Battlefield Potluck: Wolverine vs. A Jedi

Who wins?

• Wolverine

• Jedi Knight

Results are only viewable after voting.

JGlass

Unregistered User
Welcome to Battlefield Potluck, an area more dangerous than a North Korean Minefield and an all you can eat buffet with Matt Hardy. Here you will decide the fate of two combatants as they throw down against one another in a battle to knockout or incapacitation.

This week's combatants include one of Marvel's most popular characters, Wolverine, and one of the noblest warriors in the galaxy, a Jedi.

Let's look at a few facts first...

Wolverine

Wolverine has a skeleton that is made up of adamantium, an unbreakable of changeable metal. In addition to the skeleton, he has a set of adamantium claws, three on each hand, that can cut through any material known to man, except adamantium.

Wolverine's real mutant power, though, is his healing factor, which allows him to rapidly recover from most injuries. While Wolverine can still be severely injured, nothing can keep him down for long.

Another advantage Wolverine holds over his enemies is his heightened senses. While this might sound like a fairly trivial skill, it means that any stealth tactics that Wolverine's opponent may try to use will become ineffective.

Finally, it's worth mentioning that Wolverine is skilled at many forms of hand to hand combat. Wolverine doesn't just rely on his strength and built in weaponry, he also knows a variety of martial arts and is skilled with various forms of weapons as well.

A Jedi

Let me start by saying that we will be using an average Jedi to make it fair. That means no Luke Skywalker, no Yoda, no Samuel L. Jackson, just your average Jedi. Also, it is a Jedi, not a Sith Lord, as Sith Lords have different, arguably stronger powers. Any Jedi, though, is considerably powerful.

A Jedi's best friend is his or her lightsaber. This device comes in many forms, but is most often portrayed as a long sword with a blade that is made up of a powerful laser. In addition to being powerful enough to kill most living things with one swift cut through the flesh, it can also cut through any material known to man, which causes an immediate conundrum with Adamantium.

While lightsabers can be used by anyone, though, the Force is something that can only be utilized by the Jedi. While a true Jedi would never use the Force as an offensive technique, the Force could provide them with a nearly impenetrable defense, as they can use the Force to push enemies away, move objects to block the enemy's path, increase their speed, or heal themselves.

So now the debate begins, who would win? You decide! Vote for the combatant you think has the best chance of winning by incapacitating or knocking out their opponent. This means that, while killing is an option, they can also win by rendering their opponent unconscious, making it so their opponent has no ability to fight back for an extended period of time, or anything that you can imagine. Remember, try to be as objective as possible, because while one of these combatants might be your favorite, they might not be the winner!

I'm going to try to make this a weekly thing if it catches on, and I have plenty of ideas for the next edition of Battlefield Potluck, which will occur in two weeks from today.

Based on both Wolverines healing powers, and the Jedi Force healing powers, that this will be a match to the death. That works, because Wolverines tenacity in an attack would lead the Jedi to use lethal force, so neither side are going to have a distinct advantage in that regard. Also, both sides have enhanced senses, so that is a moot power for both.

Now onto the battle. For me, The Jedi wins this hands down. I love Wolverine, but he's just mismatched here against a much stronger opponent.

There are 2 reasons why I think the Jedi wins.
1. The Force should keep Wolverine at a distance for the majority of this battle. The Jedi's ability to push Wolverine away, put obstacles in his path, and to use enhanced speed and jumping ability. Unfortunately for the Jedi, however, he doesn't have much long-range offense. So while this doesn't ultimately help the Jedi incapacitate Wolverine, it does allow him to pick and choose when he wants to engage his opponent. Wolverine might be able to throw weapons at him, but the Jedi can use the force to push them aside.

2. The Lightsaber SHOULD be able to cut through Adamantium. The Lightsaber can cut through all materials, so one swipe of the Lightsaber and Wolverines claws are no longer a factor. This is a HUGE plus for the Jedi (and why I pick him over Wolverine), since the claws are Wolverines only weapons of immediate death.

While a clawless Wolverine could still theoretically beat the opponent to death, his problem is that his opponent is a Jedi. The Jedi could use the force to push Wolverine off of him at any point (and heal), nullifying Wolverines only killing potential.

So for me, the only option is the Jedi.

i would havto agree with and go with Jedi. wolverine has the power but even a average jedi could force push and light saber his head like a droid.

but i wouldnt doubt that wolverine could go through a couple of jedi before one of them take him down. he would be squashed quickly by a great jedi like Obi-Wan.

Honestly how is this even a debate? A Jedi wins hands down because of on thing the force. To kill Wolverine all you need to do is cut off his head which actually is pretty simple to do with a light saber. I think a more even matchup would be a Jedi with no force vs Wolverine however with the force being a factor Jedi wins always.

This is definitely the Jedi's match to lose, the light saber is practically kryptonite to Wolverine and one false move on his part and this one is over. I have no doubt that Wolverine could run through a few inexperienced padawons; but the average Jedi is just too much for Wolverine to handle.

I'm not a comic book nerd, but I recall reading a comic where Wolverine fought the Hulk and the Hulk "killed" him and ripped off his flesh or something, until he was nothing of bones. Hulk then buried the skull of Wolverine somewhere and eventually the skull regrew flesh and a body. So pretty much, because of Wolverines incredible healing power, he is unable to be killed.

How do you beat this?

Wolverine awakens to find his lower half missing, his body having been ripped in half by the Hulk minutes earlier. Using his keen sense of smell, he finds his legs have been thrown to the top of a mountain. As he climbs up a mountain to retrieve his legs, he recalls the events leading up to his current situation.

and I believe this is the one where he buried the skull.

At Banner's Lair, Banner and his descendant, Bobbi-Jo feed a baby hulk and they talk about Logan's arrival. He's right on time, when he crashes the Fantastic-Car previously owned by the Hulk Gang right into their trailer park/camp, decaptating some, and setting off a bomb on board to blow the rest of them to hell. The survivors are treated to a last meal of Logan's claws, and even Bobbi-Jo doesn't survive.

Pappy Banner emerges from his cave, seeming to have control of his Hulk strength in his human body. they fight, and Wolverine seems to gut him until the Hulk emerges once again!

Twelve hours later, Billy-Bob Banner returns from his fiend's house with the Jim Belushi movies they sent him for to find all of his clan wiped out except Pappy Banner and Little Baby Banner.

Pappy keels over in pain, not understanding why, since he's always been eating his opponents in the past. Billy-Bob reminds him of Logan's healing factor, just as Logan cuts his way out of Pappy's back, killing him.

Wolverine can't be beat.

Wolverine: I want these mother f'n Jedi's off this mother f'n plane.

Wolverine. A Jedi could put up a fight, but Wolverine would win. Lightsabers can cut through anything? Shouldn't it first hit the target? Jedi have a hard time hitting each other. Just imagine trying to hit somebody who's nicknamed "Weapon X". The Jedi have The Force? So? A Jedi could sense Logan's presence. Logan could smell a Jedi and hear him/her walking. He has animal instincts in case you forgot. Hurl as many objects as you like at Wolverine. It's not like we haven't seen him slice through absurdly thick objects before. Hell, he might even withstand a lightsaber slash. Wasn't he the only person capable of withstanding a heavy onslaught of Phoenix' psychic blasts while everyone else disintegrated in the blink of an eye in the movie? Hasn't he been shown to suffer all sorts unbelievable abuse from guys like Apocalypse, Onslaught, Juggernaut, Hulk and of course Magneto ripping his adamantium off. Could a Jedi possibly survive anything of the sort? Hell no. They are still as fragile as the footsoldiers Wolverine dispatches without a sweat. I think that even if it would be hard to hit a born fighting machine with a lightsaber, it would still have some issues getting the job done properly. Even so. Isn't Wolverine's healing ability the same as Deadpool? The man who constantly gets his head cut off, but still lives? Yeah, it seems a cut from a lightsaber may just annoy Logan rather than finally put the perrenial Marvel badass down.

The Jedi don't have the killer instinct Wolverine has. The Jedi are presented as being more diplomatic than warriors. The opposite is the case of Wolverine. There is just as much danger, if not more to Wolverine's claws than there is to a lightsaber. Jedi are skilled fighters, but so is Wolverine. Who also happens to be deadly and highly aggressive.

Wolverine. A Jedi could put up a fight, but Wolverine would win. Lightsabers can cut through anything? Shouldn't it first hit the target? Jedi have a hard time hitting each other.

Firstly, Jedi don't fight each other, Jedi fight against the Dark Side, so I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that they have a hard time hitting each other when they don't even fight other Jedi.

Secondly, what exactly is Wolverine going to use to block a lightsaber blow? The reason Sith and Jedi have a hard time hitting each other is because both are trained in the are of the Lightsaber, Wolverine has not been, nor does he have a defense against it.

Just imagine trying to hit somebody who's nicknamed "Weapon X". The Jedi have The Force? So? A Jedi could sense Logan's presence. Logan could smell a Jedi and hear him/her walking. He has animal instincts in case you forgot. Hurl as many objects as you like at Wolverine. It's not like we haven't seen him slice through absurdly thick objects before. Hell, he might even withstand a lightsaber slash. Wasn't he the only person capable of withstanding a heavy onslaught of Phoenix' psychic blasts while everyone else disintegrated in the blink of an eye in the movie? Hasn't he been shown to suffer all sorts unbelievable abuse from guys like Apocalypse, Onslaught, Juggernaut, Hulk and of course Magneto ripping his adamantium off.

None of the fights or tactics you mentioned match the Jedi fighting style. Not only do Jedi have the clear advantage with the use of the lightsaber; but they also essentially have the same power than Magneto holds over Wolverine. A Jedi would have no problem using the force to take advantage of the metals running through Wolverines veins.

A quick decapitation, and a few slices right through the brain and Wolverine is done for.

Could a Jedi possibly survive anything of the sort? Hell no. They are still as fragile as the footsoldiers Wolverine dispatches without a sweat. I think that even if it would be hard to hit a born fighting machine with a lightsaber, it would still have some issues getting the job done properly. Even so. Isn't Wolverine's healing ability the same as Deadpool? The man who constantly gets his head cut off, but still lives? Yeah, it seems a cut from a lightsaber may just annoy Logan rather than finally put the perrenial Marvel badass down.

Firstly, obviously a Jedi couldn't withstand what Wolverine can, as Jedi are essentially human in the sense that they bleed and die like we do; but it's irrelevant because Wolverine isn't gonna be able to get within ten feet of a Jedi without losing a few limbs.

The Jedi don't have the killer instinct Wolverine has. The Jedi are presented as being more diplomatic than warriors. The opposite is the case of Wolverine. There is just as much danger, if not more to Wolverine's claws than there is to a lightsaber. Jedi are skilled fighters, but so is Wolverine. Who also happens to be deadly and highly aggressive.

True, the Jedi are keepers of the peace; but that doesn't mean they don't have a killer instinct, I think the proof lies in every Star Wars movie/tv show/comic book ever created, in fact the Jedi have far better overall instincts that Wolverine could ever dream of.

While his claws are certainly dangerous, there an up close and personal weapon, and you can't get up close to a Jedi unless you have some way of defending the lightsaber, and as far as I know, the only thing able to combat a lightsaber, is another lightsaber.

Interesting battle here. On one hand you have Wolverine, a trained killing machine who is supposedly indestructible force (though Magneto provided a pretty good way of halting Logan), on the other you have the powers of the force which are huge in power. Logan's healing factor's going to play a large role here, but it has been explored in the comics and well, there are points where the healing factor doesn't do so good. In fact it's been shown several times that those powers can be bypassed if you keep testing it without a chance of a break, they will fail. And if the Jedi can halt Wolverine mid-attack and keep pulverising him with a lightsaber, that's all she wrote.

The Lightsaber is the ultimate determining factor here. Wolverine would have a hard time getting close enough to do some damage given the force powers. He has great martial art skills, but the Jedi is no slouch in a fight. Only way that he has any chance is to somehow knock the Lightsaber away long enough to grab it. Then the Jedi is in trouble. Woverine with a Lightsaber could spell the end. If that dosent happen, Jedi wins after a quick few swipes of the blade.

Magneto would have a better shot at the removal & use of a Lightsaber against the Jedi.

Two things worth mentioning regarding some of the debates.

The way I see it, the adamantium and lightsaber can react one of two ways. Either the adamantium could block the lightsaber and vice-versa, or the lightsaber would simply phase through the adamantium, and vice-versa. The reason it can only be one or the other is because in the Marvel Universe nothing can change the formation of adamantium once is has cooled, and in the Star Wars Universe a lightsaber can cut through anything. You must balance out the realities of the two universes, and I think these two possibilities do just that.

The former option makes it much more likely to be a defensive match up and slightly tilts the scales in Wolverine's favors, as most of his weak spots will be protected by the adamantium. At the same time, the Jedi will have an even easier time blocking Wolverine's attacks, because they can simply use their lightsaber to deflect any punches, kicks, or slashes Wolverine would attempt.

The latter option changes the battle into an all out slice and dice. Once Wolverine takes a swing at close range with the Jedi, the only way the Jedi saves him or herself from a deep wound is by dodging the attack, because attempting to parry with the lightsaber would hurt Wolverine, but not slow his attack. On the other side of things, Wolverine would have to pick his spots very carefully, because if the Jedi got two or three well placed slices with the lightsaber, he could find himself in a bad way very quickly.

I tend to lead towards the lightsaber phasing through the adamantium, as it seems more realistic. However, this means that the lightsaber will not change the shape or density of the adamantium, and it will not sever Wolverine's limbs.

And for those of you bringing up Magneto ripping the Adamantium off of Wolverine's body... that's true, he did do that, but Magneto can manipulate the molecules that compose Adamantium down to the very atom. Only the most powerful Jedis can do that, and even then I'm not sure that's a power held by any known Jedi or if it's simply a possibility.

The other thing I want to mention is that Jedis are powerful warriors, but not great multitaskers. I say this because many of the arguments here operate under the assumption that the Jedi will be able to hold Wolverine with the Force and then slice at him with their lightsabers. This simply isn't realistic. Jedis need to concentrate completely while using the Force, meaning they wouldn't be able to actively duel Wolverine at the same time. The Force will certainly have it's uses in battle, but besides boosting the Jedi's abilities (speed, jumping ability, ability to heal self), the only way it's going to help them as a weapon would be to push Wolverine away, giving the Jedi a few seconds to regroup.

Firstly, Jedi don't fight each other, Jedi fight against the Dark Side, so I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that they have a hard time hitting each other when they don't even fight other Jedi.
You get the point I'm trying to make. Don't get fancy with me, boah'!

Secondly, what exactly is Wolverine going to use to block a lightsaber blow? The reason Sith and Jedi have a hard time hitting each other is because both are trained in the are of the Lightsaber, Wolverine has not been, nor does he have a defense against it.
You saying adamantium couldn't block or even withstand the lightsaber? That's kinda biased. Based on fact, adamantium can't be destroyed while at the same time, lightsabers can't be destroyed. Mixing this with Wolverine's healing abilities... I'd say it's an even match.

None of the fights or tactics you mentioned match the Jedi fighting style. Not only do Jedi have the clear advantage with the use of the lightsaber; but they also essentially have the same power than Magneto holds over Wolverine. A Jedi would have no problem using the force to take advantage of the metals running through Wolverines veins.
When have you ever seen Jedi mold a metal object? When have they ever displayed any trace of magnetism? Telepathy and magnetism aren't the same thing.
A quick decapitation, and a few slices right through the brain and Wolverine is done for.
The man has his bones ripped from his body, gets concussions that kill normal people and has another person with a copy of his powers go with the running gag of being beheaded and alive. Considering there has never been a depiction of Wolverine being killed but has been branded by side-evidence as being able to withstand even a beheading (if a lightsaber could even have that effect on him).

Firstly, obviously a Jedi couldn't withstand what Wolverine can, as Jedi are essentially human in the sense that they bleed and die like we do; but it's irrelevant because Wolverine isn't gonna be able to get within ten feet of a Jedi without losing a few limbs.
Really now? So now Jedi are these god-like fighters that can blow limbs away in a whim. Yet they still get wiped out by an army of bounty hunters who have no such power.

True, the Jedi are keepers of the peace; but that doesn't mean they don't have a killer instinct, I think the proof lies in every Star Wars movie/tv show/comic book ever created, in fact the Jedi have far better overall instincts that Wolverine could ever dream of.
Is that why they always get deceived? Most of the times I see Jedi their plot revolves around being deceived by a political figure eventually being wiped out because of it.

While his claws are certainly dangerous, there an up close and personal weapon, and you can't get up close to a Jedi unless you have some way of defending the lightsaber,and as far as I know, the only thing able to combat a lightsaber, is another lightsaber.

That's if a Jedi is able to land the first punch. We've seen Jedi be killed by mere guns and droids. They aren't perfect.

This fight is very evenly matched. Argue every point in it, it's still even. Wolverine is a superhuman with an extremely high resistance and killer insticts while the Jedi is a normal human with telepathy and a sword that is said to cut through any thing but another lightsaber. Considering the Jedi in the OP is described as average, I'd he won't have as much a mastery of the Force to actually manipulate the adamantium. Not that any Jedi could even do it. THe Jedi will have sub-par lightsaber skills as noteriety on that department would mean "not average" as well as with the Force.

Yoda? Yeah, probably. Mace Windu? Well he is Samuel "Motherfuckin'" Jackson. Can't put anything past him. An average jedi? Like the one's the droids and clones clobbered? Hmm... Nope. Don't see it.

I just think people are not uderstanding that this is not a jedi master like Yoda, Luke, Obi-won, Mace, etc. this is just an average run of the mill jedi, and they can be killed, fuck Ep. III featured the near extinction of Jedi's and that was through a clone army, oh and none of those pesky clones had near the abilities of a Wolverine, also in order for a jedi to use force healing he must focus on it, and with an average jedi is takes extreme concentration, something Wolverine WILL NOT allow you to have in a fight. Wolverine's healing factor however just works, he doesn't even have to give it a second thought, and if a his adimantium were ripped from his body, it may take time for Logan to heal but once he did, his healing factor would be stronger, making him harder to defeat

Really I think it's pretty even, only thing I think would give the Jedi an advantage would be if they're able to use the Jedi mind trick on Logan, but than that bring sme back to my question of just how powerful does a jedi need to be in order to use the jedi mind trick, and if you're claiming the jedi would just use the force to keep Wolverine back, Wolverine knows how to use a fucking gun fool, and unless this Jedi/Wolverine fight is taking place in the fucking matrix, and the Jedi is Neo, I don't think the Jedi is going to be able to stop bullets and Logan at the same time.

And the argument where the light saber can cut through anything is complete crap

The lightsaber's blade cuts through most substances without resistance. It leaves cauterized wounds in flesh, but can be deflected by another lightsaber's blade, or by energy shields. Some exotic saber-proof materials have been introduced in the Expanded Universe.

If there are already "saber-proof" materials in the Star Wars universe than what makes you think that if Adimantium was apart of that universe it wouldn't be a "saber-proof" material? for me the lightsaber is a non-issue in this fight, would it do damage yes, but I don't see a jedi being able to use it to hack off Logan's limbs or anything like, Wolverine would be able to heal from any saber-wounds he receives in this fight with out a problem

I guess for me the only way I see a Jedi winning is if they're able to Jedi mind trick Wolverine into giving up, other than that Wolverine is just gonna go and go and go and go and go... until he kills the jedi or is unable to get up, and the jedi escapes, wolverine has been in many fights with mutants and other super-villains with similar powers and abilities that the jedi's have, & defeated them, so I really don't see where a jedi wins this easily (as many people are claiming), I think eventually Wolverine would get close enough and then it's game over for the jedi

That said if this was a jedi master, the likes of Mace, Yoda, Skywalker, or Obi-Wan, then it's a whole different story, still and epic knockdown drag out fight but one a jedi master walks away from on top

Most of the main issues have been addressed - what kind of Jedi is this we are talking about - a Jedi Master like Yoda or Mace Windu or a Dark Jedi like Exar Kun who would use the Dark Side powers to kill Wolverine where he stood through Force Choke, Force Lightning or something even more insidious like ripping him to pieces or blocking off an artery in his brain - or whether Wolverine's adamantium skeleton would prove resistant to a lightsabre?

If we assume that this is the run of the mill Jedi who will be more likely to use their powers to bolster their own abilities and not someone like a Skywalker, Horn, Windu or Yoda or a Dark Jedi then the most important issue is the effectiveness of the lightsabre. As mentioned, the Expanded Universe does bring in sabre-proof materials meaning that it is possible that adamantium could resist too as it seems to be a very similar material to Mandalorian iron.

However, personally, as most Jedi that would stand and fight Wolverine would be adept with a sabre and has the defensive skills to withstand the furious attacks Logan will no doubt use then I think it comes down to Wolverine's heavy reliance on his emotions, specifically his fury, which without proper mental defences makes him suspectible to even the most rudimentary Jedi mind tricks.

The Jedi win here. He has the upper hand due to the force, whether it is on the dark side or not. Wolverine would not be able to withstand a lightsaber pro in a battle. Then there's force abilities. What if the jedi is on the dark side of the force? Force Lightning for the win! As much as I like Wolverine, he has no chance here. Jedi wins in a one sided match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back