Best Theme Songs

SSJPhenom

The Phenom of WZ
Hey everyone. So I was watching a movie with one of those brilliant musical themes and it got me thinking. What are some of the best theme songs ever and which ones do others enjoy? This thread is going to be dedicated to musical themes from all walks of entertainment. If you have one that you'd like to share, post it and tell us why you like it. It can be instrumental, synthetic, a song with words, any theme song that's associated with anything. It can be from tv, a cartoon, the radio, a movie, anything.

My first selection is my favorite cartoon theme of all time:

[YOUTUBE]VxOQTaLTFrU[/YOUTUBE]

This completely ruled my childhood and even today when I hear it I get all excited and pumped. It's one of the greatest themes ever and IMO it had a lot to do with why the X-Men cartoon became so popular. It's just awesome.

I'll see your awesome X-Men and raise you the equally good Spider-Man:

[YOUTUBE]DZGN9fZvQhc[/YOUTUBE]

I adore X-Men, but Spider-Man is my favorite superhero so this song made me want to put on a mask and climb walls every Saturday. That may or may not sound like I wanted to break into people's homes.

Oh, and of course there's this:

[YOUTUBE]IYJUHaoNK6w[/YOUTUBE]

To this day, no wrestling show theme song gets my blood pumping the way this song does. As soon as that guitar screeches and Austin walks in front of that explosion, I just wanted to rip my shirt off and start punching and suplexing everything in the room.

I'll see your awesome X-Men and raise you the equally good Spider-Man:

[YOUTUBE]DZGN9fZvQhc[/YOUTUBE]

I adore X-Men, but Spider-Man is my favorite superhero so this song made me want to put on a mask and climb walls every Saturday. That may or may not sound like I wanted to break into people's homes.

I raise you guys Batman

[YOUTUBE]-XJ3HJXxDwc[/YOUTUBE]

This theme was epic. As a kid I wasn't really that into orchestral type stuff but this intro was the exception. It was so grand it made me want to see what Batman would do that episode.

And if you don't like orchestral stuff that much Batman has you covered AGAIN

[YOUTUBE]ThInUu7Rg0g[/YOUTUBE]

I fucking love this theme. Like so much. Going from orchestral which is old school and classic to a more modern type theme just worked. The theme would have worked well as a classic orchestral style piece but the techno feel worked better, especially for the story of a new Batman. Batman was updated, the suit was updated and the theme was updated.

It Follows' main theme works as a perfect background theme during the scenes, with Jay and others driving around and looking for Hugh, and Jay watching, as It stalks her or when the entity is just watching her. It Follows has this distinct creepy aura, and the main theme is a perfect tie-in, especially during the scenes, where you can kind of zone out and just listen to the music without missing anything important in the movie:

[YOUTUBE]i1QwC-y3XMc[/YOUTUBE]

It's not as popular or as high profiled as Carrie, The Shining, Pet Sematary, or Misery, (or if we're talking about more recent or modern adaptations, Under The Dome and The Mist), because Christine (1983) is one of the more obscure Stephen King adaptations. The movie has its hammy moments, when Keith Gordon goes on his bizarre tirades, but overall Christine is definitely one of the hidden gems for Stephen King adaptations, and it's an 80's horror film directed by John Carpenter, so you know you're going to get something out of it.

Christine has a top notch soundtrack, and some excellent themes from Carpenter and Alan Howarth. More of the same for what I said about It Follows, but it's another theme that really works as good background music and a good tie-in, it's not a big distraction, and it's not overwhelming. It's one of my favorite horror themes, and Christine's main theme is a perfect fit, when Christine is on fire and chasing Buddy down the streets at night before Christine inevitably runs him over and kills him:

[YOUTUBE]R5mF_fh1HXs[/YOUTUBE]

Here is my favorite movie theme of all time:

[YOUTUBE]XcNXq5DUZnk[/YOUTUBE]

This theme is just awesome. It perfectly captures the dread and somber tone of the Terminator franchise. It gives me chills when I hear it. As it goes on it gets more and more serious and the clanking of metal in the background is awesome. I just love this theme.

Agreed on all points for the Judgment Day theme, but I still prefer the '84 original's main theme for the 80's nostalgia:

[YOUTUBE]68I3j2luW64[/YOUTUBE]

The Plague's theme from Hobo With A Shotgun is another one of my favorites. They use it, when The Drake summons The Plague to track down Abby and The Hobo, leading to the carnage and the massacre at the hospital. HWAS is loaded with a lot of over the top gore and bloody violence, and it's a fitting theme for two cold-blooded and merciless killers:

[YOUTUBE]6CXvBzY_grc[/YOUTUBE]

The Chiller channel ran a Saw marathon over the weekend, so of course the theme is stuck in my head now. A great theme for a so-so horror franchise, but it's an easy all-time top ten pick for me. A powerful theme that really catches your attention, and although the majority of them are disappointing and underwhelming, you know the big swerve, reveal, or the twist ending is coming, when you hear this theme:

[YOUTUBE]vhSHXGM7kgE[/YOUTUBE]

I used to watch one really whacked out acid trip of a cartoon when I was a kid. The episodes would be about random stupid goofy bullshit, but based on the theme you would think that the main character was the guy who taught Buck Rogers how to be a space cowboy.

Widget:

[YOUTUBE]LFwoG2P-s6U[/YOUTUBE]

Do you remember Dinosaucers? Something about the guy singing "DINOSAUCERS!" and the fake trumpets blaring makes my hair stand on end.

[YOUTUBE]gy7fO2i9y94[/YOUTUBE]

There was this show that I would watch called Botsmaster, and the intro made me laugh hysterically everytime it would play. It's lovable, but horribly stupid. It's like what would happen if Mr. Plow and Donkey Kong wrote a rap song about a kitchen appliance.

[YOUTUBE]LLKYOSiW7U4[/YOUTUBE]

And now, my favorite theme of all time.

[YOUTUBE]BYWzu1mARsE[/YOUTUBE]

NINJA SENTAI KAKURANGER MOTHERFUCKERS! This theme makes me want to go on a parkour rampage through the city! This show had Kane Kosugi as the American ninja, which is appropriate because he was actually born and raised in Los Angeles. It's my absolute favorite of the entire Super Sentai series.

Oh, and of course there's this:

[YOUTUBE]IYJUHaoNK6w[/YOUTUBE]

To this day, no wrestling show theme song gets my blood pumping the way this song does. As soon as that guitar screeches and Austin walks in front of that explosion, I just wanted to rip my shirt off and start punching and suplexing everything in the room.

Screeching guitars are fine, but I miss how the WWE/WWF would open their shows before the Attitude Era.

[YOUTUBE]odiM1IbsMYQ[/YOUTUBE]

Promos the start the show, then the theme kicking in. Saturday Night's Main Event was fucking awesome.

There's been some amazing picks so far! The Terminator 2 theme is easily my favourite movie theme of all time, it's just perfect. Great shouts with X-Men and Spiderman cartoon themes as well, I haven't watched the cartoons in years, but I still knew the themes so well when I heard them. Also, the Botsmaster theme haha I loved that show.

My first post is probably the most macho theme for any cartoon ever. The deep voice, the foot smashing down onto a pile of skulls, the massive sword...fuck yeah!! I love how 80's cartoons always told the story of the show in their opening themes!

"Conan, the mightiest warrior ever! His quest? To undo the spell of living stone cast upon his family by driving the evil serpent men back into another dimension, and vanquishing their leader- the cruel wizard Rathamon!"

Even now, hearing this theme makes me want to get in the gym, lift some weights and smash someone's face in!

[YOUTUBE]HT3cl4GJIDs[/YOUTUBE]

As far as movie themes go; the theme to Live and Let Die is a favorite of mine. It starts calmly, and then rips into that calm with a crescendo of boisterous music. This concept repeats throughout the theme, I can't get enough of it:

[YOUTUBE]e7aGAIWe3uE[/YOUTUBE]

The metal head in me remembers the theme to an old cult favorite known as Heavy Metal, based on the magazine that my parents were awesome enough to let me read as a kid. This movie was nuts for its time, and its theme made you proud to be a member of the culture.

[YOUTUBE]JNG_Kn-m73M[/YOUTUBE]

There have been some pretty good selections. Brings back a lot of memories. Anyways, I have a few themes that I'd like to share with you guys:

[YOUTUBE]BI0QNdIi508[/YOUTUBE]

Mitch, how you haven't posted this one yet is beyond me. This is my favorite horror theme of all time and it's arguably the most iconic horror theme of all time too. Plus, I can play it on piano.

[YOUTUBE]ZHC-YsXYTsg[/YOUTUBE]

I know that Bill Cosby isn't fondly looked upon anymore, but so what. This has to be the best Sit-Com theme ever. I mean, it's the best elevator music I've ever heard. Yes, it's even better than the Fresh Prince theme.

[YOUTUBE]7Wt6XlVob_E[/YOUTUBE]

You wanna talk about nostalgia? Well here you go. How many of you remeber fighting over which ranger you were going to be? Oh, but then there's:

[YOUTUBE]QU7k81-YmSY[/YOUTUBE]

The most popular and best ranger of all the times. Oh, but let's not forget:

[YOUTUBE]kuq_MzO3ukg[/YOUTUBE]

After the white ranger it started to get a little meh, but I still dug the Zeo Rangers and the Gold Ranger. I stopped watching when it got to Turbo.

[YOUTUBE]7Wt6XlVob_E[/YOUTUBE]

You wanna talk about nostalgia? Well here you go. How many of you remeber fighting over which ranger you were going to be? Oh, but then there's:

[YOUTUBE]QU7k81-YmSY[/YOUTUBE]

The most popular and best ranger of all the times. Oh, but let's not forget:

[YOUTUBE]kuq_MzO3ukg[/YOUTUBE]

After the white ranger it started to get a little meh, but I still dug the Zeo Rangers and the Gold Ranger. I stopped watching when it got to Turbo.

You missed out dude. I like Zeo's theme and Turbo was ok but for me In Space had the second best Power Rangers theme after the original

[YOUTUBE]B8RmUkInp_A[/YOUTUBE]

Has that kickass guitar like the original which is awesome

Moving onto films

[YOUTUBE]4Y_QIYMzgfM[/YOUTUBE]

I adore this intro (and not just because I tink Rose McGowan is hot) I think this intro song pretty much sums up the movie. Slow build up with some pulsating fills. And then it just explodes with a boombastic second half that's over the top which plays into the movie.

Also

[YOUTUBE]9IubsGmqADs[/YOUTUBE]

I love the whole Mariachi thing across the Mariachi trilogy this being probably my favourite. It's so simple but awesome.

The candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long. - Lao Tzu

[YOUTUBE]Dz2XmFrdXWw[/YOUTUBE]

I didn't watch much of the Power Rangers, so I'm not sure how well the two storylines parallel each other. In Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger, Burai is the name of the Green Ranger, and he's a dead man walking. He's only allowed to live for as long as his candle burns, and he gets a very decent sendoff when his time inevitably comes.

Don't forget to check out Choudenshi Bioman:

[YOUTUBE]w1cdZxsafY8[/YOUTUBE]

This series seemed to really pick up on female empowerment in Japan during the mid 1980's. The two female characters, yellow four and pink five, would occasionally get entire episodes to themselves where they'd absolutely finesse the New Empire with superior strategy. The first actress, Yuki Yajima, to play yellow four had a falling out with the director and she quit, so they gave her character an insanely heroic sendoff where she willingly sacrificed herself to save the rest of the team. The second actress, Sumiko Tanaka, has the most insanely well cut abs I've ever seen. Lots of skimpy bikini scenes for a kids show, but the women still come across as indomitable badasses. Also; the villain known as Monster is played by former NWA North American Tag Team Champion with Seiji Sakaguchi, Strong Kobayashi.

Then there was Gosei Sentai Dairanger:

[YOUTUBE]LVxER1oW7o0[/YOUTUBE]

The series went for a Chinese theme in this one, which is really cool for a Gaijin like me who's hungry for perspective. It's still Japanese characters, but their giant robots and spiritual leader are all based around Chinese Mythology. The villains dress like gimps and dominatrices, which is strangely never explored in an episode plot. Episode 39 is one of the most epic episodes of anything I've ever seen, as main villain Jin Matoba becomes good and goes out in a scene where all you see is his silhouette against the setting sun while he fights off hordes of enemy drones.

There have been some pretty good selections. Brings back a lot of memories. Anyways, I have a few themes that I'd like to share with you guys:

[YOUTUBE]BI0QNdIi508[/YOUTUBE]

Mitch, how you haven't posted this one yet is beyond me. This is my favorite horror theme of all time and it's arguably the most iconic horror theme of all time too. Plus, I can play it on piano.

Yeah, I was actually trying to stay away from the Halloween theme to post something new and different, because I've posted that theme in here more times than I can remember. One of my all-time favorites, but sometimes I go back and forth with choosing Laurie's original theme over the main theme:

[YOUTUBE]RVLtnJhhO5I[/YOUTUBE]

Sticking with Halloween, I'll go with the theme used in the opening credits for Season Of The Witch. It's an eerie theme, and it does a great job of setting the tone for the movie:

[YOUTUBE]Yle1HdEEP9w[/YOUTUBE]

It's basically a revised version of the original theme, but H20's theme is one of the best in the Halloween series. And I thought it was too much at first, and the extra sound effects and the woman's voice in the background annoyed me, but the revamped theme used for Rob Zombie's Halloween films grew on me after a while:

[YOUTUBE]83sm4ISddHI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]IbO_SVFfuLI[/YOUTUBE]

I don't care how many times they use it throughout the movie, I never get tired of hearing Predator's main theme. Endless amounts of badassery, another true classic, and it's another perfect fit, when Arnie and others arrive for the briefing during the intro, including the shot of Arnie sitting in the helicopter, while he's lighting up his cigar:

[YOUTUBE]oXnAxydhZ8M[/YOUTUBE]

[youtube]-MtDLRvpx-k[/youtube]

This was the outro theme for The Wire and the theme fits the tone of the show and the mood of every episode's ending. It makes you take in the final moment from an episode and gets you thinking about what just happened and what might happen next.

[youtube]5dxnr9fV-Ts[/youtube]

All 5 seasons of The Wire had different versions of "Way Down In The Hole" including the original by Tom Waits which was used for Season 2. Season 1's cover by The Five Blind Boys Of Alabama was my favourite of all of them. It was even used for the show's final closing montage in Season 5.

[youtube]xaTYqBQEsoE[/youtube]

For a show that was so controversial, edgy and violent, they had a cool intro theme when they could've gone for something scarier instead although the scream you hear somewhere near the end of the theme is the only scary part of the theme.

[youtube]TjCnHJ8wIuM[/youtube]

ER's theme really fit the serious tone of a hospital. Everytime you heard it, you felt like something was about to happen to a hospital patient.

[youtube]6S4jLGR8c-0[/youtube]

I didn't watch much Quantum Leap back in the day but this theme is what I'll always remember about the show. It cheers me up.

[youtube]MqPFj_f2U3Q[/youtube]

I just recently started watching Nash Bridges but I love the theme because it's sounds so 90's. If I hadn't already known Nash Bridges was a 90's show, it's theme would've tipped me off that it was.

[youtube]YOXpKUu6pUg[/youtube]

This theme gets my heart pumping but also scares me too due to the roars of The Hulk and the split screen of David/Hulk's face at the end.

[youtube]TzMSfaNXYZg[/youtube]

And then there's the classic Lonely Man theme at the end of every episode, which makes you feel sorry for David as he has to leave and find another town to stay in.

[youtube]-JPSui9nR2g[/youtube]

The only other sitcom theme that rivals The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air's theme for me is Kenan & Kel's. You got Will Smith and Coolio dropping some dope rhymes to dope beats. Both themes' lyrics are very catchy and memorable.

[youtube]0DeQDv7P3QY[/youtube]

Another catchy sitcom theme.

[youtube]CVxFwH39FDs[/youtube]

And another.

[youtube]SCQGnVrTsAM[/youtube]

The iconic theme of one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. Makes me wanna go out and make a new friend.

[youtube]GjO8RC4Gs-Q[/youtube]

Boy Meets World had different themes for each season. Season 1 was my favourite and sometimes I wish Boy Meets World had stuck with this theme but I get they had to change it up for every season to fit the characters as they were growing up and going off to high school/college. Season 1's theme was childish and cartoony since they were in primary school, the later season's themes were mature.

[youtube]KMhZyviousA[/youtube]

The Blackadder series (4 seasons) also had different versions of the Blackadder theme to fit the different time periods of each season. Season 1 again, which was set in the Middle Ages, had the best version of the show's theme imo.

[youtube]JHOeqOlb2l8[/youtube]

And I'll end with this theme. I'm mixed on the sitcom itself, I found it okay, but it's not in the same league or as great as the shows mentioned above. The best part about Green Wing for me was it's enjoyable theme.

And now, the most easily recognizable theme song in history.

[YOUTUBE]xM6ecC1jf9E[/YOUTUBE]

For those wondering; I don't give a damn about my reputation!

[YOUTUBE]RHTL4vTg2O0[/YOUTUBE]

I'm done watching shows about the past! I want to watch a show about the not too distant future!

[YOUTUBE]VF7cO4t0o9c[/YOUTUBE]

And now I'm suffering from space madness! Just like an old friend of mine.

[YOUTUBE]R7tNDkEACSY[/YOUTUBE]

For rehabilitation, I think I'll chillax in a quiet Washington town where I'm sure that no Satanic fever dreams of serial killers would ever occur.

[YOUTUBE]i7d0Lm_31BE[/YOUTUBE]

Laura Palmer was murdered!? We don't want any hokey backwoods cops on this case, we need a cop who we can trust because he knows what he's doing!

[YOUTUBE]cQl6r0fqRAI[/YOUTUBE]

[youtube]f4MRmEPNUxY[/youtube]

Whether you associate this with Cops or the movie Bad Boys, how can you not love singing this?

"Bad Boys, Bad Boys
Whatcha gonna do?
Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?"

Some shows kick so much ass that they remain relevant for over fifty years, and would have to upgrade their themes through the years.

One such show was Dr. Who:

[YOUTUBE]a1AnTi1X2QM[/YOUTUBE]

The Doctor was the type of space cowboy that could outwit Han Solo, outgun Malcolm Reynolds and kick Spike Spiegel's ass.

There's been some amazing picks so far! The Terminator 2 theme is easily my favourite movie theme of all time, it's just perfect. Great shouts with X-Men and Spiderman cartoon themes as well, I haven't watched the cartoons in years, but I still knew the themes so well when I heard them. Also, the Botsmaster theme haha I loved that show.

My first post is probably the most macho theme for any cartoon ever. The deep voice, the foot smashing down onto a pile of skulls, the massive sword...fuck yeah!! I love how 80's cartoons always told the story of the show in their opening themes!

"Conan, the mightiest warrior ever! His quest? To undo the spell of living stone cast upon his family by driving the evil serpent men back into another dimension, and vanquishing their leader- the cruel wizard Rathamon!"

Even now, hearing this theme makes me want to get in the gym, lift some weights and smash someone's face in!

[YOUTUBE]HT3cl4GJIDs[/YOUTUBE]

Dammit Naitch, your music taste usually makes me nod in agreement but this made me actually say "fuckin YES!" out loud to myself. Excellent stuff.

I know that a lot of the picks have been for TV shows but I'm honestly surprised that neither Requiem for a Dream or, to a lesser extent, Moon or The Fountain's themes have been mentioned as Clint Mansell can score the fuck out of a film (to use the official term). Lux Aeterna has been sampled and remixed for other films, shows, montages and what have you but it always fits so perfectly with Requiem.

As for TV shows, Big Poppa Machismo already put The Wire and Oz on the map so I'll give my nod to The Shield:

The version in the show doesn't include the lyrics and is only the first 15 seconds or so that is used but once the music hits after the first scene of the show, you know you're going to be in for a ride.

Here's another good one from the original Terminator's soundtrack. The tunnel chase theme starts, when Sarah and Kyle escape from the motel, and Arnie chases after them on the bike. The soundtrack is loaded (a lot of memorable themes on the 1984 soundtrack), and the tunnel chase theme is a great complement, with Arnie relentlessly pursuing Kyle and Sarah, while Kyle lobs pipe bombs in the tunnel. Good stuff.

[YOUTUBE]2ywnTKg3OtY[/YOUTUBE]

You can always count a memorable theme from John Carpenter's films, and The Thing 1982's main theme is no exception. It's simple and effective, and the theme really carries an eerie and chilling (pun intended) aura.

It's used throughout the movie, but there's one scene (well, two I guess. Thinking about the final moments, when MacReady and Childs are the sole survivors, and they're sharing a bottle of liquor and thinking about their limited options) that really stands out for me. Towards the end, MacReady, Nauls, and Garry are standing around in MacReady's shack after they discovered Blair's little underground workstation, where he planned to build a ship. Meanwhile, The Thing destroys the generator, leaving the camp in darkness. The main theme is playing in the background, and it's definitely one of the more memorable scenes in the movie, with MacReady holding up the flare and Garry smiling, while he explains his plan to "warm things up." MacReady knows they're out of options, but if they're going down, they're going to take The Thing with them.

[YOUTUBE]EnFc7D0ZoCc[/YOUTUBE]

No matter what, Darkwing Duck was one of those shows, where I had to be glued in front of the TV after I got home from school as a kid, and it didn't take me long to memorize every word in the intro. I might've missed a few, but I had most of the action figures, including the villains and Darkwing's gas gun. A pure nostalgia pick, and I was always a bigger fan of Negaduck (still looking for that Mega-Negaduck toy).

[YOUTUBE]375ENQbru8s[/YOUTUBE]

If we're talking about shows within the show on The Simpsons, nothing comes close to Itchy & Scratchy, but Eye On Springfield is somewhere in the middle of the pack. Eye On Springfield was/is (I have no idea if they still do Eye On Springfield, because I don't follow The Simpsons that much anymore) a parody of the gossipy, pop culture entertainment shows, with Brockman covering the new hot spots and current events in Springfield. The retro style theme is cheesy, but that's what's so good about it.

[YOUTUBE]sxxhb34_iGg[/YOUTUBE]

I'm going with Charley and Regine's dance scene from Fright Night II for Come To Me. More than one version exists, because you have the original version for the 1985 film with vocals, there's another version for Fright Night II with vocals, and I'm not 100% sure, but I think both films have two more instrumental versions, with a few tweaks here and there.

All in all, Come To Me is one hell of a theme. Jerry and Regine are suave and charismatic seducers, so Come To Me is a perfect fit for both characters. I prefer the instrumental version used in Charley and Regine's dance scene from II, because the theme is smoother and more refined, but the theme is used throughout both films during some of the best moments and scenes, including Jerry turning Ed, Jerry seducing Amy, and of course the dance scene from the sequel (Regine using the cross to smash the mirror is the best part).

[YOUTUBE]8OhLLRS67D0[/YOUTUBE]

I'm kind of surprised Back To The Future's theme hasn't made an appearance yet. Another iconic theme, and you know something big is about to happen, when you hear it. "Let's see if you bastards can do 90!", Marty taking the trip to the Old West in III to save Doc, or Marty snatching The Sports Almanac off of Biff's car in II. My favorite theme moment happens in II, while Doc and Marty are in the DeLorean, and they're going over their plans to steal The Sports Almanac from young Biff in 1955:

Marty: "Doc...... what if we don't succeed?"

Doc: "We must succeed."

[YOUTUBE]e8TZbze72Bc[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back