Best TV Show of 2013

LSN80

King Of The Ring
One can go with a new or returning show here, and it can be from any point in the year. Some channels, like AMC and FX, have abbreviated seasons for their shows, unlike network television, which spreads their seasons out from fall to spring. It doesn't matter here, as you can go with a network or cable show here. You can present several choices as well, just be sure to back them up. I'll be doing Best New Show, Worst Show, and maybe a few other categories. I was thinking about waiting on this, but seeing how most shows have either wrapped altogether for 2013, or are on holiday hiatus, I figured I'd get this started now. Here we go.

Breaking Bad:I'm sure this will top many a year end list, both among critics and us here as Wrestlezone as well. It almost disgusts me that a show receives such universal praise, but here, it's deservedly so. I've never seen a show before, ever, where I've wondered "Where did the hour go?", and have anticipated the next installment so darn much. From the confrontation between Walt and Hank in Hank's garage to start the season to Walt's "confession", it seemed Walt would turn on anyone who got in his way. That's why I loved, even though Hank would have taken him in, how Walt begged for Hank's life at the hands of Jack, Todd, and their merry band of Nazi's. It was simply gut-wrenching to watch as Todd, sweet as he could be, simply waltzed up to Andrea's door, said "nothing personal", and shot her in the back of the head in front of Jesse, to inform him that things could indeed get worse. It was also crushing to see Walt allowing everyone to believe he had killed Hank, including his son, and their final conversation where Flynn told Walt to 'die' and 'go to hell.' The show went from a good man who made bad choices in order to save his family, only to realize he liked the power so darn much that he destroyed his family in the process. Further, it was nearly flawless in its execution of doing so, especially in the final 8 episodes that encompassed 2013. Walt became so easy to despise, yet there was that part of me that yearned for him to somehow make things right, and he did the best he could in the finale. Speaking of which, it couldn't have ended much better. Jesse was the only character(other then Holly) that I cared about their survival, so it was nice to see the nod from Walt to Jesse and Jesse go free. Lydia was the right choice for the Rycin, both because she was having him killed, and it ensured that his meth died with him. As good a season of TV as I can remember, and certainly, a great final one.

Justified: It's hard to believe we're headed into Season 5, as the years of my favorite TV show have simply flown by. In retrospect, it's hard to believe that Boyd Crowder was supposed to die in the Pilot, because Walton Goggins has been almost if not as crucial as Timothy Olyphant's Raylan Givens in the show's success. Some of the best scenes from any season has been the dialogue between the two, and it didn't disapoint this season. Raylan found himself saving Boyd's life on two seperate occasions, in Kin and Outlaw, yet they found themselves on opposite ends of the hunt for Drew Thompson, which was the biggest storyline arc for the season. This season proved no different, as the scene in Boyd's truck in the season finale Ghosts, where they both essentially accuse the other of being the 'bad guy' is more excellent dialogue and banter between the two. Boyd's storyline arcs were given almost as much time as Raylan's, and I found it wise that they kept the two apart until episode 5, as it felt big when they finally did meet up. The questions of " Who is Drew Thompson? "( is he the drug-running murderer from 30 years ago, or the lawman he's been since?) and Who killed Billy St. Cyr? ( Yes, Billy picked up the snake after Boyd warned him not to, but Boyd had made sure this one had poison, unlike the previous ones his sister had milked.) If you don't know what I'm talking about, start watching now(or January 7th, when it returns for Season 5), because it was one of the best shows of 2013, and Season 4 was its best to date, I felt. The dialogue was excellent, the drama palpable, and Raylan pulling the trigger is still as much fun as it was 4 years ago. The season ended ominously, with Boyd despondent over Ava's incaceration despite Wynn Duffy(the brilliant Jere Burns) arrival to inform him that he was getting half the heroin distribution in Kentucky. The other half was Raylan drinking a beer at his family home while staring ominously at its three gravestones, two of them now occupied, the other his. Raylan's life has never suggested a happy ending for him, either, but there isn't one on TV I'm hoping for more. If you can't tell by my signature, I'm a fan.

How I Met Your Mother: I wanted to get a comedy in here, but HIMYM has earned its spot. It's final season has been its best thusfar, because its rare to find a show that becomes so focused so quickly. The inherent problem with a show such as this is that the mother isn't going to be found until the last season, so while previous seasons have been funny, they've also been superfluous in that you knew Ted was going to go on many dates and have relationships with women who wouldn't be the mother, making them hard to invest in. The show has been smart to shift its focus to Barney and Robin, making their wedding the focal point of the entire season, and also the place where Ted meets his future bride. It's been funny, it's been genuine, and the friendships between the characters feels real, probably because they are at this point. HIMYM has hit its stride in a way that it's been hard at times for me to DVR it or watch it ON Demand the next day, as it occupies a spot opposite Raw. Still, the wait until Tuesday evening has been worth it, as the show really hasn't missed in anything it's done this year.

These have been my 3 favorites, although if I had to go with one, it would be Breaking Bad. Each episode was brilliant with heart-stopping endings throughout, including the finale. The few questions it left unasnwered were nothing compared to how it delivered, and that's as good a season of a drama as I've seen in some time.

Your turn! What was the best show of 2013 for you, and why? Any honorable mentions?

American Horror Story: Coven- I love anything horror related, and Coven never disappoints ever Wednesday night. Coven's schizophrenic and sadistic lunacy will drive most people nuts, but I always put myself in a mindset to not take the show too seriously most of the time.

This season's cast has to be the best American Horror Story cast ever. Regulars like Jessica Lange, Lily Rabe, and Sarah Paulson deliver as always. The rivalry between Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett is one the major highlights of the show, and the veterans bring their A-game each episode. Emma Roberts was a nice addition, as the bratty and pompous bitch, and Danny Huston's brief three episode stint as The Axeman was fun to watch.

And to my surprise, Coven hasn't devolved into an incoherent mess yet. I got the feeling Ryan Murphy (the head writer) was trying to intentionally sabotage AHS: Asylum (season 2), because the vast majority of season 2 was atrocious in every way imaginable (idiotic and nonsensical plot twists, random character changes, forcing aliens into the story, a clusterfuck for a season finale, etc.). At first, I wasn't sure about the witch theme for this season, but I'm loving every episode. Coven is campy fun with a creepy and dark sense of humor, and I'm already looking forward to the new set of episodes starting January 8th. Marie Laveau (Bassett) decided to end the feud, and join the Coven with Cordelia (Paulson), Fiona (Lange), and others. I'm waiting to see, who's going to be the first one to stab someone else in the back, because there's still a lot of bad blood between all three characters.

Bates Motel- It took me a while to get into Bates Motel, and the show eventually grew on me after four episodes. Vera Farmiga is outstanding as Norma, Freddie Highmore deserves his fair share of credit as Norman, and Bates Motel is a horror themed show, but they don't rely on tons of blood and gore to get the job done. Bates Motel is a more cerebral show with psychological scares, and this season featured some great cliffhangers. Can't wait for season 2.

The best new show for me is The Blacklist. It is a crime drama starring James Spader as Raymond Reddington in arguably his best role since Boston Legal. He is a former government agent who now is known for brokering deals between criminals who ends up working with the FBI but only wants to specifically work with Elizabeth Keen, who he is somehow connected to. The show is amazingly well done and I recommend it to anyone.

Another great new show for me this year was Once Upon A Time In Wonderland. It is a spinoff series to the show "Once Upon A Time" (speaking of which, how does THAT not have its own thread yet? I'll have to make one later) which continues to be an excellent show weekly for up to 3 years now. The new spinoff series was based off the Alice In Wonderland stories but takes place in the same universe as Once Upon A Time, and like the main series it takes a different spin on the characters that it brings in such as Alice from Alice In Wonderland or Jafar from Aladin, for example. If you have not watched either the spinoff or the main series, give them a try. They surely may surprise you.

I'll also have to agree with Mitch about American Horror Story: Coven being one of the top shows. Coven has been the best out the show's three seasons. It's about as dark as I expected it to be but the story and characters really caught my attention. Emma Roberts' Madison Montgomery is the best role Roberts has ever had, and has been my favorite character in the show, other than possibly Fiona. Fiona Goode has also been a highlight of the show, her present older "Supreme" self and her younger self in the flashbacks were both cast well. I was pleasantly surprised by the show and can't wait to see how it ends.

1) Mad Men - Formerly one of television's most awarded shows, the SAG and Golden Globe nominations seem to reflect the trend I've been noticing over the last couple seasons: Mad Men has become one of the most underrated shows on the tube. All the pieces are still there. Styles and substance on every level. Great material being performed and produced by very talented people. Unfortunately, its reputation at the moment seems to run parallel to the opinions many held of latter-day Sopranos. At a superficial level, I can certainly see how some viewers may be tiring of what's viewed as a retreading of old material. I don't feel that way. But I understand the complaint.

2) Treme - No, Treme won't be gaining the same post-finale cult following that David Simon's The Wire did. Part of that is the subject matter -- the lives and culture of post-Katrina New Orleans isn't really as captivating to the average television viewer as the crime drama hook The Wire had. The other part of the equation is the minimal importance given to plot and plot-advancement in this series. It's a periphery issue at best to Simon and company. And yet as we march towards the finale of this great show, I'm continually enthralled by the unique culture the show portrays. It's easy to get caught up in David Simon's love affair with the music, the food, the festivities, and the people. Treme continues to be one of the most impressive achievements I've ever seen on the small screen. I'm happy I got four seasons out of it as it probably should have been a one-season wonder.

3) Boardwalk Empire - While it didn't quite live up to the MASSIVE expectations people set for it before the show's first episode three-plus years ago, it's become one of the most dependable dramas on television, building to great crescendos every season. It's a deep acting bench playing great characters in a stylish, well-written revisionist mob epic that always rewards viewers for investing their entertainment time every week. The enhanced role of MKW and the introduction of Jeffrey Wright as a Harlem crime figure highlight another fantastic season of a show which is quickly becoming one of HBO's all-time greats. Keep an eye open for two of the hardest-hitting fights you'll ever see in a television drama.

4) Breaking Bad - Yeah, it was good. But it's not the best. Nor has it ever been. Now can we please stop talking about it?

5) Orange is the New Black - This seemed to fly under the radar with all the hype that Arrested Development and House Of Cards received. But it's undeniably the crown jewel of Netflix's original programming. The best binge-watching you'll do this year. Taylor Schilling's Piper Chapman is a great proxy for the viewers as the spoiled, privileged hipster trapped in this strange world. She's a joy to watch and can more than handle both the comedy of the show and the heavy drama. And that strange world I mentioned is populated by many colourful characters who the show treats with an attention and respect that lets the show rise above the caricature it would be easy for a show like this to become.

Spacy was fun in House Of Cards and Corey Stoll was a revelation. I had a good time watching it. But it was far from the highlight of the year I'd hoped for.

6) Masters of Sex - The opening credits suggest something nudge-nudge, wink-wink. The show is anything but, taking a fascinating look at the politics of sex and gender, often with devastating results. The performances are brave. The biographical story has been adapted into something with real dramatic teeth. Easily the best new show of the fall. Get on the bandwagon before it fills up.

7) Justified - As is the case for LSN, I adore this show. All the humour, tension, and unpredictability that you'd expect from something created in the voice of the late Elmore Leonard. It's a show with a lot of character that continues to satisfy me on every level.

8) Game Of Thrones - Not much to say about this. It's there and I enjoy it. Good adaptation.

9) Rectify - I'm still not sure what to say about this. It was unexpected and powerful. Well worth the six episode investment. Great performances in a moody, often-understated show.

10) Orphan Black - Tatiana Maslany's coming-out party. A tense, urgent romp. Maslany playing clones playing other clones provided endless smiles. Can't wait for season two.

Honourable mentions for Homeland (it's getting a raw deal from viewers this season; I still love it), Hannibal, and Broadchurch.

It's a show that I hope LSN is going to be able to speak about more as I am only up to season 4 of it, but as that season came to UK Netflix this year I'm gonna include it as a 2013 show - The League.

When I was first told about it, I thought it sounded like a fairly dry and run of the mill comedy and wasn't that bothered about watching it. Then, quite coincidentally, a friend posted a Jon LaJoie video on Facebook the same day that the 4th season arrived on Netflix and boosted the show as a 'New Release'.

The loose premise of the show (6 acquaintances have a fantasy football league and torment each other mercilessly) gives the writers and actors a hell of a lot of scope to play with and means they can introduce completely insane characters and plots without them feeling totally out of place.

It's a show that I feel I would appreciate much more if I was a big American Football fan, took part in fantasy football and could watch when it was originally broadcast, but those shortfalls are minimal compared to the joy of someone declaring, completely straight-faced, that they have a murder boner.

I personally think Breaking Bad is overrated, but I digress.

I absolutely love Once Upon A Time and the spinoff with Wonderland. Great writing and characters that make the story flow keep the show entertaining. Not too much action, but they don't need a lot in this show.

As for Wonderland, Naveen Andrews is awesome as Jafar. Him and Alice pretty much make the show for me. The Naive is funny, and the Queen gets better with each episode.

Agents of Shield has been underwhelming, but still a good show. There's no consistent plot, but the show does what it's supposed to. Shows us how this rag team of differing personalities get along and complete missions with Coulson leading the charge. It's gotten better with each passing episode.

The Walking Dead has been good this season after an abysmal 3rd season and subpar 2nd season. If they had use the recent Prison Showdown to end Season 3, this show would be close to the top of my list. I see they're starting to follow the comics and I love the Walking Dead comics.

Here are my Top 3 so far:

Game of Thrones

My favorite show on TV by far. The character development, the interesting characters, the action, the attention to detail, the overall mood of the show, and the fact that they aren't afraid to kill off main characters (following the book, but still). This show has it all. I feel like people look down on this show because people these days look for realism in their shows, rather than fantasy. I believe in suspending disbelief and enjoying a good show. Game of Thrones excels in so many aspects.

Still stunned how The Red Wedding didn't take Home an Emmy. I was left speechless for about 5 minutes after the episode ended.

Homeland

Season 1 was probably one of the greatest pieces of TV in a while. Episodes had a consistent pace, great characters you could invest in and be interested in how they progress, the plot, and how it slowly built up to something enormous. You couldn't tell right away, but you knew it was building to something huge in the end.

I agree the show has declined a little bit, but people are taking it to new levels of absurdity. The whole double agent, change of mood, Carrie's unstable behavior, etc. can be hard to grasp, but it makes for great television. The Brody/Carrie interactions really drove the plot as well. Saul makes an excellent voice of reason and Father figure to Carrie. So much about the show is so good, that it outweighs the bad.

On a side note, Season 3 ended really well. It felt more like a series finale than a season finale. It also seems like they're wiping the slate clean and starting fresh.

Say what you want about Homeland, but they delivered on ALL 3 Season Finales.

Sleepy Hollow

Shocked nobody has mentioned this.

This show has become one of my favorites. I like that they took the Sleepy Hollow legend and dropped it into modern times and forge a realistic approach to it despite the fantasy aspect.

The dark tone, the plot is simple, but effective and the chemistry between Crane and Abbie is flawless. I know some people many not like the humanization of the Horseman, but I like that he actually has a reason to kill Crane rather than him being a broadaxe wielding Giant.

This show blends Fantasy and Realism so well. And the characters power the show even more. Crane has grown, and Abbie has grown.

As you can tell, I like a show where the characters are interesting, and I can invest in them and see how they develop. The plot and show go only as the characters go.

The plot of a show can be interesting, but if the characters aren't interesting enough to sell me on the plot, I'll lose interest in the show.

Shows I still have yet to watch:

Boardwalk Empire
The Newsroom
Arrow
Sons of Anarchy

I REALLY want to start watching these, but I work all the time and can't find the time. I'm gonna try and start watching these shows when I can.

I'll get in on the action.

Modern Family: If there's a comedy worth mentioning, then it has to be Modern Family. There's really nothing bad to say about this show. The concept is just so...simple. You have a modern family and we see a day in the life of them and well, it's been a joy to watch. From Phil's craziness to the adventures of Mitch and Cam, it's all been fun.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine: I almost gave up on this show but I'm glad I didn't. Andy Samberg is the lead here and while he does fall flat at times, it's pretty enjoyable overall. We have Terry Crews on this show as well so that should say something because the character he plays is pretty funny to me. Give this show a try and stick it out til the latest episode and you won't be disappointed.

Person of Interest: This show got real good real fast. Jim Caviezel has been one hell of an actor even if at times he seems monotone in the way he speaks. This show's premise interested me a whole lot from the beginning and while it seemed to just be going through the motions in the earlier seasons, it's really picked up in 2013. If you're looking for action, some humor, and some flat out interesting stuff, watch this show. It's been very enjoyable this season and well, Sarah Shahi becoming a regular helps too ;)

Bates Motel- It took me a while to get into Bates Motel, and the show eventually grew on me after four episodes. Vera Farmiga is outstanding as Norma, Freddie Highmore deserves his fair share of credit as Norman, and Bates Motel is a horror themed show, but they don't rely on tons of blood and gore to get the job done. Bates Motel is a more cerebral show with psychological scares, and this season featured some great cliffhangers. Can't wait for season 2.
I liked this show as well, which is hard for me to admit, because I don't like any of the stuff A&E usually puts out. But Vera Farmiga was wonderful as Norma, and deserved her nomination for Best Actress(and rightfully didn't win as well).The creepy dynamic between her and Norman as a near-incestuous mother and son was excellent, and got creepier as the season went on. I felt the character development was solid throughout the season, and while it wasn't a show I ever watched live, I always caught it online or OnDemand. Jere Burns was a delight as the creepy villian for Season 1, and Max Theriot was a welcome addition as Norman's brother who tried to drive a wedge between he and Norma. It was an interesting new show, and Season 2 should have much more in terms of character development, especially with how they ended Season 1.

5) Orange is the New Black - This seemed to fly under the radar with all the hype that Arrested Development and House Of Cards received.
I agree, which is a shame. Had I gone one show further with my list, this would certainly be on it. Taylor Schilling is delightful as Piper, a woman living the high life when a crime from her past catches up with her, and she winds up incarcerated with her former lover, Laura Prepon's Alex, but the show doesn't touch much on that relationship. Rather, the focus is on Piper's ability to fit in with her 'interesting' cellmates, who are the real stars of the show. I don't know how true to reality this show is, but it feels real.

7) Justified - As is the case for LSN, I adore this show. All the humour, tension, and unpredictability that you'd expect from something created in the voice of the late Elmore Leonard. It's a show with a lot of character that continues to satisfy me on every level.
What makes this show so special, among other things, is its ability to mix humour and tension into the same scene. I read an interview with Timothy Olyphant where he said he feels they " fail" if they don't deliver humour into even the most terse of situations. Well, they don't fail much.

8) Game Of Thrones - Not much to say about this. It's there and I enjoy it. Good adaptation.
I didn't read the books, but I also really like this show. It's not something I thought I would enjoy, but I gave it a shot. After three seasons, I 'm hooked.

It's a show that I hope LSN is going to be able to speak about more as I am only up to season 4 of it, but as that season came to UK Netflix this year I'm gonna include it as a 2013 show - The League.

When I was first told about it, I thought it sounded like a fairly dry and run of the mill comedy and wasn't that bothered about watching it. Then, quite coincidentally, a friend posted a Jon LaJoie video on Facebook the same day that the 4th season arrived on Netflix and boosted the show as a 'New Release'.
It's just a hilarious dark comedy, and Season 5 actually came out this year, so 2013 works. Where the League is at its best is when they're tormenting each other, especially the jokes of Kevin and Pete being married, Ruxin being the worst person alive(which he pretty much is), Andre having no social awareness, and Taco being absolutely clueless yet incredibly successful both with women and creating money-making businesses, such as selling DallasCowboys.com to Jerry Jones for a million dollars, believing that 'Security' is a pro football team, or his version of Netflix, Neckflix, which sends you ties to wear when you return the previous ones you ordered. It's his ineptness that drives the show in many ways. Season 5 this year was a bit of a letdown, as most of the season felt like some of the same recycled jokes from before, although the Season Finale itself redeemed the season in its hilarious irreverence, especially inside the church in the show's final scene of the season.

Sons of Anarchy

I REALLY want to start watching these, but I work all the time and can't find the time. I'm gonna try and start watching these shows when I can.
If you're talking about the entire series, I'd recommend it overall, but if you're just referring to Season 6, skip it and thank me later. I think it was bold in what Kurt Sutter did with some of his main characters, but how he got there was just awful. And my goodness, the only thing worse then a bad show is a boring one filled with people talking about their feelings over and over and over, which is what much of Season 6 is. I'll watch season 7 because it's the final season, but if it wasn't, I'd likely throw in the towel.

The Simpsons
I know a lot of people don't like the newer stuff but it's still my all time favorite show and there are still quite a few funny things in the newer episodes. I can't picture myself not liking the show ever.

Bob's Burgers
I feel like it's a very underrated show. Hardly anyone I know likes it but I think it's super funny. I hope it sticks around for a long time.

Family Guy and American Dad
I'll just put these two together. Outside of Brian being killed on Family Guy I still really like the show. It's kind of like The Simpsons where I see it get a lot of hate but it's still better than a lot of other shows that are out there. As far as American Dad it's another one that I really like that most people I know don't like.

Big Bang Theory
This is the only sitcom I watch anymore. Another show that is starting to get cool to hate but I think the cast is great and I think it's still a strong show.

That's all I watch if you don't count wrestling and sports and I like them all equally. So they are all my top shows of 2013.

The best new show for me is The Blacklist.

Completely agree. I love the way the writers are letting out information as to why the lead character is doing what he's doing a little at a time. The concept of the show is so far out that I wonder if anyone but James Spader could make it believable. Yet, he's as compelling a figure in this series as he was during "Boston Legal." He drives the show, just as his character drives everything that's going on around him, much to the chagrin of the long-established FBI agents who, for the first time in their professional existence, are forced to go along with the directives of someone outside their agency. Amazing idea, done amazingly well.

For a long term series, my favorite of all time is "True Blood," which I still watch with my emotions rising and falling with the ebb and flow of what's going on. If you tried the show a few years ago and didn't like it, I can say that it takes a while to know and understand the characters; once you do, it's hard to turn away. Personally, I was hooked from the first episode. It's the only boxed DVD set for a TV series I've ever bought.....and I own all five seasons currently available.

Vampire Eric might be my favorite screen character of all time. Put it this way; if he were a wrestler, he'd be Drew McIntyre.

'Nuff said.

Here are my three choices:

1) Arrested Development Season 4: I honestly have no clue how most people thought that this latest season wasn't just as brilliant as the previous three. Most of AD's cast have gone on to much bigger things and had hectic schedules when filming for this season began yet Mitchell Hurwitz was still able to concoct an innovative, new take on the show. This is the one case where "if it ain't broke don't fix it" should not apply. Hurwitz revolutionized the sitcom with AD's first three seasons and did so yet again with this past season. The only true difference between AD now and approximately 10 years ago is that it now doesn't have to worry about living in the shadows of The Sopranos or The Wire. It was this year's greatest show, period.

2) The League: Another fantastic season from the cult show that never regresses. If only I could say the same thing for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia...man, that show has really gone downhill.

3) Mom: This is the only show involving Chuck Lorre that I consider to be an excellent. Mom is, justifiably, not for everyone, but this is as dark as American humor gets. Mom reminds me of the underrated Observe and Report and of a little known BBC sitcom called Nighty Night (Mom will never get as dark as the latter, though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back