Best Sports Film of All Time

Who Wins The Zonie Best Sports Film Of All Time?

• Remember The Titans

• Rocky

• Rudy

• Raging Bull

• Friday Night Lights

• Bull Durham

• Hoosiers

• United

• Karate Kid

• Vision Quest

• The Sandlot

• Slapshot

• The Major League

• The Mighty Ducks

• Hoop Dreams

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

2011 Zonie Awards

Nominees for Best Sports Film of All Time

Remember the Titans

Rocky

Rudy

Raging Bull

Friday Night Lights

Bull Durham

Hoosiers

United

Karate Kid

Vision Quest

The Sandlot

Slap Shot

Major League

The Mighty Ducks

Hoop Dreams

*discussion will be open until Friday, May 13th, on which date the polls will open and voting will be permitted. No spamming, no flaming.

The best sports movie of all time is the 1994 documentary film, Hoop Dreams. The film follows two black high school basketball players, Arthur Agee and William Gates, as they try to follow their dream of becoming professional basketball players. This is the best sports movie because when it comes to realism, entertainment, and accolades, few films can measure up with it.

This is 100%, without a doubt the most realistic sports movie ever made because it was a documentary. These are real kids living their normal life, trying to follow their dream. Hollywood can't tweak reality. Remember the Titans is a perfect example of Hollywood making some big changes to a movie. It may have been based on a true story but there were tons of over exaggerations and some things that were just flat out made up.

When you see the word documentary you automatically think boring but that isn't the case with Hoop Dreams. The movie lasts just under 3 hours but when you're watching it you are constantly entertained. Just the fact that you can emotionally invest in all the characters because you know it's all real makes it tremendous to watch. The experience of being with these kids through every aspect of their lives for 4 years makes the length of the movie seem like nothing. Even though it's a documentary it's probably more dramatic then nearly any sport film out there. Definitely an entertaining watch.

This isn't some unknown movie either. Gene Siskel and Robert Ebert gave it two thumbs up and named it the best movie of 1994. Ebert went on to name it the best film of the decade. What started as a 30 minute PBS special grew into one of the greatest documentaries of all time. Here is a list of more awards and accolades it received.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoop_Dreams#Awards

Hoop Dreams had it all and is the greatest sports movie of all time.

The end of the documentary Hoops Dreams shows William Gates, one of the protagonists of the film, saying of his friends and family, "People always told me to remember them when I make the NBA. I shoulda replied, I dont want you forgettin me if I don't." For any sports fan whose seen the movie, you haven't forgotten William Gates, or Arthur Agee, the other young man whose struggles are depicted in this film. What makes this movie fascinating is that due to its 100% authenticity, the viewer is truly unsure of what will unfold next after the boys receive scholarships to play basketball at a prep school in Illinois. This differentiates it from the "Hollywood Happy Endings" on the list. More on that later.

For those unfamilar, the movie follows five years of the struggles of the aforementioned Gates and Agee, two outstanding basketball players who are recruited to play basketball at a prep school in Illinois. While they were more then adequately prepared to succeed athletically, there were many barriers standing in their way of overall success. Gates could only read at a 4th grade level as he entered high school, and Agee had little interest in his academics. Three hour commutes in all to and from school every day, as well as adjustments to being around students from a different racial and socioeconomical status, created extra stress on the boys. Both come from complicated backgrounds, with Agee's being particularly harsh. As a result of him being on a patial scholarship, and his family unable to pay the remainder of the tuition, he is kicked out of school.

When Arthur is kicked out of school, it is easy to paint the school just as a place that toys with the lives of students, supporting them when it's in their best interest, and discarding them when they're not. In this case, the family from a poorer area could no longer pay for his tuition, so the bottom line took precendence. But as we learn later in the movie, his well-spoken, supportive father is unable to make said payments because he has a drug problem. Its this casual way in which the film unfolds that adds great layers of depth, with multiple meanings unfolding in the process. The school's only worry was the bottom line, not the student's academic or athletic potential. But due to Agee's unremarkable play, whether or not Agee's father had worked 3 jobs and was clean, stone soberb and couldn't afford the payment, he was gone. But the reason the payments cannot be made is due to his durg-addicted father. There are layers of meanings that shatter normal stereotypes and assumptions, both in movies and the real world.

The dramatic scenes in the movie add to what make this movie better then any other. There's no Hollywood spin, and no based on a true story in the tagline. This isn't about a ragtag group of hockey players who go on to become state champs. No boy goes from unable to defend himself to become a black belt. Instead of rushing the viewer from failure to success in two hours, Hoop Dreams unfolds in real time. The dramatic scenes are set up both beautifully and in the same vein, with heartbreak. One scene shows Gates opening his ACT results, learning he passed on the first try, granting him a full scholarship to Marquette. But we also see Agee's family glumly walking around their apartment after the lights have been turned off because they couldn't afford to pay the electric bill. We see Gates, just a junior, playing with his new baby daughter, and later telling his mostly-absent father that he had already become a better one. Agee was on his way to leading his team to a state championship when

But perhaps the most moving scene of the movie is that of Agee's father, showing up suddenly after being missing for months, to the basketball court on the playground on which his son is playing. Shirtless and glassy eyes, he casually says hello to the son he hasn't seen for months, shoots a few jump shots, then walks to the far corner of the court, flashing cash at a drug dealer. It's this gritty realism that serves as another reason for this movie being the greatest ever.

Neither boy got their "Hollywood ending", with their hard work paying off in fame and fortune. While William went to Marshall, he was little more then a bit player. Agee went to Arkansas State and bounced around the minor leagues for a few years. But this movie isn't about giving the viewer a "feel good" moment, like most of the other movies on the list do. The harsh reality of growing up in a poor neighborhood, and the pitfalls. How the support, or lack of, can change the course of one's life. Of how things appear on the surface aren't always what they are in reality. And how some people will stop at nothing to achieve their dreams, and how sometimes, their dreams become their parents, uncles, aunts, brothers, and sisters, and the added pressure it puts on. But with all the layers of meaning, shatterring of stereotypes and assumptions, and gritty realism, the focus of the movie is squarely on basketball. Because of this, not only does Hoop Dreams belong in the conversation of greatest movies ever, it is without a doubt the greatest sports movie ever made. I implore of you, if you haven't seen it, do so. Forget the feel good, watered down, Hollywood re-writes. Do so by voting Hoop Dreams as the greatest sports movie of all-time.

I would love to vote for Rocky but I feel like I have an obligation to United for being British and I think it is the only British movie on display in the entire tournament. For that reason, I will likely be leading with my heart rather than my head on this one.

Don't get me wrong, Rocky is an amazing film and the impact it has made both financially and socially is astounding. It is one of the greatest movie franchises ever and the one that really brought Sylvester Stallone into a whole new division of talent. Some people prefer Rambo and some people prefer Rocky. Personally, I am one of the people who happens to think that Rocky was a much better film and franchise than Rambo. However, that is not what is being debated here. In terms sports films, the one movie that will come to people's lips is Rocky. If you ask people what their favourite sports movie is, a casual film-goer will tell you that it is Rocky. It is iconic in so many ways and no one's video library is complete without it.

That being said, Hoop Dreams looks as though it has a lot of support early in the competition and I am regretting that I have not seen it. Perhaps that is something that I can work on over the next couple of days. The way you guys are seeing it makes me think that I should have seen it. I guess that is something that cannot be said about Rocky. A lot of people from this side of the pond will not have seen Hoop Dreams and the same is not true of Rocky. It truly has crossover appeal and the underdog story that is prevalent in it is done as well as I have ever seen it.

People know about Rocky as being a staple of American and world cinema and no one can deny how successful it has been since the very instalment. The picture of Rocky with his hands raised above his head is one of the most memorable and iconic pieces of movie history and it is framed around a great movie that will move people throughout. I will be voting for Rocky in this one and I suspect that it is going to be a close run thing between it and Hoop Dreams, judging by the support it seems to have.

That being said, I will still be voting for United. Honestly, it is one of the best and most moving pieces of film that I have ever encountered. The acting is inspiring and David Tennant showed everyone that he can be just as versatile as the best actors in Hollywood. Sure it was just shown on the BBC but quality is timeless and United showed me that there is a great future for British film and moved me to my core. I know that no one will heed my words but you should all be watching this movie if you can get your hands on it.

Honourable mention for Coach Carter, which I should have nominated.

Lots of good choices here, but I'm going to have to go against my nominee and vote for Rocky. Rocky was the first sports film that really saw the protagonist lose, a move that shocked audiences everywhere. Furthermore, it used boxing to tell a story that no boxing movie since has been able to replicate. The training montage, the characters, the romance storyline, Rocky innovated many of the themes, motifs, and even cliches that we have seen in nearly every boxing movie (and many other types of movies) we've seen since 1976.

While William went to Marshall, he was little more then a bit player.

Gates went to Marquette but you made the correct choice in movies and it was a great post.

That being said, Hoop Dreams looks as though it has a lot of support early in the competition and I am regretting that I have not seen it. Perhaps that is something that I can work on over the next couple of days.

It is a tremendous movie that you definitely should check out. It's lengthy but you'll be entertained the entire time.

Honourable mention for Coach Carter, which I should have nominated

Another great movie and if you enjoyed Coach Carter then you'll enjoy Hoop Dreams.

I LOVED Coach Carter, and now I am, also, bummed it was forgotten. Amazing film.

I am going to see Hoop Dreams based on the two opening posts, both of which were brilliant and exactly what this tournament is all about. But my early front runners:

#3 - Rudy. I have a sentimental attachment to this film, as it was my HS Wrestling nickname. I wasn't a good wrestler, but I never missed practice, and no matter how hard you took me down, I never stopped fighting and I always got up before you did. If you dogged it, I got in your face. Rudy is a great story of the heart of an under dog at what was, at the time, the greatest college football program in the United States. Amazing story. The fact that, when Rudy sacks the GTech QB at the end and Rudy's father celebrates in the stands, the man standing behind the actors is the real Daniel Ruddiger. The film was amazing.

#2 - Rocky. To my knowledge, the only film on the list to even be nominated for Best Picture, let alone win. Maybe I am wrong about the nominations, but Rocky won the Academy Award for best picture, is the definitive underdog story, and despite being a sports movie, it manages to be less about boxing and more about life. It's a timeless story and spawned 5 sequels, tons of merchandise, and some of the iconic moments and quotes in history.

#1 - Remember the Titans Despite Rocky and Rudy being all time faves, RTT recently overtook my #1 spot. This film had everything. Based on a true story, heart wrenching and extremely well acted. The racial undertones don't feel overdone - they feel real and they feel honest. It doesn't hurt that Chris Turk is in this, and he's straight up the man. Nobody stays dry eyed when Bertir is hit by the truck.

I am actually shocked that all of you have ignored Raging Bull. Curious as to how many of you have actually seen the film (not being a condescending douche, I'm actually curious). Not only is Raging Bull a great Sports-genre film, but an argument can easily be made that it's one of the greatest films ever, period.

This film doesn't have a weakness, which isn't something I can say for every other nominee. Maybe DeNiro's best performance, and quite possibly the best film Scorsese has directed. The story draws you in, the boxing scenes are probably the best/most realistic of all boxing films, and most importantly, it's honest. It's an honest portrayal of a troubled, yet talented, man. It doesn't sell out in order to make him the "hero" we can cheer for, and I think that's an important factor that should be mentioned, and respected.

2nd Place: Bull Durham. Absolutely hilarious, and also honest as it relates to minor league baseball players, and how they live.

3rd Place: Rocky. Feel-good story, with a character we can all relate to. Best thing Stallone has ever done, no question.

Remember The Titans is a superb film, and gets my vote without a shadow of a doubt. I don't like sports (fake sports are much better) and this is more than just a sports film. It's about friendship, pushing boundaries and standing up for what's right.

It's extremely well acted. Particularly the performances of Ryan Hurst and Wood Harris as Bertier and Julius respectively. They have some great chemistry together and their performances are very natural (which is impressive considering the clichéd nature of the film). The story arc is quite simplistic, but I don't see why that should be a bad thing when it's so well acted, directed and generally put together.

One of the best things about the film is the fact it's based on a true story. It really plays in it's favour. I found Bertier's death is very emotional. And I'm not someone who gets emotional when it comes to films.

Remember The Titans is just a great film. It also includes one of my favourite scenes in a film - which is what I'll leave you with.

[YOUTUBE]1eNF5hb6gzk[/YOUTUBE]​

I am very much torn between Rocky, Remember The Titans and The Sandlot. Rocky and Titans were the best sport wise but Sandlot brings back great childhood memories. I guess because more people will say RHT and Rocky my choice is The Sandlot, it is such a classic in so many ways. This movie basically represents my childhood perfectly, the moving and making new friends and everything. The lines are priceless and timeless, the story is wonderful and it will always hold a spot near and dear to my heart.

Remember The Titans is a superb film, and gets my vote without a shadow of a doubt. I don't like sports (fake sports are much better) and this is more than just a sports film. It's about friendship, pushing boundaries and standing up for what's right.

If you appreciate these things, but not sports, Hoop Dreams is the perfect choice for you. It's about dreams, barriers to accomplishing them, family and their impact on dreams, and being able to see an issue from more then one perspective. Except with Remember the Titans you're getting the watered down, Hollywood version. Hoop Dreams is 100% real and true to life. It's a documentary, and 3 hours long, but it doesn't play out like one, and the time truly flies. Im begging you, and anyone else who hasn't seen this film to do so before making your vote. You'll re-consider it, at the least.

Remember the Titans. Without a shadow of a doubt, RTT wins this for me. Firstly, it demonstrates what sports is about, what high school football is about. Being a team, a family, and winning. Becoming proud of you team and having fun. Just being a champion, and overcoming adversity. Being better. Not to mention it really illustrates the power struggles that happen in real life in sports, between players and coaches. It also demonstrates how racism is really bad, for lack of a better, more intelligent term, and how skin color means nothing. It is also emotional. This is one of the only movies that has ever made me cry. The actor's had good chemistry, especially Bertier and Julius. Plus Denzel Washington showed exactly why he is a premeir actor. Not to mention, glamorized or not, this was a true story, and an inspirational one at that. I have seen this move 5-6 times and it is always great, never gets old. I love this movie, and it is the greatest sports movie of all time.

I love Bull Durham, it works on many levels for me, you have almost a Rocky/ Karate Kid thing going on with Susan Sarandon and Kevin Costner vying to be the sensei to Tim Robbins. You also have the old dog getting one last run as well as the green rookie coming good dynamic. You have the odd couple story, usually saved for buddy cop movies. There's a love triangle thing happening as Kevin and Tim compete for Sarandon's affections & Kevin and Susan compete to be Tim's teacher. Finally you have the sports as a sex metaphor as every sexual adventure Sarandon takes Robbins on has a bearing on his career.

Every role is played perfectly and the film really has a one of a kind feel, in that other sports movies may have a romantic angle but the line between sex and baseball in Bull Durham is very even and very blurred.

There are several excellent true life films in this category which cannot be discounted and there are loser turned champion feel good classics. All deserve their nomination but I ask anybody who is undecided how many different versions of this story have I seen? In Bull Durham's case, I'm guessing none.

1)Remember the Titans is the sports movie of all Sports movies. It truly is a sports movie that everyone knows and not only tells the morale story between racism but also has the focus of football. It is a very compelling story that mixes personal conflicts with actual sports. It also has probaly the most legendary pre-game warm-ups to have been shown ever.

2) My only other close choice was Rudy. The stroy of the player who all he wants is to be in one play. This is a very touching story because all he wants to do is show his father he made the team. He was one of the only players ever to be carried of the Notre Dame football. The story of hard work is what makes this story so interesting and something that people have to watch.

I see a lot of people picking Remember the Titans and while it is a tremendous movie and one of my favorites, it just doesn't measure up as the "greatest" sports movie ever. I'm not trying to generalize everyone but I'd venture to say that the majority of the people picking Remember the Titans haven't seen many of the movies on the list. I've seen all but two of the movies on the list all the way through. With Vision Quest I've seen part of the movie but not all the way through and that is the film on the list that probably portrays sport the least. The only movie I've never seen any of is United and that's because it's a Norwegian film. So from someone who loves sports, comes from a sports background, and has seen pretty much every film on the list, I can tell you that Hoop Dreams is the best sports film ever made.

I see a lot of people picking Remember the Titans and while it is a tremendous movie and one of my favorites, it just doesn't measure up as the "greatest" sports movie ever. I'm not trying to generalize everyone but I'd venture to say that the majority of the people picking Remember the Titans haven't seen many of the movies on the list. I've seen all but two of the movies on the list all the way through. With Vision Quest I've seen part of the movie but not all the way through and that is the film on the list that probably portrays sport the least. The only movie I've never seen any of is United and that's because it's a Norwegian film. So from someone who loves sports, comes from a sports background, and has seen pretty much every film on the list, I can tell you that Hoop Dreams is the best sports film ever made.

"The only movie I've never seen any of is United and that's because it's a Norwegian film." Must... stop... laughing... priceless mate!

On Hoop Dreams though, is it actually a film per se? Comparing real life and fiction is an awkward proposition (plus, if docs were allowable in this section, should Beyond The Mat not have received a nomination or two?). Possibly, it's to late but how about a best doc category?

My top sport movies weren't on your list

Miracle on Ice This is the documentary, of the 1980 USA Olympic hockey team. This movie make you so proud to be an American. If you've never seen it watch it, it's the most moving experience I've ever had watching a movie. You don't even need to be a hockey fan to appreciate this movie. It was so well done, and really captured the felling in America at the time, and what the game meant to this country.

The other sports movie I love is fictional, The Program. It's about one season of a collage football program, and all the BS that goes along with it. This movie dose a great job with all the characters: the QB who's in the running for the Heisman. The freshman RB who's come in to take the current RB's spot, the DL who's failing all his classes but is a football genius, the LB who's been taking steroids in the off season to get a starting spot on the defense. An the ending is great too, because you realize, in collage it's not about the players, it's all about the program.

"The only movie I've never seen any of is United and that's because it's a Norwegian film." Must... stop... laughing... priceless mate!

My bad. I had never heard of the film and looked it up. The only "film" that I could find with that title said it was Norwegian. Upon further research it seems there was a TV movie titled "United" about the 1958 Manchester United team. Either way there really isn't any way that I would have been able to hear about it, let alone watch it over in the US especially since it was first broadcast less then a month ago in England

On Hoop Dreams though, is it actually a film per se? Comparing real life and fiction is an awkward proposition

If documentary films don't count then why should made for TV films count? Both are types of films that aren't the traditional type. It doesn't matter what type of film it is, Hoop Dreams definitely belongs in this category.

We Are Marshall would've been my choice. I felt that Matthew Fox and Matthew McConaughey were simply amazing in this movie. Fox crying at the end might have been the best crying scene from a man ever. And McConaughey is totally committed to playing the optimistic, charmingly naive Jack Lengyel. The story is pretty powerful and shows there's more to sports than just winning everything.

From the list.. The Sandlot. I just think it is a funny, funny movie that showcases everything great about American summers when you are a kid. Nothing was taken too serious and I wanted a mastiff after this movie tbh. haha

I'm going with Rocky. Rocky Balboa is one of the most inspirational characters in the history of film. He was the underdog who came from nothing, and he took advantage of a golden to opportunity to become the World Heavyweight Champion. Rocky is one of those characters who you love to root for, and you really get to see Rocky fight through a lot of struggles in this film. Rocky is a great motivational story, and this is a memorable film.

Of what's listed here, Hoop Dreams wins hands-down. Great sports films always transcend the sports themselves. Only four of the films nominated do that: Rocky, Hoop Dreams, Rudy, and Raging Bull. Let's look at them one by one:

Rudy - Great feel-good and inspirational film. Unfortunately, it's about as well-made as a Lifetime original movie. Like Rudy Ruettiger himself, this film has tons of heart but little in terms of adept production.

Raging Bull - I'd probably vote for this one if Hoop Dreams didn't hit so hardly at home. Anyway, a masterpiece about one of the most interesting sports figures in American history.

Rocky - Pretty much just like Rudy except it's about boxing and has better production values. However, experience has taught me that the real world is nothing like Rocky Balboa's. That being said, this film would have been so much better had it not become a franchise. Rocky Balboa was never meant to be a world champion; he was only meant to be someone unfazed by the overwhelming odds against him and someone who lived by the following Vince Lombardi quote: Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is everything.

Hoop Dreams - Now we come to my choice, the documentary about two African-American teens from the slums of Chicago with aspirations to make it to the NBA. Spanning the four years of their high-school careers, Hoop Dreams leaves no stone unturned in documenting how American collegiate/professional basketball prospects are developed and then recruited. Fortunately for us viewers, Hoop Dreams is far from a puff piece; its positive title belies just how tenuous and tense the lives of its subjects are.

In my short life, I've only seen a handful of perfect films. Furthermore, I doubt that I'll see more than another handful before I die. I am glad to say that Hoop Dreams is in the handful that I've already had the privilege of watching.

Quite honestly, I wanted to vote for something like Happy Gilmore or the Waterboy, as I prefer my sports with a comedic twist, but I guess I shouldn't have been such a stoner and cast a ballot of my own.

I'd vote for Sandlot, but I hate watching people throw up, watching a shit ton of kids throwing up is not my idea of a good time. other than that it's a good baseball flick.

Fuck, just saw Major League on there, perfecto! The comedy I was looking for. Major league is a pretty entertaining watch, obviously more entertaining if you're a baseball fan, but still accessible to the average movie watcher.

Also, I can't stand Disney sports films, I'll admit to enjoying Remember the Titans, but fuck, they overdue there shit like no other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back