Big Market vs. Small Market

Little Jerry Lawler

Sigmund Freud On Ritalin And Roids
The summer of 2010 is quickly approaching and there are many superstars that will be free agents. I'm going to focus on the head of the class will be Lebron James. There have been numerous discussions on whether he should stay in Cleveland or go to New York where he can further become a global icon. This brings the following question into light? Does the big market have a advantage over the small market?

In NBA, your big market teams consist mainly of Los Angeles, New York, Boston, and maybe Chicago. Big markets do not usually dictate success in winning NBA Championships at least in the last twenty years. The Lakers took ten years to win four championships from 1999-2009. In 2008 Boston won their first one since the 80's. Chicago got their six during the Michael Jordan era and New York hasn't won it all since the 70's.

Let's look at small market teams and their success and I'm going to include some medium market teams as well. One of the most consistent teams this past decade have been the Spurs winning four titles in nine seasons. Houston won two championships in the 90's and Detroit and Miami have won also won NBA championships this decade.

Winning a championship is not all about where you play, rather than the players that you play with. Look at how the Spurs have won their championship. They scout great and draft good players and develop their team and we can't forget about the head coach. It's not a guarantee that the biggest market can automatically get the right players for the right head coach and that does not equal winning hence the Knicks.

Chicago wasn't that much of a basketball market before Michael Jordan and after he left, he turned it into one of the best basketball places. I don't see why Lebron can do the same thing in Cleveland. He's already been to the finals once in Cleveland and if he goes to New York and doesn't win a title, what will it say about his legacy? It will be different that what happens if he stays in Cleveland and wins a title there. He's already big there and his legend will grow even bigger if he wins.

All in all, I would rather Lebron stay in Cleveland and build something rather than go to New York and may not win at all. The Knicks haven't proven yet that they want to win and will they get the right players to fit Lebron if he goes there? Only time will tell.

What are your thoughts about the big market vs. small market dynamic? Do you want Lebron to go to the mecca of basketball or would he be best served staying in the state of Ohio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back