not about how people don't like Bleacher Report after the first few posts. Oh well.

I think the NBC contract does play into it, I will give you that one. Back when the XFL existed ESPN treated them lowly due to exclusive broadcast rights with other networks...and the ties to pro wrestling.

I think a bigger factor is Notre Dame is one of the more hated college programs, and ESPN likes to cater to the masses. I'm a IU basketball fan, and before last year ESPN enjoyed showing them getting blown out by superior teams and talking about how a once mighty program had fallen from grace. I think people would rather watch a team they hate lose than watch a team they like win, and until Brian Kelly came in, they had been struggling to find consistency, and I think people liked that. As someone who isn't a fan, I will say that it does get old having the school be in the college football spotlight even in down years. I get that they are arguably the most storied program in history, but when a team is getting coverage and they are 3-9 or 4-8, it gets old fast.

In the end though ESPN is all about money, so if people are going to pay to see anti Notre Dame articles, they will write them. Going forward they look to be on the upswing so maybe it will change.
But they weren't always going 3-9, in fact I think that only happened once (with Clausen). They've had good years sprinkled in with the mediocre. It just seems to me ESPN has truly delighted in kicking Notre Dame as many times as possible.

I'll agree to the schadenfreude aspect of it. But I just think there's more to it than that. I think there's an inherent bias at ESPN to tout the schools they have financial interest in, and Notre Dame is not one of those schools. But if they're good for years to come, I guess we'll see how it continues to play.

For those keeping score at home. Report incorrect information based on what people with ties to the situation have told you for months, no one should wish cancer on your greedy ass. Report the strong possibility of something among many other pieces of information based on what people with ties to the situation have told you, die you greedy bastard! The lack of perspective in this whole situation is remarkable.

I read an article yesterday that ESPN had knowledge of this, but didn't pursue it until they could get an interview with Te'o. Deadspin writers swooped, did the research on what they could, including finding the girl used for the picture after 24 hours of searching, and then they did the story.

Wish I could find it. Too many tweets to go through yesterday, and everybody is talking about the Te'o interview with Katie Couric. Hopefully I will.

I read an article yesterday that ESPN had knowledge of this, but didn't pursue it until they could get an interview with Te'o. Deadspin writers swooped, did the research on what they could, including finding the girl used for the picture after 24 hours of searching, and then they did the story.

Wish I could find it. Too many tweets to go through yesterday, and everybody is talking about the Te'o interview with Katie Couric. Hopefully I will.

I saw the same thing. ESPN held off until they could get both sides of the story...or until they could make more money from the situation. Either way, had this come out when Te'o was ready for it to come out, something tells me there wouldn't have been nearly as many people hanging him for being the victim.

EDIT: Here's the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/23/s...ti-teo-story-slipped-from-its-hands.html?_r=0

I saw the same thing. ESPN held off until they could get both sides of the story...or until they could make more money from the situation. Either way, had this come out when Te'o was ready for it to come out, something tells me there wouldn't have been nearly as many people hanging him for being the victim.

If only he had found this out over a month ago ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back