Best Player Series: 2nd Baseman

Rhonda Rousey's Sports Bra

Kinda Sorta Old School
This is the fourth in a series of threads about the best players in the MLB at their positions. I'm going to use the past 5 years as the criteria, that eliminates one hit wonder and life time acheivement award type players.

2nd Baseman will be the fourth position in the series.

The question is who do you think the best 2nd baseman in the MLB is and why?

Be ready to defend your choice.

I'm going to pick my horse after a few of you take your's.

at the moment and possibly for the future, robinson cano. he is coming into his own as a player and as a standout star. he is really steppng up.
as for the past couple years, chase utley. the guy is amazing and doesnt need explanation.

I have to go with Chase Utley here. He's averaged .300 30 100 over the last five seasons. Those are great numbers for anyone, but especially great for a 2B. He's also started the last four all star games. Second base is as deep now as it's ever been, but Utley is the head of the class.

I think this is a pretty easy choice it has to be Chase Utley i mean he is the man he is on the best team in baseball in my opinion. He is a very consistent player he gives you Home Runs, RBI's, and he can play some good defense and he manages to stay pretty healthy so i believe he is the best second baseman in baseball.

Chase Utley says HI!!!! No one else I would pick in this position. Utley has been the best 2Ber in baseball for the last couple of years. Plus the guy should keep getting better. I fully expect a MVP in his future. He is great with the bat and pretty solid in his own right with the leather. He is an ultimate team player and gives it his all every day. And he has no fear. He will stand there and take a pitch just to get on base. A case could be made for others, but I can't see how you could pick someone besides Utley.

Well to make this is a debate, I will go with Dustin Pedroia.

Over the past 5 years, Dustin has averaged .307, and in the 3 full years he played and 2010 averaged 86 runs per game. Now, yes Dustin and Chase play the same positiion, but they are completely different players. Dustin bats 2nd for the Sox and Chase bats 3rd for Philadelphia, which gives Chase more RBI opportunities. Dustin has won an MVP, while leading his team to the World Series as the star. Chase on the other hand, has never won the MVP while two of his teammates have.

Now to me this plays a huge role in deciding my choice. Chase is a phenomenal player, and he has the ring, but he was never the star of the team, he was considered a great player and a key player for the team, but Dustin was the Red Sox that year and deserves the vote

I think its Utley. I dont get to see him play too much, but I saw him ripping the yankees apart in their 3 game series and in the world series last year. No other second baseman puts up 30 HRs a season. He hits close to, if not over .300 and drives has drove in over 100 runs 4 out of the last 5 years.

Over the past 5 years, Dustin has averaged .307, and in the 3 full years he played and 2010 averaged 86 runs per game. Now, yes Dustin and Chase play the same positiion, but they are completely different players. Dustin bats 2nd for the Sox and Chase bats 3rd for Philadelphia, which gives Chase more RBI opportunities. Dustin has won an MVP, while leading his team to the World Series as the star. Chase on the other hand, has never won the MVP while two of his teammates have.

Now to me this plays a huge role in deciding my choice. Chase is a phenomenal player, and he has the ring, but he was never the star of the team, he was considered a great player and a key player for the team, but Dustin was the Red Sox that year and deserves the vote

1. Dustin Pedroia wasn't the "Star" of the 2007 Red Sox, he was a part of a team. Last time I checked, David Ortiz wasn't found out to be a steroid user, and Manny Ramirez was still batting behind Ortiz. They also had Lowell (who finished 5th in the MVP in 07 and won the World Series MVP). Also, Youkilis was on that team. So to say Pedroia was "The Star" on that team is ludicrous. He was one of many pieces, and to be honest, Manny, Papi, and Lowell were all more important, and I never even mentioned any of the Starting Pitchers or Papelbon. In 2008, at worst Utley was the 3th biggest player on the team behind Rollins and Howard. Now he is definitely the 2nd, since Rollins has fallen off a little, and Utley has stepped up his game even more, if that was even possible.

2. Chase Utley has actually played in all 5 seasons that are used for this debate. In those 5 years, Utley finished in the top 10 in MVP voting 3 times, and top 15 all 5 times. Pedroia won the Rookie of the Year in 2007, MVP in 2008, and he was nothing in 2009. Pedroia didn't even get votes for the MVP award.

3. Comparing the statistics, I would rather have Utley's 5 consistent MVP-considering years, then Pedroia's 2 good years. during those years, Utley (as a 3 hitter) had comparable hits, batting average, and Batting Average. Also, Utley has better walks, Homers, RBI, Runs, On Base %, Slugging %, OPS, and pretty much everything else. Batting 2nd is supposed to give you more run-scoring opportunities over batting 3rd, yet Utley not only outscores Pedroia, but it isn't even close (111 to 81).

So I would rather have Utley, who has played in all 5 years, played better, and is trending upward, over Pedroia, who pretty much is a flash in the pan who had 1 great season, one solid year, and one ehh year. Chase Utley is the best 2nd baseman, and it isn't all that close.

uggla.jpg

Alright guys I found my dark horse, Dan Uggla. Uggla is one of the best power hitting 2nd baseman in the game today. The guy hits around 30 homeruns a year is a two time All Star and all this while playing for the Florida Marlins. Nothing against the Marlins, but they haven't exactly been a great team as of late.

I have a link to Dan's stats below.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/u/ugglada01.shtml

uggla.jpg

Alright guys I found my dark horse, Dan Uggla. Uggla is one of the best power hitting 2nd baseman in the game today. The guy hits around 30 homeruns a year is a two time All Star and all this while playing for the Florida Marlins. Nothing against the Marlins, but they haven't exactly been a great team as of late.

I have a link to Dan's stats below.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/u/ugglada01.shtml

As a South Florida boy, I know Dan Uggla better then anyone, and he can not be in this debate. Yes he has a great power bat, but either he its a home run or he strikes out. He strikes out more then anybody else, I have ever seen for a second baseman.

Another thing, everybody is just worried about the offensive stats, but it is also about defense. A word that Dan Uggla has never heard of in his life, which really hurts him as a second baseman.

Ian Kinsler takes it for me hes just as good as pedroia but gets less recognition because of the team he's on. while chase utley is a big hitter kinsler does the same thing he hits for average, he hits for power, he steals bases and has a great glove. it has to be between these two with pedroia a distant third

There should be only two names in this debate: Robinson Cano and Chase Utley. Within the parameters of this thread, the nod will go to Chase Utley, who has had a better body of work in the last few years. But, if you want to look at a guy who's trending upwards, someone who is going to be an all-star this year and for the next ten years, Robby Cano is your guy. Cano is a career .308 hitter, with an .827 OPS (Last year .320 with .872 OPS; This year .336 with 1.002 OPS). He hit 25 HR last year and is on pace for 40 currently. He's a gold-glove caliber player, who can make plays that no one else can. He doesn't strike out a lot, surprising for a free-swinger. The only thing he doesn't do well is steal bases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back